Will anyone stop Federer from winning in Indian Wells? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will anyone stop Federer from winning in Indian Wells?

Ray
03-19-2004, 04:11 AM
Waaw Federer just keeps going on impressing me.
After that performance against Chela I'm really wondering if anyone can beat him. Though Agassi is my fave I doubt he'll be able to win Federer.
Due to his age and simply that Federer is just too good :)

Do any of you guys think that any of the remaning players will beat Federer?

MisterQ
03-19-2004, 04:16 AM
Maybe Andre. Fed said today in his post-match interview that Andre is his toughest opponent, and mentioned his loss to him at Kooyong earlier this year.

It could be slaughter by Andre ala Kooyong, or a decimation by Fed ala Masters Cup final, or a very tight thriller ala Masters Cup Round Robin.

Having said that, I give Roger the edge, but Andre has a chance.

Dirk
03-19-2004, 04:16 AM
I think andy might. I think if Roger gets Tim, Roger will finally get him. Hell Andre could beat him as well. Roger just needs to keep playing well and the title is likely his.

WyveN
03-19-2004, 04:19 AM
The original poster is asking about Miami........if Federer wins in Indian Wells I think he should skip Miami

As for Indian Wells Roddick or obviously Henman can beat him. I would be very surprised if it was Andre.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:24 AM
at IW, I'd love to see how Roddick and his new improvements would stack up against Roger. I think it could be very interesting though I imagine Roger would still be able to pull it out.

Miami is much slower right? Andre loves it there and is 3-time defending champ so you'd have to give him a chance.

But ummm I don't know, Roger seems pretty invincible right now.

Dynasty
03-19-2004, 04:30 AM
If someone pounds Federer's backhand, they could have a chance. Agassi will probably go after it, if he is smart.

WyveN
03-19-2004, 04:36 AM
Andre tried that at TMC......majority of Roger's winners were from backhand side

MisterQ
03-19-2004, 04:39 AM
But in other matches it has worked.

Depends how well the strategy is being executed, and on Roger's mentality too. You're right that if Roger is very confident he can handle the pressure.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:41 AM
I'd love to see the new aggressive net-rushing Andy up against Roger. Don't know if Andy'd be able to get a win out of it but it'd be interesting to see what happens.

Fedex
03-19-2004, 04:44 AM
Well, it come down to this, as i thought it would. Should be a good 1, hopefully like TMC Round Robin. If Rogi wins their rivalry will be tied at 3-3 :D

tangerine_dream
03-19-2004, 04:44 AM

Anyone who makes it into the finals with Federer always has a chance of beating him. Contrary to what many may think, he's not not unbeatable. He's a great player but so are many others.

WyveN
03-19-2004, 04:45 AM
Depends how well the strategy is being executed

someone has been reading a lot of Andre interviews :lol:

Fedex
03-19-2004, 04:47 AM
Come now Bunk. I doubt the Andy would 'Net Rush' against Fed. Plus if he does, Federer will thread passing shots past him like crazy. I think he's trying to take a leaf out of Tim's book, but hate to say it, Tim's a far better volleyer. Remember TMC and Wimbledon Andy tried that strategy and it failed.

Vass
03-19-2004, 04:50 AM
Waaw Federer just keeps going on impressing me.
After that performance against Chela I'm really wondering if anyone can beat him. Though Agassi is my fave I doubt he'll be able to win Federer.
Due to his age and simply that Federer is just too good :)

We should change the question and direct it to all tournaments. For all we know there might be a gap appearing between the number one and the rest, like in WTA.

Dynasty
03-19-2004, 04:50 AM
Federer likes to slice that backhand on the run and if there is enough pace or force on the ball it will be hard to get that slice back over the net.

Fedex
03-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Andy is still a natural Hard hitting basher. Andy can sort of use this strategy against lesser opponents(net rush)

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:52 AM
I see the subject was changed to IW so that was the intended question. In that case, yes I think Roger can be stopped. But I don't think it will be easy of course. Roger definitely showed signs of vulnerability in the matches I saw against Fish and Chela - but neither of them could at all convert any opportunities they had, and Fish just mentally fell apart. If Roger meets someone who's not intimidated and playing well enough to capitalize, it could be tricky.

AgassiFan
03-19-2004, 04:53 AM
I do not see any way Andre wins the match.

Andre's been averaging barely 50% on his already weak 1st serve in the last 2 games. That wouldn't get it done for Sampras.

The only aspect of their games that are close are movement and forehand; Roger kills Andre in serve, volley, backhand.

Andre is struggling with the likes of Mardy Fisher and Coria. There is no way he beats Roger and Andy back to back.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Andy is still a natural Hard hitting basher. Andy can sort of use this strategy against lesser opponents(net rush)

Oh silly me. Marat is a far lesser opponent than either Andy or Roger. How stupid of me.

Fedex
03-19-2004, 04:56 AM
Yes but to think Net Rushing for Andy is a good strategy agaisnt Rogi is insane. Rogi would pass him like you've never seen. Like i said it works for Henman because its his natural game.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:59 AM
Yes but to think Net Rushing for Andy is a good strategy agaisnt Rogi is insane. Rogi would pass him like you've never seen. Like i said it works for Henman because its his natural game.

Look, did you read what I said? I didn't say it would work, I said it would be interesting to see what happens. Plus, I bet if people said Andy was going to go to net about 40 times against Marat people would've laughed and said the same thing but he won about 75% of net points. ohhhhhhh I forgot though, Andy got so lucky and will never make volleys like that again. :banghead:

Fedex
03-19-2004, 05:02 AM
No Andy did NOT make good Volleys, Marat made terrible passing shots ;) And Roger comes up with some of the best Plus the fact that Andy has NO answer to Rogi's net play.

WyveN
03-19-2004, 05:47 AM
Oh silly me. Marat is a far lesser opponent than either Andy or Roger. How stupid of me.

Marat is more talented then Andy but I think in absolute terms Andy may well become the better player

AgassiFan
03-19-2004, 06:00 AM
Marat is more talented then Andy but I think in absolute terms Andy may wwll become the better player

Who had the best racket speed on the ground-stroke of all time?

WyveN
03-19-2004, 06:05 AM
Who had the best racket speed on the ground-stroke of all time?

Arthurs?

AgassiFan
03-19-2004, 06:07 AM
Arthurs?

Nevermind. You probably don't know yourself, he-she.

WyveN
03-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Was I wrong? Must have been Karlovic then

AgassiFan
03-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Was I wrong? Must have been Karlovic then

I think our distinguished cum-dumpster is right. Karlovic it is.

WyveN
03-19-2004, 06:28 AM
Darn, wrong again. Rusedski?

CanadianBoy18
03-19-2004, 06:54 AM
If Marat could be at least a bit consistent, and I know he is coming from injury, but he is usually like this, he would win much more. But then again everybody COUD be more consistent....
Roger seems unbeatable know, but I do hope Andre takes him out, and then takes Andy out.

Dirk
03-19-2004, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing an Andre win. If Roger doesn't win it, I want Andre to.

J. Corwin
03-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Someone who can consistently hit heavy topspin to his backhand has the best chance. Andre's shots are usually too flat. Chela hit some nice heavy shots with a lot of top to Roger's backhand in the beginning of their match and it irritated Roger a bit. Roger got frustrated just enough that his shots started to spray. Chela couldn't capitalize and convert those breakpoints to go up a break in that 1st set...and that was that. Once Roger held, regained confidence, and got his shots back in again, it was over.

The player to beat Roger will have to rattle him mentally so he mishits and contributes some errors. And in order to rattle him, I think attacking his backhand with heavy top spin is the way to go. I've seen Roger slice those balls into the net. From my observation, once Roger's backhand goes away and makes some bad errors, the rest of his game drops and he starts making a lot more UE's.

Yes Roger has a good backhand and can go up the line, draw players in with a low, short slice, etc etc...but it's nowhere near his insane forehand. That forehand is lightning-reflex quick and has much more power.

azza
03-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Irakli Labadze :)

If not him...

Timothy Henman :):):):)

Experimentee
03-19-2004, 01:08 PM
The title is between Agassi and Federer IMO. I think Andre is the only one left with a shot at beating Roger, although I doubt he will, the way Federer is playing. However its not out of the question, Agassi is better on this surface and they have had some very close matches in the past.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Marat is more talented then Andy but I think in absolute terms Andy may well become the better player

Well yes maybe so, but that wasn't the question. Fedex brilliantly said that Andy's new strategy of going to the net a lot more, namely serve-volleying and on his opponent's second serve, only works against "lesser opponents" to use his words. And I take large issue with that statement, considering that the strategy worked with much MUCH success against Marat, whom I would not consider to be a lesser opponent at all.

Billabong
03-19-2004, 02:04 PM
I also want the winner of Federer/Agassi to win! But I really hope Rogi takes the title :cool:!!!

GOOOOOOO FED:D!!!!!!!!

ytben
03-19-2004, 02:13 PM
The other three left certainly have chances to stop him, but I hope they don't. Go Rogi :bounce:

Fedex
03-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Like i said Marat's passing game wasnt on or Andy would ve stopped coming in.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Like i said Marat's passing game wasnt on or Andy would ve stopped coming in.

Ok if that's what you want to believe :rolleyes:

Fedex
03-20-2004, 01:27 AM
Tim seemed to pass pretty well when Andy came in today ;) Great match by the way!

armaniman
03-20-2004, 01:40 AM
it sure was, hes been playing well all week and I hope we are treated to another roger v tim sequel, but agassi final would be great too, last time i remember tim beating him was basle 1998....

sometimes i forget how astute tim is tactically, its the mindset...the breaking and holding straight after that lets him down but he stayed calm and held matchpoint in the 2nd...hes chilling out the older he gets lol

Havok
03-20-2004, 01:51 AM
The original poster is asking about Miami........if Federer wins in Indian Wells I think he should skip Miami

As for Indian Wells Roddick or obviously Henman can beat him. I would be very surprised if it was Andre.
:retard: if you win one TMS you shoudln't pull out of the next one, thats just dumb. Federer is a top player, he's able to play week-in, week-out. as for people beating him. well we're down to Agassi who can beat him, and henman who owns the boy. so yes there are still people who can beat Fed

WyveN
03-20-2004, 01:55 AM
:retard: if you win one TMS you shoudln't pull out of the next one, thats just dumb. Federer is a top player, he's able to play week-in, week-out. as for people beating him. well we're down to Agassi who can beat him, and henman who owns the boy. so yes there are still people who can beat Fed

Playing two hardcourt events in extreme heat back to back takes a toll. Especially with the clay season coming up and DC.

I don't see what he could gain from Miami if he wins IW.

Henin pulled out of Miami.

Fedex
03-20-2004, 02:19 AM
Yes, but play dosnt start right away in Miami for top seeds, so he or anyone else should not have to skip Miami, regradless if they win IW.

MisterQ
03-20-2004, 02:27 AM
someone has been reading a lot of Andre interviews :lol:

:lol: you're right.

At least I didn't say "It's a function of..." or "No question about it..." :lol:

Havok
03-20-2004, 02:35 AM
Playing two hardcourt events in extreme heat back to back takes a toll. Especially with the clay season coming up and DC.

balming the heat is bullshit. Henin pulled out of Miami because that's the WTA. you can get away with not playing big events. ATP doesn't really allow you to pick and chose which TMS events to play or not, and him not playing it will put him at a dissadvantage. and as someone else has stated, the Miami tourney doesn't star right away. draws come out monday, then qualies, so matches start like friday, and besides he has a bye:rolleyes:
and again hes a top player, so he should be used to playing a lot

yanchr
03-20-2004, 06:08 AM
The way Henman is playing is scared. He absolutely has the game to beat Roger. His serve&volley almost reaches perfection and his all-round game is sth like Roger's IMO. The past results also couldn't have indicated that more. Roger should know what he should do now.

Action Jackson
03-20-2004, 07:25 AM
balming the heat is bullshit. Henin pulled out of Miami because that's the WTA. you can get away with not playing big events. ATP doesn't really allow you to pick and chose which TMS events to play or not, and him not playing it will put him at a dissadvantage. and as someone else has stated, the Miami tourney doesn't star right away. draws come out monday, then qualies, so matches start like friday, and besides he has a bye:rolleyes:

Actually the ATP has never come down on Agassi for regularly skipping Monte Carlo and Hamburg. Then again I remember when he played in Monte Carlo and got the crap beaten out of him by Costa, he was booed out of the stadium and deservedly so.

He hasn't been in Hamburg since 95, when he got thrashed by Bruguera 6-3, 6-1 and was given the treatment as well, then he came out and responded "What are you going to do stab me" , oh what a guy.

J. Corwin
03-20-2004, 08:55 AM
=I don't see what he could gain from Miami if he wins IW.

Uh, he can win it? (Miami)

GWH, Yes Andre has pulled out in many a TMS clay tournament but unlike Andre with those clay tournaments, Fed actually has a great shot at Miami.

Of course if something goes wrong with Roger physically then he should skip it. But I think it's a great chance for him to do well, and possibly win over at the Nasdaq-100. It's good chance for him to add more points to his #1 ranking as well. He should prepare for the clay tournaments but I think he's still better on hardcourt than on clay.

Just my 2 cents.

WyveN
03-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Uh, he can win it? (Miami)

Well obviously he can win it but that would mean long back to back weeks on hardcourt right before the required 3 day DC heroics and then the gruelling clay court season where if he plays well, the points he has to gain can far outweight what he can gain in Miami.

Action Jackson
03-20-2004, 09:14 AM
If Federer manages to win Indian Wells and he makes the 3rd round at Miami, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing in the long run.

He would still be well ahead in the points race and with that he can prepare for the DC at home. As Wyver said he will be needed for 3 days heroics and he's playing against the French who are very good on the surface they chose.

The clay season will be gruelling and might need to play 1 more tournament on clay if he doesn't get enough time on the surface, so he'll need to work harder on his fitness as the matches are going to be longer and it will be interesting to see if he can grind results out.

Originally Posted by 1jackson2001
GWH, Yes Andre has pulled out in many a TMS clay tournament but unlike Andre with those clay tournaments, Fed actually has a great shot at Miami.

jackson, Agassi has no excuse for snubbing these TMS events in Hamburg and Monte Carlo. I never realised getting booed for not trying was an excuse not turning up to an event. There are many players who don't have a chance to win TMS events, but they still turn up and play.

J. Corwin
03-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Oh I'm not condoning Andre for not showing up at those events. I was using it to say that Roger should still try to win Miami.

Too bad he's missing 2 out of the 9 but I think Andre will be the greatest TMS player ever.

AgassiFan
03-20-2004, 10:02 PM
jackson, Agassi has no excuse for snubbing these TMS events in Hamburg and Monte Carlo

Sure he does. He doesn't like France and its people. He doesn't like Germany and its people, save for one. He doesn't like clay and wants to save his energy generally by playing less, so skipping Europe-based tourneys is a perfect fit. He loves his America, the Key-Biscains and Liptons and Indiana Wellses and Houstons. Etc.

I knew he wouldn't beat Federer. His best chance came in the first 2 sets when he had 4 break points to Federer's 1 and was serving fairly well. In the 3rd set however, his serve turned to shit as it usually does against better opponents; his losing the last 8 points of the match after going up 40-15 at 4-4 was kinda pathetic if expected. Classic Chokagassi Moment!

A loser is always a loser.

Billabong
03-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Congrats Fed:D!!! Now continue and win the tournament!!! GOOOOOOOOOO FED:D!!!

Chloe le Bopper
03-20-2004, 10:33 PM

Henin did not pull out of Miami. It was NEVER on her schedule to begin with.

Chloe le Bopper
03-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Again... Henin NEVER pulled out of Miami. It was simply never on her schedule. Ever. It was never in the works for Henin to play Miami this year. Camp Henin decided that was too much tennis going into the clay season.

That said, it is different. Henin isn't going to get a big fat zero on her ranking for not showing up, because the WTA has no rule regarding the big events.

Chloe le Bopper
03-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Actually the ATP has never come down on Agassi for regularly skipping Monte Carlo and Hamburg. Then again I remember when he played in Monte Carlo and got the crap beaten out of him by Costa, he was booed out of the stadium and deservedly so.

He hasn't been in Hamburg since 95, when he got thrashed by Bruguera 6-3, 6-1 and was given the treatment as well, then he came out and responded "What are you going to do stab me" , oh what a guy.
The ATP might not have come down on him, but he did get a couple of 0's on his ranking for it. Henin won't. That is why it's different.

vene
03-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Sure he does. He doesn't like France and its people. He doesn't like Germany and its people, save for one. He doesn't like clay and wants to save his energy generally by playing less, so skipping Europe-based tourneys is a perfect fit. He loves his America, the Key-Biscains and Liptons and Indiana Wellses and Houstons. Etc.

Just curious- how do you know he doesn't like the French, German's and clay? He begged a German to marry him, and he won RG

Fedex
03-21-2004, 02:10 AM
If Roger is to beat Tim, he will need to play better than today. I'm glad it kept me on the edge of my seat, and i was really pissed at the UE's. This wasnt a very high quality match like TMC Round Robin, but a lot of UE's and few winners. Roger had over 60 unforced errors in his RR at TMC vs. agassi, but he still had over 60 winners. His BH was way off today, he'll need to improve that. One thing Roger did do well in set 2 &3 is serve very well in key moments. He'll need to do this against Tim. He'll also need to be more aggressive and look to get in more to take the net away from Henman, S & V. I hope a tough match like this will somehow help Roger tomorrow.
Oh and 1 last thing. Does anyone know where you can get the: TMC Round Robin TMC Federer vs. Agassi match, for a good price. I LOVED that match. Should of been wise enough to record it myself though :)

Experimentee
03-21-2004, 02:38 AM
jackson, Agassi has no excuse for snubbing these TMS events in Hamburg and Monte Carlo. I never realised getting booed for not trying was an excuse not turning up to an event. There are many players who don't have a chance to win TMS events, but they still turn up and play.

Players should not be forced by the ATP or anyone to play events they dont like. The great thing about tennis is that players are allowed to make their own schedule. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many players who would turn up to every TMS event.

scoobydoo
03-21-2004, 02:45 AM
only one who can stop federer winning now is federer himself...sounds a cliche I know but true

LCeh
03-21-2004, 02:50 AM
Actually, even though I am not so sure this time, it had always been this way. He has always had the game to beat almost any player, and he used to make a lot of mistakes, which is what caused him a lot of losses. Roger himself knows that once he gets the rhythm, he is unstoppable. But the reason I don't quite agree this time, is because Tim has the game that can prevent Roger from getting into rhythm, which is why he wins.

To be honest, I think the reason Tim has had so much success against Federer IS because he does not allow him to get into rhythm. Agassi does that quite well too, but Roger was able to fight through it. With Tim's style, he hasn't been able to do so.

Let's hope he will be able to do that tomorrow and change things around.

heya
03-21-2004, 03:02 AM
It'd be disastrous for Henman to lose.
Henman didn't have a cake walk draw like Federer and Agassi had before the semis.

Ray
03-21-2004, 05:35 AM
It's a shame Agassi didn't win Federer :) because that would have been very good for Agassi :worship:

Watch out Henman here comes world number one, don't blink or you already lost ;)

Go Federer :D

Action Jackson
03-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Players should not be forced by the ATP or anyone to play events they dont like. The great thing about tennis is that players are allowed to make their own schedule. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many players who would turn up to every TMS event.

Actually you will find the majority of players barring injury that can get direct entry into TMS events will play in all 9 of them, these are the biggest tourneys outside the Slams, in most cases have the strongest fields and have the most points, so wouldn't it be logical that they turn up and play all or the majority of them, and not as many of the optional tournaments?

J. Corwin
03-21-2004, 07:32 AM
I think Tim has about a 50/50 chance in the finals.

WyveN
03-21-2004, 07:45 AM
I still feel the match is in Federer's hands, particular on this surface

Action Jackson
03-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Hopefully Federer can actually beat him legit this time. The good thing was he managed to grind out a win against Agassi when he wasn't at his best, Federer better make sure his backhand is firing against Timothy.

shaoyu
03-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Congrat to Rogi for overcoming his last nemisis!

yanchr
03-21-2004, 10:28 PM
I think the question should be changed to: will anyone stop Federer from winning the tournaments he takes part in? Sorry if I am being arrogant, but it really felt like so for me.:)

WyveN
03-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Well on fast surfaces I will be confident of a Federer victory no matter who he plays. Seems like only he can beat himself.

Still has to prove himself on clay.

faboozadoo15
03-21-2004, 10:37 PM
i agree... from the looks of it, roger either needs to be sub par or someone will have to play the match of their life to beat him. of course roger will have IMMENSE trouble keeping it up to such a high level all year, and with the change of surface to clay, it opens things up quite a bit more.

but i do think the grand slam look more promising this year than it maybe has in many years-- but let's wait until the french. that should be the toughest for him to win, and it's still far away.

as far as any tournaments to lose in-- he WILL lose in some of those, im almost positive. situations similar to rotterdam will happen again to anyone. he played tim henman who was on, he wasn't not feeling 100%-- u just can't win a match like that against a good player.

sigmagirl91
03-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Yes, Roger has to almost be damn near sick as a dog in order to get beat-and even then, I doubt it...

WyveN
03-21-2004, 10:39 PM
A lead of over 1200 in the rankings!
If he improves in his clay season - the lead could skyrocket!

Dirk
03-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Roger didn't play Carlo last year so he could gain a lot of points playing there this year. Rome he made the final so he needs to win a lot of matches and defend them or hopefully win it. As long as he can reduce his points lost from it then its cool. Hamburg he made the rd of 16 so he can easily make them up and gain some. I hope Roger wins one clay master going into RG. That is all he is playing so he will lose his Munich points. He must make the qrts in Miami. I hope he can win that one too. His trainer will be there for that one. Roger has plenty of time to get ready for it. Enjoy your night with Mirka Roger. WWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA Roger can play Moby Dick now. :worship: :devil: :wavey:

J. Corwin
03-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Well turns out nobody was able to stop him.

Billabong
03-21-2004, 11:39 PM
YEAH Congrats Fed:D!!!

Leo
03-22-2004, 12:27 AM
I honestly look forward to the clay court season and a brief respite from Roger's dominance - hopefully. :o

Sjengster
03-22-2004, 01:02 AM
I suspect you're going to get a respite sooner than that, like at Miami for instance - Federer doesn't have Hewitt-like consistency. It may seem like he's dominating hugely now, but Agassi did exactly the same thing in 2001 winning the AO and IW back to back and he followed it up with Miami. Although I would expect him to post a decent showing, maybe not a win, in at least one of the claycourt TMSes so be prepared for that. RG, on the other hand, is still a different scenario altogether...

tangerine_dream
03-22-2004, 01:19 AM
I honestly look forward to the clay court season and a brief respite from Roger's dominance - hopefully. :o

:lol:

Shy
03-22-2004, 02:06 AM
Well,Roger can win a few on clay too,maybe not RG,but we all know that he can win a TMS on clay or at least do well . Would it be funny if he win RG out of nowhere?

LCeh
03-22-2004, 02:11 AM
Would it be funny if he win RG out of nowhere?

I doubt it would be funny to most people... ;)

WyveN
03-22-2004, 06:59 AM
I suspect you're going to get a respite sooner than that, like at Miami for instance - Federer doesn't have Hewitt-like consistency.

Incredible that your comparing him to Hewitt of all people. Hewitt who even as #1 was susseptible to be beaten by MANY players.

It may seem like he's dominating hugely now, but Agassi did exactly the same thing in 2001 winning the AO and IW back to back and he followed it up with Miami.

Of course Andre didn't win the 2000 TMC and Andre is expected to dominate at the beginning of the year as it is by far his favourite surface. The same cannot be said about Roger.

WyveN
03-22-2004, 07:01 AM
As for Roger being weak on clay - don't forget that the new Federer arrived after the clay season last year so we have no idea how the new Federer will play on clay.

I say he is favourite head to head on clay against everyone except Ferrero & Coria.

shaoyu
03-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Q. Have you tested all the limits of your game yet or do you still feel like there's a lot of progress for you to make?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think what I would really like to improve is my serve-and-volley game, but it's just very difficult these days with the conditions, you know, slow, the players, they return so well. Not only do they return well, but they're good also off the second shot, the passing shot.
But the important thing is that I serve and volley well at Wimbledon, and that is most important, because without serve and volleying I think there it will be difficult for me to win. So right now I'm playing a lot from the baseline. That's something to get easier points and quicker points which might save you energy not only for the rest of the season, rest of the match, but also for the rest of your career.

Watch out Roger is planning for long long domination and I am sure he will try to break Sampras's record ...

rogicomel
03-22-2004, 08:03 AM
As for Roger being weak on clay - don't forget that the new Federer arrived after the clay season last year so we have no idea how the new Federer will play on clay.

I say he is favourite head to head on clay against everyone except Ferrero & Coria.

I'm not sure abt Coria but Rogi beat JCF in their only meeting on clay.

Dirk
03-22-2004, 08:08 AM
If Roger beats a healthy JC on clay (which I hope they do meet in the masters this year) then he can beat Coria.

faboozadoo15
03-22-2004, 09:21 PM
I doubt it would be funny to most people... ;)
and i wouldn't exactly call it "our of nowhere" either. i'd have him in AT LEAST the top 3 to win the title-- maybe the favorite.