The LEGEND of Michael Russell [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The LEGEND of Michael Russell

vogus
01-15-2007, 03:42 AM
for those of you who don't remember, Mike Russell was the unknown, undersized American who won 3 qualifying rounds and then 3 maindraw rounds at the 2001 French Open, then went up 2 sets to love against Kuerten, had a match point at 6-5 in the third, and came within about 2 centimeters (Gugo hit a ball right off the back of the baseline) of knocking off the defending and future RG champ. After Russell lost that point, he never had another real chance in the match, and since that day, he has never won another match in a Grand Slam. Good to see him finally back, playing a big match in a GS six years later against Hewitt.

Good luck Mike! :worship:

Leo
01-15-2007, 03:46 AM
I remember watching that exciting match live and being on the edge of my seat. Russell was so gutsy and came SO close! Who knows, maybe Ferrero would have won RG 2001 if Russell took Kuerten out for him. Or maybe Kafelnikov or Corretja!

But I wish Mike the best and until I saw that article about him on australianopen.org I really had no clue he was still playing.

TMJordan
01-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Oh I know who he is and I am a fan of him, but apparently this means I am a bandwagon fan of his because I dont activley post in his thread. :rolleyes:

Good luck Mike.

Balerion
01-15-2007, 04:10 AM
I think Russell has had some injury problems over the years, but he's definitely a top 100 talent. Top 50? That's a stretch, but given how close he is to the top 100 due to his Challenger play last season, I could see him spending most of the year playing on the ATP Tour.

In the first week of this season, he won the challenger in New Caledonia and lost 11 games.....all week. He's hot right now and could pose a threat to Hewitt if Lleyton is not careful.

vogus
01-15-2007, 04:31 AM
But I wish Mike the best and until I saw that article about him on australianopen.org I really had no clue he was still playing.

there is just something so storybook about him never having won a Grand Slam match in 10 years on tour, except for that one run at RG where he came so close to beating Kuerten, where a single point made such a difference in his career. Because if Russell wins that point, he's in the RG quarters (against Kafelnikov), and who knows where he might have gone from there. It would be a good subject for a tennis movie.

vogus
01-15-2007, 06:54 PM
bump. I know this board hates Americans, but Russell deserves a little bit of play in advance of tonight's match.

Hrastar
01-15-2007, 10:27 PM
I hope he trashes Lleyton's ass 2night ;)

t0x
01-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Is this the guy that stormed through qualies? If so I fancy his chances at knocking Lleyton out, yay!