What do you think of Nadal's new service motion? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What do you think of Nadal's new service motion?

Polikarpov
01-16-2007, 11:47 AM
I think it looks a lot smoother.:)

But in some second serves, I noticed that he reverts to his original one.

Clara Bow
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
His first serve motion is smoother and quicker. I think it is giving his first serve more pop and has been a good adjustment and shows that he actually has been working on his serve.

adee-gee
01-16-2007, 01:53 PM
It's got a few subtle improvements, seems to be getting a bit more pace and kick on it. I think his first serve % has suffered though, he used to constantly be around high 60s/early 70s but I've seen 50%ish in a lot of his matches recently. Today was 61% which is decent I guess.

Clara Bow
01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I think his first serve % has suffered though, he used to constantly be around high 60s/early 70s but I've seen 50%ish in a lot of his matches recently. Today was 61% which is decent I guess

I think part of that could be that in addition to adjusting his motion- which could cause a lower percentage, he is also going for a bit more and not just rolling it in, which could cause more misses.

Vin Judah
01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Anyone have video of it?

adee-gee
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
I think part of that could be that in addition to adjusting his motion- which could cause a lower percentage, he is also going for a bit more and not just rolling it in, which could cause more misses.
Agreed, but the more he gets comfortable the better it should be. I mean, it's not like he's putting absolutely everything into it, I still think he could hit it a lot harder if he wanted to, but he likes using it to set the point up, and you can't really argue with 0 break points conceded :)

alfonsojose
01-16-2007, 02:09 PM
:tennis:

Green_Eyes
01-16-2007, 02:42 PM
I personally couldn't notice a difference from a quick observation of a few of his serves in the action :shrug:

Voo de Mar
01-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I dislike his new motion. In my view is unnatural for him.

Fumus
01-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Stole it from Fed.

GlennMirnyi
01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
It's the same old crappy move, no big deal.

Fedex
01-17-2007, 12:40 AM
I've noticed some adjustments in his service motion too. Its a little bit smoother and more compact, and he is getting more pop on his serve.

cmurray
01-17-2007, 12:43 AM
It's the same old crappy move, no big deal.

:lol:

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 12:54 AM
:lol:

Some people are soooo predictable...
I wonder when my own Personal Troll will appear again, I gather I won't have to wait very long! ;)

scoobs
01-17-2007, 12:58 AM
He hasn't serviced me yet so I'm not sure about his motion :devil:

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 01:01 AM

:lol: Good one!

cmurray
01-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Some people are soooo predictable...
I wonder when my own Personal Troll will appear again, I gather I won't have to wait very long! ;)

Glenn loves me, don't you Glenn? :hug:

Kalliopeia
01-17-2007, 02:32 AM

:rolls:

Excellent. :D

JustmeUK
01-18-2007, 01:00 PM
on a more serious note.. it seems to be a change in the way the arms are moving into the toss. seems to me like he's getting a little more arch of the back going as well though I haven't pulled out old captures to really compare it.

what isn't clear to me (and bear in mind I'm going only on the match vs Kohli having not watched/recorded the one against Kendricke) is that he's getting any more power. Kohli is serving in the 200+ on first serves down the T. Rafa is getting close to 180. That would seem slower than before. maybe he's just tired. bottom line? so far I don't see it as improved markedly as a weapon.

LK_22
01-18-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't think it's a drastic change to be honest. If he hadn't mentioned it I doubt people would be mentioning any improvements on the serve

Clara Bow
01-18-2007, 01:41 PM
I don't think it's a drastic change to be honest. If he hadn't mentioned it I doubt people would be mentioning any improvements on the serve

During the coverage of his first match on ESPN PMac noticed it without Rafa mentioning first. :)

Andre♥
01-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I can't see any difference. But I think his serve changed. He is doing a bunch of double faults now.

LK_22
01-18-2007, 02:02 PM
During the coverage of his first match on ESPN PMac noticed it without Rafa mentioning first. :)

Pmac? Say no more.....

mallorn
01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't know what some people expected, that he'd switch to serving with his right hand or something? :scratch:

It does look different. His feet are further apart, he seems to bend his knees more, and the toss is higher.

I remember reading (but cannot find the interview now) that he's concentrating on placement more than power. Of course he can hit it over 200km/h.

Here are two pictures, sorry I couldn't find the same angle.

The old one (IW 2006):
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1540/nadalyoushnyiwdoubles31hi7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The new one (AO 2007):
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/171/xmb10801120251ut8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Finally, Rafa said (in an interview translated by nou.amic for vb.com):
I've been working on changing my serve since after the US Open. And to tell the truth, I'm feeling more comfortable. My arm is more relaxed at the beginning and I don't raise my elbow as much as I did, the action is a little bit longer and my legs are further apart. I feel that I connect much more easily with the ball.

:lol: :lol:

FluffyYellowBall
01-18-2007, 02:46 PM

Actually i rlly noticed a big change. He says he changed his forehand grip and his attacking but i cant believe some ppl didnt notice a change in his serve!
The arm motion is very noticable and u can also see how he does that little swing (like ljubicic and ancic before they serve.) Not to the same extent as ljubo and ancic but its definately made a difference. By wimbledon 06 his serve speed had gone up by 10% of what it was since RG and before..

Mateya
01-18-2007, 03:52 PM
I have noticed it immediately :eek: It looks a bit strange, but probably because I got used to the previous one so much.
I dont know, there isnt a lot of "pop" and he served 3 or 4 doubles in third set today. I would love to see him hit 200km/h down the midlle. :rolleyes: He sure has got the muscles for it...

JustmeUK
01-18-2007, 04:52 PM
well I noticed the change in the way the arms move prior to getting into position at the top. I'm not convinced it's any better judging by the speeds he's getting. as for going for position over speed sure that's fine as long as you're into the 190+ territory. a 180+ serve down the T is not really going to make service holds easier.

Jimnik
01-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I think he's getting a little more pace, sacrificing a bit of kick, but it hasn't been a big improvement. He'll need to add another 10k if he wants to prevent the likes of Blake and Berdych from attacking it.

scoobs
01-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Doesn't seem to have improved in terms of consistency either, and yet to really show it can hurt opponents more - Kohlschreiber was returning it very well last night.

FluffyYellowBall
01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Doesn't seem to have improved in terms of consistency either, and yet to really show it can hurt opponents more - Kohlschreiber was returning it very well last night.

Actually he was more consistent with his older serve but it wasnt as effective. I like the motion:D Its like a dance move:devil:

LK_22
01-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I think he's getting a little more pace, sacrificing a bit of kick, but it hasn't been a big improvement. He'll need to add another 10k if he wants to prevent the likes of Blake and Berdych from attacking it.

Agree, I know he has made changes but I don' think it's a big improvement from his older serve, he's not rolling it in as much but his first serve % is down.
In comparision, I think Murray's serve has improved from last year but nobody has mentioned that

almouchie
01-19-2007, 12:22 PM
its definitely improving
he doesnt have the variety on his serve just yet

but he is showing he is improving all the aspects of his game

oz_boz
01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
It's got a few subtle improvements, seems to be getting a bit more pace and kick on it. I think his first serve % has suffered though, he used to constantly be around high 60s/early 70s but I've seen 50%ish in a lot of his matches recently. Today was 61% which is decent I guess.

I expected that after his match against Kohli. I wonder if he really wins so much on increasing the pace, less free points but on the other hand how many guys can really outrally him? Maybe this serve will help him get the better of Berdych or Blake, but we'll see.