gusman890
01-15-2007, 02:37 AM
first bagel of 07 :)

Jimnik
01-15-2007, 02:38 AM
I don't believe it.

Hoon
Nice fight from Bjorn, though. Federer was just too good.

Can anyone who recorded this match upload it, please????

new-york
:sobbing:

well, bad draw, Bjorn, some nice points from you.:cool:

nobama
01-15-2007, 02:39 AM
4 breaks of serve. :tape: I hope he's got that out of his system. :o

LLeytonRules
01-15-2007, 02:45 AM
Fed will need to step it up.Phau pushed him but he came back but he was very sloppy in this match.

UncleZeke
01-15-2007, 02:47 AM
had to work a little in first set, then, business as usual.

Peacemaster
01-15-2007, 02:57 AM
Good start for Federer. Not the best though. He should have closed it out much quicker. Man, can this Phau guy run or what!?

Sjengster
01-15-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm pretty sure a top player sometime in the recent past, it may have been Agassi, described Phau as one of the fastest guys he'd ever seen on a tennis court, and it was in evidence today - the number of times he threw up defensive lobs from impossible positions was remarkable. Best of all had to be that point at the end of the first set, that should go in a highlight reel for Day 1 for sure.

scoobs
01-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Well it wasn't pretty but he got there in the end - he was more then usually grumpy with himself today, at one point saying to himself loudly "nice shot, idiot"

He had to work hard for it, it wasn't coming easily, but he's in R2 and that's good enough for now.

Peacemaster
01-15-2007, 03:03 AM
I'm pretty sure a top player sometime in the recent past, it may have been Agassi, described Phau as one of the fastest guys he'd ever seen on a tennis court, and it was in evidence today - the number of times he threw up defensive lobs from impossible positions was remarkable. Best of all had to be that point at the end of the first set, that should go in a highlight reel for Day 1 for sure.

Yep, it was Agassi. Actually, Cahill mentioned it during the match. He said that Andre came off the court once after playing Phau and said that the dude was probably the quickest player he ever played.

Bremen
01-15-2007, 03:04 AM
I expect Fed to pick up his game as the week progresses. 1 bagel already this season...in his first match! That's a good sign at least.

Peacemaster
01-15-2007, 03:16 AM
I noticed something during Roger Federer's first round match:

HE SUCKS...

...in air when he breaths in through his mouth.

scoobs
01-15-2007, 03:20 AM
It's humor, folks, but not as we know it.

Peacemaster
01-15-2007, 03:29 AM
It's humor, folks, but not as we know it.

Touché. And well said. I've had one too many, obviously. :) Have a another go at me, if you like. These threads are getting way too serious.

rofe
01-15-2007, 03:30 AM
The commentators were saying something about blisters on Fed's foot. Anyone know more about that?

nobama
01-15-2007, 03:34 AM
The commentators were saying something about blisters on Fed's foot. Anyone know more about that?From the pics it looks like he was having his foot retaped.

celia
01-15-2007, 03:36 AM
Good start for Federer. Not the best though. He should have closed it out much quicker.

then again, we say this every year. :p

congrats Rog. :kiss:

Peacemaster
01-15-2007, 03:44 AM
The commentators were saying something about blisters on Fed's foot. Anyone know more about that?

I just watched Fowler interview Federer. The idiot didn't ask him about the blisters. One funny moment though: Fowler brought up Roddick's win in Kooyong and Roger, with a big grin on his face, said that he hopes to get a shot at Roddick in the semi and sort of "even the score". He was having an obvious problem keeping a straight face when he made that comment.

About the blisters: they do not appear to be serious or there would be hundreds of articles on it by now.

Allez
01-15-2007, 04:51 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

---Benny---
01-15-2007, 04:52 AM
Consistent start Roger :D I hope Björn played well though :D

Fedever
01-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Some of you are talking as if you saw the whole match from start to finish.
If so, can you please tell me in which country and on what channel?

I was infuriated that they showed the Roddick match first on ESPN here in the US. I was hoping to see Federer, but only got to see a few games of the match and then the very end!!!!:mad:

Please tell me where you saw the whole match.

Thanks!

Metis
01-15-2007, 05:49 AM
^^^ I watched it on Sopcast (free livestream) on channel 6029 (Star Sports). They showed the complete Mauresmo match as well.

Peacemaster
01-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Some of you are talking as if you saw the whole match from start to finish.
If so, can you please tell me in which country and on what channel?

Star Sports, net feed on Sopcast, every single point.

rrfnpump
01-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Björni :awww: :hug: :inlove:

he played some nice points... served for the first set at 5-4 and had GP to make it 5-5 in the third set!

Fedever
01-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Thank you Metis and Peacemaster for the info on where I can view tennis matches in their entirety. I never knew about this site. Very cool!!!:wavey:

Thanks!:)

bokehlicious
01-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Job done Roger, now step it up !

jazar
01-15-2007, 06:49 AM
bjorn must be devastated. his H2h lead over roger is gone :sad:

ufokart
01-15-2007, 06:52 AM
The first set was pretty fun :lol:, the rest was terribly boring :o

CooCooCachoo
01-15-2007, 06:56 AM
:sobbing: Björn, but it was to be expected ;)

Roger :yeah:

Apemant
01-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Fed was strangely nervous at the beginning of the match, resulting in some crazy statistics (got broken 3 times in a set :eek: , but broke back 4 times :worship: ). Some of those are to Bjorn's credit but Fed was also spraying UEs all around. Then, at 3-5 down in the 1st set, he decided to kill the suspense and won 11 next games, making like 2-3 UEs in the process. Steamroll :devil: . I had the impression he could break him anytime and never actually doubted he might lose a set. Just too good when on fire... only his own psyche can stop him, actually.

bokehlicious
01-15-2007, 08:04 AM
the rest was terribly boring :o

I can't recall reading an MTF Fed post match thread without this word... Haters keep it goin' and goin'... :zzz:

ufokart
01-15-2007, 08:11 AM
I can't recall reading an MTF Fed post match thread without this word... Haters keep it goin' and goin'... :zzz:

Why if i find his matches boring, i have to be a hater :retard:

Apemant
01-15-2007, 08:15 AM

Which means you find UEs interesting, but pure work of art - boring. I guess it's a matter of taste. :devil:

ufokart
01-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Which means you find UEs interesting, but pure work of art - boring. I guess it's a matter of taste. :devil:

I find knowing that he already won the match before it starts, boring.

But that doesn't mean i hate him or something :lol:

bokehlicious
01-15-2007, 08:25 AM

Ok, let me rephrase, if you're not a hater you're obviously jealous... :)

ufokart
01-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Ok, let me rephrase, if you're not a hater you're obviously jealous... :)

:haha:
Whatever you say mate :wavey:

silverarrows
01-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Fedever, I saw the match from start to finish. ;)
Philippines-Star Sports South East Asia, Global Destiny Cable Channel 67.

Federer only started to wake-up when Phau is serving for the set in the 1st set. (5-4). He was broken thrice in the first set by Phau. :eek: After that set it's business as usual. :worship: From what I saw on TV, Fed suffered minor blisters in his left foot and the trainor taped it. I think he's fine. :)

Art&Soul
01-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Way to go ROGI ehe

adee-gee
01-15-2007, 08:43 AM
*nods*

Apemant
01-15-2007, 08:59 AM

Wasn't implying that, really.

It's ok, you know. If you want suspense, obviously you won't get that watching Federer steamroll over someone not named Nadal. Like I said, everyone has their preferences. You like suspense, I like watching Fed hit winners from all possible angles, even if it means the scoreline will be 7-5 6-0 6-4.

JustmeUK
01-15-2007, 09:43 AM
it was fairly straightforward in the end. I think Roger S&V'd more in the first set which to an extent made it closer than it should have been. his groundstrokes were also misfiring but by the third set he'd found his range and (to my mind) was S&Ving less. all in all, he did enough and I'm sure is pacing himself for the second week.

Volcanic Tennis
01-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Phau :hug: :drool: :hug: You played well

t0x
01-15-2007, 09:58 AM
What a crappy first set from Federer, he was spraying errors everywhere.

But then he seemed to sort it out, he made hardly any errors in set 2 which was a brilliant display really (although I felt a tad sorry for Phau).

musefanatic
01-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I heard this was 'erratic' from federer, Phau's not that bad a player really so maybe Rog was a bit complacent. Well done to him anyway :)

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Mr. Ego will fall.

Nadal will win.

The messiah will be correct.

Fedex
01-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Mr. Ego will fall.

Nadal will win.

The messiah will be correct.
Ah, we will be rid of you soon enough. :)

prock
01-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Horrible match in >90% of the first set. Much better level in the second, and then again, a minor lapse in the third.
Phau is fast, and I can see why he trounced Federer the previous time they played - too aggressive, too fast, too powerful for a 'greenie' Fed. But, all in all, I find his game quite boring. So, I guess, Federer saved the match for me.
OTOH, kudos to Bjorn for putting up a fight for as long as he could.

denisgiann
01-15-2007, 01:59 PM
i have a better punishment for you adee gee:If Rafa loses before the quarters, you wont leave,but you will stay and praise Roger in every post you make.I think that will be a fitting punishment for you:D .

landoud
01-15-2007, 02:32 PM
well done Rogi

+alonso
01-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Great Fight from Bjorn, the 1st set was really entertaining from 3-3 ;)
So sad, He couldn't serve the set out, Anyways Federer played some good shots so There's no choke :D

Congrats Fed

Peacemaster
01-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Blisters update: there were none. Roger mentioned in his press conference that he just took off the tapes from his ankles because they weren't sitting right. That explains why he stamped his foot once or twice during that first set. No worries.

Rogiman
01-15-2007, 03:52 PM
If Novak has the fitness I would say he has a reasonable chance of taking Federer out in the 4th round.

tennisgal_001
01-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, Fed got the job done which is basically what matters in the first round of a Slam. Plus serving up a bagel in your first competitive match of the season is never a bad sign. Good to hear about his ankles.

FSRteam
01-15-2007, 04:14 PM
If Novak has the fitness I would say he has a reasonable chance of taking Federer out in the 4th round.

I unfortunately have to agree!!! :(

For what they've shown today, nole has been the most impressive player...

fed'd better watch out!

Apemant
01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I unfortunately have to agree!!! :(

For what they've shown today, nole has been the most impressive player...

fed'd better watch out!

Novak is fearless; he is also quite good a player overall, but his mental toughness is the most formidable of his qualities. Exactly the type Federer hates to play against: people you can't scare with your wizardry, as they will fight to the last point without losing hope they might eventually win. Most other guys get so demoralized by Fed's abilities that they mentally give up. Even if they continue to 'fight' on a purely physical level, you can see in their body language that they no longer have any hopes for a positive result.

Rogi will need all his weapons to get past him.

rofe
01-15-2007, 05:52 PM

So does Jonas Bjorkman in the 2nd.

Rogiman
01-15-2007, 05:58 PM
So does Jonas Bjorkman in the 2nd.Hmmm... no!

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Novak does have a chance of course, but Fed has this habit of playing "just enough energy to win" in the first few rounds and he probably discounted Phau a little too much yesterday.
Yes, if he plays like this he will not beat Novak. But if he plays like this, he will not reach R4 to beat Novak.

feuselino
01-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Man, the Djokovic bandwagon picks up steem... if they shall meet, will Roger be the underdog? ;)

the answer
01-15-2007, 06:06 PM
So now Roger has to fear Djokovic :rolleyes:

nobama
01-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Man, the Djokovic bandwagon picks up steem... if they shall meet, will Roger be the underdog? ;)To some worry wart Fed fans, yes.

RogiFan88
01-15-2007, 06:41 PM
So does Jonas Bjorkman in the 2nd.

and what of Juanqui in the 3rd? :lol:

Loremaster
01-15-2007, 06:48 PM
He played bad , lost serve 4 times , but still it means nothing as long as he is in tournament,

It was first round and he will raise his level that is sure. Novak will give him hard time as well as Baggy/Gasquet. We will see how he playes against Bjorkman and Ferrero, maybe he is off form at the start of the season what it is to early to say that.

rofe
01-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Hmmm... no!

Since you said reasonable chance - why not?

Misha/Ferrero also have a reasonable chance of beating him if he gets by Bjorkman.

Why single out Novak? Has he proven that he is better than these guys at a GS ? :shrug:

FedFan
01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Djokovic is a very talented player and has a good chance to take out Federer, if he doesn't rise his game. But Youzhny will also be a big danger in my opinion.

Djokovic has shown very good results lately, but was not always consistent. Remember his straight set defeat against Hewitt in the US Open, and you know what I mean. But at a given day anything seems possible, if he has the mental and physical strength.

rofe
01-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Djokovic is a very talented player and has a good chance to take out Federer, if he doesn't rise his game. But Youzhny will also be a big danger in my opinion.

Djokovic has shown very good results lately, but was not always consistent. Remember his straight set defeat against Hewitt in the US Open, and you know what I mean. But at a given day anything seems possible, if he has the mental and physical strength.

The last time they played, Fed won easily so I don't know what the fuss is all about. He has not yet proved his GS credentials. His last good run was in the FO where he was losing to Nadal quite easily until he pulled out due to injury.

I still fail to see why he should be considered more dangerous than Bjorkman who has recently been in a GS semi-finals.

richie21
01-15-2007, 08:59 PM

which top players did he beat??:o

Fedex
01-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Man, the Djokovic bandwagon picks up steem... if they shall meet, will Roger be the underdog? ;)
He is certainly in the running for the Bandwagon Player of the Month award. :)