It just occured to me... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

It just occured to me...

sykotique
01-16-2007, 01:53 AM
With the Sharapova/Pin match taking unexpectedly long and the heat reaching unbearable heights, Nadal and Kendrick will be playing under the Extreme Heat Policy: this will require the roof to be closed.

Anyone thinks this might slightly disadvantage Nadal, considering the trouble Kendrick's serve gave Nadal at Wimbledon? I think Nadal should still win, probably in 4, maybe 5, but I think it would have been a lot easier had the roof been left open. It's not like Nadal would be afraid of the heat, in any case.

Same thing happened with Rochus and Guccione, although I suspect that given how early that match started, that may just have been a little favouritism on the part of the Aussies (please don't flame, lol).

R.Federer
01-16-2007, 01:54 AM
The roof closed, won't that benefit rafa more, like it did mauresmo last year?

NYCtennisfan
01-16-2007, 01:58 AM
I don't really think it matters either way other as I don't see Kendrick troubling Nadal all that much this time around.

HappyAndie
01-16-2007, 02:07 AM
(Warning: Dumb Question)
How exactly does having the roof closed affect the court? Does it slow it down or speed it up?

Deboogle!.
01-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Well if nothing else, Kendrick (who is often physically frail) won't have that aspect to worry about. Other than that, I can't see it really changing things much. But if it would have any effects on the court, I would think it would speed it up if anything

sykotique
01-16-2007, 02:11 AM
Indoor conditions take away the effect of the elements, which usually speeds up the court ever so slightly.

I don't think Kendrick has the heart or talent to stay with Nadal in any Grand Slam, but with the Aussie courts playing slightly faster than usual and the roof being closed, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kendrick nick a set, given the form Nadal has been in. I doubt he'll come anywhere close to actually winning, though.

R.Federer
01-16-2007, 02:12 AM
(Warning: Dumb Question)
How exactly does having the roof closed affect the court? Does it slow it down or speed it up?

Well the obvious part is that it will play similar to an indoor court. Separately, if it is a high humidity day, the rebound will play stickier (this usually means slower).

belgampaul
01-16-2007, 02:14 AM
i'm not an expert on the court conditions but my guess is that it will slow down the pace. the court will be cooler, no sun whatsover, so the balls will be less presurized and pick less energy from the court.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2007, 02:16 AM
I don't think Kendrick has the heart or talent to stay with Nadal in any Grand Slam, but with the Aussie courts playing slightly faster than usual and the roof being closed, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kendrick nick a set, given the form Nadal has been in. I doubt he'll come anywhere close to actually winning, though.Clearly you missed their match at Wimbledon, then? :scratch:

sykotique
01-16-2007, 02:25 AM
Clearly you missed their match at Wimbledon, then? :scratch:

Lol, let me rephrase that then. I think Kendrick was just a surprise for Nadal, that day, and the fact that grass is obviously Kendrick's best surface didn't help either. Nadal struggles a bit against big servers and big hitters on fast surfaces, it's no secret.

What I mean to say is that, I'd other wise expect Nadal to dispatch Kendrick in straights on every surface other than grass, maybe in 4 at Wimbledon because I think he'll have improved, but the fact that the roof is now closed could make the match slightly more interesting that it originally would have been.

player2k0
01-16-2007, 04:31 AM
isnt the slower pace of the indoor court a disadvantage to the player thats serving better?