Murray Beats Safin 7-6 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray Beats Safin 7-6 6-2

bigbhoy
01-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Straight sets win 7-6 6-2.

First set lasted just under 1 hr. Second went in around 30mins or so.

TMJordan
01-13-2007, 03:41 AM
Marat told me he tanked the match.

scoobs
01-13-2007, 03:42 AM
I think Safin threw in the towel mentally midway through the second set, a break down and fed up with the blustery conditions.

But until then it was a pretty hard fought contest with some excellent shotmaking on both sides, as the conditions allowed.

The only thing to read into this one is that it's nicer to be the winner, and Murray seemed hungrier to win the match - in the end that told and he handled the trickier conditions a bit better.

Metis
01-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Marat refused to shake the umpire's hand. :lol:

RickDaStick
01-13-2007, 03:45 AM
Well the umpired overruled on match point to give murray the win on a ball that looked to be in.

bigbhoy
At least there was no rackets smashed this time, which is always a good sign. :angel:

scoobs
was a dubious overrule by the umpire on match point - and a bit assertive for an exhibition event perhaps. Marat thought so - he made that very clear.

player2k0
01-13-2007, 03:47 AM
people that think murray outsmarts his opponents got outsmarted by murray.

Shabbabrain
01-13-2007, 03:48 AM
Well played Andy, even if its only an exhibition match:)

player2k0
01-13-2007, 03:49 AM
was a dubious overrule by the umpire on match point - and a bit assertive for an exhibition event perhaps. Marat thought so - he made that very clear.

that ball was clearly on the line. well who expects fair play from murray anyway.

scoobs
01-13-2007, 03:49 AM
it's not Murray's job to call the line.

Eddster
01-13-2007, 04:00 AM
well said scoobs, watching the match, when safin was playing well it looked like Murray could live with safin etc now and some absolutely insane returns of serve. Looks good for Murray for this year and beyond.

Shrinking Violet
01-13-2007, 04:00 AM
Wow - Andy won and there's people bitching about it. That's a surprise. :lol:

Well played for an exhibition. The umpire shouldn't have over-ruled the call there. It's not like it was a winner from Marat and Andy was there to get the ball in play anyway so I doubt anyone would have complained if the point had continued.

Well done Andy anyway.

scoobs
01-13-2007, 04:03 AM
I'm not sure why Murray polarises opinion so much - yeah he can be a moody shit on court sometimes but he ain't the first and won't be the last.

player2k0
01-13-2007, 04:04 AM

i didnt say that, i was talkin bout fair play.

scoobs
01-13-2007, 04:06 AM
i didnt say that, i was talkin bout fair play.
says a lot though that you assume Murray saw the ball on the line and said nothing...maybe he saw it out - or didn't get a good look?

but no, let's assume he played the "win at all costs" card.

Shrinking Violet
01-13-2007, 04:09 AM
says a lot though that you assume Murray saw the ball on the line and said nothing...maybe he saw it out - or didn't get a good look?

but no, let's assume he played the "win at all costs" card.

Especially as he had two MP's, it was an exhibition, and he was there in plenty time to play the ball - in fact he did play the ball over the net. Clearly the evil bastard deliberately allowed the umpire to make a mistake because it was his only chance to win. :rolleyes:

ys
01-13-2007, 04:24 AM
No need for Marat to try to win it after the first set is gone.. he might have to play a GS match in just two days..

*Viva Chile*
01-13-2007, 04:32 AM
it's already a thread to talk about it, admins please merge the two ones. ;)

Magical Trevor
01-13-2007, 05:06 AM
Actually, I think Murray ask him "do you want to keep going?" or something like that when Marat was complaining after the match.

And John Fitzgerald who was commentating, mentioned that both players seemed to agree the ball was good.

I dno, maybe after shaking hands and putting a couple of rackets away, Marat wasn't bothered playing anymore.

chicky841
01-13-2007, 05:14 AM
just an exhibition, no use getting worked up over a bad call

R.Federer
01-13-2007, 06:39 AM
Good day for the andys!

Deea
01-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Marat :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know this was just an exhibition but...:shrug: Oh well, I guess it's better to save the energy for the AO! ;)

Allez
01-13-2007, 08:46 AM
I hope Murray has not peaked too early...

vamosnadal
01-13-2007, 11:48 AM
In his interview after the match Safin said that Murray had agreed the ball was in and said they should just carry on. Definitely not a case of unfair play from Murray.

Horatio Caine
01-13-2007, 12:02 PM

Yep. Would Safin have called the line if he were in Murray's shoes?

Reminds me a little of the Nalby vs Henman saga in Madrid last year...would Nalby have called Henman a 1st serve there? I don't think so :rolleyes:

jazar
01-13-2007, 12:09 PM
could safin actually be bothered? cos i would have thought these 2 would have had a much closer match

Dashers
01-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Wow - Andy won and there's people bitching about it. That's a surprise. :lol:

Couldn't agree more! It's getting pretty boring.

decrepitude
01-13-2007, 02:38 PM
In his interview after the match Safin said that Murray had agreed the ball was in and said they should just carry on. Definitely not a case of unfair play from Murray.

Yes, I read that interview too. Murray offered to carry on playing - Marat himself says so. No matter what poor Murray does somebody on here will attack him for something he didn't do.

He may argue with umpires (and he is hardly alone in that) but he does not cheat.

But then whenever did GM stick to facts?:scratch:

bigbhoy
01-13-2007, 06:09 PM
that ball was clearly on the line. well who expects fair play from murray anyway.

Right at the end after Murray shook hands with the umpire, Safin started having a go at him (Which if it was in, then I'm sure he was right to), Murray looked up & said "Do you want to keep playing". Safin looked up also & couldn't see or hear what the umpire said because the camera was on the 2 players. However it was obviously a big no, because they packed up & left a few secs later.

Again though, no matter what he does. Some people here will always try & find a way to put any good win down. :p

cmurray
01-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Um....

repeat after me.

"This is an exhibition."

Again.

"This is an exhibition."

Okay. Are you trying to tell me really honestly that we are arguing over a line call in an exhibition match? Boy.....we REALLY need the AO to start, don't we? :)

mer
01-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Okay. Are you trying to tell me really honestly that we are arguing over a line call in an exhibition match? Boy.....we REALLY need the AO to start, don't we? :)
The funny thing is that only ONE poster said about unfair play (and he/she was apparently wrong) No one else said anything bad about Andy. It's not even like the real argument is going on.

cmurray
01-13-2007, 06:56 PM
The funny thing is that only ONE poster said about unfair play (and he/she was apparently wrong) No one else said anything bad about Andy. It's not even like the real argument is going on.

Fair enough. Let's just say there is quite a bit of DISCUSSION about exactly what Andy saw.

Agassi Aces
01-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Great win for Murray, he has just lost to Ljubicic and Roddick this year which is not bad at all considering both are in top form...... keep it up Andy!!!!!!