Thursday OP, etc. [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Thursday OP, etc.

Pages : 1 [2]

Dirk
03-19-2004, 04:14 AM
Roger is both Wvyern. We are very very lucky. Roger is also very classy and nice and open to the public too. I just wish the US media and the USTA would make the most of him when he is playing here in the US because Roger is open to doing a lot of media for the sport.

Action Jackson
03-19-2004, 04:15 AM
Oh, get a grip George. You just did make an assumption on bunk when you said she would like Federer only if he were an American. And you're constantly making condescending assumptions about me and pretty much everyone else you bump into so stop acting like you're better than anyone else. :rolleyes:

Glad I amuse you.

I realise the errors of my ways tangerinus this is true and I have come to the conclusion that secretly deep down I worship the ground you walk on. Unfortunately it took me all this time to realise this, well maybe I need to get in touch more often with my sensitive side.

Incorrect again that I think I am better than anyone else if you said opinionated then that would have made sense, considering I am employed as a janitor of office buildings, plus I am illiterate and a mute, so that is justifiable grounds for one of your baseless commments.

Originally posted by bunk18bsb
and can we please not use the word Nazi here??? It's a very sensitive topic for some people and GWH no one should have called you that. but on the other hand you had to realize that picking the name you did when you joined this group might ruffle some feathers.

Understandably the name was going to ruffle feathers, but the facts are if someone is going to call me something like that, then it's fair that they are able to back up their points and point out why this is the case.

I am sorry irony and sarcasm don't actually work in this case.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:16 AM
I can understand that which is why I'm always giving myself another go with any of Andy's match showing on TV. I'm just suggesting that since you like watching tennis so much, just be a bit open minded watching Rogi's game next time, you might be able to get something out of it.

Just a thought nothing more. Ok, off for work, bye!

It's not that I don't like Roger or anything, I don't watch and say oh I'm going to hate this lol. I watched the match today and it was just boring. The match against Fish was just boring. The matches I saw him play at the AO and TMC were just boring. He just doesn't excite me. I guess I need someone out there being funny and talking to himself and throwing rackets and jumping up and down and making faces and stuff. I mean sure, when Roger hits a great shot I go "oh that was nice" but I don't jump out of my seat and cheer. Can't really explain it lol :shrug:

I know I know, Pete is my fave of all-time and he was pretty much none of those things. I don't know why I liked Pete so much, but he was probably the only player like that I did/do like lol. I'm a fan of Andre's but not because I like to watch him play all that much, I just admire him for what he's done late in career, both off and on court and how he's so amazingly able to balance every aspect of his life mostly with grace and class. But watching him play is largely yawn-inducing for me too *ducks flying objects coming from tangy, Q, and Jace*

Plus, I don't know if this makes sense, but one of the things I like about being an Andy fan is watching him continually improve. During the Safin match, I was so proud of him, not because he won but because he tried new things that were just a few months ago SO foreign to him. If Andy had always been able to come in and volley like that, it wouldn't have been exciting, or nearly as much as it was anyway, but the fact that it was seeing him do it for the first time like that was just thrilling for me as a fan. Same with the returns he's hitting as of late, he didn't used to be able to hit return winners early like that. So I guess one of the reasons Andy is so exciting to me is because he's such a work in progress and it's like watching him grow up and improve before my eyes and I love being a part of that. It's one of the reasons I like Mardy Fish as well.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:21 AM
bunk, what time is ESPN showing the Roddick/Henman match, do you know?

5pm where you are, my dear!

LCeh
03-19-2004, 04:25 AM
It's an old habit. He said his mind used to always wander off somewhere else in a match. He has greatly improved over the years, but I guess his old-self came back today. ;)

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:27 AM
oh no and you can't get onto AIM at work either can you? :( I sowwyyyyyyyy

Neely
03-19-2004, 04:28 AM
all right, I'll leave you alone now... great match, Andre and Guille!

cu soon :)

Action Jackson
03-19-2004, 04:36 AM
Well and that's how I feel about Andy. I love all the aces and forehands and overheads and athleticism and emotions and humor. It's just a very different style and very much a matter of personal preference. What's interesting is that some (I repeat, SOME certainly not all) of the Roger fans suggest that one cannot be a true tennis fan if you don't love to watch Roger. That's just ridiculous!

As I said earlier it's a matter of personal preferences we should be able to almost agree on that.

As for not being a true tennis fan because someone doesn't like Roger, well that is stupid. Someone that stops watching tennis completely because their favourite player has stopped playing isn't a true tennis fan.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:39 AM
Night Neely! :wavey:

and bunk, no, I don't have AIM at work. This sucks. By the time I get home the match will be over! :bigcry: :sobbing:

awwwwwwwwww

well there's one thing you can try. There's a thing called AIM Express. It's a java thing that runs in your web browser so you don't have to have it installed or anything. if you go to www.aim.com you can see it somewhere in the options on the left. Then again if you have to be actually WORKING at work this might not actually be good lmao.

As for not being a true tennis fan because someone doesn't like Roger, well that is stupid.

Well for once, I definitely agree. This is what I was saying. But that exact comment, that if you don't like Roger you are not a true tennis fan, has most certainly been said by more than one person on this board.

Action Jackson
03-19-2004, 04:58 AM
Well for once, I definitely agree. This is what I was saying. But that exact comment, that if you don't like Roger you are not a true tennis fan, has most certainly been said by more than one person on this board.

You better mark this day down in the calendar bunk then, then again I did tell you initially that we weren't going to agree on many things so enjoy it briefyly.

Some things are just very obvious though many people still can't see this, and no I am not refering to Duckboy on clay. The thing that I find funny is that you liked Sampras, but you are not keen on Federer, even though they are both very talented in different ways and Federer is more expressive and more expansive than Sampras ever was, though they both play an all-court game.

This being the case this is why I said would you like Federer more if he was American previously.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 05:14 AM
The thing that I find funny is that you liked Sampras, but you are not keen on Federer, even though they are both very talented in different ways and Federer is more expressive and more expansive than Sampras ever was, though they both play an all-court game.

This being the case this is why I said would you like Federer more if he was American previously.

First... I don't really like people because of their talent. I like Brian Vahaly. He's not that talented but I respect him for getting a college degree before turning pro and I will always support someone who makes education a top priority. Second, to me Sampras was very expressive, but in a VERY different way. It was in his eyes, you could see the fire. Someone like Sampras, I would like no matter where he is from. Someone like Federer, I will be rather indifferent towards no matter where he is from. I cannot explain it - to me they are very very different in so many ways that it's easy for me to be excited about one and not the other. It's all very esoteric things I suppose.

Action Jackson
03-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the explanation bunk. There aren't that many similarities between the two except maybe their style of game and maybe the way they act on court apart from that there isn't much.

I hope you don't think I like players solely because of their talent, if so that is one of the biggest fallacies of all.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 05:28 AM
I hope you don't think I like players solely because of their talent, if so that is one of the biggest fallacies of all.

Oh! no no wasn't suggesting that at all.

WyveN
03-19-2004, 06:25 AM

I think any true tennis fan would appreciate Federer's talent, most talented player since Mac probably (maybe even more?). That does not mean they have to like Roger.

And no I don't need a essay, I am not referring to you.

I would say the same thing about someone who doesn't appreciate the way Roddick is taking power tennis to new heights, or Agassi's clean early groundstrokes or Safin's all court game or even Hewitt's fighting spirit.

J. Corwin
03-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Deb, regarding the backhands (which you brought up several pages back)...yes I consider Guille's dtl backhand to be top 3 at the moment. David is another player with a great dtl bh.

J. Corwin
03-19-2004, 07:56 AM
And on ESPN they said they were gonna show the Lindsay/Dechy, Andy/Tim, AND James/Irakli match on ESPN tomorrow. All within that 4 hour time frame, 12-2 espn and 2-4 espn 2.....pst.

Space Cowgirl
03-19-2004, 10:31 AM
well, I also don't know anything about that... they only reported that Kiefer/Schüttler retired after losing the 1st set... no injury or something else was stated... don't know what was wrong... :rolleyes:

Neely, Lee, they retired after the first set because Schüttler was got injured (pulled a calf muscle I think). He didn't want to play on in case it affected his chances of taking part in Miami next week. He can't play tennis for the next 3 days. Let's hope he gets sorted by next week!

vene
03-19-2004, 03:45 PM
It's not that I don't like Roger or anything, I don't watch and say oh I'm going to hate this lol. I watched the match today and it was just boring. The match against Fish was just boring. The matches I saw him play at the AO and TMC were just boring. He just doesn't excite me. I guess I need someone out there being funny and talking to himself and throwing rackets and jumping up and down and making faces and stuff. I mean sure, when Roger hits a great shot I go "oh that was nice" but I don't jump out of my seat and cheer. Can't really explain it lol :shrug:

I know I know, Pete is my fave of all-time and he was pretty much none of those things. I don't know why I liked Pete so much, but he was probably the only player like that I did/do like lol. I'm a fan of Andre's but not because I like to watch him play all that much, I just admire him for what he's done late in career, both off and on court and how he's so amazingly able to balance every aspect of his life mostly with grace and class. But watching him play is largely yawn-inducing for me too *ducks flying objects coming from tangy, Q, and Jace*.

I have read a # of your posts even before I joined the board, and I really think the issue is that Roger is not American. I have watched tennis for many years, and I think anyone who really appreciates tennis realises just how lucky we are to get to see a talent like Roger play. I remember in one of your posts, when Wertheim suggested someone substitute Roger for Agassi, you came up with a # mediocre of players whose only similarity was being American. Although you have admitted that you do not understand the technical aspects of tennis, I am not sure nationality is a good reason to favor a particular player. I personally save patriotism for really important things (war,etc). I am sure you have a knowledge of history, and what misplaced patriotism has led to in the past.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:14 PM
ummm what? I hope you realize how little sense you made with your post and how just flat-out WRONG you are. Agassi was a bad example to use, because he's not nearly close to my favorite player and there are many non-Americans I like much more than him, plus I said that Andre bores me as well. So your argument doesn't really hold up well at all. I've already said why I like and respect Andre - for the things he has done off the court mostly, and how he is still working so hard at his age and playing well. I have the same respect and admiration for El-Aynaoui, who is not exactly American. If my patriotism was that overwhelming and that mis-placed, would El-Aynaoui, a Moroccan and Arab, be one of my favorites? Highly doubtful :rolleyes:

The only time a player being American comes into play for me is during Davis Cup, or is if he is playing someone I don't care about. If Robby Ginepri were playing El-Aynaoui or Guga or Coria or Philippoussis or Hewitt or any of my other favorite non-American players, I would not be cheering for Robby. But when Robby was playing Wesley Moodie, someone about which I could care less, I cheered for Robby. And then there are some Americans like Vince Spadea who I really just don't care for at all and I wouldn't even if he were from my hometown.

You're just bitter I don't really like Roger. And you did a pretty poor job of disguising that by insulting my patriotism??? Plus, I have no problem with Roger as a person. He's witty and intelligent and mature and classy. I JUST DON'T ENJOY WATCHING HIM PLAY, why am I treated as an ethnocentric criminal just because of my personal preference for one particular player? I mean really now, Get real.

Shy
03-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Cliff: "What will you do the rest of the day, what's your favorite recreational activity"

Roger: "lay at the pool in the shade"

PMac: "Do you ski?"

Roger: "Yea, where it snows"

GOD WHY IS PMAC SO STUPID
You know Roger had a way to make journalist and commentators look more stupid than they already are.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:38 PM
You know Roger had a way to make journalist and commentators more stupid than they already are.

haha yea. but really.... PMac doesn't need the help ;) :retard:

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 05:18 PM
And bunk, have you noticed on these boards that it's unforgiveable, jingoistic, and nationalistic for Americans to cheer for American players but it's considered perfectly ok for other people to not only actively cheer for only their favored countryman but to actively cheer against the Americans? Uh-huh.

oh of course I have! I'm sure I've even commented on it somewhere on MTF, but whatever. I've defended myself for the last time. I don't have to defend my feelings. One of the great things about living here is that I can have any opinions I want and don't have to justify them to anyone else. *becoming fonder and fonder of the ignore button*

Chloe le Bopper
03-19-2004, 09:29 PM
oh of course I have! I'm sure I've even commented on it somewhere on MTF, but whatever. I've defended myself for the last time. I don't have to defend my feelings. One of the great things about living here is that I can have any opinions I want and don't have to justify them to anyone else. *becoming fonder and fonder of the ignore button*
Nobody would have any problems with you having your own opinions if you didn't run around with your Sesame Street Tshirt telling everybody else how to act.

As for the American BS that you guys spout off... zzzzz. It's all in your heads. Paranoid delusional as fuck, the both of you.

Chloe le Bopper
03-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I find it amusing (in a sad, scary way) that whenever somebody proclaims they don't like Roger, they are descended upon by various MTF hooligans and are ordered to provide a doctoral dissertation as to why they don't like Roger. That is because, here on MTF, if you don't like Roger or his game, then you're clearly not a real tennis fan. :rolleyes:

Oh, the hilarity.

There have been at least three threads demanding a response as to why people don't want to bring Andy home with them and cover him in whipped cream. At least three. I don't recall you getting irritated when people who openly dislike Andy are asked about it.

Hypocrite.

And bunk, have you noticed on these boards that it's unforgiveable, jingoistic, and nationalistic for Americans to cheer for American players but it's considered perfectly ok for other people to not only actively cheer for only their favored countryman but to actively cheer against the Americans? Uh-huh.

Paranoid. Delusional.

But whatever.

Clearly you and bunk feel better thinking that the only reason anybody would ever point and laugh at you, or question your hypocritical behavior, all comes back to the fact that you are American. If that is what allows you and little bunk to get through the world together, then all the power to you.