Federer Calls for AO in March [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer Calls for AO in March

lordmanji
01-12-2007, 09:18 AM
At the bottom is a cut and paste from espn.com of roger arguing for a feb/march start for the aussie open.

In my opinion, the Aussie Open should be pushed back to either february or march to let the players rest but more importantly they should do what was done with the us open and combine the tournaments into a "aussie open" series. the ao right now really just appears out of nowhere (okay, two wks of tournies beforehand).

The same thing has been argued for Wimbledon. The perfect schedule then is something with one and a half to two months of lead-in tournaments before the grand slams like:

Late Jan to Feb - Aussie Open Series (hardcourt/asian swing)
Early March - Australian Open
April-May - French Open Series (clay/european/south american swing)
Early June - French Open
Mid June to Mid July - Wimbledon Series (grass/european swing)
Late July - Wimbledon
Aug to Mid Sept - US Open Series (hardcourt/north american swing)
Late Sept - US Open
Oct to Early Nov - Indoor Season (carpet/european swing)
Mid Nov - Year End Championships

the current grand slam schedule looks like this:
aussie open jan 15-28
french open may 27-june 10 (4 months since aussie open)
wimbledon june 25-july 8 (2 wks since french open)
us open august 28-sept 10 (2 months since wimbledon)

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Roger Federer renewed calls to stage the Australian Open later in the year after the intense build-up to next week's grand slam tournament resulted in a spate of injuries.

"It would be nice if the Australian Open would be a bit later, because if that would happen we would have a bit more time in the offseason," the world No. 1 said at the invitational Kooyong Classic.
Roger Federer
Federer

"But because the first grand slam is just around the corner, basically that's why we don't have any rest."

Federer blamed scheduling of the season's opening major for the growing list of injuries in the warm-up tournaments over the past two weeks.

World No. 2 Rafael Nadal became the most high profile casualty on Tuesday when he pulled out of the Sydney International with a right thigh strain.

He was joined on the withdrawal list by Russians Svetlana Kuznetsova and Nadia Petrova, and Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan. Injuries as well as the stifling heat were the most common complaints.

Local hope Lleyton Hewitt and Argentina's David Nalbandian are also nursing strains.

The Australian Open has often been blighted with player forfeiture as soaring temperatures in the Victorian state often lead to unbearable conditions on the Rebound Ace court.

Federer, who scraped through in three sets against Czech Radek Stepanek in his opening match at Kooyong on Wednesday, felt moving the slam to March would eliminate many of the problems players face at this time of year.

"If it was in March, people could take a rest all January and February as well," said Federer, who is aiming to lift his 10th grand slam trophy in Melbourne Park.

"But I don't think that's ever going to change. You are going to have to clean up the entire schedule to make everybody happy, and then people will still be not happy, so it will never really work out."

The Swiss, however, was adamant that having a more streamlined season would also not solve the problem.

It would lead to players cramming in more tournaments in a shorter space of time and this could take a toll on their bodies, he said.

"I'm not complaining … I usually play as many tournaments as I can," said Federer, who contested 97 matches in 2006.

"So I like it when the season is kind of long and it gives me the choice to choose.

"To solve [the injury crisis] it would be to move this tournament [Australian Open] further back, and then you have more room for a break. If you want to keep yourself busy in the offseason, you can always do that."

Just Cause
01-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Ya....he can have his own AO in March, the rest of the tou will just play it in January.

esther
01-12-2007, 09:22 AM
If the Aus Open was in March, you would lose majority of fans under the age of 25 because they would be at school/ uni which starts end of January and end of February respectively.

leng jai
01-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Terrible time to have the Aus Open.

Langers
01-12-2007, 10:41 AM
If the Aus Open was in March, you would lose majority of fans under the age of 25 because they would be at school/ uni which starts end of January and end of February respectively.
Exactly, attendances would drop dramatically.

Does he want to play in front of any empty RLA?

Saumon
01-12-2007, 11:07 AM

almost all the french students have exams during or right after RG :shrug: :p

flip_fan
01-12-2007, 11:17 AM
lol every year this topic is discussed.. but i think Fed raised the important point its not as simple as it sounds.. its all about the other events before and after the Australian Open that would have to change dates aswell.

It should've happened decades ago, but now i doubt it can be done.

Loremaster
01-12-2007, 11:42 AM
He Can buy himself TopSpin and/or Virtua Tennis and play it in March , practicing in January and February

darnyelb
01-12-2007, 03:57 PM
why is every opinion from the top players a "call" to do something LOL

Fumus
01-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Just hope he doesn't call....for the trainer.

lordmanji
01-12-2007, 05:04 PM
its impossible until its done.

*Viva Chile*
01-12-2007, 05:12 PM
and what will happen with a schedule like that with Indian Wells and Miami, even with the Davis Cup ties? :shrug:

jazar
01-12-2007, 06:25 PM
march is too late. maybe only move it back 1 or 2 weeks

scoobs
01-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Perhaps the world #1 can explain where in the season he would put Miami and Indian Wells if that were to happen?

Mistaflava
01-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Federer is becoming a big time baby.

Why doesn't he just shut up and play tennis? What a whiner.

Frooty_Bazooty
01-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Lets just change the name of January and March so that Roger will be happy :o

Fedex
01-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Federer is becoming a big time baby.

Why doesn't he just shut up and play tennis? What a whiner.
Ha! You should watch athletes more often if you think Federer is a big baby.

atheneglaukopis
01-12-2007, 11:39 PM
February can become Rogerary, or failing that, Dubaiary. :hearts:March can become "Marach", which is very close to how "Marat" is pronounced in Brazil. ;)

atheneglaukopis
01-12-2007, 11:45 PM
:eek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marach :lol:

November can become Novemboredo, in honor of my favorite boy. :angel:Even better--I love Tolkien! :hearts: January can be Jancic, October (best month of the year ;)) Djoktober.

Hey, Cheryl, you've got some competition here! :wavey:

atheneglaukopis
01-12-2007, 11:52 PM
:haha: December can be Ducksember, for all the Andy fans. :DSure...unless he beats Marat next week, in which case :armed:

And "Marach" totally sounds like the name of an angel from Christian myths. Probably a debauched/fallen one. :angel:It totally does, the difference being that I would expect it, as well as the the Marach of Middle-Earth, to be pronounced more like "Bach" than "March" or Brazilian Portuguese "Marach".

EDIT: This brings a new meaning to Roger calling for an "AO in Marach." :eek:Thank you for thinking of that. :haha:

atheneglaukopis
01-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Only trying to live up to my signature! :sobbing:Up, or down? Regardless, you outdid yourself with the "county" observation. :worship:

atheneglaukopis
01-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Hey, you spotted the name! :bowdown: Our powers combine in an exponential way, it seems. :eek:We make a good team. Edit: So Cheryl can keep her singles "Champion Thread Derailer" title, but we win the doubles!

:lol: So now I'm repping you just because I can and you can't! :nerner: :haha: ... :bolt: :angel:

You're doing what?!! :explode: