ATP Chairman De Villiers calls RR format "very confusing" !!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP Chairman De Villiers calls RR format "very confusing" !!!

rrfnpump
01-14-2007, 03:51 PM
MELBOURNE, Australia -- The hybrid 32-draw round-robin format first used as an experiment at the Adelaide International could be scrapped next year after ATP Chairman Etienne de Villiers admitted it was "confusing."

ATP is experimenting with three styles of round-robin formats at some tournaments this year -- 48- and 24-man draws and the hybrid format used at Adelaide which involves 32 players, eight who attempt to qualify for the 24-man round-robin portion of the tournament which features eight three-man groups.

However, weather problems at Adelaide delayed some matches, and some of the elimination and qualifying matches were played after the first round of the round-robin.

"I will be very, very surprised if that 32 hybrid survives," de Villiers said Sunday. "It was very creative, but it was very confusing as well."

"Qualifiers, eliminations, and then wait to see who gets into the first round, then you get delays, and you get some guys playing the first round before the qualifiers are finished."

De Villiers said round-robin formats are desirable in some cases, particularly in guaranteeing that certain players will compete in local markets on specific days and times for television.

And in the case of Adelaide, the first tournament of the year, a big-name player rusty from the holidays would have a second chance if he gets beaten in his first match.

De Villiers said he got some good feedback.

"Adelaide came back with a whole bunch of interesting ideas," de Villiers said. "Every experiment you do, you are always surprised by what you learn."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2731054

:woohoo:

sorry if posted before

Jimnik
01-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. ;)

rofe
01-14-2007, 03:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2731054

sorry if posted before

He won't give up so easily. He is using the "feedback" to probably find alternate ways to make it confusing.

Damita
01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
"It was very creative, but it was very confusing as well."No shit!!! :smash: confusing and unfair to newcomers and low-ranked guys :smash:

The end of the article doesn't sound very optimistic, he'll probably come up with new bad ideas :scared:

Sunset of Age
01-14-2007, 04:33 PM
The end of the article doesn't sound very optimistic, he'll probably come up with new bad ideas :scared:

Yeah, as long as Mr. Disney uses the word "creative", I'm not convinced he'll easily let go of this moronic idea.

scoobs
01-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Well goodness me, I can't think why he found it confusing.

I thought it was a masterpiece of simplicity and straightforwardness. I didn't need a math degree at all to work out the permutations of who would progress from Johansson's group.

The poor man musn't have been trying.

[/irony]

CooCooCachoo
01-14-2007, 04:38 PM

MrExcel
01-14-2007, 04:43 PM
I think the word we're all looking for is... hallelujah!!

Naranoc
01-14-2007, 04:44 PM
As much as this as a relief, it's disconcerting to hear that he scrapped it primarily because he was confused, rather than because it's a completely biased and unfair system :tape:

marti_228
01-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes!!!!

NicoFan
01-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Well goodness me, I can't think why he found it confusing.

I thought it was a masterpiece of simplicity and straightforwardness. I didn't need a math degree at all to work out the permutations of who would progress from Johansson's group.

The poor man musn't have been trying.

[/irony]

:lol:

Good one. :yeah:

At least though he can admit when he's wrong. A lot of people can't do that. So I give him some credit.

Though I know he hasn't completely given up on the round robin idea. :sad:

Anne-Claire
01-14-2007, 05:15 PM
great :yeah:

amierin
01-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Well d'uh!!!

Kalliopeia
01-14-2007, 05:26 PM
The thing about everyone complaining about it being an unfair system is...he doesn't care. That's why he created it. They cheerfully agree that it's designed to push the top players through.

I'm not sure when predictability in sports became a good thing. :rolleyes:

nobama
01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Did he say RR was confusing or using it with a 32 man draw was confusing? :confused:

tennisgal_001
01-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure whether this is good news or bad news. On the one hand, he realized it was a senseless idea (albeit for the wrong reasons!). On the other hand, he's looking for feedback to make the RR more easily apprehensible, rather than abolish the system (i.e. he still intends on pursuing his biased attitude toward the players, which in reality is the REAL reason why the RR will never be successful, not because it needs a rocket-scientist to figure it out!!!)
I'm not too optimistic...

jazar
01-14-2007, 05:44 PM
its his own fault for introducing it. i mean, who in their right mind would implement a major change that they don't even understand

MarieS
01-14-2007, 05:52 PM
:retard:

lordmanji
01-14-2007, 06:11 PM
for christs sake give some credit to villiers. he came up with a solution for the tournaments and fans to guarantee a player to stay, it didnt work, and now he's admitting it and open to changing it. what a bunch of whining crybabies on this site.

scoobs
01-14-2007, 06:17 PM
He said the hybrid 32 man version was confusing - I don't think he's extending that to the RR idea as a whole.

Damita
01-14-2007, 06:33 PM
As much as this as a relief, it's disconcerting to hear that he scrapped it primarily because he was confused, rather than because it's a completely biased and unfair system :tape:Don't expect too much from him :p

The thing about everyone complaining about it being an unfair system is...he doesn't care. That's why he created it. They cheerfully agree that it's designed to push the top players through.

I'm not sure when predictability in sports became a good thing. :rolleyes:
yeah :awww: There's a tv show about sports here which gives a redcard to some sportsmen or sports organizations every week... the ATP got the first redcard of 2007 for the brilliant RR format idea ;) commentators said it was a shame to make money come first before the integrity of the game.
for christs sake give some credit to villiers. he came up with a solution for the tournaments and fans to guarantee a player to stay, it didnt work, and now he's admitting it and open to changing it. what a bunch of whining crybabies on this site.Why should they be guaranteed to stay? :shrug: (i want an other reason that the money it will bring to the ATP and tournaments officials :p)

scoobs
01-14-2007, 06:40 PM
What amused me most about this format is that, in spite of the deck being more stacked in favour of the seeds than before, only TWO made it through the RR phase and only 1 got to the SFs.

Ernham
01-14-2007, 06:45 PM
What amused me most about this format is that, in spite of the deck being more stacked in favour of the seeds than before, only TWO made it through the RR phase and only 1 got to the SFs.

It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the AO was a week away, surely

**collects 10k check from DeMoron**.

jayjay
01-14-2007, 06:51 PM
for christs sake give some credit to villiers. he came up with a solution for the tournaments and fans to guarantee a player to stay, it didnt work, and now he's admitting it and open to changing it. what a bunch of whining crybabies on this site.

Credit? He introduced an absurd system that has no place in Tennis bar TMC. That was poor. Then after ONE RR tournament, he effecitively admits it's a load of bollox.

Not only do I not respect his decision to introduce RR, but I have even greater contempt for him to give up on his silly idea after ONE tournament.

If that's all it took for him to realise what a pile of wank it is, then it's evidence enough that the idea was no good to begin with. How can someone in such a position not realise these possibilites after months and months of consideration, even though 98% of tennis fans on message boards all over the net could spell it out months ago?

cherry@cupcake
01-14-2007, 07:04 PM
:haha:

No s**t, Sherlock.

Kalliopeia
01-14-2007, 07:11 PM
"I will be very, very surprised if that 32 hybrid survives," de Villiers said Sunday. "It was very creative, but it was very confusing as well."

He's only talking about that one particular version of it anyway. Of course.

rrfnpump
01-14-2007, 08:47 PM
He said the hybrid 32 man version was confusing - I don't think he's extending that to the RR idea as a whole.

you are right about that, but I think it means a lot that he actually says the RR system (32 hybrid) doesnt work as good as it was supposed to be.

The failure of this system doesnt mean the other RR systems will not work, but the players will now be even more aware of possible flaws.

megadeth
01-14-2007, 10:09 PM
he's stupid, that's why

lau
01-14-2007, 10:12 PM
:lol: No one else thinks that the use of the word "creative" is hilarious? :lol:

Frooty_Bazooty
01-14-2007, 11:19 PM
My prediction for his next innovation???

-Scrap the ranking system and make it so that entry lists for events go by alphabetical order. Thats good news for Aaron A. Aaronson and bad news for Zabaleta

*Viva Chile*
01-15-2007, 02:15 AM
This guy is a total joke :rolleyes:

Leo
01-15-2007, 02:34 AM
Well, we may not be done with this yet. He said that the 32 hybrid was a failure but he may still experiment with RR, unfortunately. Are Queens and all those other tournaments not going to stay hybrid/RR?