When did the abuse of "medical timeouts" get so bad? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When did the abuse of "medical timeouts" get so bad?

r2473
01-16-2007, 03:45 PM
I think it's a shame that players can abuse the rule when they are simply feeling fatigued because of the hot sun (or lack of fitness). I think it is even worse to hear commentators proclaim how smart players are for taking advantage of the rule to get rest.

It is an embarressment to the sport. Can you imaging a soccer match or American football being halted because a player claimed they were tired or cramping?

What's next?? A "skills deficient" timeout (Umpire, I need a timeout becase my opponent is killing me and is just plain better. I'll be back in a few months to complete the match)!!

Clara Bow
01-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Can you imaging a soccer match or American football being halted because a player claimed they were tired or cramping?

While I do agree that medical time outs have been abused by a number of players...an individual sport is different than a team sport. In team sports- you can have substitutions to let a player rest. You see that all the time in basketball and you frequently see it with running backs in American football. In some sports the tired player can come back in a game, in others they are out for good while another player continues in the same position.

r2473
01-16-2007, 03:56 PM
While I do agree that medical time outs have been abused by a number of players...an individual sport is different than a team sport. In team sports- you can have substitutions to let a player rest. You see that all the time in basketball and you frequently see it with running backs in American football. In some sports the tired player can come back in a game, in others they are out for good while another player continues in the same position.

Good point. Substitute boxing or wrestling in for soccer and football.

R.Federer
01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
This has been discussed quite extensively on the forum, and someone can bump up the original thread (or make a "Search" on it).

r2473
01-16-2007, 04:17 PM
This has been discussed quite extensively on the forum, and someone can bump up the original thread (or make a "Search" on it).

Sorry. Moderators delete. I will do a search.

Or Levy
01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
But is it a fitness thing? You can't get 'fitter' to fight a heat stroke, Sharapova (I assume that's who you are talking about) is fair skinned, of russian descent and would get all red much faster, doesn't it count as injury?

bigbhoy
01-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Personally I agree with players needing some sort of rest during matches.

For instance in Football (Soccer), they play 45mins. Take a rest for 15mins. Then finish the final 45.

Compare that to tennis, where players can be playing 2/3hr+ matches every couple of days in tournaments.

Maybe they should do it for the 3 setter tournies. After set 2 has finished. The players get 5/10 extra additional mins after a certain round. If it is forced to go to a 5th set, give them another 5 mins to rest before they get down to it.

Perhaps they should look to try it out for next years AO. Especially with the heat, so that would be the best place to trial it out. Another advantage of this is that rather than cancelling all the matches when it goes around 35 degrees. Which causes untold problems, especially now. Where players are playing at 1am & on to complete matches. So giving them more breaks throughout the matches, means the players can rest better without taxing themselves to the max in extreme conditions. Rather than being forced to go on all the way through for hours without much rest. Not to mention the paying public would probably prefer it. It's easier for them to sit there for a few mins waiting on the players to come back out on court. Rather than taking days off work or travelling far to get to wherever. Only to find play has been suspended for an untold amount of hours. Therefore there is nothing to watch & are forced to sit around waiting ages for play to be re-started.

The AO would be the perfect place to trial something like that out. After all in sports such as Football, Rugby, Basketball & so on. There is proper chance to get a rest throughout the match. Heck, I read in the paper a couple of weeks ago about a player from my favourite team wanting the winter break re-introduced to our league. This despite players on tens of thousands every week, playing usually 1 match per week. With 2 at most for any of the cup games than need playing.

Compare that to tennis players, especially the ones who constantly get to the later rounds in tournies.

For instance: Andy Murray in Cincy last year played 14 matches in 17 days, said he was only about 50 percent going into his match with Roddick.

“I wasn't going into the match expecting to win tonight,” said Murray, who had the same sentiments before his match earlier this week against World No.1 Roger Federer, whom he defeated. “I considered pulling out when I woke up this morning and about a half an hour before I went on, but I felt like I had one hour where I could compete with him.”

Introducing small breaks in between sets would get my vote. Not only would the players get less tired during the matches, but it'd be beneficial to the fans as they'd get to see better tennis being played.

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-16-2007, 04:33 PM
It is an embarressment to the sport. Can you imaging a soccer match or American football being halted because a player claimed they were tired or cramping?

You clearly don't watch soccer, because that has happened many times. And players rolling around faking injury is extremely common, too. Its not just a tennis problem.

CmonAussie
01-16-2007, 04:37 PM
*Though I like Marat Safin I thought his timeout during the 3rd set of the 2005 AO Open final against Lleyton Hewitt was terrible sportsmanship on Marat`s part^><^..

Hewitt was leading the final 6-1 3-6 4-1... then Safin decided it would be nice to have 5-minutes break to collect his thoughts [absolutely no sign of injury]. History would show that Marat was very smart by doing this [doesn`t make it `right` however] & the momentum was all his thereafter!

r2473
01-16-2007, 04:59 PM
You clearly don't watch soccer, because that has happened many times. And players rolling around faking injury is extremely common, too. Its not just a tennis problem.

Good point. It happens in American footall, basketball, etc. too.

I think boxing would be a better comparison. Strict 1 minute between rounds (of course boxing has its own problems).

tangerine_dream
01-16-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm looking to see if the abuse of bathroom breaks has been curtailed. For the past two years both guys and gals were suddenly having to run to the toilet in the middle of matches.

Never mind the that most of the liquid they drink is released through their constant sweating and not urine. ;)

alfonsojose
01-16-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm looking to see if the abuse of bathroom breaks has been curtailed. For the past two years both guys and gals were suddenly having to run to the toilet in the middle of matches.

Never mind the that most of the liquid they drink is released through their constant sweating and not urine. ;)

It ins't funny to play with a huge piece of ... hitting your anus everytime you bend for a backhand :p

nobama
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Never mind the that most of the liquid they drink is released through their constant sweating and not urine. ;)Sharapova took a break yesterday (they said it was close to 15 mins). Why couldn't they have closed the roof during her break? What's this nonsense with 'well if you're already out there you have to play as is, but no new matches will be scheduled or if they are the roof will be closed. :confused:

Clara Bow
01-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Sharapova took a break yesterday (they said it was close to 15 mins). Why couldn't they have closed the roof during her break? What's this nonsense with 'well if you're already out there you have to play as is, but no new matches will be scheduled or if they are the roof will be closed. :confused:

I wonder if they don't close mid-match because it can really change the conditions of the match. A closed roof could alter serve speed, etc.

They have the same policy in some other sports. For example, in baseball, they don't close the roof at Minute Maid Park in Houston mid-game for heat because it can alter the feel of the field.