hewitt-russell, who will win? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

hewitt-russell, who will win?

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Who do you think will win?

russell has just won the noumea challenger and only lost 11 games out of 67!!!

he went through the qualifing draw losing only 16 games! Apparently he's been playing great tennis for now 2 weeks.

hewitt on the other hand is in bad shape with a small injury!

MilMilCho
01-13-2007, 09:56 AM
How can Hewitt or russell win in 2 when its best of 5,
or Im wrong.:confused:

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 10:03 AM
How can Hewitt or russell win in 2 when its best of 5,
or Im wrong.:confused:

Sh..., I am tired sorry, haven't slept much last night!

How can I edit my poll???

Aaaahhh, friday nights...

RonE
01-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Is this the same Russel who had Guga on the ropes in 2001 RG?

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Is this the same Russel who had Guga on the ropes in 2001 RG?

Yep!

And he's been very impressive this year so far!

RonE
01-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Yep!

And he's been very impressive this year so far!

Interesting.....

I vaguely remember that match against Guga but that having been the only time I saw him play and bearing in mind it was almost six years ago I don't really remember what his game is like that much. All I can remember is that he hit pretty big off both wings.

A lot will depend on Hewitt's calf but should he be ok physically I think it will be a bit of a tussle with Hewitt prevailing in 4 tight sets.

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Interesting.....

I vaguely remember that match against Guga but that having been the only time I saw him play and bearing in mind it was almost six years ago I don't really remember what his game is like that much. All I can remember is that he hit pretty big off both wings.

A lot will depend on Hewitt's calf but should he be ok physically I think it will be a bit of a tussle with Hewitt prevailing in 4 tight sets.

Yep, I imagine hewitt will win the match but he'll probably lose a set!

By the way, do you know how I can change the poll?

Xristos
01-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Russell is the guy who played Monfils round 1 at the US Open isnt he?

RonE
01-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Yep, I imagine hewitt will win the match but he'll probably lose a set!

By the way, do you know how I can change the poll?

Sorry mate, I have NFI. You might need to ask the higher powers about that.

BlackButterfly
01-13-2007, 11:02 AM
hewitt withdrew

Adler
01-13-2007, 11:04 AM
hewitt withdrew
Is it confirmed?

jazar
01-13-2007, 11:07 AM
he hasnt withdrawn, but he thought he might have been forced to:

Australia's No.1 player Lleyton Hewitt said he feared being forced out of Australian Open 2007 because of a tumultuous build-up which involved him losing a coach and sustaining a one-and-half-centimetre tear in his calf.

Hewitt revealed his recent split with coach Roger Rasheed and his being forced to miss the Medibank International in Sydney due to injury nearly derailed his 11th Open campaign.

"I'm not hiding it's not the best situation to be in coming into a Grand Slam," Hewitt said on Saturday. "I think mentally the injury knocked me around with the chance I may not be playing the Australian Open."

"When I pulled up a couple of hours after that match (in Adelaide), you know, there's no chance I was going to be able to play. It was more trying to stay positive and manage the situation that I had in front of me."

Battling patella tendonitis and witnessing the slide of his world ranking from No.4 to 19 over the past 12 months, Hewitt remains upbeat about his prospects at the Open and on Rebound Ace, a surface he says is playing 'slightly' quicker than previous years.

Composed and relaxed, Hewitt said the recent roadblocks to his Open path had only made him more determined to play - and succeed - in the tournament.

Daily physiotherapy and treatment has improved his calf to about '90 per cent' fitness and his call on new coach, friend and confidante Scott Draper, has in part healed the mental wounds from his off-court dramas.

"After the first couple of days after I found out I had a small tear, I was a bit down obviously, not knowing how it was going to respond," he said. "I've done absolutely everything possible physio and treatment-wise to get me as close as possible to 100 per cent."

"I think, fingers crossed, it will hold up okay. I feel like I've prepared as well as possible. I did a lot of stuff through November and December to get ready for the Australian Open."

"If I put myself in the right frame of mind going out there, that never-say-die attitude, especially what got me to the final two years ago. You know, I can't have a much tougher draw than I had a couple of years ago here …"

"I know what it's going to take to come through a couple of big matches."

Hewitt has drawn a qualifier in the first round. To advance to the second week he may have to confront Chilean 10th seed Fernando Gonzalez or new Argentine star Juan Martin Del Potro in the third-round. If he gets through the round of 32, he has a possible fourth-round encounter with James Blake or Carlos Moya.

If there is any remote conciliation to his Open fortunes, he is on the opposite side of the draw from world No.1 Roger Federer, No.2 seed Rafael Nadal, David Nalbandian, Andy Murray and Tomas Berdych in the bottom half.

"If I get through the first week and put some pressure on the name players in the second week, I've got a chance. I think mental toughness is going to play a huge part," he said. "I love the Australian Open. I love playing here. I get goose bumps walking into this place."

"This is great memories for me, not only coming here as a young kid matching (Ivan) Lendl and (Stefan) Edberg and (Mats) Wilander and all these guys, but making the final two years ago, even though I lost, was a huge occasion for me and one of great pleasure and great memory."

"I try and be as mentally tough as possible every time I step on the court. I think when the bell rings Monday or Tuesday, I think I’ll be ready to go. Mentally I'll be as focused as ever … know what I need to do out there."

anyway, i think his match definitely won't be straight sets, hewitt will scrape through in 5

aussie_fan
01-13-2007, 11:24 AM
i think hewitt will scrape in 5 sets but i wouldn't be surprised he lost. I heard reports today that he thinks he's going to win the tournament, i like lleyton but i think he will be lucky to get to the 3rd round.

Adler
01-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Hewitt should pull himself together. His draw isn't bad, he can make it to the quarters quite easily. He'd just stop thinking bout anything that is around tennis and focus on tennis itself

Auscon
01-13-2007, 12:24 PM
It'll be scrappy but Lleyton should come through in 4

Snowwy
01-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Hewiit has a 1 and a half centimer tear in his calf so I could see him losing this one. He is oging to hae a hard time but with that injury its understandable.

Grinder
01-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Mike is a big time grinder, he's really solid off both sides and likes to push his opponents from side to side. Lleyton will be in for a lot of running, the kind of player that Mike has trouble with when he's on is a big hitting shotmaker and that's definitely not Hewitt. He's got a shot.

Here's some clips of his match vs. Guga in the 4r of RG in 2001.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5TjMfC2R28

cobalt60
01-13-2007, 03:14 PM
I am pulling for MR in this one :D

ChinoRios4Ever
01-13-2007, 03:55 PM
hewitt will play? :confused:

Ivanatis
01-13-2007, 04:10 PM
with Hewitt being healthy I think this one will last 3 or 4 sets only
but the way it seems, Russell has really a chance to win it

I have to admit I never saw him playing (or I don't remember) , but watching his stats from the quali's he seems to play quite intelligent; he's neither huge nor a guy getting lots of aces, but his 1st serve percentage and 1st serve winning percentage have been incredibly strong, though Hewitt will be a lot better than all the guys he played there

I'd say Hewitt in 5 if he does not retire

Burrow
01-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I think Russel will win the match if he is on form, the man has robotic legs.

FSRteam
01-15-2007, 09:24 PM
So will hewitt suffer an early loss?!?

It is time you made a choice!

Allure
01-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Hewitt in 4.

Agassi Aces
01-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Hewitt will rip Russell apart in straight sets I believe!

Balerion
01-15-2007, 09:45 PM
I'd have to favor Hewitt if he was healthy, but given his calf issues and inconsistent play, coupled with Mike Russell's resurgence over the past four months, I'd say this is a 50-50 match. Keep in mind, Hewitt lost to Igor Kunitsyn in Adelaide and if he almost withdrew, he probably hasn't been able to practice at 100%. He's not in top form.

I'll go out on a limb and say Russell in 4.

FSRteam
01-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Hewitt will rip Russell apart in straight sets I believe!

I'll have to look up into the dictionnary if "to rip" has another meaning!!! :lol: