Soccer hooligans at tennis matches [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Soccer hooligans at tennis matches

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 03:03 AM
I think these nuts need to be banned. First the Serb-Croat riot and now Baggy's crazy hooligan friends have showed up and started with the annoying singing and chanting again. Love Baggy, hate his friends. :p

Jimnik
01-15-2007, 03:07 AM
At least there are no top Turkish players, otherwise we'd see some REAL violence.

RickDaStick
01-15-2007, 03:08 AM
Andy Roddick needs to be banned from tournaments for acting like a hooligan.

Bremen
Tell me about the riot...what happened?

Dimitra
At least there are no top Turkish players, otherwise we'd see some REAL violence.

roflmao!True!!

El Legenda
01-15-2007, 03:09 AM
Tangy looking for vCash?

what a terrible thread :lol:

Mistaflava
01-15-2007, 03:09 AM
bunch of idiots started hitting each other with sticks, scratching each other and pulling each others hair.

TMJordan
01-15-2007, 03:10 AM
I shall be joining in on this next year :p

Metis
01-15-2007, 03:16 AM
I think these nuts need to be banned. First the Serb-Croat riot and now Baggy's crazy hooligan friends have showed up and started with the annoying singing and chanting again. Love Baggy, hate his friends. :p

At least so far they are not bothering his opponent or making noise during play. I hope that doesn't change. :unsure:

Dimitra
01-15-2007, 03:19 AM
At least so far they are not bothering his opponent or making noise during play. I hope that doesn't change. :unsure:

Yes they have learned from last year!!;)

Metis
01-15-2007, 03:21 AM
Marcos' fans just chanted:

Baghdatis you look great in the yellow shirt. (in rhime of course) :lol:

HappyAndie
01-15-2007, 03:30 AM
Next they will be throwing flares onto the court if they keep at this pace. And I am sure the favored J-Block will be out in full force as well.

El Legenda
01-15-2007, 03:33 AM
Next they will be throwing flares onto the court if they keep at this pace. And I am sure the favored J-Block will be out in full force as well.

i doubt the j-block made the trip.

TMJordan
01-15-2007, 03:34 AM
The J-Block doenst have the balls to show up.

rofe
01-15-2007, 03:36 AM
M-block, J-block all the same.

nobama
01-15-2007, 03:37 AM
I'll take this over Roddick having a go at the chair ump because he's pissed at himself for the way he's playing. :p

RickDaStick
01-15-2007, 03:37 AM
The J-Block doenst have the balls to show up.

no kidding they would get kiled down there and thats no exaggeration.

uglyamerican
01-15-2007, 03:51 AM

They will play Armenia in Davis Cup. Not only would that be bad tennis, there might be casualties.

TMJordan
01-15-2007, 03:52 AM
They will play Armenia in Davis Cup. Not only would that be bad tennis, there might be casualties.

:haha:

scoobs
01-15-2007, 04:00 AM
God, Baghdatis's fans are annoying. Last year it was sorta cute. But we're over that now.

el_croata
01-15-2007, 04:03 AM
God, Baghdatis's fans are annoying. Last year it was sorta cute. But we're over that now.

at least they don't sing "god save the queen"

Metis
01-15-2007, 04:08 AM

If Marcos wins you'll have to get used to it :p

Metis
01-15-2007, 04:11 AM
They will once Feli walks out on court. :D

:haha: :haha:

scoobs
01-15-2007, 04:12 AM
They will once Feli walks out on court. :D

I just spat tea all over my keyboard!!!

:lol:

scoobs
01-15-2007, 04:13 AM
If Marcos wins you'll have to get used to it :p

That's a big "if" right now.

Metis
01-15-2007, 04:15 AM
That's a big "if" right now.

I know... :scared:

Wake up Marcos!

uglyamerican
01-15-2007, 04:22 AM
I just spat tea all over my keyboard!!!

:lol:

What are you doing up so early in the morning?

OH, I assume you heard the news that the creator of Scooby Doo is dead, yes?

scoobs
01-15-2007, 04:23 AM
Old news.

I'm up watching the tennis.

Sometimes insomnia is your friend in mid January.

lleytonluver2005
01-15-2007, 06:59 AM
i was at the match baghdatis vs. Moya at this years Medibank International. His fans were have a go and booing at the people supporting Moya.

UncleZeke
01-15-2007, 07:07 AM
tennis fans seem to get more rowdy every year. but they've got some real hooligans at the AO.

Ernham
01-15-2007, 07:12 AM
These guys need to do something between prison terms and World Cups, i suppose.

Saumon
01-15-2007, 07:24 AM
they mentioned it briefly on the radio, what happened?

bokehlicious
01-15-2007, 07:34 AM

:yeah: thanks god they don't have upcoming young guns either...

Kalliopeia
01-15-2007, 09:58 AM
they mentioned it briefly on the radio, what happened?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6261985.stm

Bunch of Serbian and Croatian fans got into a brawl.

Sally_Jingles
01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Soccer hooligans? WTF are you chatting! These are tennis fans, hence the reason they're at the AO.

I can't stand soccer/footie haters who ain't got a clue or don't understand it.

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Marcos doesn't like them either .... :awww:

"There's a lot of pressure. Not by media or stuff, it's more like my group and stuff. I feel a bit of pressure from them," the 21-year-old said. "A lot of changes have happened. I mean, I don't feel very good. Just don't feel very good with my father here, my brother here, everybody is here.

"It's not in the court, it's just out of the court. I'm not happy. I'm not myself, so that's all. It's not like a normal tournament for me. I don't have the same routines with my coach and stuff. I will just try to deal with it and try to speak to them and find a way."

*Viva Chile*
01-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I thought "Hooligans" were only in britain :scratch:

bigbhoy
01-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Soccer hooligans? WTF are you chatting! These are tennis fans, hence the reason they're at the AO.

I can't stand soccer/footie haters who ain't got a clue or don't understand it.

If you looked at the a couple of the pics of the brawl...A large number on both sides has their countries football tops on.

As well as the Baghdatis ones in the crowd had Cyprus football tops on. Good player & love to watch him play because he brings a freshness to matches. However those in the crowd that sing & chant after every point (usually the exact same thing over & over) really does my nut in.

So I think that's why they have been referred to as footie fans, because lots of them were wearing their respective countries football tops.

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 06:47 PM

"There's a lot of pressure. Not by media or stuff, it's more like my group and stuff. I feel a bit of pressure from them," the 21-year-old said. "A lot of changes have happened. I mean, I don't feel very good. Just don't feel very good with my father here, my brother here, everybody is here.

"It's not in the court, it's just out of the court. I'm not happy. I'm not myself, so that's all. It's not like a normal tournament for me. I don't have the same routines with my coach and stuff. I will just try to deal with it and try to speak to them and find a way."
Baggy, like Nadal, seems to have lost a bit of his spark this year, and by that I mean the honeymoon's over and now they're starting to feel the pressure that success brings. Nadal is holding up so far but I worry about Baghdatis. He talks about it a lot and I fear that the constant pressure may prevent him from going as far as his talent could take him. I don't want him to become Safinated. :sad:

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Baggy, like Nadal, seems to have lost a bit of his spark this year, and by that I mean the honeymoon's over and now they're starting to feel the pressure that success brings. Nadal is holding up so far but I worry about Baghdatis. He talks about it a lot and I fear that the constant pressure may prevent him from going as far as his talent could take him. I don't want him to become Safinated. :sad:

Honestly, I felt Schuettler had a chance if he didn't tire so easily. Marcos did not even have his trademark grin much. Also, he will no longer fly under the radar. Nadal, well he has held up very well for much longer and in his case I think it is more that people are learning to play him better.

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 07:14 PM

"It's not in the court, it's just out of the court. I'm not happy. I'm not myself, so that's all. It's not like a normal tournament for me. I don't have the same routines with my coach and stuff. I will just try to deal with it and try to speak to them and find a way."Well he certainly egged them on at the end of his match, so if he doesn't like them, he's doing a darn good job of hiding it while he's on court :scratch:

JMG
01-15-2007, 07:18 PM
:yeah: thanks god they don't have upcoming young guns either...

They have Evren. :)

Metis
01-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Well he certainly egged them on at the end of his match, so if he doesn't like them, he's doing a darn good job of hiding it while he's on court :scratch:

Well he cannot ignore them. They were there to support him after all, whether he likes it or not. I think he is talking more about the whole experience which is different this time because the expectations are different this time. Last year he was having fun, this year he feels obligated to at least match last year's result. In addition to this, having his family with him, complicates things because he has to spend time with them. I am also assuming that various Greek groups in Melbourne want to meet him, organize dinners and other events for him, things that can affect his concentration and add more stress.

It reminds me of the Soccer World Cup that took place in the US. It was the first time Greece had qualified and many believe that the pathetic performance of the Greek team there was caused mostly by the lack of focus due to wasting their time attending various activities and events planned by the Greek American community.

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 07:35 PM
These Serb-Croat fans are really out of control.

Clijsters beats Jankovic - and crowd
January 13, 2007

SYDNEY'S tennis favourite, Kim Clijsters, was sensationally booed and jeered at and then given a rapturous cheer as she staged a remarkable comeback to counter the powerful game of rising Serbian star Jelena Jankovic in the final of the Sydney International last night.

World No.5 Clijsters, appearing in her last match in Sydney having foreshadowed her retirement this year, won the controversial match 4-6, 7-6, 6-4 after Jankovic lost her composure in the last set amid a mass of disputed line calls. Both women were in tears after the two hour, 27 minute match: Clijsters just thrilled with her amazing win that adds to her 2003 Sydney victory, and Jankovic pondering what might have been.

Jankovic seemingly had control late in the second set, up 5-4 and serving for the championship, but she couldn't counter Clijsters's experience, and quickly slumped as close decisions went against her.

While there was so much drama on the court, the rowdy battle in the stands was also theatrical and tension-packed. Umpire Lynn Welch had to repeatedly call for quiet in the stands and reprimand the crowd about their unsporting antics, which had tennis observers upset on behalf of Clijsters. :o

A small section of the capacity crowd, dressed in Serbian football attire, was pro-Jankovic, and jeering Clijsters no matter whether the point was being won or lost. :ras:

Commentator Kerryn Pratt said: "The vocal minority don't understand the tennis etiquette."

But Jankovic, too, was at times pushing the barrier of sportsmanship. The Serb has the lip-glossed pout, and boy did she use it last night as her remarkable nine-match winning streak this year, which included victory at the Auckland tournament last week, came to a hasty finish.

There was a sense of "the madame" about the 21-year-old, and it seems only a matter of time before she accumulates a string of trophies and becomes one of the most controversial figures in the game.

Jankovic questioned several calls, had a small spat with a ball boy, and glared fiercely at a lineswoman who had recanted a call. And on a couple of calls she disagreed with she ran her hand in front of her face as if to say "you can't see".

The non-Serbian element of the crowd, many of whom had started with a neutral view, quickly switched to support Clijsters, whose calm demeanour and classy play has attracted strong support from Australians ever since she started dating former boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt. :cool:

Jankovic began to lose her cool during the tie-breaker in the second set. She double faulted three times, and then with five break points to save, she inexplicably failed to respond to Clijsters's return of serve, thinking she had again served a fault.

Clijsters had come back from 5-4 down and was so thrilled at winning the set she clenched her fist and screamed "c'mon". Clijsters then shot ahead 4-0 in the third set, eventually wrapping it up 6-4.

Clijsters said during her acceptance speech that as soon as she walked out, she knew that there would be an atmosphere generated.

"We could have had a soccer ball out here," Clijsters said.

Jankovic said she was hoping that because it was Clijsters' last game in Sydney, she may have been generous enough to let her win. "But it didn't happen," Jankovic said.

My original comment may be snerked at but it proves true that the "soccer hooligan" element at these matches is a detriment to our game and these jerks really need to be ejected. They don't care about tennis, they just want to make a nuisance of themselves.

Loremaster
01-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah and everyone was complaining about US crowd especially after Blake-Roger at 2006 USOpen and Roddick - Nalbandian in 2003

But Crowd in Madrid (Berdych - Nadal match and Berdych - Gonzalez) was much worse, Greeks fans of Marcos last year were also bad, crowd in Sydney was disaster, but what has happened in AO this year is something the worst in tennis history, tennis should be friendly sport I understand that crowd want to cheer favourites so I can understand crown in Sydney, USOpen, AO last year and even in Madrid, what these is shocking all these fans should be banned from AO area and to be never allowed to AO again.

Grofica
01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
it is just a metter of time when will english hooligans switch to tennis matches because the majority of football matches are forbiden for them.........

Sally_Jingles
01-15-2007, 10:06 PM
If you looked at the a couple of the pics of the brawl...A large number on both sides has their countries football tops on.

As well as the Baghdatis ones in the crowd had Cyprus football tops on. Good player & love to watch him play because he brings a freshness to matches. However those in the crowd that sing & chant after every point (usually the exact same thing over & over) really does my nut in.

So I think that's why they have been referred to as footie fans, because lots of them were wearing their respective countries football tops.

Doesn't matter. They are there to watch the tennis, they are tennis fans. They are Croat/Serb SPORTS fans.

By your logic the Australian Fanatics must also be soccer fans.

Sally_Jingles
01-15-2007, 10:06 PM
it is just a metter of time when will english hooligans switch to tennis matches because the majority of football matches are forbiden for them.........

hahahahahaha get a brain.

Sally_Jingles
01-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I thought "Hooligans" were only in britain :scratch:

So what happened at Colo Colo games? South American footie has more violence than any other region.

Raquel
01-16-2007, 12:17 AM
no kidding they would get kiled down there and thats no exaggeration.
:lol: The Harvard degrees wouldn't be much good to them in that atmosphere.

The Baghdatis fans are not hooligans at all. They're boisterous but not mean spirited. The Serb and Croat fans are very proud of their players and it does feel like the fans treat it as a Davis Cup type match each time, but the players need to cope with that. Kim Clijsters got on with it. And it's no surprise to read Jankovic was playing up to the max which no doubt got the crowd even more whipped up in that Sydney final.

The fighting outside was unfortunate and lets face it, a bit of a freak incident for a tennis tournament, but where do we draw the line? Wear a national football strip = don't get in? As long as the fans are not literally fighting each other in the stadium, they've got as much right to be there and cheer as loud as they like, if they've paid their money. Short of ejecting people for shouting during a point there will be no way a ban could get enforced. And if someone dared to go into a large group of same country fans and tell someone to leave, they really would have a riot on their hands. Hopefully the Cilic-Bozoljac match will go by without anything too controversial.

RickDaStick
01-16-2007, 12:25 AM
:lol: The Harvard degrees wouldn't be much good to them in that atmosphere.

The Baghdatis fans are not hooligans at all. They're boisterous but not mean spirited. The Serb and Croat fans are very proud of their players and it does feel like the fans treat it as a Davis Cup type match each time, but the players need to cope with that. Kim Clijsters got on with it. And it's no surprise to read Jankovic was playing up to the max which no doubt got the crowd even more whipped up in that Sydney final.

The fighting outside was unfortunate and lets face it, a bit of a freak incident for a tennis tournament, but where do we draw the line? Wear a national football strip = don't get in? As long as the fans are not literally fighting each other in the stadium, they've got as much right to be there and cheer as loud as they like, if they've paid their money. Short of ejecting people for shouting during a point there will be no way a ban could get enforced. And if someone dared to go into a large group of same country fans and tell someone to leave, they really would have a riot on their hands. Hopefully the Cilic-Bozoljac match will go by without anything too controversial.

From what I understand there has always been an agreement between the 2 groups that Croats go Monday and Serbs Tuesday. The Serbs showed up looking for a fight and for the past week have been texting other serbs fans to come fight with them

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 12:26 AM
English Hooligans actually stick to foots...

tangerine_dream
01-16-2007, 05:14 PM
^^ The tough guy in flip-flops. :lol:

A bit of a black eye for AO. Brawls don't happen very often at tennis matches so I'm not surprised the media is all over it:

World's media pounce on Melbourne's hooligans
January 17, 2007

IN THE early morning, before a ball had been struck, a young line judge walked through the corridors under Rod Laver Arena, carrying her paperback novel — Jonathan Franzen's classic, The Corrections.

She'll have been hoping it wasn't an omen for her day at the office, though it was one for the Open in general. After the embarrassment of Monday's racial stoush, fans behaved well yesterday and nationalistic fervour was muted. But as the northern hemisphere awoke and opened its newspapers, the damage was already done.

Rene Groeneveld is a reporter for wire service the Netherlands Press Association. Fourteen major Dutch newspapers used his report about the violence.

"I was surprised by the interest back home," he says. "I only planned to mention it in passing but my news desk wanted a big story. There is lots of interest in multiculturalism and race conflict because we have had many similar problems in Holland, but never relating to tennis."

His piece thunders: "This fighting was an unusual sight in the world of tennis and one that will haunt the Australian Open for some time."

Groeneveld says his reports about "de hooligans" and those of other foreign media will be damaging for Australia and the tournament.

"Until recently there was not this image linked with Australia and trouble," he says. "But the Cronulla riots was a real eye-opener, everybody in Holland saw that and it generated interest. That interest is driving this story and now you are starting to develop a reputation you don't want."

Wade Roskan, is reporting for NOS, the Dutch equivalent of the ABC. His reports led the radio news across the country and were also prominent on TV. "This has been building here," says the veteran of 12 Australian Opens. "Each year I see the crowds get noisier, drink a little more, even the Australian fans draping the flags over the shoulders and all the other nationality flags as well. These problems happen everywhere in the world but this is a big story in Europe because it's the tennis. That is unheard of."

In Buenos Aires, Carlos Prieto reported in Clarin an "unprecedented riot" and "a phenomenon close to hooliganism".

"This is not what I expect in Melbourne and I've never seen this at tennis anywhere," he said.

"They act like they are fighting for some national pride but they are not struggling for independence for Croatia or Serbia, they are just stupid boys who have too much beer and want to fight."

In London's Independent, tennis writer Paul Newman made the violence the main topic of his piece. "Wimbledon it was not," he wryly began.

"Football (soccer) has helped to create a boisterous rivalry between some of the large ethnic groups who make up the Melbourne melting pot …"

Yesterday was quiet but from the world's media there would be no corrections. They had already written their headlines about Melbourne and its tennis.
In order to control these ethnic clashes at future matches I wonder if the old standby of racial profiling will be implemented? :confused:

Deboogle!.
01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
In order to control these ethnic clashes at future matches I wonder if the old standby of racial profiling will be implemented? :confused:how in the world would they do that?!?!?

tangerine_dream
01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
how in the world would they do that?!?!?
Easy. The drunken, loud, half-naked dudes with the Serbian flags drapped all over them. ;)

Deboogle!.
01-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Easy. The drunken, loud, half-naked dudes with the Serbian flags drapped all over them. ;)Unless people are doing something wrong I don't see how they could just not allow anyone with a Serbian or Croatian flag draped over them. :shrug: It would be wrong on a lot of levels.

Bloodletting
01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
So what happened at Colo Colo games? South American footie has more violence than any other region.

I think he talking about the old use of the name... of course, where most violence in the stands ocurr is in South America.

Nevertheless, the chilean fans that you usually see on international tournaments little have to do with football's "ultras" from here. The first ones are usually middle-class families that live abroad and have not too much tennis culture but like to feel a bit closer from home and that's why they are so loud with the flags and the chants. Anyway, you wouldn't see them making riots as most of them are middle-aged men and women with their childen and residents on those countries. Rios phenomenon was the first step for this.

In our case, at least, I believe it has more to do with inmigration than a direct link with football. Believe me- if you guys had REAL hooligans from Chile or Argentina on the international courts we would have been banned forever from the whole tennis world long ago. No coincidence that one of the most (if not the most) disastrous incidents ocurred in a tennis court, happened here. In that ocassion, there were REAL hooligans (and also cheap tickets, alcohol sold inside the stadium, and big rivalry heated up with the noble help of media and press).

Bloodletting
01-16-2007, 05:37 PM
to make up my point: there is a difference between this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHQM2VM3z8k

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d62wrxK9Zo

Hugh Jaas
01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
http://i14.tinypic.com/2myoqi0.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/48qbwqs.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/2m3muqp.jpg

RickDaStick
01-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Do you people realize you are posting the same pics over and over again?

almouchie
01-16-2007, 07:55 PM
any pics of the distrurbances

almouchie
01-16-2007, 07:56 PM
oops i just saw them

Grofica
01-16-2007, 08:58 PM
hahahahahaha get a brain.
it this the best you have? :haha: :haha:

scoobs
01-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Djoko's fans are making plenty of noise.

I wish they'd shut up - I don't think much of organised shoutalong chanting at tennis matches.

Metis
01-17-2007, 12:55 AM

I wish they'd shut up - I don't think much of organised shoutalong chanting at tennis matches.

I don't like it either. I found the chanting during Marcos's match very annoying mainly because it happened after almost every single point (although some of the rhiming chants were funny :D). I can't imagine how annoying it must be for the people sitting close to those groups in the stadium.

I am sure it will be even worse today since Marcos is playing in the night session.

scoobs
01-17-2007, 12:58 AM
A little bit every now and then wouldn't be so bad...but after every point...holding play up...do be quiet.

Miss Croft
01-17-2007, 01:10 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/01/16/js15fight07_wideweb__470x380,0.jpg
it's mtf in person!

how immature :lol: it's like little boys playing star wars.

where did they get the sticks from?

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 01:23 AM

I wish they'd shut up - I don't think much of organised shoutalong chanting at tennis matches.The Serbian fans were pretty obnoxious in Sydney as well... even during Kim's speech. She was like, can i please just have a minute to thank these people for the last time?

I think part of it is that these countries are so new to tennis, they just maybe don't realize it's not the same as at a soccer game? It's great that they're excited and coming out to support their guys, but it'd be nice if they at least had a little bit of the tennis etiquette.

scoobs
01-17-2007, 01:26 AM
We even have chanters out there for Federer-Bjorkman... WTF???

Socket
01-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Why were these kids allowed onto the grounds with sticks anyway? What possible purpose could they have had for carrying sticks, other than to cause trouble? Big mistake by security.

Metis
01-17-2007, 01:32 AM
We even have chanters out there for Federer-Bjorkman... WTF???

They could learn a thing or two from Marcos' fan group though. They are not very well organized. :lol:

cmurray
01-17-2007, 01:38 AM
The Serbian fans were pretty obnoxious in Sydney as well... even during Kim's speech. She was like, can i please just have a minute to thank these people for the last time?

I think part of it is that these countries are so new to tennis, they just maybe don't realize it's not the same as at a soccer game? It's great that they're excited and coming out to support their guys, but it'd be nice if they at least had a little bit of the tennis etiquette.

That's just......rotten. I cannot imagine anyone jeering Kim Clijsters.

As for the chanting. I don't mind a little of it. The Greek supporters at least were good-natured about it and in small doses, it adds a little....festivity to the sport. Of course, after awhile it gets on ones nerves. Alas, I'll take that any day of the week over a bunch a bad-tempered people just looking for any reason to start a fight.

Ernham
01-17-2007, 03:15 AM
Speaking of chanters, I haven't heard this yet at the AO, but at all the French/Spanish tournaments, I can always hear people making these weird "weeeoo-weeoo" type sounds. WTF is up with that. So damn annoying to hear after/before every point.

Chrisie
01-17-2007, 03:19 AM
I don't like it either. I found the chanting during Marcos's match very annoying mainly because it happened after almost every single point (although some of the rhiming chants were funny :D). I can't imagine how annoying it must be for the people sitting close to those groups in the stadium.

I am sure it will be even worse today since Marcos is playing in the night session.

No wonder people trade tickets with Marcos's fan club, so they can confine them to one part of the stand.;)

_pyromatic
01-17-2007, 03:50 AM
I read in a blog that they've got extra security for Ancic now. Has anyone else heard about this?

chewy
01-17-2007, 05:48 AM
i think the chantings/cheers/singing from fans isnt a negative thing aslong as they behave with common sense. Bagdatis supporters r fine i reckon. i dont see a problem in the matches ive seen them in.

Metis
01-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Marcos' fans are in full force tonight :lol:

scarecrows
01-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Speaking of chanters, I haven't heard this yet at the AO, but at all the French/Spanish tournaments, I can always hear people making these weird "weeeoo-weeoo" type sounds. WTF is up with that. So damn annoying to hear after/before every point.

you forgot

'popopopopooooo.....OLE!'

Metis
01-17-2007, 09:55 AM
If I were Marcos I would have already gotten a headache from all the chanting.

Or maybe it's the sleep deprivation talking. :lol:

uglyamerican
01-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I read in a blog that they've got extra security for Ancic now. Has anyone else heard about this?

That's just to prevent him from getting into a slap-fight with Paul Capdeville.

Experimentee
01-17-2007, 01:44 PM
The singing and chanting adds a great atmosphere that you dont get at a lot of tournaments. It happens at a lot of matches and I find it fun.

tangerine_dream
01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
The only good news about Baggy losing is that he'll be taking his Greek chorus back home with him.

Raquel
01-17-2007, 08:51 PM
The only good news about Baggy losing is that he'll be taking his Greek chorus back home with him.
What was so wrong with them though? They weren't *that* bad. They weren't as loud as the Croat and Serb fans and were no worse than the J-Block.

Duleml
01-17-2007, 09:00 PM
i was just reading the statement of Ilija Bozoljac after match with Cilic

"match started very late at 11pm, many Serbian fans left by then, and the rest were outnumbered by Croats. At the begging of the match they were calling me Chetnik and saying "We'll kill you". I didnt pay much attention...it just made me more determined. But all those croatians left when Marin lost first set and his serve in second. They didnt come for tennis but to make troubles"

Also today Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic asked fans to be reasonable and to cheer in fairness. They were both shocked by fights.

RickDaStick
01-17-2007, 09:19 PM
i was just reading the statement of Ilija Bozoljac after match with Cilic

"match started very late at 11pm, many Serbian fans left by then, and the rest were outnumbered by Croats. At the begging of the match they were calling me Chetnik and saying "We'll kill you". I didnt pay much attention...it just made me more determined. But all those croatians left when Marin lost first set and his serve in second. They didnt come for tennis but to make troubles"

Also today Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic asked fans to be reasonable and to cheer in fairness. They were both shocked by fights.

Cry me a river bozo

scoobs
01-17-2007, 10:25 PM
you forgot

'popopopopooooo.....OLE!'

God - when will THAT get old...?

Sally_Jingles
01-17-2007, 10:35 PM
It's just pathetic the way all of the troublemakers are 'soccer' hooligans. They aren't- period.