Why is the seventh game of a set considered so important? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why is the seventh game of a set considered so important?

Sean.J.S.
01-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Commentators often say how important the seventh game of a set is but I have never heard them say why?

Does anybody know why the seventh game of a set is considered the most important?

Thanks.

jayjay
01-13-2007, 02:10 AM
Often it seems players get broken in the 7th game of tight sets, whether this is actually statistically the case or not, I don't know. But the perception is that it is, so commentators keep churning it out.

gomarray
01-13-2007, 02:30 AM
In the first set of a match it often takes two or three games to get used to an opponent's serve and playing style, and so I can see that by the seventh game, you start to have a better chance of breaking serve.

I don't think there is any reason why the seventh game would be that much more important in the following sets.

brent-o
01-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Well, I always thought it was because on the 7th game, you get new balls. Fresh balls bounce truer and whoever takes the first strike is likely to win the point, I guess. I don't know. I'm horrible at explaining things.

Metis
01-13-2007, 03:29 AM
^^^ That's true for the 1st set only though...

Lee
01-13-2007, 03:36 AM
Well, I always thought it was because on the 7th game, you get new balls. Fresh balls bounce truer and whoever takes the first strike is likely to win the point, I guess. I don't know. I'm horrible at explaining things.

I think it's AFTER the 7th game that they change to new balls in the first set.

scoobs
01-13-2007, 04:04 AM
exactly - new balls come on game 8 in the first set, assuming it gets there.

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Because if you don't win it, the cookie monster will haunt you at night after the match.

GlennMirnyi
01-13-2007, 05:20 AM
bluefork?

:bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

BgStallion
01-13-2007, 05:28 AM
I think that was Bill Tildon's theory - that who ever wins the 7th is the favorite for the set in most cases :)
But alot of people don't think it's that important - I mean there are some way more important games in a match.

R.Federer
01-13-2007, 06:39 AM
If you serve first and break in the seventh game, then you just get to serve for the set right away. Your opponent either breaks you back right away or relinquishes the set.

Breaking any earlier in the set means that you have to carry your lead for several serve games and could give up that advantage before you can serve for the set.

Metis
01-13-2007, 06:42 AM
If you serve first and break in the seventh game, then you just get to serve for the set right away. Your opponent either breaks you back right away or relinquishes the set.

Breaking any earlier in the set means that you have to carry your lead for several serve games and could give up that advantage before you can serve for the set.

If you serve first then you are the one to serve in the 7th game. :)

RonE
01-13-2007, 07:26 AM
The 7th game is considered to be the very middle of a set if you take into account that sets are 13 games long including a tiebreak (unless it is the final set in the slams bar the U.S. Open or a DC tie). So that stage of a set is where the momentum is shifted/created. It is "make or break" time.

As for new balls- balls are changed every 9 games but the warmup practice at the beginning of the match is counted as two games, therefore in the first set the balls are replaced after 7 games and thereafter they are switched after every 9 games.

Angle Queen
01-13-2007, 10:22 AM
The 7th Game takes on more importance, regardless of who started serving, because there's often only one other "serving" opportunity left to break or be broken (to win the set cleanly).

Opponent served first
Going into the 7th game, you're tied at 3-all...with your opponent serving. If YOU break...it's now 4-3...with you serving to go up 5-3...and only one game away from the set. If you don't break, you're "down" 4-3 (even though you're technically "on serve")...and if your opponent breaks you in the next game...he goes up 5-3 and can serve out the set.

You served first
Going into the 7th game, you're tied at 3-all...with you serving. If you are broken (yikes), you're now down 4-3...and your opponent serves to go up 5-3, just one game away from the set. If you're not broken, you go into the changeover up 4-3...and hungry to break your opponent so you can go up 5-3 to serve out the set.

I think it's about the mental attitude of being "up" or "down"...and realizing the set's end is closer than you think. From a mental perspective and pure logistical standpoint, an early break has more of a chance to be recovered simply because there are/will be more opportunities and you think you're "still in it." By the time things are 4-3...there's only one more chance. ;)

I do think there's something to that it takes several of service games to get a good feel for the game so that at the "midpoint" of the set (as Ron referred to) is probably a so-called momentum shift...on way or the other.

Allstar
01-13-2007, 10:38 AM
It's just another myth that some commentators like to think is crucially important.

(Klaasen) Studies have shown that the 7th game carries no more importance than any other game. If anything, the 6th game is more important.

There is also little support to the theory that serving 1st is an advantage

jazar
01-13-2007, 11:23 AM
you never heard of lucky number 7?

TheBoiledEgg
01-13-2007, 01:54 PM
is this one of Dan Maskellism's ??

only true if the scores are level

it's not gonna matter much if you break the opponent who's 5-1 up :lol: