Kooyong: Federer def Safin 6-3 7-6(2) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Kooyong: Federer def Safin 6-3 7-6(2)

Peacemaster
01-11-2007, 02:22 AM
Exhibition, I know. But, Roger was flawless, apart from one game in the second where he was broken. Marat looked good too.

scoobs
01-11-2007, 02:24 AM
I wouldn't say flawless but it was much much better from him. Safin played well too but blew it when serving for the second set and Rog pulled away in the breaker.

It was good to see them both on court together - it's been ages.

And Roger will no doubt feel much happier with his play after today.

Angeltroy
01-11-2007, 02:25 AM
They should already be putting his name on the AO trophy. :worship: :worship:

Peacemaster
A sample of Federer's tongue-in-cheek humour: when asked who he'd rather play in the final - Murray or Roddick - he said he's looking forward to playing Andy.

rofe
I love watching these guys play against each other. It has been a long time. Halle 2005 I think?

I hope they play against each other at the AO.

Yappa
01-11-2007, 02:26 AM
It's getting tiring to see Federers opponent's blow a lead. Jesus.

nobama
01-11-2007, 02:26 AM
Roger was asked afterwards if he thought he would face Roddick or Murray in the final:

Q: Roger, and now in the final you will meet Roddick or Murray, what do you think?

Roger: 'I think a Andy'

:lol:

Glad he played better today. And glad Marat played well too. :)

scoobs
01-11-2007, 02:27 AM
A sample of Federer's tongue-in-cheek humour: when asked who he'd rather play in the final - Murray or Roddick - he said he's looking forward to playing Andy.

:lol:

he does make me laugh at times.

nobama
Did you see it live? How did Marat blow his 5-2 lead? Stupid mistakes?

deliveryman

I don't recall Marat ever "leading" in this match.

Nice try, though.

scoobs
01-11-2007, 02:28 AM
He led in the second set by a break and served for it. no-one said he led in the match but he did lead in the second set

Peacemaster
01-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Did you see it live? How did Marat blow his 5-2 lead? Stupid mistakes?

He was just going for too much, serving for the set. Federer hit a couple of awesome shots too. Both wings were very strong for him today.

deliveryman
01-11-2007, 02:31 AM
He led in the second set by a break and served for it. no-one said he led in the match but he did lead in the second set

I know that.

I was under the impression that he was saying Marat blew a lead in the match.

nobama
He was just going for too much, serving for the set. Federer hit a couple of awesome shots too. Both wings were very strong for him today.Not sure what woke him up today but glad he's playing better. Now just lose to Andy in he final and everything will be perfect. :)

scoobs
The off-forehand was especially good today, and the backhand down the line was not too shabby either.

Bremen
01-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Great match Fed!!! Much much much better!!!!!

Yappa
01-11-2007, 02:32 AM
I don't recall Marat ever "leading" in this match.

He was serving for the 2nd set.

Nice try, though.

Trying is not enough. :(

deliveryman
01-11-2007, 02:33 AM
He was serving for the 2nd set.

Trying is not enough. :(

That still isn't theoretically "leading"

Peacemaster
01-11-2007, 02:34 AM
The off-forehand was especially good today, and the backhand down the line was not too shabby either.

I agree. I was taken aback by the power he generated in his backhands. I liked that backhand-drop-shot-service-return-winner too. Cracked me up, it was so cheeky.

Yappa
01-11-2007, 02:34 AM
I know that.

I was under the impression that he was saying Marat blew a lead in the match.

nope. Since I watched the match, I wouldn't mean that.

Fergie
01-11-2007, 02:37 AM
Better match Roger, well done! :)

Yappa
That still isn't theoretically "leading"

I get the impression, that you meant something else by posting "nice try, though".

Anyways, he had a lead in the 2nd set and lost the set anyways. Doesn't matter if we're talking about sets or matches. I didn't make any difference in that regard, and we really don't need to get on each others nerves by trying to prove each other wrong.

Byrd
Feds backhand was going blow for blow with safins which shows how much its improved. Also I think his overall game was so much better than yesterday, if i was given separate tapes to watch i would of probably thought they were different people. On the whole a good performance from both with some minor hiccups.

Bremen
01-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Yeah...Safin looked good too...he yelled a bit...threw a racquet...but caught it so he kept his emotions mostly in check.

Johnny Groove
01-11-2007, 02:46 AM
They should already be putting his name on the AO trophy. :worship: :worship:

:rolleyes: might as well do it for all the tourneys he plays in this year. In fact, shit, everyone should just take the whole year off and give Federer the trophy for all the tournaments

Angeltroy
01-11-2007, 03:02 AM
:rolleyes: might as well do it for all the tourneys he plays in this year. In fact, shit, everyone should just take the whole year off and give Federer the trophy for all the tournaments

I don't have a problem with that.:wavey:

guga2120
01-11-2007, 03:04 AM
what racquet is Federer using there? thats not the N-code.

Deea
01-11-2007, 03:22 AM
Oh well...this was a pretty good try for Marat! :D :D Mayeb at the AO if they do meet...things could be different! :p

nobama
01-11-2007, 03:39 AM
From Fed's presser today. An unintentional telegraph to the other guys on how to beat him? :lol:

Q. How much better did you play tomorrow against yesterday, can you put a percentage on it?

A. It's a totally different opponent. My opponent from yesterday, he's known for changing up his game a lot, coming to the net, serve and volleying, chip and charging, not giving you the best of rhythm from the baseline, because he does miss a lot because he takes many chances. He's not famous for his groundstrokes but for his attacking style. It was obvious that we were not going to have great rallies with Radek, but today that was going to happen, so it did and we both, I thought, played well. Yesterday was okay, too, I thought, for a first match, it's just that I had too many loose moments. But it was obvious, too, that that was going to happen. It was just a matter of getting my act together for today, and I did, so I'm feeling good today for the next match.

sykotique
01-11-2007, 03:45 AM
From Fed's presser today. An unintentional telegraph to the other guys on how to beat him? :lol:

Or maybe a crafty ploy to lure Roddick and Ancic into his dastardly trap for all players who dare try to pressure him at the net...you never know with this guy.

I just wish everyone around him would stop falling down injured. Maybe they should find out what Roger's eating. The guy's had what, one minor injury during his entire professional career? And it didn't even cause him a slump! Not fair!

RonE
01-11-2007, 04:59 AM
Good stuff :yeah:

Only an exho I know, but considering Rogi just beat the last guy to beat him at the Australian Open in pretty convincing fashion it can't do his confidence too much harm :)

atheneglaukopis
01-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Or maybe a crafty ploy to lure Roddick and Ancic into his dastardly trap for all players who dare try to pressure him at the net...you never know with this guy.

I just wish everyone around him would stop falling down injured. Maybe they should find out what Roger's eating. The guy's had what, one minor injury during his entire professional career? And it didn't even cause him a slump! Not fair!At that point, narrowly losing a final was a slump for Roger. :p

DrJules
01-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Not sure what woke him up today but glad he's playing better. Now just lose to Andy in he final and everything will be perfect. :)

Not necessarily meaning anything:

2004 does not win Kooyong wins Australian Open
2005 wins Kooyong does not win Australian Open
2006 does not win Kooyong wins Australian Open

In the last 3 years Federer has not won Kooyong and the Australian Open in the same year.

jazar
01-11-2007, 06:42 AM
much better match than against stepanek. reasonable from safin as well. federer is finding his form at the right time

silverarrows
01-11-2007, 07:20 AM
I saw the match live on TV. Both of them are playing well. It's just that Roger pulled out amazing shots(backhand/dropshot crosscourt). Nice win Roger! ;)

MariaV
01-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Yeah...Safin looked good too...he yelled a bit...threw a racquet...but caught it so he kept his emotions mostly in check.

Good, good. :D
Marat seems really positive and ready for the season. :D

Mateya
01-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Go Marat! :) Next time you should serve it out...
I wish that something good happens at AO...like my sig :angel:

He is more mature now, I hope the "racquet smashing times" are over. Well, 1 racquet per week yes, but not 10 (or 1 per set). :devil: :rolleyes:

FSRteam
01-11-2007, 07:50 AM

In the last 3 years Federer has not won Kooyong and the Australian Open in the same year.

I think that is why mirkaland said what she said! :rolleyes:

she wants him to win and she knows he never won both the same year...

FSRteam
01-11-2007, 07:51 AM

Just like when he said he'd rather play murray than roddick in the final for the rythm!

FSRteam
01-11-2007, 07:55 AM

I just wish everyone around him would stop falling down injured. Maybe they should find out what Roger's eating. The guy's had what, one minor injury during his entire professional career? And it didn't even cause him a slump! Not fair!

In late 2004 he had an injury that prevented him from playing almost all indoors tournaments (madrid, basel and paris) and in 2005 a very bad injury on his foot that also prevented him from playing those 3 tournaments. Before that he had missed like 4 months in the early 2000s (2002?!?) I think with a shoulder injury and a couple of others I don't remeber when and what but he still had a few!

drf716
01-11-2007, 07:56 AM
well, marat we still love you +++!

Peacemaster
01-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Federer exacts revenge
by Jennifer Witham
Thursday, 11 January, 2007

It was a case of same city but different result when Roger Federer blew away the cobwebs that plagued his first match at the AAMI Classic, and in the process turned the tables on his last encounter in Melbourne against Marat Safin.

The win for Federer will give the nine-time Grand Slam champion confidence going into next week's Australian Open after a somewhat shaky start on Wednesday when he struggled to put away Radek Stepanek in his first match of 2007.

It also reversed Safin's stunning defeat of the Swiss master in the semifinals of Australian Open 2005.

While Safin went on to win that year's title, his second and most recent Grand Slam victory, Federer has since saluted five times on the biggest stage.

However, Safin still relishes the opportunity to play Federer and spoke of his goal to bridge the gap between the two.

"It's a big challenge for me, it's a completely different style of game, compared to other players, and for me it's a huge challenge. I always enjoy it, even though I didn't beat him many times, but I was very close on a few of them," Safin said after facing Federer in the AAMI Classic.

"And my next few years that I'm playing here, I would love to break him a little bit and take advantage of that, when we have been playing for a long time, to beat him a few times."

They have met on 10 occasions in total - three of which were finals - with Federer leading the charge 8-2.

The pair first met in 2001 in Rome and Federer was quick to blow the head-to-head statistics out to 3-0 before Safin broke through in Russia a year later.

The win would have given the Russian confidence two years later when they faced off in the final of the 2003 Australian Open but a tough run into the decider left Safin exhausted and unable to mount a serious challenge.

But, what has been the most exciting encounter between the two evolved one night in January 2005 when the two battled on Rod Laver Arena in the semifinal.

Federer was the favoured of the two heading into the showdown - after all, it was hard to ignore the raw statistics that showed he had not dropped a set en-route to the semifinal and had destroyed Andre Agassi in the quarters.

The match was an epic five-setter, which had the Melbourne fans on the edge of their seats for close to four-and-a-half hours until Safin prevailed 9-7 in the deciding set.

The temperamental Russian saved one match point and watched as Federer went on to call the trainer for attention to elbow and back pain. He then needed squandered six match points before converting at his seventh opportunity.

The win put Safin through to the final for the third time in four years where he recovered from a set down to crush the hopes of local hero Lleyton Hewitt and claim his second Gland Slam title.

Since then, Federer has gone on to win five Grand Slams and has been No.1 in the world since 2004 as well as ending 2006 with an amazing 92-5 win-loss record.

Meanwhile, Safin reached No.4 in the world in 2004 but has since slipped down to 26th after a trying 2006 which saw him battle injury for a 34-24 record.

Despite the Russian 26-year-old being unable to bottle the form which saw him triumph in Melbourne in 2005, Federer still believes Safin can produce a tough challenge when on song.

"He's got one of the best returns in the game. When he really wants to serve well, he can clock that serve every time on the line, when he's on," Federer said.

"That's what happened two years ago here, so you've always got to expect that. He's got one of the best backhands as well."

"He's definitely improved his attacking style. His slice is better, his volleys have become better. And I definitely think he's a better player now than he was at the beginning of his career."

Although his ranking has fallen, Safin believes his game has improved since taking the title two years ago.

"It took me quite a lot of time to get here, to where I am, and I think I've improved my game a little bit, step by step, for the past year," he said.

"Wimbledon was pretty tough for me, and with my knee injury, but I'm pretty satisfied with the way my game improved. I can play serve and volley, I can play some different styles, so it helps a lot."

nobama
01-11-2007, 11:08 AM

In the last 3 years Federer has not won Kooyong and the Australian Open in the same year.I think Agassi was the last guy to win Kooyong and AO (in 2000).

Xristos
01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Good match but I do wish Marat would have won the second set.

oz_boz
01-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Federer exacts revenge

:haha:

I highly doubt that even Fed's Kooyong and Halle victories combined make up for that AO SF where he got within one point from winning and probably taking a GS.

Shabazza
01-11-2007, 01:09 PM

I highly doubt that even Fed's Kooyong and Halle victories combined make up for that AO SF where he got within one point from winning and probably taking a GS.

Yep the real revenge should be at this years AO! Hopefully in the 2nd week. Please have a nice draw for both men (esp. Safin).
I wan't Safin on Nadal's side I'm waiting like forever to see those 2 play each other! :(

Exodus
01-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Yep the real revenge should be at this years AO! Hopefully in the 2nd week. Please have a nice draw for both men (esp. Safin).
I wan't Safin on Nadal's side I'm waiting like forever to see those 2 play each other! :(

me too want to see safin roasting the pig :devil:

safinalium
01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
they both played good tennis. it was obvious that they weren't playing at their best because they wanted to save their power for the ao. i'm sure that we can expect great matches from them next week. :yeah:

Fumus
01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Too bad for Marat, he has the game to beat Rogi...and yes watching these two play is always a treat...good for Marat although I am sure he of all people wasn't into gear for this tourney, Roger will play a different Safin if they meet at AO, that I guarentee.

neme6
01-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I don't understand why so many people criticise Roger's opponents for blowing a lead, don't you think that it must be hard to keep it up with the greatest of all time to with a racket? I know some of you don't think he's the greatest.

Fumus
01-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't understand why so many people criticise Roger's opponents for blowing a lead, don't you think that it must be hard to keep it up with the greatest of all time to with a racket? I know some of you don't think he's the greatest.

The greatest is only the greatest until someone better has come along...besides that Rogi's still got some records to break alot can happen in two years.

oz_boz
01-11-2007, 02:10 PM

Federer is NOT the greatest of all time, at least not yet. Sampras-Laver-Borg are definitely above him in the greatest of all time discussion, at least a majority of tennis expert will say that. If Federer wins one or two more Slams he can be a contender though.

chetanpv
01-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Either way Federer is going to be mauled by Andy in the final.

Deea
01-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Actually I hope Roger wins Kooyong this year :devil: :devil: :devil:

Electroshogun
01-11-2007, 03:51 PM

Aren't you from the BBC Boards?

CmonAussie
01-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I think Agassi was the last guy to win Kooyong and AO (in 2000).

:wavey:
Agassi won both the AO & Kooyong in the same years on three occasions;)

2000 ~ AO & Kooyong double
2001 ~ AO & Kooyong double
2002 ~ lost Kooyong final to Sampras.. then WD from AO due to injury
2003 ~ AO & Kooyong double

Andre loved thosed sticky rubberised Rebound courts:cool:

chetanpv
01-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Aren't you from the BBC Boards?

Yes but what does it have to do with the outcome an Andy anihilating the arrogant swiss in the final.

Peacemaster
01-11-2007, 06:26 PM

This quote (although I'm sure it's not intentional) may be taken to imply that I consider Federer's had his revenge against Marat by beating him at a practice event. Just wanted to clarify that it is just an article I clipped from the AO Open website where they are obviously trying to trump up as much interest in the Slam as possible. Revenge is an attractive buzzword in any sport.

MisterQ
01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
:wavey:
Agassi won both the AO & Kooyong in the same years on three occasions;)

2000 ~ AO & Kooyong double
2001 ~ AO & Kooyong double
2002 ~ lost Kooyong final to Sampras.. then WD from AO due to injury
2003 ~ AO & Kooyong double

Andre loved thosed sticky rubberised Rebound courts:cool:

Yet, oddly enough, he's the only man to have won them both in the same year.

KaxMisha
01-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Yet, oddly enough, he's the only man to have won them both in the same year.

You'll probably have to take that back in a little more than two weeks, thoug. ;)

Saumon
01-11-2007, 07:08 PM
You'll probably have to take that back in a little more than two weeks, thoug. ;)

I don't think Murray can win them both :shrug: :p

Deea
01-11-2007, 07:16 PM

:lol: that's our Gab :p

hablovah19
01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Just hope you do well at the AO, Marat! :hug:

KaxMisha
01-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Of course not! I was talking about Roddick! :devil:

Loremaster
01-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I hope for another Roddick - Roger match :devil:

MisterQ
01-11-2007, 07:27 PM

I know... that's why I'm throwing that out there NOW. :lol: ;)