2003 Rome final Felix Mantilla Roger Federer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2003 Rome final Felix Mantilla Roger Federer

joeb_uk
03-18-2004, 06:01 PM
hi guys, i missed this match from least year. just wondering if this was a good match?

Action Jackson
03-19-2004, 02:47 AM
This is a loaded question for a few reasons? One, what is your definition of a good match, that is different for all the people who watch tennis.

If you are a Mantilla fan it was a good match, if you are Federer fan then it wasn't so good. I am a fan of them both, and I enjoyed the result as to whether it was a good match see my previous sentence.

Ok, seriously Mantilla played very well he was like at his old form before the shoulder problem he was running and running, the backhand wasn't missing and he wasn't making hardly any unforced errors.

Federer had break chances but he failed to convert them and Felix got more confidence and Roger got frustrated and wasn't patient enough during the long rallies to wait for his chances, instead he was trying to finish the points too quickly and mentally Roger wasn't there.

Felix deserved to win this tournament and he played outstanding in the final, it's probably the only TMS he will win as Federer has more many chances to win TMS events.

Dirk
03-19-2004, 04:19 AM
I wasn't happy with the result but Felix did beat a lot of big guys to win it. I just hope Roger can get his hands on Felix this clay season.

Fedex
03-19-2004, 06:15 AM
Felix deserved the match, no denying it. Rogi wasted his chances and he payed for it. Ah, it reminds me though the clay season is fast approaching, be warned Andy. He had better hope he can win Indian Wells or Miami. Of course i dont expect Rogi to be spectacular on the surface either. He plays an attacking, aggressive game, not suited to clay.

Action Jackson
03-19-2004, 06:21 AM
Fedex, actually Roger is quite comfortable on clay and will more than likely win a tournament on the surface this season.

He knows how to move effectively on clay unlike many of the fast court players or Hewitt. He is more vulnerable simply because while his defensive skills have improved and will continue, he hasn't always shown the patience to grind out results which will be needed when he is on the clay.

Have you forgotten his only TMS victory was in Hamburg, he made the final of Rome. His first Slam QF was at the FO, this is not bad for someones weakest surface.