Federer 'destroys' Bjorkman: 6-2, 6-3, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer 'destroys' Bjorkman: 6-2, 6-3, 6-2

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Good job, Rogelio! :worship:

Still - as I always have my critical remarks for any of my favourites (and Rogi is no exception to that rule :devil: ) - he came across as unconcentrated at times, being rather 'vocal' as well. Absolutely brilliant moments exchanged by sloppy UE's (backhand shots against - or rather, behind - the line), slight signs of irritation here and there... :rolleyes:
That said, he played a lot better in the third set as compared to the first two.

IMHO, he's rightfully not completely happy with his game yet. Of course Bjorkman isn't a serious contender he'd have to fear in any way, but Rogi will have to do better to eventually win the AO, I think (especially after I witnessed Rafa's perfomance yesterday, which was pretty good IMHO! :angel: ).

Well, next is Teh Joke :devil: - pardon me, Djokovic - and I guess that will be Rogi's first real challenge for this AO. Let's just see what happens!

ghstwrld
01-17-2007, 02:15 AM
Did espn show this match??

rofe
01-17-2007, 02:16 AM
TMG.

He will probably play Misha in the next round not Novak. Misha is currently up a set.

scoobs
01-17-2007, 02:16 AM
"Idiot" count in this match: 2

Strange that he's being so vocally self-critical at the moment - it's a bit like his bad old days when he was not under control. Worth keeping an eye on.

TMJordan
01-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Big man picking on Phau and Bjorkman, the draw will be getting alot harder very soon :devil:

wowfed

Nope. Those bastards are gonna start showing at 11.00 p.m EST just when Andy Rod takes court.

adee-gee
Fascinating match, why I was watching this at 3am I'll never know :retard: :cuckoo:

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 02:19 AM

Don't know... Eurosport did, and I had a well-working livestream from betfair as well.

Oh, Rofe... if he'll have to play Misha, I guess it'll be even better. If so, I stand corrected! :)

Peacemaster
01-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Roger looked imperious at times. The backhand was amazing throughout. Jonas played magnificently in patches. Very enjoyable match.

scoobs
01-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Fascinating match, why I was watching this at 3am I'll never know :retard: :cuckoo:

You're revealing your secret Fedtard tendencies. Admit it. You're on the Federer Express too - even if you're hiding from the other passengers in the toilet :)

Clara Bow
01-17-2007, 02:21 AM

Strange that he's being so vocally self-critical at the moment - it's a bit like his bad old days when he was not under control. Worth keeping an eye on.

I did not see this match, but I noticed throughout 2006 that he is quite a bit fiestier on court than he was during 2004 and parts of 2005. He has been quite a bit more vocal lately-- to where imo the claims of him being robotic are increasingly :rolleyes:. At least in my opinion. ;)

Viken01
:zzz: :rocker: congrat roger

Sunset of Age

Most definitely, I must say it worries me for a bit... :confused:

LLeytonRules
01-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Many would love to have Fed's performance today.Believe me, he will put the pedal to the metal, bring on Djokovic!!!!!

Byrd
01-17-2007, 02:22 AM
His performance was ok, did enough to win, but roger did hit more backhand winners than his forehand surprisingly :eek:

nobama
01-17-2007, 02:23 AM
So in other news Fed's not God and doesn't play perfect tennis all the time. :yawn:

sykotique
01-17-2007, 02:23 AM

It may seem a silly thing to say, but I seriously wonder if he's annoyed with the fact that he can't find any room for improvement. I mean, he played so well last year, it would not be beyond the realm of belief that he has reached his optimum level of performance.

Not saying that, from here, it's all downhill, I see him at the top for at least the next 2 years, because he's in such good shape. But I think the analogy of times in a 100m over time would best suit what I'm saying...you know how every time the record is broke, it's broken by 1/100th of a second and by mere 1/1000ths sometimes, whereas, back in the day, the record could be broken by whole seconds.

It may just be that as Federer gets better, it will take longer for fans (and himself) to actually see improvement in his game and being the perfectionist that he is, it's understanding how that could be irritating.

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 02:26 AM
It may seem a silly thing to say, but I seriously wonder if he's annoyed with the fact that he can't find any room for improvement. I mean, he played so well last year, it would not be beyond the realm of belief that he has reached his optimum level of performance.

No, not silly at all - I can well imagine his annoyance with this. Would be a hard fact to bear for anyone, let alone a perfectionist as Fed.

Metis
01-17-2007, 02:31 AM
I am surprised nobody else has mentioned this. Roger was pissed off because Murray almost served 3 bagels whereas he got broken twice by Bjorkman :angel:

Bremen
01-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Good job Federer! No sets lost so far! Should be a bit tougher if he plays Misha though...

Shrinking Violet
01-17-2007, 02:34 AM
His courtside interview was funny as hell.

'Why did you change your early season routine'
'Well, I had a long season and I don't need to practice' :lol::lol: (It was a joke in case any haters jump in and think he was being completely serious - he was only half serious when he said it. ;))

Fedex
01-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Something I coulden't explain either. Maybe you are a closet Fed fan. :p :devil:

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 02:39 AM
His coachside interview was funny as hell.

'Well, I had a long season and I don't need to practice' :lol::lol: (It was a joke in case any haters jump in and think he was being completely serious - he was only half serious when he said it. ;))

Yeah, that was very tongue-in-cheek funny! But I wouldn't wonder when people would indeed take it seriously... Rogi's such a nice chap, he always manages to fuel the hatred without even trying... :angel:

Fergie
01-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Rogi :yeah:

Fedex
01-17-2007, 02:46 AM
His coachside interview was funny as hell.

I saw the interview. :yeah: :lol:

sawan66278
01-17-2007, 02:53 AM
All I can say, as I've said before: Bjorkman was simply taking up a spot that should have gone to someone else. Its a shame that a wasted spot in a slam went to a player like Jonas...stick to doubles...and give someone else a shot. I'm sure there are players from smaller nations who would like a shot...

As soon as I saw him in the draw...all I could say was: cannon fodder for Roger...Do us a favor Jonas: don't place you name in the draw of the French or the U.S. Open.:mad:

Samuel
01-17-2007, 02:59 AM
As soon as I saw him in the draw...all I could say was: cannon fodder for Roger...Do us a favor Jonas: don't place you name in the draw of the French or the U.S. Open.:mad:

Why? I think you're being unjust. He has every right to take part in the singles. In last years Wimbeldon he proved it, don't you think so? :wavey:

Besides: Congrats to Roger! Now continiu like this...

rosamunda
01-17-2007, 03:01 AM
All I can say, as I've said before: Bjorkman was simply taking up a spot that should have gone to someone else. Its a shame that a wasted spot in a slam went to a player like Jonas...stick to doubles...and give someone else a shot. I'm sure there are players from smaller nations who would like a shot...

Ooh, that's a little unkind to the lovely Jonas. I know he's not in the same league as Roger (not many are), but he had some pretty good moments in that match and it made for some great points here and there - just not many of them, unfortunately.

NYCtennisfan
01-17-2007, 03:06 AM

He won a match at a slam which shows he deserves to be there. Winning any match at any slam at his age is a job well done. If you weren't so angry at the fact that Fed won so easily, maybe you could see this. :)

nobama
01-17-2007, 03:31 AM

As soon as I saw him in the draw...all I could say was: cannon fodder for Roger...Do us a favor Jonas: don't place you name in the draw of the French or the U.S. Open.:mad:Your're just a roger hater. I could say that Alberto Martin and Nico Massu were wasted space too.

soraya
01-17-2007, 03:43 AM
OH my the second overtime for the college basket ball. Clay buster, as long as Roger is vocal to himself it does not bother me. The day he starts abusing the umpire, linespeople, and ballkids then we should worry about him, though I doubt that will never happen.

RonE
01-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Your're just a roger hater. I could say that Alberto Martin and Nico Massu were wasted space too.

And the same could also be said for Kendrick.

Anyway, predictable result really. Roger taking care of business.

It gets a bit more interesting in the next round with Misha- even though Roger has a flawless H2H record against him he will be no pushover.

And I really hope Djokovic seals the deal and reaches the 4th round it would be really interesting to see that potential match bearing in mind all that happened during the DC tie last year and Rogi's comments about him.

But, back to the present- still round 3 to play.

Rogiman
01-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Rogi will have to do better to eventually win the AO, I think (especially after I witnessed Rafa's perfomance yesterday, which was pretty good IMHO! :angel: ).
Indeed he has some players to fear, and Nadal isn't one of them.

Metis
01-17-2007, 05:55 AM
Indeed he has some players to fear, and Nadal isn't one of them.

Then he must be hoping Nadal reaches the final. ;)

Rogiman
01-17-2007, 06:13 AM
Then he must be hoping Nadal reaches the final. ;)I'm sure he does, but there's no chance of that happening.

Allez
01-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Roger takes care of business as usual. Mikhail is going to be tough, but I hope Fed can pull it off so we can watch the Djokovic 4th round clash. There's bound to be drama galore on that one considering Rogi's previous remarks with regards to young Novak :boxing:

bokehlicious
01-17-2007, 06:54 AM
There's bound to be drama galore on that one considering Rogi's previous remarks with regards to young Novak :boxing:

Novak probably isn't as annoyed by Rogers's comments as some MTFers are... :)

sykotique
01-17-2007, 07:18 AM
I think Djokovic will be fired up to face Federer. And though Federer might not say it, if he had to choose a list of players he wouldn't mind losing to, Novak probably wouldn't make the list.

Which is why I expect both of them to bring their A-game and for it to be a great match. Pity for Novak he has to play him in the round of 16. I think he would have needed to play Federer when he was still "vulnerable" in the earlier rounds, but after the 3rd round, he pretty much seems to go on auto-pilot.

oz_boz
01-17-2007, 08:00 AM

:silly:

What is your opinion on Patience then? Martin, Pim Pim or Massu, then maybe you would have made some sense.

Art&Soul
01-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Congrats ROGI, go to way Champion

vincayou
01-17-2007, 09:35 AM
This swiss guy plays well, he might mount a challenge to Djokovic for the title.

MariaV
01-17-2007, 09:38 AM
This swiss guy plays well, he might mount a challenge to Djokovic for the title.

:haha: :haha: :yeah:

bokehlicious
01-17-2007, 09:54 AM

It would be the surprise of the year so far whether Roger pulled off the upset against king Nole :o

Shabazza
01-17-2007, 12:03 PM
It would be the surprise of the year so far whether Roger pulled off the upset against king Nole :o

It's still a long shot, though. But I go out on a limb and say he'll manage.

DrJules
01-17-2007, 12:25 PM

What does that say about the 5 players Jonas beat to reach the Wimbledon semi-final in 2006?

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
What does that say about the 5 players Jonas beat to reach the Wimbledon semi-final in 2006?

Wasn't Jonas part of some players's so called cakewalk draw? ;)

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Eh good match!! Credit to Roger he was playing much better in 2nd round.
but still he was broken 6 times in 6 sets, Youznhy will be harder test

Eden
01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Federer Express seems to gather momentum :yeah:

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Federer Express seems to gather momentum :yeah:

Yeah... but I think Fed's next match will be his first real test. Youhzny is kind of a tough cookie, very talented guy and seems to be on fire.
Well - we'll see!

Eden
01-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah... but I think Fed's next match will be his first real test.

I agree.

Youhzny is kind of a tough cookie, very talented guy and seems to be on fire.

I have to confess that I haven't seen any of Youzhnys matches this year. I was pretty impressed by his matches against Nadal and Roddick at last years US Open.

Federer is leading the h2h 7:0 and the only two sets he lost were from 2000 and 2003.

But I think the match against Mikhail will be a good preparation for Roger for a possible encounter with Djokovic.

tennisgal_001
01-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Roger getting better as the tourney progresses on, nothing new, and Bjorkman is always a good practice partner (loved the MP). Youzhny in R3 is what Federer needs at the moment, I have no doubt he'll get through, but it will be interesting for sure. The drama starts in the R16...

+alonso
01-17-2007, 05:09 PM
ESPN Latin America showed it

Hey Federer did not destroyed Jonas :shrug: :o

Federer played great but Jonas had also some very good points :D

Allez
01-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Novak probably isn't as annoyed by Rogers's comments as some MTFers are... :)
Yeah, I'm sure Nole is ecstatic over Rogi's comments :rolleyes:

Pfloyd
01-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Bjorkman is federer's confidence booster-bitch....

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
ESPN Latin America showed it

Hey Federer did not destroyed Jonas :shrug: :o

Federer played great but Jonas had also some very good points :D

I know... that's why I put the word 'destroyed' between '...'s ;)
Bjorkman did what he could, and indeed, he had some good points as well.

ExpectedWinner
01-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Bjorkman is federer's confidence booster-bitch....

:retard:

jazar
01-17-2007, 07:29 PM
at least jonas got more games than at wimbledon