Which Players Have Problems With The Heat [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which Players Have Problems With The Heat

Iván
01-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Do any of you tennis experts know if any of the players have serious ploblems with heat and exhaustion?

Obviously all players suffer but some players suffer more than others.

Have any players stated their disgust for the heat in past aussie open tournos?

Adler
01-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Maybe Nole Djokovic and some guys from the north (ex. from Sweden)

RickDaStick
01-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Look for Djokevoic to retire early due to heat exhaustion and Murray to start cramping by the 4th set in any of his matches.

GlennMirnyi
01-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Look for Djokevoic to retire early due to heat exhaustion and Murray to start cramping by the 4th set if any of his matches.

4th set?? You're being generous.

savesthedizzle
01-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Djokovic has in the past, but he did just fine in Adelaide last week. :p

Horatio Caine
01-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Look for Djokevoic to retire early due to heat exhaustion and Murray to start cramping by the 4th set in any of his matches.

Baggy will be panting like a dog after 3 points, Djokovic will be moaning after a set, and Murray will do his dying swan act mid-2nd set.

R.Federer
01-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Baggy will be panting like a dog after 3 points, Djokovic will be moaning after a set, and Murray will do his dying swan act mid-2nd set.

:lol: Touche
Very well put!

vincayou
01-12-2007, 03:48 PM

You can add Richie to the list.

Horatio Caine
01-12-2007, 03:49 PM
:lol: Touche
Very well put!

:aplot:

...and Gasquet will audible sigh "Mon Dieu" at the 3rd set changeover, with his match against Lisnard delicately poised at 6/0 0/6 :angel:

Byrd
01-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Hows it been in melbourne the past week, because Murrays looked comfortable in the heat so far during kooyong. He was training in california during the break to get used to the conditions.

Horatio Caine
01-12-2007, 03:50 PM
You can add Richie to the list.

Je l'ai fait :banana:

GlennMirnyi
01-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Hows it been in melbourne the past week, because Murrays looked comfortable in the heat so far during kooyong. He was training in california during the break to get used to the conditions.

Do you really take exhos seriously?

BORO77
01-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I remember that Haas had problms with breathing.
Is it windy over there? Last year some players were obstructed by wind

Deboogle!.
01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Hows it been in melbourne the past week, because Murrays looked comfortable in the heat so far during kooyong. He was training in california during the break to get used to the conditions.California isn't hot at this time of year :)

TMJordan
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
California isn't hot at this time of year :)

So. Cal :rocker2:

Horatio Caine
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Do you really take exhos seriously?

If they were to be taken aeriously, I'd be somewhat concerned that Murray got completely flattened by A-Rod, even if Roddick was playing well. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
01-12-2007, 04:44 PM
So. Cal :rocker2::lol: But it's not hot here ;) a couple days were hot last week (but not as hot as in Australia), but Murray was already gone :p This has been a cold winter in California, actually. so practicing in California means nothing :lol: Maybe he worked hard and got into better shape but he didn't hit in hot weather in California lol.

TMJordan
01-12-2007, 04:51 PM
:lol: But it's not hot here ;) a couple days were hot last week (but not as hot as in Australia), but Murray was already gone :p This has been a cold winter in California, actually. so practicing in California means nothing :lol: Maybe he worked hard and got into better shape but he didn't hit in hot weather in California lol.

Yes it is no comparision for the 100 degree weather in Australia, I look for certian people to strugle to cope with the heat.

Even San Diego not hot? :confused:

Deboogle!.
01-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Yes it is no comparision for the 100 degree weather in Australia, I look for certian people to strugle to cope with the heat.

Even San Diego not hot? :confused:Nope, San Diego is not hot. It will be under 60 F for most of So Cal today

and of course for every player that struggles in the heat, there are players who love playing in really hot temps because they know they have worked hard so it gives them a big fitness advantage :p

TMJordan
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Nope, San Diego is not hot. It will be under 60 F for most of So Cal today

Should be good for the Patriots this weekend :cool:

Tzar
01-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I know this is a mens forums but lemme include Lena Dementieva :( She had heat problems.

Nalbandian will meet gasquet, or grosjean not sure ( If gasquet have heat problems, i like him more then to meet david :)

Nalbs Piss'em Off! :D

Metis
01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
:lol: But it's not hot here ;) a couple days were hot last week (but not as hot as in Australia), but Murray was already gone :p This has been a cold winter in California, actually. so practicing in California means nothing :lol: Maybe he worked hard and got into better shape but he didn't hit in hot weather in California lol.

Yes, all the heat moved to New England this winter. :nerner:

Clara Bow
01-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Even San Diego not hot? :confused:

San Diego never really gets that hot- even in the summer. It is actually a fairly moderate climate in that it never really gets cold- but if I recall correctly, it does not get the 100+ degree temperatures that places such more inner California, Arizona, Texas and Florida can get.

For example. in the summer Houston is a lot hotter than San Diego. Even cities such as Chicago and New York can get hotter than San Diego. :) My city Austin can also get blazingly hot a whole bunch of humidity. It probably bodes Andy Roddick well that he lives here.

Tzar
01-12-2007, 05:04 PM
I was diying in orlando! :(

Deboogle!.
01-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Should be good for the Patriots this weekend :cool:PATS!!!! :rocker:

Yes, all the heat moved to New England this winter. :nerner:Yeah, and conveniently for me I was in New England when it was warm there :haha:
San Diego never really gets that hot- even in the summer. It is actually a fairly moderate climate in that it never really gets cold- but if I recall correctly, it does not get the 100+ degree temperatures that places such more inner California, Arizona, Texas and Florida can get.

For example. in the summer Houston is a lot hotter than San Diego. Even cities such as Chicago and New York can get hotter than San Diego. :)Argh Houston in the summer = kill me now :sobbing: I think you're right about San Diego, it is known as one of those places that's kind of between 60 and 80 all year round - the perfect climate :lol:

Juliet
01-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Djokovic will faint on the fifith set of his match against Massú

El Legenda
01-12-2007, 05:09 PM
just for the record..Pats sucks :wavey: and Tom Brady sucks too :)

cobalt60
01-12-2007, 05:10 PM

Don't you go dissing the Pats boy:p

vamosnadal
01-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Didn't Davydenko used to have problems in the heat, which gives him breathing problems. I seem to remember him retiring against Roddick one year because of it...?????

kindablue
01-13-2007, 02:05 AM

Baggy is used to the heat though :p

Maya_4
01-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Yes,Djokovic had some problems with the heat last season,but I think he is now ready for that,and he was great at Adelaide and he didn't have any problems with the heat there,so that is a very good news!:D GO NOLE:bounce:

oz_boz
01-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Imagine the damage Wilander, Edberg, ToJo and Enqvist would have done in AO if they weren't from Sweden :p

gusman890
01-13-2007, 01:12 PM

Im from New England, but Im a Colts / Peyton Manning Fan :worship:

Its odd, i always tend to support guys to tend to choke away in big stages, but peyton is still awesome to watch.

Topic: I think murray is in better condition after training with Michael Johnson according to the BBC site, and I think Nole will have some trouble as well given his past breathing problems.

Clara Bow
01-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Topic: I think murray is in better condition after training with Michael Johnson according to the BBC site, and I think Nole will have some trouble as well given his past breathing problems.

I agree that the training with Johnson will help Murray. I like that Andy and Gilbert are making his match fitness a priority and I imagine that someone like Johnson would be a great person to have as planning work outs for you. Granted- they weren't in a hot place when they were training- but I imagine that the cardio benefits will help him with the heat. (Shallow aside- Andy is actually sporting a rather nice six pack in the article about his training.)

In regards to Djokovic- he did seem to be much better at Adelaide but I wonder if that will hold up for him in five set matches.

zimzim
01-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Gasquet:o

cristal
01-13-2007, 04:25 PM
All players have problems with heat. This is normal. I know, that many of them earn much money, but when I see these people, when they play during heat (temperature is 35 and higher ) I symphathize with them. That must be terrible. This is quite hard profession.

Burrow
01-13-2007, 04:32 PM

WTF at the baghdatis comment. did you watch ANY of last years AO?

Byrd
01-13-2007, 05:56 PM
WTF at the baghdatis comment. did you watch ANY of last years AO?

His fitness has been pretty suspect after the AUS 2006 open though, hes injured quite alot of the time and seems to cramp alot if he plays long matches e.g. 5 setter at wimbledon and US open.

cmurray
01-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Go Philadelphia Eagles! :D

ljubicic_
01-13-2007, 06:49 PM
I only know just one player who really can't stand the heat, and that's a girl: M. Krajicek she gave up last year in the AO against Mauresmo because off the heat. Here whole body was red and she had also pain.

Green_Eyes
01-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Nalbandian must have huge problems managing that sweat rate, although he seems to do well in long matches, so it's hard to say.

williaer
01-13-2007, 11:52 PM

This past week has actually been really mild temperatures... only mid to high 20's (except for Wednesday which was 38 however Kooyong hadn't started). However, the heat is really going to be pumping on Tuesday and Wednesday (37 and 35 degrees) so we'll get to see how the players fare in the heat.

Samuel
01-14-2007, 12:01 AM
@williaer
Yeah I've taken a look at the forecast and it looks pretty hot to me. Altough it should become milder in the second half of the week, around 23 or something I read.
Warm enough for me right now, although experiencing one of the mildest winter in europe.

Byrd
01-14-2007, 12:20 AM
^^The roofs cover the stadiums once it goes over 35 degrees doesn't it?, thats gonna make the conditions really really humid in the arena I would of thought, ouch.

williaer
01-14-2007, 03:43 AM
^^The roofs cover the stadiums once it goes over 35 degrees doesn't it?, thats gonna make the conditions really really humid in the arena I would of thought, ouch.

Well when it gets to 35 degrees, they check the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (I think?) reaches 28 then they close the roof. But they never open/close during a match (unless it's raining of course). Rod Laver doesn't really get humid when the roof is closed because they pump the air conditioner but it definitely changes the conditions!

This year showers have been forecasted a lot in the first week. Ew. That means I'll be spending all my days at work drying the courts :(

calvinhobbes
01-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Roger played 2nd round at 1 pm local time. Nadal will play 2nd round at 8:30 pm LT. It´s only one example. I suppose it´s better for a good player to play in the evening than at noon, because the temp factor will not change dramatically his performance. My question: is there any rotating schedule that distributes equally the "noon hours" among the players? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Metis
01-17-2007, 11:59 PM
^^^ With the rain all the top players have been playing under closed roof and lights anyway :shrug:

Metis
01-18-2007, 12:10 AM
:haha: :haha:

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/lba0114l.jpg

I like this version of tennis. Challenging for the two-footed backfoot guys though.

delsa
01-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Julien Benneteau left the court under perfusion... He lead 2 sets to love but then vomited on the court etc... and they (with Paul Capdeville) kept playing while all the other matches on the other courts were delayed because of the record heat...and eventually lost.

Black Adam
01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Imagine the damage Wilander, Edberg, ToJo and Enqvist would have done in AO if they weren't from Sweden :p
Global warming wasn't the same threat those days as it is now.

reggie1
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I think Gasquet suffers terribly with the heat, he is quite fair skinned and never seems to get any tan other than his t-shirt one. Even on the beach he is still wearing a Lacoste polo! At this year's AO, especially in his first round match he seemed to really struggle. I know it can be down to fitness but even the Aussies that were at the match said it was excessively hot. I actually think AO is a bit like an endurance iron man contest rather than just a tennis tournie as the conditions are so difficult. Admittedly I say that as a delicate soul who wilts easily in the heat!:o

Dini
02-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Djokovic?

Tankman
02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
what made you guess that?

:haha:

HattonWBA
02-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Novak

meihaditalab
02-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Djoker? giving up like a f****** kid after 3 sets against Andy? lol

tangerine_dream
08-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Gulbis just got beat by the heat (not Chardy). It's now over 100şF out on the courts. USO has enacted an extreme heat policy for the first time. Djokovic is playing soon. :scared:

Oh, and Hurricane Earl is on his way, too.

Vamos USO!

jaana
08-31-2010, 07:03 PM
damn, Kolya doesn't like heat. hopefully him vs. Gasquet deserves a night session

Filo V.
08-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Three of the players notorious for heat related issues all are playing today, and struggling:

Baghdatis

Gulbis

Djokovic

Nole and Marcos had it much worse than Gulbis, as their matches were in the middle of the heat. Gulbis started early so he shouldn't have had as many issues, but his body failed him again. I think for some of these guys, their mental fragility and nervousness with the heat affects their bodies and makes them mentally tired, with enhances the chances of physical issues.

Vida
08-31-2010, 07:13 PM
tv guy said its 35 C in the shade right now (novak playing). only troicki, him and god know how much it is on the court.

TennisOnWood
08-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Lets make it even worse with 1-1 in sets :devil:

Vida
08-31-2010, 07:35 PM
no probs. djoker is just 'warming up' :D

TheBoiledEgg
08-31-2010, 08:04 PM
USTA were always gonna put Djoker on in the heat cos he wanted a night match
simple reason:he's in Duck's section.

tangerine_dream
08-31-2010, 08:09 PM
USTA were always gonna put Djoker on in the heat cos he wanted a night match
simple reason:he's in Duck's section.
Why? Roddick has beaten Djokovic three times in a row now.

peribsen
08-31-2010, 08:11 PM

It really isn't the heat that affects players the most, but the humidity, and that affects Southern Europeans just as much as Northern Europeans.

Sauletekis
08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
VAMOS VICTOR! What a point!

Serenidad
08-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Hopefully Brands does not have this issue.