Worthless: Federer d. B??? in final [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Worthless: Federer d. B??? in final

TheBoiledEgg
01-12-2007, 07:43 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/01/12/aussie.men/index.html

Men's Top Seeds
1 Roger Federer
It's a Grand Slam. It's not being held in Paris. Here's your winner.

2 Rafael Nadal
Spaniard has neither momentum nor a clean bill of health on his side. The draw gods treated him well, but it's hard to see him living up to his seeding.

3 Nikolay Davydenko
Well, he's playing a big tournament that everyone cares about. (The rare time the guy's been quoted it costs him a fine.) But the little-known Russian enters with a bum foot. His quadrant is wide open.

4 Ivan Ljubicic
Will get an early test from Mardy Fish. But looks to be in form and ought to at least last through the middle weekend.

5 James Blake
The bad news is that he starts off against Carlos Moya, who's back to being a formidable player. The good news is that if Blake wins, the draw opens up considerably.

6 Andy Roddick
Trained diligently in Hawaii, looked sharp in Kooyong, comes in with surprisingly little fanfare ? which may ultimately be to his advantage. Usually plays well in Australia, too. One question: how will the absence of Coach Connors affect him?

7 Tommy Rebredo
Everyone is looking for Robo to slip in 2007, but he started strong in Auckland tune-up and ought to at least win a few rounds Down Under.

8 David Nalbandian
We're calling his first rounder around the bespectacled Janko Tipsarevic as our upset special.

9 Mario Ancic
We usually like Ancic in Slams, but he looked shaky last week. Do, however, notice his new adidas togs.

10 Fernando Gonzalez
"Gonzo" (an apt nickname if there ever were one) is always a player capable of damage. He's also a player capable of starting cold and getting upset by Kournikova cousin Evgeny Korolev in round one.

11 Marcos Baghdatis
A lovable finalist last year, The Crampster was cursed with a lousy draw and continues to self-sabotage with lousy fitness.

12 Tommy Haas
A player to watch, not least because of his unimposing draw.

13 Thomas Berdych
The Ana Ivanovic (also the 13th seed) of the men's tour. The breakthrough is a matter of time and little reason it can't happen at this event.

14 Novak Djokovic
A shame for him that he's in Federer's quadrant because otherwise he had real semifinal potential. By the French Open, he'll be a top eight seed.

15 Andy Murray
Marin County's adopted son has a real chance to make some noise. Comes in playing well and has the good fortune of landing in Nadal's quadrant.

16 David Ferrer
Stocky Spaniard is not the worst hard court player and he did reach the Auckland final.

Seeds 17-32
Radek Stepanek: Mr. Hingis is back in the fold. He'll be rusty, to be sure, but he was in the top 10 when he last played.
Dmitry Tursunov: Davis Cup hero has a lot of game but we don't like his odds in a likely third rounder against Berdych.
Robin Soderling: A big-hitting Swede who ought to be better than he is.
Mike Youzhny: Russian is coming off an injury, but he's often a tough out at a Major.
Marat Safin: Perhaps not the steadiest player. But he has reached the A.O. final three times since 2002.

Dark Horse NationJoachim Johansson: If he stays healthy (not a small if), easy to see this guy serving his way into week two.
Chris Guccione: With Hewitt gimpy and working with a new coach, the "Gooch" a hard-serving 21-year-old, is Australia's best hope.
Gael Monfils: We're getting impatient waiting for him to make that next career leap.
Carlos Moya: A shame he plays a top seed early because he enters playing his best tennis in recent memory.
Mardy Fish: Ditto. First-Round

Matches To Watch
Blake v. Moya: Great first-rounder for the fans, terrible first rounder for the principals.
Nadal v. Robert Kendrick: American had Nadal in trouble at Wimbledon and took his foot off his throat. Can he close the deal in Australia?
Guccione v. Olivier Rochus: Huge-serving behemoth versus the best 5-5 player in the sport's history.
Monfils v. Baghdatis: Okay, it's a (likely) second rounder but it's still a tasty match-up.
Ljubicic v. Fish: Terrible draw for "forgotten American," who was coming in playing inspired tennis.
Xavier Malisse v. Arnie Clement: An underachieving veteran versus and overachieving veteran.

Predictions
SEMIFINALS: Federer defeats JoJo Johansson, Berdych defeats Blake
FINAL: Federer defeats Blake
DOUBLES WINNER: Mark Knowles-Daniel Nestor

he has Berdych beating Blake in semis then it says Blake in final :tape:

Worthless as ever :lol:

Fumus
01-12-2007, 07:47 PM

:haha:

rofe
01-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Actually worse than that is JJ in the semis. I like JJ but he is not ready to make noise at the AO this year.

Fumus
01-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Actually worse than that is JJ in the semis. I like JJ but he is not ready to make noise at the AO this year.

Yea he looked awful in NextGen tourney...laughable performance against Djoko.

RickDaStick
01-12-2007, 07:59 PM
11 Marcos Baghdatis
A lovable finalist last year, The Crampster was cursed with a lousy draw and continues to self-sabotage with lousy fitness

:haha:

jayjay
01-12-2007, 08:05 PM
1 out of 4 (Federer) is pretty good going for him. Well done Wertheim.

rofe
01-12-2007, 08:07 PM
1 out of 4 (Federer) is pretty good going for him. Well done Wertheim.

And he didn't even have to try too hard on that one lol.

alfonsojose
01-12-2007, 08:07 PM
So much sh.. :ignore: fertilizer. Save the amazon :tape: :o

artlinkletter
01-12-2007, 08:20 PM
:haha: He has a picture of Nalby up instead of Berdych. lol

R.Federer
01-12-2007, 08:32 PM

I actually thought that this might happen as well, for no particular reason but one: JJ is flying under the radar, nobody will expect him to play well but he has the big weapons. I would not be surprised AT ALL to see him emerge out of at least his quarter if not half.

Saumon
01-12-2007, 08:36 PM

and a pic of ivanovic instead of petrova :o

rofe
01-12-2007, 08:37 PM
I actually thought that this might happen as well, for no particular reason but one: JJ is flying under the radar, nobody will expect him to play well but he has the big weapons. I would not be surprised AT ALL to see him emerge out of at least his quarter if not half.

In best of 5 matches?

jazar
01-12-2007, 08:44 PM
provided davydenko gets over his little injury i think he will make the final. i doubt nalbandian or roddick will do well. for the bottom half, my pick is nadal to beat murray, then lose to blake and blake lose to davydenko

Beforehand
01-12-2007, 08:44 PM
I was just about to ask. It was driving me INSANE. I double-taked like 11 times.

ufokart
01-12-2007, 09:04 PM
:haha: :haha:

Cervantes
01-12-2007, 09:19 PM
I would sign on for those semifinals right now, all four guys in my sig. However I don't see it happen. JJ is not ready yet, Berdych might as well lose to Lee and Blake over 5 sets?

edit: my predicted semis: Federer-Roddick; Haas-Hewitt

Donny
01-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Hmmm. Not a wtf moment like his Monfils prediction, but I think that PimPim needs more time to get back into his rhthym.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/01/12/aussie.men/index.html

scoobs
01-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Wertheim's been stoking a toke.

ufokart
01-12-2007, 09:36 PM
There's already a thread about Worthless

Vin Judah
01-12-2007, 09:37 PM
he might beat ancic in 2nd round, but i cant see him lasting to the semis

Donny
01-12-2007, 09:38 PM
There's already a thread about Worthless

Ah, crap, I looked for a thread on Werthem but .... I didn't get the slang -- i.e. "Worthless"

CLOSE this thread if you must ... dang it, it was my first new thread!

ezekiel
01-12-2007, 09:38 PM
when he goes overboard, he really goes overboard. If he said Federer, Nadal, Blake, Roddick it would be predictable but like this , no way :devil:

El Legenda
01-12-2007, 09:47 PM
JJ may be more overrated than Blake...he had one good GS :lol: as did Verkerk :lol:

jazar
01-12-2007, 09:57 PM
semis is way, way, way too far. whatever this guy is smoking, i want some, if it distorts your perception of reality that much

atheneglaukopis
01-12-2007, 11:41 PM
The irony of it all. :o

Exactly. Bageling Calleri after playing two back-to-back matches the day before? It's definitely a much stronger start to the season than last year, where he was pretty much disappointing until he beat Blake in straights at Melbourne.

:o I like Murray, but really, Marin County (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marin_County) could surely do better than that! :lol:"The county seat is San Rafael." :cool:

Fedex
01-12-2007, 11:41 PM

:lol: :rolls: :haha:

atheneglaukopis
01-12-2007, 11:53 PM
:spit: That's exactly whom they should've adopted!Yeah, he is known for his "seat", isn't he?

Two threads, yeah! :rocker2:

darnyelb
01-13-2007, 01:12 AM
yeah, I usually love Wertheim's stuff, but this one made me wonder what he was smoking. Of all the players in that quarter (Ljubicic, T Jo, Ancic, Safin, Roddick) he picks JJ? Like, holy crap!

TMJordan
01-13-2007, 01:17 AM
:rocker2:

Leo
01-13-2007, 07:45 AM
He predicted Monfils to the semis last year's AO and Youzhny to the semis in 2005. So, yeah.

Rosebud
01-13-2007, 01:38 PM
JJ may be more overrated than Blake...he had one good GS :lol: as did Verkerk :lol:Yes and who knows what might have been if it hadn't been for their injuries. Good to see Pim Pim back in the mix though.

J_Johansson
01-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Why was the JJ thread merged? It had nothing to do with the other prediction thread. Gosh. I went through hell searching for it.

Anyway, this isn't an important tournament in Joachim's career. From Wimbledon onward, however, you can get a better gauge of his prowess.

He hasn't had nearly the time under the new coaching regime to gear for a slam. If he makes it to round four that would be great.

Musashi
01-14-2007, 02:22 AM
Hmm, what about Gasquet :(!? Shouldn't he be some sort of dark horse ~_~

TimHenmanFan
01-14-2007, 03:29 AM
OH MY GOD he made a mistake!!!!!

I am literally rolling on the floor laughing because he said Blake instead of Berdych.

Honestly, theBoiledEGG, you are the funniest poster alive and thank you for making such a quality thread chalk full of content.

:retard: :retard: :retard: