Gasquet vs Monfils: who will win the battle of friends?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gasquet vs Monfils: who will win the battle of friends??

richie21
01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
i'll go with Gasquet in straight sets :o

Klaas_nalbandian
01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
me to richie

Marine
01-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Hope Richard !!!!!!!!!!!!

njorker
01-17-2007, 12:42 PM
They're meeting in the 3rd round?

well, it's Richie fo' sure! :yeah:

Hate the Monfils! :mad:

richie21
01-17-2007, 12:43 PM
what a close poll....lol :o

delsa
01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Heartbreaking for me this match...:sad:

But at the same time... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

I just hope it will be a great match.

The new Noah/Leconte friendship/rivalry of this epoch...:)

(Btw, i voted for Gaël to equilibrate the poll a bit more, the 2nd vote is my vote...)

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Richie will kick this clown ass as badly as possible :P

so Gasquet in straights

Ok seriously Gasquet has much more tools
- he is less tired
- he is better player in every aspect (ok Monfils has better serve)

I hope they will show it on WTAsport

Gasquet has serious shot on QF.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Heartbreaking for me this match...:sad:

I just hope it will be a great match.

The new Noah/Leconte friendship/rivalry of this epoch...:)

No way
Monfils ranking is 100% suited to him, 50-60 is where he belongs and considering his style his career won't be long/

Gasquet could be Great (I hope so )

Ernham
01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Like I said before, this is actually a good matchup for Monfils. i still think Gasquet will win, however. Dumbass will probably take himself out of the match in the third set by running into the umpires chair or something equally stupid.

Naide
01-17-2007, 12:49 PM
gasquette

Marine
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM
It could be a great battle cos of their opposite games, but i'm not sure, matches between French are not very good , plus they're close friends, psychologically it won't be easy to manage.
And I fear Richard will suffer physically.

vincayou
01-17-2007, 01:09 PM
It should be close, their encounter always have been. It's always strange to play a friend who knows how you play by heart.

They h2h is 1-1 I think.

That said, I hope Richie will prevail.

Puschkin
01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
That said, I hope Richie will prevail.Hope is not enough. I know it.;)

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Their matches weren't close both in straight set with difference that match which Gasquet lost he had bad injury ( If I remember well it was elbow )

Hypothyxor
01-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Can any1 explain why Monfils chooses to play the way he does?...

The defensive, retrieving style of game is suited to a guy like alberto martin who is small and has no weapons and has no hope...Monfils is a big man with big grounstrokes if he works hard to be more consistent, yet he chooses to play like an Albberto Martin sort of game?...:confused:

I hope this guy changes his style of game because he's so exciting to watch, woould be a shame if he doesn't have a game to back it up...

t0x
01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
C'mon Richie! Seriously, I think he'll win :)

silverwhite
01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
They're best friends and Gasquet will have the pressure of proving that he's the French #1. Monfils winning wouldn't surprise me. :shrug:

Deathless Mortal
01-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Richie in 4.

Puschkin
01-17-2007, 01:59 PM
They're best friends and Gasquet will have the pressure of proving that he's the French #1.
:shrug:
This match has no impact on who is the French nr.1. The ranking says it, and clearly so. I wish another motivation for Richard: a further step to his best ever GS performance, that's much more important. Desolée, les francais.;)

gulzhan
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
richard must win :)

i hope gael is a more suitable opponent for him than bagdatis :o

fadou
01-17-2007, 02:06 PM
gasquet (i hope) because i :hearts: his game even if i could'nt watch the match

JustmeUK
01-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Can any1 explain why Monfils chooses to play the way he does?...

The defensive, retrieving style of game is suited to a guy like alberto martin who is small and has no weapons and has no hope...Monfils is a big man with big grounstrokes if he works hard to be more consistent, yet he chooses to play like an Albberto Martin sort of game?...:confused:

I hope this guy changes his style of game because he's so exciting to watch, woould be a shame if he doesn't have a game to back it up...

probably because he grew up on clay. when you look at Gael's game it comes down to a big serve and a big forehand. However, on clay those are unlikely to finish points of quick so he's learnt to play a more defensive game. he can hit some winners off the fh when he's so inclined though. the bh is much more utilitarian and is more of a get the ball back deep shot.

I'll go with Richard in 3 if he brings his A game and hits winners from everywhere. If not I'd still go with Richard in 4.

silverwhite
01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
:shrug:
This match has no impact on who is the French nr.1. The ranking says it, and clearly so. I wish another motivation for Richard: a further step to his best ever GS performance, that's much more important. Desolée, les francais.;)

I know, but there's the pressure of showing that he truly deserves to be the French #1. There's always more pressure when you're the top-ranked player from your country and you're playing your countrymen. :shrug:

Puschkin
01-17-2007, 02:22 PM
I know, but there's the pressure of showing that he truly deserves to be the French #1. There's always more pressure when you're the top-ranked player from your country and you're playing your countrymen. :shrug:

I disagree on this one. What you describe wight be a factor when the two players are really competing or even dislike each other, Haas-Kiefer comes to my mind, even more so the old Austrian battle Muster-Skoff. ;) I just don't believe it counts as much between those two, who are reportedly close. But let's stop we will never know.:p

silverwhite
01-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I disagree on this one. What you describe wight be a factor when the two players are really competing or even dislike each other, Haas-Kiefer comes to my mind, even more so the old Austrian battle Muster-Skoff. ;) I just don't believe it counts as much between those two, who are reportedly close. But let's stop we will never know.:p

Yes, and because they are close, it will make it harder for him to handle on top of the pressure. IMO, Monfils has a stronger killer instinct so I believe he will handle the situation better. :shrug:

Also, if it happens to be a really really hot day, what do you think will happen? :o

case
01-17-2007, 02:30 PM

i think being n0. 1 matters alot to gasquet. in those photos where he lost to monfils he looked terrible. probably some of it was he was scared about his injury, but i think there was also his losing to the other high ranked frenchman.

btw, tsonga has a good game. i hope he gives gasquet and monfils some competition, that would raise both gasquet's and monfils game.

Cristine
01-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Silver :ras: ( :kiss: )

Richard must win it, he's a better player AND a better person. Monfils behavior - on the court - is just... awful. So, Richard in 3 :)

SwissMister1
01-17-2007, 02:45 PM
I do wish Gael would play a little more aggressively, better strategy would really help him. Hope this match is on Vodafone at least so I can see it

Hypothyxor
01-17-2007, 02:49 PM
I do wish Gael would play a little more aggressively, better strategy would really help him. Hope this match is on Vodafone at least so I can see it

You can almost bet it will be on Vodafone or Rod Laver Arena after Monfils showman performance against Baghdatis...It could have been a night match but I believe Federer is up against Youzhny that day and i'm quite sure that will be a night match...

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I hope they will show it , but it won't be on Rod Laver to many matches

Safin - Roddick will be night one that's for sure , other night match will Petrova - Williams because it's always one men's and one women's

On Rod Laver there would be for Sure Mauresmo and Federer because they are defending champ.

So I hope they will put them on Vodafone in evening session.

BORO77
01-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Richard will destroy ugly Gael 3:0.
Much better player and much more brains:)
Too bad it is paid only 1.35

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Richard will destroy ugly Gael 3:0.
Much better player and much more brains:)
Too bad it is paid only 1.35

Yeah exactly, bet are not high on Richie :devil: I hoped for higher(I must recover my money lost because of Baggy )

richie21
01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
They're best friends and Gasquet will have the pressure of proving that he's the French #1. Monfils winning wouldn't surprise me. :shrug:

yeah, he certainly suffered from this sort of pressure the last time he faced french players.....lol :o
since his (close)defeat against Clement at Metz,he has won all his 4 matches against french players....

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Richie will kick CLOWN into circus where he belongs

jazar
01-17-2007, 07:44 PM
mofils' gamesmanship against baghdatis was appaling, so i hope richie thrashes him

silverwhite
01-17-2007, 09:21 PM
yeah, he certainly suffered from this sort of pressure the last time he faced french players.....lol :o
since his (close)defeat against Clement at Metz,he has won all his 4 matches against french players....

You're missing the point. Playing Monfils will be different because 1) he's a very close friend and 2) he's the other young French hope.

angela
01-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Gasquet

musefanatic
01-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I thikn it's gotta be Richie, i'm sure Gael's gonna slip or fall over and do an injury to himself, more like do the splits and not be able to get up from it :lol:

delsa
01-17-2007, 09:54 PM
You're missing the point. Playing Monfils will be different because 1) he's a very close friend and 2) he's the other young French hope.

I agree.

For those trying to understand why Monfils is playing so defensive and even more so currently, just go to the Articles and AO threads of his forum...

MissPovaFan
01-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Gasquet

Havok
01-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Gasquet in 4 sets.