ATP chief to players: show the fans some respect [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP chief to players: show the fans some respect

nobama
01-14-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.tennis.com/news/news.aspx?id=59650

ATP chief to players: show the fans some respect
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -ATP chairman Etienne de Villiers has an edict for his elite tennis players: start treating fans with more respect.

In the past week, seven players withdrew from the Sydney International. The most controversial was Russian player Nikolay Davydenko, who was later fined $10,000 for saying that it was a ``small tournament'' that ``nobody cares about.''

De Villiers said he was concerned that 383 players withdrew from men's tournaments last year.

``I'm saying, 'Let's make it a commitment guys','' de Villiers said Sunday in an interview with The Associated Press. ``It's not a reservation or an option. Let's not defraud the fans.

``If you go see U2 at a concert, and at every single concert, one of the band decided not to play, how long would it take you to get teed off?'' said de Villiers. ``If The Edge didn't play, or Bono wasn't there, it would be unthinkable. I tell the players, 'that's what we are doing to our tour'.''

De Villiers said the ATP would also introduce more stringent rules on players pulling out of tournaments ahead of the start, giving players just one ``free'' withdrawal per year before a range of fines or other sanctions take place.

He admitted it was difficult to judge the degree of players' injuries when they pull out during a tournament or in a match.

No. 2-ranked Rafael Nadal pulled out of the Sydney tournament with a groin strain, saying he didn't want to risk his participation in the Australian Open beginning Monday. Dmitry Tursunov and Paradorn Srichaphan also withdrew during the tournament.

De Villiers said he could not be the arbiter of how serious a player's injury was.

``I don't really want to make that judgment call with an athlete that continues to play when they really are carrying an injury,'' he said.

De Villiers reiterated the ATP's need to fine Davydenko heavily.

``He was disrespectful to the game,'' de Villiers said. ``It's hard enough to get fans to come and enjoy this, and it's a lot worse when your own professionals are trashing tournaments. We put a lot of money and spend a lot of time and effort to get the best tournaments we can possibly have, and someone casually trashes it.''

Ernham
01-14-2007, 10:38 PM
``I'm saying, 'Let's make it a commitment guys','' de Villiers said Sunday in an interview with The Associated Press. ``It's not a reservation or an option. Let's not defraud the fans.
'

Should fine yourself for 10k, you jagoff, especially right after you fine the most commited top 50 players and then vomit out this crap.

Saumon
01-14-2007, 10:41 PM
I must have a bad memory but when did Mr Disney show us respect? :confused: :scratch:

El Legenda
01-14-2007, 10:41 PM
he's right on this one.

everyone will say he is wrong. since everyone hates him, but he's right, like it or not.

Johnny Groove
01-14-2007, 10:42 PM
If a player (such as Nadal) doesnt retire from his match against Guccione, and loses in a 3rd set tiebreaker or watever, he is injured and must pull out of the AO. Wouldnt it make more sense to him to have him pull out of Sydney for the big bucks of AO ticket sales? since we all know that cash is Disney's main objective

Johnny Groove
01-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Should fine yourself for 10k, you jagoff, especially right after you fine the most commited top 50 players and then vomit out this crap.

exactly. Kolya plays every week, and he pulls out once and this clown jumps on him :rolleyes:

cobalt60
01-14-2007, 10:43 PM
he's right on this one.

everyone will say he is wrong. since everyone hates him, but he's right, like it or not.

I agree with him as well. That means I agree with you. Oh oh;)

BTW does anyone know if a player gets their appearance fee if they show up but then retire?

scoobs
01-14-2007, 10:47 PM
I agree with him too.

That doesn't mean I condone other things he's doing though. I think he needs to show the fans some respect too

Saumon
01-14-2007, 10:49 PM
BTW does anyone know if a player gets their appearance fee if they show up but then retire?

they often have to do Pro AMs and stuff to get the appearance fee ;)

cobalt60
01-14-2007, 10:53 PM
they often have to do Pro AMs and stuff to get the appearance fee ;)

Thanks for that.

Mistaflava
01-14-2007, 10:57 PM
If the fans who attend tournaments are anything like some of the people who post here on MTF, believe me those fans don't deserve any respect.

Although wrong, I wouldn't mind if one of the players one day jumped in the crowd and beat the shit out of an annoying fan. It's just ridiculous some of the shit that goes on during matches.

betowiec
01-14-2007, 10:59 PM
If the fans who attend tournaments are anything like some of the people who post here on MTF, believe me those fans don't deserve any respect.

Although wrong, I wouldn't mind if one of the players one day jumped in the crowd and beat the shit out of an annoying fan. It's just ridiculous some of the shit that goes on during matches.

spot on
mista

cobalt60
01-14-2007, 11:00 PM

I think on the whole most fans are very respectful at the matches I have been at.

Sjengster
01-14-2007, 11:02 PM
The basic message is laudable enough, but he's still simplifying the issue of withdrawals by placing all the blame on the players, and the U2 analogy seems dubious to me, no matter how much he wants to view tennis as an entertainment business.

383 is a remarkable number, that must be an average of over 3 players per tournament.

cmurray
01-14-2007, 11:34 PM
There HAS to be a comprimise, I'd think. He does have a point...meaning that there are some tournaments (bercy for men and montreal for ladies this year) where the player participation was nothing short of criminal.

On the other hand, if you make a stupid ass rule about pulling out of tournaments, players will just tank their first round match. And then what? Fine them for losing? It's a slippery slope...but I don't know what the answer is.

TheBoiledEgg
01-14-2007, 11:40 PM
MTF to Mr Disney:
Shut the fuck up and stop messing the game up.

Jimnik
01-15-2007, 02:58 AM
Amen. :haha:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Top ATP Player to ATP Chief: Show your players some respect:

Q. How would you rate Etienne de Villiers' first year at the ATP?

ANDY RODDICK: How would I rate it?

Q. Yes.

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I think he needs a little bit more time before we answer that one.

Q. What should he be looking to do?

ANDY RODDICK: Not call his players out publicly.

AnnaK_4ever
01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Top ATP Player to ATP Chief: Show your players some respect:

Q. How would you rate Etienne de Villiers' first year at the ATP?

ANDY RODDICK: How would I rate it?

Q. Yes.

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I think he needs a little bit more time before we answer that one.

Q. What should he be looking to do?

ANDY RODDICK: Not call his players out publicly.

I was going to ask if these words are refering to Davydenko (since my English is not good enough either I'm not sure I've understood Andy correctly) but seems like they are.

Andy, :hug:

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
I was going to ask if these words are refering to Davydenko (since my English is not good enough either I'm not sure I've understood Andy correctly) but seems like they are.

Andy, :hug:I'm assuming that's what he meant. I can't imagine what else it would've been about. :)

nobama
01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Here's what Mr Disney said about fining a guy like Fed if he made comments like Davydenko did.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=302831&type=Sport
When asked if Roger Federer would be fined if he criticized a tournament as Davydenko did, de Villiers quickly replied "yes."

"But Roger wouldn't, and that's the difference," de Villiers said. "Roger doesn't like the round-robin (a new format for some tournaments this year), but when Roger is asked about the round-robin, he says: "It's not important what I think. What's important is what the fan wants."

"That's not being dishonest," added de Villiers. "It's being really professional."I'm not sure where he got the quote from because I've never heard Fed say he thinks fans want RR. In fact yesterday he basically came out and said the players don't like RR and it's to early to tell if the fans do. Is Mr Disney going to fine him for saying players hate RR and he hopes the format doesn't exist in 2008?

*Ljubica*
01-17-2007, 04:17 PM
When Mr. Disney starts showing fans some respect himself, instead of changing the rules of the game every 5 minutes and treating us like idiots, then perhaps he can diss the players.

tangerine_dream
01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Found this over at tennis-x:
ATP President Etienne de Villiers on on-court coaching: "...fan-based research we've done tells me very strongly that coaches should not be allowed on the tennis court...What came through very clearly is that this is a gladiatorial contest -- it's mano a mano, woman against woman...And there's something very magical about that, so let's not mess with it."
Wasn't he all gung-ho for oncourt coaching before?

mariana.ml
01-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Mr. Disney is a joke :ras:

Action Jackson
10-29-2007, 04:58 AM
Since when did Disney ever give a fuck about the fans.

Johnny Groove
10-29-2007, 05:04 AM
George, are you bored?

For what purpose did you just bump a 9.5 month old thread?

trixtah
10-29-2007, 05:52 AM

They aren't, simply because the anonymity granted by the internet turns people into douchebags. I bet most of the assholes on this board, myself included, are a little more reserved--deserving fans in real life...

alelysafina
10-29-2007, 07:03 AM

I will agree with you on that one, tournament fans can be so disrespectful and I find that it's those fans who only go to tourneys because its something to do and that really don't follow tennis are the one's who cause the most problems. I really do not think that the people on MTF would be disrespectful at matches.

alelysafina
10-29-2007, 07:03 AM
But to the post, I really think it is unfair for Mr. Disney to be calling out Nikolay. Who's plays the most tournaments year round? Nikolay.

OUt of the top 8 current in the race for Shanghai here are the tourney's played:

Roger Federer: 14
Rafael Nadal: 18
Novak Djokovic: 20
Nikolay Davydenko: 28
Andy Roddick: 16
Fernando Gonzalez: 19
David Ferrer: 23
Tommy Haas: 17

Who's being being disrespectful to the fans by dropping out?!!? Nikolay?!!? Who entered twice as many tournaments as the number one; ten more than the number two; eight more than the number 3; 12 more than the number 5; 9 more than the number 6; 5 more than the number 7 and 11 more than the number eight.

Nikolay is the most active player on tour and Disney has the fucking audacity to put out a statement pretty much berating him for dropping out of a tournament or two?!? Even if he did drop out of one, two, even three tournaments, he'd still lead with most tournament appearances.

Nikolay is the most visible Fourth ranked player in the game and whether or not someone chooses to see that is up to them, but that will not make the facts go away, he's played more tournaments this year and will continue to to be play tournaments. He's the most visible player on tour and Mr. Disney is not only showing his idiocy with these stamtents, but he's showing how much he really doesn't care for the sport by not even getting his fact straight.

leng jai
10-29-2007, 07:09 AM
How many of the 28 has he fixed?

trixtah
10-29-2007, 07:22 AM
A bit fewer than your neuron count? I dno...you tell me. So do you want that number at 1 or 28 :D

This asshole "atp chief" needs to show the players some respect even if he is right to some degree

alelysafina
10-29-2007, 07:33 AM
How many of the 28 has he fixed?

What does that have to do with it? He plays more tournaments = he is the most visible, end of story. What does the alleged (and completely false) fixing accusation have to do with anything?

leng jai
10-29-2007, 07:38 AM
What does that have to do with it? He plays more tournaments = he is the most visible, end of story. What does the alleged (and completely false) fixing accusation have to do with anything?

Yeah Kolya's matches aren't sus at all :rolleyes:

Um if he really is tanking these mickey mouse tournaments then how is that showing the fans any respect? It most be really cool turning up to a match involving a top 5 player and watching them play like ass against some random ranked 60 places lower.

alelysafina
10-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Yeah Kolya's matches aren't sus at all :rolleyes:

Yeah, because that's exactly the subject we're on. Please if you want to argue with someone about that go to the thread for it. I've said my piece, you can believe it or not, but I'm not explaining myself to any more of you people because I know it'll just fall on deaf ears.

Um if he really is tanking these mickey mouse tournaments then how is that showing the fans any respect? It most be really cool turning up to a match involving a top 5 player and watching them play like ass against some random ranked 60 places lower.

Please, one ump thought he tanked. And because umpires are the be all and end all of what a situation is, you should really take everything someone says word for word, don't bother doing the research, just follow blindly, oh and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

leng jai
10-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Yeah, because that's exactly the subject we're on. Please if you want to argue with someone about that go to the thread for it. I've said my piece, you can believe it or not, but I'm not explaining myself to any more of you people because I know it'll just fall on deaf ears.

Please, one ump thought he tanked. And because umpires are the be all and end all of what a situation is, you should really take everything someone says word for word, don't bother doing the research, just follow blindly, oh and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

You're the one saying that allegations of him match fixing are completely false based on the fact you're a biased fangirl.

Yeah I'm really basing my opinions of his match fixing based on that one match.... I love how you fail to mentioned that certain other match with the ridiculous betting patterns going on. Yeah don't mention that match, whos the one blindly follwing their own fangirlism?

alelysafina
10-29-2007, 09:02 AM
You're the one saying that allegations of him match fixing are completely false based on the fact you're a biased fangirl.

Yeah I'm really basing my opinions of his match fixing based on that one match.... I love how you fail to mentioned that certain other match with the ridiculous betting patterns going on. Yeah don't mention that match, whos the one blindly follwing their own fangirlism?

Please, if you look back on my posts, you'd know that yes I am a Nikolay fan, but I am also capable of having an unbiased opinion because unlike others I know that there are always two sides to a story and I don't like to point fingers if I don't have all of the facts.

I've told you before, I've said my piece about this alleged "fixing" you can believe it or not, but I know that there is not one ounce concrete proof that Nikolay was ever involved in fixing the match. There is a lot of speculation, but nothing has been factually and unarguably pointed towards the direction that Nikolay had anything to do with it. Can you seriously tell me that I am lying or being biased?