Murray d Martin 6-0 6-0 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray d Martin 6-0 6-0 6-1

Vin Judah
01-16-2007, 09:33 AM
WOW is all i can say!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have never heard that there would have ever been a triple bagel...

Murray couldnt have come any closer really, 60, 60, 50... :D

bad gambler
01-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I think at the net exchange Murray said "Great match mate, you were unlucky"

Somone clearly forgot to tell Martin that play wasn't suspended for the day

ginnylegend
Let him off the hook there. Bad boy Andy.

jtipson
Why did he ease up in game 6 of the third set? It's not often you get a chance to do a triple-bagel....not nice to "give" your opponent a token game. Grrr.

A_Skywalker
01-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah , but Martin played on level 12 y old , I think he was ill or having problems with something

Louche
01-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Why did he lose that one game? He and Gilbert have work to do.

oz_boz
01-16-2007, 09:36 AM

:lol:

Why did he let Martin get the game at 6-0 6-0 5-0? Totally unnecessary.

scoobs
01-16-2007, 09:36 AM
For one game he played the score and not the points.

Shame he couldn't keep it symmetrical but even so - he saw Djokovic's score against Massu and said "I gotta get me one of those"

Absolutely squashed. Can't ask for a better start.

ViennaCalling
01-16-2007, 09:37 AM
The last "white wash" (6-0, 6-0, 6-0) was according to the german commentator 1935 - also in Melbourne ;)

Avid Merrion
01-16-2007, 09:37 AM
:worship: great job Andy! :yeah:
shame you had to let him get a game at the end though.... :devil:
good luck in round 2! :D

scoobs
01-16-2007, 09:38 AM
He didn't let it go - I think he just focused on the score for one game and got anxious about getting it done to love. Shame.

SwissMister1
Was hoping he'd get the "hooker from Total Recall" scoreline, ah well

betterthanhenman
Disgraceful from Martin.

jtipson
The last "white wash" (6-0, 6-0, 6-0) was according to the german commentator 1935 - also in Melbourne ;)

I seem to recall Stefan Edberg beating Stefan Eriksson in 1st rnd Wimbledon 1987 in a triple bagel. Even he was tempted to gift a game in the third set, but he didn't.

oz_boz
01-16-2007, 09:39 AM
WOW is all i can say!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have never heard that there would have ever been a triple bagel...

Murray couldnt have come any closer really, 60, 60, 50... :D

German commentator was wrong then ;) Edberg d Eriksson at Wimbly 87, Lendl d Moir at USO 87 and Bruguera d Champion at RG 93.

bad gambler
01-16-2007, 09:40 AM

Fred Perry's legend is alive and strong

jitterbug
01-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Awesome stuff. He and Djoko are doing some serious trampling.

scoobs
01-16-2007, 09:42 AM

I think they spur each other on with things like this.

Djoko dropped 2 games so Andy responds by dropping the 1.

stebs
01-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah , but Martin played on level 12 y old , I think he was ill or having problems with something

He played a terrible match but he wasn't ill or inured.

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 09:46 AM

Somone clearly forgot to tell Martin that play wasn't suspended for the day

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

uglyamerican
01-16-2007, 09:48 AM

He also bested him in fewest points allowed (Massu won 44 points, Martin won 33), and minutes on court (Novak-81, Murray-70).:p

Nole must respond.

They have been constantly leaping over each other in the rankings for the past 9 months.

Komodo
01-16-2007, 09:50 AM
To the austrian guy:
The german commentator wasn't wrong, you just didn't listen carefully enough. What he in fact said, was that the last triple bagle in Melbourne was handed out in 1936, by Fred Perry. He said "by Fred Perry, Murray's fellow countryman" though; now that is really just plain wrong! :)

jtipson
01-16-2007, 09:52 AM
To the austrian guy:
The german commentator wasn't wrong, you just didn't listen carefully enough. What he in fact said, was that the last triple bagle in Melbourne was handed out in 1936, by Fred Perry. He said "by Fred Perry, Murray's fellow countryman" though; now that is really just plain wrong! :)

Er, nope, both British, what is wrong with that?

Apemant
01-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Ewww what a beatdown.

LilyRoseAva

Djokovic def Massu 6/1 6/1 6/0 in 81 min
Baghdatis def Schuettler 6/4 2/6 6/3 6/2 in 143 min
Monfils def Bracialli 7/6 6/7 6/4 7/5 in 208 minutes
Gasquet def Volandri 6/4 6/4 6/2 in 116 min
Berdych def Lee 6/1 6/2 6/2 in 90 min
murray def martin 6/0 6/0 6/1 in 70 min
nadal bat kendrisk 7/6 6/3 6/2 in 127 min

best new balls for the first round : murray, djokovic, berdych

uglyamerican
There was a triple bagel in the final round of Wimby qualifying in 2001.

Woodbridge def. Ortegren 6-0, 6-0, 6-0

Ortegren beat Andy Ram in the previous round.

uglyamerican
01-16-2007, 09:55 AM
He said "by Fred Perry, Murray's fellow countryman" though; now that is really just plain wrong! :)

Vote SNP!

scoobs
01-16-2007, 09:56 AM
The contrast to last year, when Murray, Monfils, Gasquet and Djokovic all lost first round, could not be more glaring.

Komodo
01-16-2007, 10:03 AM
It is wrong, because Murray feels Scottish, and has clearly stated that he doesn't really like England and is against them every time they play football etcetera.
I can understand that the starved english fans would rather not think about that too much in order to be able to maintain the possibility to cheer for "their" new tennis hero. :wavey:

On the match: Wow, that really was some impressive stuff. Sure enough it was against an opponent who was just making UE after UE, but it still was a really nice display of skill.
I think Murray will be in the top 5 rather sooner than later!

scoobs
01-16-2007, 10:06 AM
It is wrong, because Murray feels Scottish, and has clearly stated that he doesn't really like England and is against them every time they play football etcetera.

Can you provide a source to that quote?

uglyamerican
01-16-2007, 10:08 AM
He said "by Fred Perry, Murray's fellow countryman" though; now that is really just plain wrong! :)

This is misleading as the tournament has been held in other cities. The last triple-bagel at the Australian Open was in 1966.

Morgan Z
01-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Now just where are those Murray haters? ;)

Awesome stuff from Muzzah. :D

t0x
01-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Terrible from match from Martin. Murray was playing very well, and is a pretty bad match-up for Martin, but Martin made sooo many crappy mistakes.

reece
01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Can you provide a source to that quote?

http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=953482006

Naranoc
01-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Awesome stuff! :yeah:
Still, I left at 6-0 6-0 3-0, and was hoping for a triple bagel :( Ah well, this'll do :D

Komodo
01-16-2007, 10:18 AM
ScoobsUK, here you go mate, it's what I could find on a quick google search:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/newscomment.html?in_page_id=1787&in_article_id=389385

http://www.toque.co.uk/blog/archives/2006/06/andy_murray_blo.php

Those are pretty bad links, but I think the point comes across, and it's all over the web anyway if it doesn't convince you. :)

vincayou
01-16-2007, 10:20 AM
:eek: wow, impressive stuff.

The contrast to last year, when Murray, Monfils, Gasquet and Djokovic all lost first round, could not be more glaring.

Exactly my thought, I remember all the headlines from last year "youngsters not up to the task" and so on.
Berdych lost quite early as well last year against Simon (who is quite young as well).

Wawrinka won his first round as well.

scoobs
01-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh I see. A couple of newspaper articles.

Goes to show the retraction never catches up to the original story.

Murray has since said that those remarks were meant in jest and he realises he has to be careful because the media will whip up anything into a story.

And even if he wasn't supporting the England football team, that's a long stretch to "I don't like England"

He's quite happy to drape himself in the British flag and on that basis I support him as a fellow Brit.

I'd support him anyway because I like his style of play and his variety but I think it's a shame Murray's been stuck with this label.

rosamunda
01-16-2007, 10:27 AM
I have to admit that Murray isn't my favourite player on the planet, but he did a most impressive job there. My only proviso about that devastation of a result is that I think almost anyone would have bagelled and breadsticked Martin the way he was playing. Absolutely terrible.

Komodo
01-16-2007, 10:39 AM
ScoobsUk, he clearly said that he doesn't support England, like the Scot he is.
If he since has played down those remarks & tries to refrain from making similar ones, you can be sure it isn't because of his new found love for England, but because he has been advised that it doesn't help his case from a popularity and marketing point of view.

It is foolish to try and make him "your" guy from a nationalistic point of view when he clearly isn't & doesn't feel remotely like it.
Still, that has nothing to do with cheering for him, as tennis is more of an individual game, where nationality thankfully often is less important than the style of play & demeanor a player shows on the court.

But it really cracks me up how all these English guys blindly support Murray as their player when he doesn't even like what they cheer him for and try to enframe him in.

The Pro
01-16-2007, 10:42 AM
It's natural for scotsmen to be anti-English-football-team.

He'd hardly be scottish if he wanted them to win...:rolleyes:

scoobs
01-16-2007, 10:44 AM
First of all, don't confuse not supporting a football team with not liking the country itself. I have never seen or read Murray say "I don't like England" - football rivalry between our nations is intense and since Scotland rarely do well they enjoy seeing England lose too.

Second, I support Murray as a brit - let's get this clear. He has said he is British and he is Scottish. I am British and on that basis I support him as a brit.

I'm not trying to claim him as my own or any of that nonsense. The nationalistic aspect of tennis doesn't really excite me anyway but until I see Murray say "I am not British and I don't like England" I see no reason to not support him on the basis of his nationality.

I would support him anyway because I like his tennis and I'm not interested in his politics, but I get irritated the way people blithely say "Oh Murray doesn't like England" as though it's an indisputable fact.

uglyamerican
01-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I thought Murray was Irish.

Vin Judah
01-16-2007, 10:48 AM
hehe :D

User id 7816
01-16-2007, 10:50 AM
wow that was close. thank god Murray kept his cool after losing the 6th game and finished it off.

:p

Gulliver
01-16-2007, 10:59 AM

How about this for their private off court betting :cool:

Bet #2. Djokovic beats Federer, Murray beats Nadal.

Bet #3. Djokovic v Murray in the Final.

Anybody want to bet?

MariaV
01-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Bet #2. Dkokovic beats Federer, Murray beats Nadal.

Bet #3. Dkokovic v Murray in the Final.

Anybody want to bet?

:haha: I'd absolutely bet against it.

Neely
01-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Of course was Martin weak, but I think Murray again played tactically so wisely, very fluid, easy and overall just great. It is really incredible to see a young player like him who does not only need to use brute force first. His forehand looks really easy-going, still it can be dangerous.

I didn't see the last set (yet), but think it's nothing negative that Murray probably intentionally gave away this last game. Rather the opposite. Of course there is no obligation to that, but some player do it, some not, similiar things also happen in other sports sometimes.

And to summarize the discussion about the probable triple bagel:
- last player to triple bagel somebody at the Australian Open was Richard Russell from Jamaica, in 1966 (1st round)
- last player to do that with GBR behind his name as Murray was Fred Perry in quarter final in 1935

CooCooCachoo
01-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Martín is, together with Christophe Rochus, a tough contender for the Bagel Boy position in the Top 100. Rochus was prevailing, but Beto is fighting back.

Martín would have had a very tough time winning even a single round in qualifying, regardless of his draw.

MarcM
01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Grr i am a damn lightweight, stayed up all night watching the tennis and fell asleep just before this match :(
Plesant suprise to wake up to that scoreline though.

Anyone know if they'll be re-running it again on Eurosport today?

rosamunda
01-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Murray is British whether he likes it or not - and that's what'll be on his passport, not Scottish or Scots. In global international sports events, the 4 countries/provinces of the UK are lumped together as one nation. Only in stuff like The Commonwealth Games etc, is the whole country sub-divided into its component parts. It's on the statute books as a 'united kingdom' and that's all there is to it (at the moment - things might change, of course).

So he's a Brit to me and will remain so unless the political landscape in the UK changes or he decides to become a naturalised Frenchman or something.

I don't care if he's anti-English - a huge number of Scots are just that and it's embedded deep in the Scottish psyche - there's a lot of nasty 'history' there going back many centuries.

But then, tennis (apart from the Davis Cup) is a non-nationalistic sport, and we tend to support players irrespective of their nationalities (well, I do anyway). Now football is another matter entirely.....................:devil:

vincayou
01-16-2007, 11:44 AM

Bet #2. Djokovic beats Federer, Murray beats Nadal.

Bet #3. Djokovic v Murray in the Final.

Anybody want to bet?

Federer and Nadal remain very big favourites in their potential match up. Trashing an opponent is nice and a good sign but will be no help for the future matchs.

I especially think that Nadal is a very bad match up for Murray. Road is long before that match for both of them anyway.

Beat
01-16-2007, 11:57 AM
alberto, what was that?? :help:

uglyamerican
01-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Trashing an opponent is nice and a good sign but will be no help for the future matchs.

It's better than being on court for 4 hours.:p

chris whiteside
01-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Why do some have to keep introducing politics into it?

Murray is both British (thus a feelow countryman of Fred Perry) and Scottish.

Andy was the victim of malicious reporting. He was on British radio at the end of last year and explained in full how the reporter had worded his question as a joke to get a jokey response and then played on that.

I prefer to concentrate on his tennis which was a job well done today.

bigbhoy
01-16-2007, 12:19 PM
http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=953482006

That was when he tried to do that silly attempt at humour during a question about the world cup. It was a joke that was taken out of all context. Especially since he was actually joking about a game with Tim Henman.

Can't believe this shit is still being brought up again!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5128028.stm

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tennis/tm_objectid=17307387&method=full&siteid=66633-name_page.html (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tennis/tm_objectid=17307387&method=full&siteid=66633-name_page.html)

Goonergal
01-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Andy :eek: :)

Morgan Z
01-16-2007, 12:39 PM
I can understand that the starved english fans would rather not think about that too much in order to be able to maintain the possibility to cheer for "their" new tennis hero. :wavey:

Not at all! Those were jokes. Muzzah has said that he plays for British tennis. :worship: Fred Perry was British.....

"I'm playing for British tennis , and I hope that I can improve on how I did last year."

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2007-01-11/i.php

adee-gee
01-16-2007, 01:26 PM
What an absolutely abysmal display from Martin....for one that prides himself on his consistency from the back of the court, the number of unforced errors was ridiculous. His forehand was woeful, he could barely find the court.

Murray played ok but nothing special, he probably would've prefered more of a challenge.

adee-gee
01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
It's natural for scotsmen to be anti-English-football-team.

He'd hardly be scottish if he wanted them to win...:rolleyes:
*nods*

It's all banter anyway. It's like me, I despise the English football and rugby team and chuckle when they lose. But I don't hate English people, I live in London and have a lot of English friends :shrug:

Shrinking Violet
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
He looked a bit upset not to get the triple bagel. :lol: Shame - it would have been nice for him. He killed Di Mauro for the loss of two games at the USO so I think he'll get another chance to get it.

It was a very professional job against a guy who was pathetic on the day. When Martin did hit decent shots, Andy was there to get them back and Martin just couldn't respond at all.

It'll be much harder against Verdasco.

Nice to see all the young guns ease through the first round though.

Voo de Mar
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Previous time the same score in Melbourne was in 2000 when Hewitt defeated Corretja in the second round. Spaniard held serve for the first and last time in match at 0-6 0-6 0-4 :D The Spanish tradition ;)

jazar
01-16-2007, 02:22 PM
thats just a thrashing. but did anyone seriously expect martin to do anyting?

decrepitude
01-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Why do some have to keep introducing politics into it?

Murray is both British (thus a feelow countryman of Fred Perry) and Scottish.

Andy was the victim of malicious reporting. He was on British radio at the end of last year and explained in full how the reporter had worded his question as a joke to get a jokey response and then played on that.

I prefer to concentrate on his tennis which was a job well done today.

Exactly. I can't believe people are still dragging this up.

Please note that all the links bringing it up are newspaper articles - and we all know that we believe every word that journalists write, don't we???

On his own website, andymurray.com, Andy has made it plain that it was a joke that misfired, that he gets on well with a lot of English people, such as Tim Henman and James Auckland for a start, and has an English girlfriend. He states plainly that he is both British and Scots, proud of being both, and in tennis plays for Britain.

I am English, but when asked my nationality I describe myself as British and have done so since long before Andy Murray was born.

Enough already.

It was a good win over an inferior player (something that Murray struggled with last year - he got up for matches against high ranked players but was apt to mess up with lower-ranked ones). The only sign of lost concentration was the one game he gave to Martin, when he was trying just too hard for the triple bagel.

Agassi Aces
01-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Absolutely stunning form from Murray - truly stunning, I'm speechless. Can he really win his first Grand Slam here??

Voo de Mar
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Absolutely stunning form from Murray - truly stunning, I'm speechless. Can he really win his first Grand Slam here??

My prediction: he will lose in the final (Federer).

bigbhoy
01-16-2007, 03:26 PM

Heart would love to see that happening, but head says no.

Sure on his day, he's proven he can beat anyone. Federer has even named Murray as a player he expects to be challenging him for honours soon.

Federer (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/other-sports/article2155428.ece)

In truth, the best he can look for is a 4th round. Coming up against Nadal if they both get there will be a huge challenge to overcome. Personally though, I have a feeling he'll beat him. Should they make it. He's said Nadal is a player he'd love to get, not only because he's a good friend from his time in Spain, but also because he's never played him properly before.

Should that happen & he did overcome the odds to put Nadal out, he'll probably face Blake or Davydenko.

Players like Blake, Davydenko, Nalbandian, Roddick. As well as people like Baghdatis, Gasquet, Berdych can cause him problems if playing their best.

If he got Blake in the quarters, if forced. I'd go for Blake. Mainly because he's beaten Murray before, but more importantly he has more experience. Not to mention is probably more used to the heat than Murray as he's played a lot more around the world in hotter conditions.

The other drawback that Murray has more than anything else is his consistency. Although I've seen a few results from other younger players over the last year. So it seems it's not just limited to him. This is where he can be severely let down. It depends honestly on which Murray shows up. He beat Roddick as Wimbledon, then came out & got battered off court by Baghdatis. Despite him doing the same thing back to Baggy a few days before Wimby started in an exhibition match. The same at the US Open, beat Gonzalez in a great performance in the last 2 sets. Then came out cold & got blasted away by Davydenko.

It's not just coming out cold that costs him, he also has a way of losing his head in matches & taking his foot off the gas. Last year in the US hardcourt series, he was serving something like 5/6 games for the match. Yet lost his serve in each game. In Madrid he faced Djokovic. Beat him 6-1 in the opening set, then lost his way in the 2nd & it cost him the match. He was hanging out with Beckham before the match,. Before the Ljubicic match he was talking about wanting the models for his matches. He hadn't had any because he was on earlier, while the later matches got them.

Thankfully though Gilbert seems to be having an effect on him in ironing that out. The only other things that cost him are too many stupid dropshots, or half hearted returns that hit the net.

The other huge factor is if it's an earlier match where the temp is sizzling hot. Look how many people it's got in the 1st round already. If any such match went to 5 sets, then I'd truly fear for him in such conditions.

Therefore if I was a betting man, I'd go for Blake should he be able to go past Nadal & reach QF's. The euphoria of beating Nadal would get to him, no matter how hard he tried. He'd come out & Blake would got for it straight away with all the big shots. If he took the 1st set, Murray would start to have doubts. Then if he took the 2nd in that heat. That'd pretty much seal it.

The only thing Murray does have is the ability to defeat players that have already beaten him in the past. So maybe Blake might be a good choice after all, he'll remember what happened last time they met in Hamburg & may be able to keep focused properly no matter what to seek some revenge.

Will he win it though, if he got to the final, then anything could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. He's still too unpredicatable for my liking. His 1st serve is getting better all the time, but isn't there just yet. Mark Grabow has helped him build muscel & his forehand is now becoming a weapon when needed. Though the biggest kicker is his mental approach, it's still too fragile for my liking at the moment.

Perhaps he'll be in a much better postition to do something come Wimbledon time. Though I still say it'll be at least another year before he starts coming round fully. Where he may be considered someone who can take them.

However I'd rather wait to see if him & Nadal both reach the 4th round before worrying about Blake. I think overcoming Nadal especially if he's found his form & firing on all cyclinders by then will be more than enough worry for now.

james_olympicman
01-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Am I the only person who felt a bit sorry for Martin and didn't mind Murray not getting a triple bagel?
Didn't Federer beat Gaudio 6-0 6-0 6-0 at the end of season Masters a couple of years ago?
I don't think Nadal will be as impossible as everyone makes out. Murray is on form, the match willl probably be an evening match or with a closed roof on the rod laver. Murray has a faster serve and they have never played before so it is tough to see what will happen. Nadal isn't playing that well. Of course he is no.2 in the world, and a great player, but the way Murray is playing at the moment.
Looking at the draw, I expect Murray to win the next match quite easily. How bad must have Mathieu's twisted ankle have been to retire whilst leading 2 sets and on a tiebreak?!!! Verdasco got lucky, and Murray is a better player than Mathieu.
All these comparisons between Murray and the other juniors are slightly irrevelevent as they are all on the wrong side of the draw apart from Murray and Wawrinka. Djokovic due to meet Federer in 4th round.

Klaas_nalbandian
01-16-2007, 04:27 PM
good start for youngsters novak and andrew

superhoops
01-16-2007, 04:38 PM
I think Murray didn't win 60 60 60 so he has a target for Round 2.

stebs
01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Murray will struggle agaionst Nadal. Tennis is about match-ups and Nadal has the game to beat Murray easily.

Raquel
01-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Well done Andy :woohoo:

Mechlan
01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Nice win for Andy! Martin was fairly pathetic, but it's always nice to start a GS with such a scoreline. Now the more important thing is keeping it up.

Allez
01-16-2007, 05:37 PM
So much for "depth" on the ATP :rolleyes:

Muzza :bounce:

BUT Chela is on his way :scared:

jazar
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Didn't Federer beat Gaudio 6-0 6-0 6-0 at the end of season Masters a couple of years ago?

nope, it was just 6-0, 6-0.

anyway, i just watched the whole match and i gotta say martin played an absolute shocker. it wasnt so much murray being good, as martin being bad. 17 unforced errors in the first set alone. almost any player in the draw would have beaten him by a similar score today.