Ljubicic said no to Dubai! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ljubicic said no to Dubai!

Deathless Mortal
01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.net.hr/sport/page/2007/01/17/0003006.html

Organisators were offering him huge money to come there, but he refused because he promissed to show up on exhibition in Sarajevo that week.
"I don't want to say how much they offered me, but it was over 100.000 dollars"- he said. The exhibition is in Bosnia, Ljubo was born there, in Banja Luka, and he didn't want do dissapoint them with not showing up, so he reject it.
Nice to keep the promises :)

ljubicic_
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
:worship:Ljubo:worship: a man of his promises

mangoes
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Very nice of Ljubicic to keep his promise.

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 04:49 PM
That's a great gesture indeed. So there are still players around for whom the money isn't everything. :worship:

tangerine_dream
01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
People who publicly brag about their ability to reject the almighty dollar (and actually give the dollar amount) are classless and arrogant. :angel:

Deathless Mortal
01-17-2007, 04:59 PM
People who publicly brag about their ability to reject the almighty dollar (and actually give the dollar amount) are classless and arrogant. :angel:

You have problems or what? They were asking him about it... :retard:

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Well obviously Ljubicic is arrogant, the way he goes around slagging off other players is really classy.

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 05:07 PM
People forget quickly something like:

"He is stupid and a bad person".

:rolleyes:

Guybrush
01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
:yeah: to Ivan! :worship:

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

So true :worship: :worship:

RickDaStick
01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

So true :worship: :worship:

:retard:

Adler
01-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Nice gesture, especially when you take into account what happened to the region in 90s. Don't bitch him, for sure he rejected the possibility of gaining much more money

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 06:22 PM
i admire what he did but "I don't want to say how much they offered me, but it was over 100.000 dollars"- OK ivan will u please tell mehw much they offered u?

El Legenda
01-17-2007, 06:33 PM
some people are jealous, because they dont even make that much in a year :rolls: and he can reject it :lol:

Björki
01-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Ivan :yeah:

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Over U$ 100 000 for that bald clown ?

Dubai`s organisators are :cuckoo:

They did the same with sampras (dubai or quattar), offered him a million and he lost early.

El Legenda
01-17-2007, 06:40 PM

if you think thats crazy...Head gave him 3 million over 3 years :wavey:

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Who is Ljubicic ?? I haven't seen anyone with such name at Slams recently ?? Is he some new talented player?? Could some tell something about him

RickDaStick
01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Who is Ljubicic ?? I haven't seen anyone with such name at Slams recently ?? Is he some new talented player?? Could some tell something about him

Well if you dont know him then surely you have no idea who Roddick is considering in 2006

Ljubicic: 4 titles and 2 finals in 2006 - and already a title in 2007

Roddick: 1 title and 2 finals in 2006

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Well if you dont know him then surely you have no idea who Roddick is considering in 2006

but that cant possibly be the guy who lost to mardy fish at the australian open. Must have been his brother then!

RickDaStick
01-17-2007, 07:20 PM
but that cant possibly be the guy who lost to mardy fish at the australian open. Must have been his brother then!

This isnt the case with you but Roddick fans like Loremaster really have no room to talk about Grand Slams and bad losses. Sure Ivan has sucked in Grand Slams and has had MANYYYYYYYYYYY bad losses but Roddick hasnt been lights out either. Straight sets lost to Muller at his home Grand Slam. Wayne Arthurs on CLAY???? Sargis Sargsian, Alberto Martin who only managed 1 game the other day. Olivier Mutis, Who the hell is that guy anyways. Rainer Schuettler and a few others.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 07:22 PM
omg, people, grow up :lol:

Nice gesture, but he didn't say no to Doha :haha:

RickDaStick
01-17-2007, 07:28 PM
omg, people, grow up :lol:

Nice gesture, but he didn't say no to Doha :haha:

What's Doha have to do with this? He said no because he already has other plans.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 07:31 PM
What's Doha have to do with this? He said no because he already has other plans.You don't think he played Doha b/c he was paid nicely there? That's all. Plenty of players say no to tourneys for various reasons. I'm sure Roger was offered many hundreds of thousands to play Doha but decided against it for his own well-being. It's nice that Ljubicic honored his prior commitment but so have lots of guys :shrug:

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 07:35 PM
This isnt the case with you but Roddick fans like Loremaster really have no room to talk about Grand Slams and bad losses. Sure Ivan has sucked in Grand Slams and has had MANYYYYYYYYYYY bad losses but Roddick hasnt been lights out either. Straight sets lost to Muller at his home Grand Slam. Wayne Arthurs on CLAY???? Sargis Sargsian, Alberto Martin who only managed 1 game the other day. Olivier Mutis, Who the hell is that guy anyways. Rainer Schuettler and a few others.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Joke of the month.
comparing Andy to Mr.Invisible , Roddick(who is younger 3 years) has won GS, been in 3 finals, 3 SF and 4 QF to guy who was in 1 SF and QF

Regenbogen
01-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Nice gesture from Ljubicic :)

megadeth
01-17-2007, 07:43 PM

what's an organisator? :p

Guybrush
01-17-2007, 08:08 PM
i admire what he did but "I don't want to say how much they offered me, but it was over 100.000 dollars"- OK ivan will u please tell mehw much they offered u?

No, he want. :D

Guybrush
01-17-2007, 08:13 PM
some people are jealous, because they dont even make that much in a year :rolls: and he can reject it :lol:

In a year? I must work 14 years to earn $100.000. :sad:

But I'm still happy. Money is not everything. :)

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Dont take it personally:rolleyes:

Everybody is a fan of an odd and/or invisible player. Ljubicic, like nadal, is either hated or loved.

Deathless Mortal
01-17-2007, 08:20 PM
You don't think he played Doha b/c he was paid nicely there? That's all. Plenty of players say no to tourneys for various reasons. I'm sure Roger was offered many hundreds of thousands to play Doha but decided against it for his own well-being. It's nice that Ljubicic honored his prior commitment but so have lots of guys :shrug:

So, he was in form, ready for playing the tournaments, but he should have reject that offer, he shouldn't have play there 'cause he got some money because of his showing up? Look, he proved with this that the money is not the prior thing for him, but should he reject every tournament in which they are offering him some money?? I mean, there was no reason why he wouldn't play Doha...

jayjay
01-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Nice to keep the promises :)

What about his promise of making the 2nd week of a Slam more than twice in his career? :) :p

I don't know what all the fuss is about with you guys, surely DM posted this link so we could all take a look at Gemma Atkinson and not to read about some skinhead who loses early in Slams for a living?

Deathless Mortal
01-17-2007, 08:38 PM
What about his promise of making the 2nd week of a Slam more than twice in his career? :) :p

I don't know what all the fuss is about with you guys, surely DM posted this link so we could all take a look at Gemma Atkinson and not to read about some skinhead who loses early in Slams for a living?

He's still 27, you know... And yes, I know, and I'll not deny it, he sucks in slams, badly, but he's not losing early in slams for living, he's winning titles, and playing finals for living...

Metis
01-17-2007, 08:41 PM

:lol: Even Ljubo seems to be appreciating her charms in that photo.

Deathless Mortal
01-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Many people here hates Ljubo, I know that.
But the problem is when he does something good, you'll remember something what was not that good and then start to talk about that.

jayjay
01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Many people here hates Ljubo, I know that.
But the problem is when he does something good, you'll remember something what was not that good and then start to talk about that.

Well, I don't know about others, but I don't hate him. I just look at his record in major tournaments, and then look at the hype alot of the Croat fans give him, and it doesn't add up.

He's done well for himself, but he's not a great player. No player with a Slam record like that can claim to be so, and no Masters title or Masters Cup title to his name either.

It's funny that a poster here tries to put Roddick in the same bracket as Ljubicic (and I don't particularly give a toss about Roddick) because of some poor losses (all players have poor losses). One of these players is a Slam winner, and a 3-time Slam finalist, as well as winning 4 Masters titles, and the other has made the 2nd week of a Slam, twice, in a 8+ year professional career.

No contest, no? :shrug:

jayjay
01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
:lol: Even Ljubo seems to be appreciating her charms in that photo.

And so he should. :) :p

Deathless Mortal
01-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Well, I don't know about others, but I don't hate him. I just look at his record in major tournaments, and then look at the hype alot of the Croat fans give him, and it doesn't add up.

He's done well for himself, but he's not a great player. No player with a Slam record like that can claim to be so, and no Masters title or Masters Cup title to his name either.

It's funny that a poster here tries to put Roddick in the same bracket as Ljubicic (and I don't particularly give a toss about Roddick) because of some poor losses (all players have poor losses). One of these players is a Slam winner, and a 3-time Slam finalist, as well as winning 4 Masters titles, and the other has made the 2nd week of a Slam, twice, in a 8+ year professional career.

No contest, no? :shrug:

I didn't say he's a great player, this is a thread about how he reject that offer, and you were the one who start talking about his bad results, don't wans to argue though :wavey:

jayjay
01-17-2007, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Deathless Mortal;4702394]I didn't say he's a great player, this is a thread about how he reject that offer,

I know. I'm just saying.

and you were the one who start talking about his bad results,

It was just a bit of banter. :)

don't wans to argue though :wavey:

I'm not arguing either. Just talking. :)

Guybrush
01-17-2007, 09:33 PM

Croatians just CHEER for him and support the guy. WHY this is a problem?! Why the hell someone cannot support a guy that plays for his flag? WHY?! NO ONE said that he is the best in the world, not even close. But he is the #4 in the world right now and he is Croatian as us. The problem are not we Croatians that support OUR TOP 10 PLAYER, but all the idiots on the forum that will always have something to say against him, even if he donates all his money to the poor people or if he wins all the GS tournaments. Ok, he will not do none of those, but I'm sure that even in that case the MTF idiots will continue to attack him! :mad:

We Croatians LIKE Ljubo, the MTF haters HATE Ljubo. For me those that LIKE someone are better people of those that HATE someone. Thanks god I'm not one of the members of the second group. This are all frustrated idiots...

RickDaStick
01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Croatians just CHEER for him and support the guy. WHY this is a problem?! Why the hell someone cannot support a guy that plays for his flag? WHY?! NO ONE said that he is the best in the world, not even close. But he is the #4 in the world right now and he is Croatian as us. The problem are not we Croatians that support OUR TOP 10 PLAYER, but all the idiots on the forum that will always have something to say against him, even if he donates all his money to the poor people or if he wins all the GS tournaments. Ok, he will not do none of those, but I'm sure that even in that case the MTF idiots will continue to attack him! :mad:

We Croatians LIKE Ljubo, the MTF haters HATE Ljubo. For me those that LIKE someone are better people of those that HATE someone. Thanks god I'm not one of the members of the second group. This are all frustrated idiots...

The problem with these fools on MTF is that they dont feel like Ivan is the # 4 player in the world and that he sucks. well he can suck all he wants but the rankings dont lie and someone of these people cant accept that. Sure you can say he sucks at grand slams and whatever but he is still most likely ranked ahead of their favorite player and they cant stand that. For instance Loremaster says Ljubo sucks but he is ranked ahead of his favorite player Roddick so what does that make the Duckman?

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-17-2007, 09:52 PM
The problem with these fools on MTF is that they dont feel like Ivan is the # 4 player in the world and that he sucks. well he can suck all he wants but the rankings dont lie and someone of these people cant accept that. Sure you can say he sucks at grand slams and whatever but he is still most likely ranked ahead of their favorite player and they cant stand that. For instance Loremaster says Ljubo sucks but he is ranked ahead of his favorite player Roddick so what does that make the Duckman?
Yeh he wins against mickey mouse crap players in mickey mouse tournaments, and not getting anywhere in big tournaments. He plays like 30 tournaments a year, and his game is very average. The only reason he is no 4 is because the players around him are average or worse, and ppl go on about the depth in mens tennis.

RickDaStick
01-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeh he wins against mickey mouse crap players in mickey mouse tournaments, and not getting anywhere in big tournaments. He plays like 30 tournaments a year, and his game is very average. The only reason he is no 4 is because the players around him are average or worse, and ppl go on about the depth in mens tennis.

exactly and since the majority of mtf arent nadal or federer fans that means their favorite is ranked below Ljubo. So their favorites are worse then so they really have no room to talk.

denisgiann
01-17-2007, 10:23 PM

Actually i have great respect for Ljubicic and what he has achieved which by no means is trivial.The one think i almost hate about Ljubicic is his fans.And that, not because they support their player.But they try to show how great he is by comparing him to players that have gone deep into slams or even better won them.Like Roddick.I dont even remotely like Roddick but if you want to compare him with Ivan then its a no win situation.Clearly he is the more succesful player by miles.Hes got the big ones Ivan doesnt.Deal with it and move forward Ljubo fans:wavey: .

Horatio Caine
01-17-2007, 10:29 PM
It was good of him to do that, but he only did what you'd expect any reasonable person to do... ;)

Allure
01-17-2007, 10:45 PM
WTF I started reading this thread and then suddenly haters come in saying Ljubicic sucks and is classless & arrogant.:rolleyes: I admit I'm no fan of Ivan but why can't someone do a good thing and not be bashed? That's like Andy giving money to charity and someone comes in and post, ''Roddick sucks.'' WTF??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jayjay
01-17-2007, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE=Guybrush;4702541]Croatians just CHEER for him and support the guy. WHY this is a problem?! Why the hell someone cannot support a guy that plays for his flag? WHY?!

It's not a problem.

Ok, he will not do none of those, but I'm sure that even in that case the MTF idiots will continue to attack him! :mad:

We Croatians LIKE Ljubo, the MTF haters HATE Ljubo. For me those that LIKE someone are better people of those that HATE someone. Thanks god I'm not one of the members of the second group. This are all frustrated idiots..

I don't know about the history on MTF of Ljubicic hating, I don't generally read those threads (or any of the "I hate so and so..." threads), but you need to differentiate between people who just simply don't like the guy and make that obvious, and those who justifiably look at what matters (ie. his Tennis career) and point out the deficiencies in his career with regards to producing the goods in major tournaments.

If you can't accept the criticism of a player without labelling them "haters", then it doesn't leave much scope for discussion or analysis. For example, I like Nalbandian, he has had a good career and made alot of money (but his career could to date have been better), if someone says he has choked in some big Slam matches in his career, is it ok to just label that person a "hater" and dismiss their comments?

Er......no. Nalbandian has lost matches that he should not have lost. It's a fact, just because I like him doesn't change that. From what I can see, pretty much anytime, anyone says anything remotely critical about Ljubicic's major results, they are piled on as "haters". One could say those that jump on that train, are blind.

It's obvious when someone is being a WUM, and obvious when someone is trying to take a cold hard look at the facts. Some of the Ljubicic fans need to take that on board it seems.

RickDaStick
01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
its safe to say that Jayjay as a thing for Ivan

jayjay
01-17-2007, 11:39 PM

Re: dennisgiann's quote "The one thing i almost hate about Ljubicic is his fans."

It's just not possible to talk rationally about a player you like is it, IL? Back to the playground. :wavey:

nkhera1
01-17-2007, 11:45 PM

And yet Roddick is going to be higher ranked than Ljubicic considering he had one of his worst years and Ljubicic had one of his best.

Deivid23
01-18-2007, 12:04 AM
It's just not possible to talk rationally about a player you like is it, IL? Back to the playground. :wavey:

Welcome to MTF, Ljubicic can shoot his grandma and Croatian MTF population would praise him

Horatio Caine
01-18-2007, 12:06 AM

Nah, that's only me :inlove:

:bolt:

Snowwy
01-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Most people see this and forget that almost certainly he was asked aobut Dubai. I highly doubt he just randomly came out and said this.

I think it shows a lot about him. He may get a hard time here but all he deos is speak his mind, and I kind of like it.

Tennis is good for that, most of the top players are not boring while in other sports, they always say 'the right thing' which is a waste of time.

Deathless Mortal
01-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Welcome to MTF, Ljubicic can shoot his grandma and Croatian MTF population would praise him

Ivan would never kill his grandma!!! :rolleyes: :lol:

delsa
01-18-2007, 11:50 AM
That's what Santoro did last year in the famous Petit As tournament in Tarbes and delayed a bit the time when he'd join his DC partners to train and look how he was treated in response... :rolleyes:

Blue Heart24
01-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I lost fate in him...I'll keep cheering for him of course,but I dont beleive in this anymore....

Deathless Mortal
01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
I lost fate in him...I'll keep cheering for him of course,but I dont beleive in this anymore....

:confused:

Thread is NOT about his results and NOT about believing in Ivan!!

Blue Heart24
01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
:confused:

Thread is NOT about his results and NOT about believing in Ivan!!

so what?

croat123
01-20-2007, 03:00 AM
some of you are just ridiculous :o