Federer- Nadal must change his game or will wear himself out [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer- Nadal must change his game or will wear himself out

Johnny Groove
01-14-2007, 09:11 PM
:devil: :devil: :devil:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21058199-5001023,00.html

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-14-2007, 09:13 PM
What Federer is really implying - Nadal better change his game otherwise i'll keep losing to him and I don't wanna do that :devil:

deliveryman
01-14-2007, 09:13 PM
He's absolutely right.

It's just plain physics and biology.

Flibbertigibbet
01-14-2007, 09:15 PM
He says nothing as provocative or definite as the headline might indicate. :p

Adler
01-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Damn. Thread for serious discussion, but it will turn into another tard war

cmurray
01-14-2007, 09:18 PM
:devil: :devil: :devil:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21058199-5001023,00.html

He's right. :shrug:

Rafa knows it too. I don't think it's probably Federer's business to discuss Rafa's tennis proclivities to the press, but it doesn't change the truth of what he's said.

KaxMisha
01-14-2007, 09:20 PM
What Federer is really implying - Nadal better change his game otherwise i'll keep losing to him and I don't wanna do that :devil:

YEAH! THAT MUST BE IT! OMFG! :retard:

P.S. LJUBICIC SUCKZ!

El Legenda
01-14-2007, 09:20 PM

Rafa knows it too. I don't think it's probably Federer's business to discuss Rafa's tennis proclivities to the press, but it doesn't change the truth of what he's said.

i doubt Roger was the one who brought it up...he was probably asked to talk about Nadals game.

Naranoc
01-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Less than 2 hours until the matches start, so this should entertain 'til then.

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-14-2007, 09:23 PM
YEAH! THAT MUST BE IT! OMFG! :retard:

P.S. LJUBICIC SUCKZ!
Its a joke you fool, seems your intelligence is not high enough to get that.

But I actually agree with you on your second point ;)

Sunset of Age
01-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Uh_oh. Excellent material for a new stupid tardwar coming up... :rolleyes:

The pic text says it quite a bit more subtle: "Rafael Nadal is in danger of wearing himself out", says Roger Federer.

I can't see anything wrong with this quote. Apart from the fact that he's most probably been asked to comment on Rafa's game - journalists do that all the time, no? ;) - he's also very right on this, and I highly doubt Rafa isn't aware of it, too. Why else would he do so much effort to try and adapt his game?

Rafa's game style is a very energy-consuming one, and he'll get older too - not a bad thought to anticipate on that.

And I know some of you will bash me on this, but why always judge Rogi's comments so negatively? He might just as well have wanted to provide some well-meant advice to Rafa... in fact, I think that if anything, that was his primal intention.

And now I'd just like to add that I hope ya all will manage to behave yourselves for a bit in this thread... :angel:

Metis
01-14-2007, 09:45 PM
At least this time Roger didn't say Nadal's game is ***-***********. He is making progress.

:lol:

Adler
01-14-2007, 09:46 PM
And I know some of you will bash me on this, but why always judge Rogi's comments so negatively?
People like to be entertained. And nothing is as much entertaining as a good fight. Pity, no?

Sunset of Age
01-14-2007, 09:50 PM
^^ I guess you're right. Sad, sad world...

atheneglaukopis
01-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Pity, no?Intentional or not, that was very funny. :lol:

Adler
01-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Intentional or not, that was very funny. :lol:
Intentional, mate, 100% intentional ;)
Anyway, I think Roger is right and he's not the only one who says that

atheneglaukopis
01-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Intentional, mate, 100% intentional ;)Good for you, then. :yeah:

Ernham
01-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Reasons I don't agree with this bit of a stunt:

EVERYONE knows Nadal's style of play is brutal on the body, which, of course, will shorten his career. It's not as if Federer is granting the tennis world some unappreciated bit of wisdom only his "tennis brain" could come up with.

I felt the same way about the one-X comments he said previously about Nadal . Even though I entirely agree with him on both issues, it just comes off as sour grapes because everyone knows these things anyway, assuming that they are not raving tennis cranks. It's a little less sour grapes in this case since Fed is coming off a win against Nadal. Still, let the pundits and the fans do the slagging, you just work on getting that calendar year slam .

nobama
01-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Another Federer thread started by a non-Fed fan. Brilliant. :yeah:

sykotique
01-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Federer usually has to answer the questions posted to him by journalists. If anything, his only problem is that he is honest to a fault (re: Djokovic).

Federer has an old-school idea of what respect is. He probably figures he is respecting his opponents by not heaping false praise on them. Generally, if during an interview, a reporter asks Roger a direct question, he will give a direct answer. The problem is that you can't judge arrogance from written words. Many times, I myself have been guilty of thinking Federer was a bit arrogant in his comments, and then when I see the video of the interview on Youtube or somewhere else, I realise he's just being straightforward and honest.

Can't say I can find much fault with anything here. It's not only very true, but it looks like he said it with the best intentions, like advice to Nadal.

Deboogle!.
01-14-2007, 10:36 PM

i doubt Roger was the one who brought it up...he was probably asked to talk about Nadals game.That's pretty much what I was gonna say. Players are asked about other players all the time.

Anyway, arguing about comments as nebulous as that are really trying to make a mountain out of a molehill... wouldn't it be nice if people wouldn't take the bait and just didn't argue about it? :lol:

DwyaneWade
01-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Federer usually has to answer the questions posted to him by journalists. If anything, his only problem is that he is honest to a fault (re: Djokovic).

Federer has an old-school idea of what respect is. He probably figures he is respecting his opponents by not heaping false praise on them. Generally, if during an interview, a reporter asks Roger a direct question, he will give a direct answer. The problem is that you can't judge arrogance from written words. Many times, I myself have been guilty of thinking Federer was a bit arrogant in his comments, and then when I see the video of the interview on Youtube or somewhere else, I realise he's just being straightforward and honest.

Can't say I can find much fault with anything here. It's not only very true, but it looks like he said it with the best intentions, like advice to Nadal.

Same here, the transcript often comes across as condescending but he is just speaking the truth.

Anyways he is right here, Nadal should listen to him, and the title of the article is sensationalistic.

23 mins and counting!!!

NYCtennisfan
01-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Obviously Federer is a Fedtard.

Shabazza
01-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Anyway, arguing about comments as nebulous as that are really trying to make a mountain out of a molehill... wouldn't it be nice if people wouldn't take the bait and just didn't argue about it? :lol:

Wouldn't that make MTF and it's GS section quite boring?! ;)

scoobs
01-14-2007, 10:42 PM
As usual, I agree with what Federer has said - it's nothing but obvious that Nadal, if he wants several years at the top of the game, is going to have to impose himself more and shorten points and shorten matches. It's just common sense. Otherwise at best he will go the Hewitt route and just find himself still a great player but not able to challenge for the top - at worst he'll end up like Guga with perpetual injury problems clouding his later years.

Also as usual, I wish Federer would be a bit more circumspect and not allow himself to be drawn on what he thinks of this or that about Nadal. Whatever he may think, he doesn't have to share it with the media all the time.

uglyamerican
01-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Also as usual, I wish Federer would be a bit more circumspect and not allow himself to be drawn on what he thinks of this or that about Nadal. Whatever he may think, he doesn't have to share it with the media all the time.

It almost seems like Roger is constantly surrounded by sycophants who think every time he speaks they are receiving a blessing.

sykotique
01-14-2007, 10:53 PM

True. If he hasn't already, he'll have to realise that as one of the most dominant players ever to play the game, he'll have reporters hanging on to his every word, ready either to raise him up on a pedestal for his "humility" or drag him down to earth for his "arrogance."

I find people a little too extremist in trying to classify players. It's either, this player is so humble or this player is so arrogant. I don't think Federer is oh-so-humble or far-too-arrogant. I think he's a normal guy, with his faults. He strikes me as awfully average Joe (outside of his tennis, of course).

cmurray
01-14-2007, 10:54 PM
That's pretty much what I was gonna say. Players are asked about other players all the time.

I didn't think I was arguing?????? :confused: I agree with Roger, actually.

As for answering questions...yep. He was probably asked. I'm not saying he was way out of line...he didn't say anything untrue or disparraging. That still doesn't make it his job to offer Rafa unsolicited playing advice.

It's not a big deal, actually. In fact, I don't see ANYONE (as yet) arguing in this thread.

buzz
01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
:D:D

buzz
01-14-2007, 11:05 PM
True. If he hasn't already, he'll have to realise that as one of the most dominant players ever to play the game, he'll have reporters hanging on to his every word, ready either to raise him up on a pedestal for his "humility" or drag him down to earth for his "arrogance."

I find people a little too extremist in trying to classify players. It's either, this player is so humble or this player is so arrogant. I don't think Federer is oh-so-humble or far-too-arrogant. I think he's a normal guy, with his faults. He strikes me as awfully average Joe (outside of his tennis, of course).

yeah, but if he wants to stay this normal guy he has to answer all(most) questions. Just be relaxed nothing to hide atleast IMHO.

JustmeUK
01-14-2007, 11:07 PM
As for answering questions...yep. He was probably asked. I'm not saying he was way out of line...he didn't say anything untrue or disparraging. That still doesn't make it his job to offer Rafa unsolicited playing advice.

Make up your mind.. was he asked? or was he offering unsolicited advice? If he was indeed asked then how is it unsolicited advice? DUH?!

nobama
01-14-2007, 11:07 PM
As usual, I agree with what Federer has said - it's nothing but obvious that Nadal, if he wants several years at the top of the game, is going to have to impose himself more and shorten points and shorten matches. It's just common sense. Otherwise at best he will go the Hewitt route and just find himself still a great player but not able to challenge for the top - at worst he'll end up like Guga with perpetual injury problems clouding his later years.

Also as usual, I wish Federer would be a bit more circumspect and not allow himself to be drawn on what he thinks of this or that about Nadal. Whatever he may think, he doesn't have to share it with the media all the time.Funny how people laud Davydenko for speaking his mind and not being PC but yet Fed should be more careful when speaking about Nadal (or anyone else I guess). I'm assuming this was from his pre-AO presser. I don't think those have been published yet (at least the AO site doesn't have any interviews up yet). So do we even know how the subject came up or what question he was asked?

nobama
01-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Make up your mind.. was he asked? or was he offering unsolicited advice? If he was indeed asked then how is it unsolicited advice? DUH?!DUH I don't think Nadal was asking for his advice. :retard:

JustmeUK
01-14-2007, 11:12 PM
DUH I don't think Nadal was asking for his advice. :retard:

DUH BUT Roger was asked by a journalist no? If he is ASKED a question it cannot be unsolicited advice. It's not as if he was spouting off in front of a crowd.

cmurray
01-14-2007, 11:18 PM
DUH BUT Roger was asked by a journalist no? If he is ASKED a question it cannot be unsolicited advice. It's not as if he was spouting off in front of a crowd.

Was he advising the journalist on his or her tennis play? no? Then it's unsolicited advice. But as I said (I LOVE how you ignore all the parts of my post you don't want to whine about), it's truly no harm done. I doubt highly if Rafa is offended by that statement. And if he isn't, I don't see why anyone else should be.

sykotique
01-14-2007, 11:18 PM
No one's taking Roger to task on this. We're just saying that if his priority is to avoid being trashed by trolls on a message board, then he should watch what he says...

...wait, that didn't come out right.

cobalt60
01-14-2007, 11:19 PM
No one's taking Roger to task on this. We're just saying that if his priority is to avoid being trashed by trolls on a message board, then he should watch what he says...

Are you sure? ;)

cmurray
01-14-2007, 11:20 PM

I could see how that would be top on his list....:lol:

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 12:05 AM

First worthy statement of the thread! :lol:

R.Federer
01-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Seriously though, it's very charitable of Roger to give advice like this. :angel:

NYCtennisfan
01-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Seriously though, it's very charitable of Roger to give advice like this. :angel:

He'll be coaching Rafito in about 3 years so it's good to see him getting caught up on things.

mangoes
01-15-2007, 01:10 AM
He'll be coaching Rafito in about 3 years so it's good to see him getting caught up on things.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mistaflava
01-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Roger shouldn't speak...Bjorn Phau just broke him twice in the first set.

It was probably Mirka who fed Roger some hamburgers and fries last night. What a pig.

scoobs
01-15-2007, 01:25 AM
Funny how people laud Davydenko for speaking his mind and not being PC but yet Fed should be more careful when speaking about Nadal (or anyone else I guess). I'm assuming this was from his pre-AO presser. I don't think those have been published yet (at least the AO site doesn't have any interviews up yet). So do we even know how the subject came up or what question he was asked?

I haven't lauded Davydenko for speaking his mind.

I said he'd shown an excess of honesty. One of the key words there, though, was "excess" - I though he should have been more circumspect.

Allure
01-15-2007, 01:31 AM
I bet his computer has Federer wallpaper. :rolleyes:

:worship: :haha:

nobama
01-15-2007, 07:42 AM
The actual question & answer:

Q. After the Masters Cup, Rafael Nadal talked about working very hard, changing things with his game, maybe his serve, becoming more aggressive. Are you expecting to notice anything significantly different about how Rafa is going to play?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I think in the next few years, we'll see him adjusting his game because of maybe the physical strain to his body and everything. You know, he's young. He's still got time to really work on his game, try to come in more, try to improve his slice, try to improve his backhand. I have no clue. He's got plenty of things to work with. The only question is, Is that going to make him have more success? Because in the end, it's your base that's going to make you win most of the matches, you know.
So it's going to be interesting to see. I'm looking forward to playing him again, seeing if he's changed anything. I haven't seen him at all, so I can't really comment on that. Can see after this tournament.

Ernham
01-15-2007, 08:24 AM
I can't speak for anyone else who defended Davydenko, but I have no problem with what Roger said.

(And most of those who were defending Davydenko weren't quite lauding him for his words. Rather, they were pointing out that he simply said what others have already been thinking; that his punishment didn't fit his "crime"; and that his intent wasn't to to insult - just like I don't think Roger's intent in this instance was to insult. :shrug: )

Well, I defended Davydenko, too, though this incident is not quite the same, as Federer is completely fluent in English and is a sort of "super star" of tennis, thus anything he says gets magnified a hundred times by the microscope of the media. I think the comments are fine but undermine his image, since they can come off as sour grapes. Having reread the actual question and his response, though, he didn't really seem to tanget much from the topic in order to state those things, so i'm even less critical of the comments, though they can still rub off as sour grapes.

mer
01-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Having reread the actual question and his response, though, he didn't really seem to tanget much from the topic in order to state those things, so i'm even less critical of the comments, though they can still rub off as sour grapes.
In both Davy and Fed's case as well as in the majority of supposedely controversial statements players make, it's in fact media which take the words out of context, exaggerate them and make controversial. It's sad that mtf is so ready to jump on players and bash them every time over nothing.

JustmeUK
01-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Was he advising the journalist on his or her tennis play? no? Then it's unsolicited advice. But as I said (I LOVE how you ignore all the parts of my post you don't want to whine about), it's truly no harm done. I doubt highly if Rafa is offended by that statement. And if he isn't, I don't see why anyone else should be.

and again you simply show your lack of logic. did u even read the interview? here's the relevant part as kindly posted by mirkaland.

Q. After the Masters Cup, Rafael Nadal talked about working very hard, changing things with his game, maybe his serve, becoming more aggressive. Are you expecting to notice anything significantly different about how Rafa is going to play?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I think in the next few years, we'll see him adjusting his game because of maybe the physical strain to his body and everything. You know, he's young. He's still got time to really work on his game, try to come in more, try to improve his slice, try to improve his backhand. I have no clue. He's got plenty of things to work with. The only question is, Is that going to make him have more success? Because in the end, it's your base that's going to make you win most of the matches, you know.
So it's going to be interesting to see. I'm looking forward to playing him again, seeing if he's changed anything. I haven't seen him at all, so I can't really comment on that. Can see after this tournament.

where does Roger advise Nadal? he lists things (in response to a specific question) that Nadal could work on to improve his game (as every pro would have been doing in the off season) and then goes on to say he has no clue as to what Rafa has worked on in the off season. unfortunately, you are as usual blind to your anti-roger sentiments and see it as unsolicited Roger advice but then try to dismiss it as nothing to get worked up about. next time before posting, I suggest you try and track down the original article rather than making grand statements on 3rd hand information.

MariaV
01-15-2007, 09:42 AM
And what's all this fuss about? Fed was asked a question and he answered what he thought Rafa could improve. Very nice answer in fact.
And Rafa indeed said himself he had worked on his serve and changed a few things. I'm not gonna quote his itw here.

t0x
01-15-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't see the big deal... Nadal says he's trying to improve and become more aggressive, Federer thinks it's a good idea - he just gives a reason why.

calvinhobbes
01-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Federer plays like Mozart.
Nadal plays like Beethoven.
Struggle, storm and harsh self destruction are Beethoven´s approach to his art.
Mozart foresaw the inner nature of his young colleague and predicted: "Look at him. He´ll give the world plenty of stuff to talk about".
Some historians believe this was envy.
Most of historians believe Mozart had nothing to envy about, and that he was only giving a subtle advice. . . .
An unsolicited one, for that matter.:cool: :)

Peoples
01-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Very true

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Very true

Not just that - very nice of him as well.

Fedever
01-16-2007, 04:33 AM

EXACTLY!

Carito_90
01-16-2007, 04:40 AM
Well, as true as it may be, people also said Roddick's shoulder wouldn't last long if he kept serving the way he did, and yet he's been proving them very wrong so far by having had only one little problem in his shoulder some time ago. :shrug:

Only time will tell. :)

Allez
01-16-2007, 05:28 AM
I totally agree with this. Stop the commentary on all these other players. I'm sure they're aware of what they need to do. If he's asked about Nadal's game, he ought to just tell the reporter (nicely) to go and ask Nadal or Uncle Toni instead. Otherwise he's leaving himself open to criticism and possibly embarrassment if/when he goes on to lose to Nadal.

DrJules
01-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Intentional, mate, 100% intentional ;)
Anyway, I think Roger is right and he's not the only one who says that

Nadal is already aware of the physical demands on his body. Was that not the reason Nadal was making changes?

FluffyYellowBall
01-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Nadal is already aware of the physical demands on his body. Was that not the reason Nadal was making changes?

yea. I wotn say that itsthe reason hes been losing recently but its definately played part.

He chenged a few things last year during the hard court season (his grip but i didnt noticeit that much) Now hes changed his serve but still needs to work on finishing the poiint quicker which hes doing but often misses.

UncleZeke
01-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Fed knows what he's talking about.

almouchie
01-16-2007, 07:24 AM
i dont think its the best kept secret, that nadal aggressive unrelenting style consuming energy & more effort, &
it will take its toll on his body. He has been injured in the past & at this young age , he has to schedule his year better & get lots of rest
Federer has been lucky & avoided any serious long term injury & know what it takes to survive on tour
people just thirve on contraversy, it doesnt matter what roger would have said

CmonAussie
01-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Federer usually has to answer the questions posted to him by journalists. If anything, his only problem is that he is honest to a fault (re: Djokovic).:cool:

:wavey:
Totally agree with you;)
Federer is liable to put his foot in it sometimes simply because he can be overly frank when given a direct question:worship: .. That`s really one of the things I admire about him & that makes him unique from other top sportsmen [like overly PC Tiger Woods or overly/falsely humble Nadal]><...

Don`t get me wroing~ I`m also a fan of both Woods & Nadal;) ..

The thing is in this day & age it`s simply quite dangerous to be honest:sad: .. So the liars & pretenders will possibly end up getting better press:eek: :devil: ..

Federer is a complete natural in many regards, not just his playing style, but also the way he picked up 4-languages without being particularly academic, also this spills over to his interviews~ give him a question & he won`t hide amonst a sea of ambiguity or PC language [unlike some];) :cool: :angel: ..

MTwEeZi
08-19-2012, 01:59 AM
Fed knows what he's talking about.

:sad:

Topspindoctor
08-19-2012, 02:02 AM
I wish Nadal became a serve bot he was in USO 2010 :sad:

Mountaindewslave
08-19-2012, 02:03 AM
kind of irrelevant... his game didnt wear Nadal out for a portion of a decade, and obviously because of it he was able to win many majors. His game works as is but maybe he needs to play fewer tournaments. in 2007 Federer obviously was very wrong about Nadal needing to change his grinding game given how much success the Malcorcan has had

grahampros
08-19-2012, 03:11 AM
kind of irrelevant... his game didnt wear Nadal out for a portion of a decade, and obviously because of it he was able to win many majors. His game works as is but maybe he needs to play fewer tournaments. in 2007 Federer obviously was very wrong about Nadal needing to change his grinding game given how much success the Malcorcan has had

Actually it's very relevant. Fed was just one of many who have been saying for years that longevity will be Nadal's challenge based on how he plays. That prediction has been proving to be correct. He is unlikely to match Fed in total career records because his body has failed him a lot. You have to have the longevity at the top to rack up the records, and Nadal is failing on that count.

Pirata.
08-19-2012, 03:39 AM
what a bump

tripwires
08-19-2012, 04:50 AM
I thought this was a new thread, not one from 5 years ago.

howyesno
08-19-2012, 04:54 AM
I thought this was a new thread, not one from 5 years ago.

MTwEeZi didn't want to rush things, he took his time to think about this one.

Mercury
08-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Relevant bump none the less. We all knew what Federer said in 2007 was true and so far it has damaged Nadal on multiple occasions, hopefully he can bounce back but with his style of play, I can't see him going till the age of 30. Maybe retire at 28 or something?

Houstonko
08-19-2012, 06:02 AM
If Nadal shorten points Roger will gain upper hand immediately. Rafa gonna hit many errors because he dont have the game to play short points.

habibko
08-19-2012, 06:45 AM
He is unlikely to match Fed in total career records because his body has failed him a lot.

he wouldn't have won anything significant if he tried to play in any other way as he can't play any other style, what he's left with is his limited and monotonous game which will eventually destroy his body as many foretold

he severely lacks what all true all-time greats had: brilliant first-strike tennis

ssj100
08-19-2012, 07:36 AM
he wouldn't have won anything significant if he tried to play in any other way as he can't play any other style, what he's left with is his limited and monotonous game which will eventually destroy his body as many foretold

he severely lacks what all true all-time greats had: brilliant first-strike tennis

That makes complete sense. Well done. Great insight.

Mountaindewslave
08-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Actually it's very relevant. Fed was just one of many who have been saying for years that longevity will be Nadal's challenge based on how he plays. That prediction has been proving to be correct. He is unlikely to match Fed in total career records because his body has failed him a lot. You have to have the longevity at the top to rack up the records, and Nadal is failing on that count.

Nadal started playing at the pro level at a much younger age than most professional tennis players do.... at 16 he had the success Federer had at 20..... if you add in the couple year differential of Nadal starting early, he really already has a TON of miles on his body. no matter how you play that will begin to wear on a player. also it's foolish for you OR Federer to claim at any point that Nadal should play with a different style, as though that is some simple easy task. You do grasp the concept that he has the skills that he has, and that he HAS WON SO MANY GRAND SLAMS because**** of his grinding gamestyle. it's his running around and hitting punishing forehand after punishing forehand that has made him successful. you take away that style and guess what would happen? Nadal would be outplayed. he had to do his best with the style that suited him. you clearly have not played tennis very much if you think it's that easy to adjust your style.

Federer was just pointing out the obvious but it actually sounds a bit naive coming from him considering he of all people should know that you can't magically go from a being a defensive player to an offensive player, it just never happens. Nadal has been on tour for quite a long time with surprisingly few injuries and with massive success- obviously he would not go back in time and adjust his style of play because it would likely result in LESS SUCCESS. for 7 or so seasons Nadal's technique and grinding style kept him on the top of the mens game and now you dare to lecture him about it wearing down his body. unbelievably naive

Mountaindewslave
08-19-2012, 07:51 AM

I mean he is a true all time great so I am confused about your sentence and hoping you are not trying to imply something to discredit Nadal?

you are correct in your comments however regarding the fact that Nadal had to play the way he has played to succeed on the tour. differentiating it was not an option because it's like going shopping for shoes, if the shoe fits then you are pretty much stuck wearing it. Nadal does not have the right skillset to play a Federer like style

Litotes
08-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Nadal started playing at the pro level at a much younger age than most professional tennis players do.... at 16 he had the success Federer had at 20.....

I agree with the first, not the second. Federer was ranked in the top 10 before 21 and won a Masters. He was ranked 14 at his 20th birthday. Nadal at 16 moved his ranking from 592 at first to 75 in time for his 17th birthday. Even when he turned 18 he had never been ranked higher than 34 and had yet to win a title - his first was Sopot when he was 18yrs 2mths.

HKz
08-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Any talk of Nadal needing to change his game is utterly silly. Fact is, Nadal's game heavily relies on how he has played over the years. Actually going for winners more often and making points short will ultimately make him a worse player, regardless of how it might affect his body physically. Sure, he can shorten "some" points, but we have seen over the years that much of Nadal's strategy especially against the best players has been trying to consistently barrage his opponent's game down. I mean it irks me when people say "why doesn't Rafa just flatten out his shots" or "why doesn't Rafa hit more flat serves" etc... These are changes you make when you are younger, not when you are at the tail end of your career. Sure, he can for example, improve his serve, but his serve has been extremely important for his game, even though he doesn't get a lot of aces or whatever, it just works with his game (high 1st% serve percentage, attacking weaker side of opponent, pull them off the court immediately on the ad side, etc).

His grips and tactics are ingrained into him. As said a trillion times, the only thing that'll lengthen Rafa's time on the tour is a better schedule. That shit should have been done years ago. It'll hurt him for his ranking as he won't be able to rack as many points as he had been in the past by sheer quantity, but it'll save him a little more especially for clay and the slams which are a much better chance for him and certainly more important.

The Fearhand
08-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Everyone was saying this back in the day. Maybe Nadal should've listened to those people and he wouldn't be in the state he is today. I'm referring to his schedule.

Johnny Groove
08-19-2012, 01:37 PM
I think he has tried to alter his schedule, at least since 2009, but he was/is encompassed by getting back that #1 ranking, his career's biggest flaw. And this means playing Indian Wells, Miami, Canada, Cincy, Barcelona, Madrid, etc.

He ought to play:

AO
Acapulco
Miami
Monte Carlo
Rome
RG
Wimbledon
Cincy
USO
Shanghai
Paris
WTF

Decent results, along with 2 slams may get him that #1 :shrug:

Ash86
08-19-2012, 02:57 PM
I think he has tried to alter his schedule, at least since 2009, but he was/is encompassed by getting back that #1 ranking, his career's biggest flaw. And this means playing Indian Wells, Miami, Canada, Cincy, Barcelona, Madrid, etc.

He ought to play:

AO
Acapulco
Miami
Monte Carlo
Rome
RG
Wimbledon
Cincy
USO
Shanghai
Paris
WTF

Decent results, along with 2 slams may get him that #1 :shrug:

Agree with a lot of that - slight changes though:

Doha (he needs prep for a slam and a few matches there don't hurt too much compared to benefit of match practice pre-Open)
Acapulco - agree this needs to replace Tokyo/Beijing.
Miami - think he'll find it hard to skip IW for a lot of reasons but it would be a good choice - needs to target Miami as the one MS he really should win before he retires. Cincy, Shanghai, Paris it's understandable - but Miami suits his game and would be a great one to get.
MC
Barcelona - MC, Barca, 2 weeks off, Rome, week off, RG seems do-able still. Missing both Barcelona and Madrid seems excessive. He should play less, but still play to his strengths to get more titles. Barcelona is a title and record pretty much wrapped up for him.
Rome
RG
Halle/Queens - needs a warm-up. Can tank as he usually does but don't think he can come onto grass cold.
Wimbledon
Cincy - he does better at Rogers Cup but Cincy probably a better warm up conditions wise and nearer to the Open. Skipping Rogers Cup gives him more time to recover over the summer.
US Open
Paris (No need to play both Shanghai and Paris. Travelling to Asia not really worth it at this point. Prefer Shanghai as a tournament that he has more chance to win and now that there's no break between Paris and the WTF it seems annoying too. But probably better to just treat Paris as an indoor warm up and try and win a WTF somehow).
WTF

So - all 4 slams, WTF, 5 Masters, 2 500s, 2 250s = 14 total tournaments.

I actually don't think he'll reduce his schedule anything like this much though. My impression is next year he'll skip Madrid for sure, maybe Barcelona (depending on how much he plays on HCs early in the year - though missing both the Spanish tournaments might be tough to do PR wise) and then most of Asia and Paris indoor. Don't see him missing IW/Miami/Rogers Cup/Cincy in 2013.

timafi
08-19-2012, 03:00 PM
waste of time when it comes down to Nadal.As soon as he gets temporarily "healthy" again he'll be back to running down every single point as if his life depended on it to force his opponent to make errors,that's how it goes and he'll play every single clay court tournaments again come next year

same shit,different year=same horrible knees

Sapeod
08-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Let him wear himself out. The sooner he slips down the rankings, the better. That said, I'm sure he'll last a little longer.

EnriqueIG8
08-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Interesting, yeah?

http://i48.tinypic.com/2euivy9.jpg

superslam77
08-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Let him wear himself out. The sooner he slips down the rankings, the better. That said, I'm sure he'll last a little longer.

amen dude

Topspindoctor
08-23-2012, 12:21 AM

Still won't let Mugray win a slam, so I dunno why you hating.

stewietennis
08-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Nadal's style is heavily based on his physicality, so as the body goes, so does his game. It's in stark contrast to Federer who can mask physical decline with tactics, which is what his game is primarily based on. Nadal needs to cut back on tournaments – clay season, majors, world tour finals and some other Masters 1000 tournaments should be his aim. The others – davis cup, 250 tournaments, exhibitions – should be eliminated entirely.

Mr. Oracle
08-23-2012, 04:18 AM
Interesting, yeah?

http://i48.tinypic.com/2euivy9.jpg

This is very insightful.

Mr. Oracle
08-23-2012, 04:19 AM

Don't be envious kid or the green monster will get you from under yer bed! Say your prayers or there will be trouble 4 sure.

Whiznot
08-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Nadal would last a lot longer is he didn't try to make every shot a forehand. Rafa has a good backhand that would become even better if he could learn to trust it. Hitting all forehands is like covering a court and a half.

Honestly
08-23-2012, 04:51 AM

:lol:

duong
08-23-2012, 03:11 PM
The comments Enrique posted from American doctors fit what I read from French physios in the past.

A natural question would be : "how much of this came from having to change his shoes and so on because of his congenital foot problem ?

Federer was just pointing out the obvious but it actually sounds a bit naive coming from him considering he of all people should know that you can't magically go from a being a defensive player to an offensive player, it just never happens. Nadal has been on tour for quite a long time with surprisingly few injuries and with massive success- obviously he would not go back in time and adjust his style of play because it would likely result in LESS SUCCESS. for 7 or so seasons Nadal's technique and grinding style kept him on the top of the mens game and now you dare to lecture him about it wearing down his body. unbelievably naive

if you really read what Federer said, he addressed what you said and Nadal actually went in the direction Fed indicated :

"I think in the next few years, we'll see him adjusting his game because of maybe the physical strain to his body and everything," Federer said of Nadal. "You know, he's young. "He's still got time to really work on his game, try to come in more, try to improve his slice, try to improve his backhand.

"He's got plenty of things to work with. The only question is, is that going to make him a greater success? It's going to be interesting to see."

Besides, Nadal's answer is typical of his natural state of mind :

Nadal dismissed suggestion he should consider ending points quicker to preserve his body.

"It's not for me to save the body, no, because I am just 20 years old," he said. "The tennis is always difficult and you need to improve to be in the top players in the world."

as you said Nadal has already had a long carreer, and longer than what some expected.

What about the future ? I don't know.

duong
08-23-2012, 03:30 PM
There were a few very interesting posts about Fed's attitude when he talks in that thread, esp. posts 20 and 27 (sykotique), 30 (buzz), and 62 (CmonAussie), and also that other one which is interesting but leaves me puzzled :

Scoobs, can you explain me what's the reason why you think the part in bold ?

mystic ice cube
08-23-2012, 03:32 PM
I find it sad to see a player like Nadal who is one of the games best being plagued with injury like he is. I suppose it's warranted with his style of play. I agree with many of you he needs to shorten his schedule.

Question; has anyone seen a game where Nadal went for winners consistently in a game? Just because he plays defensively doesn't mean he can't play on the attack for a match.

Tomatoes11
08-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Still do not understand how Nadal can have so many fans. He is like the most dis-likeable person ever. The only way you could possibly like him is if you were from Spain or you hated Federer.

Litotes
08-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Still do not understand how Nadal can have so many fans. He is like the most dis-likeable person ever. The only way you could possibly like him is if you were from Spain or you hated Federer.

I have never liked Nadal, mainly because of the neverending time violations. But I do not share your surprise that he has many fans outside of Spain. Which he obviously has.

paseo
08-24-2012, 07:09 AM

There are millions of them.

DrJules
08-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Next year Nadal has the chance to become the first player to win a GS in 9 successive years; a significant top level longevity measure.

He has been at the top a very long time so nobody could say his time at the top has been short.

scoobs
08-24-2012, 08:26 AM
There were a few very interesting posts about Fed's attitude when he talks in that thread, esp. posts 20 and 27 (sykotique), 30 (buzz), and 62 (CmonAussie), and also that other one which is interesting but leaves me puzzled :

Scoobs, can you explain me what's the reason why you think the part in bold ?

Why does it leave you puzzled?

kidbourbon
08-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Or you appreciate his game.

kidbourbon
08-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Interesting, yeah?

Interesting, but why would Nadal changing directions on a tennis court result in so much more force on his knees than any other player changing directions? I get that Nadal is fast, but so is Djokovic. And Djokovic slides around a hard court like Nadal does on a clay court. I would love to hear an explanation for why Djokovic's starts and stops result in less force to his joints than Nadal's starts and stops.

kidbourbon
08-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Nadal would last a lot longer is he didn't try to make every shot a forehand. Rafa has a good backhand that would become even better if he could learn to trust it. Hitting all forehands is like covering a court and a half.

Roger Federer runs around his backhand as much or more than Nadal.

kidbourbon
08-24-2012, 08:53 AM

I find it difficult to understand how people can be so deeply obsessed with Roger Federer that they can't even fathom why anyone would be a fan of Nadal.

I find it difficult to understand how a person can be so dumb as to think the concept of likeability is objective.

I find it difficult to believe that someone who believes that Nadal fanhood is inextricably intertwined with feelings about Roger Federer doesn't have some repressed "feelings" for Mr. Federer.

Tomatoes11, your post is kinda creepy.

Looner
08-24-2012, 09:21 AM
I find it difficult to understand how people can be so deeply obsessed with Roger Federer that they can't even fathom why anyone would be a fan of Nadal.

I find it difficult to understand how a person can be so dumb as to think the concept of likeability is objective.

I find it difficult to believe that someone who believes that Nadal fanhood is inextricably intertwined with feelings about Roger Federer doesn't have some repressed "feelings" for Mr. Federer.

I find it hard to believe you're still not permabanned, so I reported you again.

scoobs
08-24-2012, 09:24 AM
I find it hard to believe you're still not permabanned, so I reported you again.

What rule exactly do you think is being broken here?

The report function is not there for posts you don't like or don't agree with.

IOFH
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
To say this at January 2007: No shit Roger.

Nadal did change his style though which certainly has extended his career.

Sophocles
08-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Or you appreciate his game.

That is impossible.

Looner
08-24-2012, 11:17 AM
That is impossible.

Spot on, general.

duong
08-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Why does it leave you puzzled?

I just wonder the reason why you think that, because you say that you wish it but not why :shrug:

I just would like to understand.

duong
08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Interesting, but why would Nadal changing directions on a tennis court result in so much more force on his knees than any other player changing directions? I get that Nadal is fast, but so is Djokovic. And Djokovic slides around a hard court like Nadal does on a clay court. I would love to hear an explanation for why Djokovic's starts and stops result in less force to his joints than Nadal's starts and stops.

Because their steps are different : these doctors who say that are not the first I've heard on that topic. And I must say I'm not surprised when I watch photos or slow motions of Nadal's.

What I would like to know though is if these Nadal steps have to be related with the adaptations he had to do because of his feet's congenital problem.

duong
08-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Good post but I noticed your signature had a link to "pseudoFed"'s blog, seems there's another intertwining somewhere ;)

yes, it's hard to understand each other : believe me, I've been eager to understanding the reasons why people liked Nadal for long, that's why I can understand Tomotoes' desire, it's also related to the idea that by understanding the others better, we might accept them better. I've tried for long to get answers, now I've given up ... and I also keep on reading Nadalfans having their idea about reasons why Fedfans like him which are also wrong :lol:

green25814
08-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Nadal has adapted his game in recent years. He flattens out his forehand more often, and has improved his net game (and briefly his serve, not really sure what happened there).

Matt01
08-24-2012, 01:48 PM

+1

I can't imagine how some people could like some certain players either but at least I'm not writing stupid posts about this topic. What was the topic of this thread again? :lol:

Whiznot
08-24-2012, 04:21 PM

There is no accounting for taste. Some people admired Adolph Hitler. Hell, some people even admired George W. Bush!:devil:

Tomatoes11
08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
There is no accounting for taste. Some people admired Adolph Hitler. Hell, some people even admired George W. Bush!:devil:

True, but apparently there are people like kidbourbon that like ass picking, time violations, Women's Tennis type moaning, shouldering people in between court changes, and refusing to support more accurate dope testing schedules, creating lame excuses for doping like "maybe he kissed a whore that used cocaine", illegal coaching etc.

On some levels, he is even worse than Bush. At least Bush didn't pretend to be anything besides a raging lunatic bent on revenge.;)

Deep Return
08-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Prefering Nadal before Federer is like prefering pope Benedict before Jesus. It is clear who is the GOAT.

scoobs
08-24-2012, 06:16 PM
I just wonder the reason why you think that, because you say that you wish it but not why :shrug:

I just would like to understand.

Because I think at times he generates a huge controversy offering his opinions which can be pretty ill-informed and speculative that just generate heat but not much light.

Looner
08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Because I think at times he generates a huge controversy offering his opinions which can be pretty ill-informed and speculative that just generate heat but not much light.

Show me a case where Federer offered an ill-informed opinion or are you hurting from one of his Murray comments?

I love the fact he states his position when asked. That's what a natural leader and a true character does. Not run away, mope and say "I no favourite this time again, no".

kidbourbon
08-27-2012, 10:37 AM
(1)
True, but apparently there are people like kidbourbon that like ass picking, time violations, Women's Tennis type moaning, shouldering people in between court changes, and refusing to support more accurate dope testing schedules, creating lame excuses for doping like "maybe he kissed a whore that used cocaine", illegal coaching etc.

(2)
On some levels, he is even worse than Bush. At least Bush didn't pretend to be anything besides a raging lunatic bent on revenge.;)

(1)
Jimmy Connors said about Nadal, "he plays every point like he's broke". That's what I like about Nadal. That refusal to give an inch. His playing style reminds me of a tiger. Relentless, fast, strong. And I dig it. You don't have to.

(2)
I would take your political comments more seriously if you weren't Canadian.

duong
08-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the answer :)

I understand what you mean, however I think that the fact that he's been used to speaking a lot and sincerely (but with Swiss courtesy to generally lighten his views ;) ) has generally spread more light than heat.

Being able not to go too far is a hard task but as Buzz put it in this thread :

yeah, but if he wants to stay this normal guy he has to answer all(most) questions. Just be relaxed nothing to hide atleast IMHO.

And as the initial topic was about Nadal and you thought Fed should not talk too much about Nadal :

1. the title of this thread was completely misleading compating to what Fed actually said ;

2. I don't think that the communication of the people around Nadal is adjusted well enough to spread light rather than heat.

scoobs
08-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Show me a case where Federer offered an ill-informed opinion or are you hurting from one of his Murray comments?

I love the fact he states his position when asked. That's what a natural leader and a true character does. Not run away, mope and say "I no favourite this time again, no".

Well for one, he suggested that Rafa withdrew from the Olympics as a personal choice but expected him to be back very soon, which as we have seen has proven to be speculative and false.

Everko
08-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Nadal has adapted his game in recent years. He flattens out his forehand more often, and has improved his net game (and briefly his serve, not really sure what happened there).

Nadal is the best player in the world ever at adjusting his game. Thats why he won the US Open when all the hating people said there was not a chance because he was a clay pla. But he is a great champion and reat champions adjust to win the best.

MTwEeZi
08-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Prefering Nadal before Federer is like prefering pope Benedict before Jesus. It is clear who is the GOAT.

This may be difficult for you blind breed falling Federeresians to comprehend, but there other reasons to support a player besides the number of titles they won.

duarte_a
08-27-2012, 05:17 PM
This may be difficult for you blind breed falling Federeresians to comprehend, but there other reasons to support a player besides the number of titles they won.

Gamesmanship, cheating, butt picking, bullying,..... :confused:

Litotes
08-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Nadal is the best player in the world ever at adjusting his game. Thats why he won the US Open when all the hating people said there was not a chance because he was a clay pla. But he is a great champion and reat champions adjust to win the best.

As seen on blue clay?

Serverer
08-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Yes, if only everyone could adjust their serve and start serving like sampras

ServeVolley
08-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Nadal is the best player in the world ever at adjusting surfaces to his game. Thats why he won the US Open when all the hating people said there was not a chance because he was a clay pla. But he is a great champion and reat champions adjust to win the best.

Fixed. :yeah:

Kei_is_a_samurai
08-27-2012, 09:04 PM

Haha this is a joke post right?

Looner
08-27-2012, 09:08 PM

You truly have something Eddie Murphy-like in you to be able to come up with such humour. Props, dude. Shame he couldn't adjust his game for more than one tournament and his AO and USO are flukes.

PS Nadal has fallen to #3 ;).

The_Djoker
08-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Nadull should retire for his fangirls.

Fuser59
08-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Good one RF ..is he implying that Rafa should start playing with his right hand...? I can't believe he said that...

Looner
08-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Good one RF ..is he implying that Rafa should start playing with his right hand...? I can't believe he said that...

Well, he's also been on record saying Nadal is one-dimensional :lol:. Obviously, controversial but he's right on both counts.

Mental Giant
08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
smh @ rogers still a hating on the goat! Nadal has no weakness admit it roger!

MaxPower
08-27-2012, 11:08 PM
smh @ rogers still a hating on the goat! Nadal has no weakness admit it roger!

I've heard his knees can be a weakness

SheepleBuster
08-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Nadal has a role to play. I don't want him to retire. I want him to make the British fans cry river over Murray. And then when he loses to Nole in 6 hour matches. That's just sweet to watch :D As long as he does not play Roger and does not win more slams, I am OK with Rafa beating the real #4 all over the place :D

Sunset of Age
08-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Haha this is a joke post right?

I noticed you only just registered here, otherwise you'd have known better. ;)