No more play on outer courts today? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

No more play on outer courts today?

nobama
01-16-2007, 01:21 AM
I just heard Fred Stolle say the heat rule was implemented and once the matches currently in progress finish there will be no more matches on the outer courts until the temp cools down. Being that it's around noon that could be awhile. What exactly is the rule? How hot does it have to be on court to stop play?

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 01:24 AM
ridiculous if that's the case...

Bremen
01-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Please let this not be the case...

neenah
01-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Wow! :eek: I don't know the rule but if they stopped play at noon they have a few hours left until it gets any cooler.

RickDaStick
01-16-2007, 01:28 AM
I do believe thats how it works. Not a very good rule and with the temperature being high all day, not everyone is going to get on court today.

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 01:30 AM
So let the guys on court die but prevent if from happening to the others?

Wow...just play tennis.

scoobs
01-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Apparently it's getting up to 40C down there on court. Pretty soon we'll have the 2 covered courts only playing and that'll be the case for hours until the temp drops down below 35.

Byrd
01-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Yea and with Nadal coming on in a bit, there won't be much play for others until way later.

Bremen
01-16-2007, 01:37 AM
This sucks...why do they have the open during the hottest time of the year?

AnnaK_4ever
01-16-2007, 01:44 AM
The Weather Channel says it's +37 C now in Melbourne but predicts +32 C for the next 4 hours.

nobama
01-16-2007, 02:18 AM
They're talking about the heat on ESPN and I get the impression Fowler's not a fan of the heat rule. At least Cahill mentioned how hot it gets in the USA in the summer in places like Cincy and Washington DC. And thats not dry heat either.

vogus
01-16-2007, 02:51 AM
The Weather Channel says it's +37 C now in Melbourne but predicts +32 C for the next 4 hours.

don't go by what the Weather Channel says because they always under-report the temperature in Australia by a few degrees.

The current air temp in Melbourne is 100 F. I doubt they'll go below 95 F until late afternoon.

Ernham
01-16-2007, 03:12 AM
100+ degrees is brutal on those courts. I used to run on a track that was made out of essentially the same material.

zicofirol
01-16-2007, 03:13 AM
geezz, these guys are professionals let them pl,ay in 100 degree weather...

Deboogle!.
01-16-2007, 03:20 AM
geezz, these guys are professionals let them pl,ay in 100 degree weather...It has nothing to do with being professional, it's a health and safety issue. The courtside thermometer Luke Jensen has shows it being over 120 degrees (that's about 50 C) on court. That's just inhuman. Their shoes will start to melt, feet burn, and heatstroke becomes possible if not likely. It's senseless to put anyone through that, even professionals.

Carlita
01-16-2007, 03:21 AM
but why is there still play on the outside courts? These people don't run risks??? That's what I don't get....stop those matches....:shrug:

Shabazza
01-16-2007, 03:22 AM
geezz, these guys are professionals let them pl,ay in 100 degree weather...
Quit the bashing. :rolleyes:
If it's 100 degree ,then it's up to 120-125 F on court - if you ever played in such conditions (and I really doubt you did) you know that a human body can take just so much before collapsing may it be an amateur or a professional. Safty comes first in every sport.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2007, 03:25 AM
but why is there still play on the outside courts? These people don't run risks??? That's what I don't get....stop those matches....:shrug:I agree, play should be stopped.. but that's the rule, they finish the matches that have started but don't start any new :shrug:

but I mean, watching nalby/tipsarevic now, this isn't entertaining. It's not good for fans either :shrug:

scoobs
01-16-2007, 03:28 AM
it's crazy - we say this every year.

is it going to take something like Sharapova collapsing on court, like she may well have done had that lasted much longer, before they find a better solution than these stupid rules that please no-one?

Shabazza
01-16-2007, 03:29 AM
I agree, play should be stopped.. but that's the rule, they finish the matches that have started but don't start any new :shrug:

but I mean, watching nalby/tipsarevic now, this isn't entertaining. It's not good for fans either :shrug:

Indeed. Stupid rule. The heat should be handled like a rain-break/delay. Stop play for everyone.

Kalliopeia
01-16-2007, 03:35 AM
Yeah I don't like Sharapova but I was actually worried about her. Even after it was over she looked for awhile like she might not manage to stagger off the court. It was unreal, she was hurting bad. If they have a heat rule like that they should just suspend all play on those courts.

Carlita
01-16-2007, 03:36 AM
I agree, play should be stopped.. but that's the rule, they finish the matches that have started but don't start any new :shrug:

but I mean, watching nalby/tipsarevic now, this isn't entertaining. It's not good for fans either :shrug:I think it's a disgrace! So player 1 isn't allowed to go on the court because of the heat, while player 2 can run the risk of getting sick because he's already there.... who made these rules? :o

Lee
01-16-2007, 03:55 AM
This rule is absolutely stupid.

There's no way players should be out there playing. I live in a desert and it's dry heat but still it's too much for anybody to stay outdoor for extended period of time (like over 30 minutes) without rest and shade.

Shrinking Violet
01-16-2007, 04:02 AM
It's a ridiculous rule. Players who are stuck on the outside courts are treated like crap. It just doesn't make sense at all - if it's too hot and dangerous to start matches in the heat, then it's too hot and dangerous to continue play.

I felt really bad for Sharapova - I don't particulary like her either but she just looked like she was frying. As someone prone to sunburn it was painful just looking at her getting redder and redder. (Saying that - fair skin and thin straps with bare shoulders isn't exactly what you should be wearing in that sort of weather.)

Yappa
01-16-2007, 04:08 AM
You could call it the ultimate challenge, and I admit that I find it interesting to watch those matches, but why they don't treat the heat like rain remains a mystery to me.

Sjengster
01-16-2007, 04:10 AM
I remember this time last year when there was that amazingly hot day on the first Friday and Hrbaty and Andreev had to complete their match on an outside court when everyone else was out of the heat. Worse for Andreev actually, he was up 4-2 in the fifth set before his body gave out and Domino showed his trademark physical fitness to reel off the last four games for victory.

zicofirol
01-16-2007, 04:15 AM
Yeah I don't like Sharapova but I was actually worried about her. Even after it was over she looked for awhile like she might not manage to stagger off the court. It was unreal, she was hurting bad. If they have a heat rule like that they should just suspend all play on those courts.

oh common, she was faking it... when was this rule implemented? I am sure player before also had to deal with the heat, just deal with it...

Shrinking Violet
01-16-2007, 04:17 AM
Considering how quickly she turned color she obviously wasn't wearing sunscreen, or at best very little (which is useless - you have to slather it on). Why no one tells these players that in high heat/high sun, lots of sunscreen actually prevents a good portion of the burning/pain/inflammation and indirectly works to combat dehydration in the process is beyond me. I don't care if you look stupid or if it feels greasy, go out looking like Amy Frazier and maybe you might dispatch your opponent faster because your husk isn't being toasted as you play. :o

Exactly - yes, fine you want to wear the pretty, girly dress - but look after your health first. You keel over and faint and have to forfeit the match no one is going to be saying how good you looked doing it.

When it's really hot here (and admittedly hot here isn't comparable with hot in Australia) I don't care how bad I look - I have high factor sun screen slapped on, a hat on my head and my shoulders covered because I know how painful it is. I can't imagine how much worse it would be running about in it for two hours baking in an oven like that.

Lee
01-16-2007, 04:21 AM
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/753/85.gif

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 04:25 AM
whats the story? Play or no play?

Carlita
01-16-2007, 04:49 AM
no play only on the 2 biggest showcourts with the roof closed.

TheBoiledEgg
01-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Why not have the Aussie Open at NIGHT.
start play at 6pm Melbourne time. and go thru all night.

its great for European Viewers and for the players and fans
most of them dont go to work anyway and they all say its school holidays down under.

Sjengster
01-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Come on TBE, it's their home tournament and they're paying to watch it, what's the point in making them go through what we have to? Too much of a disruption for the players as well, I suppose they may still be suffering from jet-lag and will be out of rhythm, but to play all night is still too big a change.

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 05:04 AM
Sports betting books have the next matches starting in 2 hours...

vogus
01-16-2007, 05:05 AM
it's ridiculous to start these matches at 11am when it's 33 degrees C and obviously going up to 39-40 C during the course of the matches. They need to extend the heat rule to protect the players who are on court in the opening matches - everybody else is protected, so why not the players who go on court first? It's an extremely dangerous situation to have guys playing for multiple hours at 100 degrees (which is like 130 degrees oncourt).

williaer
01-16-2007, 05:08 AM

most of them dont go to work anyway and they all say its school holidays down under.

I'm seriously hoping you're joking.

Regenbogen
01-16-2007, 05:09 AM

That would be COOL! But I'm a crazy night owl :lol:

mishar
01-16-2007, 05:10 AM
Do the outside courts have lights so they can play there into the night?

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 05:20 AM
There should be light it would be strange if the doesn't have lights, even in Warsaw were the J&S cup is held there are light on majority of courts, but my polsih comentators said thay during night there is play only on vodafone and rod laver, but they are talking BS all the time so propably they are wrong, it would be strange if light were only on 2 courts , maybe some courts doesn't have lights but I sure more than two courts have lights

TheBoiledEgg
01-16-2007, 05:20 AM
I'm seriously hoping you're joking.

it was meant as a joke

but it could be taken up on a serious note--
take today for example.... lots of matches left to play and no need to cancel them for tomorrow, just play thru night.

Bremen
01-16-2007, 05:21 AM
There will be more matches today yes?

vogus
01-16-2007, 05:25 AM

yes but air temp is still 102 F. I'm sure they won't play before 6pm local time (2am EST, 8am CET).

TheBoiledEgg
01-16-2007, 05:25 AM

its only 425pm there now
temps will be cooling down after next hour or so.

got plenty of time
some of the players that were 4th matches on have gone back to hotels i've heard.

williaer
01-16-2007, 05:26 AM
Do the outside courts have lights so they can play there into the night?

Most of the outside courts have lights but they're not going to continue play too late into the night. They'll probably try and play as many matches as possible and will have to reschedule matches until tomorrow. If they only get to complete one more match on the outside courts today, they might have to think about starting play an hour earlier tomorrow morning however because it's going to be this hot again tomorrow I'm not sure what they'll do but I know they're not going to play late on all courts- maybe just on the show courts.

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Yes there would for sure
I've talked with my friend who is in Australia and he talked to some offcials . he said that there was schedule to play 4 matches on every court right now , it seems that at least one more match on every court will be played. Because after first matches they made this heat rule. All matches on Vodafone and Rod Laver will be played , so after Nadal - Kendrick , Clijsters will play. And after Guccione - Rochus (if it will end) Hingis - Dechy and Blake - Moya. I hope they will make some kind of reschedule because there could be some matches played between day and night session on Rod Laver.

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 05:29 AM
It could be hard if the heat will strike again tomorrow

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 05:32 AM
i find it funny that they would let the guys currently on court die of heat but the others couldn't have played in this same heat the last 2 hours.

This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard of. Who the hell came up with this? You either halt play immediately if there is a threat or you let it go.

UNREAL

england_rules
01-16-2007, 05:35 AM
It has nothing to do with being professional, it's a health and safety issue. The courtside thermometer Luke Jensen has shows it being over 120 degrees (that's about 50 C) on court. That's just inhuman. Their shoes will start to melt, feet burn, and heatstroke becomes possible if not likely. It's senseless to put anyone through that, even professionals.
They used to make us play in any heat in my tournaments! I guess that's what happens when you're not as good but I once played when it was 110 degrees fahrenheit and probably 15-20 degrees hotter on the court! That match also lasted over 4 hours! :o

Kalliopeia
01-16-2007, 05:39 AM
oh common, she was faking it... when was this rule implemented? I am sure player before also had to deal with the heat, just deal with it...

Right. She was faking that massive sunburn. What possible point would faking how miserable she looked serve? Especially after the match was over? She was totally stupid not to wear sunblock but that doesn't make the ensuing sunburn any less painful. Not to even mention how she's going to deal with it for her next match.

Metis
01-16-2007, 05:41 AM
^^^ next time she'll be on the night session ;)

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 05:42 AM
Sharapova looked so bad, I felt sorry for her, it looked like she was going to collapse.

Bremen
01-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 05:54 AM
I've again talked with my friend , he said it's a little bit cooler right now so if nothing changes play should continue soon

Carito_90
01-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Sharapova looked so bad, I felt sorry for her, it looked like she was going to collapse.

OMG I know! It was terrible, I really felt kind of bad for her.

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 05:57 AM
OMG I know! It was terrible, I really felt kind of bad for her.

Yeah she isn't my favourite , but I also didn't dislike her. I was suprised that he continued playing, and Pin was serving for match and Maria with huge play won it, she should BIG BIG BIG Heart for fighting

Now Clijsters - Bardina and Hingis - Dechy these matches should be very fast. I hope they will put some matches on Rod Laver Arena before night session, beacuse I guess in 1h it would be free.

Lee
01-16-2007, 06:02 AM

But not for the fashion disaster :p The back is more amazing.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/3e/full.getty-tennis-open-aus-sharapova_10_46_34_pm.jpg

Bremen
01-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Yeah she isn't my favourite , but I also didn't dislike her. I was suprised that he continued playing, and Pin was serving for match and Maria with huge play won it, she should BIG BIG BIG Heart for fighting

Now Clijsters - Bardina and Hingis - Dechy these matches should be very fast. I hope they will put some matches on Rod Laver Arena before night session, beacuse I guess in 1h it would be free.

Highis and Clijsters playing very quickly...they're trying to be nice to the other players...:)

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 06:45 AM
that's nice

But I hope there would be play on Red Laver before night sesion, 2 men's match or 1 women's match would fit into schedule

Metis
01-16-2007, 06:49 AM
I doubt that they will do that. The evening session starts in 1hr 30min. Even a women's match could last 3 hours (see Sharapova).

*Ljubica*
01-16-2007, 06:51 AM
The commentator on British Eurosport said they were just about to restart on the outside courts.

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 06:53 AM
this is getting confusing.

Sports betting books are now saying another hour...

Trent
01-16-2007, 06:59 AM
I've again talked with my friend , he said it's a little bit cooler right now so if nothing changes play should continue soon

Don't know who you're speaking to but it hasn't gone below 39 degrees for hours now, and its still sitting on around 40, so there's not going to be any action for a least a little while yet.

Play isn't going to begin until it's at least 35 degrees. I'd say temps will start dropping towards that mark within the next hour or so.

Lee
01-16-2007, 07:10 AM
There's an updated schedule in AO site.

Resume play at 6pm and most courts only play one men's and one women's match.

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 07:13 AM
There's an updated schedule in AO site.

Resume play at 6pm and most courts only play one men's and one women's match.

As I said;)

I didn't say that it is much cooler, I said a little bit;) , it was what my friend tell from when I phoned him. ;)

Trent
01-16-2007, 07:15 AM
It's not cooler at all :p, it's more than 40 degrees now.

Anyway, I'm saying a 7pm-7.30pm start

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 07:26 AM
OK I don't want to argue with you , you have better information.And Thanks for This Info :worship: :worship: :worship:
I think it was only my friend guess that it is cooler a little bit, I don't know I've talkied with him only for a while :angel:

Samuel
01-16-2007, 07:29 AM
@Loremaster
I don't know where you're friend's from, but it certainly hasn't cooled down yet. As Trent mentioned correctly, but assure yourself.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60900.shtml

Trent
01-16-2007, 07:30 AM
a good way of keeping an eye on the exact temps is visiting this website

I really would have expected it to have cooled off by now but it hasn't *shrugs* 40.4 degrees is crazy for 6.30pm

Samuel
01-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Same thoughts on opposite sides of the globe. :D
Still I'm happy with my 3°C outside right now.

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 07:47 AM
@Loremaster
I don't know where you're friend's from, but it certainly hasn't cooled down yet. As Trent mentioned correctly, but assure yourself.

He is there, but I talked to him some time ago, maybe it cooled a little bit fot short peroid I don't know
Sorry if this info made confussion

zicofirol
01-16-2007, 08:19 AM
this is dumb there is no way they get all matches in today, no way, just because of some dumb rule...

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Rule is stupid , but only because they didn't stop all matches, because of that some players like Sharapova, Tipsarevic, Benneteau suffered so much , and other like Nalbandian, Sharapova could be empty for next matches

UncleZeke
01-16-2007, 08:26 AM
they are going to be backed up tomorrow.

zicofirol
01-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Rule is stupid , but only because they didn't stop all matches, because of that some players like Sharapova, Tipsarevic, Benneteau suffered so much , and other like Nalbandian, Sharapova could be empty for next matches

no its not, many other players in much more physical sports have played in that kind of weather and they are not calling off matches, why do some players not have problems with these type of weather? if you prepare yourself well you can play in this weather...

Peta Pan
01-16-2007, 09:21 AM
on the news here that finished at 7.30pm it was still 40 degrees.

I was there this morning, nearly fainted watching Ginepri v Almagro / Capdeville v Benneteau and got a pass out to return later in the day. Got back there at 5pm and still nothing... just got to see Pavel practising which made my day anyway :)

It was truly a mentally and physically draining day and with temp expected to be 37 degrees again tomorrow I just don't know what they are going to do!

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 09:23 AM
I've just heard that players are going out into courts now, and will play inder lights, so we could expect play to be conitued very soon

Loremaster
01-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Davydenko started his warm-up on the outdoor court

scarecrows
01-16-2007, 09:25 AM
I've just heard that players are going out into courts now, and will play inder lights, so we could expect play to be conitued very soon

thank god

I was getting pissed watching Molik

refero*fervens
01-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey, yep probably - live scoreboard just came to life before my eyes, and points are being played...

MCA, S.Court 2, Courts 6,7...they're all coming up now...so apparently play has started again :D