Hewitt beats Russel in 5 sets (3-6,2-6,6-3,6-3,6-3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt beats Russel in 5 sets (3-6,2-6,6-3,6-3,6-3)

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Good comeback Rocky

:worship:

bad gambler
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
good workout for Rusty

Respect for Russell

refero*fervens
Llikes his comebacks, does Hewitt. Pity about that second set, could have been more symmetrical.

Byrd
Wow just wow, just when he looks down and out especially a break down in the 3rd, he plays like a warrior and grinds it out, proved me wrong, and deserves credit.

Conita
01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
COME ON LLEYTON!!
:bigclap: :bigclap: :dance: :bigclap: :bigclap:

hope he starts shouting a bit more xD

virex
01-16-2007, 02:06 PM
damn it! i was hoping russel could win, but i knew, even two sets down, hewitt would win.

russel always comes short in the big matches of his life. against guga in RG, and now....

RonE
01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
:eek:

C'mon! :yeah:

jes_021
01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Please Lleyton, next round in 3 sets please.
My heart can't take too much of this :lol:

Andre♥
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
That's why american tennis is in crises. Their players have a horrible psysical shape and they have mental blockages. That net shot that gives Hewitt the brake point is almost impossible to fail!

betterthanhenman
01-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Never understood why people don't like Hewitt....

The heart and desire he shows in court is just amazing. Great win!

charlie666
01-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Great win from Hewitt, especially with all those difficulties he's had in the last few weeks. This should boost his confidance.

MilMilCho
01-16-2007, 02:12 PM
What a comeback, I mean, Russel really played very well.
When I saw Hewitt down one break in 3rd set, probably no hope there.
But still there were some great shots, Hewitt just fought back,
its certainly a great fight from Hewitt, it was really nice to see that.:cool:

t0x
01-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Can't say I enjoy the way Hewitt plays, but he deserves credit for the heart he gave that match. I honestly thought he was out of it.

madmanfool
01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
you can say what you want, but that's a great comeback from Hewitt.

Hagar
01-16-2007, 02:15 PM
As soon as I saw that Russell was his opponent, I just knew it would be that kind of match.
It's great to see how Lleyton never gives up and gives the best of himself. What a difference with headcase Malisse who I feel is going to lose against Clément, and only for one reason: his BAD attitude.

jes_021
01-16-2007, 02:21 PM
As soon as I saw that Russell was his opponent, I just knew it would be that kind of match.

Could you have given me some warning then :lol:
I would have only watched the last game in that case instead of the whole thing :p

Neely
01-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Holy shit, great recovery Lleyton!!! :yeah: :worship:
I didn't think he might pull it out because I was uncertain about his status and the things which surrouned him before the tournament, but great to see he was playing okay and fought to wear down Russell whose conditioning went away, also because Hewitt took over.

After six years ago vs Guga, Russell came somewhat close to beat a player of notice in a Grand Slam again. But today he was still a lot of further away than at Roland Garros.

Ernham
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Russel looks like Richard Simons on steroids. Playin' tennis to the oldies!

Anyway, that was a weird match. It seemed like the spirit of a lost puppy dog was possessing each player randomly, as if playing musical chairs.

Norrage
01-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Great effort by Hewitt...Hope this is the match rhythm he needed..Dancevic is doable en then he has the hardest draw possible...I hope he can get through :)

He certainly played pretty well in the last 2 sets...and his serve was working!

Shabazza
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Hewitt and his comback wins. Great effort. :cool:
So many comebacks today, quite impressive.

lunahielo
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Good for you, Lleyton!
Keep up the good work! :bounce:

Socket
01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Russel looks like Richard Simons on steroids. Playin' tennis to the oldies!

Anyway, that was a weird match. It seemed like the spirit of a lost puppy dog was possessing each player randomly, as if playing musical chairs.

:haha: :haha:

Australian Open Radio commentators were suggesting Art Garfunkel as Russell's role model. :lol:

Great job, Lleyton! :bounce: :bounce:

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Gotta love Lleyton.....even if its for his heart alone...

Agassi Aces
01-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Typical Hewitt, he found a way through!!!!!!!

jazar
01-16-2007, 03:39 PM
it seems russell like ging 2 sets up against top players at slams and then losing in 5

Ernham
01-16-2007, 03:45 PM
That's why american tennis is in crises. Their players have a horrible psysical shape and they have mental blockages. That net shot that gives Hewitt the brake point is almost impossible to fail!

It's funny you say this in a much with an Australian player. :devil: Talk about a crises. Only way this could be more funny is if you were from England.

Liverpool4ever
01-16-2007, 04:00 PM
There is no such thing as English tennis just British tennis and we have one of the best youngsters in the world and things are on the up. Of course if Murray was English then the media would once again reinstate English tennis, but for now it's just British tennis.

Horatio Caine
01-16-2007, 04:08 PM
One of the most truly inspirational players out there :worship:

jole
01-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Hmm, one hell of a shame. Really the only reason Russell lost is because he does not consistently play top 20 players, and he's been beating people 6-1 6-1 lately, so having to play a long one like this is a polar opposite.

mickymouse
01-16-2007, 04:24 PM
How fit is Hewitt....seriously lacking in match play yet manages to grind it out in 5 sets.
Russell played like a better version of Hewitt in the first 2 sets before fatigue sets in.

BORO77
01-16-2007, 04:27 PM
What a shame:o I was so happy when i saw that Hewitt was losing 0:2 and
he turns things around.FXCK:mad:

tennisgal_001
01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Just when you think he's out, think again. A great display of gut, fitness, determination and skill from Lleyton. Devastating for Russell though. I thought he'd pull it off...

GlennMirnyi
01-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Never understood why people don't like Hewitt....

The heart and desire he shows in court is just amazing. Great win!

Maybe because his attitude on court sucks and his game is far from interesting?

There is no such thing as English tennis just British tennis and we have one of the best youngsters in the world and things are on the up. Of course if Murray was English then the media would once again reinstate English tennis, but for now it's just British tennis.

:haha:

Out of nowhere now you guys are "brits"... :lol:

vamosnadal
01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Great determination from Hewitt as usual, but he also showed some shocking tennis in the first two sets. I'm a very nervous Lleyton fan going into the second round.

james_olympicman
01-16-2007, 05:07 PM
When Henman was successful, it wasn't English but British. People weren't waving English flags but UK flags. It is only a bit different now cause Murray goes on about how he is Scottish, though apparently he is stopping that now cause it is annoying. Anyway, is not just Scotland cause I'm sure it was largely English money that paid for him to go to Barcelona and have Brad Gilbert as his coach!

tangerine_dream
01-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Oof! What a comeback by Hewitt. :yeah:

SwissMister1
01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Russell looked great in the first couple of sets, good quality tennis. Unfortunately missed most of Lleyton's comeback due to the stream ending so don't know how most of the comeback happened.

Burrow
01-16-2007, 06:26 PM
damn michael!

Raquel
01-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Excellent comeback Lleyton :worship:

Would have been so disappointing if he had gone out today in 1R. He turned it round really well and fought typically hard :)

ufokart
01-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Russell :o

Allez
01-16-2007, 06:39 PM
OMG! He came back :yippee:

Socket
01-16-2007, 07:00 PM
100% mental victory from Lleyton, showing what separates the slam champs from the journeymen. Lleyton figured out how to turn the match around, and Russell couldn't figure out how not to let it slip through his fingers. You can't coach that; the player either has it in him from the start or not.

cris1085
01-16-2007, 07:14 PM
My best compliments to Lleyton. His victory was amazing and he should be also in good shape to last for the entire match. Go Lley, but next match please win in 3 sets.

Seneca
01-16-2007, 07:54 PM
No cobras or lawnmovers in this match, I want the old hateable Lleyton back :o

R.Federer
01-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Fantastic comeback!!!!
But to be down two sets to love against Russell probably isn't good to start with.

He needs matchplay pretty badly. He'll get tougher if he can get further.

Billabong
01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Lley:yeah:

musefanatic
01-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Wow Lleyton :eek: Glad he came through that though :) Well done and seems like Russel put up a good fight :)

HamburgGirl
01-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Great fight by Lleyton! Congrats! :yeah: :)

Snowwy
01-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Great win by Llyeton.

Hopefully Dancevic doesn't make the same mistake that Russell made.

I will be cheering for Hewitt if he ends up beating Dancevic but hopefully that doesn't happen :)

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 05:17 AM
COME ON !!!!
Lleyton showed what true fighter is made from. He was 2-0 in sets break downand did what he had done so many times in past raised his level, played with more anger with more fire. If anyone has doubts who has the best mentality he showed the answer. Russel played great but it was another the dash, determination. Hewitt showed what he is made from.
Never to surrender never to gave away single point.

Dancevic could be hard, I've seen him at Quenns played decent tennis, but Lleyotn will be of fire I hope for straight sets vicotry. I want Hewitt/Gonzalez showdown in 3rd round

3rd is gonna be huge this year : Safin - Roddick, Federer-Youzhny, Baghdatis - Gasquet, Blake - Ginepri, Hewitt - Gonzalez, WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: of course if all this guys make it:angel:

oz_boz
01-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Good comeback, but the first two sets :o Hewitt has a LONG way back to the top and I don't think he'll make it this time.

Russell looked like John Cage in Ally McBeal. :lol:

tangerine_dream
01-17-2007, 06:55 PM
FYI: Bodo hates Hewitt :o

Pam (Boston, MA): Hewitt almost lost in the 1st round the other day. Do you agree with me that he probably won't get past Dancevic, Gonzalez, and later Nadal and Blake?

Peter Bodo: (1:30 PM ET ) I don't know about Gonzalez because Gonzo is a wild card who is always capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. But you are right when it comes to the big dogs. I don;t think Hewitt has been the same since he got married and that trademarks intesity is no longer carrying him through tough moments. I think the guy is semi-burned out, which in a crazy way is a tribute to how focused and all giving he was earlier in his career. he reminds me in someways of the typical NFL Runningback, who puts up a couple of great years and than becomes average. They just become to beat of to perform at the highest level over an extended period.

edit
And so does Werthiem most of the time...

I see that Lleyton Hewitt came back from two sets down yet again! I did some searching, but I couldn't find the stats. It seems to me he has come back from two sets down, or two to one, an inordinate number of times. Anyone got the numbers? And what's his overall five-set record? You just can't question the guy's heart, but it still a bit difficult to root for a man who makes Donald Trump look like a class act. -- Gavin Spencer, New York City

Writes the ATP's Greg Sharko the Great: "Hewitt is now 22-9 career in five-set matches and has now won 11 of his last 12 five-setters since his comeback win (from 0-2) vs. Federer in the '03 Davis Cup semifinals. It was the third time he rallied from an 0-2 sets deficit. The other one was '01 Roland Garros (d. Guillermo Canas)."

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 07:01 PM
FYI: Bodo hates Hewitt :o

This guy is not normal

Hewitt had bad year because of injuries and missing more of season and still was in Top20.

- he is one of the best Slams competitors in this era
- looked how hard match he gave Nadal at FO
- and he was fired yesterday and where couple of Come ones
- I think Hewitt can even make QF here because Blake is his whipping boy and Gonzo style of play will be comfortable for Lleyton

I want Lleyton - Rafa QF showdown :worship: :worship:

Socket
01-17-2007, 08:47 PM
You ever read Bodo's blog? That guy is freakishly in love with his kid. It is creepy to read his gushing. He even talked once about the kid's boogers. It made you want to call child protective services. :eek: