Is January the right time for the first GS? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is January the right time for the first GS?

Eden
01-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Federer, Mauresmo renew late-start plea
- Australian Open
- Venus latest to pull out

Melbourne: Australian Open champions Roger Federer and Amelie Mauresmo renewed calls to stage the event later in the year after the intense build-up to next week’s Grand Slam resulted in a spate of injuries.
“It would be nice if the Australian Open would be a bit later, because then we would have a bit more time in the off season,” men’s world number one Federer said at the invitational Kooyong Classic.
“But because the first Grand Slam is just around the corner, basically that’s why we don’t have any rest.”
Federer blamed scheduling of the season’s opening major for the growing list of injuries in the warm-up tournaments over the past two weeks.
World No.2 Rafael Nadal became the highest-profile casualty on Tuesday when he pulled out of the Sydney International with a right thigh strain.
Former world No.1 Venus Williams is the latest to join the pullout list. An Australian Open official said on Wednesday that Venus had withdrawn from the first Grand Slam of 2007 because of a left wrist injury.
Venus, currently ranked 48 in the world, joins world number one Justine Henin-Hardenne among the absentees from this year’s event, starting on Monday.
Also on withdrawal roster are Russians Svetlana Kuznetsova and Nadia Petrova, and Thailand’s Paradorn Srichaphan. Injuries as well as the stifling heat were the most common complaints.
Local hope Lleyton Hewitt and Argentina’s David Nalbandian are also nursing niggling strains.
The Open has also been blighted with player forfeiture as searing heat in the Victorian state often leads to unbearable conditions on the Rebound Ace court, where temperatures can exceed 45 degrees Celsius.
Mauresmo was blunt with her assessment of the situation. “It seems like we’ve been talking about this for years... but it doesn’t seem to be the concern of the organisation here,” she said in Sydney.
Tennis Australia officials did agree to push the tournament, traditionally held in the last two weeks of January, back one week but later scrapped the plan and reverted to the original dates.
Federer felt moving the slam to March, when the weather would also be cooler, would eliminate many of the problems players face at this time of year.

Source: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070111/asp/sports/story_7246363.asp

What do you think about the suggestions that the Australian Open should been postponed to a later date? Do you agree with players like Federer and Mauresmo or do you think it isn't necessary to change the schedule?

El Legenda
01-10-2007, 11:28 PM
yeah lets give players more time to get hurt before AO :yeah:

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
The season is just too long not so much that January is the right time or not. Season should finish in October, it drags on too much.

scoobs
01-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Yes it's been said for years the timing of Australia is not ideal and for many reasons March would be better, but the trouble is the competing interests get in the way of doing anything about it...what about Indian Wells and Miami, for instance...March clashes with other sporting events in Australia like, I think, the Grand Prix.

There are reasons why nothing has been done about this, but yes, it's not ideal. Playing in the middle of the Australian summer is pretty dumb if you ask me.

Mistaflava
01-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Yet another ridiculous thread. This is getting out of control.

What are you expecting people to answer? That the AO should be played in May? That all four grand slams should be played one after the other?

When the hell do you want them to do it?

Washa Koroleva
01-10-2007, 11:51 PM

What are you expecting people to answer? That the AO should be played in May? That all four grand slams should be played one after the other?

Seriously :lol:... if not in January, if seriously in May, it may be raining the whole time or whatever. Besides that I think it's better to have Grand Slams spread out through the year and not all during northern hemisphere summer months.

R.Federer
01-11-2007, 12:10 AM
It's so soon after the off-season so everyone is in equally bad shape, it's the tournament that pays the price when poor-in-shape competitors get the inevitable injuries and withdraw. Australian tennis officials would potentially get a better tournament slightly later, but it would affect the entire tour schedule.

Eden
01-11-2007, 12:13 AM

I'm sorry if you find a discussion about the suggestions of players ridiculous, but of course you are free to find more serious threads for GM more qualified.

cartmancop
01-11-2007, 12:18 AM
I would like it to move to at early-mid February and that would add about 3 more weeks of offseason in December/January, but that's unrealistic b/c of the numerous competing interests that have more stake in it...

alfonsojose
01-11-2007, 01:06 AM
:rolleyes: The top three guys are money whores. Kolya playing like crazy, JesusFed and Nadal playing exos everywhere for more bucks and then complaining

GlennMirnyi
01-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Mistatool complaining about crappy threads... that's just surreal... :lol:

The AO should be later, but the season should start later too.

guga2120
01-11-2007, 01:59 AM
if it was in March it would not be the worst thing, but like in Paris and London, its the middle of the summer right now in Australia, that certainly plays into it.

marti_228
01-11-2007, 02:09 AM
I always thought that the AO should be later, at least in the first two weeks of February. I also think that RG and Wimbledon should be separated by more than two weeks so that the players can adjust well to grass after having played on clay, specially for those who reach the semifinal.

CmonAussie
01-11-2007, 03:34 AM
:rolleyes: The top three guys are money whores. Kolya playing like crazy, JesusFed and Nadal playing exos everywhere for more bucks and then complaining

:wavey: :worship:
Yeah I think you`re right:cool: .. Actually a little bit disappointed with Federer`s greedy attitude:sad:
He wants the tennis season to begin officially in March so he can play exhibitions for 3-months [Dec, Jan, Feb]:eek: ... Just take a look at one of his comments i found in an article today~~ he admits he`d rather play exhibitions:rolleyes:
~~
That`s fine & dandy for Federer... because he`ll get paid handsomly for those exos,~but the journeyman type players won`t be getting paid for nearly 4-months in the year [considering TMC is the only tourney in Nov, so most players would have to wait 4-months (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb)~ to play in official tourneys offering prizemoney]..
Normally Federer is very careful about what he says but this time I think he spoke before thinking:p
... NOTE that Roger also contradicted himself by saying "..I`m happy when the season is long":confused:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Move Open back, says Federer
By Robert Grant

January 10, 2007
WORLD No.1 Roger Federer has bought into the annual debate about the scheduling of the Australian Open, saying he would prefer it took place in March.
Federer agreed today with a number of the game's elite who believe the Open, which starts on Monday, should be pushed back in the calendar.
This would give touring pros a proper break instead of forcing them into a frantic never-ending chase after ATP points and leaving many unrefreshed for the first grand slam of the new season.
Federer today shook some rust from his game to squeeze past Czech Radek Stepanek at the Kooyong Classic 7-6 6-7 7-6 before launching into a push for an ATP calendar overhaul.
"Honestly, I don't want to start anything here, but it would be nice if the Australian Open would be a bit later ... we would have a bit more time in the off season," Federer said.
"But because the first grand slam is just around the corner, basically that's why we don't have any rest.
"If it would be in March, people could take a rest all January and February as well." :rolleyes:
But he admitted the perennial problem would probably never be solved to everybody's satisfaction.
"You are going to have to clean up the entire schedule to make everybody happy and then people will still be not happy, so it will never really work out," he said.
Federer said that while the players' association, the ATP, was agitating for an earlier end to the season, he believed that moving the Australian Open back was a better idea.
"Then you would have more room for a break and everything, play more exhibitions if you want and stuff," he said. :eek: :o
"Look, I'm not complaining, I'm playing all the four slams.
"I usually play as many tournaments as I can so I like it when the season is kind of long and it gives me a choice. :confused:
"But that seems to change as well, with the Masters Series coming along, wanting me to play all of them and getting punished when you don't play."
Federer said the closeness of his match today was a result of his decision to bypass the Qatar Open, which he has won the past two years.
"Obviously I'm trying to make my way into the new year and everything. I think, win or lose, it wouldn't have changed very much," he said.
"I was so close to losing, but it still feels better to come off as a winner."
Federer said today's clash served as a good basis for data collection ahead of the Australian Open.
"Playing such a long match gives me a lot of information for what I could do better, what's already in place.
"Concentration is the biggest factor, it's kind of tough to get into things entirely.
"Match by match it's going to get better...but I just tried to keep it together," he said.
Earlier former US Open champion Andy Roddick breezed past German Tommy Haas 6-2 6-3 but woke up to the news that his new coach, Jimmy Connors, might not be joining him in Melbourne.
Connors' mother Gloria died overnight in Illinois at the age of 82.
Meanwhile, Russian Marat Safin warmed up with a win over Argentinian David Nalbandian, seizing the match 5-7 6-1 6-2.

nobama
01-11-2007, 03:39 AM
:rolleyes: The top three guys are money whores. Kolya playing like crazy, JesusFed and Nadal playing exos everywhere for more bucks and then complainingNot sure about Nadal but Roger played 1 exo last year right right after TMC. :shrug:

nobama
01-11-2007, 03:44 AM
[B]:wavey: :worship:
Yeah I think you`re right:cool: .. Actually a little bit disappointed with Federer`s greedy attitude:sad:
He wants the tennis season to begin officially in March so he can play exhibitions for 3-months [Dec, Jan, Feb]:eek: ... Just take a look at one of his comments i found in an article today~~ he admits he`d rather play exhibitions:rolleyes: Um, in the quote he says "if you want". How does that equate to he'd rather play exos? :confused: BTW he only played one exo last year - against Nadal in South Korea right after Shanghai. Not sure how much they got paid but the place was packed.

Johnny Groove
01-11-2007, 03:44 AM
maybe if the players had the brains to SCHEDULE THEIR SCHEDULES BETTER, there wouldnt be a problem. Like, for instance, playing an exho in Korea 2 days after Shanghai final, or playing a tourney in India, then flying to Australia to play a match 48 hrs later

nobama
01-11-2007, 03:48 AM
maybe if the players had the brains to SCHEDULE THEIR SCHEDULES BETTER, there wouldnt be a problem. Like, for instance, playing an exho in Korea 2 days after Shanghai final, or playing a tourney in India, then flying to Australia to play a match 48 hrs laterHow does playing an exo 2 days after the season has finished cause a problem when they have well over a month off after that? I don't think that exo caused Nadal's (hopefully) minor injury problems.

Johnny Groove
01-11-2007, 03:49 AM
How does playing an exo 2 days after the season has finished cause a problem when they have well over a month off after that? I don't think that exo caused Nadal's (hopefully) minor injury problems.

my argument was mostly the situation with Chennai and Sydney, but with regards to Seoul, i just thought it to be unnecessary. Sure, the place was packed, and it made alot of money, but, eh, call me picky

Bremen
01-11-2007, 03:52 AM
I agree with Fed and Momo...shorten the season...start the AO later...extreme heat...not enough prep for the players...plus there should be a masters series event in Australia given it's importance in the tennis world.

CmonAussie
01-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Not sure about Nadal but Roger played 1 exo last year right right after TMC. :shrug:

:wavey:
Yes, but Federer would play more a lot more exos if the tennis season began in March:eek: ;) ... He said it himself, you can read the quotes from the posted article;)

nobama
01-11-2007, 03:57 AM
my argument was mostly the situation with Chennai and Sydney, but with regards to Seoul, i just thought it to be unnecessary. Sure, the place was packed, and it made alot of money, but, eh, call me pickyI guess it didn't bother me because there are no tournaments in South Korea are there? So at least people there got to see the top 2 players. But I'm not keen on having a real tournament the week before a slam. Look at all the pull outs in Sydney. Probably players just being cautious, but not very good for the tournament. I know players need warm-up events, but maybe not have them the week before a slam?

nobama
01-11-2007, 04:01 AM
:wavey:
Yes, but Federer would play more a lot more exos if the tennis season began in March:eek: ;) ... He said it himself, you can read the quotes from the posted article;)He said you could IF YOU WANT. He didn't say whether he would. If he wanted to now he could play more in the current offseason. I don't have a problem with exos. I understand the injury concern. But I have no problem with players doing exos in places that are tennis deprived or playing in them for charity (like Roddick usually does).

Johnny Groove
01-11-2007, 04:02 AM
I guess it didn't bother me because there are no tournaments in South Korea are there? So at least people there got to see the top 2 players. But I'm not keen on having a real tournament the week before a slam. Look at all the pull outs in Sydney. Probably players just being cautious, but not very good for the tournament. I know players need warm-up events, but maybe not have them the week before a slam?

exactly, and not somwhere in the middle east either. If you're gonna play a warm-up to AO, do Adelaide and/or Kooyong. since they're both RR, you'll get a few matches in, and already be in Australia, so you dont need to have a long flight. :shrug:

of course, in India, Rafa is a cult, like marat on MTF, but thats another story :p

Magical Trevor
01-11-2007, 05:03 AM
I'm not sure if moving the AO back is a good idea. As it is at the moment, the AO finishes at the same time as the school holidays, so they get really fantastic attendances.

If it's moved further back, most kids won't really get to watch any of the tennis. Unless it's moved about 3 months back to the Easter break.

Bremen
01-11-2007, 05:11 AM
exactly, and not somwhere in the middle east either. If you're gonna play a warm-up to AO, do Adelaide and/or Kooyong. since they're both RR, you'll get a few matches in, and already be in Australia, so you dont need to have a long flight. :shrug:

of course, in India, Rafa is a cult, like marat on MTF, but thats another story :p

He's really popular in India?? I had no idea...

tipstar
01-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Not sure about Nadal but Roger played 1 exo last year right right after TMC. :shrug:

It was against Nadal in South Korea.

Back to the topic, as a Melbourne resident I believe that the end of January is probably the best time for the Australian Open. As Magical Trevor has pointed out, these two weeks coincide with the last weeks of the school holidays. If the tournament was to be held in March or April, attendances would be much lower and people will be less inclined to go as there is also the Formula 1 Grand Prix and the Moomba festival happening at the same time.

RonE
01-11-2007, 06:38 AM

I thought cows were sacred in India. I had no idea pigs had a similair status there :p

CmonAussie
01-11-2007, 06:45 AM
I thought cows were sacred in India. I had no idea pigs had a similair status there :p

:rolleyes:
Why do you continue to call Rafa a pig:confused:
Rafa`s got huge biceps~ so that makes him a pig:confused:
Rafa`s game is different from Federer`s~ so that makes Nadal a pig:wavey:

Can`t we be respectful about all players.. even if they`re not our favourite;)

aussie_fan
01-11-2007, 06:55 AM
It shouldn't be moved. January is the perfect time for AO, right during school holidays, just after the test cricket is finished and Tennis does actually become the main focus in melbourne. It would seriously damage AO if it was moved from this date, the season should finish eariler.

Langers
01-11-2007, 07:40 AM
I like it in January and an early start to the season. Plus January is a time when a lot of people are on holidays and the crowds are quite large. Moving it wouldn't be too successful IMO. I would simply finish the season earlier.

nobama
01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
It was against Nadal in South Korea.
I know that. I meant I don't know how many exos Nadal played last year. Still I'm not convinced greed is the cause of player injuries.

nobama
01-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure if moving the AO back is a good idea. As it is at the moment, the AO finishes at the same time as the school holidays, so they get really fantastic attendances.

If it's moved further back, most kids won't really get to watch any of the tennis. Unless it's moved about 3 months back to the Easter break.Moving it forward a month or two is not good for Australia and Aussie fans but a lot of players would probably like to see it happen. That's the problem with trying to fix the schedule. Too many different interested parties and no one can agree on the way forward.

CmonAussie
01-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Moving it forward a month or two is not good for Australia and Aussie fans but a lot of players would probably like to see it happen. That's the problem with trying to fix the schedule. Too many different interested parties and no one can agree on the way forward.

;)
I think one extra week is a fair compromise:cool:
So tournies like Adelaide, Chennai & Doha begin January 7~10th
~ Sydney, Kooyong & Auckland on begin January 14~17th
~ AO beginning around the 21-24th & continuing for a week into February;)
That way the AO still gets a week of school holidays where all the children can come & watch their heroes before the summer holidays end

*The AO organising commitee decided to move it forward a week for 2007 two years ago but then changed their minds again [that was dumb:sad: ]

#With this schedule Federer could arrive in AUS by the end of the 2nd week in January & extend his holidays a bit... If the TMC was in October then he`d get even more time:cool:

Polikarpov
01-11-2007, 12:32 PM
I don't have problem with AO's sked.

I do have with RG's sked though. For me, they should make it earlier so that there could be more lead-up tourneys to Wimby.

Mateya
01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
hmmm...it should be in february or a week or two later from now :)

RG and Wimby are really to close each other :rolleyes:

Rosebud
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
hmmm...it should be in february or a week or two later from now :)

RG and Wimby are really to close each other :rolleyes:
I think it would be wrong to move it closer to the French and Wimbledon. Personally i'm in favour of keeping the position of these last two on the calendar exactly like it is now, so that the achievement of winning the FO/SW19 double will remain as difficult as it was before. But moving the Oz closer to them would serve no purpose.
I like it in January and an early start to the season. Plus January is a time when a lot of people are on holidays and the crowds are quite large. Moving it wouldn't be too successful IMO. I would simply finish the season earlier.I agree and I thought so does the ATP. Don't know if anyone remembers this from January last year: http://www.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsID=296955&itype=&iCategoryID=

Geniey2g
01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
yeah lets give players more time to get hurt before AO :yeah:
lol exactly

I think Fed was being a bit unrealistic with March (!) Feb maybe, but not March.

Magus13
01-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I would love to make hundreds of thousands of dollars, even millions to play tennis and travel the world. I feel this way about all sports. They are gifted athletes and great talents but we all know people who work alot harder for alot less money and recognition than these athletes. Proper conditioning and a sensible schedule will help alot of injuries. Some injuries will happen no matter what. Play tennis and enjoy. Tht'a my opinion on the subject.

t0x
01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Jan is good...

It's the end of the season that needs work really... look at the withdrawals from Paris the past 2 years. Just cut a few weeks off the end of the season, and then the players get more break for the AO without moving it.

Also wouldn't mind an extra week between RG-SW19

jazar
01-11-2007, 08:36 PM
although january is a good time, i think only 2 weeks of the season before it isnt enough time to prepare. if it was to be moved it should only be moved back at the most 2 weeks

Eden
01-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Federer, Safin Admit Tennis Schedule A Shambles

Roger Federer and Marat Safin, the last two men to win the Australian Open, said Sunday that change could be good for the crowded tennis calendar.

But both the current and a former number 1 disagree on exactly what tweaking to the schedule might best satisfy the various - and often feuding - tennis constituencies.

Federer didn't back down on his suggestion of earlier in the week that the Australian Open might be slipped until March form it's current date.

But upon further questioning Sunday, the day before the start of the year's first major, the top seed said that he didn't envision making that event the season start.

The current occupiers of March time slots, the Masters Series events in the US, could perhaps be moved to February, he said.

Meanwhile Safin, 2005 champion at Melbourne Park, said that any lightening of the 11-month-long calendar would be welcome.

"There's a lot of things that could be changed, a lot of speculation," said the Russian. "I finished the year in the first first week of December," said the member of the Davis Cup-champion team.

"Then I start against in January. It's a little bit short time for us to rest and get ready for the next season.

"I don't know if it's the right thing to change the Australian Open. Maybe move the Davis Cup (final) a little bit the week earlier straight after the Masters in Shanghai (in November).

"But definitely would be great for the players to have a little bit more time. It would be ideal to have a little more time, but it's not up to me."

Federer who will not play again after Australia until he travels to Dubai in late February, called the close season "maybe a little short."

"The only way to really get that longer is to move the Australian Open," said the two-time champion. "But I didn't say that to start something.

"The schedule will always be a mess, We'll never be able to figure that one out. And I'm okay with this one right now."

Source: http://www.playfuls.com/news_0000005790_Federer_Safin_Admit_Tennis_Schedul e_A_Shambles.html

croat123
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
1. you only have to play the gs and tms events + 5 optionals...i think that is totally reasonable
2. reworking the schedule would be a disaster
3. having more than a month without tennis would suck :p