Players You Want To See In Nadal's Half Of The AO Draw? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Players You Want To See In Nadal's Half Of The AO Draw?

Jaffas85
01-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Which players would you really be interested to see in Nadal's part of the upcoming Australian Open Draw?

In no particular order I hope he could potentially encounter the following players:

- Tomas Berdych *Because Berdych has the sort of game Nadal cannot handle and also because they despise each other*.

- James Blake *Same reason but I don't think theres any hate betwix them*

- Richard Gasquet

- Andy Murray

- Novak Djokovic *Nadal would prolly beat Both Murray and Djokovic but an encounter would be very interesting*.

- Xavier Malisse *basically just because of their recent Chennai encounter*

- Dmitry Tursunov *He played very well at the Hopman Cup and I'd like to see that hard hitting play against Nadal*

And of course Andy Roddick and Marat Safin *I don't think Nadal and Safin have ever played have they?*.

If only 2 of these players are in Nadal's part of the draw I very much doubt that we'll see another Federer-Nadal encounter.

Allure
01-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Berdych
Gasquet
Roddick
Safin

its.like.that
01-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Nalbandian

deliveryman
01-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Roddick
Safin
Davydenko
Blake
Berdych
Gasquet

oz_boz
01-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Gasquet - just to see if he can really challenge Nadal even on a faster court. I seriously doubt that, at least yet.

Nalbandian - same reason.

Davydenko - they had a nice match in TMS, and a match in AO could very well be a five setter. I'd give the slight edge to Nadal also in this one, but I'd be very happy if Kolya could laser himself all the way to the win.

PHM - with his head on it could be a very entertaining match.

Hewitt - Lleyton winning the first set and getting outgunned by Nadal in the next three.

Ljubo - Ivan to lose in five sets after taking the first two in a convincing manner. :p

Berdych - winning his 10th five setter of 10 against an inspired Rafa in the SF.

Karlovic - straightsetting Nadal 3 * 7-6 with 55 aces and 44 unreturnables :lol: Not that it would happen, but it would be too funny.

Safin, Roddick and Malisse - neither of them in self-destruction mode - I'd much rather see on Fed's half.

RonE
01-10-2007, 09:37 AM
All the players mentioned by the threadstarter- and also throw in Pim Pim and perhaps Youzhny just for the sake of it.

RonE
01-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Nalbandian

Yes him too although I don't think he has what it takes in between his ears to overcome Nadal. His serve is vulnerable so he won't be getting too many cheap points and will have to engage in many rallies- not an ideal position to be in with Rafa on the other side of the net.

Jaffas85
01-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Youzhny.

LilyRoseAva
01-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Gasquet

Jaffas85
01-10-2007, 09:49 AM
The main draw is released 12pm Melbourne time Friday right?

Halba
01-10-2007, 10:01 AM
nadal's gonna get smoked

CooCooCachoo
01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Berdych. Please.

Oh and first round against Vicente. Then he is out :D

scarecrows
01-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Nalbandian
Safin
berdych

refero*fervens
01-10-2007, 10:58 AM
What evil potential deathlists :eek: How could anyone be subjected to such a fate?

OTOH, I do like the look of Jaffas85's picks. Very interesting matches there, provided their heads are not sold separately...can't wait for the draw... :p

ljubicic_
01-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Murray

ljubicic_
01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
and Ancic

*julie*
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Safin, Malisse, Gasquet, Berdych.

But not PHM... please! He needs a good and easy draw to defend his points.

richie21
01-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Gasquet - just to see if he can really challenge Nadal even on a faster court. I seriously doubt that, at least yet.

basing on their respective results on hard courts for the last 6 months,i don t understand how you can doubt that Gasquet can challenge Nadal on hard court....:o

MrJ
01-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Anyone one the young guns, Djorkovic, Murray, or Gasquet!! :) Nalbandian, Safin and Roddick will also be interesting since he has not played them.

marcelwks
01-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Karlovic

MilMilCho
01-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Just want to him to have a kind of draw he had in last year's Wimbledon:p

buzz
01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
apart from the mentioned,

guccione, i feel sorry for him he didn't get a chance after he thought he would get one..

stepanek, although he is 0-4 against Nadal

Joyce_23
01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
The first one I can think of is Nalbandian since I'm still waiting for that match to finally happen. It would also mean that Nalbo is not on Fed's side of the draw for a change. :) Next to that I want Moya on his side of the draw, I always enjoy those matches because of the obvious respect that Rafa has for him. Something that always shows in the matches they play.

silverarrows
01-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Blake, Safin, Nalbandian, Berdych, Gasquet, Roddick

vamos rafa! :p

prock
01-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Roddick.

Frufru
01-10-2007, 12:46 PM
When I checked last year AO draw, #2 had following seeds:
#4, #7, #8 and #10. This would mean Ljubo, Robredo, Nalby and Gonzalez. Much more importantly,#13 as well. And guess who is #13 - Berdych. If I am right, he is very likely to play with #2 seed in 4th round ( :wavey: :wavey: Nadal). Furthermore his ranking is about 200 points away from overtaking Haas at #12 so it is unlikely that his ranking will change after Sydney.

Go Birdman, tear Nadal's arse apart there!!!

Puschkin
01-10-2007, 01:16 PM
The first one I can think of is Nalbandian since I'm still waiting for that match to finally happen.

Marat, for the same reason.

t0x
01-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I'd like to see him play Roddick, Karlovic & Tursunov.

I suppose I'd throw his good friends Blake & Berdych in his part of the draw also ;)

~Jin~
01-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Nalbandian, Blake, Berdych.

Brego
01-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Anyone one the young guns, Djorkovic, Murray, or Gasquet!! :) Nalbandian, Safin and Roddick will also be interesting since he has not played them.

He has played Roddick. Their H2H is 1-1. It still will be interesting to see as they haven't played since 2004.

ATP, Davis Cup and Grand Slam Main Draw Results

2004 ESP v. USA DC Final
Seville, Spain Clay RR Nadal 6-7(6) 6-2 7-6(6) 6-2

2004 US Open
NY, U.S.A. Hard R64 Roddick 6-0 6-3 6-4

TMJordan
01-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Gooch
Safin
PimPim
Ljubo
Berdych
Karlovic

Do they have anything in common?

RickDaStick
01-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Tursunov would play Rafa off the court. Nothing against Nadal with this comment but i dont see him going too far this year because he doesnt look like hes in good form and there are just so many guys who can beat him that surely he will get one or two of them fairly early in the draw.

Byrd
01-10-2007, 04:34 PM
anyone with a power game

richie21
01-10-2007, 04:39 PM
i would look forward to see a Gasquet-Nadal match :)
all their matches have been on clay until now so it would be interesting to have this match on hard court for once.

Peoples
01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Which players would you really be interested to see in Nadal's part of the upcoming Australian Open Draw?

In no particular order I hope he could potentially encounter the following players:

- Tomas Berdych *Because Berdych has the sort of game Nadal cannot handle and also because they despise each other*.

- James Blake *Same reason but I don't think theres any hate betwix them*

- Richard Gasquet

- Andy Murray

- Novak Djokovic *Nadal would prolly beat Both Murray and Djokovic but an encounter would be very interesting*.

- Xavier Malisse *basically just because of their recent Chennai encounter*

- Dmitry Tursunov *He played very well at the Hopman Cup and I'd like to see that hard hitting play against Nadal*

And of course Andy Roddick and Marat Safin *I don't think Nadal and Safin have ever played have they?*.

If only 2 of these players are in Nadal's part of the draw I very much doubt that we'll see another Federer-Nadal encounter.
+Youzhny
Otherwise good list of chefs there. Australia is more known for its beef but I'm sure a foreign chef will roast that pig even there pretty well.

prock
01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
+Youzhny
Otherwise good list of chefs there. Australia is more known for its beef but I'm sure a foreign chef will roast that pig even there pretty well.

Sorry for the :topic: question, but why the pig references re Nadal?

DrJules
01-10-2007, 07:04 PM
1st round: Joachim Johansson
2nd round: Ivo Karlovic
3rd round: Marat Safin
4th round: Tomas Berdych
Quarter final: James Blake
Semi-Final: Andy Roddick
Final: Roger Federer

I expect Nadal will receive a much easier draw.

keqtqiadv
01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
1st round against Guccione :p

guga2120
01-10-2007, 08:01 PM

yeah that draw would be no problem at all for him;) ,
The way hes playing right now Blake, Roddick,Federer, and proably Joachim would all beat him, esp if hes hurt.

Now in a 5set match he would beat Ivo and Berdych.

I would like to see him play Roddick though.

TMJordan
01-10-2007, 08:02 PM

It wouldnt matter rounds 2 untill the final because Rafa would not make it past PimPim:rocker2: faster surface means more PimPim aces and clay boy goes home early:rocker2:

TMJordan
01-10-2007, 08:03 PM
1st round against Guccione :p

I would absolutly love for that to happen.

guga2120
01-10-2007, 08:04 PM
I would absolutly love for that to happen.

to see Nadal win in straight sets?

Homo_Esperanto
01-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Gooch
Pim Pim
Birdmann
Karlovic
Gasquet
X-Man

:devil:

TMJordan
01-10-2007, 08:07 PM
to see Nadal win in straight sets?

beating the gooch in strait sets? in austrialia? lmao funny guy :haha::haha::haha:

Nadal was getting owned by chris serve this week and had to quit, he didnt win one point off his first serve and chris had a couple break chances, if they meet again, Nadal will be crying and picking his ass.

guga2120
01-10-2007, 08:12 PM
beating the gooch in strait sets? in austrialia? lmao funny guy :haha::haha::haha:

Nadal was getting owned by chris serve this week and had to quit, he didnt win one point off his first serve and chris had a couple break chances, if they meet again, Nadal will be crying and picking his ass.

theres no question those top players like Blake,Roddick would beat him right now, but that guy in a Grand Slam.:D , well id believe that when i see it. Its a little different doing it for 1 set in some warm up, than a 5 set match, right?

jazar
01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
this is really going to depend on whether you like him or not. i have no preference either way, but it would be easier to do players that trouble him, so:

guccione
blake
berdych
malisse
joachim johansson
safin
youzhny
tursunov (but dressed as a women as well to distract him)
murray
djokovic

trixtah
01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
haha you guys are so damn evil. Don't worry, Uncle Toni reads this thread :p

Loremaster
01-10-2007, 08:31 PM
I am Nadal fan But I want Rafa to play Nalby and Roddick in AO, because I am curious how he will play against Roddick, he was killed by Roddick in UsOpen2004 and then Andy give him hard time on ultra slow clay in DC.

Saumon
01-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Federer :p

guga2120
01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I am Nadal fan But I want Rafa to play Nalby and Roddick in AO, because I am curious how he will play against Roddick, he was killed by Roddick in UsOpen2004 and then Andy give him hard time on ultra slow clay in DC.

agreed i would be curious how he would do against Roddick on this court,

if he played like he did last week he would get beat, no question.

radics
01-10-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't really care, just a Nadal - Nalbandian match would be cool (since they never played each other). I think other than that, a match between him and anyone in his age will be intresting.

oz_boz
01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
basing on their respective results on hard courts for the last 6 months,i don t understand how you can doubt that Gasquet can challenge Nadal on hard court....:o

Counting collected ranking points post Wimbledon 2006, the top performers are these:

Federer 3000+
Davydenko 1880
Roddick 1665
Blake 1425
Gonzo 1355
Robredo 1145
Gasquet 1065
Murray 1050
Ljubo 1015
Berdych 920
Djoko 910
Haas 905
Nadal 870
Tursu 810
Hrbaty 775
Söderling 770
Youzhny 738

According to your logic Robredo should have beaten Youzhny in USO :lol:, Nadal should have beaten Malisse in Chennai, Davydenko should have beaten Nadal in TMC, Roddick beaten Nalbandian there too. And Gasquet beaten Hewitt in USO.

It doesn't work that way. A match between two opponents is not decided by their abilities against the rest of the field, even if that clearly is an indicator on the overall quality of their game.

Gasquet may beat Berdych and take a set off Fed on hc, but I still hold Rafa as the favourite against him on any surface. IMO Rafa's too tenacious, Gasquet too mentally weak and not powerful like Blake or Berdych.

Then of course I used the word "challenge". I meant challenge under "expected" conditions, not being able to get the odd victory. Gasquet playing his A game is certainly good enough to beat Nadal, but I guess it is pretty unlikely that he will play that good - he doesn't seem consistent enough.

richie21
01-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Gasquet may beat Berdych and take a set off Fed on hc, but I still hold Rafa as the favourite against him on any surface. IMO Rafa's too tenacious, Gasquet too mentally weak and not powerful like Blake or Berdych.
Then of course I used the word "challenge". I meant challenge under "expected" conditions, not being able to get the odd victory. Gasquet playing his A game is certainly good enough to beat Nadal, but I guess it is pretty unlikely that he will play that good - he doesn't seem consistent enough.

i bet you what you want that at the end of their careers, Gasquet will have beaten Nadal more times than Nadal will have beaten him on hard courts.
Once again,your judgement is probably altered a bit by the fact that Gasquet has only played Nadal on clay,a surface where he has been undefeated for 2 years now.
you're saying that Gasquet's groundstokes are not as powerful as Berdych or Blake's ones and overall i agree.....if you except the backhand side.
Gasquet's backhand is as powerful if not more powerful than Berdych's or Blake's backhand.

Deivid23
01-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Draw will be rigged, dream on

adee-gee
01-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Federer :p
I'd have to agree :)

Maybe that's why Rafa's been crap recently....he's intentionally dropping his ranking so he can play Federer early in a slam :rocker2:

RonE
01-11-2007, 11:03 AM
+Youzhny

Hey hey, Aussies make a mean dish of bacon and eggs :drool: not to mention spareribs on the barby :lick: :)

oz_boz
01-11-2007, 11:07 AM
i bet you what you want that at the end of their careers, Gasquet will have beaten Nadal more times than Nadal will have beaten him on hard courts.

I won't bet a lot money for two reasons
1) I'm a cautious man and not that rich either :o Pretty idealistic though, so being wrong I'll happily acknowledge it, along with taking pride when proven right.
2) very many dodgy factors play into what will happen during their shole careers - injuries and such. In fact I think it's likely that Nadal wil retire pretty young, being injury prone and playing a taxing game. Anyway he probably won't hang around near #100 being less than fully fit, so I fancy he won't risk too many losses even in that case.

Anyway, I'd happily bet say 10 euro or so against your claim. Besides, I wasn't talking about what their results wil be in the long run, I was talking about the present.

Once again,your judgement is probably altered a bit by the fact that Gasquet has only played Nadal on clay,a surface where he has been undefeated for 2 years now.

Where do you get this from? And "once again"?

you're saying that Gasquet's groundstrokes are not as powerful as Berdych or Blake's ones and overall i agree.....if you except the backhand side.
Gasquet's backhand is as powerful if not more powerful than Berdych's or Blake's backhand.

I won't argue against you here since I haven't seen enough of Gasquet's matches. But judging from his result it seems to little of a weapon for him to dominate Hewitt in USO, so I take it it won't kill Nadal either.

richie21
01-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Where do you get this from? And "once again"?

it was not about you but about the fact that once again,a lot of people think that Nadal would have no problem against Gasquet just because he is 3-0 in their H2H......but what they often forget is that those 3 matches were on clay

oz_boz
01-11-2007, 11:27 AM
it was not about you but about the fact that once again,a lot of people think that Nadal would have no problem against Gasquet just because he is 3-0 in their H2H......but what they often forget is that those 3 matches were on clay

I never referred to their h2h so it should be obvious I didn't care about it. If it were 3-0 to Gasquet my opinion would be different though ;)

RonE
01-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Sorry for the :topic: question, but why the pig references re Nadal?

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=49729