fed-djoko, who would win? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

fed-djoko, who would win?

FSRteam
01-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I purposely put "would" and not "will" since it is only first round now and they wouldn't face before the 4th round but still, who do you think would win?

fed won quite easily against phau today but djoko is just so impressive right now against massu (6-1 6-1). Plus he had a great start of the year.

I know fed crushed him in their last encounter on the same surface although indoors (DC in Geneva) but it may be well different this year. The kid is just impressive!

bad gambler
01-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Djokovic in 4

bokehlicious
01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Fed in 3

TMJordan
01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Novak 4 sets

uglyamerican
01-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Djokovic in 4

Seriously? I love Novak, but I would be happy if he (first got to the 4th round, and then) won one set against Federer and kept it interesting.

Just a minute ago, I thought to myself, "this beat-down (of Massu) is going to start people talking about Nole/Fed match-up.;)

Ernham
01-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Fed in 5 any time before the quarter finals. Fed in four until the finals. Fed in three in the final.

FSRteam
01-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Seriously? I love Novak, but I would be happy if he (first got to the 4th round, and then) won one set against Federer and kept it interesting.

Just a minute ago, I thought to myself, "this beat-down (of Massu) is going to start people talking about Nole/Fed match-up.;)

Actually after seeing fed's draw, the first one I got concerned about was djoko! I saw what he "did" in adelaide and I know he has what it takes to beat anyone, even fed. I put fed in 4 because I hope he wins and bearing in mind his bad 5 setters record but I wouldn't be surprised if nole beats him in 4 or 5...

nobama
01-15-2007, 10:13 AM
I purposely put "would" and not "will" since it is only first round now and they wouldn't face before the 4th round but still, who do you think would win?

fed won quite easily against phau today but djoko is just so impressive right now against massu (6-1 6-1). Plus he had a great start of the year.

I know fed crushed him in their last encounter on the same surface although indoors (DC in Geneva) but it may be well different this year. The kid is just impressive!
Why don't you wait to put up this poll since neither one have gotten to the 4th round yet? If one or both don't make it that far who cares about a hypothetical matchup? :confused:

Adler
01-15-2007, 10:13 AM
yyy... don't they have to play 2 more matches to have the opportunity to meet each other? ')

FSRteam
01-15-2007, 10:14 AM
yyy... don't they have to play 2 more matches to have the opportunity to meet each other? ')

Read my 1st post again!

Naide
01-15-2007, 10:15 AM
like fed but id like to see novak winning

uglyamerican
01-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Why don't you wait to put up this poll since neither one have gotten to the 4th round yet? If one or both don't make it that far who cares about a hypothetical matchup? :confused:

Anticipation is half the fun in tennis. Looking at the draw. Picking out fun potential match-ups.

FSRteam
01-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Read my 1st post again!

I said WOULD they meet?

But do you honestly think they will lose before they should meet?

uglyamerican
01-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Read my 1st post again!

I said WOULD they meet?

Ferrero gives me some concern. His style could prove troublesome for Nole.

FSRteam
01-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Ferrero gives me some concern. His style could prove troublesome for Nole.

I don't think ferrero stands one single chance against nole!

nobama
01-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Read my 1st post again!

I said WOULD they meet?

I read your post just fine. I just don't see the point talking about something that could happen when there's plenty of time to talk about it if it does happen.

FSRteam
01-15-2007, 10:29 AM
I read your post just fine. I just don't see the point talking about something that could happen when there's plenty of time to talk about it if it does happen.

So that the poll is already on MTF!!! ;)

Puschkin
01-15-2007, 10:33 AM
When I saw the draw, I already felt that this might become Roger's toughest match of the tournament. However, we are not there yet.;)

uglyamerican
01-17-2007, 09:26 AM
bump.

Hype it.

El Legenda
01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Jokovic in 5

Jadranka
01-17-2007, 09:37 AM
I hope Nole!!!! in 3 :D

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-17-2007, 09:39 AM
The joke will prove he isn't one in 5 sets

bokehlicious
01-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Some kind of injury will probably force Novak to retire during the match...

sykotique
01-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I think anyone who wants to beat Federer at the AO is going to have to be prepared to go 5 sets. And, unfortunately, that rules out Djokovic.

Plus, something tells me that by the time the 4th round comes around, Federer will be in cruise control. The improvement between the Phau match and the Bjorkman match was rather noticeable. If Youzhny doesn't pressure Federer while he might be still working out some kinks from the off season, then I don't see Fed losing a set until the semis.

richie21
01-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Fed in 3 or 4 sets
i'm still not convinced that Djokovic has the game to beat Federer.
Gasquet has PERHAPS a better chance(if he makes the 1/4 final obviously) especially if he plays to the level he showed at the end of last season
even though Federer has a pretty good record against him(5-1),Gasquet's game often causes him troubles....

ljubicic_
01-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Fed in three!!! Nole may be a good player, with maybe a chance to win but the reason why Croatian and Serbian tennisplayers lose to Federer is because off our mentality! "our" players just don't believe that they have a chance to beat Federer thatswhy Federer will win in 3 easy sets!

shaggy
01-17-2007, 10:07 AM
nole I hope

Voo de Mar
01-17-2007, 10:15 AM
FedEx in 3 but maybe two of three sets will be tight, something 7-5 6-3 7-6.

vincayou
01-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Djokovic has really impressed me so far. Very very solid.

But Federer is still better and will win in 4. Only Nadal can stop him from another slam.

BORO77
01-17-2007, 10:24 AM
I hope Nole will win. in 3 or in 4. i dont know if he is strong enough for 5 sets against Fed.

Jaap
01-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Federer in 3. Easy.

Andre♥
01-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Djokovic chokes away when he faces the best players. Everybody thought that he would beat Hewitt at the USO and he lost in straight sets.

richie21
01-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Djokovic chokes away when he faces the best players. Everybody thought that he would beat Hewitt at the USO and he lost in straight sets.

yep and that wasn t a small beating: 6-3 6-1 6-2!
At least,Gasquet competed far better against Hewitt in this same US Open.

uglyamerican
01-17-2007, 11:22 AM
There is something to the fact that Novak wins when he thinks he should win, and loses when he thinks he should lose.

Also, Novak has never won a match on the biggest court at any slam.

*Viva Chile*
01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Djoko is closing Fed, but this is not the time yet ;)

Federer in 4. ;)

Loremaster
01-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Djokovic in 4

Exactly :worship:

Fergie
01-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Rogi in 3 or 4

Shrinking Violet
01-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Roger in 3. Even though he's not looking great so far, I think he'll turn it up a little.

Should be a great match though.

Byrd
01-17-2007, 02:41 PM
I watched Djokovic against Lalo, and even though he has a solid game he has no 'killer' shot, which I think will make it hard against Fed. Hes pretty mentally suspect as well when he has pressure on him, like losing 3 games in a row when he was serving for the 2nd set.

denisgiann
01-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Lets just say that the Joke will end :cool: .

Black Adam
01-17-2007, 05:31 PM
The Joker will prevail in 5 or 4 sets using TO to his advantage.

ezekiel
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
I was looking forward to this match up at last season's Wimbledon but it was not meant to be so I can't bring myself with certainty for this match since they have one more 2 go. However I have no doubt should it happen it will be an excellent match, Nole still undefeated this year playing against Fed who looked great against Bjorkman yesterday will give him all he could handle. But this is one match up of many , Nole is just upcoming pretender and both are all court players so many matches to come

rofe
01-17-2007, 06:09 PM
:lol: at all the Novak bandwagon-hopping.

Oh and if they both make it to the 4th round then Fed will feed Novak so many junk balls that Novak will start crying for his mama. ;)

guga2120
01-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Federer in 3, there are people that actually think he would lose?

Allez
01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I think this is going to be the match of the tournament at the 4th round stage with Rogi staging a dramatic come from behind 5 set victory :worship:

rofe
01-17-2007, 06:24 PM
I think this is going to be the match of the tournament at the 4th round stage with Rogi staging a dramatic come from behind 5 set victory :worship:

You should think before you post - Roger's 5 set record is terrible for a #1 player so he has to finish in 3.

jazar
01-17-2007, 08:51 PM
nole is playing really well, but by the 4th round federer will be even more supreme than he was today. federer will win, either in a close 3 setter or a 4 setter where he runs away with the 4th. i'm not sure nole has the weapons to consistently take federer out for the whole match

KC13
01-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Fed easy in 3.
He seems not to like that Djoko guy,and it is already difficult playing against the nr 1 ,and it doesn't get better if he doesn't like you.

Deivid23
01-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Too soon for Nole to beat Federer on hard courts, Federer will win, 4 sets for me.

PD: Nole will get him in the clay season, though

uglyamerican
01-19-2007, 03:52 AM
Too soon for Nole to beat Federer on hard courts, Federer will win, 4 sets for me.

PD: Nole will get him in the clay season, though

Interesting idea.

Well, if Fed does his part, the match-up will be set.

FSRteam
01-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I just read the interview of fed and you can clearly see he doesn't really like djoko. Plus, it gives you the feeling that despite what he says he is quite nervous of playing him!

Read this:

Q. How difficult is it when you have an opponent playing almost with no fear, as he (djoko) says he's going to?

That's easy to say. Just get out there and then hit the shots. Of course, you know, I'm the big favorite. This is maybe his big moment where he can maybe make a name for himself no doubt. But he already missed that opportunity twice. Usually when I beat a guy twice, I know how to play him. I hope I can take advantage of that.

feuselino
01-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Roger nervous? Please... you don't dominate Tennis for three years when you get nervous playing the nr. 14 of the world.

But, I really have to say, I think Djokovic has a great attitude. He really has the right mind to reach Nr. 1. Just not yet! ;)

delsa
01-19-2007, 01:00 PM
C'mon Nole! Upset JesusFed! :rocker2:

TMJordan
01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Please Novak, beat him.

Super-Fabio
01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Nole in 4 :D

scarecrows
01-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Federer in 3 most likely

maximum in 4

sykotique
01-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Federer in 3.

Djokovic is the future, but he is not the present. Judging from the improvement on Federer's part from Phau to Bjorkman to Youzhny, he looks set to hit the high notes against Novak. He'll have a breakthrough Grand Slam, but not against a fully fit, motivated, peaking Federer. Plus, the added fact that Federer makes no bones about not being particularly fond of the young lad.

bigbhoy
01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Federer in straight sets 3-0.

1. 6-4
2. 6-3
3. 6-1

Peacemaster
01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Roger will make a statement of intent. Beware, Novak.

Maya_4
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Nole in 4 maybe 5 sets:D :D :D

pistolmarat
01-19-2007, 06:00 PM
oh, well fed's gonna win 4 sure, but nole is not a whimp, and he will fight. 5 sets:p

t0x
01-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I think Nole's attitude is great, he'll go out there and give it a fight, but I think it'll only last a set and a bit. Something like 76 64 61 to Fed.

Apemant
01-19-2007, 06:07 PM
I think Nole's attitude is great, he'll go out there and give it a fight, but I think it'll only last a set and a bit. Something like 76 64 61 to Fed.

A scoreline such as that is not likely to happen, as it suggests Nole would just give up after 2nd set. If it's in 3 (and I'm not sure about that) it should be more like Fed vs. Phau: strong 2nd set from Fed, then calm 3rd.

dylan24
01-19-2007, 06:10 PM
fedex in 3
he's going to school the kid

ezekiel
01-19-2007, 06:18 PM
I just read the interview of fed and you can clearly see he doesn't really like djoko. Plus, it gives you the feeling that despite what he says he is quite nervous of playing him!

Read this:

I am glad to hear that and I respect that Roger is always keeping an eye on opposition and he doesn't hide he is nervous playing someone for the first time (he played Nole 2 times already) unlike say Sampras who couldn't be bothered with any one else and why he lost so much to unheralded opposition.

PoderShileno
01-19-2007, 06:37 PM
fed ....in -..3

R.Federer
01-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Depends on how many injury timeouts are taken :)

Seriously though, Novak will have his time in a future year. This is my impression. Tomorrow though, IMO it is a little too early to expect him to win, although he could play Roger very close. I think that novak could sneak out a set here or there, but Roger Federer will prevail.

TMJordan
01-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Novak will become the first young gun to make a major statement here by taking out Roger and winning the AO....at least I really really hope so.

Peoples
01-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Djokovic obviously has the edge here. He turned on the style easily beating Massu, Lopez and Udomchoke. Fed needs to be at his very best to get even something out of this match, stretching to 5 sets maybe if he defends well but he might still lack the necessary weapons.

richie21
01-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Djokovic obviously has the edge here. He turned on the style easily beating Massu, Lopez and Udomchoke. Fed needs to be at his very best to get even something out of this match, stretching to 5 sets maybe if he defends well but he might still lack the necessary weapons.

And Roger knows that perfectly as Hewitt has told him by phone how good Djokovic is.:devil:

prima donna
01-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Federer, 5 7, 6 0, 6 3, 6 1

KaxMisha
01-19-2007, 08:48 PM

:retard:

Feketepuss
01-19-2007, 08:51 PM

You are aware that Djokovic has only twice beaten a top ten player? That he hasn't beaten anyone in the top forty two this year? To win, he is going to have to pull out something the likes of which we have not yet seen from him.

the answer
01-19-2007, 08:55 PM
You are aware that Djokovic has only twice beaten a top ten player? That he hasn't beaten anyone in the top forty two this year? To win, he is going to have to pull out something the likes of which we have not yet seen from him.

I think he was just messing around.

SerbianSmash
01-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I think Novak has a chance, but only a slight one. In fact, and this may seem strange, I think it would mostly depend on Novak's game since Federer will be there on his level. I think Novak has the quality to do it - but he would have to have "his day", to play at his absolutely best level, and with some luck he can take out Fed on a "not too perfect" a day.
Go, go NOLE!
'Ajmo, 'ajde SVI U NAPAD!

the answer
01-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I think Novak has a chance, but only a slight one. In fact, and this may seem strange, I think it would mostly depend on Novak's game since Federer will be there on his level. I think Novak has the quality to do it - but he would have to have "his day", to play at his absolutely best level, and with some luck he can take out Fed on a "not too perfect" a day.Go, go NOLE!

Doesn't make sens what you said.

SerbianSmash
01-19-2007, 11:15 PM
I said it might sound strange. What I meant was that Fed always plays at one same, very high level, but minor fluctuations are possible. If Nole plays at his best, and has some luck (that always helps, right?) he could take Fed out (on his not so perfect day).
Hmm. Am I making any sense here?
(Being a Nole's fan it's not easy to keep a cool head, you know).

Merton
01-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Roger in 3 but the way Djokovic is developing he might very well post a win against Federer later in the year.

safinaferrero
01-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Fedex in 3 sets sth like
7-5, 6/3, 6/2

Halba
01-20-2007, 01:53 AM
commentators have pointed out the two or three things that you need to do to be effective against Federer

*If Fed first serve is on - nothing you can do. But have to be aggressive on his 2nd serve whenever you get an opportunity. If you miss you lose. Have to blast the 2nd serve deep into his backhand side. But even he possesses a good variety on 2nd serve- must not allow 2nd to dictate.

*If using a good first serve that gets him on the backfoot, use net skill/come to net to finish him off quickly/reduce the time factor for Federer.

*Whilst engaged in baseline battles, NEVER hit it to the Federer forehand unless he's completely out of position. Always hit it to his backhand to maximise your chances. Those with solid two handed backhands or a good one hander have always had a good chance here (Djoko, Gasquet, Safin, Nadal on clay, Berdych, Nalby, Andy Murray)

*Serve out of your mind against him. Must possess a reliable serve. Unreturnable serves/aces help you win cheap points/lessen the rally's where Fed is deadly from the back court.

MissPovaFan
01-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Federer in 3 :p

blank_frackis
01-20-2007, 02:13 AM
I said it might sound strange. What I meant was that Fed always plays at one same, very high level, but minor fluctuations are possible. If Nole plays at his best, and has some luck (that always helps, right?) he could take Fed out (on his not so perfect day).
Hmm. Am I making any sense here?
(Being a Nole's fan it's not easy to keep a cool head, you know).

That makes sense to me, Federer is a model of consistency but no matter who you are you still have good and bad days. The difference between Federer and some other players is that on his bad days he's still great so you have to be on the top of your game to beat him regardless.

Regenbogen
01-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Federer in straights. I hope his cold isn't too bad though, you could really tell he had one in that bit they showed of his press conference :unsure:

Federerhingis
01-20-2007, 03:34 AM
I think Novak has a chance, but only a slight one. In fact, and this may seem strange, I think it would mostly depend on Novak's game since Federer will be there on his level. I think Novak has the quality to do it - but he would have to have "his day", to play at his absolutely best level, and with some luck he can take out Fed on a "not too perfect" a day.
Go, go NOLE!

Pretty much however, he'l have his chances especially if Fed has a slow start. I can definitely see Novak winning the first set. He'l probably make it two very tight sets or even take it to five sets I wouldn't be surprised at all. As I posted before. This should be a compelling 4 set match if not a solid five set match depending how in form Federer decides to be in.