If your favorite player retired tomorrow [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If your favorite player retired tomorrow

WyveN
03-17-2004, 06:01 AM
If your favorite player retired tomorrow would you still watch tennis?

Just interested.

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 06:06 AM
Yes, of course I still enjoy the game and my all time faves have retired and I am still watching it.

It's great to see all the changes to the game over the years whether they have been good or bad.

CmonAussie
03-17-2004, 06:10 AM
Yeah as you know my favourite is Hewitt & his passion for the game and undiminishable gutsy spirit certainly raised my interest in tennis dramatically over the last 5-years..
*However I've been following Tennis more closely than any other sport since I was 8-years old in 1986; then I saw the Aussie's beat Sweden in the Davis Cup Final live-->> since then I've alwasy considered tennis the ultimate sport.
###
So to answer your question~~ YES!!! Ofcourse I'd still follow this fantastic game even if Lleyton decided to do a Hingis & retire early. There's always someone exciting coming along(eg.Nadal) who makes tennis intriguing, however the worst years were probably when Sampras dominated >> so if Federer manages a similiar level of winning 14majors then the boredom factor could set in(:>

claudine140
03-17-2004, 06:12 AM
i would not follow the tennis as much as now, maybe only on television, but not on internet anymore

lsy
03-17-2004, 06:15 AM
Must you ask such an intriguing question, WyverN???

If my favourite is retiring on "natural cause", I'm sure I'll be but your question of saying retiring tomorrow...I probably will be too devastated with whatever reason Rogi has to retire tomorrow *touching wood while saying this* to watch tennis for a while. Besides I'm still at an initial stage of developing more interest in this game at this moment.

*Ljubica*
03-17-2004, 06:28 AM
I've been following tennis since I was a little girl, so yes I would, although of course I'd be upset, especially if the retirement was forced early by injuries instead of coming at the end of a long career. I admit it would probably take me a while to regain the level of interest and commitment that I have now - for instance, - no matter how hard I try I can't really get into this Indian Wells tournament without David playing, - but tennis is bigger than any one player so there are always great and interesting new stars coming up to follow.

Chloe le Bopper
03-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Of course. For one thing, I have many many favourites, and for another, I cant watch and enjoy matches where none of them are playing, so I don't think it would be much of a problem ;)

If say, Ferrero retired tomorrow, I don't think I would care much. He did most of the things he wanted to do already.

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Of course. For one thing, I have many many favourites, and for another, I cant watch and enjoy matches where none of them are playing, so I don't think it would be much of a problem ;)

If say, Ferrero retired tomorrow, I don't think I would care much. He did most of the things he wanted to do already.

JCF hasn't asked you out yet has he rebecca? Then again maybe you don't want that.

Chloe le Bopper
03-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Oh, I'm way too good for him anyways, GHW!

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Sorry for my insolence Rebecca.

Chloe le Bopper
03-17-2004, 09:31 AM
It's okay. Next time you'll know.

rogicomel
03-17-2004, 09:32 AM
I can't even think about it! It will be a nightmare.

FanOfHewitt
03-17-2004, 10:30 AM
My interest in tennis has ebbed and flowed over the years depending on whether I've had a favourite or not to support at the time. Initially I liked Edberg and loved watching Yannick Noah play with his acrobatic volleying. I started losing interest in tennis as Sampras started dominating and didnt really have a favourite all through the period of his reign. My interest in tennis got re-ignited when I noticed a skinny little kid fighting like mad and taking it up to all the bigger guys. I just fell in love with his passion and his ability to will himself over seemingly insurmountable obstacles. If Hewitt retired tomorrow I'd still follow the sport, but not with the zeal with which I do now, that is of course unless I find someone I really like to barrack for.

Lisbeth
03-17-2004, 11:01 AM
absolutely - did before and will after!

amethyst
03-17-2004, 01:30 PM
I was no tennis fan before Guga, but he really made me love tennis and I will surely follow it after he´s retired.

WyveN
03-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Interesting responces.

I know someone who started watching tennis due to Sampras back in 1990. After religiously following tennis for 13 years, he quit altogether in 2002 following Pete's retirement.

The person could probably tell you anything you needed to know about tennis during the 1990s but does not know who won the 2004 AO.

Yonge
03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
If Tim retired tomorrow, I'd be extremely disappointed but I'd still watch, follow, and play tennis. And have new favourites.

Mrs. B
03-17-2004, 03:17 PM
been watching it long before my current fave came along, so i'll be shocked if he retired tomorrow, but there are also other good players around, so i'll still be following it, mainly cuz i really enjoy this game.

Deboogle!.
03-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes of course!! As others have said because I've watched tennis all my life in some capacity, plus I'm really starting to get into, and learn about, the more day-to-day tennis things now and I'm loving it and having a great time absorbing it all. Plus again as others have said, I have more than one fave :)

Leo
03-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Yes.

Billabong
03-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah definitely! Like Rebecca, I have many faves so I would still watch them:D!

Deboogle!.
03-17-2004, 03:54 PM
I see we have another adorable little kid in an avatar. Mrs. B, who is that?

jtipson
03-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Yes....although there was a time in the 90s when I did effectively stop watching tennis (apart from Wimbledon), with all my old favs retired and Agassi in his *dip*.

Wouldn't it be terrible though, if one of the top guys suddenly decided they'd had enough, and just quit, at say, 26, like Borg?

Leo
03-17-2004, 04:02 PM
I see we have another adorable little kid in an avatar. Mrs. B, who is that?

It's little Roger. :lol: How cute.

Deboogle!.
03-17-2004, 04:10 PM
It's little Roger. :lol: How cute.

awwwww so we've had cute Roger, uber-cute Guille, cute Andre, and cute Andy. Who's got another one?

merle
03-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Yes, sure I would still follow tennis as I am not an obsessed fan of one player. I also have many faves and enjoy the game too much to quit. :tennis:

Shadow
03-17-2004, 04:19 PM
awwwww so we've had cute Roger, uber-cute Guille, cute Andre, and cute Andy. Who's got another one?

http://www.theguyfromrussia.com/photogal/1maratbaby.jpg
http://www.safinator.com/images/446011maratbabysmall.jpg

Shadow
03-17-2004, 04:22 PM
It would be a big shock and Tennis would never ever be the same again, but of course i would still follow Tennis because i simply love the game and i have many other favs as well.

Mrs. B
03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Knuddel, is that lil Marat?

lol at your sig about Roger's comment about Marat. :lol:

Shadow
03-17-2004, 04:31 PM
yes, its lil Marat :)

Deboogle!.
03-17-2004, 05:20 PM
awwwwwwww cute little Marat, he was a pudgy lil thing!

Nymeria
03-17-2004, 06:09 PM
I've watched tennis almost my whole life, so I would still watch tennis if Roger stops playing.

TheBoiledEgg
03-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Edberg retired along time ago and i'm even more into tennis now (mainly cos of more TV coverage)

Angelito
03-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Of course, I love watching tennis even when David isn't playing.

joske
03-17-2004, 08:42 PM
I'd jump off a bridge.. :lol:

But I'd still watch in Heaven of course ;)

MisterQ
03-17-2004, 08:51 PM
I'd jump off a bridge.. :lol:

But I'd still watch in Heaven of course ;)

:lol:

Do they get the Tennis Channel in heaven yet?

WyveN
03-17-2004, 09:18 PM

Do they get the Tennis Channel in heaven yet?

not sure, but I know ESPN broadcasts in hell

LCeh
03-17-2004, 09:27 PM

:haha: Good one. :worship:

Fedex
03-18-2004, 01:09 AM
:lol: :lol:
If Roger or David retired, i would sorrowly miss them, but i would get on. I've delt with the retirements of Edberg, and Sampras,(2 of my all time favorites) so i have certainly delt with it before. Of course, i fear Andre may retire soon, and that will be a big loss for everyone :sad: But actually, i think he just enjoys the game, and wants to still win majors. They said Andre is a guy in contention for challenging Federer for the top spot in the rankings, but i dont think being #1 motivates Andre anymore.

rassklovn
03-18-2004, 01:15 AM
Yes of course I will follow the match, no one player is bigger than the game and when my faves retire, there are always other players that I will enjoy watching and will keep my interest in the game.

Havok
03-18-2004, 01:23 AM
yeah, but it might take me a few days getting over the fact that my fave player just retired :scared:

MisterQ
03-18-2004, 03:09 AM

Touché!

:yeah:

Kristen
03-18-2004, 03:34 AM
Well, if Jonas retired due to injury I'd be upset, but still proud of him, for his attitude and achievements in singles and doubles(esp DC). If it was just because it was his time, and he was 33 etc, that'd be okay with me. I asked him in Sydney and he thinks he still has 2 good years left in him so I should have a while to go.

:cool: I think it makes it easier when you're favourite is married, has a cute son and you sort of expect them to settle down. I see Jonas in a whole new light now that Max is here. I'm definitely content with what I've seen from Jonas to this day. He got me into this sport, I've seen him at his worst (Sargsian-AO-04) and best (Scud/Woodie-DC-04) so I have no qualms.

Besides, you see how Jarkko is my avatar? Well, I refer to him as the apprentice. This means he's a very close #2 behind Jonas, so when Jonas hangs up the racquet, I'll be focussing my attention on Jarkko, which should maintain my enthusiasm for the game for another 7 years or so :) Good grief I'll be thirty by then... ah well... GO SWEDES!!! :worship:

Masto22
03-18-2004, 04:56 AM
Yes, sure, why not? I follow Agustín Calleri since 1999 and before it I enjoy tennis...

Action Jackson
05-14-2006, 11:33 AM
One of my faves hasn't officially announced his retirement, but it's only a matter of time due to injuries and the like.

Sure I will miss him, but the game has moved forward and I will just remember the good moments like the Rome final in 2003.

Ferrero Forever
05-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah of course I'd still watch it. When I'm watching tennis it's like nothing else thats happening around me matters. When I'm watching JC i just get extremely emotional. I really have no idea who my next favourite would be, I've been trying to keep an eye on how Serguei Tarasevitch is going, so if he can make the breakthrough into regular ATP matches I'd probably end up following him. If not there are many others I like. Tennis rocks.

flip_fan
05-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Great question... one that i will be seriously thinking about if mark has a bad grass season... I dont think my interest in tennis would be as intense, because no other player interests me as much as Mark... i certainly wouldnt stay up late to watch live matches or sit at my computer and watch live scores for any other player. But i will still enjoy the game in general. I love watching safin and nadal play so when mark retires those two would have to be my new favs...

stebs
05-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Great question... one that i will be seriously thinking about if mark has a bad grass season... I dont think my interest in tennis would be as intense, because no other player interests me as much as Mark... i certainly wouldnt stay up late to watch live matches or sit at my computer and watch live scores for any other player. But i will still enjoy the game in general. I love watching safin and nadal play so when mark retires those two would have to be my new favs...
I read this post and just wondered something.

I can see why you support Flip if your country flag is correct. I can also see why you might support Safin, Berdych and Haas as it says in your sig, they are all similar players. May I ask what drew you to Nadal? I only wonder because the other players you support have similar styles, Nadal does not share this.

betterthanhenman
05-14-2006, 12:49 PM

Just interested.

What a joke of a question.

Peta Pan
05-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Besides, you see how Jarkko is my avatar? Well, I refer to him as the apprentice. This means he's a very close #2 behind Jonas, so when Jonas hangs up the racquet, I'll be focussing my attention on Jarkko
Hmm maybe you should return Jarkko to your avatar ;) :drool:

I might hold you to this comment and remind you about it. It of course means that you'll have to drop Oliver down to #3 I'm sorry :p

Peta Pan
05-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Anyway, what would I do?

Well Andrei is practically retired anyway... and if Ivan retired I guess I'd have to turn most of my attention to Jarkko! But I would be very sad!

I certainly wouldn't stop following tennis!

The Pro
05-14-2006, 01:15 PM
What a joke of a question.

It's called making conversation. The general idea of discussion forums.

Why do people have to be so bloody rude?

If Nadal lost both his big toes in a freak accident I would be gutted, but still watch. But men's tennis a lot less.

Kristen
05-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Hmm maybe you should return Jarkko to your avatar ;) :drool:

I might hold you to this comment and remind you about it. It of course means that you'll have to drop Oliver down to #3 I'm sorry :p
Shoosh, you! :ras:
In the world of Kristen, Oliver didn't exist until last January. I have evolved since 2004. Some might say devolved, but yeah, I do feel bad for ;putting Jarkko in =3rd, but these things happen *cough*look.how.quickly.jarkko.got.to.your.signatu res.top.row*cough* :kiss::hug::wavey:

Also, if Jonas retired, I could completely focus on Oli and not feel bad about it (til Peta reminds me of Jarkko ;)).

Kat!
05-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Also, if Jonas retired, I could completely focus on Oli and not feel bad about it (til Peta reminds me of Jarkko ;)).

:lol: poor Jarkko :hug:

Well, for me it's not very different from everyone else - I have since "acquired" a few other favourites besides JCF, and I enjoy going to tournaments because of all the embarrassing moments. :p

peacechick
05-14-2006, 01:34 PM
of course I would still watch tennis, Id be different but there are many good players out there and there would still be good tennis matches to watch

llama
05-14-2006, 01:37 PM
With Agassi gone for so long, I'm getting a taste of that. But yes, of course, I'd still watch - I don't think I could live without tennis. But at the moment, it just doesn't have the same excitement for me. Guess I'll have to get use to that pretty soon. But, then, there's always Safin...

flip_fan
05-14-2006, 02:10 PM
I read this post and just wondered something.

I can see why you support Flip if your country flag is correct. I can also see why you might support Safin, Berdych and Haas as it says in your sig, they are all similar players. May I ask what drew you to Nadal? I only wonder because the other players you support have similar styles, Nadal does not share this.

Nadal is definately the odd man out in terms of playing style.. i'm very much a fan of big hitters/servers... but nadal is just so exciting to watch! A combination of power, speed and emotion... and he's not bad looking either ;)

Kristen
05-14-2006, 02:12 PM
I always imagined Jonas would be the first to go. I was used to the injuries Alex Popp had, and the results off grass, but wasn't prepared for his retirement. (I know how stupid it sounds). When it happened, I realised how important the other guys were...the ones who keep me interested in tennis-Vinciguerra and Marach.

Popp is probably part of the reason Oli is an important player for me. Knowing that he wouldn't be at the Aus Open, apart from being :sad: it made me take more notice of the other guys. All of a sudden losing a match seems like the least of a fans worries.

Peta Pan
05-14-2006, 03:27 PM
I cried when Andrei Pavel walked off the court after his 1st round doubles loss at the AO this year... I kinda got the feeling it would probably be his last AO and I wouldn't get to see him play again. I was really upset about it at the time, but since then I've really tried to get a bigger interest in my other favourites and my liking of Ljubo has increased in the process. I also aquired a few new favourites like Jarkko and Beto :)

Peta Pan
05-14-2006, 03:41 PM
*cough*look.how.quickly.jarkko.got.to.your.signatu res.top.row*cough* :kiss::hug::wavey:

I have been admiring from afar since January, so when he entered my signature it was easier to get promoted straight to the top row :ras: ;) :p

Black Adam
05-14-2006, 04:22 PM
That's why I have many favorite players and the odds of them all retiring are pretty small.
Anyway there will be always a player whom you like his game or attitude so there is no need to stop watching the game and only watch tapes of your fave's matches.

Kristen
05-14-2006, 04:26 PM
I cried when Andrei Pavel walked off the court after his 1st round doubles loss at the AO this year...I had to refrain myself from doing that when I found out about Popp :sad: It helped that Melzers coach told me...at a Melzer match. I didn't want to look too depressed or maybe he might think I thought he was crap (which he was, on the day).

I wonder what Andrei would do after tennis :scratch:

celcius
05-14-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't think I would be as obsessed.
I would never stop watching tennis because I started watching it before I really got into the sport and discovered my favorite players. I watch other sports (just started watching soccer) even without having favorite players. Not only does tennis have my favorite athletes, but it also is one of my favorite sports.

Broomie
05-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I'd be pretty bummed for sure. Something like freaking out for a few days and thinking about them quite often for a bit. But as some others said, it has already happened to me before (sampras), but it would be the 1st time with a player I would have followed the whole career (safin). I'd have to get used to it.
I love tennis, but it is so much better when your heart is beating faster in front of the TV I think. But eventually I'd find many other players to root for I hope.

purple_star
05-14-2006, 07:27 PM
i would still watch tennis but definitely much lesser as i do now.i dont think i would still be able to follow rankings and results religiously... :)

Neely
05-14-2006, 08:10 PM
... then I would follow my 2nd favourite player

lilfairyprincess
05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
...i would be pretty devastated but i love the game too much to stop watching it altogether..ther will always be another player who wil lcome along and be my "new favourite" :)

Action Jackson
06-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Mantilla is still going fortunately, but I have had many faves retire some cause of injuries and others because it was their time.

The game moves on and like I said I remember the good times from them and not worry too much when they to retire, it's a natural progression.

Forehander
06-08-2007, 05:23 AM
When Sebastien Grosjean retires I will cry im pretty sure. He's always been an inspiration to my tennis and my form of tennis is a second version of his (except for the backhand lol). His forehand is an absolute wonder and surely one of the best on tour though alot of people may not agree with me.

martine2
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
As I'm not a "teenager" myself anymore :o , most of my favs are among the older ones on tour (Moya, Calleri, Willy,...) and a day will come when they retire :sobbing:

But then there sure will be others to cheer for.

Only thing that makes me sad is now you are so used to hearing from them almost every day and after they retire, they seem to disappear.

W!MBLEDON
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
If your favorite player retired tomorrow

Of course I would. I mean, most people got into tennis BEFORE they started dubbing someone 'their favourite player'. I watch, enjoy and play tennis because... well, it's tennis, not because of my favourite player.

Puschkin
06-08-2007, 10:59 AM
I have been watching tennis for a long time. Favourite players have come and gone. It will always be like that. The game itself is just too good. :D

wenty
06-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I would still follow tennis, but not with as much passion as I would at the present moment. Btw, two of my favourites are quite close to retiring I think :sobbing:

Kolya
06-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I would have to find a new favourite.

Most of my favourite players ever have retired :(

Sean.J.S.
06-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Just interested.

My favourite player has already retired, and yes I do still watch tennis just as much. ;)

Oliboyz
06-08-2007, 11:41 AM
... then I would follow my 2nd favourite player

me too .... i have lots of my favourite. btw, i like to watch the good match although without my favourite play anyway. :)