01-17-2007, 01:13 PM
The new Safin! :(

FedererGrandSlam
01-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Baghdatis was PATHETIC.

Duncan
01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
The 3rd and 4th sets were just awful.

Monfils wasn't injured he just gave up on the set and by pretending to be injured was the only way he wouldn't get into trouble and then Marcos fell apart in the 4th.

Watching eurosport just now and they are asking why its hard to play against an injured opponent. He wasn't injured!!!

Jadranka
well done Monfils ;)

Andre♥
If Tursunov beats Mirnyi tomorrow, Baghdatis will be out of Top20...

Monfils is kinda stupid. He plays so well, but his style gets him injured all the time. Tone your style a little down and you'll be in Top15. Ah and get a coach, please.

Nathaliia
01-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Congratties Gael :yeah: Baghdatis forgot to take a valid forehand with him. As it has been predicted, he may be that kind of a Guga Kuerten who makes a wonderful slam performance, and comes back to top form in few years.

(I hope he'll lose his doubles match as well, by the way :angel: )

Hmm, what to add more, it was a good match for the gamblers :yeah: Good luck against Richie to Gael (you'll need it :unsure: )

oz_boz
No problem with tactics for Baggy IMO, just that his groundstrokes were as erratic as they come. OK, he should have come to the net a few times he didn't

Props to Monfils for serving good and keeping the ball in play. Some nice shots and defense, but also a few brainfarts there.

marcelwks
Great show by Gael :D :D

buzz
what's wrong with baggy's forehand??? they'r ending up in the net far to often... did he change something??

scarecrows
01-17-2007, 01:16 PM
The 3rd and 4th sets were just awful.

Monfils wasn't injured he just gave up on the set and by pretending to be injured was the only way he wouldn't get into trouble and then Marcos fell apart in the 4th.

Watching eurosport just now and they are asking why its hard to play against an injured opponent. He wasn't injured!!!

that's no excuse for Baghdatis playing shitty like he did in the 4th set

he made life too easy for Monfils injured or not

FedererGrandSlam
01-17-2007, 01:16 PM
OK, he should have come to the net a few times he didn't
INDEED.

That long rally at 0-3 15-30 in the 4th set was the best example, he had like 10 chances to come to the net.

bad gambler
01-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Baghdatis was shocking all night, especially his fh which was completely off

But props to Monfils, good job

FluffyYellowBall

Monfils is kinda stupid. He plays so well, but his style gets him injured all the time. Tone your style a little down and you'll be in Top15. Ah and get a coach, please.'

exactly how many points did baghdatis lose now? 500?
last match of the day and its still 3.15 pm here:o

richie21
In the battle of the 2 most inconsistent youngsters,Gael won!! :o

Marcos is probably one of the most if not the most inconsistent youngster.

whatever,i predict a Richard win in straights sets against his friend :o

Deathless Mortal
Good to see Monfils back but terrible performance by Baggy.. Some people were saying Bracciali choked not beating "an easy opponent" Monfils... Is he still "an easy opponent"?
Yeah Monfils :woohoo:

fadou
:sad: :sad: baggy!

congrats monfils, he played well and was focused

Neely
would have never thought that :eek:

buzz
01-17-2007, 01:18 PM

maybe his tape was cutting in to his foot and when it was removed he didn't feel it any more, but if it isn't something like that than:mad: :mad: :mad: !!

Fergie
01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Marcos :bigcry:

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 01:19 PM
No problem with tactics for Baggy IMO, just that his groundstrokes were as erratic as they come. OK, he should have come to the net a few times he didn't

Props to Monfils for serving good and keeping the ball in play. Some nice shots and defense, but also a few brainfarts there.

tactics?? this match??:rolleyes:

Voo de Mar
01-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Spectacular play by Monfils, he was impressive in the first two sets :)
Set 3rd and 4th - joke :(

fanancic
01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Well done gael!:worship:

Ruski
01-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Well..... this Gael Monfils guy... his defence is simply amazing to watch!!!

Marcos Baghdatis didn't play a good match at all, too many unforced errors!

Goonergal
01-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Baggy :rolleyes: :o The loss of focus after the injury TO was shocking.

shaggy
01-17-2007, 01:21 PM
monfils should be fined for this
faking injury when bagy finally hit some shots
disgustingly
no sportsmanship at all

maybe monfils will be top 10, but in acting

richie21
01-17-2007, 01:22 PM
one thing is sure: Marcos will see his ranking drop dramatically now :o

Ernham
Well, Monfils(counter puncher with no real offensive weapons) is pretty good against "shot makers", meaning this was a pretty good matchup for him. he has a pretty good chance to beat gasquet, too. That said, what did you guys expect from Marcos? It's not like his mental flakeyness has not been demonstrated routinely.

oz_boz
tactics?? this match??:rolleyes:

Yep. What do you mean?

Veronique
disgustingly
no sportsmanship at all

Sour grapes?

Vin Judah
01-17-2007, 01:23 PM
OMG!!! :eek: :eek:
the finnish of the third set was unbelieveble! i was laughing so much the last to games of that set. first at 5-1 baghdatis tanked the game totally, returning with a onehanded backhand and the last point when they were at the net. and next game monfils wanted to get treatment so he tanked :D :D
nice entertainment! :D

nanoman
Only watched the final set.

Baghdatis tactics were piss-poor. Staying back, allowing Monfils to chase balls. Played right into his hands.
Having said that. His volleying today :help:. It was shocking, WTA-level bad. Plenty to work on from here.

As for Monfils. What a drama queen. Thumb to his chest. :barf:. For such a big guy, his strokes are unbelievably weak. No way can this guy put up a fight to Fed.

Godiva
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: ;) :) :) :) I love Marcos but still....:) :) :)

Well there's going to be at least one Frenchman in the last sixteen. I hope its Gael, but even if its Richie it's all good.

Ya'll give Gael his props.Ya hear?:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 01:24 PM
monfils wasnt injured. His ankle strapping was just tight so he just got a massage to relieve the pressure.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Monfils should be banned , it was so classless , he were talking about Roddick behaviour Safin etc but what Monfils done was so bad, he faked injury it was clear he was barely walking having energetical crisis and then suddenly without nothing (it was no slide, no bad movement ) he took medical time out and then instantly (that was so weird that it happen to fast ) started moving like crazy.
What is more I was watching it with my friend who is sports terapist and he said it was unthinkable that one minute someone is barely walking and then after massage he runs like that. He said that it could help with some injuries or pain but it is impossible to happen so fast. Monfils even run from the seat to the baseline. :eek:
I hope Gasquet will kick his ass hard (which is possible in Gasquet form )

scarecrows
01-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Sour grapes?

totally

Truc
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I honestly don't think Monfils faked the injury, he's known for being a very fair guy.
Maybe it was just a problem with the tape or his ankle might have hurt, but the adrenaline and Marcos helped him get over it in the 4th set.
He does have serious problems with his ankles, it's obvious.

Marcos was awful, but really great job from Gael who hasn't played a good match for months now, I'm so glad for him. :yeah:

mays
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
that's no excuse for Baghdatis playing shitty like he did in the 4th set

he made life too easy for Monfils injured or not

completely agree. baggy was indeed -uncharacteristically- pathetic!! Gael put on a show... but still, why resort to such sleezy ways of winning, he could have done it without faking an injury!

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 01:27 PM
monfils wasnt injured. His ankle strapping was just tight so he just got a massage to relieve the pressure.

No way my friend told that it could be this but it wouldn't hurt so much,what's more when you play such strapping won't tight it could only be less tight , and it happened after 2,5 sets = it is no true. If it was the reason it would happen faster

bad gambler
01-17-2007, 01:27 PM
disgustingly
no sportsmanship at all

Gamesmanship is just part of tennis now, got to roll with it

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 01:28 PM
I honestly don't think Monfils faked the injury, he's known for being a very fair guy.
Maybe it was just a problem with the tape or his ankle might have hurt, but the adrenaline and Marcos helped him get over it in the 4th set.
He does have serious problems with his ankles, it's obvious.

Marcos was awful, but really great job from Gael who hasn't played a good match for months now, I'm so glad for him. :yeah:

exactly..he never said he was injured. He just took a time out to change that annoying strapping. It looked very tight

adee-gee
01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Monfils did nothing wrong. If you're looking for someone to blame, blame Marcos.

Xristos
01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Fucken Baggy.

Well done Gael.

Veronique
01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
No way my friend told that it could be this but it wouldn't hurt so much,what's more when you play such strapping won't tight it could only be less tight , and it happened after 2,5 sets = it is no true. If it was the reason it would happen faster

Your friend's words are gospel indeed.:rolleyes:

shaggy
01-17-2007, 01:33 PM
monfils- what are you waiting for, hollywood send an offer you can't deny

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
There are no sour grapes I am not big fan of these players , I telling what it is and it was faking injury,

Such strapping can't become more tight it is both medical fact and logical, If it was too tight it wouldn't hurt so much without any reason.

Veronique
01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
What a bunch of whiners!

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Your friend's words are gospel indeed.:rolleyes:

Are you doctor or something ?? Such strappings could not become more tight , such reasoning is indeed funny

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Awww, Baggy... sad to see him go. :sad:
Congrats Monfils - and as I haven't seen the match myself I'll abstain from commenting here.

Ernham
01-17-2007, 01:37 PM
completely agree. baggy was indeed -uncharacteristically- pathetic!! Gael put on a show... but still, why resort to such sleezy ways of winning, he could have done it without faking an injury!

No, really, Monfils is an idiot that constantly hurts himself. It was probably legit. Baggy didn't see a ball he didn't want to shank in the net after losing the first set.

vincayou
01-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I didn't really see that one coming. Marcos was out of form, but Gael was in dismal form himself before AO. He lost last week to Martin, a guy who almost entered record book this week for a spectacular triple bagel.

Well, Monfils was never as bad as some people thought here, after all if you manage to be top30 in your teens, you are quite talented.

Marcos will do a kuerten, I have this feeling and his form was not good enough to do something like last year.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Bring Gasquet he will kick this clown

Viken01
01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Allez Gael !!!!

chewy
01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
yeh i was hoping Baggy can stick around abit longer...
hard to see him out there, he had no answers against monfils.

Guybrush
01-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Great job Gael! :yeah:

Baggy Bageled! Sounds nice! :haha:

MilMilCho
01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Faking the injure or not,
that medical time out definitely distracted Baghdatis.
I think he lost this match becuz of match up issue.
But Monfils made it look like he could not even move, which was very smart from him, becuz his plan certainly worked out afterward:rolleyes:

Hypothyxor
01-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't think any1 should be excited about the way Monfils won the match, it was one hell of an exciting match to watch but he DID NOT win the match, Baghdatis lost it...

Monfils hardly came up with any winners or offensive shots, he repeatedly hit the ball back to half court yet Baghdatis never took advantage of the short ball...:lol:

Monfils defense were great, but it wasn't as if he was hitting passing shots, he kept moonballing the ball back yet Baghdatis still stayed at the back of the court not taking advantage of the situation...any half decent volleyer would come in and finish the point...

I hope Monfils beats Gasquet because he's a showman and is what tennis desperately needs, but the way he played tells me Gasquet will tear him apart...

delsa
Well done Gaël!!! :yeah:

Sorry for you Baggy... :sad: :hug:

Maybe you need your good luck charm like last year... Camille supporting you...

vincayou
There are no sour grapes I am not big fan of these players , I telling what it is and it was faking injury,

Such strapping can't become more tight it is both medical fact and logical, If it was too tight it wouldn't hurt so much without any reason.

Gael is certainly not a player using gamesmanship. He has extreme strapping since his injury in Madrid last year, because of his slides that one can find entertaining or stupid, or both. The guy has destroyed 3 pair of shoes in his first round against Bracciali, you can imagine the stress on his ankles.

It's not like the medical timeout was very long, and the situation was not really dramatic for him at that time, leading 2 sets to one.

Blame Marcos for the loss.

mays
01-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Faking the injure or not,
that medical time out definitely distracted Baghdatis.
I think he lost this match becuz of match up issue.
But Monfils made it look like he could not even move, which was very smart from him, becuz his plan certainly worked out afterward:rolleyes:

it could be distracting to anyone... i agree. but marcos is a professional, he should be able to deal with the couple of minutes break no matter if the break was legit or not. he should expect some players to pull stunts like that and know what to do afterwards.

oz_boz
01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Faking or not, Baggy wasn't anywhere close to winning before it happened. And if he got bageled only becuse his rythm was disrupted from a timeout, he shouldn't go through anyway.

2moretogo
01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Haven't watched the match yet, just listening on AO radio. Seemed to me like the way it was described that he was just getting the ankle rewrapped or something.

Anyhoo, ths is not why Baggy lost the match. His performance was terrible after losing the first set. Too much up and down, and it seemed like he ad no answer for a Gael who was getting a lot of balls back.

Congrats Monfils! Baggy, I'll miss you!

Truc
01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
He didn't even take a medical time out in the middle of the game to disrupt the rythm of Baghdatis, did he? I thought he just called the trainer during the break at the end of the set. Big deal.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Gael is certainly not a player using gamesmanship. He has extreme strapping since his injury in Madrid last year, because of his slides that one can find entertaining or stupid, or both. The guy has destroyed 3 pair of shoes in his first round against Bracciali, you can imagine the stress on his ankles.

It's not like the medical timeout was very long, and the situation was not really dramatic for him at that time, leading 2 sets to one.

Blame Marcos for the loss.

I understand but it doesn't happen so fast to come from huge pain to running better than before injury.
Ok but if his strappings were to tight he will feel it faster, and such strappings can't become more tight, what's more almost every strapping become less time with time especially when you are running. It was dramatical for him, he had huge energetical crisis , and he Baggy would jump to fast win in 4th set he was on fire.

What is more he could change/restrape/take timeout faster when it started bue he didn't want to which was :eek:

Without these time out Monfils would be 2-2 in sets because :
a) Baggy was playing much better
b) he was very tired in somehow crisis

Hypothyxor
01-17-2007, 01:59 PM
After a match like this there's really only 1 thing that is proven...BAGHDATIS IS 1 PERSON YOU SHOULD NEVER BET ON, all the screaming and fist pumping has no substance what so ever, he does it just to show off, it's unbelievabble how often he screams like a headless chicken and plays like a headless chicken with no brains that it looks so fake...

oz_boz
01-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Without these time out Monfils would be 2-2 in sets because :
a) Baggy was playing much better
b) he was very tired in somehow crisis

Without the timeout Monfils would still have won because
a) Baggy lost the 4th 0-6 which confirms he couldn't conserve momentum for a longer period
b) Marcos couldn't hit a forehand above the net

BORO77
01-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Bagy costed me a lot of $$ but i am glad he is out of the tourament. In fact i dont know who i hate more him or this
ugly monfils kid.
i hope he goes home next round:cool:

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Without the timeout Monfils would still have won because
a) Baggy lost the 4th 0-6 which confirms he couldn't conserve momentum for a longer period
b) Marcos couldn't hit a forehand above the net

I am not Baggy fun , he lost it played dumb without fire. But it doesn't change a fact that Monfils is CLOWN and Should be banned from ATP , maybe I hope he will end like Coria (he was also good in such games as Monfils showed today)

Guybrush
01-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Bagy costed me a lot of $$ but i am glad he is out of the tourament.

Me too! :cool:

Sparko1030
01-17-2007, 02:18 PM
:hug: Marcos :sad:

Conita
01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
i watch the whole match live
Baghdatis was never in the match even when he was up in the third he was still making unusual errors, he wasn't enjoying the game, he looked very ansious and stressed, and for the first 2 sets Gael won, becuase he was the best player.
And about the injury time it wasn't very long and it was after the set had ended anyway, all he did was remove the straps which were causing him pain, Baghdatis should be mature enough to be able to deal with it and it's no excuse to lose 6-0 in the 4th set
Truth is it looked to me like he was never really concentraiting maybe for a couple of games but throughout the match he just wasn't there.
so well done Gael :)

Andre♥
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Well, a little bit more and you say that Baghdatis was putting the ball in the net because Monfils lifted it.

The frenchie outplayed him. Period.

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Congratulations Gael :bigclap: Maybe this will be a break through tournament for him, he has amazing talent.

Eden
01-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Marcos will do a kuerten, I have this feeling and his form was not good enough to do something like last year.

What do you mean with the statement that Marcos will do a Kuerten? :confused: Gugas career was simply overshadowed by his injuries, it has nothing to do with poor form.

It's hard for every player to confirm former results and success, but Marcos is young enough to improve.

Monfils was the better player today and I'm curious how he will play against Gasquet.

Compliment to Marcos who has shown again after the match what a fair sportsman he is :)

MissMoJo
01-17-2007, 03:12 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

vincayou
01-17-2007, 03:34 PM
What do you mean with the statement that Marcos will do a Kuerten? :confused: Gugas career was simply overshadowed by his injuries, it has nothing to do with poor form.

I meant that a couple of years after a surprise result in a slam, he will win it as a favourite.

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 03:38 PM

Monfils is kinda stupid. He plays so well, but his style gets him injured all the time. Tone your style a little down and you'll be in Top15. Ah and get a coach, please.

He doesn't play so well, c'mon!

Good to see Monfils back but terrible performance by Baggy.. Some people were saying Bracciali choked not beating "an easy opponent" Monfils... Is he still "an easy opponent"?
Yeah Monfils :woohoo:

A guy that lost to Martin on HC isn't bad, is awful. In fact, such guy is much worse than any possible written description.

Congratulations Gael :bigclap: Maybe this will be a break through tournament for him, he has amazing talent.

Talent? You're much worse than I thought.

tennisgal_001
01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
-Baghdatis... SIMPLY PATHETIC. From the first strike of the ball he looked completely out-of-place. Was he feeling the pressure? Was it the night session jitters? I don't know, but that was the worst I've seen him play in a VERY long time.:help:

-Monfils, and I'm trying to be as realistic and unbiased as possible. This guy plays some of the most jaw-dropping defense. Some of the few Baghs forehands that made it over the net were beyond dead and Gael resurrected them with such athleticism :eek:. On the other hand, he REALLY needs to tone it down or else his career will be over within a few years.

Whether Monfils really was faking it, or his strappings were too tight we'll never know, but this is no excuse for Marcos's non-existent game-plan in the first two sets, or the hot bagel in the fourth. He had several chances to finish up points at the net, but instead played right into Gael's hands!!!
While Monfils clearly plays with brutal power, that on its own is never enough to win a match. In other words, Baghdatis lost it, Monfils didn't win it...

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 04:05 PM
He doesn't play so well, c'mon!

A guy that lost to Martin on HC isn't bad, is awful. In fact, such guy is much worse than any possible written description.

Talent? You're much worse than I thought.

I Totally agree with everything you said !! :worship: :worship:

Monfils is bad what he can do ?? run and giving mass of easy balls - Nadal, Federer, Roddick, Haas, almost whole Top40 would kill him today. It was MArcos he was pushing every easy ball into net or out nothing else. In Form Marcos would ***** this clown in easy straight sets, even Martin done it few days ago , and Monfils didn't changed his game since Auckland or Doha.

brent-o
01-17-2007, 04:13 PM
God I hope Monfils gets knocked out soon. I can't stand his cockiness and besides that his game bores me.

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
His game is pretty much like Nadal's: just get balls back. I fail to grasp why you Rafatards seem to dislike Monfils.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 04:17 PM
-Baghdatis... SIMPLY PATHETIC. From the first strike of the ball he looked completely out-of-place. Was he feeling the pressure? Was it the night session jitters? I don't know, but that was the worst I've seen him play in a VERY long time.:help:

-Monfils, and I'm trying to be as realistic and unbiased as possible. This guy plays some of the most jaw-dropping defense. Some of the few Baghs forehands that made it over the net were beyond dead and Gael resurrected them with such athleticism :eek:. On the other hand, he REALLY needs to tone it down or else his career will be over within a few years.

Whether Monfils really was faking it, or his strappings were too tight we'll never know, but this is no excuse for Marcos's non-existent game-plan in the first two sets, or the hot bagel in the fourth. He had several chances to finish up points at the net, but instead played right into Gael's hands!!!
While Monfils clearly plays with brutal power, that on its own is never enough to win a match. In other words, Baghdatis lost it, Monfils didn't win it...

Monfils and defense ?? No way I think you have mistaken something
- I agree that reaching this balls was amazing , awesome :eek: but it has nothing to do wuth defense, because in fact it was stupid any inform Top20 player will end this points at net wuth ease, even Nadal , Marcos was off today and couldn't do anything. Monfils can't play decent defense he was pushing the ball. Being very fit and fast as hell (even Nadal wouldn't reach some of the shots) doesn't make you great defender it takes. Look at Hewitt he is also great mover but when he is in defense he hardly ever give such easy balls as well as Nadal. Marcos couldn't take advantage , and this was his fault.
- his kind of game will wear him out quickly , too much energy to run down all these shots, and his body will be destroyed these slidning is bad, in Doha he almost broke leg. I don't know why he is so stupid not to realize that. He can be lucky 99 out of 100 times (but he still had some ankle injuries) but that 1 time will happen and end of career
- his serve isn't that good, Great Players serve the best when it's needed ,when he is in danger most of the times he has Second Serve mod turn on.

did anyone realized how dump he is around the net ?? Marcos played some drop shots and he CLOWN reached them with ease but then he didn't know what to do with it and lost all points in similiar situation

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 04:19 PM
His game is pretty much like Nadal's: just get balls back. I fail to grasp why you Rafatards seem to dislike Monfils.

I agree that's his main plan is similiar but he does everything much worse than Rafa, and what's wrong with being counter-puncher ?? Hewitt is as well as Rafa.

Monfils is just CLOWN nothing else, I suggest him to find some circus

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree that's his main plan is similiar but he does everything much worse than Rafa, and what's wrong with being counter-puncher ?? Hewitt is as well as Rafa.

Monfils is just CLOWN nothing else, I suggest him to find some circus

Hewitt can slice, can volley, isn't a moonballer. Hewitt is a counter-puncher, Nadal is a defensive player that relies on his opponents' UE only, that's something different.

Fumus
01-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Wow!! :eek:

t0x
01-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Baggy!? WTF!? Absolutely horrible match, the majority of his forehands weren't even close to going over the net! I'm just really disappointed. He has so much talent, and is brilliant to watch when he's on, but I guess he's just gunna take his time.

Monfils - well played I suppose. I don't really like the way Monfils plays, and damn he's gunna spend the majority of his career injured if he keeps playing like that!

Disappointing match...

R.Federer
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
How disappointing for Marcos.

Andre♥
01-17-2007, 05:03 PM

Come on, Gu. We always agree with each other, but I don't agree with you this time. I hate Nadal and I kinda like Monfils. The guy goes for the winner a lot of times. He plays at the baseline and then suddendly the guy hits big forehands out of nowhere.

The guy hit a 200km/h stroke today! Of course, it was out! :eek:

Snowwy
01-17-2007, 05:16 PM

Probably cuz hes not ranked #2 in the world. The only reason most of the 'Rafatards' like Rafa is because he's ranked highly. Who was actually a Rafa fan when he was ranked in the 50's..practically no one.

When he was ranked lower I was a big fan of his but now, Im tired of him when he's not on clay. On clay he is just so amazing but I don't think he deserves the attention he gets on hardcourts.

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Come on, Gu. We always agree with each other, but I don't agree with you this time. I hate Nadal and I kinda like Monfils. The guy goes for the winner a lot of times. He plays at the baseline and then suddendly the guy hits big forehands out of nowhere.

And how many times does he play attacking? I mean, when does he go for the approach and then to the net? You can probably count in your fingers for a whole 5 setter.

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Probably cuz hes not ranked #2 in the world. The only reason most of the 'Rafatards' like Rafa is because he's ranked highly. Who was actually a Rafa fan when he was ranked in the 50's..practically no one.

When he was ranked lower I was a big fan of his but now, Im tired of him when he's not on clay. On clay he is just so amazing but I don't think he deserves the attention he gets on hardcourts.

Good call, that's true. :)

Confident
01-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow, great win for Monfils!:worship:

CooCooCachoo
01-17-2007, 05:21 PM
No surprise :)

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Hewitt can slice, can volley, isn't a moonballer. Hewitt is a counter-puncher, Nadal is a defensive player that relies on his opponents' UE only, that's something different.

Only UE so he doesn't hit winners from extraordinary places on the tennis court? And Nadal is a counterpuncher, he can defend, and his passing shots are amazing. I hope one day you'll give him some credit, but I seriously doubt that.

As for Monfils this guy will get top 10 just watch this space.

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Well I was a fan of Rafa ever since Wimby 2003 when I saw him against Younes El Anouyai. And I'm sure that most Federer fans weren't fans of him before he came to the top so that argument is kind of pointless.

Hugh Jaas
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
I presume all the HATING of Monfils is the result of all the losers that lost $ betting on the wrong player.

Monfils 38 errors
Baghdatis 52 errors

who's the clown now.

vamosnadal
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
The only tactics today was that ankle "injury" which was shocking in my opinion and has put me right off Monfils, who I previously really liked. To be fair to Baghdatis, it just wasn't working for him from the moment he stepped onto court and he knew it. He couldn't come forward as he had no confidence in his groundies, let alone volleys. I've never seen him look so tight, but not surprised after that press conference where he spoke off how uncomfortable he was feeling with his entourage.

As for the comments about Rafa fans - I've been a fan of him since he first came onto the scene. I can't speak for all of his fans obviously, but his ranking has absolutely nothing to do with me liking him.

Iván
01-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Monfils played decent today. But he was their for the taking.

Baghdatis provided us with an awful performance with many unforced errors.

ITS A SHAME BECAUSE IT SEEMS BAGGY TRAINED HARD FOR THIS AND LOST ALOT OF WEIGHT.

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Only UE so he doesn't hit winners from extraordinary places on the tennis court? And Nadal is a counterpuncher, he can defend, and his passing shots are amazing. I hope one day you'll give him some credit, but I seriously doubt that.

As for Monfils this guy will get top 10 just watch this space.

Top 10? You're a joker. The guy lost to Martin on HC... :haha:

Iván
01-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Monfils threw the martin match. He did not try. It obvious.

Hugh Jaas
01-17-2007, 06:09 PM

ivan ljubicic mean anyting to you, defeted by ladylegs mardy fish.

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Monfils threw the martin match. He did not try. It obvious.

Yeah, so he did rig the match, like Davydenko does (or so you say)? :rolleyes:

All right!

Iván
01-17-2007, 06:11 PM
trust me alot of rigging goes on.

I know its the dark side of the game but people must start talking about it because its obvious.

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 06:11 PM
ivan ljubicic mean anyting to you, defeted by ladylegs mardy fish.

What does Ljubicic has to do with that? You're comparing him to Monfils? I hope not, because that would be totally misplaced.

Iván
01-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Ljubicic will win zagreb and reach the semis of the french.

Dont worry about him .he will be back.

rofe
01-17-2007, 06:13 PM
For Baggy to lose the plot like that is shocking. 6-0 drubbing seems unreal. Did Monfils play out of his mind or did Baggy just give up?

GlennMirnyi
01-17-2007, 06:14 PM
That happens everywhere, but you can't accuse someone without proof.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:17 PM
For Baggy to lose the plot like that is shocking. 6-0 drubbing seems unreal. Did Monfils play out of his mind or did Baggy just give up?

Baggy played very bad + Monfils faked injury, because he was only pushing the ball back all the time when he started to be tired ( in the end of 3rd set ) he take medical timeout and it completly destroyed Marcos focus

Truc
For Baggy to lose the plot like that is shocking. 6-0 drubbing seems unreal. Did Monfils play out of his mind or did Baggy just give up?No, Monfils didn't play especially well in the last set, Baggy completely gifted him the set.

Monfils was asked about his injury at the end of the 3rd set, of course, and explained it was a problem with the ankle strap which was compressing his foot. He says he wasn't acting and he really was in pain, no matter what people like Jim Courier might think.
(Avez-vous joué la comédie avec votre blessure à la fin du 3e set ?
GM : Non, j'avais vraiment mal. Le strap me compressait le pied et en aucun cas, je n'ai joué la comédie. Jim Courrier ou n'importe qui peut croire ce qu'il veut.
http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/open-d-australie/2007/sport_sto1057941.shtml )

Allez
What the hell is going on with Baghdatis ? I guess his ranking is going to plummet now :sad:

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
No, Monfils didn't play especially well in the last set, Baggy completely gifted him the set.

Monfils was asked about his injury at the end of the 3rd set, of course, and explained it was a problem with the ankle strap which was compressing his foot. He says he wasn't acting and really was in pain, no matter what people like Jim Courier might think.
(Avez-vous joué la comédie avec votre blessure ŕ la fin du 3e set ?
GM : Non, j'avais vraiment mal. Le strap me compressait le pied et en aucun cas, je n'ai joué la comédie. Jim Courrier ou n'importe qui peut croire ce qu'il veut.

And what you expected that he will say that he faked injury because he started loosing and was very tired ??
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Andre♥
01-17-2007, 06:20 PM
And how many times does he play attacking? I mean, when does he go for the approach and then to the net? You can probably count in your fingers for a whole 5 setter.

You can attack from the baseline. He does that. His groundstrokes are so huge that the opponent doesn't catch the ball, so he doesn't need to come to the net to finish the point.

Truc
01-17-2007, 06:21 PM
And what you expected that he will say that he faked injury because he started loosing and was very tired ??
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:I was just quoting it because he explains which problem he had exactly. He confirms it was a problem with his strap.
And I kind of translated the rest, so people won't ask why he mentions Courier, that's all.

Hugh Jaas
01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
What does Ljubicic has to do with that? You're comparing him to Monfils? I hope not, because that would be totally misplaced.

MY POINT IS that top 10 players can be beaten by journeymen. Monfils in the top10 is alot more believable than what most of the haters on these boards say otherwise

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:24 PM
I was just quoting it because he explains which problem he had exactly. He confirms it was a problem with his strap.
And I kind of translated the rest, so people won't ask why he mentions Courier, that's all.

OK I thought you bought this lies , CLOWNS are supposed to lie

vamosnadal
01-17-2007, 06:24 PM
No, Monfils didn't play especially well in the last set, Baggy completely gifted him the set.

Monfils was asked about his injury at the end of the 3rd set, of course, and explained it was a problem with the ankle strap which was compressing his foot. He says he wasn't acting and he really was in pain, no matter what people like Jim Courier might think.
(Avez-vous joué la comédie avec votre blessure à la fin du 3e set ?

I'm sorry but I don't believe it! If it was something as simple as the tape, he would have paused when it happened and just got it whipped off, not created a big drama. The timing was just a bit too dodgy if you ask me.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:26 PM
MY POINT IS that top 10 players can be beaten by journeymen. Monfils in the top10 is alot more believable than what most of the haters on these boards say otherwise

maybe Top10 in WTA tour he is as Wilander said outside court guy, what he has he has huge serve + fuge forehand and movement which is only hurting him if he doesn't change it ,and there are plenty of gyus with such tool, what is more in tight situation he plays badly

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry but I don't believe it! If it was something as simple as the tape, he would have paused when it happened and just got it whipped off, not created a big drama. The timing was just a bit too dodgy if you ask me.

exactly as I said my friend who is sport terapist said that tape wouldn't hurt so much and such strappings can't become more tight and it wouldn't make such pain it could be disconfort but not what CLOWN made. And he paused in 100% ideal moment for himself

Hugh Jaas
01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

you are starting to annoy me. Do you have ANY proof that MONFILS was FAKING the injury? Apart from your excessive hate you have for the player you have nothing to back up your ludicrous comments.

I could say that most of the south American moonballers are doped up to their eyeballs, do i need proof?Of course not this is MTF.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
you are starting to annoy me. Do you have ANY proof that MONFILS was FAKING the injury? Apart from your excessive hate you have for the player you have nothing to back up your ludicrous comments.

I could say that most of the south American moonballers are doped up to their eyeballs, do i need proof?Of course not this is MTF.

Yes opinion of person who is qualified in such cases, if he was in such hurt why he didn't take time out at 5-2 ?? :eek: :eek:

CLOWNS needs to be send to Circus

mickymouse
01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Too lazy to read through the entire thread so I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but I want to comment on Baghdatis' sportsmanship: at 5-1, when he saw that Monfils could hardly walk, he practically gifted the game to him instead of going for the kill and breaking him for the set. As a result, Monfils served first in the 4th set and you could tell Baghdatis was just returning the balls to his hitting zone, probably thinking that he may still be immobile. I think he mentally tuned out a little thinking that Monfils had problems with his foot and when he realised there wasn't it was too late.

Black Adam
01-17-2007, 06:33 PM

You can't smash the ball past 180 km/h and you tell me a forehand was hit at 200 km/h :eek:
The hardest a forehand can go is around 100-110 mph (160-176 km/h) and a Backhand (2 handed) somewhere around 100 mph.

Anyways Monfils played well and looking forward to see him play Richie. I don't see why people are making a big deal ot of his behaviour when guys like Hewitt and Roddick are still allowed to play on ATP despite their disgraceful behaving.:rolleyes:

Hugh Jaas
01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
he rolled his ankle last October so i think his injury is a cause for concern.

Next you will be saying that he was time wasting when he was putting on a new pair of shoes during the 1st set.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
You can't smash the ball past 180 km/h and you tell me a forehand was hit at 200 km/h :eek:
The hardest a forehand can go is around 100-110 mph (160-176 km/h) and a Backhand (2 handed) somewhere around 100 mph.

Anyways Monfils played well and looking forward to see him play Richie. I don't see why people are making a big deal ot of his behaviour when guys like Hewitt and Roddick are still allowed to play on ATP despite their disgraceful behaving.:rolleyes:

Please do not compare Roddick and Hewitt to Monfils

They maybe unpolite, rude etc but they are fair, they win matches thanks to themselves they do not fake injuries. Could you imagine Roddick faking injury against Blake and winning thanks to it ??

And as said mickey mouse Baggy showed respect, showed how great man he is , he could kill Monfils but he handed him two games because he thought he is in serious pain, and what CLOWN make fun of him.

Truc
01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
if he was in such hurt why he didn't take time out at 5-2 ?? :eek: :eek: He paused at the end of the set since he knew the set was lost anyway, it's a very normal time to take a medical time out since there is a break, I don't get your point here.

However, he's not only struggling with his ankle injury since Madrid, he's also been having huge problems with both feet since last year - he got injured in Wimbledon and these feet problems have been bothering him since then (he had a stress fracture and another kind of injury, I don't remember what exactly, at the other foot [Edit: I looked it up, he had a tear in one foot in Wimbledon and a stress fracture after the US Open.])
So it really might have been more than a simple discomfort.

Loremaster
he rolled his ankle last October so i think his injury is a cause for concern.

Next you will be saying that he was time wasting when he was putting on a new pair of shoes during the 1st set.

ech he said it wasn't injury but problems with tape on foot , and such tapes can't make you suffer so much.

and time when he take it was ideal he can do it at 5-2 but no, he made it in the best time possible

Hugh Jaas
Too lazy to read through the entire thread so I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but I want to comment on Baghdatis' sportsmanship: at 5-1, when he saw that Monfils could hardly walk, he practically gifted the game to him instead of going for the kill and breaking him for the set. As a result, Monfils served first in the 4th set and you could tell Baghdatis was just returning the balls to his hitting zone, probably thinking that he may still be immobile. I think he mentally tuned out a little thinking that Monfils had problems with his foot and when he realised there wasn't it was too late.

sportsmanship? bagdatis has the set wrapped anyway so he GAVE the game to monfils so he could aggravate his injury even more by going though another pointless game that we all know monfils given up on the SET already.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:41 PM
He paused at the end of the set since he knew the set was lost anyway, it's a very normal time to take a medical time out since there is a break anyway, I don't get your point here.

However, he's not only struggling with his ankle injury since Madrid, he's also been having huge problems with both feet since last year - he got injured in Wimbledon and his feet problems have been bothering him since then (he had a stress fracture in one foot and another injury, I don't remember what exactly, in the other one).
So it really might have been more than a simple discomfort.

Look Gael was barely walking , at 5-2 there was change of sides where you had time to sit etc so he could take this timeout in this moment , even Baggy looked shocked that he didn't do it. So he came back to court in full pain to loose one game and then to have foot retaped ?? Sorry but when you are in serious pain barely walking you don't wait if you have occassion to kill the pain faster

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
sportsmanship? bagdatis has the set wrapped anyway so he GAVE the game to monfils so he could aggravate his injury even more by going though another pointless game that we all know monfils given up on the SET already.

Because he wanted to give Monfils chance to take medical time out as fast possible at 5-2 during change of side

Hugh Jaas
01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Loremaster YOU lost alot of Vcash betting on monfils to lose so give up the HATE

tangerine_dream
01-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Peter Bodo just had a live chat on ESPN and someone asked him this:

John (London): Baghdatis out?!I have to say I am really disappointed, I thought Marcos had a chance here to continue is development and advance deep into the tournament, your thoughts on this early exit? But how about this Monfils fellow, I would also like to hear your thought on him?

Peter Bodo: (1:10 PM ET ) Let's start with Monfils, I've been a little down on him because of his inconsistency and sometimes borderline silly showboating. But this win has to give his fans new hope. I was surprised that Baghdatis lost this match, because he's been the leader of the young generation, which includes Monfils, that is emerging to shake up the top ten. I think in Marcos you have a guy who is capable of rising to big occasions, he showed that last year with very solid performances in the majors. But his down side appears to be that he is an emotional guy, who may be experiencing a delayed reaction to the pressure of the expectations that began to surround him at this time last year.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Loremaster YOU lost alot of Vcash betting on monfils to lose so give up the HATE

I didn't lose any Vcach only real cach, but it's not a thing I am not so childish
I lost 30$ because of Baggy, but I lost 150$ because of Ferrero do I bash Juan Carlos

Really he faked injury it was to obvious and he lost everything in my eyes, for me he is CLOWN and I want him to be sent to Circus as fast as possible.

Hugh Jaas
01-17-2007, 06:59 PM
WHEN MONFILS WENT TO CHANGE HIS SHOES THAT BECAME RIPPED OPEN Baghdatis went up to him and inspected the shoe implying that monfils was time wasting but you could see via the replays that his shoes where hanging off him?.

My point is why everyone is quick to accuse a player of cheating all of a sudden.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 07:04 PM
WHEN MONFILS WENT TO CHANGE HIS SHOES THAT BECAME RIPPED OPEN Baghdatis went up to him and inspected the shoe implying that monfils was time wasting but you could see via the replays that his shoes where hanging off him?.

My point is why everyone is quick to accuse a player of cheating all of a sudden.

Please say that you are joking, Baggy wanted to ask Gael if everything is ok , but being nice turned against him.

mickymouse
01-17-2007, 07:05 PM

He went up to Monfils because he thought Monfils was injured. In fact when Monfils came back on the court he acknowledged Baghdatis' patience.

mickymouse
01-17-2007, 07:12 PM

Monfils was hardly walking and even the commentators thought he wouldn't be able to continue the match. Why would Baghdatis want to "aggravate his injury" when it appeared to everone that he wouldn't be able to carry on anymore?:confused: Support Monfils by all means but surely there's no need to smear Baghdatis.

2moretogo
01-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Did Monfils just beat Roger?:confused: Or win the Aussie Open?:confused: Call somebodies momma a whore?:confused:

Cuz, I really don't understand all the hate for a player that has been down on his luck recently. This is a good result for him, but it is the second round people. And again, Marcos did not stand a chance in hell to win that match. And I would hardly call what Gael did at the end of the 3rd set gamemanship. Marcos was bageled, yes, bageled in the 4th set. I really love Marcos, but even he admitted that he was waiting for Monfils to start making errors, and when Monfil didn't he didn't have any answers.

Once again, MTF sweating the small stuff. Just admit that you don't like Monfils and move the f%%K on. Geesh.

Hugh Jaas
01-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Please say that you are joking, Baggy wanted to ask Gael , but being nice turned against him.

why did he kick his shoes? He sure has a funny way of saying
if everything is OK.

hablovah19
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Bravo Monfils, quelle victoire inespérée. :yeah:

hablovah19
01-17-2007, 07:24 PM

(Avez-vous joué la comédie avec votre blessure ŕ la fin du 3e set ?

Bien dit, Monfils. :D

NYCtennisfan
01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Since getting tot he AO finals last year, Baggy hasn't made strides towards becoming a fixture near the top like most talented youngsters do after their first big breakthrough.

He had a great match against Berdman in IW, played really well at Wimbledon against Murray and Hewitt, won Beijing (although he didn't really play anyone other than Ancic), and not much else. He also had many, many horrible losses where he played abysmal tennis.

jazar
01-17-2007, 08:24 PM
i saw the first 3 sets then went out, and when i left baghdatis was finding some form and monfils could hardly walk, so how the hell did he win the 4th
6-0?

baghdatis was crap most of the time. the first set was brilliant from both, in the 2nd baggy couldnt get a ball in, monfils pretty much tanked the third.

listening to the commentary on eurosport mats wilander didnt think much of baghdatis, he said last years AO final was probably going to be the highlight of his career. he was saying he had the wrong attitude, he is too content with playing entertaining stuff and enjoying himself, rather than winning

dorkino
01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Baghdatis :sad:

Haven't seen the match myself but i've been told that he played awfully.
Hope he gets himself back together and may be it could help him to handle pressure in a better way in the future.

But i liked what he said after the match. "there are more important things to do in life more than losing a tennis match".

Metis
01-17-2007, 09:08 PM
I watched the match and I was really surprised with how badly Marcos was playing. He was missing very easy shots and in the 4th set he let Monfils frustrate him with his defense. He couldn't find a solution and he didn't have anything left in the end. I couldn't say with certainty whether Gael was faking or not, but Marcos definitely lost his momentum not at the injury break but during that game he donated at 5-1 in the 3rd. Monfils was giving it all he had in the first 2 sets. He hit some amazing winners and one forhand winner which was 199km/h according to the commentators on Star Sports.

In the end I was very pleased to see that Marcos is still the classiest player in defeat. Obviously he must feel disappointed, but something tells me he is relieved it is all over. It was obvious he was not happy at all out there (and I noticed that in his 1st round match as well). The expectations were too high. I hope he can now concentrate without stress and "pression" :D on improving his game as well as on getting mentally tougher.

gillian
01-17-2007, 09:14 PM
All those finals points from last year...down....the....drain.

:eek:

Merton
01-17-2007, 09:16 PM
The least bad player won, Marcos made too many errors and paid the price. The interuption was a normal case of gamesmanship, there is nothing to do about it under the present rules, the important thing is that Marcos got affected. Overall, Marcos deserved to lose, he needs to take a step back and evaluate his further improvement.

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-17-2007, 10:08 PM

Hahahaha. Yeah. You were probably the same guy who said Nadal is just a talentless moonballer and thought he would never get to where he is today. Monfils has got a big game, and he will get to the top 10. You heard it here first ;)

Ernham
01-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Monfils has got a big game, and he will get to the top 10. You heard it here first ;)

Uhh, no, never, not unless he gets a brain transplant or there is a terrible accident that kills a lot of pros.

musefanatic
01-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Ouch this sounds from what i've read, a terrible terrible loss for Baggy. How could he let Monfils get back into the match when the poor guy could nearly walk? Hmm i would've expected more from him really, although i expected more from Ljubo on monday but look what happened there! :rolleyes:

I don't think baggy really has a strong strong mentality, not compared to some of the players on the tour. I know he got to the final last year and he's not done too badly last year either but just from his statement from when he lost, yeah ok it's not the end of the world if you lose a game of tennis and he's still young but he shouldn't be thinking that, he should be thinking he needs to improve this and needs to work on that. Not just think it'll all be ok. Ah well, well done to Monfils, does anyone know how his injury is, is it any better now or was it just the strapping that was bothering him?

Jogy
01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Damn you Baggy for letting Monfils win it because he sucks but you sucked more :smash: :retard:

Magical Trevor
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure about that injury.... on one hand Gael was limping like an old man at the end of the third set, then after the break was explosive with his movement. But then again, he's apparently had a few of these problems before. Why he doesn't wear those ankle braces that a lot of guys have is beyond me with his history.

First time I've had a proper look at Monfils, he's the most explosive athlete I've ever seen on a tennis court. Marcos made too many errors for sure, and wasn't near his best, but a lot of that was Gael making the court feel very small. He made Marcos have to hit 3 or 4 winning shots a rally.

And I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but in our telecast the commentators mentioned it. In the first set, Monfils hit a 190km forehand winner :eek: He also had a couple of serves in the 220's which bemuses me a little since he looks so skinny.

Havok
01-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Dare I say fluke run to the finals last year ?:tape:

I really hope not, though. Marcos really needs to improve his fitness, must most of all work on consistency, not only from round to round but tournament to tournament. His ups and downs were incredibly pathetic last year:o.

scoobs
01-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Far too much self-inflicted pressure on Baghdatis this year to prove last year wasn't just a fluke...and in the end he was too inhibited by this to play anywhere near his best.

Well, it's done now, he has to just regroup and come back strong and get his ranking back up and get his consistency sorted.

Godiva
01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Did Monfils just beat Roger?:confused: Or win the Aussie Open?:confused: Call somebodies momma a whore?:confused:

Cuz, I really don't understand all the hate for a player that has been down on his luck recently. This is a good result for him, but it is the second round people. And again, Marcos did not stand a chance in hell to win that match. And I would hardly call what Gael did at the end of the 3rd set gamemanship. Marcos was bageled, yes, bageled in the 4th set. I really love Marcos, but even he admitted that he was waiting for Monfils to start making errors, and when Monfil didn't he didn't have any answers.

Once again, MTF sweating the small stuff. Just admit that you don't like Monfils and move the f%%K on. Geesh.

Word

vincayou
01-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Though Baghdatis declined to complain, Monfils’s sudden transformation from gimp to gazelle had Jim Courier, the former Australian Open champion turned entrepreneur and edgy television commentator, smelling gamesmanship. He called Monfils "an actor" on air and later followed up in a lighter tone but with the same message during an on-court interview that caused Monfils, whose English is limited, much more stress than the match.

"Courier can think and say what he wants," Monfils said later. "I was hurting, and when I got rid of the tape, you could see all the compressed blood in the foot. If he thinks I’m an actor, he should give me a job with Denzel Washington. I’ll take it."

:lol:

Snowwy
01-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Well I was a fan of Rafa ever since Wimby 2003 when I saw him against Younes El Anouyai. And I'm sure that most Federer fans weren't fans of him before he came to the top so that argument is kind of pointless.

Haha, Im not a Federer fan and I think it might ahve been YOU who missed teh point..did you even bother to read what I was responding to?

I was trying to explain why Nadal is well liked and Monfils who plays very similarly isnt liked by Nadal fans.

gogogirl
01-18-2007, 02:45 AM
Hey All,

What Metis said. Many have made some great points - but to me what Metis said sets it up for me.

Even if Monfils was faking - then how does that translate into what Baggy ended up doing? I've always said that if a player shows me an injury - then like Martina Hingis, I'd be out for blood. There is not time for patty-cakes and a pity party. Go for the jugular for God sakes.

Yeah - many on here don't like Monfils - and that's just fine - because no one likes everyone at all or all of the time. Again - if he was faking and some believe it and don't like him for it or for any other reason - then more power to 'ya. The bottom line is Baggy didn't up his level - and if any player lowers his level because they think their opponent is injured - then to me that tanslates to said one having a weak mind and/or a bad day.

I love the last post in this thread. I suppose someone that's bleeding real blood in the foot should have retired - 'eh? And may haps I agree. But.....to me - it proves that Monny didn't want to give up - and that translates to him and along w/many others on the tour - have hearts of lions.

Auscon
01-18-2007, 04:00 AM
Pretty shabby match from Marcos

First time I've seen a Monfils match (well, entire match)
- heck of a player to watch, brilliant athlete....but those bloody ankles will undoubtedly be his downfall though, unless his style of play changes

Hope we get to see Monfils v Gasquet on tv

celia
01-18-2007, 06:00 AM
Gaelitude...the ability to shut up the haters once and for all. :p

tripb19
01-18-2007, 06:32 AM
Monfils has the biggest fh in the game.

He hit one in the first set at 190km/h :eek:

He's pretty exciting to watch. Well done Gael :D

leng jai
01-18-2007, 06:57 AM
I was at the match. That 190km/h forehand down the line was fucken unbelievable. That is the biggest forehand of all time no question. Also those 2 passing shots he hit midway through the splits were pure brilliance. Marcos played like ass though, especially on the forehand. This loss will hurt his ranking bigtime. The best moment of the match was in the breaker, when Monfils hit a second serve ace at 5-5. Baggy challenged it but it was in, and the crowd went fucken ballistic.

This is the first time I've really had a good look at Monfils. Hes wildy unpredictable and very flashy. His forehand is explosive and his backhand is very solid too. You have to question his tactics though. Playing defensively 2 metres behind the baseline is strange for a guy of his stature. His service action is also remarkably similar to Andy Roddick's.

Metis
01-18-2007, 07:30 AM
At least Marcos won in the doubles with Economidis against a good doubles team (Fyrstenberg-Matkowski). :)

Auscon
01-18-2007, 08:08 AM
I was at the match. That 190km/h forehand down the line was fucken unbelievable. That is the biggest forehand of all time no question.

I was out of the room at the time, only saw the slow mo replay :(

Someone needs to put it on youtube

Ernham
01-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Yes, he 100% copied Roddick's 100% unorthodox serve. Oddly, his serve isn't anywhere near as good as A-rod's is.

oz_boz
01-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Monfils has the biggest fh in the game.

He hit one in the first set at 190km/h :eek:

He's pretty exciting to watch. Well done Gael :D

As long as he hits 2 fh's out for every winner, it is no real weapon.

Monfils didn't play that well, spectacular on certain points, yes, but overall rather erroneous. Baggy played even worse though.

N.B.: no hating on Monfils. I'd love to see him climb the rankings, but he won't unless he stops some of his habits of going for way too much (jumping bh returns :help:) or sliding on hc. I somehow doubt he will.

Loremaster
01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Yes, he 100% copied Roddick's 100% unorthodox serve. Oddly, his serve isn't anywhere near as good as A-rod's is.

exactly he can serve 220km/h but effect is poor , and he can't use it when it is the most needed

Ernham
01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
exactly he can serve 220km/h but effect is poor , and he can't use it when it is the most needed

Ya. He has maybe 90% of the power A-rod does in his serve. The placement/consitency is much poorer. A-rod also combines his serve nicely with his game. He essentially built his game around his serve, kind of reminding me of Becker's old two-shot plays he always used to pull off all the time. Most importantly though is A-rods uncanny ability to, in the most stressful of circumstances, take his serve up another notch to take himself into winning positions from certain doom.

Hugh Jaas
01-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Taking an injury timeout is not cheating. Are you familiar with the rules? It maybe gamesmanship but it is not cheating.

Marcos should not have allowed himself to become distracted by this. I think Marcos will learn from this and not let what is or is not happening to his opponent affect his game, if he cannot cope with this (and the 6-0 beating) then he does not deserve to be in the top50.