Roddick's behavior is appalling!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick's behavior is appalling!!

Pages : [1] 2

yomeK
01-15-2007, 12:01 AM
OMG! Is anyone else seeing this match? Why does he have to behave like a hooligan?! :rolleyes: He just cursed at Tsonga after winning the point @ 8-9. Totally uncalled for! :rolleyes:

Go Tsonga! :woohoo:

RickDaStick
01-15-2007, 12:04 AM
I agree. Roddicks embarrasing himself right now. He keeps staring Tsogna down and talking shit to him

mangoes
01-15-2007, 12:06 AM
I do think that Andy needs to chill out a bit.........

yomeK
01-15-2007, 12:07 AM
I agree. Roddicks embarrasing himself right now. He keeps staring Tsogna down and talking shit to him

He's a classless hog. I hope that Tsonga wins this set to teach him a lesson. His behavior is totally irrelevant. :rolleyes:

soraya
01-15-2007, 12:08 AM
wow! the tsonga guy is unbelievable. Where has he been?

El Legenda
01-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Vamos Andy!

Saumon
01-15-2007, 12:09 AM

bad injuries

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 12:09 AM
I think this is andy's way of pumping him up. He really chewed Murray out in Cincy, and they were apparently friends prior to that (I imagine, until Wimbledon!). But he looked him in the face and pulled out some f***'s and other stuff during the Cincy match. I saw Murray's face on TV, quite confused and stunned. THis is just his way of pumping himself up, but it is a bit over the top.

Smankyou
01-15-2007, 12:11 AM
why the fuck are the showing the women? im firing everyone at channel seven.

yomeK
01-15-2007, 12:12 AM
I think this is andy's way of pumping him up. He really chewed Murray out in Cincy, and they were apparently friends prior to that (I imagine, until Wimbledon!). But he looked him in the face and pulled out some f***'s and other stuff during the Cincy match. I saw Murray's face on TV, quite confused and stunned. THis is just his way of pumping himself up, but it is a bit over the top.

When you have to scream f**** at your opponent in order to "pump" yourself up, I think it's time to check yourself into a rehab center. That's no excuse. :confused: I'm really perturbed by his behavior.

Allez et Tsonga!! :woohoo: He just got the 1st set. He may not win the match, but I am so elated he got the 1st set :inlove: Hopefully Andy will calm down and start atcing more humane. :D

soraya
01-15-2007, 12:13 AM

Tasteless nevertheless:o

Macbrother
01-15-2007, 12:14 AM
lol he called Tsonga a fucking prick at one point after like a 5-point volley exchange. Wtf was up with that?

Anyways, Tsonga is playing absolutely phenomenal, serving and hitting huge, even under pressure. Hats off!:yeah:

Sunset of Age
01-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Tasteless nevertheless:o

Yep. Now, VAMOS, Tsonga!!!

Byrd
01-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Roddick needs some tissues, the guy keeps crying to the umpire too much, now the umpire is scared to overrule obvious shots that are out.

Mistaflava
Bunch of haters here.

Roddick plays with emotion unlike Roger Federer.

If it wasn't for guys like Roddick who have character, the sport of tennis would be dead in the water.

Would love to Roddick throw his racket at Tsonga for entertainment purposes.

mangoes

He has impressed me too. Played some of those big points really well. But, I think exhaustion will catch up to him soon.

Metis
why the fuck are the showing the women? im firing everyone at channel seven.

Because Mauresmo is a more interesting player than Roddick plus she is the defending champion? :)

soraya
01-15-2007, 12:17 AM
bad injuries

He will sure be my bandwagon of the month;)

pascal'rG
01-15-2007, 12:17 AM
This roddick show no respect for his opponent.

It's a shame.... he's so arrogant :eek:

I barely can support to watch him...

Congrats for winning the first set young man and hope you can teach him some manners :rolleyes:

bluefork
01-15-2007, 12:18 AM
He's always been like this. I don't understand it. It's totally un-called for and there's no excuse for it. Did his parents never tell him off for this type of behavior when he was younger?

nobama
01-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Bunch of haters here.

If it wasn't for guys like Roddick who have character, the sport of tennis would be dead in the water.

You call cursing at your opponent character? :rolleyes:

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Am I watching the same match you all are?;)

Freddi22cl
01-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Bunch of haters here.

this clown has obviosuly never played the game

:rolleyes:

Federer doesn't play with emotion?...oh okay......

Yappa
01-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Uh no, cry me a river. ;)

Seriously, both behave like sh...
Tsonga also showed his fist to Roddick after he had made UEs.

Great atmosphere. :)

scoobs
01-15-2007, 12:22 AM
So there's a bit of needle.

I don't much like it but if they want to get all machismo, so what.

Saumon
Am I watching the same match you all are?;)

i'm watching mauresmo choking and you? :p

Byrd
Uh no, cry me a river.

Seriously, both behave like sh...
Tsonga is also showing his fist to Roddick after he made UEs.

He's celebrating points, not calling someone a dick.

Neely
01-15-2007, 12:23 AM
The only thing which is appalling for me are such sissies who continously complain about every little thing a player does on or off the court. Wow, he cursed at him! Wow, he showed him the fist after winning an important point! Wow, he stared him down! he looked at him and gave him a not friendly glance, right? :lol: Unbelievable.... :zzz: :crazy:
Go and watch ballet or chess :cool:

Sunset of Age
01-15-2007, 12:24 AM

Me too. Ugh. Finish it, Momo! I want to see Rogelio, and it's 2:20 AM over here by now!!!

yomeK
Bunch of haters here.

Hate is a strong word, but I really, really, really, don't like him. I think the sport of tennis can do without his persona. Give me Safin, Baghdatis, Murray, Blake, Trusonov, Serena and Venus. Heck give me Sharapova :tape:. These players have a lot of personlaity, but they don't need to degrade their opponents by cursing at them and staring them down to make themselves feel better and 'pump' themselves up. Roddick's a classless pig.

I have always wondered why doesn't Roddick act the way he's acting against a player like Federer. :angel:

Breakaway
Andy has been acting really bad, it's really sad to see. "Pumping" yourself up by cussing and taunting your opponent is not right imo. It's not the only time I've seen Andy do this either, which I don't mean to harp I just think he needs to pump himself up some other way. Because I don't think he is like this in person. Tsonga is playing really good, and keeping a surprising level head through all this. :)

Yappa
01-15-2007, 12:25 AM
If Safin did it, it would be ok. ;)

zicofirol
01-15-2007, 12:26 AM
he is a punk that is why tennis fans cant stand him...

The Daviator
01-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Roddick's such an ass :mad:

Allez Jo-Wilfried :banana: :rocker2:

Loremaster
01-15-2007, 12:28 AM
I am Andy fan and I don't like it , but Tsonga is not much better, pumping fist after UE, showing it to Andy etc.

cobalt60

I am watching Tsonga vs Arod and enjoying every bit of it. Emotion and all. And I know my eyesight sucks but I can't hear any swears and it looks more to me that ARod is trying to pump himself up not actually swearing at his opponent. Tsonga is looking damn good:p

Flibbertigibbet

So true, but it's possible Safin might do it in Spanish or Russian so many of us won't get the full blast. :lol:

Saumon
01-15-2007, 12:29 AM

Safin only curses at Marat :angel:

Yappa
So true, but it's possible Safin might do it in Spanish or Russian so many of us won't get the full blast. :lol:

I admit that I wouldn't have been surprised if Roddick had gotten a warning for calling a lines call "bullsh...".

cobalt60

Ah yes. Human nature is all about double standards and hypocritical behavior;) I for one am enjoying this lovely standard of tennis :banana: from both players.:p

2moretogo
01-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Love ya Andy, but you are acting like a classless idiot! Anyhoo, I don't mind that they showed Momo v. Perry. ESPN thought she was about to serve it out and she didn't. We are back to Andy after the break. I'm pissed that the Chargers lost.

Cat9
01-15-2007, 12:30 AM
The announcers said they were yelling at each other..so Tsongas must have said something too. Andy just doesn't curse someone for nothing. Whether you like the behavior or not, he usually has a reason.

scoobs
01-15-2007, 12:31 AM
What did people expect would happen with Connors on board?

That Roddick would take to wearing a smoking jacket and quoting Milton and JD Salinger?

Connors was a streetfighter - naturally that's impressing himself upon Roddick.

MissPovaFan
awww I can't see how Roddick is behaving too badly

HappyAndie
I like it. It would be so boring if everyone behaved all the time. People complain that tennis is not popular, yet when some type of drama unfolds, people complain about it. You can't have it both ways.

soraya
01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
He has impressed me too. Played some of those big points really well. But, I think exhaustion will catch up to him soon.

He looks very fit to me :wavey:

Kalliopeia
01-15-2007, 12:33 AM

SPeaking as someone who can't stand Roddick and his behavior and loves Marat...no it wouldn't. :)

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 12:34 AM
What you are wimps crying on about now? Roddick cursing? Showing some emotion? Oh dear, the earth just shook again.

I don't know how you guys get through your day without being horrified by the realities of life. :lol:

yomeK
01-15-2007, 12:35 AM
God doesn't like ugly, and Roddick's behavior is very ugly. :o

MissPovaFan
Not looking good for Roddick he needs to get his act together asap

*Viva Chile*
Allez Jo-Wilfried!!!!

RickDaStick
01-15-2007, 12:36 AM
:rolleyes: Looks like Duckman really worked hard on his return game in the offseason

Cat9
01-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Safin only curses at Marat

Not true. He also curses pregnant tournament officials. Remember that? Had Roddick done that, they'd be burning him in effigy.

Rogiman
01-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Lovely tennis though :D

Tough luck for Roddick, you never know what you'll get with these 1st rounders...

vamosnadal
01-15-2007, 12:37 AM
I really love Roddick, am not normally anti-him at all. However, his attitude has stunk during this match and it's the reason he's losing right now. (well in addition to the amazing Tsonga!) It really is dragging down Andy's game and it's so bloody frustrating to watch!

Shrinking Violet
01-15-2007, 12:38 AM
I don't like Roddick when he acts like this. First time I really noticed it was when he played Murray at Cincy and it was like a different guy. I always used to enjoy watching him because he came across pretty classy and humourous on court and it just seems really false and classless. I just don't like it. Yell at yourself, yell at the umpire, smash some rackets, swear, whack a ball out the stadium but don't start staring guys down, whacking balls at them, making snidey comments and swearing at them.

Especially when you're a top ten player playing a guy ranked 200 odds. Show a little class.

Cat9
01-15-2007, 12:38 AM
This Tsongas kid sure is a cutie

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 12:39 AM
This is unreal.... Tsonga taking it to andy big time

*Viva Chile*
01-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Safin only curses at Marat

Not true. He also curses pregnant tournament officials. Remember that? Had Roddick done that, they'd be burning him in effigy.

when was that??? any proves??

Horatio Caine
01-15-2007, 12:43 AM
The only thing which is appalling for me are such sissies who continously complain about every little thing a player does on or off the court. Wow, he cursed at him! Wow, he showed him the fist after winning an important point! Wow, he stared him down! he looked at him and gave him a not friendly glance, right? :lol: Unbelievable.... :zzz: :crazy:

:worship:

Smankyou
01-15-2007, 12:44 AM
plus she is the defending champion? :)
No excuse. I didn't take the day off work to watch piss weak tennis.

sykotique
01-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Why is it I've never heard of this guy? On this showing alone, it looks like he's got loads of talent.

Rogiman
Wow, Tsonga does some great tankjob :rolleyes:

Horatio Caine
Roddick wouldn't dare get in a handbag fight with Almagro :tape:

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 12:46 AM
What did people expect would happen with Connors on board?

That Roddick would take to wearing a smoking jacket and quoting Milton and JD Salinger?

Connors was a streetfighter - naturally that's impressing himself upon Roddick.
I know people like to point at Connors and blame Roddick's behavior on him but fact is, Roddick has always been like this. He's always cursed and yelled to pump himself up when he's down. That people still pretend to be shocked by it (while letting just-as-bad-behavior from the likes of Safin or Chela slide) shocks me.

:bowdown:

Cat9
when was that??? any proves??

He was actually fined over it. It was at Miami. Safin threw a hissy fit over the tournament's refusal to replace a complimentary luxury car that was involved in a fender bender with Safin. Marat wanted a replacement and they said no and he ripped a female tournament rep. Called her a bitch or c*nt, can't remember which.

Loremaster
Why Roddicks always have such players in 1st round(USOpen 2005??) at leat he broke him to save 2nd set , 2-0 to love wouldn't be good

Shrinking Violet
Tsonga kinda bottled it there. What a weak game.

2moretogo
This match just keeps getting interesting Tsonga is french indeed!

Snowwy
01-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Its nice to see the emotion but he doesnt really need to be swearing at his opponents, but I love the emotion, its a nice change from his game whne he was struggling.

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 12:48 AM

:) Would you not say that this affects the player's concentration more than his opponents? :shrug: Sort of a self destruct mode. The only behavior I don't like on court is purposely appearing to cheat your opponent or destroy their concentration. Let up on Andy he appears to only be hurting himself.
That first set was great tennis.

new-york
01-15-2007, 12:50 AM
didn't expect a good draw with a wc but Roddick again in the 1st rd is not being lucky.

snif.

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 12:51 AM
Why is it I've never heard of this guy? On this showing alone, it looks like he's got loads of talent.

In 2003 he was the second ranked junior behind Gasquet. He has been injured but I don't know for how long or what was injured.

Eve83
01-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Why Roddicks always have such players in 1st round(USOpen 2005??) at leat he broke him to save 2nd set , 2-0 to love wouldn't be good

That´s because Muller and Tsonga both are players created by evil Roddick-hating MTF-members. It´s all voodoo!!! Trrrrust me;)

yomeK
01-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Like omg. ESPN is behind the scorebaord :eek::o

NYCtennisfan
01-15-2007, 12:56 AM
His serving and hitting in the 1st set was incredible. It is very difficult to hit 30 winners in a match and especially so when your opponent serves as big as Roddick and doesn't allow you to play on his 1st serve points (although Tsonga has won a lto of those points as well).

El Legenda
no live scoring in GM thread..

BAN

tangerine_dream
That first set was great tennis.
I agree. Tsonga was brilliant in that first set. This second set is a disaster, both players shanking everything, missing easy shots. Blech.

Cat9
01-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Hey, anybody able to get this streaming from ESPN? They have a link but all I get are packaged interview shorts. Do you have to pay or something?

soraya
01-15-2007, 01:01 AM
Too bad the kiddo is showing signs of fatigue.

Loremaster
01-15-2007, 01:03 AM
OK , Tsonga look tired now, making tons of silly errors it could be all over.

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 01:04 AM
I agree. Tsonga was brilliant in that first set. This second set is a disaster, both players shanking everything, missing easy shots. Blech.

And the PATS squeaked out a win :woohoo: :p

gusman890
01-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Colts vs Pats, GO INDY!!!

on topic: Roddick's confidence will be on fire if he wins this match.

2moretogo
01-15-2007, 01:07 AM
ESPN switched to Roger, making Rome an easy choice. Nothing against Roger he's one of my favs, but I am sure that I will be seeing A LOT of him over the fortnight.

Roddick hung in there and Tsonga stopped constructing points. Go Roddick and Tsonga! Sucks that I guy with this much talent has had so many injuries.

NicoFan
01-15-2007, 01:08 AM

Neely - You are my hero. :worship:

:lol:

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 01:09 AM
And the PATS squeaked out a win :woohoo: :p
I know *squeals* :yippee:

Great. I've now also missed the season premiere of '24'. :sobbing: Why do Sunday nights have to be so jam packed with good TV to watch?

Metis
01-15-2007, 01:09 AM
No excuse. I didn't take the day off work to watch piss weak tennis.

That's your problem I guess. You should have checked with the TV channel for their intended schedule. There are a lot of people who prefer Mauresmo to Roddick...

sawan66278
01-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Tsonga....if I'm a tennis coach with any ability, I would RUN to coach this young man...obviously the lack of experience and fitness are showing, but the talent is certainly there...The French federation needs to back this guy...focus on Gasquet and him...forget Monfils!!!!!!!!

And Roddick...typical "ugly American" display...Emotion is one thing: watch the players in the NFL...acting like a thug is something else...Try that in the U.S. (in the pros, college, or on the playground) and you WILL GET THUMPED...:mad: :mad: :mad: Of course, Andy is a poser...who wouldn't DARE do that if he played a CONTACT sport...

Leo
01-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Roddick's on-court displays are consistently pathetic and inappropriate. Color me unsurprised.

Mistaflava
01-15-2007, 01:13 AM
That's your problem I guess. You should have checked with the TV channel for their intended schedule. There are a lot of people who prefer Mauresmo to Roddick...

Who the hell wants to see women's tennis? Well Maursemo playing is practically men's tennis but you get my point.

Leo
01-15-2007, 01:15 AM
I know people like to point at Connors and blame Roddick's behavior on him but fact is, Roddick has always been like this. He's always cursed and yelled to pump himself up when he's down. That people still pretend to be shocked by it (while letting just-as-bad-behavior from the likes of Safin or Chela slide) shocks me.

:bowdown:

Safin doesn't stare down or curse off opponents. Most of his abuse is directed at himself. There's a big difference.

Leo
01-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Who the hell wants to see women's tennis? Well Maursemo playing is practically men's tennis but you get my point.

You are a disgrace to the human race. :lol:

Mistaflava
01-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Safin doesn't stare down or curse off opponents. Most of his abuse is directed at himself. There's a big difference.

That's because Safin chooses to do that. Who cares what Roddick does. It's part of sports and will always be part of sports. End of story.

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 01:18 AM
Safin doesn't stare down or curse off opponents. Most of his abuse is directed at himself. There's a big difference.Ah, he also curses out tournament officials and has been fined for it; unlike Roddick.

alfonsojose
01-15-2007, 01:20 AM
Poor "Has been". Leave Andy alone :tape:

Neely
01-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Ah, he also curses out tournament officials and has been fined for it; unlike Roddick.
Or breaks equipment around the court, such as line umpire chairs! :p

Leo
01-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Ah, he also curses out tournament officials and has been fined for it; unlike Roddick.

They kiss Roddick's ass like they always did with Agassi. And cursing out a tournament official doesn't violate the sportsmanship between two opponents that should be upheld every match. That's the kind of thing that Roddick, Kiefer, Stepanek, etc. don't seem to give a shit about, but a lot of fans do.

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 01:23 AM

Or breaks equipment around the court, such as line umpire chairs! :p

:) This is so much fun;)

Socket
01-15-2007, 01:31 AM
He was actually fined over it. It was at Miami. Safin threw a hissy fit over the tournament's refusal to replace a complimentary luxury car that was involved in a fender bender with Safin. Marat wanted a replacement and they said no and he ripped a female tournament rep. Called her a bitch or c*nt, can't remember which.

The rep was Mal Washington's wife. No love lost between those two. :tape:

Mistaflava
01-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Safin is an ass clown, Andy actually shows some kind of character.

sawan66278
01-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Andy is your typical "country club" punk...If he acted like he did at the end of the third in a TEAM sport like basketball, he would have gotten a fist to the face...:mad: :mad: :mad:

Neely
01-15-2007, 01:35 AM
The rep was Mal Washington's wife. No love lost between those two. :tape:
LOL, Mal Washington's wife, I did not know that!

Andy is your typical "country club" punk...If he acted like he did at the end of the third in a TEAM sport like basketball, he would have gotten a fist to the face...:mad: :mad: :mad:
a fist to the face? then you get just further suspensions, so better do some other things :cool:

~*~Amber~*~
01-15-2007, 01:40 AM
I have been watching the whole match on ESPN and I haven't heard anything "appalling." I say...Go Andy! :)

el_croata
01-15-2007, 01:41 AM
a$$ roddick was f@rking again
they just showed him

el_croata
01-15-2007, 01:42 AM
commentators just didn't want to say anything

Kip
01-15-2007, 01:43 AM
Why are people so surprised acting as if
his childish rants are anything new?

Regardless, JW is amazing! Keep those injuries
away and get some better conditioning and
man is bank! Great serve, strokes, and
mental muscle! :cool:

MariaV
01-15-2007, 01:44 AM

You're my hero too! :worship:

partygirl
01-15-2007, 01:44 AM
OMG! Is anyone else seeing this match? Why does he have to behave like a hooligan?! :rolleyes: He just cursed at Tsonga after winning the point @ 8-9. Totally uncalled for! :rolleyes:

i fucking love it!:hearts:

yomeK
01-15-2007, 01:47 AM
i fucking love it!:hearts:

:o

gusman890
Quote Roddick at the last change over:

"ill end the conversation after you say something somewhat intellgent for once".

sawan66278
I'm not saying the "fist to the face" is the way to go...but just look, for example, at the end of the Chargers/Pats game...LT went after some players because, after the win, they danced on the Chargers' logo (that was on the field)...Acts like that will get you punked...game, set, and match for real:mad: :mad: :mad:

Regenbogen
01-15-2007, 01:48 AM
Even his adoring fans, a.k.a. the commentators, don't like it :tape:

But I do :o

partygirl
01-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Quote Roddick at the last change over:

"ill end the conversation after you say something somewhat intellgent for once".:haha:

cobalt60
Well the American commentators are indeed saying something and it is not in
Andy's favor. It is time to stop mouthing off and play tennis. And I consider myself a fan of his :shrug:

yomeK
Even Partick McEnroe and Cliff just said he isn't making himself look good. :o Even they seem to be disgusted by his behavior :tape:

UncleZeke
01-15-2007, 01:51 AM
He would be better off just focusing on tennis, but then, he wouldn't be Andy..

Leo
01-15-2007, 01:51 AM
:haha:

That's a great reaction to disrespect.

Sometimes I find those kind of comments funny and sometimes deserved, but we don't know the context and I don't think laughing at that is the proper way to react.

FINALLY even PMac and Cliff pointed out Roddick being unecessarily rude.

Regenbogen
01-15-2007, 01:56 AM
That's a great reaction to disrespect.

Sometimes I find those kind of comments funny and sometimes deserved, but we don't know the context and I don't think laughing at that is the proper way to react.

FINALLY even PMac and Cliff pointed out Roddick being unecessarily rude.

So he's being rude, he's human. I don't see why people can't still find it amusing :shrug:

RickDaStick
01-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Why i dont get it why is he still doing it? He has the match in the bag already but he still feels the need to stare down Tsonga.

UncleZeke
01-15-2007, 01:59 AM
match is over. no fireworks.

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 02:01 AM
A friendly handshake with eye contact and a few friendly words exchanged afterwards. Looks like Tsonga knows enough not to take Roddick's heat-of-the-moment cursing personally. Unlike some wimpy MTFers. :p

Anyway, good on Andy for getting the job done, if a bit sloppy. I wouldn't call that a good match. In fact I'd just cut out the last three sets and watch the first set alone. Tsonga was terrific. He reminds me of Taylor Dent.

Loremaster
01-15-2007, 02:03 AM
Their handshake but somehow friendly.

Loremaster
01-15-2007, 02:06 AM
A friendly handshake with eye contact and a few friendly words exchanged afterwards. Looks like Tsonga knows enough not to take Roddick's heat-of-the-moment cursing personally. Unlike some wimpy MTFers. :p

Anyway, good on Andy for getting the job done, if a bit sloppy. I wouldn't call that a good match. In fact I'd just cut out the last three sets and watch the first set alone. Tsonga was terrific. He reminds me of Taylor Dent.

Exactly their handshake was nice

I think such hard match will be good for Andy, I remember times when he had really easy matches and then was loosing badly to stronger opponents ( UsOpen 2004, AO 2006, AO 2005)
I liked Tsonga in first Set Terrfic play , he was serving like machine with something like over 70% of 1st serves in and ripping the forehand from everywhere.

DwyaneWade
01-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Lol, I just signed on to make a thread about Roddick's behavior but I guess with MTF I am always behind...

Roddick is simply deplorable...I dislike him more and more as I watch him. Even PMac was appalled at Roddick's words to the umpire...that deserved a point penalty at least. So nasty and rude....he gives a bad names to all us Americans (vs. James Blake, who always is quick to compliment his opponents, despite whatever flaws his mentality may have).

FelipeMIA89
01-15-2007, 02:11 AM
I really dislike Roddick's behavior.. just terrible.. the end..

Veronique
01-15-2007, 02:32 AM
PMac and Cliff were talking about Andy's behavior against the umpire. They didn't say a word about Andy's behavior toward Jo Willie. People are blowing things out of propotion here. The handshake was friendly and some nice words were exchanged.

Words get said in the heat of the battle sometimes. I remember Serena mouthing the b word against her own sister at this very same tournament a few years ago. It meant nothing in the end, just as it didn't in this case.

Magical Trevor
01-15-2007, 02:40 AM
Just a question as our coverage of the match started midway through the first set tiebreak. Did Andy use all his challenges up early in the set and tiebreak? Because there was a ball he thought was 3 inches out that he complained about, but didn't challenge. (for the record, it was plumb on the line)

If he still had challenges then I think it was especially poor behavious on his part. If he believed it was that far out he should have had the balls to make the challenge and stop the point, rather than waiting until after he lost the point to complain.

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 02:42 AM
No Hawkeye on that court so no challenges.

Veronique
01-15-2007, 02:44 AM
No spot shot on Vodafone Arena unfortunately.

sawan66278
01-15-2007, 02:44 AM
On ESPN, they just showed the Serbian fans and Croation fans almost going at it...police had to step in...I can tell you this (not that I would EVER wish harm to a player), but Roddick better not punk like that against Djokovic or Ivan...the FANS might follow him out of the arena!!! Some are not as forgiving as Tsonga...who will not forget this match, and Roddick's attitude I can tell you...

Magical Trevor
01-15-2007, 02:45 AM
No Hawkeye on that court so no challenges.
Oh right, it wasn't RLA. I got mixed since they were showing that match on TV. OK, my bad, ignore the last post.

nobama
01-15-2007, 02:46 AM
Why is there no Hawkeye on Vodafone? :retard: They need to put all of Roddick's matches on RL so then he'll have no reason to get pissy with the ump. Someone in his camp needs to tell him to quit doing it. It doesn't make him play better when he's pissed about line calls and pissed at the ump.

jwoodrx
01-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Ok, I can't seem to find it; what did Andy say to the Umpire?:confused:

nhissan
01-15-2007, 03:27 AM
On ESPN, they just showed the Serbian fans and Croation fans almost going at it...police had to step in...I can tell you this (not that I would EVER wish harm to a player), but Roddick better not punk like that against Djokovic or Ivan...the FANS might follow him out of the arena!!! Some are not as forgiving as Tsonga...who will not forget this match, and Roddick's attitude I can tell you...

:tape:

croat123
01-15-2007, 03:30 AM
nothing new :o

bokehlicious
01-15-2007, 06:38 AM

Tennis should be like wrestling, right :yeah: :retard:

oz_boz
01-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Why i dont get it why is he still doing it? He has the match in the bag already but he still feels the need to stare down Tsonga.

He's just happy he can still do it. Wait til he gets into trouble, then it will disappear.

I don't get it when Andy does this. He is nice off court and that seems more like his own personality to me. He could just quit putting up this silly act. But of course I might be wrong.

Black Adam
01-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Just because this is Andy Rodick it deserves a bashing thread :rolleyes:
GM can't stand Andy playing well, the hate just has to come out. :o

Black Adam
01-15-2007, 07:27 AM

Look around here and I am not at all surprise by which group turns out to be the biggest pricks around:rolleyes: :devil:Their behaviour is even more appalling! Anyways Bye Bye Mr Ivan "nothing less than finals down here" Ljubicic :lol: :haha: :haha:

partygirl
01-15-2007, 09:42 AM
He's just happy he can still do it. Wait til he gets into trouble, then it will disappear.

I don't get it when Andy does this. He is nice off court and that seems more like his own personality to me. He could just quit putting up this silly act. But of course I might be wrong.
He's just a man...maybe at times a boy who gets super involved & personal in the heat of competition.

it's no big deal.

i know i would say some god awful things in those moments that i ...might not say in more composed moments, thats just me.

it doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you a person with shortcomings.:cool:

Ernham
01-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Well, according to Roddick "Tsonga started it". Yes, really. Heh. Still stuck in elementary school playground mode.

Jogy
01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Roddick is more fun to watch than boring Federer idiot who claims to be nice and want to appear nice, but is fake nice guy in reality when the cameras are not watching.

No spot shot on Vodafone Arena unfortunately.
that is very big mistake, they should have it on two courts at least
only one court is not enough :(

Jogy
01-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Well, according to Roddick "Tsonga started it". Yes, really. Heh. Still stuck in elementary school playground mode.
do not blame Tsonga for it, this guy is young, look like this guy is only two or three years out of elementary school :p

bokehlicious
01-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Roddick is more fun to watch than boring Federer idiot who claims to be nice and want to appear nice, but is fake nice guy in reality when the cameras are not watching.

Your clever statements were missed dude :lol:

Hingie

What stupid reasoning. You are trying to conclude based on the assumption that because we like Safin, then if he did it, it would be okay. Has it ever occured to you that we like safin because he doesn't do it? At least when Marat gets angry, he gets angry at himself. You talk about personality? Take the contrast of the two. One is funny, smart, quirky. The other acts like an ass. You do the math.

oz_boz
Roddick is more fun to watch than boring Federer

The real fun is watching them both at the same time. :D

Naranoc
01-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Not particularly surprising, hence perhaps there should be an official sticky thread for Roddick's crude behaviour during tennis matches, to keep the criticism and disgust in one place.

Jogy
01-15-2007, 10:26 AM
At least when Marat gets angry, he gets angry at himself. You talk about personality? Take the contrast of the two. One is funny, smart, quirky. The other acts like an ass. You do the math.
Oh yeah I sure am that Marat is very funny, smart and quirky if he breaks his rackets, smashed things around him (or calls other women **** like in above from socket described), making discussion many times minutes long with the umpire about a call to let his opponent waiting, being unfair to him and take the rythm away from his opponent. Let only say that it is the watcher that makes definition what is funny, smark and quirky. People that like Safin temper are saying this more than other who hate him or hate Roddick.

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-15-2007, 10:31 AM
All the whiny little girls on MTF should not watch a real tennis match with REAL emotion.

Go watch Federer play his boring butterfly loving ballet tennis.

There are too many 10 year old girls on this board and they all love Federer's ballet tennis.

buzz
01-15-2007, 10:35 AM
maybe Jimmy wants the duck to be a little bit more agressive and mean....

nobama
01-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Telling the chair ump he's just a glorified scorekeeper and they should have a machine instead is real class. :yeah:

trixtah
01-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Just because this is Andy Rodick it deserves a bashing thread :rolleyes:
GM can't stand Andy playing well, the hate just has to come out. :o

what the fuck are you talking about? Seriously.

Oh yeah I sure am that Marat is very funny, smart and quirky if he breaks his rackets, smashed things around him (or calls other women **** like in above from socket described), making discussion many times minutes long with the umpire about a call to let his opponent waiting, being unfair to him and take the rythm away from his opponent. Let only say that it is the watcher that makes definition what is funny, smark and quirky. People that like Safin temper are saying this more than other who hate him or hate Roddick.

lol...someone was born yesterday

alfonsojose
01-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Well done :yeah: :rolleyes:
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AjmO141epM7OotWRZwgKyuY4v7YF?slug=reu-openroddick&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Jade Fox
01-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh Andy, you're such a bad boy.

Someone should spank him. Perhaps Roger.:devil:

rrfnpump
01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
nothing new :o

exactly, we all know what a retard Roddick is!

Apemant
01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Roddick you naughty boy ;)

Sofyaxo
01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
We know GM hates Andy can we move on...

Seriously get over it.:rolleyes:

Caren
01-15-2007, 11:56 AM
wow 11 pages in 12 hours...he must be doing something right!!!

3 words people...
GET OVER IT

Would you rather players went out and acted like robots. I've seen plenty of players do what Roddick does i.e.stare down players...it's part of their game. Roddick has always done it, it's only becoming an issue now because the hater's can't stand the fact he's playing a bit well now.

As for that, on a number of occasions i've seen Murray do the same thing. It's not like he wasn't aware of it i watched an interview before that match where he said something along the lines of "you have to expect it and get on with it because it's just part of Roddick's character".

Anyone who doesn't like it when tennis gets a little rough and ready (entertaining) should go watch ice skating or something where you're feelings won't get hurt :wavey:

Fedex
01-15-2007, 11:58 AM
I find it funny that some people are just now figuring this out. :lol:

Fedex
01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Telling the chair ump he's just a glorified scorekeeper and they should have a machine instead is real class. :yeah:
If I were a chair ump, there's no way I'd put up with that. I'd give him a warning the first time he does it, and if the player makes another derogatory comment, he gets tossed and therefore defaulted.

Donny
01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
:worship: ANDY!

:rolleyes: Pathetic haters.

Caren
01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
It's not an "either-or" situation where one has to choose between one or the other. There is such a thing as a happy medium.

The only reason I haven't commented in this thread (till now) is because this is nothing new from Andy. I'm not going to demonize him for it - hell, I have Tommy Haas in my signature so I'm well aware that players sometimes let their emotions go overboard :lol: - but when a player behaves that way, I'm not going to overlook it or defend him either, whether it's Haas or Roddick or whoever. (A lot of people here give PMac hell for being a Roddick buttkisser but even he said that although fans may like to see players fired up, Andy was out of line and the umpire shouldn't have put up with his behavior.) Andy was being an ass, plain and simple, but many tennis players have had their share of asstastic moments, so let's move on to the next match, plain and simple. :shrug:

I get that, maybe he went a little overboard, my comment was edged more towards those who are 2 steps from forming a petition to have him hung, drawn and quartered for his comments. Like i said it's nothing new, he does it a lot...he's not the only player to do it...he's the only player that could have an 11 page thread dedicated to it though :rolleyes:

nhissan
01-15-2007, 02:11 PM
:worship: ANDY!

:rolleyes: Pathetic haters.

such a shame :rolleyes:

marcelwks
01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
I heard that you will be fine $2000 vCash if you don't change your avatar ;)

MarieS
01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
:haha: good. they've got to make revenue somewhere...

alfonsojose
01-15-2007, 02:34 PM
I heard that you will be fine $2000 vCash if you don't change your avatar ;)

:haha: :haha:

cmurray
01-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Am i missing something? Maybe I've forgotten how to read? Where does it say that Andy got fined?

Magus13
01-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I really don't care all that much. When he acts like that he looks like an idiot. That's a reflection on him. His fans will defend him , his detractors will use it against him and those in the middle will make their own conclusions. The way he acts will come back to haunt him. The fact that he can't even give a decent interview anymore without being sarcastic and demeaning is beyond me. I'm sure Connor's has convinced him that this type of display will help him get back to number one and get his edge back. Like I said I could care less. Blake is the classiest American and being an asshole will only get you so far. At the end of the day it's your game that speaks for you.

Sunset of Age
01-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Am i missing something? Maybe I've forgotten how to read? Where does it say that Andy got fined?

Can't find that either. :confused:
Perhaps we're getting pranked here? ;)

cmurray
01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Can't find that either. :confused:
Perhaps we're getting pranked here? ;)

You mean by (fill in the blank) sexslave? IMPOSSIBLE. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if he HAD been fined, though. He was pretty foul-mouthed yesterday. You have to hand it to Ramos...the guy handles things with such aplomb......

alfonsojose
01-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Your lovely JesusFed has money to feed 20 Mirkas but he's not able to show support for doubles. Why not givin some of his fees to increase doubles prize or playing doubles once in a while instead of playing exos everywhere.

And i hope all the money kids pay for the new Wilson raquect he suposedly uses ends in his UNICEF project. What a "Robin Hood" :rolleyes:

You, like most delusional fans here, only see what your eyes want to see.

Socket
01-15-2007, 02:54 PM
He might be fined if the umpire complains to the supervisor's office, but I doubt if it would be decided and announced that quickly.

Sunset of Age
01-15-2007, 02:55 PM
You mean by (fill in the blank) sexslave? IMPOSSIBLE. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if he HAD been fined, though. He was pretty foul-mouthed yesterday. You have to hand it to Ramos...the guy handles things with such aplomb......

Oh, indeed! I cringed more than once at his behaviour. Oh-oh. If that's due to Connor's coaching I don't really know whether I like this anymore. Old foxes loose their hair but never their tricks, it is said in my mother tongue...

Ramos was great in handling this, hope the others will do so as well.

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh, indeed! I cringed more than once at his behaviour. Oh-oh. If that's due to Connor's coaching I don't really know whether I like this anymore. Old foxes loose their hair but never their tricks, it is said in my mother tongue...

Ramos was great in handling this, hope the others will do so as well.

I don't believe Connors has anything to do with this behavior toward Ramos. And personally Ramos should have nipped it in the bud early on.

Andre♥
01-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Carlos Ramos is a very patient person. That's why the Wimbledon organization loves him so much and he ends up being the referee of the final so many times.

User id 7816
01-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I can quit reading right here. Thanks.
Hate is a strong word, but I really, really, really, don't like him.
Yes
I think the sport of tennis can do without his persona. Give me Safin, Baghdatis, Murray, Blake, Trusonov, Serena and Venus. Heck give me Sharapova :tape:. These players have a lot of personlaity, but they don't need to degrade their opponents by cursing at them and staring them down to make themselves feel better and 'pump' themselves up. Roddick's a classless pig.
YES
I have always wondered why doesn't Roddick act the way he's acting against a player like Federer. :angel:
even I dont want to imagine what would happen if he did.

betterthanhenman
01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Like I often say on here:

This isn't ballet!!

And Roddick is always gracious at the end with the handshake, so...

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm not even going to read this thread :yawn: just wanted to say I'm sure that in all 166 posts I bet no one mentions the fact that Andy usually apologizes, on his own accord, to the ump right after the match. Doesn't excuse the behavior itself, but it just seems relevant. Not to any of you of course :)

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh viva :rocker2:

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm not even going to read this thread :yawn: just wanted to say I'm sure that in all 166 posts I bet no one mentions the fact that Andy usually apologizes, on his own accord, to the ump right after the match. Doesn't excuse the behavior itself, but it just seems relevant. Not to any of you of course :)

That is good to know for me. An apology goes a long way. Truthfully that was the only behavior of his last night I thought was outta hand. But again glad that he apologised. Maybe that is why Ramos showed such restraint. Maybe he did handle it correctly afterall.

mer
01-15-2007, 03:12 PM
GM is pathetic. All this hate, bashing, the hipocrisy and righteousness of MTF is ridiculous and more annoyng than the players bad behaviour.

cmurray
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm not a particular Roddick fan (I probably only cheer for him about half the time), so I'm not coming at this with any particular bias. Roddick was being a jerk - no doubt about it. But tennis is a sport and Andy is a player on whom quite a few expectations are placed. Does that excuse his dismal treatment of Ramos? No. But let's try not to make it seem as though this is something shocking.

A few weeks ago, in the NFL a player stomped on the face of another player with his football cleats on. The guy needed like 50 stitches. THAT is shocking and deplorable. Swearing is just....silly.

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 03:29 PM
That is good to know for me. An apology goes a long way. Truthfully that was the only behavior of his last night I thought was outta hand. But again glad that he apologised. Maybe that is why Ramos showed such restraint. Maybe he did handle it correctly afterall.Well, I don't have proof that he apologized this particular time, I just know that he often does (he has said so himself and others have said they have seen him do it). And the ump was experienced enough and probably knows Andy well enough to know that he just spouts off to the umps when he is annoyed with himself and he doesn't really mean anything bad by it.

Ellen is working at the AO and said he is one of the most polite players to the kids who work and the ballkids and that he even says thanks when someone gives him bananas, which she told me is really unusual. So it's the same old same old, those of us who can see that this is his one behavioral shortcoming allow the good to outweigh the bad, and those who hate him will only see the few bad things he does a few times a year. I believe the proper term would be "ma nishtana" ;)

Kalliopeia
01-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Like I often say on here:

This isn't ballet!!

And Roddick is always gracious at the end with the handshake, so...

Yeah, a nice handshake after being called a prick always makes me feel better.

I find it hilarious how disliking a player who insults his opponent and the officials--and does so consistently--means that I can't handle sports and should go watch ballet. There is a middle ground and a lot of players occupy it.

I was kind of impressed with Patrick McEnroe. He spends so much time worshipping Andy Roddick that I was actually surprised when he called him out for acting like a spoiled four year old.

betterthanhenman
01-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, a nice handshake after being called a prick always makes me feel better.

I find it hilarious how disliking a player who insults his opponent and the officials--and does so consistently--means that I can't handle sports and should go watch ballet. There is a middle ground and a lot of players occupy it.

I was kind of impressed with Patrick McEnroe. He spends so much time worshipping Andy Roddick that I was actually surprised when he called him out for acting like a spoiled four year old.

McEnroe did much worse, as did Connors and Nastase. But the tour would kill for 3 guys like them right now!

lordmanji
01-15-2007, 03:38 PM
10 years from now everyone will love roddick's antics and reminisce sweetly about the good old days just like they now do with so many other past players (esp. champions), agassi, mcenroe, connors

Shabazza
01-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I really don't care all that much. When he acts like that he looks like an idiot. That's a reflection on him. His fans will defend him , his detractors will use it against him and those in the middle will make their own conclusions. The way he acts will come back to haunt him. The fact that he can't even give a decent interview anymore without being sarcastic and demeaning is beyond me. I'm sure Connor's has convinced him that this type of display will help him get back to number one and get his edge back. Like I said I could care less. Blake is the classiest American and being an asshole will only get you so far. At the end of the day it's your game that speaks for you.

Exactly. He won't make new fans with his on-court antics. I'm waiting for the Safin-Roddick match to come true, would be quite interesting to see who curses more.

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, I don't have proof that he apologized this particular time, I just know that he often does (he has said so himself and others have said they have seen him do it). And the ump was experienced enough and probably knows Andy well enough to know that he just spouts off to the umps when he is annoyed with himself and he doesn't really mean anything bad by it.

Ellen is working at the AO and said he is one of the most polite players to the kids who work and the ballkids and that he even says thanks when someone gives him bananas, which she told me is really unusual. So it's the same old same old, those of us who can see that this is his one behavioral shortcoming allow the good to outweigh the bad, and those who hate him will only see the few bad things he does a few times a year. I believe the proper term would be "ma nishtana" ;)

Todo Rabah;)

mer
01-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm waiting for the Safin-Roddick match to come true, would be quite interesting to see who curses more.
IF Marat makes it to the 3 round I'm much more :scared: about fights between fans already. :o

nobama
01-15-2007, 03:48 PM
McEnroe did much worse, as did Connors and Nastase. But the tour would kill for 3 guys like them right now!
Says who? Where is the evidence that people want more guys like that?

Kalliopeia
01-15-2007, 03:48 PM

I know. I didn't like them as players either.

Pea
01-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Once an asshole, always.

betterthanhenman
01-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Says who? Where is the evidence that people want more guys like that?

You seriously doubt it?

Sunset of Age
01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't believe Connors has anything to do with this behavior toward Ramos. And personally Ramos should have nipped it in the bud early on.

Oh, I hope you're right about this! But I well remember him being a bit of a 'verbal' pain in the a$$ against umpires at well... so I'm not so sure.

Yes, in general umpires should take action earlier than they usually do, and that may have worked well in this case too.

MarieS
01-15-2007, 03:55 PM

Like you said, that doesn't make it ok :shrug:. And the behavior must have been appalling for P Mac to call him on it.

Shrinking Violet
01-15-2007, 04:00 PM
It's not the swearing at the umpire I don't like - I don't care. Swear at the umpire, or the linesmen - fine, that's natural. You think you're getting hosed on a call, you have a right to get pissed off about it. That's not the problem I have with it.

It's the classless way he acts with his opponents now. The stare downs, the comments, the insults, the boasting - it does nothing for me. I honestly used to enjoy watching him play because he seemed like a nice guy who would applaud good shots, who would have a laugh with the crowd, who would interact positively with his opponent. Now he is just the exact opposite. Was there any need for him to do that against a guy ranked outside the top 200? No.

I honestly can't remember ever seeing him do that prior to the Murray match at Cincy. I remember reading some commentary after that match and the American analysts were also surprised. One said they felt sorry for Murray because he allowed Roddick to goad him into playing a game he shouldn't have been playing - a grudge match. Murray's comments after that match were "You know, he was getting pretty fired up and saying things across the court to me at the start of the match."

And those two are friends - Murray used to talk him up all the time last year until then. I don't know if it was the Wimbledon thing that started Roddick's new 'thing' but at Kooyong the pair of them seemed to be having fun on court which made me hope that Roddick had got the whole being an arsehole thing out his system, but last night showed he hasn't.

If he thinks he needs to taunt his opponent then fair enough. He's a good enough player to win without it though - or I used to think he was. If he has to channel the whole Connors thing and put on this fake, aggressive persona then fine. I just don't like it and I think it makes him easy to cheer against.

Kalliopeia
01-15-2007, 04:01 PM
:spit: Me neither. (And along the same lines, that sort of behavior is why I was never able to completely warm up to/buy into Agassi's second incarnation, because I grew up watching him in the 1990s. :o)

I've always been allll about Andre. At first I was a smitten 16 year old when he first came along who thought he was really cool, and HAWT. :lol: And then he grew up a little, and I was able to keep adoring him. :)

Barry004
01-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Could not agree more.

In the difference between Marat and Roddick, here it is:

Roddick- Rude, stuck-up asshole!

Marat- funny, friendly, with a temper.

Believe me, I've met both of them, THIS IS THE TRUTH ABOUT THEIR CHARACTER!...but as you said, everyone makes their own conclusions.

mickymouse
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I actually do not find Roddick's behaviour appalling because like Hewitt, although he can be a prick on court sometimes, he's always gracious at the net and always gives credit where credit's due.

However, I wonder why people always bring up McEnroe and Connors in order to mitigate Roddick's 'bratty' behavior? It's like, hey he's not as bad as McEnroe and Connors so we shouldn't make a fuss about it. Since when has it become acceptable for somebody to behave badly just because there have been others who behave worse?

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 04:18 PM
13 pages and still going :banana: Roddick rules MTF :rocker2:

Third round is going to be great with both Safin and Roddick cursing and throwing rackets (I hope) :devil:

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 04:18 PM
LOL It has nothing to do with Jimmy, he's done stuff like this his entire career, in fact I'm quite sure Jimmy would never suggest that he engage in behavior that is almost always detrimental to his game :shrug:Yes, in general umpires should take action earlier than they usually do, and that may have worked well in this case too.Maybe the ump knew he was just spouting off and figured it would be better to just let him vent? Maybe the ump knows him better than MTF haters do and he knew that Andy was just annoyed with himself and was just venting and it wasn't really worth doing anything about? :scratch:

tangerine_dream
01-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Maybe the ump knew he was just spouting off and figured it would be better to just let him vent? Maybe the ump knows him better than MTF haters do and he knew that Andy was just annoyed with himself and was just venting and it wasn't really worth doing anything about? :scratch:
Stop, stop STOP. You are *killing* this place with reason! Read the @#$%! Rules!

:secret: But I agree, the chair umpires are smart enough to realize that Andy is just venting half the time so again, unlike the wussy MTFers, they don't take Andy's :baby: behavior personally. ;)

Sunset of Age
01-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Maybe the ump knows him better than MTF haters do and he knew that Andy was just annoyed with himself and was just venting and it wasn't really worth doing anything about? :scratch:

Please don't mistake me for a hater. I'm not. I'm only participating in a discussion, where everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. Disagreement does not automatically equal 'hater'.

Jlee
01-15-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm not really seeing anywhere that he was fined either. Why post information that isn't even factual? :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
IF Marat makes it to the 3 round I'm much more :scared: about fights between fans already. :oWhy? Most Andy fans like Marat and his fans, why would there be any fighting? :scratch:Like you said, that doesn't make it ok :shrug:. And the behavior must have been appalling for P Mac to call him on it.I actually have seen him say and act a lot worse. The reason it bothers me is because it doesn't help his game. It distracts him and it doesn't help, but to me the fact that he apologizes and talks to the umps after is important. People here make him out to be this heartless asshole who has no conscious and is no better than pond scum. And I think that if people actually looked at his overall behavior and the overall way he treats people (politely and graciously), it would be apparent that this one little thing he does sometimes is a shortcoming that is far outweighed by the kind way he treats people probably 95% of the time. I think it would be ridiculous of me to demand perfection from my favorite tennis players. I'm not perfect, no one else is, so the fact that I like pretty much everything else about Andy AND the fact that it's not like he's TRYING to be an asshole on purpose allow me to not get so worked up about it. I am capable of just saying "oh andy, i wish he wouldn't do that" and move on :shrug:

It's not the swearing at the umpire I don't like - I don't care. Swear at the umpire, or the linesmen - fine, that's natural. You think you're getting hosed on a call, you have a right to get pissed off about it. That's not the problem I have with it.

It's the classless way he acts with his opponents now. The stare downs, the comments, the insults, the boasting - it does nothing for me. I honestly used to enjoy watching him play because he seemed like a nice guy who would applaud good shots, who would have a laugh with the crowd, who would interact positively with his opponent. Now he is just the exact opposite. Was there any need for him to do that against a guy ranked outside the top 200? No.

I honestly can't remember ever seeing him do that prior to the Murray match at Cincy. I remember reading some commentary after that match and the American analysts were also surprised. One said they felt sorry for Murray because he allowed Roddick to goad him into playing a game he shouldn't have been playing - a grudge match. Murray's comments after that match were "You know, he was getting pretty fired up and saying things across the court to me at the start of the match."

And those two are friends - Murray used to talk him up all the time last year until then. I don't know if it was the Wimbledon thing that started Roddick's new 'thing' but at Kooyong the pair of them seemed to be having fun on court which made me hope that Roddick had got the whole being an arsehole thing out his system, but last night showed he hasn't.

If he thinks he needs to taunt his opponent then fair enough. He's a good enough player to win without it though - or I used to think he was. If he has to channel the whole Connors thing and put on this fake, aggressive persona then fine. I just don't like it and I think it makes him easy to cheer against.I can't even read this post because you seem to be basing your conclusions on one match, which you damn well know had a lot of personal backstory with Brad and stuff. You really think Murray's gonna keep saying nice things about Andy after Brad was hired? Andy and Brad parted on nasty terms and Brad has made it quite clear he has nothing good to say about Andy anymore. Brad would probably kick murray's ass if he WAS nice to him now :lol: If you doubt Andy's respect for his opponents, just read one of the many press conferences he has given where he has shown he's one of the most gracious losers - and winners for that matter - on tour. The point is that he IS a nice guy and his shortcoming is that he gets too caught up in the moment sometimes. No one, not even himself, would deny that.

It's so funny to me that people will pick out the one or two things that a person does wrong and assume that that's how the person is as a whole without even bothering to make an informed judgment :lol:

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 04:36 PM
This is fair. A good call. There is a big difference between cussing loudly at your self "Andy you stupid prick, pick up your game" and cursing at your opponent "F*** you" to motivate yourself.
I wrote this in the "Davydenko fined" forum, where are the fines for players who abuse tournament officials, their opponents, or the opponents' entourage?

Shrinking Violet
01-15-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm not basing it on one match. That was the first match I seen he started doing it - as I said.

Are you trying to say he didn't do it last night, or during the US Open? Do you remember the way he was shouting at Youzhny? :rolleyes:

jeahhh!
01-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I love how most everyone is bitching about his trash talking and staring at his opponents when half the time the opponents do it right back. I know Tsonga was and if I remember correctly Murray did too in cincy.

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 04:49 PM
I love how most everyone is bitching about his trash talking and staring at his opponents when half the time the opponents do it right back. I know Tsonga was and if I remember correctly Murray did too in cincy.

It is called posturing and lots of players do it. It did not upset Tsonga at all and so I don't see that there was any one upmanship. Early on it really appeared to me that Andy was just frustrated with himself and then what he perceived was a bad linecall really got him wound up. I wish none of the players would do it as I still feel it does a disservice to themselves.
And please no racquet breaking when Andy plays Marat;)

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm not basing it on one match. That was the first match I seen he started doing it - as I said.

Are you trying to say he didn't do it last night, or during the US Open? Do you remember the way he was shouting at Youzhny? :rolleyes:I never said I was denying that his behavior is sometimes undesirable. You seem to be missing my point that I don't think he's doing it with any kind of bad intent because he is otherwise such a polite and respectful guy. I don't think that someone who gets caught up in the moment sometimes and just crosses the line sometimes (and it is only sometimes, if not all the way to rare) is a bad person. If you think a few incidents makes him a bad person, your opinion :shrug: But if you're going to spew stuff about Andy as a person based on a few incidents and sit here and pretend that Murray isn't sometimes just as bad, then that's just laughable.

ah okay I am done with this thread, despite how fun it is :)

amon84
01-15-2007, 05:10 PM

I would really like to know why when we talk about Roddick's behaviour, Safin's name is always mentionned! They are different people so stop comparing them! I don't know how Roddick behaved today but...hey! Roddick is Roddick! His behaviour on court, doesn't mean he is what we see! After all, we don't know him. We are not in his head! Of course, he could have behaved better, but everybody is not like Mr.Federer. And honestly, I prefer seeing Marat or Andy in a match much more than Mr.Federer. But this is just my point of view and I don't need to justify myself. Human beings sometimes misbehave, they make mistakes but that doesn't mean they are mean ppl...To be honest I appreciate real people, and to me Marat and Andy are more real and true than Mr.Federer who seem to be too nice to be true!

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 05:29 PM
he's doing it with any kind of bad intent because he is otherwise such a polite and respectful guy.

Well no one knows or can tell if it is bad intent or just in the heat of the moment. He could be doing it to distract or otherwise cower down a young, inexperienced opponent and that would be bad intent. I don't think you know either whether it is intentional or not. Certainly we give him the benefit of the doubt that it is in the heat of the moment.

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I would really like to know why when we talk about Roddick's behaviour, Safin's name is always mentionned!

Heh heh heh.... it's because Safin is so beloved, that if any player is made to be like him, then that player (Federer, nadal, roddick, whoever) will also be loved... ;)

Caren
01-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Just a point, when Roddick played Blake at Queens last year he did something of the same thing, got pissed and started swearing etc....Blake laughed it off, then they had a bit of a joke. When Andy does do anything of this sort it usually fires up the opposing player or they just ignore it. This whole thread is one wholle big mess trying to make something out of nothing. This behaviour has been happening for a long time it's not like it's an Andy Roddick only thing, as much as most of you would love it to be.

Some people find it entertaining, some find it appaling etc whatever, agree to disagree

Jade Fox
01-15-2007, 06:23 PM
People here make him out to be this heartless asshole who has no conscious and is no better than pond scum.

Well, he does eat children after all.

Can't get more evil than that.;)

On a serious note, I firmly beleive that Andy's one of those guys who lose a sense of self control during the heat of a match. Luckily though that the worst thing he has done so far is break a racquet or curse at umps.

Do I think it's right? No, not always. I would prefer it that he focuses on the match at hand, but as long as he doesn't actually hurt anyone, I can deal with it.

Of course, if he doesn't stop eating children soon, I might have to reconsider my fandom:p.

Raquel
01-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Ellen is working at the AO and said he is one of the most polite players to the kids who work and the ballkids and that he even says thanks when someone gives him bananas, which she told me is really unusual.

I need to get someone to tell me Andy Murray said thanks for a banana so I can defend him in threads :p :lol:

Seriously, I saw this match and OK Andy swore and had some backchat with the umpire but it's nothing new for Andy - or lots of players.

As for being more Connors-like since Jimmy began coaching him - if Andy did really start acting like Jimmy this place would go into meltdown! Jimmy's a legend, but over the years he's been sort of painted as a lovable rogue. I've read stories though that suggested there wasn't much lovable there at all at times. Peter Bodo wrote a tennis book and some of the incidents were crazy -
* Apparently snorting cocaine during a match at Wimbledon through an inhaler hidden inside a towel (!!!). Bodo witnessed it, and said to Connors friend he couldn't believe what he was seeing.
* Going round the other side of the court to rub out clay marks
* Hurling obscenities at the crowd before a match with Rod Laver when Laver got a standing ovation
* Saying to the umpire at 39 - "You son of a bitch, get out of the chair!" (Andy's version today was a lot more watered down ;));
* In a match with Brad Gilbert, Brad hit a winner on match point and umpire called the match. Connors went nuts and somehow got the umpire to change his mind. The match went on and Connors won.
* Flicking linesmen the bird :lol:

I mean, how he got away with so much is crazy. Andy dropping a few F bombs is angelic in comparison.

Allez
01-15-2007, 06:50 PM
What's new ? That's the real Roddick for you. Bad ass Texan cowboy :o

Jade Fox
01-15-2007, 07:02 PM
I need to get someone to tell me Andy Murray said thanks for a banana so I can defend him in threads :p :lol:

Seriously, I saw this match and OK Andy swore and had some backchat with the umpire but it's nothing new for Andy - or lots of players.

As for being more Connors-like since Jimmy began coaching him - if Andy did really start acting like Jimmy this place would go into meltdown! Jimmy's a legend, but over the years he's been sort of painted as a lovable rogue. I've read stories though that suggested there wasn't much lovable there at all at times. Peter Bodo wrote a tennis book and some of the incidents were crazy -
* Apparently snorting cocaine during a match at Wimbledon through an inhaler hidden inside a towel (!!!). Bodo witnessed it, and said to Connors friend he couldn't believe what he was seeing.
* Going round the other side of the court to rub out clay marks
* Hurling obscenities at the crowd before a match with Rod Laver when Laver got a standing ovation
* Saying to the umpire at 39 - "You son of a bitch, get out of the chair!" (Andy's version today was a lot more watered down ;));
* In a match with Brad Gilbert, Brad hit a winner on match point and umpire called the match. Connors went nuts and somehow got the umpire to change his mind. The match went on and Connors won.
* Flicking linesmen the bird :lol:

I mean, how he got away with so much is crazy. Andy dropping a few F bombs is angelic in comparison.

Still doesn't compare to eating children love.:p ;)

rmb6687
01-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I would really like to know why when we talk about Roddick's behaviour, Safin's name is always mentionned! They are different people so stop comparing them! I don't know how Roddick behaved today but...hey! Roddick is Roddick! His behaviour on court, doesn't mean he is what we see! After all, we don't know him. We are not in his head! Of course, he could have behaved better, but everybody is not like Mr.Federer. And honestly, I prefer seeing Marat or Andy in a match much more than Mr.Federer. But this is just my point of view and I don't need to justify myself. Human beings sometimes misbehave, they make mistakes but that doesn't mean they are mean ppl...To be honest I appreciate real people, and to me Marat and Andy are more real and true than Mr.Federer who seem to be too nice to be true!

I totally agree. While I like watching federer to see some fantastic tennis...I will get that and more when I watch Marat. Andy tennis isn't exactly 'pretty' but I enjoy the hell out of most of his matches when he is pumped up and kinda angry. Emotions are entertaining, good or bad, happy or angry.

Shabazza
01-15-2007, 08:56 PM
13 pages and still going :banana: Roddick rules MTF :rocker2:

Third round is going to be great with both Safin and Roddick cursing and throwing rackets (I hope) :devil:

Finally, long gone (and forgotten) days are coming back, were Roddick's name can fill 100+ posts threads!! ;)
Must be great for you to see these threads again on MTF. It's the last proof he's back on track. :devil:

FiBeR
01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
well... i havent seen the match, but reading some of the posts really remined me of hewitt

what about him? i mean...roddick is like a baby compared to hewitt s behaviour

certainly the worst of the circuit

chicky841
01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Ya Andy needed to chill out a bit, some of his behaviour was a bit uneccesary. But at the same time I like when Andy is fired up, he seems to play better that way. I just wish that he could find another way to get fired up.

dkw
01-15-2007, 09:59 PM
OMG the sh*t doesn't change - the players and the fans continue to be whack!!!

Marcus1979
01-15-2007, 10:25 PM
thisis the stuff that makes tennis exciting

Like John Mac in the 80s

I remember a few years ago the current crop were said to be like robots due to showing not much emotion or something compared to the players in the 70s and 80s

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 10:36 PM
What was the fine for? Stuff said to the ump or to Tsonga?

General Suburbia
01-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Macenroe did it and everyone hated him for it. Now they love him for it. Wonder what the majority of people will think about Roddick's behavior 20 years from now.

Mistaflava
01-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Macenroe did it and everyone hated him for it. Now they love him for it. Wonder what the majority of people will think about Roddick's behavior 20 years from now.

It's same crybaby story we hear everytime a player shows character or heart or love for winning. Roddick and Hewitt do get out of control but it's only because they want to win.

I would rather see Roddick's antics yesterday anyday over the boring efforts of most of the players on tour. How uninterested was Ljubicic yesterday?

The fans will always enjoy and remember the matches with the most drama.

Stop crying you freakin babies...at least Andy cares.

Donny
01-16-2007, 12:48 AM
:scratch: 8,000+ views of this thread. Geezus, you'd think Andy had killed a kitten on court or something.

MariaV
01-16-2007, 12:57 AM
It's same crybaby story we hear everytime a player shows character or heart or love for winning. Roddick and Hewitt do get out of control but it's only because they want to win.

I would rather see Roddick's antics yesterday anyday over the boring efforts of most of the players on tour. How uninterested was Ljubicic yesterday?

Stop crying you freakin babies...at least Andy cares.

Exactly Mista! :yeah:

Ernham
01-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Haas, Safin, Roddick,and Almagro all regularly engage in "mcenroe" type behavior. Andy, however, is the only one that seems to regularly target the other player.

Skyward
01-16-2007, 01:14 AM

IMO, Roddick behavior did not create any drama in this match. :shrug:

tangerine_dream
01-16-2007, 01:38 AM
Just now, Sharapova to chair ump loud and clear: "Are you fucking kidding me?" when he called a let.

It's the slam of the F-bombs :haha:

yomeK
01-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Just now, Sharapova to chair ump loud and clear: "Are you fucking kidding me?" when he called a let.

It's the slam of the F-bombs :haha:

she has been hanigng around him too much. :o :tape:

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 03:27 AM
IMO, Roddick behavior did not create any drama in this match. :shrug:

The fact that the replays were shown all over the news over and over again and the fact that you are still talking about this subject, means there was drama.

Tennis needs a little excitement.

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 03:27 AM
You guys are seriously confusing appalling antics with passion to win.

Skyward
01-16-2007, 04:11 AM
The fact that the replays were shown all over the news over and over again and the fact that you are still talking about this subject, means there was drama.

Tsonga's incredible hitting created some excitement in the 1st set. Roddick's cursing did not add anything valuable.(IMO).

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 04:12 AM
Tsonga's incredible hitting created some excitement in the 1st set. Roddick's cursing did not add anything valuable.(IMO).

Once again, Tsonga's hitting would be subject of dead conversation right now. It's because of Andy's character that you keep coming back.

Skyward
01-16-2007, 04:17 AM
It's because of Andy's character that you keep coming back.

BS. I've never been involved in discussions about Andy's character.

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 04:27 AM
As long as you keep replying bro, it's because Andy caused this stirr...

tennisrocks123
01-16-2007, 04:33 AM
The swearing is ridiculous. Very atrocious and it shows he's has no etiquette. Keep the emotion Andy, but why do you have to be so ridiculous.

sawan66278
01-16-2007, 05:31 AM
When Pat McEnroe starts criticizing Roddick, you know the guy is completely out of line...

And it looks like he has had some influence on Sharapova too...did you see her drop the F-bomb in the third set of her match when addressing the umpire...:mad: :mad: and no warning either for her...

Metis
01-16-2007, 05:35 AM
When Pat McEnroe starts criticizing Roddick, you know the guy is completely out of line...

And it looks like he has had some influence on Sharapova too...did you see her drop the F-bomb in the third set of her match when addressing the umpire...:mad: :mad: and no warning either for her...

At least she apologized right after saying it...

Ernham
01-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Did any of you guys hear Henman in Basel? LOL. This is mother ##$@ing bull%#. You gotta to be $ing kidding me.

Mistaflava
01-16-2007, 05:52 AM
The swearing is ridiculous. Very atrocious and it shows he's has no etiquette. Keep the emotion Andy, but why do you have to be so ridiculous.

The only reason professional tennis is still around is because guys like Johnny Mac had the balls to break etiquette and bring some life to this sport.

tangerine_dream
01-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Did any of you guys hear Henman in Basel? LOL. This is mother ##$@ing bull%#. You gotta to be $ing kidding me.
Bloody well done! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZS_zyaQdEI

Roger drops the S-bomb :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1BIe35skSU

Sharapova drops the F-bomb too :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hkGH4zdg8Q

The part where Roddick says "f---g prick" (we think) :scratch: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB8rCTPkdfE

alfonsojose
01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Bloody well done! ;)

*still waiting for somebody to put Sharapova's f-bomb up on YT* :D

" ..Are u f*cking kiddin me :armed: ? .." :lol:

Lee
01-16-2007, 05:07 PM
:rocker: this thread is growing stronger and stronger everyday!!!

We need a chat thread forum in GM. :rocker2:

kaylee
01-16-2007, 05:11 PM
hahahaha I was there in Toronto last year when Roger said the same thing. It was really unexpected and so funny and he aplogized afterwards but the whole stadium just went quiet! I don't put any emphasis as I play tennis and do the same thing the only difference is that I am not on TV doing it! I don't see the big deal!!!

alfonsojose
01-16-2007, 05:26 PM
:rocker: this thread is growing stronger and stronger everyday!!!

We need a chat thread forum in GM. :rocker2:

this thread is like a grower :aplot:

jeahhh!
01-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Bloody well done! ;)

*still waiting for somebody to put Sharapova's f-bomb up on YT* :D

I know that there are clips of her saying it on YT from other matches

case
01-17-2007, 12:19 AM
11 others got fined.
Once again andy gets away with shit.
Safin wasn't so lucky. I guess it's worse to abuse an inanimate object (racquet) than it is a living human being (Tsonga). Somewhere I think the tennis gods-officials- need to rethink that policy! :banghead:
Is there a favoritism? US commercial thinking (audience advertising)?

This isnt really just about roddick, its also about the stupid way fines are given and to whom.
I cant see much logic in it.
Here's the fine list:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21072065-3162,00.html