Del Potro Chances Against Gonzo [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Del Potro Chances Against Gonzo

Iván
01-17-2007, 06:01 PM
6/10

No one is talking about Gonzo. His chances are very quite. The young argentine might cause a shock here.

Is gonzo injured or lacking fitness?

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:02 PM
don't think so Gozno beat him in straight sets this year

Adler
01-17-2007, 06:05 PM
But this time Del Potro is more experienced. Gonzo in 4

*Viva Chile*
01-17-2007, 06:58 PM
6/10

No one is talking about Gonzo. His chances are very quite. The young argentine might cause a shock here.

Is gonzo injured or lacking fitness?

Because it seems that most MTF doesn't like Gonzo :sad:

And Feña is not injured or lacking fitness, simply is the start of the year, and Gonzo is known for his fans for not starting the year always succesfully (expect when he started winning Auckland in 2005).

Fernando will win against JMDP probably in 4 ;)

jayjay
01-17-2007, 07:04 PM
don't think so Gozno beat him in straight sets this year

No he didn't. They played twice last year, in Vina Del Mar, JMDP gave a good showing and lost in 2 tight sets. Then at the end of 2006, they met again, this time in Basel. It was a chance for JMDP to get a win over a tired Gonzalez, but lack of experience cost him in the decider.

Gonzalez is obviously the fav, and if it goes the distance he will be the heavy fav as JMDP has never played a 5 set match yet, but JMDP certainly has the capability to cause a minor upset, soon he will be winning these matches regularly, it's just a matter of time and experience. :)

cmurray
01-17-2007, 07:25 PM
I say Gonzo wins this one, but Delpo might press him a little. I'm looking foward to espn NOT SHOWING IT BECAUSE NO AMERICANS ARE PLAYING. ahem. Sorry for shouting but it pisses me off. Well, actually if your name happens to be Nadal or Federer they'll show your matches too...otherwise, no.

jazar
01-17-2007, 07:28 PM
gonzo will win this one, del potro doesnt quite have it in him yet. but it will be a close 3 or 4 setter

RickDaStick
01-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Gonzo is 3 maybe 4

CooCooCachoo
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Gonzo in 5, but JMDP has all the weapons to take him out. Let's hope Gonzalez plays like it is the World Series again. He's a home run hitter.

*Ljubica*
01-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Much as I love JM I am realistic enough to say he doesn't have much chance at this stage in his career. As jayjay says - he has never played a 5-setter before, and he had never won a match in a Slam until this week! Good as he is - he's still only just 18, and lacking in the experience of pressure situations, and also in stamina and physical strength to play someone like Gonzalez. Their match in Basel was very close and JM was a break up in the final set - but I think it will be at least another year or so before he'll win big matches like this. Always modest and honest, ths is what JM says of his chances in a newspaper article:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=875883&origen=relacionadas

"Jugué un par de veces con él y lo tuve cerca, pero si no hago las cosas perfectamente no voy a poder ganarle. El está por encima mío en físico y en tenis también, pero si estoy diez puntos le puedo dar batalla. La verdad es que todavía no estoy para jugar cinco sets en este nivel",

“I've played against him twice and I wasn't far away from winning, but if I make mistakes I'm not going to be able to win. He is better than me both at playing tennis, and he is more physically fit than me. I can fight him, but to be honest, I don't think I'm ready to play five sets at this level".

Adler
01-17-2007, 08:35 PM
I say Gonzo wins this one, but Delpo might press him a little. I'm looking foward to espn NOT SHOWING IT BECAUSE NO AMERICANS ARE PLAYING. ahem. Sorry for shouting but it pisses me off. Well, actually if your name happens to be Nadal or Federer they'll show your matches too...otherwise, no.
agree. Eurosport prefers showing women singles matches like ex. Mauresmo vs No.200 player or sth rather than an even match

Sutti
01-17-2007, 08:37 PM
"I can fight him, but to be honest, I don't think I'm ready to play five sets at this level".[/QUOTE]

FIGHT DELPO :boxing:

Merton
01-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Very slim.

Viken01
01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
slim chances for del portro

Fergie
01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Feña will win in 3 or 4 tough sets

cobalt60
01-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I think Gonzalez will win but I sure as hell hope JM puts up a fight.

GugaRocksMySocks
01-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Gonzalez will win in my opinion...not that i'll get to see the match :rolleyes: god i hate eurosport :mad:

BATES
01-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Head to Head

2006 - Vina del Mar, Chile (Clay)
Gonzalez d Del Potro 6-3 7-6(4)

2006 - Basel, Switzerland (Carpet)
Gonzalez d Del Potro 5-7 6-4 6-4

Ernham
01-17-2007, 09:46 PM
3/10

Don't count on it.

Bilbo
01-17-2007, 09:53 PM
del potro should win that match

NicoFan
01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm totally excited for this match - I'm rooting for Fernando but really like JM and think he has a great future. I think Fernando will win in 4, but I hope that JM puts up a huge fight.

Though I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the quote from JM that Rosie put up. Fight dude fight. Don't give up before the match even starts. Go in there and say that maybe Fernando has more experience but you are going to make him fight for every freaking point!

Apemant
01-17-2007, 11:14 PM
agree. Eurosport prefers showing women singles matches like ex. Mauresmo vs No.200 player or sth rather than an even match

I'd really want to know who decides what to show, and on what basis. The situation you mention looks awfully like sexism to me, or rather, kinda silly attempt to avoid being accused of sexism. Don't know which of that is worse.

Bloodletting
01-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Considering the stamina+experience factor, Gonzo should win the match, but if Gonzalez starts cold and gets surprised by JMDP on first two sets he might choke and loose on straight

*Viva Chile*
01-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Considering the stamina+experience factor, Gonzo should win the match, but if Gonzalez starts cold and gets surprised by JMDP on first two sets he might choke and loose on straight
C'mon.... :rolleyes: Gonzo is not Massu :o (grrrrr.... I'm still upset with him till the match with Djoko :mad: )

JustmeUK
01-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Fena to win this one. Hopefully both play scintilliating tennis and it's shown where I can watch it.

As for MTF not supporting Fena, all I can say is he's got my support above everyone else :).

Conita
01-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Maybe if it was the best of 3
not on GS
just like he said Gonzalez at the moment is the fitter and also better player.
But the first sets will be crucial for JMDP if he really wants a win he has to take it in 3. Which will be very hard

Gonzo Hates Me!
01-18-2007, 02:08 AM
Gonzo is super duper. He won't lose... yet

Sparko1030
01-18-2007, 04:19 AM
I expect a close match-just look at the results of their last two matches. I don't want to jinx Fernando but I think he will pull it off. JM is dangerous though and Fena had better not underestimate him.....

Rogiman
01-18-2007, 04:29 AM
It's a Grand Slam, Gonzo sucks at these, and at the AO he sucks the most, so I give the big Argentine a decent chance.

*Viva Chile*
01-18-2007, 04:31 AM
It's a Grand Slam, Gonzo sucks at these, and at the AO he sucks the most, so I give the big Argentine a decent chance.

not much as the player you have in your avatar :rolleyes:

Rogiman
01-18-2007, 04:38 AM
not much as the player you have in your avatar :rolleyes:I don't remember stating otherwise, my reply would have been similar had Ljubicic faced Del Potro, but it's Gozo who faces him, and Gonzo sucks at GS events and at the AO most of all, deal with it.

Bloodletting
01-18-2007, 04:49 AM
C'mon.... :rolleyes: Gonzo is not Massu :o (grrrrr.... I'm still upset with him till the match with Djoko :mad: )

I actually find Gonzo much more of a choker than Massú. Massú did not choke against Djokovic; he did not get a chance to breathe at all

TheHawk
01-18-2007, 08:50 AM
“I've played against him twice and I wasn't far away from winning, but if I make mistakes I'm not going to be able to win. He is better than me both at playing tennis, and he is more physically fit than me. I can fight him, but to be honest, I don't think I'm ready to play five sets at this level".
Wow, spot on I would say now!

*Ljubica*
01-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Wow, spot on I would say now!

Yes - sadly. But the kid is only just 18 and to take Gonzalez to a final set was impressive. In the end he was too exhausted to continue and went off court crying :tears: Get well soon JM :hug:

Apemant
01-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Gonzo, the ruthless killer of youngsters' hopes. First Korolev, now JMDP. :devil:

But, they still have plenty of time to prove themselves, much more than Gonzo, so :yeah: to him.

CooCooCachoo
01-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Gonzo in 5, but JMDP has all the weapons to take him out. Let's hope Gonzalez plays like it is the World Series again. He's a home run hitter.

Voilà. :p