MariaV
01-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Yeah, Rafa's serve looked better. :D :yeah:
Awesome 1st set from Kendrick too.

Castafiore
01-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Pedictable. :yawn:

Who's next?

Not that predictable given their Wimbledon match.

Clara Bow
01-16-2007, 05:56 AM
Rafa was hitting short returns at first, but he got better and better as the match progressed.

His serve was actually pretty snappy.

The Pro
01-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Good thing Rafa pulled off the first tie break. I don't think he would have been in too much trouble had he lost the first set. Kendrick is good but inconsistent.

Is it me being stiff or did Woodbridge just ask Rafa the most MORONIC question I have ever heard in a post match interview?:rolleyes:

Good net play from Rafa. Service could be a little tighter. I think it's asking much of him to hit deep balls so early in a tournament, especially off clay, as consistently as he normally does. It's not too much to ask, but we know what Rafa is like on hard courts...

Macbrother
01-16-2007, 05:58 AM
A more Federer-esque serve motion.:devil:

Even in the first set Kendrick's shots were inconsistant, on hollow ground. You knew it was merely a matter of time before it all came tumbling down. Next up...

RonE
01-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Not that predictable given their Wimbledon match.

Oh come on.

If Kendric couldn't do it at Wimbledon on grass coming as close as he did there was vrtiually no chance for him to make a dent today.

Captain Haddock has spoken ;)

I now return you to your regular Rafa fawning program....

Metis
01-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Good thing Rafa pulled off the first tie break. I don't think he would have been in too much trouble had he lost the first set. Kendrick is good but inconsistent.

Is it me being stiff or did Woodbridge just ask Rafa the most MORONIC question I have ever heard in a post match interview?:rolleyes:

Good net play from Rafa. Service could be a little tighter. I think it's asking much of him to hit deep balls so early in a tournament, especially off clay, as consistently as he normally does. It's not too much to ask, but we know what Rafa is like on hard courts...

I heard that too. Hilarious :lol:

Rafa was standing close to the baseline to return 1st serves and a bit further back for 2nd serve.

Peacemaster
01-16-2007, 06:05 AM
What did Todd ask?

Good start for Rafael. The next two rounds should go smoothly. I'm rooting for him and Nalby to go far as I want to see a cracker of a match between them.

General Suburbia
01-16-2007, 06:06 AM
You're right. Except I have no idea what you're talking about, care to explain?

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Vamos RAFA!

Good straight set win.

Metis
01-16-2007, 06:09 AM
What did Todd ask?

Good start for Rafael. The next two rounds should go smoothly. I'm rooting for him and Nalby to go far as I want to see a cracker of a match between them.

He said: "Maybe some fans don't know this but you sign autographs with the right hand and you play tennis with your left. Is there anything else you do with your left hand?" :o

Rafa and many in the crowd started laughing...

Kalliopeia
01-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Nice, Rafa. :) Started off a bit shaky but seemed to gain confidence and start playing better after getting the first set.

Peacemaster
01-16-2007, 06:13 AM
He said: "Maybe some fans don't know this but you sign autographs with the right hand and you play tennis with your left. Is there anything else you do with your left hand?" :o

Yikes! When did Todd get a lobotomy?

tangerine_dream
01-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Kendrick vs Nadal showed what separates the men from the boys. Kendrick has the game to be top 20 but mentally he just doesn't have it together. After he choked the first set away by pulling the trigger too soon, he began the second set ruminating his chances, overhitting shots, and then the rest of his game got sloppy. After the second set was lost he basically threw in the towel. Nadal, like Federer, is very patient, and only had to wait for Kendrick to self-destruct.

It was still a very good warmup match for Nadal. Clean numbers. His serve looks much better this year.

MariaV
01-16-2007, 06:19 AM

That was a good laugh! :haha: :haha: But Rafa handled it really well. :yeah:

refero*fervens
01-16-2007, 06:19 AM

:lol: I was about to post this :lol:
:o indeed.

RickDaStick
01-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Kendrick vs Nadal showed what separates the men from the boys. Kendrick has the game to be top 20 but mentally he just doesn't have it together. After he choked the first set away by pulling the trigger too soon, he began the second set ruminating his chances, overhitting shots, and then the rest of his game got sloppy. After the second set was lost he basically threw in the towel. Nadal, like Federer, is very patient, and only had to wait for Kendrick to self-destruct.

It was still a very good warmup match for Nadal. Clean numbers. His serve looks much better this year.

Come on now lets be serious. Kendrick is pretty talented but really no different than the majority of the guys out there.

Deivid23
01-16-2007, 06:25 AM
1 out, 6 to go

Clara Bow
01-16-2007, 06:27 AM
His serve looks much better this year.

I agree. PMac mentioned that the serve motion was quicker and they mentioned getting video evidence. I switched the channel at times (for the Golden Globes) but did they ever do a video play by play of the differing speeds like PMac wanted.

sawan66278
01-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Rafa looked VERY tentative in the first set (as have all of the top players including Roger). However, he gutted it out...and to me, this was critical for THE ENTIRE YEAR. I may be overstating the first set's significance, but he stole a tiebreak from behind...and won on his first set point. For the past six months or so, he has CHOKED in many critical moments. Here, he pulled out a win in a critical first set.

And yes, he serve has CERTAINLY improved. More pop to it...and it looks like he picked up some ideas from Roger's motion. This year, I believe he will win less, but his game will improve....look out for a great year in 2008!!!

The next round against the young Kristof...now THAT will be a real challenge...

Björki
01-16-2007, 06:29 AM
Rafa :)

Deivid23
01-16-2007, 06:31 AM
I agree. PMac mentioned that the serve motion was quicker and they mentioned getting video evidence. I switched the channel at times (for the Golden Globes) but did they ever do a video play by play of the differing speeds like PMac wanted.

Itīs not quicker, just different feet placement and toss

Pfloyd
01-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Rafa looked VERY tentative in the first set (as have all of the top players including Roger). However, he gutted it out...and to me, this was critical for THE ENTIRE YEAR. I may be overstating the first set's significance, but he stole a tiebreak from behind...and won on his first set point. For the past six months or so, he has CHOKED in many critical moments. Here, he pulled out a win in a critical first set.

And yes, he serve has CERTAINLY improved. More pop to it...and it looks like he picked up some ideas from Roger's motion. This year, I believe he will win less, but his game will improve....look out for a great year in 2008!!!

Too many big statements in your paragraphs, let's be tentative and see.

Yeah Rafa may have a crappy year, yeah he could win the AO, he might lose on clay, who knows, lets wait and see.

I believe he'll have a more solid year round outcome than last year, but I'm not sure.

Good win today.

Pfloyd
01-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Itīs not quicker, just different feet placement and toss

How do you see Rafa's chances on this tournament?

Deivid23
01-16-2007, 06:36 AM
How do you see Rafa's chances on this tournament?

Iīm moderately optimistic

MariaV
01-16-2007, 06:37 AM

The young Kristof and Philipp Kohlschreiber haven't played yet so... ;)
But this should be even easier. :tape: :ignore: I'll stop jinxing Rafa now. :)

Deivid23
01-16-2007, 06:39 AM
The young Kristof and Philipp Kohlschreiber haven't played yet so... ;)
But this should be even easier. :tape: :ignore: I'll stop jinxing Rafa now. :)

Kohlschreiber is easier, Vliegen isnīt

Pfloyd
01-16-2007, 06:42 AM
Iīm moderately optimistic

That's kinda vague.;)

I believe Rafa's potential quarterfinal matchup with Blake will say alot about Rafa's chances on this tournament.

Deivid23
01-16-2007, 06:47 AM
That's kinda vague.;)

I believe Rafa's potential quarterfinal matchup with Blake will say alot about Rafa's chances on this tournament.

Still long to go till that match, Rafa has some tough players out there on Vliegen (if he beats Kolhschreiber), Wawrinka or Murray. Anyway if that match against Blake happens, Iīd like Nadalīs chances this time bc of the recent changes in his game and bc of the surface

MariaV
01-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Kohlschreiber is easier, Vliegen isnīt

Naah, Rafa handled young Kristof pretty well at Monte Carlo last year. :D
I know it's not clay and he's good but not THAT good. ;)

Deivid23
01-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Naah, Rafa handled young Kristof pretty well at Monte Carlo last year. :D
I know it's not clay and he's good but not THAT good. ;)

Wanna bet? Vliegen wonīt lose 3-0

R.Federer
01-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Good win for rafa, but I don't think the win part was in doubt. Straight sets was good to get it over with. Poor Kendrick, he needs a better draw in a slam!

MariaV
01-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Wanna bet? Vliegen won´t lose 3-0

Well, that might happen and might not. Depending on the heat & stuff.
No, I don't wanna bet on that but I don't see a W for Rafa in danger.
I'll stop jinxing him RIGHT NOW. :tape: :ignore: :wavey:

oz_boz
01-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Told you so.

Nice to hear that Nadal's service has been improved even further.

The Pro
01-16-2007, 09:12 AM
You're right. Except I have no idea what you're talking about, care to explain?

How can you agree with me, then have no idea what I'm talking about?:confused:

bokehlicious
01-16-2007, 09:24 AM
1 out, 6 to go

A long and windy road... :o

stebs
01-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Rafa will be very tough to beat on this surface.

Jade Fox
01-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Best. Question. Ever.:devil:

But yay for Rafa!

MariaV
01-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Kohlschreiber bt young Kristof 5-7 6-3 6-4 6-2 so Philipp it is, instead of Kristof.

vincayou
01-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Nice to see Nadal in good form.

+alonso
01-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Kendrick did actually misshit a lot of shots, like in a wild way! :o
I guess is part of his style

Apemant
01-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Best. Question. Ever.:devil:

Yeah I find it amusing as well. Dunno why some people think it was moronic :devil:

cmurray
01-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Rafa looked pretty good. Really good serving, no choking and his return started getting better. I haven't seen him look this...tidy for a long time.

Plus he isn't standing 15 feet behind the baseline.

Well done Rafa and good luck against Kohlschreiber.

Byrd
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Rafa looked ok, but the way the court plays I think someone with a solid baseline game and serve could put him away IMO.

cmurray
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Also, Robert Kendrick is HOT. How did I not notice this at Wimbledon?/???? :rolleyes:

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Vamos Rafa!!! Keep it going...

adee-gee
01-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Pedictable. :yawn:

Who's next?
:lol: that was intentionally tongue in cheek, right? :p

Xristos
01-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Vamooos!!

jazar
01-16-2007, 03:45 PM
kendrick was never going to win, he doesnt have the game to beat nadal on a hard court. nadal will have tougher tests to come

RogiFan88
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Also, Robert Kendrick is HOT. How did I not notice this at Wimbledon?/???? :rolleyes:

you're kidding, right? :p

Blazed
01-16-2007, 04:48 PM

And what did Nadal say?

Clara Bow
01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
And what did Nadal say?

He let out a big smile and then laughed a bit. He then went on to talk about how tennis is the only thing he does with his left hand and how he used to play tennis with two hands when he was little and switched to one.

mallorn
01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Well done, Rafa. :yeah: Haven't seen it yet so can't comment on the play, but I'm very happy it was a straight sets win and that he committed so few UEs. And it took him less time than Maria to finish the match, who would've guessed. :lol:

GustavoM_Fan
01-16-2007, 05:54 PM
ESPN Highlights video
Rafa Nadal def R.Kendrick 7-6(6) 6-3 6-2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RZLbqh8Os4)

Adler
01-16-2007, 05:59 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wackyplanetshop_1930_47657767
VAMOS

adee-gee
01-16-2007, 06:28 PM
My only complaint is Rafa's backhand is landing half way up the court too many times. As are his returns. A better player than Kendrick would have taken advantage.

Clara Bow
01-16-2007, 06:31 PM
As are his returns. A better player than Kendrick would have taken advantage.

Kendrick was taking advantage in the first set. It did seem to me that Nadal started hitting deeper balls and returning better as the match progressed- which I was glad to see. I thought he hit fewer short balls in the end than he did in the beginning. Still, I agree with your assessment.

Adler- did you see the sign that someone had in the crowd that said something along the lines of "Vamos Rafa Ninja Turtle!" :lol:

Nadal seemed to take less time between points during this match. Woohoo!

I agree with those who think that Kendrick is good looking. With the cap on, not so much, sans cap- me likey! (I call that the ToJo effect.)

safinaferrero
01-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Great wins!

Adler
01-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Adler- did you see the sign that someone had in the crowd that said something along the lines of "Vamos Rafa Ninja Turtle!"
Honestly I did not :) Maybe it was because I was learning at the same time and i was just taking glance at the court from time to time

cmurray
01-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Kendrick was taking advantage in the first set. It did seem to me that Nadal started hitting deeper balls and returning better as the match progressed- which I was glad to see. I thought he hit fewer short balls in the end than he did in the beginning. Still, I agree with your assessment.

Adler- did you see the sign that someone had in the crowd that said something along the lines of "Vamos Rafa Ninja Turtle!" :lol:

Nadal seemed to take less time between points during this match. Woohoo!

I agree with those who think that Kendrick is good looking. With the cap on, not so much, sans cap- me likey! (I call that the ToJo effect.)

Me too. Definitely hot without the hat on.

Also, a big part of the reason I'm so pleased with Rafa's form is that he seems to have tightened up his game some. He was definitely returning better in the second and third sets. I still maintain that he looked better in this match than he has in a long while. It was encouraging, to say the least.

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Me too. Definitely hot without the hat on.

Also, a big part of the reason I'm so pleased with Rafa's form is that he seems to have tightened up his game some. He was definitely returning better in the second and third sets. I still maintain that he looked better in this match than he has in a long while. It was encouraging, to say the least.

Absolutely! I haven't seen him play this well since Wimbly! I hope he keeps it up. And yeah... Rafa taking LESS TIME TO FINISH A MATCH than Shutupova?
What world are we living in? :D
All in all, I feel my hopes for a fine Rogi-Rafa final are returning...! :p

Yes, Cheryl, I agree... Kendrick is a hottie. I have quite a bunch of pics from that Wimbly match, and I well remember thinking that that match was a pleasure to my eyes for at least two reasons at that time. :angel:

cmurray
01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Absolutely! I haven't seen him play this well since Wimbly! I hope he keeps it up. And yeah... Rafa taking LESS TIME TO FINISH A MATCH than Shutupova?
What world are we living in? :D
All in all, I feel my hopes for a fine Rogi-Rafa final are returning...! :p

Yes, Cheryl, I agree... Kendrick is a hottie. I have quite a bunch of pics from that Wimbly match, and I well remember thinking that that match was a pleasure to my eyes for at least two reasons at that time. :angel:

Well, Shriekapova nearly choked after all. Blowing a 5-Love lead in the decisive set? You ask me, she deserved to lose. And let's not forget about her "injury" time out.

Rafa still did quite a bit of ass-picking (I've noticed that he doesn't even yank on his underwear....just his pants. It's just the weirdest thing), but he didn't bounce the ball 4 dozen times before he served. :eek:

The best thing was his serve. He really DID work on it...and won quite a few freebie points off it too. Well, also the fact that he hardly made any unforced errors. That has to feel vveeerrry good for him, no? ;)

yana
01-16-2007, 07:11 PM
well done Rafa!!! :worship:

i loved his reaction at the left arm question. :lol:

he was so amused, he laugh and so did the crowd.

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, Shriekapova nearly choked after all. Blowing a 5-Love lead in the decisive set? You ask me, she deserved to lose. And let's not forget about her "injury" time out.

You don't want to know how hard I was cheering for her opponent, who most definitely deserved to win IMO... My boyfriend got really pissed off with me!

I feel very ggghhhappy with Rafa's yesterday performance - I gather he and Rogelio indeed had a good talk on the plane to Seoul and that Rafa most gladly took Rogi's advice, heheheh.

Well, another long night for me, I guess. Rogi's turn tonight!

neenah
01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Nice job, Rafa, no? :D

RonE
01-16-2007, 08:47 PM
:lol: that was intentionally tongue in cheek, right? :p

Naaahhhhh... what on earth makes you think that? :angel:

RonE
01-16-2007, 08:51 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wackyplanetshop_1930_47657767
VAMOS

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?

Let's see:

- Teenager: he ain't one no more
- Ninja: nope, that nickname is already taken by Roger
- Turtle: unh-unh, pigs and turtles are not the same species last I looked
- Mutant: That is the only thing I can agree with :tape: :p

musefanatic
01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I thought Kendrick might pose a threat considering he did for Nadders at wimbie but no probs here for Rafa :) Well done, glad to see he's better from his injury :)

sawan66278
01-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Rafa got a real break, I believe, because Kristof blew it...While the next match may turn out to be a long one (I haven't seen his opponent but am assuming he is a baseliner by his height), it is better than playing a flat hitter...or shot maker...and this is the type of match Rafa needs: to get good practice on the groundies...He needs to get into a groove, and I think this match will help him..

The little tweaks in his game WILL pay off for him now and in the future...VAMOS!!!

Also, I forgot to mention: did anyone think it was hilarious when Kendrick challenged the Rafa forehand that was almost two feet in? Nice to see Robert having fun out there...

And, I too was for Sharapova's opponent...Sharapova is a jerk who cheats...and even drops "F bombs" when things don't go her way:devil: I'll leave further comments for the wta.tour forum

Adler
01-16-2007, 10:13 PM
RonE, another sentence was teenage mutant hero, and that almost fits ;)

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Also, I forgot to mention: did anyone think it was hilarious when Kendrick challenged the Rafa forehand that was almost two feet in? Nice to see Robert having fun out there...

And, I too was for Sharapova's opponent...Sharapova is a jerk who cheats...and even drops "F bombs" when things don't go her way:devil: I'll leave further comments for the wta.tour forum

Aha, yes! It looked like Kendrick wanted to make the best out of the match whatever would happen - I have this feeling he already understood he wouldn't win it after he lost the TB in the first set, so he chose to have a little bit of fun out there... nice! :D
Another rather funny scene was that 8 (or more, didn't count them all) shots exchange at the net, Rafa winning it, and Kendrick just throwing his racket over the net as if to say "okay, can't win from you here, well done!", whereafter Rafa picked up the racket with a smile and handed it back over to him. Great scene!
All in all I'm very glad I decided to record this match.

Yeah... I never was that fond of Shriekapova, but from now on I fear I'll always be rooting for her opponent! The CHEATER! :mad:

Kalliopeia
01-16-2007, 10:27 PM

Ha. You probably didn't notice because you were too busy being scared Rafa was about to lose? And yeah...he's pretty hot when he takes off the hat. :)

A_Skywalker
01-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?

Let's see:

- Teenager: he ain't one no more
- Ninja: nope, that nickname is already taken by Roger
- Turtle: unh-unh, pigs and turtles are not the same species last I looked
- Mutant: That is the only thing I can agree with :tape: :p

how's your day going , I see that u still visit threads that are not designed for you , may be you dont have anything good to do

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 11:20 PM
how's your day going , I see that u still visit threads that are not designed for you , may be you dont have anything good to do

As far as I understand, anyone is allowed to join in on threads, they aren't 'designed' for anyone in particular... :rolleyes:

Voo de Mar
01-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Kendrick plays nearly always in North America (last year: 26 of 28 events in NA) and I'm afraid with his tennis, in Europe he would be Mr. Nobody (sorry all American tennis fans :wavey:)

A_Skywalker
01-16-2007, 11:27 PM
As far as I understand, anyone is allowed to join in on threads, they aren't 'designed' for anyone in particular... :rolleyes:

Sure , but there just isnt a meaning when people like him come here to bash Nadal , not that I care what he does , its just stupid

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Sure , but there just isnt a meaning when people like him come here to bash Nadal , not that I care what he does , its just stupid

From what I've seen, he's only been making good-natured fun of Rafa, and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not 'bashing', it's more what I'd call a 'different sense of humour' - not all of us like the same jokes. No offense or anything intended. Live and let live...

BlakeJamitis
01-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Kendrick really needs to work on his game. His return game doesn't even halfway look professional. Looked awful to me. He's waaayyyyy inconsistent!

Great match Nadal. Seems like Nadal did his homework from the Wimby match & picked this guy apart. Watching it, I was so ready for it to be over. Great job Nadal!

mallorn
01-17-2007, 12:26 AM
From what I've seen, he's only been making good-natured fun of Rafa, and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not 'bashing', it's more what I'd call a 'different sense of humour' - not all of us like the same jokes. No offense or anything intended. Live and let live...
:lol: Sweet naivety. Been there, done that... ;)

cmurray
01-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Ha. You probably didn't notice because you were too busy being scared Rafa was about to lose? And yeah...he's pretty hot when he takes off the hat. :)

guilty as charged. I tend to have tunnel vision when it comes to Raf.

Merton
01-17-2007, 06:07 AM
That was a solid first round win for Rafa, the best thing is that he served well.