Pressure is On Blake To Deliver will he lose early or reach Semifinals or finals? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Pressure is On Blake To Deliver will he lose early or reach Semifinals or finals?

TennisAgenda
01-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Blake has to play Moya today. Moya's been playing great this week with two solid wins over Richard and Marcos. James Blake will have his hands full, Moya has a 5-3 edge over Blake in their head to head. One thing Moya has over Blake is he has a better serve and Moya is more aggressive and he can come to the net. A few years ago I think Blake got off twice not having to play Moya at the Australian Open. Well this year no such luck. Blake will have all the pressure in the world on his shoulders when he plays Moya in the first round. Again, Moya is at an advantage if Moya can win the first two sets at the Australian Open expect Moya to win. We all know Blake has a 0-9 record in five set matches. The only way for Blake to beat Moya in the first round is if he plays really well and Moya is off his game. Blake fans make ten million excuses for Blake. But he has two big tests to pass. First he's got play Moya later on today and second he has to play him at the Australian Open. And even if Blake can get past Moya in the first round he could easily lose to Lleyton Hewitt. Hewitt beat Blake the last time they played and Hewitt is VERY confident against Blake. I think Hewitt has a 6-1 or 7-1 edge over Blake. Everyone is talking about Nadal this and Nadal that. But Lleyton also has a winning record over Nadal and since this is hardcourt and not clay. Lletyon's chances increase. Watch out for Lleyton Hewitt at the Australian Open the bottom half of the draw is either his or Nadal's not James Blake.

jayjay
01-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Blake will make the 4th round at best. The bottom half is quite open, but Blake won't be the one to live up to his seeding or take advantage.

Horatio Caine
01-13-2007, 12:20 AM
One interesting thing to note from Blake's best-of-5 set matches in 2006 was that if he went just 1 set up, he'd win every single time. He won only 2 matches from 1 set down. I wonder if that is a pattern of his whole career? :scratch:

Even more interestingly, in 2006, Moya also won every single time from 1 set up, but NEVER came back from just 1 set down. :eek:

Obviously, the first set between those two on Monday or Tuesday will probably be absolutely crucial :p

jayjay
01-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Obviously, the first set between those two on Monday or Tuesday will probably be absolutely crucial :p

You know what that means, Jez, load up on the live odds after the 1st set. :lol:

I don't trust either of them, just hope it goes to a 5th and back Moya.

Horatio Caine
01-13-2007, 12:31 AM
You know what that means, Jez, load up on the live odds after the 1st set. :lol:

I don't trust either of them, just hope it goes to a 5th and back Moya.

That's EXACTLY what I mean :) :haha:

I'd give Blake the edge before the match starts...if he loses the first set then he can still come back provided he doesn't go 0/2. If Moya loses 1st set then, in terms of stats, and the general nature of Blake's play...it is :bigwave: Moya

Veronique
01-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Blake has to play Moya today. Moya's been playing great this week with two solid wins over Richard and Marcos. James Blake will have his hands full, Moya has a 5-3 edge over Blake in their head to head. One thing Moya has over Blake is he has a better serve and Moya is more aggressive and he can come to the net. A few years ago I think Blake got off twice not having to play Moya at the Australian Open. Well this year no such luck. Blake will have all the pressure in the world on his shoulders when he plays Moya in the first round. Again, Moya is at an advantage if Moya can win the first two sets at the Australian Open expect Moya to win. We all know Blake has a 0-9 record in five set matches. The only way for Blake to beat Moya in the first round is if he plays really well and Moya is off his game. Blake fans make ten million excuses for Blake. But he has two big tests to pass. First he's got play Moya later on today and second he has to play him at the Australian Open. And even if Blake can get past Moya in the first round he could easily lose to Lleyton Hewitt. Hewitt beat Blake the last time they played and Hewitt is VERY confident against Blake. I think Hewitt has a 6-1 or 7-1 edge over Blake. Everyone is talking about Nadal this and Nadal that. But Lleyton also has a winning record over Nadal and since this is hardcourt and not clay. Lletyon's chances increase. Watch out for Lleyton Hewitt at the Australian Open the bottom half of the draw is either his or Nadal's not James Blake.

Blah! I've already read your garbage against Blake in other threads. Get a life!

vamosnadal
01-13-2007, 01:59 AM
I just can't put a guy who has never won a five set match as a potential semi finalist on my list of picks, as much as I like him! Looking at previous Blake-Hewitt matches and results, I think James might lose to Hewitt before Lleyton goes on to lose to Nadal.

Hewitt and Rafa's H2H is very misleading in my opinion. Hewitt's wins came two years ago when Rafa was only about 50ish in the world if I remember rightly, certainly when he was a lot less experienced and also when his game hadn't completely clicked away from the clay. Although he also officially beat Rafa last year at Queen's - in reality Rafa retired injured after dominating Hewitt in places prior to that in the match. I'm definitely not convinced Hewitt would have won with Nadal fit.

I think Rusty V Rafa would be closely fought, but at the moment I don't think Hewitt's shots are big enough to trouble Nadal. I think Nadal will be praying he sees Hewitt on quarter finals day, rather than Blake. Having said all that, Nadal's got to get to the quarters first - not guaranteed with his recent form!