Could Tursunov or Berdych Actually Reach The Semis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Could Tursunov or Berdych Actually Reach The Semis?

Jaffas85
01-14-2007, 12:47 AM
In the quarter of the draw where #13 seed Tomas Berdych and #21 seed Dmitry Tursunov sit the highest seeds are #3 seed Nikolay Davydenko and #8 seed David Nalbandian who are both suspect at the moment as Davydenko injured himself in Doha and was forced to withdraw from Sydney as it was still affecting him while Nalbandian was out in the first round of Chennai and withdrew from Kooyong because his injury was still lingering.

With Tursunov and Berdych likely to meet in the 3rd round and the only other tough player in that quarter being Haas don't you think its probable that Dmitry Tursunov or even the completely injury free Tomas Berdych stand a good chance of reaching the semis?

And if Berdych does make the semis he could very well face Nadal meaning that a final appearance could be very possible.

GlennMirnyi
01-14-2007, 12:48 AM
Tursunov? Very hard...

Berdych just needs some consistent matches and some luck.

Jaffas85
01-14-2007, 12:56 AM
That part of the draw is very open with both Davydenko and Nalbandian suspect and the next highest seed being Haas.

So taking into account Berdych's former wins over Tursunov and Haas I think Berdych has the best chance to reach the semis and should he play Nadal in the semis *Should Nadal overcome Blake in the quarters* perhaps even the final.

GlennMirnyi
01-14-2007, 01:09 AM
That part of the draw is very open with both Davydenko and Nalbandian suspect and the next highest seed being Haas.

So taking into account Berdych's former wins over Tursunov and Haas I think Berdych has the best chance to reach the semis and should he play Nadal in the semis *Should Nadal overcome Blake in the quarters* perhaps even the final.

Berdych isn't that consistent, that's the deal. He could just sail to the final as he could just lose to Blake, for instance.

Mara_M
01-14-2007, 01:12 AM

why do i feel it's another cake draw served to Nadal,like in Wimbley :p?
Tursunov is half injuried and kinda out of shape,Berdych didn't bright too :shrug:

Jimnik
01-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Why not? The third quarter is wide open.

Homo_Esperanto
01-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Why not? The third quarter is wide open.

Dima really has a great chance to make it into the SF`s if he will recover from his wrist injury completely. I mean this guy has lots of potential and finally seems to be more consistent as well which hasn`t been the case in previous years.

His match against Robredo at the Hopman Cup also showed that his tactical and strategic understanding for the game has raised with lots of variations in his style of playing, even starting quite a lot of S&V action recently.

With Berdych i am quite disappointed at the moment. I mean this guy also is a real talent. A strong baseliner with a huge serve as well. But he really seems to be just to inconsistent in his game and especially when things don`t go his way, he often loses focus and concentration.

Regarding Dima`s talent he should have the potential to make it into the SF`s

GlennMirnyi
01-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Mate, don't take an exho match against Robredo as parameter.

Homo_Esperanto
01-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Mate, don't take an exho match against Robredo as parameter.

i just saw the match completely on TV and both guys really played quite a high level of tennis so though it was just an exhibition match there was lots of competition and passion in it.

But with Dima you can also refer not just to this one game but to the whole year 2006 regarding to his development in raising his tennis, his consistency and attitude to the game.

We´ll see what he will reach in the AO. Hopefully he doesn`t have to withdrawal cuz of his injury :sad:

Byrd
01-14-2007, 02:14 AM
The thing with Berdych is that he doesn't have a Plan B, when everything isn't firing he doesn't know what to do. Personally I think he should then serve & volley as his serve is massive and his volleys aren't half bad watching him play nadal.

GlennMirnyi
01-14-2007, 02:16 AM
i just saw the match completely on TV and both guys really played quite a high level of tennis so though it was just an exhibition match there was lots of competition and passion in it.

But with Dima you can also refer not just to this one game but to the whole year 2006 regarding to his development in raising his tennis, his consistency and attitude to the game.

We´ll see what he will reach in the AO. Hopefully he doesn`t have to withdrawal cuz of his injury :sad:

Well, if you'll talk to me about his 2006 season then I'll agree that he has chances, barring injury, of course.

GlennMirnyi
01-14-2007, 02:20 AM
The thing with Berdych is that he doesn't have a Plan B, when everything isn't firing he doesn't know what to do. Personally I think he should then serve & volley as his serve is massive and his volleys aren't half bad watching him play nadal.

But Berdych doesn't have the, how can I say it, the "habit" of the S&Ver... no doubt he's a great server and a good volleyer, but there are other players that are both and aren't good at that (Safin).

Homo_Esperanto
01-14-2007, 02:24 AM
But Berdych doesn't have the, how can I say it, the "habit" of the S&Ver... no doubt he's a great server and a good volleyer, but there are other players that are both and aren't good at that (Safin).

Yeah GM, i think so too; Great Baseliner, Great serve, but with S&V he doesn`t seem to familiar and comfortable at all. I mean he is still young and maybe will work on it

jazar
01-14-2007, 09:30 AM
if davydenko is injury free then there is no chance. if nalbandian is injury free there is a slight chance. i think that unfortunately berdych will beat tursunov (i say unfortunately cos i am a big fan of dimitry, nothing against tomas), and berdych would have a better chance. but the odds would be more in favour of an injury free davydenko reaching the semis

Homo_Esperanto
01-14-2007, 09:34 AM
if davydenko is injury free then there is no chance. if nalbandian is injury free there is a slight chance. i think that unfortunately berdych will beat tursunov (i say unfortunately cos i am a big fan of dimitry, nothing against tomas), and berdych would have a better chance. but the odds would be more in favour of an injury free davydenko reaching the semis

I dunno, i would say on clay there would be hardly any chance for Dmitry or Tomas. But hey, this is HC and Dimas fave surface besides the fact he seems to be more consistent and stable in mind and in his game right now in order to really threaten a Davydenko cuz Dmitry is normally just more powerful in his groundstrokes and more varying in style.

Tursunov-Berdych? I will think Dima will win cuz he is more consistent then Tomas though it for sure will be very tight.

Horatio Caine
01-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Dima really has a great chance to make it into the SF`s if he will recover from his wrist injury completely. I mean this guy has lots of potential and finally seems to be more consistent as well which hasn`t been the case in previous years.

His match against Robredo at the Hopman Cup also showed that his tactical and strategic understanding for the game has raised with lots of variations in his style of playing, even starting quite a lot of S&V action recently.

With Berdych i am quite disappointed at the moment. I mean this guy also is a real talent. A strong baseliner with a huge serve as well. But he really seems to be just to inconsistent in his game and especially when things don`t go his way, he often loses focus and concentration.

Regarding Dima`s talent he should have the potential to make it into the SF`s

Dima? Consistent? Tactical and strategic? Understanding of the game? Variations in style? Surely that was not Dima! :spit: :haha: :haha:

Horatio Caine
01-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Dima is very dangerous, no doubt about it. But sometimes I get the feeling that is all he is :shrug:

Homo_Esperanto
01-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Dima? Consistent? Tactical and strategic? Understanding of the game? Variations in style? Surely that was not Dima! :spit: :haha: :haha:

Oh yes he surely is it :cool: Lets wait for 2007 to end and let us just talk to one another again about Dimas development regarding to his game and his rankings at the years end again:yeah:

Horatio Caine
01-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Oh yes he surely is it :cool: Lets wait for 2007 to end and let us just talk to one another again about Dimas development regarding to his game and his rankings at the years end again:yeah:

I don't doubt that he CAN make it to the top, chief ;) But Dima's game ( :secret: and head) are more reminiscent of a loose cannon :tape:

jazar
01-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't doubt that he CAN make it to the top, chief ;) But Dima's game ( :secret: and head) are more reminiscent of a loose cannon :tape:

totally. he is very combustible on court

Homo_Esperanto
01-14-2007, 10:36 AM

You aren`t that wrong mate in your estimation about the mental state and his game but comparing it to previous years his state of mind and game is as just consistent as the national debts of germany and believe me to say this as a citizen of this country who is highly affected by that in some way..this is f...ing consistent :lol:

Ivanatis
01-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Berdych maybe, Tursunov not

but I prefer Söderling's chances in this quarter, if Davydenko and Nalbandian struggle

RonE
01-14-2007, 12:34 PM
I would really love for Berdych to finally have a breakthrough in a grand slam and his game is suited for all surfaces. I think he could do exceptionally well on rebound ace provided, as many have already mentioned, that he keeps his head attached to his shoulders.

Saumon
01-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Rename the Australian Open "Australian Open Cup" and Tursunov will WIN it! ;)

BORO77
01-14-2007, 02:10 PM
This half of the draw is a joke anyway.
Berdych could reach the semis but i dont believe in him.
I think Soedrling, Malisse, Haas are better

betterthanhenman
01-14-2007, 02:39 PM
All the Berdych fans will get very excited (again) and talk about how amazingly talented he is (again) as he progresses through the opening rounds with ease (again).

Then they will cry about his loss before the semis (again).

canbera
01-14-2007, 02:57 PM

consider that the h2h of Berdych and Haas is 2:1... with Berdych winning the last two matches which were VERY close. Tommy should have won both, especially in Wimbledon he had lots of bad luck. He surely wants revenge.

So Nalbandian probably wins over Grosjean and Haas over Soderling and we got a 4th round meeting... Davydenko, Tursunov, Malisse and Berdych are all on the lower side and there will probably be a 4th round with Davydenko vs. winner of Berdych/Tursunov.