Interview with Seb after losing to Coria [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Interview with Seb after losing to Coria

Sammy
03-17-2004, 07:45 AM
Hey people! I got this off the Pacific life open website. Good to hear he's feeling well! Next time Seb!!!

SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Sebastien.
Q. What was the key to the match today?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: My serve maybe. You know, I was serving very well for almost two sets, and after, you know, I didn't have a good percentage in my first serve. Guillermo played more aggressive than me. That was maybe the key, you know, my serve.

Q. Was fatigue at all a factor in the last set?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: No, no fatigue. I mean, he was playing better and better, moving very well. You know, I didn't have a short ball after my first serve. So I was less aggressive in the third set than in the two first.

Q. This is the first time you played him. What do you like about his game? What does he do well?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: He's moving very well. He has a really good backhand. I think he has a better backhand than forehand - especially down the line. You know, he's fight very well, moving very well. If you give him a short ball, you know, he can be aggressive, as well.

Q. You're part of almost a new breed of player, it seems, very versatile tennis being played by people like yourself, Roger, others. A few years the thinking was that the game was going to be dominated by big guys banging the ball around. Can you comment why this development has happened now?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: I think is good, you know, to see different style of the game. Everybody, you know, can play well and win big events. So I think it's good for the game, for the public, as well, to see different styles.
You know, but sometimes better for the public to see different games against.

Q. Was it something you worked on consciously? Did you feel you needed all these tools or was it just that you had all these tools and you kept practicing and they got better and better?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: No, you know, you have to practice. But it was my way, you know, I was playing when I was young. So I keep practicing that way and try to improve, you know, my serve, my game more aggressive, I would say.
But you have to keep, you know, practicing the way you think is good for you.

Q. I saw Coria play Max Mirnyi, big guy, big serve. He handled that well. He handled your power, too. What makes him able to handle these bigger players? Is it just his speed?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: I think he's returning very well. He has a good return. And you have always to play one more shot, always put the ball, you know, back when he's in defense. So that's tough. The other guy, you have always one more shot to finish the point. So it's never easy.
You know, when he has an opportunity, he can, you know, hit the ball hard and come to the net, as well. He can play, you know, from the both side.

Q. You had some tough times in recent months with injuries. How are you feeling now? How do you feel compared to two years ago when you had the big year and reached the final of the Masters?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: I feel pretty good. Unfortunately, I was injured at the Australian Open again. I took like five weeks off. You know, I tried to play maybe less tournament than I used to play, like around 18, 20, and tried to play a hundred percent each tournament I would play.
No, I feel pretty good. I'm really happy to play without injury.

Q. What would be your goal for this year?
SEBASTIEN GROSJEAN: French Open, of course, yeah. Win the French (smiling).

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

Sammy
03-17-2004, 07:47 AM
How sweet is that last answer. :) I'd love to go to the French Open this year! Would love to! What dates is it on?

Says Sammy who's starting to think it could actually happen. lol.

ubrunjensen
03-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Oh, what a great interview! And it's in English! I can just picture him smile his sweet, shy smile when saying, in a soft low voice, that he would love to win the French Open! So he didn't beat Coria, and it's always a disappointment to me when he loses, but at least he's feeling good and he's injury-free, at long last. Coria isn't the worst man he could lose against. Thank God, he won't get a dressing down by Agassi yet again! LOL

esther
03-17-2004, 08:14 AM
i want to hear how he says guillermo!! lool
i'm surprised they actually interviewed him at all in english...but thats cool!

better luck in miami seb! but the main thing is that he IS back and feeling good again :D

Alison
03-17-2004, 08:34 AM
I followed the match on the scoreboard.Very frustrating!

Good to hear he's feeling fit and injury free :)

wilma
03-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Good to see that they noticed him after all at the Pacific website! Shame he lost and better luck next time!

ALLEZ SEB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lizan
03-17-2004, 02:55 PM
In this interview he said "you know" 18 times lol.. it's funny :)

Marine
03-17-2004, 03:00 PM
The "you know' is a way to mind to the next sentence he had to make... (how to win time...good idea Seb LOL)

ubrunjensen
03-17-2004, 03:31 PM
18 times??? I know he says "you know" a lot, but still, 18 times - that's incredible! But he can do no wrong, I think it's sweet the way he says "you know" - even if it is only because he wants to win a little extra time before saying the next sentence!

Sammy
03-17-2004, 08:56 PM
And they've also got a photo up of him from yesterdays match. :)

I can't link it here, I'm not sure how. I'll try this: http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/10/players/gallery/

otherwise just go to the www.pacificlifeopen.com and click on players and then photos. :)

Sammy
03-17-2004, 08:57 PM
The first link works!

ubrunjensen
03-18-2004, 07:08 AM
He looks like he can't believe it's true he lost out to Coria! But white is a good colour on him, as always, and I'm pleased that he's among the players on the photo list - sometimes I really think they ignore him on purpose, just to annoy me!
So thanks a lot for the link, Sammy!

esther
03-18-2004, 09:27 AM
LOL @ the 18 you knows...he's catching up to JC!!!!!! lol thats such a cute theory that he just says it to get more time haha

zyim333
03-18-2004, 10:44 AM
i 'm afraid we should not feel surprised to c that his pix or interview are on the list. that's natural coz we are all confident of him ,arent we?
:)
better luck in miami!

Marine
03-18-2004, 04:49 PM
thats such a cute theory that he just says it to get more time haha

...yes, it's better than "euhhhh" between each word ! (what i use to do)

esther
03-20-2004, 11:36 PM
i have to say euhhh when i cant think of what i want to say in french!!! what else can i say to the equivalent of 'you know'?! lol

Peta Pan
03-21-2004, 12:56 PM
LOL I have always whinged about people who say 'you know' constantly... because honestly it annoys me! I'm always saying "No, I DON'T know because you are the one telling the story!!!!!"

It is only in the last few months that I've realised that Seb and Juan Carlos are two of the worst offenders :p

I'll have to, you know, get over my annoyance I guess ;)

Marine
03-21-2004, 09:54 PM
Off topic:

I found this link somewhere, it doesn't remind me nothing, and you ? :confused:
It's a video of last september in Paris, the "making of" of an interview, Seb laughing instead of being serious, because of the camerman, quite funny...lol

tsp://a1966.r.akareal.net/ondemand/7/1966/1914/V001/sporever.download.akamai.com/1914/video/tennis/rencontre.rm

Marine
03-21-2004, 10:01 PM
opps, sorry, thr good link... rtsp://a1966.r.akareal.net/ondemand/7/1966/1914/V001/sporever.download.akamai.com/1914/video/tennis/rencontre.rm

wilma
03-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Ah, lovely, Marine. Thanks! So, is he messing things up? I don't understand what they're joking about.