Heat claims another victim as Capdeville defeats Benneteau 4-6, 6-7, 6-2, 6-1, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Heat claims another victim as Capdeville defeats Benneteau 4-6, 6-7, 6-2, 6-1, 6-2

Sjengster
01-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Capdeville deserves credit for the comeback of course, but the scoreline of those last three sets surely tells its own story.

+alonso
01-16-2007, 04:03 AM
Yeah, I was looking at the stats and it's obvious Benneteau couldn't handle the match from 3rd set till the end. Way too much UEs

Congrats Paul for such a fight :D

zicofirol
part of being a tennis player is fitness so credit to Capdeville for hanging in there, the first 2 sets where very close so its not like he was being blown out...

*Viva Chile*
Here in Chile said that Benneteau had problems in a leg more than heat derivated problems. But props to Capdeville too, for the statistics showed that he played well the first 2 sets too, and that TB might be won by him.

Anyway, congrats Paul, well done :yeah:

Fergie
01-16-2007, 04:04 AM
Well done Paul! :D

Sjengster
01-16-2007, 04:07 AM
Second notable win over a Frenchie in a Slam after beating Mathieu at the 2005 US Open.

Sean.J.S.
01-16-2007, 04:19 AM
Why was that match still being played when all the other matches on the outside courts had been stopped?

*Viva Chile*
01-16-2007, 04:22 AM
Why was that match still being played when all the other matches on the outside courts had been stopped?

because they start when it had better conditions of heat.

And please understand that the heat was not the lead factor, it was an injury in the left leg of Benneteau.

Metis
01-16-2007, 04:23 AM
I predict Heat to win this slam without dropping a set. I am totally on his bandwagon now! :banana:

How do you know Heat is a "he"? :p

*Viva Chile*
01-16-2007, 04:26 AM
How do you know Heat is a "he"? :p

at least in spanish we say "EL calor" ;)

Lee
01-16-2007, 04:34 AM
I predict Heat to win this slam without dropping a set. I am totally on his bandwagon now! :banana:

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/753/sun_smiley.gif :cool:

Metis
01-16-2007, 04:35 AM
^^^ J'torian :lol:

at least in spanish we say "EL calor" ;)

In Greek (French and German I think) heat is feminine. :)

ufokart
01-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Capdeville :banana:

GonzoFan
01-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Great comeback Paul!! :bigclap:

*julie*
01-16-2007, 06:25 AM
because they start when it had better conditions of heat.

And please understand that the heat was not the lead factor, it was an injury in the left leg of Benneteau.
Where did you hear that he had a leg injury?

Here is what I found on fft.fr:

Benneteau accablé par la chaleur
(5h01) - Maintenu sous le cagnard, Julien Benneteau (36e à l'ATP), a été victime d'un spectaculaire coup de chaud face au qualifié chilien Paul Capdeville, 148e mondial. Malgré un avantage de deux manches à zéro, le Français a cédé en cinq sets (4/6, 6/7(4), 6/2, 6/1, 6/2 en 3h35). Tenant à peine debout, servant deux fois à la cuillère et pris de vomissements dans l'ultime manche, le Français a été victime d'un règlement à deux vitesses puisqu'aucune partie n'avait été lancée depuis plus de deux heures...

Metis
01-16-2007, 07:26 AM
It's masculine in Latin. :) (And yes, I had to look that up since I haven't taken any Latin classes in a while. :lol: :o)

Latin doesn't count. It's a dead language. :p

Anyway, whatever its gender I hope that Heat will lose early tomorrow in the 2nd round and withdraw from the doubles as well. Together with his/her sister Rain (I think it's a She in most languages) they are the most annoying players on tour... :mad:

atheneglaukopis
01-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Latin doesn't count. It's a dead language. :pMortua lingua est genus optimum!

almouchie
01-16-2007, 08:16 AM
&its only the second day

the players need to be in the top pyhsical condition, hope for favorable temp
& a lot lot of luck

UncleZeke
01-16-2007, 08:18 AM
brutal heat today.

vincayou
01-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Unlucky benneteau.

SwissMister1
01-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Capdeville lathers his face in zinc oxide, looks like he was way better prepared for a hot day

Chileno
01-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Good one Capdeville. :)

takuma
01-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Benneteau accablé par la chaleur
(5h01) - Maintenu sous le cagnard, Julien Benneteau (36e à l'ATP), a été victime d'un spectaculaire coup de chaud face au qualifié chilien Paul Capdeville, 148e mondial. Malgré un avantage de deux manches à zéro, le Français a cédé en cinq sets (4/6, 6/7(4), 6/2, 6/1, 6/2 en 3h35). Tenant à peine debout, servant deux fois à la cuillère et pris de vomissements dans l'ultime manche, le Français a été victime d'un règlement à deux vitesses puisqu'aucune partie n'avait été lancée depuis plus de deux heures...
Ahh,poor Bennet!:sad: The match already sarted?So what..They should've postponed it[just as they do it when it rains]. Highly unfair to let them play in this scorching heat while no other match was held on an open court besides this one that time[for 2 hours!].

Jim Jones
01-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Anyway, whatever its gender I hope that Heat will lose early tomorrow in the 2nd round and withdraw from the doubles as well. Together with his/her sister Rain (I think it's a She in most languages) they are the most annoying players on tour... :mad:

Latin is dead but not its successors, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Romanian etc..

Shabazza
01-16-2007, 01:28 PM

Well, in german rain is a "He". ;)

Good fight from Capdeville - The heat will stay for tomorrow, but will be kicked out of the tournament on thursday.

Neely
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Unbelievable how many 0:2 set comebacks we have already seen so far. Do I only think they are that many or is it really more than usually occur until that stage? (most comebacks are in 1st rounds anyway)

Conita
01-16-2007, 01:47 PM
mm the heat situation is bad
but at the end of the day is the same for all players
i mean it was just as hot to Capdeville as it was to Benneteau
Capdeville handle it better and he was capable of lasting 5 sets
just like Nalbandian and many others did today
that's why GS are soo special they demand extra effort on all areas
coping with the heat is part of it, as coping with rain delays is on wimby

soo well done PAUL!! :bigclap::bigclap:

JustJames
01-16-2007, 02:21 PM
A quote from Julien after the match:

"I fell asleep but the doctor shook me and said 'Stay with us'. He was quite scared."

Wow..he lost consciousness :eek:

vincayou
01-16-2007, 02:26 PM
mm the heat situation is bad
but at the end of the day is the same for all players
i mean it was just as hot to Capdeville as it was to Benneteau
Capdeville handle it better and he was capable of lasting 5 sets
just like Nalbandian and many others did today
that's why GS are soo special they demand extra effort on all areas
coping with the heat is part of it, as coping with rain delays is on wimby

soo well done PAUL!! :bigclap::bigclap:

At the end of the day, we watch them to play tennis, not to measure their resistance to extreme condition.

Shabazza
01-16-2007, 02:39 PM
At the end of the day, we watch them to play tennis, not to measure their resistance to extreme condition.

Ditto!

Experimentee
01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Heat is part of the game, players should be able to play in all conditions. Whoever is the fitter will win, and obviously Capdeville could handle it, so he deserves to win.

I went today and it was really unbearable though. This match, Nalbandian and Ginepri-Almagro I think were the only ones still going when it reached over 36 degrees.

Mateya
01-16-2007, 05:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO...there goes my bet at suicide tennis.
:confused: http://shrani.si/files/mixedsmiler8nt.gif

Damn heat, i mean unbeliveble. Wins two sets and then gets five games in three sets. http://shrani.si/files/mixedsmiler8nt.gif http://shrani.si/files/suicider8nv.gif

From now on I will always look the weather forecast - and decide for a player from Africa or some x-latino no matter who da hell he plays. lol...http://shrani.si/files/topicsucksr8nu.gif
http://shrani.si/files/topicsucksr8nu.gif