)~*~(.SAFIN`s record of winning close matches at AO is freakin UNBELIEVABLE.!!%><& [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

)~*~(.SAFIN`s record of winning close matches at AO is freakin UNBELIEVABLE.!!%><&

CmonAussie
01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
:wavey:
Marat really does like to do it the hard way at AO:eek:
However when it goes the distance Safin`s record is pretty incredible:worship:
# Safin has played 5-setters on 8-occassions at the AO & won everytime: 8/8 ~ 100% in these matches Down Under [incl wins over Federer, Agassi, Roddick, Haas]..:worship:

* Safin has played 4-setters on 12-occassions at the AO & won 11/12 ~ [incl wins over Sampras, Hewitt, Blake, Martin, Kuerten]..:worship:

# The only 4-or-5-setter that Safin has ever lost at the AO was the 2002 FINAL~ where he chocked against Johannson after the burly Russian led by a set:sad:

* All in all Safin is 19/1 in 4/5-setters at the AO = 95%:worship:

`@@`..Has any other player ever had such a good record as Safin in close matches at a major tourney:confused:

Deathless Mortal
01-17-2007, 12:14 PM
:yeah:

Hagar
01-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Amazing record. What a player! If only he could be a bit more consistent. Apart from Federer, he is the best player on the tour (but does not have the second best results because he is such a headcase).
I really get the impression that he kind of needs to be in big trouble and get very irritated before he really can play his best tennis.

MariaV
01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Oh WOW, 95% is sure impressive! :eek: :lol:

!<bloc_party>!
01-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Marat is an amazing talent. But, he's lazy and doesn't care most of the time. This doesn't help his ranking.

Please beat Roddick. I want another classic semi.

Jimnik
01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Amazing record. :yeah:
But I hope he runs out of gas on Friday. ;)

Voo de Mar
01-17-2007, 12:28 PM
All his 5-setters in Melbourne (8-0):

1999: Kuerten 6-3 5-7 4-6 6-3 6-4
2002: Haas 6-7(5) 7-6(4) 3-6 6-0 6-2
2004: T.Martin 7-5 1-6 4-6 6-0 7-5
2004: Roddick 2-6 6-3 7-5 6-7(0) 6-4
2004: Agassi 7-6(6) 7-6(6) 5-7 1-6 6-3
2005: Federer 5-7 6-4 5-7 7-6(6) 9-7
2007: Becker 5-7 7-6(2) 3-6 6-3 6-4
2007: Sela 6-3 5-7 4-6 7-6(4) 6-0

jenanun
01-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Amazing record. What a player! If only he could be a bit more consistent. Apart from Federer, he is the best player on the tour (but does not have the second best results because he is such a headcase).
I really get the impression that he kind of needs to be in big trouble and get very irritated before he really can play his best tennis.

the record is impressive,
however, imo, he is one of the most overrated player on tour... he is good and talented, but certainly not the 2nd best.... he maybe the 2nd best player or even the best player on a particular day, but he doesnt have the consistency... you cannot judge him on his best performances and say he is the 2nd best... he could be crappy as well....

anyway, i still like him....

safinalium
01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
well, marat is special. ;)

Guybrush
01-17-2007, 01:14 PM
# The only 4-or-5-setter that Safin has ever lost at the AO was the 2002 FINAL~ where he chocked against Johannson after the burly Russian led by a set:sad:

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Ernham
01-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Apart from Federer, he is the best player on the tour

Maybe the WTA tour... maybe.

leng jai
01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Well stratch the win against Haas. He was completely gone before the rain saved his ass.

belgampaul
01-17-2007, 02:13 PM
however, imo, he is one of the most overrated player on tour... he is good and talented, but certainly not the 2nd best.... he maybe the 2nd best player or even the best player on a particular day, but he doesnt have the consistency... you cannot judge him on his best performances and say he is the 2nd best... he could be crappy as well....

what has overrated to do with Marat?

an overrated player cannot beat a fully concentrated Fed on any occasion.

an overrated player can not reach 4 GS finals.

he's just that streaky and very demanding. Balls are not good, sky is too blue, too windy, too tired, clouds are too grey etc...

He just cannot fully devote himself to the tennis, that's all. i would not call him even lazy but more sort of genetically defected (malisse is the same kind of thing).

but why would anyone call him overrated? i'd call him the greatest underachiver.

anyways even if the record looks impressive it's not because of marat's ability to pull through this matches but because he's just plain better than the other's, more pure talent.

belgampaul
01-17-2007, 02:15 PM
if those matches were played in 3 sets he would have lost 6 out of 8
that's really impressive and explains why he's not #1

fadou
01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
true, 2 GS is not enough for a guy talented like him.
he should have 5 GS at least

lau
01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
* All in all Safin is 19/1 in 4/5-setters at the AO = 95%:worship:

I knew it was good, but never thought it was 95% :lol:
Thanks for the stats :)

And nice to see some people post in more Safin threads than most of his fans :p :lol:

trixtah
01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
^ haha yeah, I never knew it was THIS good...

everybody brace yourselves...Ernham hasn't spotted this thread yet :)

Guybrush
01-17-2007, 06:03 PM
imo, he is one of the most overrated player on tour...

I agree. :o

jenanun
01-17-2007, 08:18 PM

an overrated player cannot beat a fully concentrated Fed on any occasion.

an overrated player can not reach 4 GS finals.

he's just that streaky and very demanding. Balls are not good, sky is too blue, too windy, too tired, clouds are too grey etc...

He just cannot fully devote himself to the tennis, that's all. i would not call him even lazy but more sort of genetically defected (malisse is the same kind of thing).

but why would anyone call him overrated? i'd call him the greatest underachiver.

anyways even if the record looks impressive it's not because of marat's ability to pull through this matches but because he's just plain better than the other's, more pure talent.

tell me exactly, how many times did safin beat federer? what is the h2h record?

i know alot of people here love safin, but 4GS final, 15 titles by the age of 27, doesnt sound too impressive to me..... roddick has similar achievement...

still, i m rooting for safin against roddick!

AnnaK_4ever
01-17-2007, 08:26 PM
i know alot of people here love safin, but 4GS final, 15 titles by the age of 27, doesnt sound too impressive to me..... roddick has similar achievement...

I never knew the sport's No.1 could be a rubbish :o Yes, nothing impressive. Both Safin and Roddick just fluked it all the way to the top-rank and Slam titles.
:rolleyes:

amon84
01-17-2007, 08:31 PM

I can't be really objective concerning Marat but what it seems to me is that when Marat plays his best tennis, he is one or the best! To me, it's not the same thing at all when Roddick plays his best tennis!
Actually, we are not talking about achievements, but about potential. So potentially, Marat is one of the best tennis players on the tour!

cmurray
01-17-2007, 08:33 PM

THAT is MTF sacrilege. :lol:

jenanun
01-17-2007, 08:33 PM
I never knew the sport's No.1 could be a rubbish :o Yes, nothing impressive. Both Safin and Roddick just fluked it all the way to the top-rank and Slam titles.
:rolleyes:

thats not what i mean... it is impressive, but not like safin is the 2nd best player on tour.... if safin is the 2nd best player on tour, how about hewitt or roddick who seem to achieve more than him... safin is overrated, but i m not saying he is rubbish....

jenanun
01-17-2007, 08:34 PM
i know i shouldnt say anything negative about safin in MTF... sorry guys, i will just shut up, or i will be in BIG trouble.....

cmurray
01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
i know i shouldnt say anything negative about safin in MTF... sorry guys, i will just shut up, or i will be in BIG trouble.....

SHAME on you. ;)

Actually, I agree with you. The guy is mad talented, but he has spent so much time....wasting it. He may be the 2nd most "talented" player, but he has so much infulfilled potential......

AnnaK_4ever
01-17-2007, 09:00 PM
thats not what i mean... it is impressive, but not like safin is the 2nd best player on tour.... if safin is the 2nd best player on tour, how about hewitt or roddick who seem to achieve more than him... safin is overrated, but i m not saying he is rubbish....

Safin is the fourth on the list of most successful active players behind Roger, Lleyton and Gustavo. He has achieved a little more than Andy, imo. 1 more Slam, 1 more Masters title, more prize money, QF+ at all Slams.
But he's definitely not the 2nd best player on the Tour. In the last two years he is not even in Top-10 "best players" which is perfectly reflected by the rankings.

belgampaul
01-17-2007, 09:41 PM

you know i'm not here to defend safin, but i was just hurt by the word overrated. it's not like the guy has done nothing in his career. out of 9999 atp players to be ranked 4th in his achievements means overrated?

i look at davydenko for example and i don't know how he got that high and i think he's overrated by the mtf though they say he's overrendted :) .

but marat is something sort of sacred. almost everyone feels that he has something special in him even if he's playing like crap. there are moments you see how it could have been if he were more devoted to what he does.

Gasquet has something in him too and so he can not be overrated either,
as well as Fed before his first Wimbledon title.

you may call him any names you like but not a cheater (like erhnem calls him) or an overrated player. lack of consistency is a fact but how many times he got back to the top after being in hte far end of the 100 best atp players.

Most of those comebacks thanks to AO, BTW.

Meeek
01-17-2007, 09:47 PM

I'm a Safin supporter (I hate the word 'fan', it sounds freaky) and I agree here.
He is not the 2nd best player on the tour. He could be, if, if, if and if... But he's not.
Overrated is a strong word...cause it's the first time I hear it being said he's the 2nd best. I don't think there's a majority who believes that.

TheBoiledEgg
01-17-2007, 09:52 PM

how many times has Safin had to come back from serious injury
2001 serious back injury, yet the plonker played on just to get the bonus $$ he would by playing all 9 TMS as previous yrs #2

2003 season written off after Aus Open injury, rank fell off radar
comeback in 2004
won Aus 2005, then serious knee injury in mid-2005, again rank off the radar.

coming back once is tough, twice but its his 3rd one and he's not yet 27.

everytime he was in top 10 he got a serious injury that made him miss months.

dont think anyone else would have comeback to top 10 (three times) after 3 major injuries........
4th time is on the way.

Bilbo
01-17-2007, 10:00 PM
this safin is good

r2473
01-17-2007, 10:07 PM

What the hell does this mean? You are judged on your performance. Your ability to win "in anyway necessary". Is Marat talanted? Of course. But he would rather lose than to win in a way that is "beneath him".

CmonAussie
01-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Here`s the clip from AO 2002 Final [trophy presentation]~> after SAFIN`s only lose in a 4-or-5-set match at AO [the infamous choke against ToJo]><..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdU0ppHslLU

acharlesmobile
01-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Well if you watched Safin in the 5th set last night, you see a glimpse of what he can do. Sela wasn't slower. He had a good 15 minutes of rest and then warmup. But Marat played amazing tennis to bagel Sela. Maybe not the rest of the match before that, but that last set was amazing. Don't compare Roddick to Safin until their match please.

*Viva Chile*
01-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Here`s the clip from AO 2002 Final [trophy presentation]~> after SAFIN`s only lose in a 4-or-5-set match at AO [the infamous choke against ToJo]><..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdU0ppHslLU

I was funny when he refered to "his family siblings" :lol: about the 3 hot blonde chicks :devil:

drf716
01-18-2007, 02:04 AM
that record is great
but i wish he wouldn't have to make it harder for himself
and try to finish them in 3
so i won't have to go crazy.