Most watchable [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most watchable

betterthanhenman
01-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Probably been done before but hey...

I've put down some of the guys I enjoy watching for various reasons.

(not on the poll but special mentions to Santoro and Malisse).

Yappa
01-14-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=4164906#post4164906

You will burn in hell for not actually including Santoro in the poll, although you mention him. ;)

FluffyYellowBall
01-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Everybody wants to see nadal for one of the 2 following reasons. EVERYBODY!

1-theyre his fans and want to see what more he'll bring to the game
2-theyre people waiting for him to lose because they know he's less vunerable than he seems

yana
01-14-2007, 04:38 PM
we all know who will win this poll, right?

But I enjoy watching Nadal, Nalbandian and Baggy. They are spectacular.

stebs
01-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Other than Tursunov I enjoy watching everyone in that poll a great deal. Santoro should definately be there.

Ernham
01-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Safin on clay.

Federer/Haas/Gasquet/Santoro on hard courts.

Murray/Nadal/Monfils absolutely never.

Kirilenko always.

Sharapova before she was turned 17. (Can I be arrested for that?)

guga2120
01-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Nadal for how hard he plays, and his personality
Safin, b/c he is crazy

And Federer against good players, when he plays lower ranked players, its really boring b/c he doesn't even have to try and still wins easily.

t0x
01-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Hrmm Federer. Could watch his tennis for ever. Although I pretty much enjoy everybody's tennis in my sig.

Ernham
01-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Most Scots don't consider themselves British, just so ya know. :devil:

jazar
01-14-2007, 05:23 PM
safin and tursunov cos they are so combustable. you never know what they are going to do

cmurray
01-14-2007, 05:24 PM
I agree mostly with guga, except that I honestly enjoy Marat's tennis. When it's on, it is absolutely a thing of beauty. And of course, there is the "you never know what you're going to get" feature with Marat, which makes each match an adventure.

Of the list, probably the only person I don't enjoy watching at all is Berdych.

Everyone else has at least something in their game that I enjoy. I'm especially warming to Gonzalez.

GugaRocksMySocks
01-14-2007, 05:26 PM
It's blatantly gonzalez!!! woohoo ;)

KaxMisha
01-14-2007, 05:27 PM
I agree mostly with guga, except that I honestly enjoy Marat's tennis. When it's on, it is absolutely a thing of beauty. And of course, there is the "you never know what you're going to get" feature with Marat, which makes each match an adventure.

Of the list, probably the only person I don't enjoy watching at all is Berdych.

Everyone else has at least something in their game that I enjoy. I'm especially warming to Gonzalez.

You like Safin's game and not Berdych's? That makes absolutely no sense to me. :confused:

P.S. If the reason is the Madrid incident, it does make sense to me, but that's not connected to Berdych's tennis. :devil:

Loremaster
01-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Maria Kirilenko
Daniela Hantuchova
Tatiana Golovin

cmurray
01-14-2007, 06:49 PM
You like Safin's game and not Berdych's? That makes absolutely no sense to me. :confused:

P.S. If the reason is the Madrid incident, it does make sense to me, but that's not connected to Berdych's tennis. :devil:

preference doesn't need to make sense. And it has little to do with Madrid...I've disliked him LONG before that. I think he's a jerk. He has a history of treating his opponents poory - Wimbledon being the foremost in my mind. I don't enjoy that sort of petulance.

stebs
01-14-2007, 06:50 PM

Their tennis is not exactly the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoSSwSrIAI

Berdych likes to hit the ball as it is further away from his body. Berdych's groundstrokes are more out and out attack oriented whereas Safin likes to build a point and his winners usually come as a result of good timing rather than hitting the ball as hard as Berdych. Safin has a better, more reliable backhand and a fairly generic forehand. Berdych has flatter strokes making them higher risk and his forehand especially is one of the most powerful strokes in the game. Safin also comes to net more than Berdych.

Although Safin can be viewed as a big hitter due to his large serve and the fact that he does get a lot of pace on the ball due to his size and timing, his actually ground strokes are not centred around producing maximum power whereas it would be easy to argue that Berdychs are.

Ernham
01-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Eh, they both play some depth, use same game plan, are the same size. I think Berdych has more power and Safin better court coverage. As far as their playstyle, though, the main difference between them is one has dark blonde hair and the other dark brown.

cmurray
01-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Their tennis is not exactly the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoSSwSrIAI

Berdych likes to hit the ball as it is further away from his body. Berdych's groundstrokes are more out and out attack oriented whereas Safin likes to build a point and his winners usually come as a result of good timing rather than hitting the ball as hard as Berdych. Safin has a better, more reliable backhand and a fairly generic forehand. Berdych has flatter strokes making them higher risk and his forehand especially is one of the most powerful strokes in the game. Safin also comes to net more than Berdych.

Although Safin can be viewed as a big hitter due to his large serve and the fact that he does get a lot of pace on the ball due to his size and timing, his actually ground strokes are not centred around producing maximum power whereas it would be easy to argue that Berdychs are.

In short, Safin has more finesse than Berych.

stebs
01-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Eh, they both play some depth, use same game plan, are the same size. I think Berdych has more power and Safin better court coverage. As far as their playstyle, though, the main difference between them is one has dark blonde hair and the other dark brown.

I disagree. Berdych wants to hit the ball very hard, Safin wants to place the ball, the power of Safin comes because of his size and natural power. This is true of Berdych as well but Berdych certainly hits harder and that is due to intention not build.

Safin also comes to the net more often than Berdych and uses more spin.

betterthanhenman
01-14-2007, 08:47 PM
I disagree. Berdych wants to hit the ball very hard, Safin wants to place the ball, the power of Safin comes because of his size and natural power. This is true of Berdych as well but Berdych certainly hits harder and that is due to intention not build.

Biggest difference is that Berdych is over-rated and will never have 2 Slams to his name.

Conita
01-14-2007, 08:50 PM
besides Fed
for entretainment reasons i like
Gonzalez, Verdasco (on a good day) PHM (same applies) And Safin

Havok
01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Other, Gasquet. He's probably the most fun player to watch, for me anyways.

Allure
01-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Gasquet, Safin

Ernham
01-14-2007, 09:00 PM

What? The pros essentially never hit the ball as hard as possible, since it would be impossible to keep in the court. Nadal might be an exception because of the ridiculous topspin he puts on it. Anyway, the vast majority of the "power", compared to other playes, generated from both Safin and Berdych is not actually due to "natural power", but to their height, since they've got a better angle to hit from while keeping the ball in bounds. They can hit harder AND keep it in. They are both percentage-playing, power baseline grinders. Only way I can tell them apart is by physical features or their footwork, which does differ but not significantly.

Ernham
01-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Biggest difference is that Berdych is over-rated and will never have 2 Slams to his name.

Safin is over-rated and will never have 2 more Slams to add to his name. Not so different after all, see?

El Legenda
01-14-2007, 09:09 PM
All the hot WTA players.

KaxMisha
01-14-2007, 09:25 PM
preference doesn't need to make sense. And it has little to do with Madrid...I've disliked him LONG before that. I think he's a jerk. He has a history of treating his opponents poory - Wimbledon being the foremost in my mind. I don't enjoy that sort of petulance.

But you do like his tennis?

KaxMisha
01-14-2007, 09:27 PM

Great post, but I never said their tennis was EXACTLY the same - just that it's similar enough that you'll like both if you like one of them (in terms of their tennis).

Metis
01-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I like watching all of the players mentioned in the poll :)
I also like to watch Sontoro, Malisse and Ferrer.

Loremaster
01-14-2007, 09:46 PM
All the hot WTA players.

Me too :worship: :worship:

especially
Maria Kirilenko
Daniela Hantuchova
Tatiana
Ana Ivanovic

cmurray
01-14-2007, 10:08 PM
But you do like his tennis?

Not enough to make up for the fact that he's a jerk. Are you asking if I find his tennis unattractive (a la Roddick)? No. But I've also never gained enjoyment from watching one of his matches. Roddick, on the other hand...his tennis I find almost clumsy (please don't hunt me down, Roddick fans), but I often gain enjoyment from watching HIS matches.

Tennis is my favorite sport. I like it because it is complex. It is (for me) about much more than just technique. Can I gain enjoyment from a Federer match? Certainly (even though I'm no fan). Anyone who knows anything about tennis understands that Roger's talent is something special. And knowing that his form is infinitely superior to Roddick's, I'll still root for Andy to win every time. I LOVE tennis. :shrug: :)

guga2120
01-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Berdych just hits the ball really hard, maybe harder than anybody, but he does not have the all around game that Safin has, and Berdych's forehand is not that great to look at. Safin has a complete game and is very charasmatic, while Berdych is pretty boring personality wise, and just hits really hard.

Shrinking Violet
01-14-2007, 11:29 PM
I like watching all those guys to be honest. Also Gasquet, Djokovic and Mathieu. There's only a few guys I don't particulary enjoy watching to be honest and mostly they are guys who are just servers.

betterthanhenman
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Maybe Monfils should be an option too.

(said watching him playBaghdatis right now).

Ernham
01-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Maybe Monfils should be an option too.

(said watching him playBaghdatis right now).

Tons of people that "maybe should be an option". Monfils is fun to watch if you are the type that likes train/car wrecks and whatnot. You just know sooner or later that idiot is going to break a leg or knock some of his teeth out doing some stupid showboating.

adee-gee
01-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Monfils :lol: you either love him or hate him, but you can't fault his effort.

betterthanhenman
01-17-2007, 12:30 PM
I dont love him or hate him, am actually quite indifferent to him.

Problem Monfils has, which we are seeing now, is that nobody can maintain that level of intensity. He needs to learn to play at 75%.

oz_boz
01-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Tons of people that "maybe should be an option". Monfils is fun to watch if you are the type that likes train/car wrecks and whatnot. You just know sooner or later that idiot is going to break a leg or knock some of his teeth out doing some stupid showboating.

:unsure:

Seems like it just happened...

EDIT: nothing really serious, he seems OK again.

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 12:50 PM

yea but thats just ow is bodys built! He needs to a miracle workout and an unbelievable amout of weightlifting JUST to be a little less liable to unjuries. Hes xtremely slim (not thin:rolleyes: ). If he was white, i wouldnt be able to tell theyre ankles and wrists apart!! His frame is not even at all and besides that hes slim, hes very tall. Sometimes im afraid he'll just break like a matchstick when he runs a lot in a point, bends down too much or slides

Ernham
01-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Close. He won't be happy until he needs a wheelchair/stretcher.

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
This is EXACTLY what i meant!!! Did anyone see that??

bokehlicious
01-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Swiss made tennis: Federer & Hingis :)

BgStallion
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Well - Santoro is the most attractive to watch :) It's never boring :P