Andy Roddick def M.Gicquel 6-3 7-6 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Roddick def M.Gicquel 6-3 7-6 6-4

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Great Match from Andy !! Played really good his net points won was again above 60%

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 04:28 AM
Really? I thought it was pretty pathetic, especially on the return.

Safin in 3, maybe 4 sets in the next round based on that performance.

rofe
01-17-2007, 04:30 AM

I saw it differently. Andy could have done better but he paced himself very well once he realized that he couldn't be broken.

IDJ49
01-17-2007, 04:33 AM

Did you see the whole match? I only saw like 3 or 4 games.

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 04:33 AM
exactly as Rofe said, it was clear that Andy could do much better, but it's better to preserve energy in Slams , anyway Andy's focus hasn't been 100% since he went 2-0 in first set.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 04:36 AM
Did you see the whole match? I only saw like 3 or 4 games.I saw the 2nd and 3rd sets. he played better in the third than the second :unsure:

Wouldn't it be better to preserve energy by actually stepping inside the baseline, hitting bigger returns and taking some risks??? His returning was awful, and nothing you say will convince me otherwise :lol:

Merton
01-17-2007, 04:41 AM
It was a nervous match for Andy, he served well but also made many unforced errors. The win is all that matters at this point.

Merton
01-17-2007, 04:43 AM

Let us wait for Safin to come through first. :p Having said that, their matches are close, I would be shocked if it was a 3-set match and mildly surprised for a 4-set match. Note that I say nothing about the outcome.:)

tangerine_dream
01-17-2007, 04:45 AM
Andy got his bad playing out of his system, now he will be ready for Marat. :)

What did Andy say in his oncourt interview afterwards? ESPN doesn't show those. :(

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 04:46 AM
Let us wait for Safin to come through first. :p Having said that, their matches are close, I would be shocked if it was a 3-set match and mildly surprised for a 4-set match. Note that I say nothing about the outcome.:)I'll eat my shirt if Marat loses to Dudi Sela.

I thought Andy was so average in this match and Marat is 100 times better than Marc Gicquel. Maybe Andy will relax a little more (Brad seems convinced :haha: :rolls: ) but I don't see it happening :shrug:

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 04:48 AM

What did Andy say in his oncourt interview afterwards? ESPN doesn't show those. :(

WTAsports also didn't show it, they instantly move do Serena match

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 04:49 AM

What did Andy say in his oncourt interview afterwards? ESPN doesn't show those. :(apparently he said he knew he was a brat in his first match and got big cheers from the crowd, that jerk :D

Balerion
01-17-2007, 04:50 AM
I'll eat my shirt if Marat loses to Dudi Sela.

I thought Andy was so average in this match and Marat is 100 times better than Marc Gicquel. Maybe Andy will relax a little more (Brad seems convinced :haha: :rolls: ) but I don't see it happening :shrug:

Marat is the same guy who took the full five sets to beat Benjamin Becker.

Roddick's game is certainly imperfect and his return game leaves something to be desired. However, Marat Safin is the most overhyped player on MTF and while he always has that upside, he's also far more capable than Roddick of coming completely undone.

Merton
01-17-2007, 04:52 AM
I'll eat my shirt if Marat loses to Dudi Sela.

It is a different match, he was nervous because an upset today would be a disaster, hopefully he will just play his tennis in the next round.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 04:56 AM
It is a different match, he was nervous because an upset today would be a disaster, hopefully he will just play his tennis in the next round.maybe, but he was practicing all the bad habits that got him into a slump - bad net approaches, awful lazy shots, terrible returning, and worst of all standing feet behind the baseline again. He needs to be implementing his "new style" in every match, not just the tough ones. People are talking about conserving energy but if he had played his proper game that he is capable of he would have won his first two matches much more easily and with much less court time, IMO :shrug:

bluefork
01-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Marat is the same guy who took the full five sets to beat Benjamin Becker.

Roddick's game is certainly imperfect and his return game leaves something to be desired. However, Marat Safin is the most overhyped player on MTF and while he always has that upside, he's also far more capable than Roddick of coming completely undone.

On the other hand, Safin arguably can step it up better than Roddick. Despite how awful Safin was last year, he still had more wins over top 10 players than Roddick did (he practically had more wins over top 10 players than over everyone else).

Clara Bow
01-17-2007, 04:59 AM
maybe, but he was practicing all the bad habits that got him into a slump - bad net approaches, awful lazy shots, terrible returning, and worst of all standing feet behind the baseline again. He needs to be implementing his "new style" in every match, not just the tough ones. People are talking about conserving energy but if he had played his proper game that he is capable of he would have won his first two matches much more easily and with much less court time, IMO :shrug:

Well, I have noticed that a number of players in the top five or ten over the past few years rarely have their top form in the first two or three matches of a GS. So...Andy still has time this tournament. :)

rofe
01-17-2007, 05:00 AM
maybe, but he was practicing all the bad habits that got him into a slump - bad net approaches, awful lazy shots, terrible returning, and worst of all standing feet behind the baseline again. He needs to be implementing his "new style" in every match, not just the tough ones. People are talking about conserving energy but if he had played his proper game that he is capable of he would have won his first two matches much more easily and with much less court time, IMO :shrug:

It is a question of mental intensity not physical intensity. He was not as intense because it was simply not required. At least, that is how I saw it. :shrug:

I anticipate a fired up Andy in the next match. He will have to be.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 05:02 AM
It is a question of mental intensity not physical intensity. He was not as intense because it was simply not required. At least, that is how I saw it. :shrug:Well as a fan it's a discouraging attitude, he's trying to right his game and his career and he has made a lot of positive changes to his game but to be able to successfully use these new things in the big important matches, he has to use them in the smaller ones where the result is much less in doubt. He didn't do that, and it's just going to be that much harder to turn them on when it gets really tight and the stage gets bigger. I don't think it takes that much more mental intensity to force oneself to stand a few steps closer to the baseline but if he wants to beat Marat he's gotta get himself into that better habit that he's been working so hard on in practice :shrug:

Jimnik
01-17-2007, 05:05 AM
I definately thought Andy stepped it up after his performance against Tsonga. I don't think he did too much wrong today, although there were some nervous moments. I thought Gicquel was a f**ing surgeon with his racket today, so many BH passing shots landed within an inch of the line. Andy's approaches weren't that bad.

I expect Marat and Andy to both step it up for the next round. No doubt it will be a night session match.

rofe
01-17-2007, 05:08 AM
Well as a fan it's a discouraging attitude, he's trying to right his game and his career and he has made a lot of positive changes to his game but to be able to successfully use these new things in the big important matches, he has to use them in the smaller ones where the result is much less in doubt. He didn't do that, and it's just going to be that much harder to turn them on when it gets really tight and the stage gets bigger. I don't think it takes that much more mental intensity to force oneself to stand a few steps closer to the baseline but if he wants to beat Marat he's gotta get himself into that better habit that he's been working so hard on in practice :shrug:

Standing closer to the baseline and taking the ball early still doesn't come naturally to him. His serve is very natural and it didn't waiver at all. Usually when he is flat, his serve is the first thing to get affected. It didn't today.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 05:10 AM
alright let's just agree to disagree, and I'll return to my hole in the andy forum where people understand what i'm trying to say :sobbing:

RonE
01-17-2007, 05:12 AM
I only saw a couple of minutes of this match- notably the second set tiebreak before heading off to work this morning. I must say in that tiebreak he did play rather well and the serve was a monster.

It will definitely be interesting to see him play Marat (should he come through but as Deb said I would be really shocked if Dudi beats him). I still remember their encounter here in the quarterfinal three years ago- it was a cracking match back then hopefuly they will produce another on Friday :)

R.Federer
01-17-2007, 05:23 AM
Andy played as well as he needed to, to get through. IMO, experienced players do this, they conserve energy as best as they can, they don't get into top gear if it's not necessary.

Murray and Novak and others, all credit to them for bagelling so many times, but IMO they are playing their best at all times in these earlier rounds, which is probably unnecessary.

Rogiman
01-17-2007, 05:41 AM
However, Marat Safin is the most overhyped player on MTF and while he always has that upside, he's also far more capable than Roddick of coming completely undone.:worship:

nobama
01-17-2007, 06:56 AM
Andre Agassi had it right tonight when he commented on Andy's game. Basically that he has to be more agressive on the return and not give his opponent so many short balls (I think Andy basically said as much in his R1 press conference).

tangerine_dream
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
alright let's just agree to disagree, and I'll return to my hole in the andy forum where people understand what i'm trying to say :sobbing:
Aww, well you know what they say: ducks of a feather.... ;) :hug:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Aww, well you know what they say: ducks of a feather.... ;) :hug::ras: Did someone say duck?:D

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/0e/full.getty-72061257wj172_australian_op_12_56_33_am.jpg