Roddick d. Federer 6-2 3-6 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick d. Federer 6-2 3-6 6-3

Pages : [1] 2

Grinder
01-13-2007, 04:32 AM
I don't care if it's an exhibition or not, they were both trying and it's all good. Andy's forehand was huge and he saved some crucial break points in the third set. Didn't waver serving for it either with two aces in the final game. :D

Huge for Andy's confidence...great job man. :worship:

croat123
01-13-2007, 04:32 AM
omg! andy can beat fed!! wow!! great job andy!!

NYCtennisfan
01-13-2007, 04:33 AM
:lol:

croat123
ah yes, fed was really trying
some of those serve and volleys were classic

El Legenda
did the world just end?

Havok
Hooray for Kooyong. Screw the Australian Open, Kooyong is what matters most :lol:.

Too bad they're on the same side of the draw at the Aussie Open, but huge confidence booster for Andy :yeah:.

Tennis Fool
Exos don't count to h2hs do they?

ChinoRios4Ever
01-13-2007, 04:34 AM
IT'S MIRACLE!!!!!
:yeah: andy

nobama
Well that should give Roddick some confidence going into AO.

bad gambler
Roddick served really well today, both got what they wanted out of the week and are the men to beat without question over the next 2 weeks

Federer and Rochey came into the match with a clear plan to S/V on every opportunity which Fed did consistently throughout the match.

croat123
nope :)

*Viva Chile*
Roger will demolish Roddick at the AO in SF, that's for sure ;) (if Marat doesn't stop the duck earlier)

An exhibition is only an exhibition and that's all. It will never be present on the records.

Jimnik
Look, I'm a big Andy Roddick fan, and I wish I didn't have to say this, but I could swear SWEAR that Federer tanked this match. I mean did you see those shots he hit at 15-40 on Andy's serve?

scoobs
Nicely done by Roddick - certainly sends the right message out before the Australian Open.

But - now he has to do it again, over 5 sets, and this one is for keeps.

We'll see if he can.

RickDaStick
Federer giving Roddick false hope before the australian? Brilliant strategy.

bad gambler
Roddick first man since Agassi to win B2b Kooyong tournaments

Sjengster

Nope, if they did I believe Hewitt would have one more win over Federer but Federer would also have one more bagel against Hewitt (very odd match they played at the Hopman Cup one year when Llegs had chickenpox).

Federer&Hingis
01-13-2007, 04:35 AM
Roger plays serve&volley almost every point.:rolleyes:

Roger The Great
Fed played almost exclusively S&V in the second and third sets on his first AND second serve. He played some beautiful points at the net. The man is seriously gifted. But I highly doubt he plays this way when it counts.

El Legenda
wasting 15-40 3 times in a set is a tank to me :lol:

Havok
Ljubicic lost 2/3 of his matches, get over it :p.

mangoes
01-13-2007, 04:36 AM
Congrats Andy:hug: Like Roger:hug: I also had a smile on my face.

bluefork
Roddick first man since Agassi to win B2b Kooyong tournaments

Ah, what an achievement. Almost as good as winning a Slam :devil:

Winston's Human

No.

But this is still good for Roddick mentally.

*Viva Chile*

My thoughts exactly ;)

El Legenda

Sjengster
01-13-2007, 04:37 AM
Anyhow, if it had been a total tank job by Federer it wouldn't have gone 3 sets, and at the very least it gives the media something to talk up, just as the defeat to Haas last year provided interesting speculation with them drawn to face each other in the last 16. We now have to see whether the pattern of losing at Kooyong and winning the AO holds up.

ChinoRios4Ever
it's an exo
let's wait for the AO

L James
Well done Andy. But yes, Federer used "Plan B" today.

And JerrySeinfeld, I love your avatars :yeah:

tennis lover
:banana: I don't care if it's only an exhibition, he still beat federer! :D

Havok
01-13-2007, 04:38 AM
Roger will demolish Roddick at the AO in SF, that's for sure ;) (if Marat doesn't stop the duck earlier)

An exhibition is only an exhibition and that's all. It will never be present on the records.

Just take a look at what it did to Haas last year. Yes it is only an exhibition, but you can still take so much out of it.

NYCtennisfan
I would have loved to be able to see this. It seemed that Federer can still be quite effective ss/v on 1st serves although it was against Roddick and not somebody like Murray or Nalbandian. It also seemed that Federer doesn't get into as good of a rhythm when he s/v and it shows on his groundstrokes and return game. Roddick did hit an enormous amount of unreturnables today though.

lordmanji
did i predict it or what?

sykotique
01-13-2007, 04:39 AM
It was a beautiful match and both players played very well but...

(Yes, there must be a 'but')

Why was it that Federer decided only today to play serve and volley on almost every point? He came on first serves, on second serves, he even attempted to chip and charge on Roddick's second serve.

If Federer was used to playing like this, I would say that this match was a sign of things to come. But as is, it was an exhibition and Federer seemed to be treating it like one - that is, an exhibition of serve and volley.

I think Federer's up to something...

scoobs
Was a great match - and adds a nice touch of excitement going into the 2007 Australian Open

rofe
Well played Andy. :clap2:

Fed had a lot of trouble with the wind in the 1st so he switched to S&V which he almost executed to perfection. I like watching Fed volley - he should use it more so that he can get more practice with it.

Andy stood his ground though and pulled through with some great clutch serving.

croat123
eh ljubo always loses here and still finds a way to have a pretty decent season
roddick won here last year and struggled to win matches til august

Yappa
01-13-2007, 04:40 AM
Yeah, but unlike against Haas, you could clearly see that Federer wasn't playing like he usually does. An entertaining match and good to see Andy smiling like that nevertheless. :)

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 04:40 AM
Federer didn't give away it , he was playing much better than Andy in second set and better in 3rd winning all service games to love or to 15 , and Roddick was struggling in third Federer had 15-40 three times in row, but Roddick played his best when facing a Break Points the stats for this match are amazing :

Roddick - Winners 22(9 ACES), UE 23 , Direct Points from Serve(Not Aces) 27
Federer - Winners 39(10 Aces) UE 29, Direct Points from Serve 2

nobama
01-13-2007, 04:41 AM
I didn't see it but I'm wondering the same thing. Fed's not known to s/v as much as he did today. If he's gonna lose, might as well lose trying something different.

bad gambler
I would have loved to be able to see this. It seemed that Federer can still be quite effective ss/v on 1st serves although it was against Roddick and not somebody like Murray or Nalbandian. It also seemed that Federer doesn't get into as good of a rhythm when he s/v and it shows on his groundstrokes and return game. Roddick did hit an enormous amount of unreturnables today though.

I think he had the right idea today, but the conditions on court didn't really help his cause IMO

The fact that he only bothered to revert to staying at the back of the court late in the piece suggested to me it was defintiely something which was pre planned

*RODDICK fan*
Congrats Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2 ::clap2::clap2::clap2:

LilyRoseAva
i'm worry for federer
he had serious problems vs stepanek, and now he lose vs roddick
i don't like that, even if it"s an exhibition

Loremaster
wasting 15-40 3 times in a set is a tank to me :lol:

4 out of 6 these Bps where Aces on unreturned serves from Andy

Magus13
Fed absolutely did not tank. He used this match to work on things for the AO. Roddick definately put pressure on Fed in Shanghai by constantly coming to net. The best way to stop that is to ge to net first. In the AO Fed will certainly come to net less, but will try and keep Roddick at the baseline where the advantage goes to Fed. If he was gonna tank he would have dropped the second set. Nice win for Roddick, a good tune up for Roger. Bring on the AO.

croat123
01-13-2007, 04:42 AM
Fed absolutely did not tank. He used this match to work on things for the AO. Roddick definately put pressure on Fed in Shanghai by constantly coming to net. The best way to stop that is to ge to net first. In the AO Fed will certainly come to net less, but will try and keep Roddick at the baseline where the advantage goes to Fed. If he was gonna tank he would have dropped the second set. Nice win for Roddick, a good tune up for Roger. Bring on the AO.
he only won the second set cause roddick didn't come up with 10 huge serves in a row...otherwise he would have lost that too

bad gambler
01-13-2007, 04:42 AM
i'm worry for federer
he had serious problems vs stepanek, and now he lose vs roddick
i don't like that, even if it"s an exhibition

Straight from the horses mouth during the presentation "I'm ready for the Australian Open"

:wavey:

NYCtennisfan
01-13-2007, 04:43 AM
I think he had the right idea today, but the conditions on court didn't really help his cause IMO

The fact that he only bothered to revert to staying at the back of the court late in the piece suggested to me it was defintiely something which was pre planned

I had a feeling this was what Rochey and him were working on over the winter break. Shortening up some points will help lengthen his career and will of course add another weapon in his arsenal. From the scores it seemed like he got into a really good groove from the middle of the 2nd set until the middle of the 3rd set.

El Legenda
01-13-2007, 04:44 AM
Fed absolutely did not tank. He used this match to work on things for the AO. .

tank= using a match to work on things :D

bluefork
01-13-2007, 04:44 AM
I think you can look at this match two ways:
If you're a Roddick fan, you say, "Yes! Andy finally beat Roger and he's going to have loads of confidence going into the AO!"
If you're not, you say, "Roger wasn't playing his normal game and instead was serve-and-volleying most of the match--and it was still pretty close."

Personally, I'm not going to read too much into this result. ;)

sykotique
01-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Federer may have gotten 39 winners statistically, but most of those "winners" were deep volleys.

Like I said, it looked like Federer was trying - I mean, he sure played that way. But his style of play tells an altogether different story. Federer is not an out-and-out serve-and-volleyer and I can't possibly see him changing his style so radically deep into a Grand Slam when it really counts.

This match could be very misleading, IMHO.

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 04:46 AM
The Odd thing is that both guys didn't play theirs best games against each other, Roger played S&V and but what is odd Adny didn't played S&V once in whole match and coming to net was his way to put pressure on Roger in UsOpen and in TMC , I don't know why Andy played some great volley but it was max 5 volley winners, he of course had some silly points when go went to net after nothing, But he charged the net maybe max 10 times , he sticked to baseline , but his strokes look much better his BH was consitenet and had more power in it

nobama
01-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Did Roddick do anything different here than in Shanghai?

scoobs
Look - regardless of how much or how little Roger put in or Andy put in or how much Roger was varying his usual playing style for the practice, Andy won and that's a great result for him. How much confidence it will give him going into next week should not be underestimated or dismissed, especially given how close he came in Shanghai.

We do all know, though, that this isn't what counts, but the next two weeks do.

He potentially has to do it again, over 5 sets, and that one does count - on the H2H, and possibly on the name engraved on the trophy at the end.

Andy has given himself the best possible preparation but this was only the entrée.

I think we're all nearly ready for the main course now.

Yappa
Roddick thanking the tourney organization and the crowd. Then he said that they had watched the previous match and noticed the windy conditions. They tried to make the best out of it.

And after that the stream coverage stopped, damnit. :(

Fergie
Great effort Rogi :lol: ... Keep improving the s&v game :yeah:

KaxMisha
01-13-2007, 04:49 AM
:banana: I don't care if it's only an exhibition, he still beat federer! :D

No v Avstralijskom otkrytom, Federer ego razgromit.

Magus13
01-13-2007, 04:49 AM
he only won the second set cause roddick didn't come up with 10 huge serves in a row...otherwise he would have lost that too

Stop with the tank crap. I'm a Fed fan and watched the match. He didn't play his A game but didn't intentionally lose. He had a plan to S&V and follwing his gameplan was more important than winning an exhibition. He did not tank. Give Roddick and his fans some credit and move on. No big deal.

RickDaStick
01-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Stop with the tank crap. I'm a Fed fan and watched the match. Hedidn't play hi a game but didn't intentionally lose. He had a plan to S&V and follwing his gameplan was more important than winning an exhibition. He did not tank. Give Roddick and his fans some credit and move on. No big deal.

Why do Roddick fans deserve credit for a Roddick win :confused:

Loremaster
Did Roddick do anything different here than in Shanghai?

He was at the net max 10 times in match , and not a single S&V from him , but didn't make any volley error , he had something like 5 perfect volley and he was passed by Roger (wonderfull passing shots ) few times but mainly after silly aproach shots (he do it sometimes )

scoobs
Much credit goes to Roddick in that third set - he saved a ton of break points with some gutsy play and huge serving. In the past he might have cracked - this time he backed himself and came up the winner.

Magus13
01-13-2007, 04:52 AM
tank= using a match to work on things :D

tank=not trying to win or intentionally losing.

KaxMisha
01-13-2007, 04:52 AM

Why was it that Federer decided only today to play serve and volley on almost every point? He came on first serves, on second serves, he even attempted to chip and charge on Roddick's second serve.

If Federer was used to playing like this, I would say that this match was a sign of things to come. But as is, it was an exhibition and Federer seemed to be treating it like one - that is, an exhibition of serve and volley.

I agree. Apart from the serve-and-volleying, throughout this entire tournament, he has hit his forehand much softer than he usually would on many occasions and really has tried to work on his backhand - both the drive and the slice.

Sofyaxo
01-13-2007, 04:53 AM
And I know most of MTF doesn't like him, but I'm really happy that Andy won.

He had Roger trying new things on him, which means that Roger had to try new stuff. The massive s/v routine only came out in the second and third set after Andy broke him twice in the first.

Metis
01-13-2007, 04:54 AM
Good for Andy. Now all he has to do to get to the AO final is beat 5 other guys and then Feds again. ;)

bluefork
01-13-2007, 04:56 AM

I agree that this shouldn't be called a "tank." But I really don't think Roddick and his fans should get their hopes up just because of an exhibition match.

Remember that Gaudio nearly beat Federer in Kooyong a few years back.

Magus13
01-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Why do Roddick fans deserve credit for a Roddick win :confused:

I stand corrected. Give Roddick credit and let his fans enjoy the outcome.
Happy?

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 04:57 AM
DID anyone noticed no S&V from Andy , no volleys at all . And it was the think which gave him some sucess against Roger in UsOpen and in TMC ??

mangoes
01-13-2007, 04:57 AM
Much credit goes to Roddick in that third set - he saved a ton of break points with some gutsy play and huge serving. In the past he might have cracked - this time he backed himself and came up the winner.

Very True......

Port_Power
01-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Well done duckboy

*Viva Chile*

Fed not try to win this time = tank

(and I'm not a Federer nor Roddick fan) :p

Roddick played at his 100% while Roger, with luck, at his 20%. But I recognize that Roddick played a nice match ;)

MilMilCho
Federer certainly didnt tank the match,
but it will be a joke to think he really tried so hard to win out there.
When he was down 15/40 in 3rd set, he S&V on the second serve.(If I remember correctly)
I dont see how he would do that again in other matches,
it would be insane of him to do that in Oz open, if same thing happens.
Also he almost s&v on every point even after 2nd serve,
he probably is workin on something.
But still a great win for Roddick, I mean, he finally beat Federer.
Thats what he always dreamt to happen.

NadalMachine
Why was fed broken two times in the 1st? Anybody who saw it has some insight on that?

nobama
I agree that this shouldn't be called a "tank." But I really don't think Roddick and his fans should get their hopes up just because of an exhibition match.

Remember that Gaudio nearly beat Federer in Kooyong a few years back.
I don't see that from Roddick fans. :shrug:

nobama
01-13-2007, 05:01 AM
DID anyone noticed no S&V from Andy , no volleys at all . And it was the think which gave him some sucess against Roger in UsOpen and in TMC ??Maybe he's trying to give Roger different looks?

Carito_90
01-13-2007, 05:01 AM
I don't care if it's an exhibition or not, they were both trying and it's all good. Andy's forehand was huge and he saved some crucial break points in the third set. Didn't waver serving for it either with two aces in the final game. :D

Huge for Andy's confidence...great job man. :worship:

Absolutely agree. I don't even care about the fact that he won the exho, I'm just glad he beat Roger even if it's not a real match, they were both playing quite well and it's huge for his confidence.

:banana:

rofe
01-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Why was fed broken two times in the 1st? Anybody who saw it has some insight on that?

The wind was bothering him.

Kip
01-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Nice win for Roddick.

However, to make this into more than anything
than it was which was simply an exhibition would
not be prudent in my estimation. However, I'm positive
once the AO you'll find P.Mac using this result to further
prove his claim that Roddick will win the AO.

i.e.Neither Roddick or anyone else should allow themselves
to be lulled into a false sense of security in a Slam and a best
of 5 sets.

Roger Federer doesn't have that "sly as a fox"
smile for nothing. Getting the feeling he's gonna
be putting on an exhibition come the Open.

Magical Trevor
01-13-2007, 05:03 AM
I'd say Federer wasn't tanking. Just trying to add more dimensions to his game. He has great volleys but hasn't used them that much in his recent dominance.

This loss I don't think affects Federer at all, but it must be a massive boost for Andy. If he couldn't close it out here, his mindset against Roger would have been shot to pieces. He really pushed hard today, kept it close to the lines, and deserved the win.

Lilpiper
01-13-2007, 05:03 AM
I am soooooooo freaking proud and happy for Andy. I knew this day would come, when he beats Federer. This is a huge confidence and mental boost for Andy. I am so hyped for the Australian Open now. You totally deserved to win. Andy won this match fair and square, even though it doesn't count "officially" it's still a tennis match. KEEP IT UP ANDY!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO:)

MisterQ
01-13-2007, 05:04 AM
This is the second best thing that's ever happened to me.

First best was Andre def. Roger, Kooyong 2004. :rolls: ;)

Langers
01-13-2007, 05:05 AM
Look, I'm a big Andy Roddick fan, and I wish I didn't have to say this, but I could swear SWEAR that Federer tanked this match. I mean did you see those shots he hit at 15-40 on Andy's serve?
Yep no doubt.

Roddick played well but it was pretty evident Federer was giving away nothing today.

rofe
01-13-2007, 05:05 AM

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 05:06 AM
Maybe he's trying to give Roger different looks?

Maybe but it was weird maybe he didn't want to show roger what he learned in off season :devil: because it was something like mystery for me, he had sucess against Roger when he attacked all the time (Wimby 2004, UsOpen2006 TMC) when he sticked to baseline he was beaten comfortably (ok he won one match with fourious shotmaking in Canada ) and he volleyed only few times but all of them were clean winners.

El Legenda
01-13-2007, 05:07 AM
I am soooooooo freaking proud and happy for Andy. I knew this day would come, when he beats Federer. This is a huge confidence and mental boost for Andy. I am so hyped for the Australian Open now. You totally deserved to win. Andy won this match fair and square, even though it doesn't count "officially" it's still a tennis match. KEEP IT UP ANDY!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO:)

:confused:

sykotique
01-13-2007, 05:07 AM
Hmmm...okay this is how I break it down.

Federer and Roddick will walk away from this match with 2 different impressions.

As much of a confidence boost as it is for Roddick, it's not as if we didn't know Andy could beat Federer in a best of 3 sets scenario - he actually came within a first serve of it at the TMC. And Federer knows this.

So for Andy to prove that he can beat Roger, even if it is an exhibition is a huge achievement.

BUT - and there is always a but when it comes to exhibitions - Federer practically just played serve and volley on almost every point he had the chance to. On a slow hard court by the way. He came in on his second serves, something he simply never ever does.

Roddick can take confidence away from this match, but his next step should be to get a video of this match and study what he was doing right and not necessarily what Federer was doing wrong, because if he does that in a Grand Slam when Federer isn't trying out anything new at all, then he's going to be in for a rude awakening.

I don't think Federer tanked this match at all - but he certainly did not play the way we usually see him play. And it's pretty clear to me that this was intentional.

NYCtennisfan
01-13-2007, 05:08 AM

Tennis Fool
Fed absolutely did not tank. He used this match to work on things for the AO. .
Maybe not a tank, but target practice :scratch:

RickDaStick
I bet PMAC wet himself when he saw Andy won. Now we have to listen to him talk about how this will be a huge confidence booster for roddick and how roddick will triple bagel Fed on his way to the title.

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 05:13 AM
People are still talking about exhos... that's ridiculous. :lol:

knight_ley
01-13-2007, 05:13 AM
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

:drink: :drink: :drink:

:aparty: :aparty: :aparty:

:woohoo: !!!!

rofe
01-13-2007, 05:14 AM
I bet PMAC wet himself when he saw Andy won. Now we have to listen to him talk about how this will be a huge confidence booster for roddick and how roddick will triple bagel Fed on his way to the title.

Yeah I dred the thought of listening to PMac when the AO starts. "Mute" may not be a bad option after all.

tangerine_dream
01-13-2007, 05:17 AM
DID anyone noticed no S&V from Andy , no volleys at all . And it was the think which gave him some sucess against Roger in UsOpen and in TMC ??
Loremaster (and BG) thanks for the live scoring, that was great to read. :hatoff:

So Roger s/v'd all the time and Andy did none? And Andy still won? :scratch:

The only thing I've learned from just reading everybody's comments is that both Roger and Andy seem to have obtained their objective in confusing the hell out of everybody.

But it's just an exo. I don't think these guys are going to play the same game come AO time.

bluefork
01-13-2007, 05:17 AM
I don't see that from Roddick fans. :shrug:

I am soooooooo freaking proud and happy for Andy. I knew this day would come, when he beats Federer. This is a huge confidence and mental boost for Andy. I am so hyped for the Australian Open now. You totally deserved to win. Andy won this match fair and square, even though it doesn't count "officially" it's still a tennis match. KEEP IT UP ANDY!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO

No?

craighickman
01-13-2007, 05:23 AM

So what. It's present in their minds and in this case, that's just as important.

nobama
01-13-2007, 05:24 AM
No?I guess I was referring to the Roddick fans who frequent his forum.

nobama
01-13-2007, 05:28 AM
I bet PMAC wet himself when he saw Andy won. Now we have to listen to him talk about how this will be a huge confidence booster for roddick and how roddick will triple bagel Fed on his way to the title.Maybe, but if he saw the match I don't know how he could say that. Fed playing s/v, coming in on first and second serves. When's the last time he did that in a real match? '05 USO against Santoro?

sykotique
01-13-2007, 05:29 AM
Good luck to both players in the AO. But considering that a match between them at a Grand Slam would probably look considerably different to what we saw today, I'm sure both of them are smart enough to know what are the positives, what are the negatives and what to ignore.

R.Federer
01-13-2007, 05:32 AM
Congrats to andy!!
Tommy also beat Roger last year in Kooyong and it took him far in the Australian.

Gasquet&Feli_Fan
01-13-2007, 05:45 AM
wow im very surprised!!! Congrats Andy :) :yeah:

denine
01-13-2007, 05:51 AM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

nobama
01-13-2007, 05:58 AM
:)

TenHound
01-13-2007, 06:16 AM
No one apparently remembers the recent exo in which Pete beat Andy obviously playing S/V as an influence upon Roger & Tony's decision to toy w/this.

Veronique
01-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Roger gets credit for working on his S&V game, but Andy isn't afforded the same courtesy for working on his baseline game. Oh well! This was an exho game, nothing more nothing less.

lordmanji
01-13-2007, 06:24 AM
i watched match from 1-1 in the first set and here are my impressions:

fed was shanking badly volleys and forehands throughout the match. the ues stopped coming when he switched to serve and volley in the third set though there were still some. fed never mishits that many balls and i am under the impression that he wasn't taking it too seriously and the windy conditions affected his accuracy.

roddick played his game and didnt for once play like it was just an exo. he played like he played in shanghai, same strat (though didnt attack net nearly as much this time). he held up very well mentally being down break points on some occasions and up on some occasions closing it out. his ground strokes, while still ugly, and he had more than a few ues on easy fhs, has gotten more consistent and dangerous. his net game was impressive. he put away a few missles fed threw straight at him into the open court which adheres to the connors's "you only need to learn how to hit one volley" philosophy.

i dont think fed tried as hard as he normally does. it was on par with the andy murray cincy performance. but on the otherhand, its not like fed gave it away either. the last thing he wants to do is give the mojo more confidence heading into the ao. mojo worked hard for it and took the big V away from fed. it is a good win though not legitimate, a good indicator of where the mojo is in terms of playing ability v fed, and a good motivator for his upcoming trip to the AO.

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Of course he wasn't taking it seriously, it's an exho. Nobody's taking it serious.

Well, maybe the Ducktards.

zicofirol
01-13-2007, 06:47 AM
the same thing happened with Haas last year and look at how well haas played federer after that :o

Exhibitions are what they are and just like in preseason no one tries as hard, players try nwew things etc. i dont look much into this...

Bremen
01-13-2007, 06:50 AM
the same thing happened with Haas last year and look at how well haas played federer after that :o

Exhibitions are what they are and just like in preseason no one tries as hard, players try nwew things etc. i dont look much into this...

Hass played Federer well but he didn't beat him did he?

Anyway...more drama to the open...I suppose that's a good thing...but I still think things will be very different in an actual grand slam tournament. Fed's killer instinct will take over, for sure.

RonE
01-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Congrats to Andy :yeah:

Voo de Mar
01-13-2007, 07:41 AM
:banana: I've beted on Andy :banana:

Allez
01-13-2007, 07:44 AM
I know Federer lost in the quarters to Haas last year but went on to win OZ, beating Haas along the way. However I don't think he'll do the same this year. Not with Roddick in this sort of form. Remember Roddick came within a match point of beating Rogi in Shanghai, so he's been getting closer and closer. Jimmy Connors has worked miracles with him confidence wise. Right now he has to be the favourite going into next week. I'm not a big fan of his, but I'm happy that he is finally reaching his potential. To think we were all laughing @ his ass pre Cincy last year...It's going to be a very interesting 2007.

Action Jackson
01-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha, this is bigger than Roddick winning Wimbledon and the US Open in the same year without losing a game in 14 matches.

Allez
01-13-2007, 08:14 AM
This is a sign of big things to come.

bokehlicious
01-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Well done Andy :yeah:

FedFan
01-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Congrats Andy! :worship: Should give him some confidence for the AO.

General Suburbia
01-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Expect Andy to surge next year. He'll probably tank like Fed did the year after he beat Sampras, only to come back with a vengeance.

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 08:44 AM
I haven't watched the match but according to what people say here, they both didn't play their usual games. It seems clear that fed doesn't and won't S&V all his way through the ausopen but it is also clear, to me, that roddick will do more S&Ving against fed if they are to meet. I think they both tried to mislead each other. Maybe roddick didn't want fed to have a shot at and get used to his S&V in order to keep this weapon for the "big time". Maybe fed affected by the wind choose to change his game and do more S&V to see how it goes!

Anyway, I think they both realised what they'll have to do next time they face and that this exhibition result doesn't really matter. However I agree it can be a boost for roddick's confidence.

MilMilCho
01-13-2007, 08:51 AM
This is a sign of big things to come.

yeh, I believe:rolleyes:, so like how Haas made it to 5 setters last year.

t0x
01-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Wasn't a tank, but Federer clearly was more concerned about practicing his volleys than winning. All I will say is, lets see Roddick do it in a GS...

For superstitious people, in the past 3 years Fed has won AO when he's lost at Kooyong (and when he did win Kooyong, he lost at AO!).

adee-gee
01-13-2007, 09:09 AM
:lol: at the Federer tanking stories :worship:

Yes, it was an exhibition and I didn't see the match, but sportsmen don't want to lose in training never mind in front of a crowd. Yes he might not have been giving his all but it's good for Andy to get a win over him, it'll give him some confidence especially when he thinks about the match in Shanghai as well.

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 09:14 AM

Yes, it was an exhibition and I didn't see the match, but sportsmen don't want to lose in training never mind in front of a crowd. Yes he might not have been giving his all but it's good for Andy to get a win over him, it'll give him some confidence especially when he thinks about the match in Shanghai as well.

Just like the boost of confidence the match in hongkong exhibition vs rafa will give fed, righ!?! ;)

Adler
01-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Big deal. I saw the match and Federer didn"t even bother to run more than 4 metres along the baseline. Kudos for Roddick, cause all in all he"s won, but some of the commentaries here really go too far

Black Adam
01-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Federer said that he used SV tactics inorder to cope with the wind and to shorten the points.

Q. Obviously it's never nice to lose, but do you feel you're in good

shape going into the Open?

Roger Federer: Yes, I think that's what really counts, you know, the way I feel.

It was hard conditions, and against Andy I knew that if the wind

was going to be blowing, that it's going to be really hard from

the baseline, so I decided, instead of breaking my rhythm,

I would rather come to the net and try something else and try to

play a little bit this way. Because already it's hard to return

his serve. But in this wind, on my own serves, to battle along,

it's not just great fun, so I decided to change it up a bit. It

worked pretty well, gave me the idea that I have that option as

well. So I thought at the end I started to play really well,

I had all my chances, so I was very happy actually the way I came

out on top in the match in the end. But he had the crucial

break, and it didn't really matter much in the end. I think the

match was good.

Q. Did Andy serve bigger than he has the last couple of days, today?

A. Well, in the first set. I don't think his serve was that great

in the second and third. It was tough for him in the wind as

well, that's why I was quite surprised how well he served in the

beginning. I practised with him over at Rod Laver Arena, he was

serving way better than today. I guess it's hard in the wind,

but he's definitely playing well. I didn't have to play him here

to know that, but definitely the fact that he's been able to

raise his game a little bit in the last six months or so.Practise together???!!:mad: Andy should watching Roger practise (and learn more) instead of practising with

rosamunda
01-13-2007, 09:43 AM

I would be more than a little surprised if Federer gave as much as 2 hoots about this match. If he'd been bothered about the result, surely he would have played his normal game rather than play serve and volley right to the bitter end. Now, if he'd lost playing normally and giving 100%, there might be cause for a little concern and angst on his part. As it is he got in some really decent practice at something he no longer does very often.

As for not wanting to lose matches in training, he apparently quite frequently does just that, so it really can't be a big deal for him. If it is, he must be regularly peed off!

I'm pleased for Roddick that he won but, judging by his comments at the press conference, I don't think he's setting too great a store by it either. I agree, though, that it will have boosted his confidence, and that can't be bad.

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 10:21 AM
I feel fed will play his best tennis in the semi final and easily beat roddick in 3 straights sets!!! :)

By the way, this is my 1000th post!!! :)

OSmeone
01-13-2007, 10:34 AM
The confidence factor will be a small plus for Roddick, and this match hopefully shows he'll be in good form the next two weeks. It all makes for a 2005-like Open than one like last year. :)

denisgiann
01-13-2007, 10:39 AM
it was just a glimpse of the things to come;) .Roger will use this style of play when he wont be able to dominate the game and still get some serious scalps.He didnt tank the match.It was a serious practice against a top player.

Xristos
01-13-2007, 10:43 AM

I agree 100%

adee-gee
01-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Just like the boost of confidence the match in hongkong exhibition vs rafa will give fed, righ!?! ;)
Well seeing as Roddick clearly had a psychological barrier up against beating Federer (see Shanghai + the head to head) it's certainly good for him to finally get a win, exhibition or not.

Federer had already beaten Nadal a few days earlier in Shanghai and although he still has a bit of a mental block against Nadal, it's not in the same league as Roddick vs. Federer. But sure, I'd have liked to see Rafa beat Federer in the exhibition :shrug:

I'm not saying if they met in the Aussie Open that Roddick would win....far from it. I just think it'll give him a little bit of confidence. And as he's a confidence player, it's a good win for him.

its.like.that
01-13-2007, 10:46 AM
I was in the crowd, front row.

Roger even said "man, what am i doing here"

KC13
01-13-2007, 11:00 AM
weel, i don't wanna confuse the man,but i would guess playing tennis Roger :D

nobama
01-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I know Federer lost in the quarters to Haas last year but went on to win OZ, beating Haas along the way. However I don't think he'll do the same this year. Not with Roddick in this sort of form. Remember Roddick came within a match point of beating Rogi in Shanghai, so he's been getting closer and closer. Jimmy Connors has worked miracles with him confidence wise. Right now he has to be the favourite going into next week. I'm not a big fan of his, but I'm happy that he is finally reaching his potential. To think we were all laughing @ his ass pre Cincy last year...It's going to be a very interesting 2007.Um it was the same thing last year (minus Connors). The ESPN crew was pimping Rodidck. I remember Mary Carillo picking him as the favorite. Especially when he cruised in his first three matches. I'm not suggesting he isn't a favorite for the SF but I'm sure most Roddick fans are cautiously optimistic. Look at Shanghai where he had MP against Federer and came so close to beating him then lost easily to Nalbandian (who then lost easliy to Blake in the SF). I can see that Connor has instilled the motivation and gameplan to take on Fed, but it's not just about Fed. He has to face 5 other guys before he can get to Fed (assuming Fed gets that far).

jazar
01-13-2007, 11:11 AM
its 5 sets in the AO, so will roddick be able to do it then?

i'm sure roger is just conserving energy and wants to be in top condition. anyway he lost to haas at kooyong last year and then beat haas at the AO and went on to win it. it could be a sign

KaxMisha
01-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I know Federer lost in the quarters to Haas last year but went on to win OZ, beating Haas along the way. However I don't think he'll do the same this year. Not with Roddick in this sort of form. Remember Roddick came within a match point of beating Rogi in Shanghai, so he's been getting closer and closer. Jimmy Connors has worked miracles with him confidence wise. Right now he has to be the favourite going into next week. I'm not a big fan of his, but I'm happy that he is finally reaching his potential. To think we were all laughing @ his ass pre Cincy last year...It's going to be a very interesting 2007.

:retard:

KaxMisha
01-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha, this is bigger than Roddick winning Wimbledon and the US Open in the same year without losing a game in 14 matches.

Yeah, you're right! I think it's safe to say he'll win a Golden Grand Slam this year - the fact that the Olympic Games aren't being held notwithstanding.

the answer
01-13-2007, 11:27 AM
:retard:

LOL Allez is one of the weirdest Federer fan's on MTF he/she always seems pessimistic about Roger's chances. I wonder if Allez isn't a undercover Roddick/Nadal fan.

Mateya
01-13-2007, 11:31 AM
:rolls: :zzz:

If Roddick looses in the first week of AO I will be :rolls: again!

We´ll see who is "the man" at AO! http://shrani.si/files/beerr04o.gif

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 11:32 AM
I was in the crowd, front row.

Roger even said "man, what am i doing here"

In what way did he say that?!?

aussie_fan
01-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Roddick played well in this amtch and desevred it, the funny thing the match doesn't count to the h2h.

oz_boz
01-13-2007, 11:55 AM
:banana: I've beted on Andy :banana:

Congrats! I didn't know you could bet on exhos.

silverarrows
01-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I've watched this match from the beginning til the end. From what I saw, Fed did not play his usual/typical game. He's like S/Ving most of the time. And we all know that is not his game. Practice maybe? I dunno..I just feel that Fed did not push it while A-Rod push it like the way he did in Shanghai but with less S/V. Anyways, congrats to Andy! He played really well.

KaxMisha
01-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Roddick played well in this amtch and desevred it, the funny thing the match doesn't count to the h2h.

Ever thought the outcome would have been different if it did count? ;)

merce
01-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Andy :banana:

i can't wait for the AO :)

Klaas_nalbandian
01-13-2007, 12:23 PM
congrats to a-rod

gulzhan
01-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Congratulations, Andy!

:secret: but it was fun watching Fed to practice the net approach :o

nsidhan
01-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Um it was the same thing last year (minus Connors). The ESPN crew was pimping Rodidck. I remember Mary Carillo picking him as the favorite. Especially when he cruised in his first three matches. I'm not suggesting he isn't a favorite for the SF but I'm sure most Roddick fans are cautiously optimistic. Look at Shanghai where he had MP against Federer and came so close to beating him then lost easily to Nalbandian (who then lost easliy to Blake in the SF). I can see that Connor has instilled the motivation and gameplan to take on Fed, but it's not just about Fed. He has to face 5 other guys before he can get to Fed (assuming Fed gets that far).

I agree. Roddick is programmed to beat Federer. Seems like that is his sole purpose in life. He does not play at his best mentally or tactfully against other players. AO courts are slow. Roddick's serve won't be very effective unlike grass or hardcourt were they seem insanely fast. I predict he loses to Safin in the 3rd round.

Green_Eyes
01-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Very pleasing result :) Andy :yeah: I couldn't be more happy.

tennis2tennis
01-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Andy played very well and should be applauded, ....
but do you wonder why Roger waited for the final to be experimental? He didn't serve and volley as much against safin who he beat fairly comfortably 2days ago...I think Federer wanted to experiment against Roddick 'cause he knew Roddick would be his toughest apponent come next week, I think he's tuning his game for a completely different tactic for the AO

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Roddick fired 9 ACEs and 26 unretuned serve(in this expo) and Roger said that he had served better when they praticed in Melbourne Park

Golfnduck
01-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Great win for Andy, I don't care if it is an exo match. I think this will do wonders for his confidence.

Voo de Mar
01-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Congrats! I didn't know you could bet on exhos.

Thx, I can. :yeah:

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes I have account on www.betway.com and they had all Kooyong matches to bet on

gusman890
01-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Congrats to Andy for winning

Congrats to Federer for making the final after not playing since November.

GL in AO :)

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't know why many fans are using Roger S&V as a excuse to his loose??

In fact after 4-2 in the 2nd set , Roger lost 5 points on his serve(love game to 5-2, love game to take a set, then two more love games, game to -15 and, then he lost 4 points being broken) which is shocking stat, and Roddick was like three times in row 15-40 ). It worked extremly well, and Roddick wasn't comfortable with it, it was better idea then to battle from the baseline(Roddick shots seemed to have more power and BH was pretty consistent)

I am not saying that in will change something , but It would give Huge confidence boost for Andy (no matter that it is not real match) , it won't affect Federer, but it will affect Andy that's for sure, I can see his chances to reach SF much better.

And to all those Federer fans and Nadal haters who had been jumping from joy after Roger beat Rafa in expo , now saying how expos are not important.

TIME FOR ANDY TO ROCK IN THE AO :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music:

pascal'rG
01-13-2007, 01:29 PM
ok so federer give the explanation, it seems he didn't want to have his normal play disturbed by the huge wind there was.
So he decides to train for the S&V...

It seems to me that it's more scary for roddick to have lost one set :rolleyes: but ok maybe it can gave him some confidence for the AO and anything that can give some suspens is welcome ;)

tennis2tennis
01-13-2007, 01:38 PM

In fact after 4-2 in the 2nd set , Roger lost 5 points on his serve(love game to 5-2, love game to take a set, then two more love games, game to -15 and, then he lost 4 points being broken) which is shocking stat, and Roddick was like three times in row 15-40 ). It worked extremly well, and Roddick wasn't comfortable with it, it was better idea then to battle from the baseline(Roddick shots seemed to have more power and BH was pretty consistent)

I am not saying that in will change something , but It would give Huge confidence boost for Andy (no matter that it is not real match) , it won't affect Federer, but it will affect Andy that's for sure, I can see his chances to reach SF much better.

And to all those Federer fans and Nadal haters who had been jumping from joy after Roger beat Rafa in expo , now saying how expos are not important.

TIME FOR ANDY TO ROCK IN THE AO :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music: :music:
why do you put FED FANS AND NADAL HATERS in the same qoute I know most Fed fans are also nadal fans

tennis2tennis
01-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Roddick fired 9 ACEs and 26 unretuned serve(in this expo) and Roger said that he had served better when they praticed in Melbourne Park

I believe Federer why would he lie? He can't andy would dispute him

Miss Croft
01-13-2007, 01:48 PM
why do you put FED FANS AND NADAL HATERS in the same qoute I know most Fed fans are also nadal fans

i never came across any.

anyways, congrats to roddick :worship:

Hola Mr. SK
01-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Andy will rip Fed a new one in AO.:)

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 01:49 PM

OK you got point here, I was only refering to some players who Liked Federer or/and hate Nadal have been so happy after Expo in Asia, saying that Roger figured out Rafa etc , and now they give 0% of credit to Andy.

Sorry for generalisation :angel:

Andy 1st serve % was low, and he admited it in the interview, so we can expect even Better serving Andy in AO, which is good news :worship:

Adler
01-13-2007, 01:49 PM
congrats also for Voo de Mar for the coupon ;)

Kalliopeia
01-13-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't put a whole lot of stock in exhibition matches, and I am sure things will be different in a real tournament. But I have to say it kills me how everyone's coming out of the woodwork proclaiming that Federer tanked, or was just practicing, really, or is conserving energy. Let's not even mention the ones who are saying "B-but...it doesn't matter, it won't be counted in their head-to-head!"

:rolls:

This place does make me laugh. :)

gillian
01-13-2007, 01:52 PM
I saw this coming. Exo or not, I think Andy will take a lot from this win.

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't put a whole lot of stock in exhibition matches, and I am sure things will be different in a real tournament. But I have to say it kills me how everyone's coming out of the woodwork proclaiming that Federer tanked, or was just practicing, really, or is conserving energy. Let's not even mention the ones who are saying "B-but...it doesn't matter, it won't be counted in their head-to-head!"

:rolls:

This place does make me laugh. :)

Good point :worship: :worship: :worship:

I feel the same way

Pea
01-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I can just imagine how many times this will be brought up by pamc during ESPN's coverage of the Australian Open.:rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
01-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Well done, Andy! :hatoff:

And yes, it's only an exho, but still - credits to the player that deserves them. I hope this will be a great boost for Andy's confidence.

As for Rogi... I can't imagine him being worried about this loss in any way. :angel:

Mobes
01-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Bcos i'm lazy i'm gonna repost what ive written in another very good tennis forum...

This is a lot more than a "practice match", especially for Roddick...like it or not (offically or not) Andy has just beaten a guy he hasnt beaten since '03...and just ahead of a GS there's no way Federer would have wanted to have lost to a guy who hasn't beaten HIM since '03..

Of course a GS and 5 sets are different but i doubt very much if either guy would have played differently if it had been the final of Sydney or any other warm up event... I remember just B4 the first Hingis Capriati AO final and they commentators pretty much dismissed the fact that Jennifer had only JUST beeaten Hingis albeit it in an Exhibiton match...So what?! a win is a win...and tennis is just as much about confidence in your play as anything else...

This wasn't a one off exhibition match that took place in the middle of the street in down town NY...this was part of a tournament...it shouldn't be hyped out of all reality but neither should it be dismissed...

as far as Andy goes i think mentally a breakthrough like this is big for him....

i'm not saying Fed will be devestated by this loss but i'm damn sure he would rather have slapped Roddick down again...

Joyce_23
01-13-2007, 02:28 PM
I go away for one night and the first sign of the end of the world is here. :lol: Great result for Andy, this should boost his confidence. An exhibition is an exhibition though. *shrug*

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Bcos i'm lazy i'm gonna repost what ive written in another very good tennis forum...

This is a lot more than a "practice match", especially for Roddick...like it or not (offically or not) Andy has just beaten a guy he hasnt beaten since '03...and just ahead of a GS there's no way Federer would have wanted to have lost to a guy who hasn't beaten HIM since '03..

Of course a GS and 5 sets are different but i doubt very much if either guy would have played differently if it had been the final of Sydney or any other warm up event... I remember just B4 the first Hingis Capriati AO final and they commentators pretty much dismissed the fact that Jennifer had only JUST beeaten Hingis albeit it in an Exhibiton match...So what?! a win is a win...and tennis is just as much about confidence in your play as anything else...

This wasn't a one off exhibition match that took place in the middle of the street in down town NY...this was part of a tournament...it shouldn't be hyped out of all reality but neither should it be dismissed...

as far as Andy goes i think mentally a breakthrough like this is big for him....

i'm not saying Fed will be devestated by this loss but i'm damn sure he would rather have slapped Roddick down again...

another very reasonable and great comment :worship: :worship:

It is exactly what I think, It is Huge For Andy's confidence, but it doesn't affect Roger at all

Fumus
01-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeaaaa!!! I don't believe it!!

guga2120
01-13-2007, 02:44 PM
it doesn't matter if your playing Federer in practice, beating him is an accomplishment, Well done Andy, :) .

RogiFan88
01-13-2007, 02:46 PM

you mean Seoul?

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Are people :retard: ? Exhos are worth nothing.

Clara Bow
01-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Wow- Sports Center- which rarely mentions tennis outside of the Grad Slams- and even then not that much- just had a brief snippet on the match. (They did clarify that it was an exhibition....)

Bilbo
01-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Smart tactics by Federer if you know what I mean

heya
01-13-2007, 02:53 PM
The non-cheater practically roared with laughter after beating Nadal.

Mobes
01-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Are people :retard: ? Exhos are worth nothing.So Federer thought, "It may be my only warm up before this years first GS. I can't really be arsed to try here...i'll let Andy win 6-3 in the third." ?

By saying it's worthless then ALL tournaments just before GS's are worthless, no?

Ask Andy Roddick if it was worthless...he may give you a different answer...ask Federer if he would have liked to win the match and he would say yes, surley?

cobalt60
01-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Sounds like Fed was practising a different strategy. Either way glad that it was a good match. And I bet they will both take the positives from it :yeah:

cobalt60
01-13-2007, 02:58 PM
The non-cheater practically roared with laughter after beating Nadal.

Welcome back Heya :hug:

Bilbo
01-13-2007, 02:58 PM
this was a best-of-3 match. a best-of-5 match would favor federer anyway.

Gulliver
01-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Ever thought the outcome would have been different if it did count? ;)

:yeah:

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 03:12 PM

Calm down, calm down!

I agree it will be good for roddick's confidence, but I also think he is the first to know what the match was about... trying a few things. a-rod is far from being stupid and he also noticed, like everyone here, that fed was almost only S&Ving on 1st and 2nd serves. You can be sure he knows fed was not playing his usual game. That being said, we must also take into account that roddick wasn't playing the kind of game he played against fed in shangai (S&V) when he troubled him. Probably to not give fed the opportunity to get ready with an appropriate answer if they meet in the ausopen. Moreover, it is also noteworthy that roddick didn't serve as he normally does.

So to conclude, we can say that both of them were not playing the kind of game they will play next time they meet (ausopen semis or elswhere) and that this result won't tell us much on what it would've been like in an official ATP match!!!

Mobes
01-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Hello FSRteam...i was perfectly calm before, during and after writing this :)

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 03:17 PM
it doesn't matter if your playing Federer in practice, beating him is an accomplishment, Well done Andy, :) .

Well, then many players can be proud of such an accomplishment, believe me!

fed is quite often beaten in pratice sets. I remember he mentionned that youhzny beats him almost all of the times. I saw stan beating him and I know many others do.

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 03:17 PM
you mean Seoul?

I mean seoul, pardon me! :)

FSRteam
01-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Hello FSRteam...i was perfectly calm before, during and after writing this :)

Sorry, I thought you pissed with all the fedtards saying fed was tanking the match!

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 03:21 PM
So Federer thought, "It may be my only warm up before this years first GS. I can't really be arsed to try here...i'll let Andy win 6-3 in the third." ?

By saying it's worthless then ALL tournaments just before GS's are worthless, no?

Ask Andy Roddick if it was worthless...he may give you a different answer...ask Federer if he would have liked to win the match and he would say yes, surley?

You are all delusional. Roddick can have 1000 wins on exhos against Federer and will never beat him in a valid match. No weapons to defeat Federer.

Federer is playing those tournaments just for the money, don't think he gives a damn. He lost to Haas last year in Kooyong and Haas is another guy that has no chance against him.

betterthanhenman
01-13-2007, 03:23 PM

You are all delusional. Roddick can have 1000 wins on exhos against Federer and will never beat him in a valid match. No weapons to defeat Federer.

Federer is playing those tournaments just for the money, don't think he gives a damn. He lost to Haas last year in Kooyong and Haas is another guy that has no chance against him.

His serve?

Mobes
01-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Sorry, I thought you pissed with all the fedtards saying fed was tanking the match!

No :) I must say its quite an experience posting on here with all the Fed AND Nadal tards...i post on a board where there are very fierce Nadal and Federer fans and we pretty much respect each other no matter what... MTF is...interesting... ;)

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 03:26 PM
His serve?

:haha:

Yeah right. Federer just toys with his serve...

heya
01-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Feder:
2004 - "I had no problem (winning)." After all, the opponent flew to Thailand after playing 3 Davis Cup matches, hardly sleeping, injuring an elbow....and only cared about honoring his mother's charity event demands.

2006 - "I didn't need to win this Masters Cup match"
"Roddick was perfect for 2 sets. It's a surprise from the baseline."
January 2007 - "The serve was so big. The wind was so huge to me.
He improved, the last 6 months."

Sure... opponents are sweating blood and bowing down with smiles like James Blakes'. LMAO

star
01-13-2007, 03:32 PM
The match ws more important for andy than gor Federer. As Andy sad, beating Federer here is basically meaningless. It's an exhiition. More competitive than most, but still an exibition.

I just want Andy to feel good about his game. If this helps, I'm all for it.

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 03:33 PM
How delusional.

Mobes
01-13-2007, 03:35 PM
How delusional.

:rolleyes:

cmurray
01-13-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't think it hurts Roger as much as it helps Andy. Does that make sense? Trust me, Roger isn't going into the AO thinking "Oh NO! Now Roddick can beat me!" Nope. He still thinks that when it counts, he's going to find another gear and take it to Roddick. Which, to be honest is what he always does. I'd say this doesn't even so much as dent Federer's confidence (and it shouldn't).

But Roddick...well, maybe it gives him a little hope. Between this match and the fact that he SHOULD have beaten Roger at TMC, maybe he's thinking "hey...I'm getting closer and maybe next time when it counts, I'll get him...." It can't hurt to have confidence going into a match, which is a problem Andy's had when going into matches with the fed-man.

No, this match doesn't mean anything...except to Andy. We shall see what kind of impact it makes, I suppose.

Sunset of Age
01-13-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't think it hurts Roger as much as it helps Andy. Does that make sense? Trust me, Roger isn't going into the AO thinking "Oh NO! Now Roddick can beat me!" Nope. He still thinks that when it counts, he's going to find another gear and take it to Roddick. Which, to be honest is what he always does. I'd say this doesn't even so much as dent Federer's confidence (and it shouldn't).

But Roddick...well, maybe it gives him a little hope. Between this match and the fact that he SHOULD have beaten Roger at TMC, maybe he's thinking "hey...I'm getting closer and maybe next time when it counts, I'll get him...." It can't hurt to have confidence going into a match, which is a problem Andy's had when going into matches with the fed-man.

No, this match doesn't mean anything...except to Andy. We shall see what kind of impact it makes, I suppose.

My feelings exactly.

gusman890
andy beating Roger in anything is a big deal for his confidence.

He is going to walk into AO with another spring in his step like he had after winning cincy last year.

Federer, just like with the haas loss last year, will deff. rebound and become the dominate person he was last year.

but more or less, its good for Andy to beat him, even if it was unoffical.

GlennMirnyi
:rolleyes:

Does 12-1 say something to you? :lol:

sykotique
01-13-2007, 03:51 PM

GlennMirnyi, I don't think that this match changes anything and I'm pretty sure that Federer will continue to increase his head-to-head against Roddick, but to say, quite bluntly, that Roddick "has no weapons" is bit off-base.

Let's face it. Federer is more talented than Andy. By a country mile. But tennis players are human beings and human beings make mistakes. At the TMC, Andy Roddick was a first serve, an ace away from victory. Federer has and will ALWAYS have the edge against Andy, whether it be best of 3 sets or best of 5 sets, Grand Slam or Masters Series, but Roddick is not sitting idly by. He's obviously been doing some work doing the offseason.

The reason that I disregard this match is not just because it is an exhibition - I disregard because Federer played a completely different style from that which he usually plays. I don't know if that qualifies as 'tanking' or not, but if Federer had honestly cared about winning this match at all, he could have easily reverted back to his all-court game, which brings him tons more success. Somewhere during this match, Federer decided that practising his serve-and-volley was more important than winning. No one knows why, but maybe we'll see in the future.

Federer is still the Australian Open favourite and should win it in a walk, but Roddick has established himself as a contender. I assure you that whatever Federer's reason for practising serve-and-volley in this match, it was not merely to 'tank' it away and I doubt he's taking it as lightly as you are. I believe both Andy and Roger will take home tapes of this match and I figure they will study them and try not to be deceived by the smoke and mirrors, but rather look at what their opponent was trying to achieve.

heya
01-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Spadea's 6-0 win = legendary

Mirnyi, Hrbaty, Agassi, Ljubicic, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Henman, Phau
= these classy heroes make you shake at night.

cobalt60
01-13-2007, 03:53 PM

Makes perfect sense:)

jcempire
01-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Andy pretty much close to beat Roger at 3 set match. I pretty sure with that

But only in 3 set Match, not in best 5

Of course, He got a lot of confidence after Two meeting including Last TMC.

We have to see what's going to happen in next their meeting

heya
01-13-2007, 04:07 PM
If he cared so much, he wouldn't be physically unfit and telling lies.

I doubt these interviews will lead to a positive future:

Since 2001, "I placed non-tennis events above tennis on my list." (poker, dating, auctions, charity, chatting with kids)

"Why should I mind losing 8 more finals?"

His so-called coach brother brought him matcbes, but he refused to watch most of them.

morningglory
01-13-2007, 04:09 PM
:bounce: :nerner: hey, at least if not for anything (since it's exo) At least we get to gloat, and that's fine enough :lol:

Mobes
01-13-2007, 04:25 PM

:worship: Yup!

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Spadea's 6-0 win = legendary

Mirnyi, Hrbaty, Agassi, Ljubicic, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Henman, Phau
= these classy heroes make you shake at night.

12-1
12-1
12-1
12-1
12-1

Keep cheering.

tangerine_dream
01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
True. Remember how they actually revived the Piggy roasting thread when Roger beat Nadal at the Seoul exo? I thought that was used only for real matches? :lol: And then threads like "Federer has worked out Nadal" came along and whatnot. They got pretty crazy about an exo. :)

But we know now, according to them, hypercompetitive champions like Roger only lose when he wants to lose. :cool:

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 04:35 PM
True. Remember how they actually revived the Piggy roasting thread when Roger beat Nadal at the Seoul exo? I thought that was used only for real matches? :lol: And then threads like "Federer has worked out Nadal" came along and whatnot. They got pretty crazy about an exo. :)

But we know now, according to them, hypercompetitive champions like Roger only lose when he wants to lose. :cool:

exactly, Federer lost to Nadal in FO last year because he didn't want to win , or even better in Rome be broke Nadal and was 4-2 up and then get bored with everything so he gave the match away. :angel:
In Dubai because he wanted the tournament organisers to give him more money for coming next year :angel:

Not to mention Murray in Cincy, he felt sorry for young guy that his coach is Brad Gilbert so gave him some happiness in life :angel:

MissMoJo
01-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Wow- Sports Center- which rarely mentions tennis outside of the Grad Slams- and even then not that much- just had a brief snippet on the match. (They did clarify that it was an exhibition....)

RickDaStick
01-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Credit to serious Roddick fans who arent taking this win too seriously unlike the bandwagoners like the whoremaster.

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Credit to serious Roddick fans who arent taking this win too seriously unlike the bandwagoners like the whoremaster.

If there is one under this condition he/she's not posting here.

Yappa
01-13-2007, 04:41 PM
GlennMirnyi, I don't think that this match changes anything and I'm pretty sure that Federer will continue to increase his head-to-head against Roddick, but to say, quite bluntly, that Roddick "has no weapons" is bit off-base.

Let's face it. Federer is more talented than Andy. By a country mile. But tennis players are human beings and human beings make mistakes. At the TMC, Andy Roddick was a first serve, an ace away from victory. Federer has and will ALWAYS have the edge against Andy, whether it be best of 3 sets or best of 5 sets, Grand Slam or Masters Series, but Roddick is not sitting idly by. He's obviously been doing some work doing the offseason.

The reason that I disregard this match is not just because it is an exhibition - I disregard because Federer played a completely different style from that which he usually plays. I don't know if that qualifies as 'tanking' or not, but if Federer had honestly cared about winning this match at all, he could have easily reverted back to his all-court game, which brings him tons more success. Somewhere during this match, Federer decided that practising his serve-and-volley was more important than winning. No one knows why, but maybe we'll see in the future.

Federer is still the Australian Open favourite and should win it in a walk, but Roddick has established himself as a contender. I assure you that whatever Federer's reason for practising serve-and-volley in this match, it was not merely to 'tank' it away and I doubt he's taking it as lightly as you are. I believe both Andy and Roger will take home tapes of this match and I figure they will study them and try not to be deceived by the smoke and mirrors, but rather look at what their opponent was trying to achieve.

I nominate you as the best MTF newbie in January. Your posts are really interesting to read. :yeah:

nobama
01-13-2007, 04:43 PM

But we know now, according to them, hypercompetitive champions like Roger only lose when he wants to lose. :cool:Did you actually view the Fed forum after that exo? Wasn't talked about or cared about much. You can't go by the nonsense that is GM.

surfpinky
01-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Did you actually view the Fed forum after that exo? Wasn't talked about or cared about much. You can't go by the nonsense that is GM.

did you view the andy forum? we are not gloating d:.
the match is important because, yeah, after someone beats you multiple times in a row and you finally beat him in a competitive match, then yeah, it's going to help you with your confidence.

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 04:58 PM

You only way is to insult yeah?? you can't speak in other way ?? That's shame. I feel sorry for you.
Your level of writing is below the intelligent person level, and what's more you can't read would you read what I wrote in this topic you would understand that I happy because Andy win but I am not jumping from joy I said that I will benefit Andy confidence but I won't make any influence on Roger.

RickDaStick
01-13-2007, 05:04 PM
You only way is to insult yeah?? you can't speak in other way ?? That's shame. I feel sorry for you.
Your level of writing is below the intelligent person level, and what's more you can't read would you read what I wrote in this topic you would understand that I happy because Andy win but I am not jumping from joy I said that I will benefit Andy confidence but I won't make any influence on Roger.

Loremaster : Go To Scholl Davydenko , It Would Be Better Benefit Than Playing Tennis

Come Again?

Mobes
01-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Does 12-1 say something to you? :lol:

Yup, it says Federer is a better player than Andy...do you actually have a point relating to the thread?

At no point did i say otherwise...

This win is a good thing for Andy...it helps him to believe, along with the US Open Final and Shanghai, that he is a little more willing and able to take on Federer...believeing it and doing it are of course two very different things...

It's not always about the numbers...

silverarrows
01-13-2007, 05:25 PM

"but if Federer had honestly cared about winning this match at all, he could have easily reverted back to his all-court game, which brings him tons more success."

^^^ exactly my point. Very well said! :yeah: :wavey:

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I won't discuss with you at all, for me it is waste of time , you're classless, ignorant person. If you think that being rude is good, that's your problem.
Everyone will tell you that intelligent person do not insult other persons because they have other point or view or because don't like them. I feel sorry for your parents that brought up and raised such person as you.

And it is not because you are Ljubo fan, not because I don't like you (I simply don't care about you ) but because you are rude and with zero % of any positive behaviour. Go Back to your playground there you will find some appropriate company on your intelectual level and and Return to your friends from street so you can can talk to them in such language

RickDaStick
01-13-2007, 05:34 PM
I won't discuss with you at all, for me it is waste of time , you're classless, ignorant person. If you think that being rude is good, that's your problem.
Everyone will tell you that intelligent person do not insult other persons because they have other point or view or because don't like them. I feel sorry for your parents that brought up and raised such person as you.

And it is not because you are Ljubo fan, not because I don't like you (I simply don't care about you ) but because you are rude and with zero % of any positive behaviour. Go Back to your playground there you will find some appropriate company on your intelectual level and and Return to your friends from street so you can can talk to them in such language

Coming from a person who bashes/insults Ivan every chance you get. Also one more thing, you really shouldnt take these internet forums so seriously.

sykotique
01-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I nominate you as the best MTF newbie in January. Your posts are really interesting to read. :yeah:

Thanks, I try my best. I love this game!

england_rules
01-13-2007, 05:46 PM
I wish Federer wouldn't of s&v on every point because now with this win for Roddick, even though it's an exhibition, will give Patrick McEnroe something to hype up. Can I just say, Roddick will not beat Federer at the Australian Open. Fed will beat him in probably 4 sets if Roddick even gets there!

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Coming from a person who bashes/insults Ivan every chance you get. Also one more thing, you really shouldnt take these internet forums so seriously.

I don't take it seriously , I can bash Ivan I don't insult him. You are insulting person who you don't know only because that person has other opinions on some subjects then you. It is rude

And you are Bashing/insulting Rafa all the time, even your avatar is somehow making fun of someones pain and bad luck. And even so I do not insult you because of that

DrJules
01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Biggest difference between tournament play and exhibition matches is mental toughness. Mental strength and character is the main advantage Federer has over Roddick. Would Roddick save as many break points in a grand slam?

RickDaStick
01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
I don't take it seriously , I can bash Ivan I don't insult him. You are insulting person who you don't know only because that person has other opinions on some subjects then you. It is rude

And you are Bashing/insulting Rafa all the time, even your avatar is somehow making fun of someones pain and bad luck. And even so I do not insult you because of that

Ok fair enough but you have to realize this is an internet forum and absolutely nothing should be taken seriously.

radics
01-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Congrats to Andy. :hatoff:

I don't want to take anything away from Andy, but I think Roger didn't really care much about the vicotry (the way he played).

Eden
01-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Congrats to Andy for defending his title :yeah: I'm pretty sure that both players know each other good enough to judge the performance of the other. Reading all comments about the match both seemed to have fun on the court and enjoyed playing each other :) Time will tell what Andy takes with him from this match and when we will see Roger playing his S&V-style of game again.

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Don't try to hide after this, If to take your logic one can say that it's TV or newspaper so do not treat it seriously.

I can understand that by replying with post wih Davydenko was funny (it indeed was even for me , my mistake was unfortune and even I found this mistake funny ) , but insluting is not funny ever, no matter if it is on TV , in newspaper in web forum or in person. I can understand once, but If one insult someone four times in week there is something wrong

RickDaStick
01-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Don't try to hide after this, If to take your logic one can say that it's TV or newspaper so do not treat it seriously.

I can understand that by replying with post wih Davydenko was funny (it indeed was even for me , my mistake was unfortune and even I found this mistake funny ) , but insluting is not funny ever, no matter if it is on TV , in newspaper in web forum or in person. I can understand once, but If one insult someone four times in week there is something wrong

Please leave me alone Dr.Phil. Thanks!

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Please leave me alone Dr.Phil. Thanks!

If you insist so :devil:

Allez
01-13-2007, 06:15 PM
LOL Allez is one of the weirdest Federer fan's on MTF he/she always seems pessimistic about Roger's chances. I wonder if Allez isn't a undercover Roddick/Nadal fan.

Lol me a Nadal/Roddick fan ? Where did you dream that up :eek: ;) I'm being realistic that's all. People like Roddick have a target to aim for. Rogi has only himself and it's pretty hard to remain focused and motivated when there's no one ahead of you. I just hope Roger doesn't get complacent. Looks like Roddick's back in the mix, as is Marat and Nadal will no doubt want to put some "pression" on Rogi. Don't even get me started on all the young guns who are even now marching towards the top ten. Things are going to be a little rocky at the top that's for sure.

Don't let the fact that this is an "exhibition" tournament fool you. The players take it seriously enough to skip all the other ATP tourneys on the go at the moment. This win will do Andy the world of good and I wouldn't like to bet who will win their clash in two weeks should they both make it to that meeting. Fed should not have given Andy that psychological edge. It almost cost him last year against Haas.:mad:

I listened to Connors' commentary @ Wimbledon last year and he was a little vexed at Andy and the other guys for being so nice to Fed. He seemed to so eager to help someone, anyone derail the Fed express and now it seems his efforts may start paying off.

Perhaps the fact that I do not sugarcoat anything gives off the impression of being a pessimistic Rogi fan or worse, an undercover Rodal fan when nothing could be further from the truth :D

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Yup, it says Federer is a better player than Andy...do you actually have a point relating to the thread?

At no point did i say otherwise...

This win is a good thing for Andy...it helps him to believe, along with the US Open Final and Shanghai, that he is a little more willing and able to take on Federer...believeing it and doing it are of course two very different things...

It's not always about the numbers...

Numbers are impossible to refute. That means Roger is BY FAR the best player.

Yeah. Go to Scholl Davydenko... :lol:

Hey, you always talk nonsense here and shows 100% fanboyishness in all yours posts. You don't have much to back up any point you make on tennis and still claims other people as classless and ignorant. Time to check your concepts.

There isn't any rules against his avatar. Get one too about Ljubicic if you want to. :p

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Lol me a Nadal/Roddick fan ? Where did you dream that up :eek: ;) I'm being realistic that's all. People like Roddick have a target to aim for. Rogi has only himself and it's pretty hard to remain focused and motivated when there's no one ahead of you. I just hope Roger doesn't get complacent. Looks like Roddick's back in the mix, as is Marat and Nadal will no doubt want to put some "pression" on Rogi. Don't even get me started on all the young guns who are even now marching towards the top ten. Things are going to be a little rocky at the top that's for sure.

Don't let the fact that this is an "exhibition" tournament fool you. The players take it seriously enough to skip all the other ATP tourneys on the go at the moment. This win will do Andy the world of good and I wouldn't like to bet who will win their clash in two weeks should they both make it to that meeting. Fed should not have given Andy that psychological edge. It almost cost him last year against Haas.:mad:

I listened to Connors' commentary @ Wimbledon last year and he was a little vexed at Andy and the other guys for being so nice to Fed. He seemed to so eager to help someone, anyone derail the Fed express and now it seems his efforts may start paying off.

Perhaps the fact that I do not sugarcoat anything gives off the impression of being a pessimistic Rogi fan or worse, an undercover Rodal fan when nothing could be further from the truth :D

Delusional. Nobody takes exhos seriously. Probably not even Roddick.

Ok, Ducktards do.

Allez
01-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Well said :worship: :worship: :worship: I totally agree. Rogi would have loved nothing more than to double bagel Roddick, especially going into a major tournament next week. As it is, Roddick will have the momentum. :mad:

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Momentum for what? Oh my, GM is reaching amazing new heights of nonsense.

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 06:25 PM

Yeah. Go to Scholl Davydenko... :lol:

Hey, you always talk nonsense here and shows 100% fanboyishness in all yours posts. You don't have much to back up any point you make on tennis and still claims other people as classless and ignorant. Time to check your concepts.

There isn't any rules against his avatar. Get one too about Ljubicic if you want to. :p

I don't discuss with you it's waste of time, Think what you want I don't care about it.

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't discuss with you it's waste of time, Think what you want I don't care about it.

Go to Scholl Davydenko...

GonzoFed
01-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Spot on post. And It is embarrasing for serious Roger's fans reading some pathetic posts of "Roger's fans" about his chances to win the AO being in danger due to a meaningless exho tournament. Typically insecure bandwagonish behaviour of people who don't have a clue about tennis.

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Go To Your Playground GlennMirnyi

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Go To Your Playground GlennMirnyi

And you go to SCHOLL fanboy.

cmurray
01-13-2007, 06:35 PM

You heard it here first, folks. Numbers are impossible to refute. Undisputable proof that Rafael Nadal is a better tennis player than Roger Federer. Thanks for clearing that up for us, Glenn. :angel:

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Spot on post. And It is embarrasing for serious Roger's fans reading some pathetic posts of "Roger's fans" about his chances to win the AO being in danger due to a meaningless exho tournament. Typically insecure bandwagonish behaviour of people who don't have a clue about tennis.

Thanks mate. Sense isn't something seldom see around here.

the answer
01-13-2007, 06:37 PM

Yeah, tell me about it. It seems like Kooyong has becomes the equivalent of a Grand Slam now that Federer has lost to Roddick.
Some Roddick fans/ Fed bashers are so desperate to see Federer lose that they are using an exhibition to fill the hole in their lives.
I feel bad for them.

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 06:38 PM
You heard it here first, folks. Numbers are impossible to refute. Undisputable proof that Rafael Nadal is a better tennis player than Roger Federer. Thanks for clearing that up for us, Glenn. :angel:

So he has 10 GS? No?

Sorry, too much for moonballing.

Howard
01-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Given the choice between winning and losing, especially against someone you could meet in major final or semifinal, every player would rather win no matter what the circumstances. However, the "rivalry" (such as it is) between Fed and Roddick just isn't close enough for this to matter very much, not to Fed anyway. Now if it had been Nadal...

LLeytonRules
01-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Someone mentioned Roger doing serve and volley to have a long career?The guy will have a long career barring injury!!!!He doesnt need to serve and volley, he always shorten points during baseline rallies.The guy's forehand will always be there, he might lose some foot speed but he will always find something new.Believe me, the serve and volley is something he wants to do but not because he wants a long career, he will have that barring injury, he is not a grinder!!!

nobama
01-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Well said :worship: :worship: :worship: I totally agree. Rogi would have loved nothing more than to double bagel Roddick, especially going into a major tournament next week. As it is, Roddick will have the momentum. :mad:You're funny. So what, all Roger fans should be scared of his AO chances now because he lost to Andy in an exo? :haha:

cmurray
01-13-2007, 06:43 PM
So he has 10 GS? No?

Sorry, too much for moonballing.

:haha: OMG, you kill me. :haha:

Conita
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
even though is only an exo it will hopefully help roddick's confidence in some way or another

Loremaster
01-13-2007, 06:49 PM
And you go to SCHOLL fanboy.

WRONG I AM ON UNIVERSITY NOW :rolleyes: so I can't go to shooll, but you can go play with some children in playground, maybe parents will buy you scholl shoes if you want them so badly