Show some love for the Israeli players [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Show some love for the Israeli players

BeegusDeeckus
01-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Dudi Sela, a young and promising Israeli player lost today to Safin, after being only 2 points away from a win, apparently there was a super light drizzle and Safin asked for a break, after which he came back and won the match :(

Lets show him and Shahar Peer some love people....

ljubicic_
01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
wtf..What's your'e problem? It isn't Safin's fault that Dudi choked

Sela had to win that match and he didn't

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Mazel Tov! :bigclap:

Klaas_nalbandian
01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
woehoe

Or Levy
01-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Safin admitted in the interview that the rain wasn't that severe, and he said something like 'I'm not an asshole, but I used the opprotunity..."

He knew he had nothing left in the tank in that set, and needed the break.

As he said, he used the chance, I just wish it was on someone else's expense.

What Dudi need, more than that win over Safin - is a good sponser, the poor kid is broke, traveling without a coach, etc. I just hope today's performance managed to impress someone.

Henry Chinaski
01-17-2007, 05:14 PM
awesome username beegus. consider love shown.

Black Adam
01-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Some love: Impressive for a guy seemingly unknown, I am impressed, better luck next time.

RonE
01-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Dudi Sela, a young and promising Israeli player lost today to Safin, after being only 2 points away from a win, apparently there was a super light drizzle and Safin asked for a break, after which he came back and won the match :(

Lets show him and Shahar Peer some love people....

Our wonderful tennis federation needs to show them some love first :rolleyes:

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 06:55 PM
SELA is the one to blame for losing that match and the only israeli player who deserves support is peer

cobalt60
01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
LOVE :hug:

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 07:14 PM
if thats not sarcastic then thats sad!

jazar
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
i was certainly impressed by sela and i'm now a fan. he reminds me of olivier rochus. but he played a great match, just a shame he ran out of steam at the end

CooCooCachoo
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
I saw this Dudi already in Paris and I was very impressed. He has a lovely game.

Andyoni also get some love :worship:

Or Levy
01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Our wonderful tennis federation needs to show them some love first :rolleyes:

Sigh, I won't argue *that*, I felt so sad for him in the post-match interview, I didn't know he struggled so much money wise.

Tennis Federation, whoever, someone needs to help those young athlethes advance.

I was totally annoyed with the loss the entire day, Sharapova had to fry 3 hours in the heat, but a few drops were enough for a break in Dudi's game? No justice. :sad:

zicofirol
01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Safin admitted in the interview that the rain wasn't that severe, and he said something like 'I'm not an asshole, but I used the opprotunity..."

He knew he had nothing left in the tank in that set, and needed the break.

As he said, he used the chance, I just wish it was on someone else's expense.

What Dudi need, more than that win over Safin - is a good sponser, the poor kid is broke, traveling without a coach, etc. I just hope today's performance managed to impress someone.
a jew that is broke, huh? thats the first time I have ever heard that, lmao...

seriously though, you woudl think he having success in juniors that the Israeli Tennis federation would really support him, I mean is there any other young isreali players anywhere near where he is in ranking...

zicofirol
01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Sigh, I won't argue *that*, I felt so sad for him in the post-match interview, I didn't know he struggled so much money wise.

Tennis Federation, whoever, someone needs to help those young athlethes advance.

I was totally annoyed with the loss the entire day, Sharapova had to fry 3 hours in the heat, but a few drops were enough for a break in Dudi's game? No justice. :sad:

where did you see the postmatch interview? or read it...

cobalt60
01-17-2007, 07:48 PM
if thats not sarcastic then thats sad!

Take it any way you like. Thankfully you don't know me well or know what I ever could have meant by a post.

Or Levy
01-17-2007, 07:54 PM
a jew that is broke, huh? thats the first time I have ever heard that, lmao......

Yup, it had been known to happen from time to time....

seriously though, you woudl think he having success in juniors that the Israeli Tennis federation would really support him, I mean is there any other young isreali players anywhere near where he is in ranking...

Yes, I would think so as well, the problem is bigger than the Tennis Federation, though. There isn't enough investment in sports in Israel, but that's what usually happen when most of the money is going to national security...you gotta take it from somewhere. I think that many of the athlethes in Israel playing in individual sports who had serious accomplishments got where they got mostly with the aid of family/sponsers.

Regarding the interview: It was given to the Israeli media, therefore it is in Hebrew, I will translate in a bit, it was a really good one.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 08:00 PM
a jew that is broke, huh? thats the first time I have ever heard that, lmao...If that was supposed to be a joke, it wasn't funny.

That's really too bad to hear that Dudi is so financially strapped. Maybe such a promising performance will open some eyes and he can get some support, even if it's just a little.

zicofirol
01-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Yup, it had been known to happen from time to time....

Yes, I would think so as well, the problem is bigger than the Tennis Federation, though. There isn't enough investment in sports in Israel, but that's what usually happen when most of the money is going to national security...you gotta take it from somewhere. I think that many of the athlethes in Israel playing in individual sports who had serious accomplishments got where they got mostly with the aid of family/sponsers.

Regarding the interview: It was given to the Israeli media, therefore it is in Hebrew, I will translate in a bit, it was a really good one.

nice to see you got the joke, its refreshing to see a sense of humor on MTF, and that would be cool if you translated the post match interview...

*Ljubica*
01-17-2007, 08:31 PM
I only saw sets 2 and 3 before work this morming, but I was impressed with what I saw of Sela. He showed great fighting spirit and I am happy to show him some love :hug: Good luck to him in the future.

Adler
01-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Sela amazed me. So did Peer when she took a set off Martina Hingis and showed some good performance then, at RG
Good luck for those people ;)

TMJordan
01-17-2007, 08:37 PM
How much would it cost to sponser a guy like Dudi?

Or Levy
01-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Okay, here is the interview. My translation skills are usually better than this, but I did it really quickly, and as it's the first time I translated anything Tennis related, I may have gotten a few terms wrong. So I'm apologizing in advance...

Dudi Sela after losing for Safin: I wanted to die, I'm completely broken.

Tight, painful, dramatic, but mostly exciting. This is the only way you can describe the loss of Dudi Sela to Marat Safin in the second round of the AO. At the end of an heroic performance by the 21 years old Israeli, Sela only needed two points to win while leading 2:1 and 30:30 in the forth set. But then the rain started, Safin requested to stop playing, and after the break he turned the game around and won in five sets.

Sela, whose trainer is Ron Steel, was on the verge of tears at the end, when he made the call to his family in Israel. "(I swear) on my mother I would have won this match if it hasn't been for the rain break." The frustrated Sela said after the greatest game in his career, a game he won't forget for a long time.

"All of my energy dropped after the rain break, I'm completely broken right now" Said Sela in his talk with Ynet from Melbourne. "In the rain break I sat for 15 minutes and just felt completely drained. I didn't jump, I didn't preserve heat. I felt all of my energy leaving me"

Q:How did you feel after such a great game ending in defeat?

I wanted to die. It's difficult for me. It's a really bad feeling to be so close and not take the match. I had a very bad luck with the rain, but I am happy with the Tennis I played even though I think that in the match against Safin I played like top 100, not more. In the qualifying rounds (I think there's a word for it, but I'm not sure what it is) I was excellent, and my level of play was even better.

Q: Did what we see against Safin was your real level?

"My real level is higher, I can play like this every day. I hope this tournament is going to give me a push, it really helped me to play here against two players from the top and my goal is to do that all year, not just one game"

Safin himself had good things to say to Sela and told him after the game "I didn't expect you to play like this, if it wasn't for the rain, I don't know how it would have ended"

Sela, who is now expected to advance from his 202 ranking to around 165, would stay a few days in Melbourne before returning to Israel. Sela would probably retire from his next tournament, Challenger Rexham (spl?) in England and then return to the qualifying rounds in the ATP tournament in Zagreb.

Shahar Peer: Bummer, Bummer and Bummer again.

Like several hundreds Israeli fans, Shahar Peer was also in the stadium, the second most important in the melbourn compound where the AO is taking place. Peer, who reached the third round earlier with an easy win, joined the game at the beginning of the third set, but even her cheers did not prevent Sela's loss.

"I guess the Safins' mom is sitting in Russia asking for rain whenever it needed", joked Peer about the rain break which stopped Sela's momentum and helped Safin. This, following the rain break that hindered Peer two weeks ago, when she led 2:5, 4:6 on Safina, Marat's sister, who returned after the rain break and completed a turn-around in the semi-final of the Gold Coast.

Regarding Sela's loss, Shahar said "Bummer, Bummer and bummer again. Dudi played a very good game, the atmosphere was amazing and too bad it ended this way".

By the way, there was a break taken in Shahar's game as well, when the net fell during the second set. "It happened while I was serving, 0:3 advantage. I told my mother 'It's from god' But at the end I used it to my advantage and I won", said Shahar after the event and added "I played well and felt excellent again. After I broke serve in the first game I gained the confidence for the rest of the set. When I was 2:4 ahead there was a long game on my serve, but I took it and that's may have been what broke her. In the second set it was important she had no break points against me".

About her next opponent in the third round, the French woman Tatiana Golovin, Shahar said "Everyone knows she's a player of the highest possible level. One of the best. She is about my age and I hope to get even for the time I lost to her in the orange ball when we were 12".

Ofer Sela "I had to buy him shoes and shirts for the tournament"

Dudi's brother. Ofer Sela, who until lately took care of Dudi's career and pushed him forward, said after the dramatic loss "It hurts me that we'd never know how it would have ended if it hadn't been for the rain, even though I think that with Dudi's momentum, he had a good chance of winning. That moment he had energies and he was was relaxed. It would have been less cruel had he lost after missing a match point, but like this, with a rain break… it was really painful for me".

Brother Sela also told about his brother's difficult financial situation, the main problem which is keeping him from realizing his great potential: "I am glad that they finally saw in Israel what Dudi is really worth, but it hurts me that he can't develop as a player because of the financial problems. I hope someone steps up and realize it's a shame to let such a talent go to waste. The family doesn't have the means to help him, it's been 5 months that Dudi is traveling alone, without a coach.

"I hope that like in the case of other Tennis players, Israelis included, there would be someone who does something and take Dudi under his win, to help him get where he can be," added Ofer, "It's possible only with help. Before the AO, for example, I had to buy him shirts and shoes, because his contract with the clothing company that worked with him has ended, and he had nothing to take for the tournament. I hope things would change."

….

It goes on, but it's less interesting from here, different people and trainers comments....

cobalt60
01-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the translation.

Hugh Jaas
01-17-2007, 08:49 PM
[comment removed]

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO AIR YOUR OPINIONS ON ISRAELI/PALESTINIAN ISSUES

you will be banned if you break the rules again.-MTF

scoobs
01-17-2007, 08:55 PM
mazeltov.

I thought Sela played a great match and it was just the inexperience and the timing of the rain delay and how he handled that, that swung it Safin's way.

I hope he can kick on from this - I remember seeing his name a lot when I was following Andy Murray was playing Challengers - it's nice to see him on a big stage at last.

Fee
01-18-2007, 02:21 AM
That is so heart breaking to read. I knew Dudi would give Safin a good match, but I had no idea he would come that close to winning. His coach was with him in Sacramento last October, that must have been one of the last times they worked together. He's so hard working, it would be a shame if he had to leave tennis because of his lack of funds.

fenomeno2111
01-18-2007, 03:14 AM
The dude can play...hope he becomes a regular in the tour.

RonE
01-18-2007, 04:52 AM
a jew that is broke, huh? thats the first time I have ever heard that, lmao...

Let me let you in on a little secret- 99.99% of the people in this country don't give a s**t about tennis---> hence no money for the tennis federation-----> hence no sponsors or assistance to support young upcoming players.

Add to that the fact that young people have to go to the army between the ages of 18-21, a CRUCIAL time span in the professional tennis player's life, and that is another reason why they struggle so much.

Peer got to where she has thanks to her parents who are very well off financially. Dudi was not so lucky...

RonE
01-18-2007, 04:54 AM
That's really too bad to hear that Dudi is so financially strapped. Maybe such a promising performance will open some eyes and he can get some support, even if it's just a little.

Support???? In this country???? :spit: :rolls:

Pigs will fly first and I don't see Nadal sprouting wings any time soon :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-18-2007, 04:56 AM
Support???? In this country???? :spit: :rolls:

Pigs will fly first and I don't see Nadal sprouting wings any time soon :rolleyes::awww: That's really sad. :(

FedererGrandSlam
01-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Sad article, and I'm even more angry now that the match ended this way.
Dudi could really need the 3rd round money and points while lazy Marat is super-rich already and can afford to waste his talent. :rolleyes:

Or Levy
01-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Let me let you in on a little secret- 99.99% of the people in this country don't give a s**t about tennis---> hence no money for the tennis federation-----> hence no sponsors or assistance to support young upcoming players.

Add to that the fact that young people have to go to the army between the ages of 18-21, a CRUCIAL time span in the professional tennis player's life, and that is another reason why they struggle so much.

Peer got to where she has thanks to her parents who are very well off financially. Dudi was not so lucky...

Hmmm, to the best of my knowledge, Elite players army service is a part time army service, at best, doing a desk job, and while have a minimum hours they have to put it, it is definitly doesn't look like everyone else's army service, Tennis players are abroad half of the time, after all. And that's the way it should be, a compromise.

I think most of them feel good about getting the chance to do both things.

I don't think the army service is the real problem here, though if it is - it should be solved somehow, because elite players serve Israel much better playing their sport, rather than in their 3 years of army service.

Dudi's more acute problem had been the money, rather than the army service.

Beside, 80% of the people in Israel are interested in soccer, and it isn't like we got to the world cup more than, hmm, once? :rolleyes:

RonE
01-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Beside, 80% of the people in Israel are interested in soccer, and it isn't like we got to the world cup more than, hmm, once? :rolleyes:

Yes thats also true.

I guess for us to have a player with a big impact on the sport we will need someone who is very talented, physically fit, confident, mentally strong, is 100% devoted AND has a rich enough family to be able to support him through his developing years :)

Or Levy
01-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Yup.

Or the Lance Armstrong of Tennis, something like that, a real attention grabber...

almouchie
01-18-2007, 08:09 AM
i would think if he as good a talent as presented
someone (rich business countrymen) would come to his aid &
help out financially
if he is a good bet, that money could even be returned after he makes some money, consider it a loan , instead of sponsoring if no one wants that chance
isnt there something wants to buy Joarbichain , why not approach him

sometimes i think, taking on athletes, is a safer bet than many other investments.
Tennis is a difficult sport, mainly because its rich people that can afford all the expenses, or else secure some sposors early on

does t ATP help out in some way, maybe they should offer players money to travel & accomodations, especially for those in need (like a loan)

as opposed to the ridiculous amount of money they pay for stars for appearances(fees).