ATP Awards to be Announced In Miami [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP Awards to be Announced In Miami

Chloe le Bopper
03-16-2004, 02:49 PM
I think we've had 600 threads speculating on these, and they really aren't *that* important, but whatever. I get bored sometimes ;)

2003 ATP Awards Presented by Waterford Crystal to be Announced in Miami

Indian Wells, California, USA -- The prestigious 2003 ATP Awards Presented by Waterford Crystal will be announced on Wednesday March 24 at the NASDAQ-100 Open in Miami. The 2003 Player of the Year, Doubles Team of the Year, Newcomer of the Year and Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award will be among the awards announced.

As part of the Awards, the ATP 'Fan Favorite' will be announced. Voting is now open at ATPtennis.com, where fans can cast a vote for their favorite ATP star.

Voted for by the players themselves, the following award categories recognize a candidate's standing among his peers.

Most Improved Player
To the player who reached a significantly higher INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking by year’s end and who demonstrated an increasingly improved level of performance through the year. (2002/2003 year-end INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking indicated for each nominee.)

Guillermo Coria (45/5) First Argentine since 1982 to win five titles in a season
Mardy Fish (81/20) Finished as No. 3 American and won first ATP title
Nicolas Massu (56/12) Became Chile's No. 1 for first time and won 2 ATP titles
Rainer Schuettler (33/6) Surged into Top 10 for first time in his career
Martin Verkerk (86/19) Roland Garros finalist made big jump into Top 20

Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award
To the player who, throughout the year, conducted himself at the highest level of professionalism and integrity, who competed with his fellow players with the utmost spirit of fairness and who promoted the game through his off-court activities.

Roger Federer
Tim Henman
Carlos Moya
Paradorn Srichaphan

Newcomer of the Year
To the player who, based on his ranking move in 2003, is expected to make the biggest impact on the ATP circuit in 2004. (2002/2003 year-end INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking indicated for each nominee.)

Thierry Ascione (544/89) Made biggest jump of any player to finish in Top 100
Nicolas Mahut (266/94) Finished Top 100 for first time with 23-13 Challenger mark
Rafael Nadal (235/47) 17-year-old Spaniard finished Top 50 with 14-11 record
Robin Soderling (176/59) Jumped 100+ spots and reached Stockholm final
Filippo Volandri (154/4 Was 2-5 career at ATP level before his 18-18 season

Comeback Player of the Year
To the player who has overcome serious injury in re-establishing himself as one of the top players on the ATP circuit. (Lowest 2002-‘03 INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking/year-end 2003 INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking indicated for each nominee.)

Gustavo Kuerten (55/16) Missed two months in '02 after hip surgery but won two titles in 2003 and finished Top 20

Andrei Pavel (191/72) Missed 6 months of '03 season with wrist and back injuries but finished year by reaching BNP Paribas Masters final

Mark Philippoussis (104/9) Surged to his first year-end Top 10 finish after serious knee injury at US Open ended his '02 season

Dmitry Tursunov (331/9 Missed first six months of '02 season with a back injury. In '03 finished Top 100 for first time

Further Awards to be Announced:

Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year
Ron Bookman Media Excellence Award
ATP Masters Series Tournament of the Year
International Series Gold Tournament of the Year
International Series Tournament of the Year

Chloe le Bopper
03-16-2004, 02:49 PM
If there are some typos or numbers missing... I copy and pasted from another board, and didn't fix it ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-16-2004, 02:50 PM
any rankings that don't end with a bracket, and leave you wondering "when did Tursnov and Volandri get into the top ten?"... should have "8)" at the end of them. The board I took them from uses that as the code for one of their smilies, so it got screwed up ;)

Corey Feldman
03-16-2004, 02:51 PM
please let them finally allow Henman to win the edberg award !!

RogiFan88
03-16-2004, 03:03 PM
didn't Henman once hit a ballgirl at Wimby and get disqualified or sth???

Moya sportsmanship?? not aware of it...

Leo
03-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Nadal and Philippoussis are shoe-ins for their respective awards, and rightfully so. I expect Coria to win Best Improved. The Stefan Edberg Award is up in the air, but I'd like to see Moya win it. :)

Domino
03-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Although you all know that it is comming, I would vote for Fish to be the most improved player. Mostly because he had the second highest jump in rankings, and continued playing well, unlike Verkerk. Ascione should get newcommer since he had such a humungous jump in rankings, although Nadal and Volandri are right now better.

RogiFan88
03-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Verblerk?? never...

Leo
03-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Although you all know that it is comming, I would vote for Fish to be the most improved player. Mostly because he had the second highest jump in rankings, and continued playing well, unlike Verkerk. Ascione should get newcommer since he had such a humungous jump in rankings, although Nadal and Volandri are right now better.

It's not all about having the highest jump in the rankings.

Fish may have had a higher jump inj the ranknigs than Coria, but I didn't see him win 5 titles or reach a Grand Slam semifinal. And the difference between #5 and #20 in the rankings is much larger than the difference between #45 and #81.

As for Ascione, he may have had a larger jump in the rankings than Nadal, but that's a bit misleading. The difference between #544 and #235 is minimal compared to that between #89 and #47. You could probably make it from #544 to #235 by winning two matches. Not the case if you want to make it from #89 to #47.

If Coria and Nadal don't win, it'd be a damn shame.

Leo
03-16-2004, 03:25 PM
But, really, do these awards even matter to the players?

Chloe le Bopper
03-16-2004, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't protest if Coria didn't win, and anybody either than Verkerk did. Verkerk had two good tournaments last year, unlike the other players up for the award. But I do think Coria should win.

Chloe le Bopper
03-16-2004, 03:26 PM
I doubt it somehow, but it's still fun to talk about it;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-16-2004, 03:28 PM
About Ascione over Nadal... I don't agree, but the little descriptor line does say "To the player who, based on his ranking move in 2003, is expected to make the biggest impact on the ATP circuit in 2004. ", so I suppose on the first half it makes sense... but I would think that Nadal's top ten wins, and the fact that he had a bigger impact last year and is likely to this year as well, would sew it up for him.

Deboogle!.
03-16-2004, 03:28 PM

Some of them probably do. Maybe the Edberg award, or the Fan Favorite award, but nah probably not most of them :)

tangerine_dream
03-16-2004, 04:13 PM
To the player who, throughout the year, conducted himself at the highest level of professionalism and integrity, who competed with his fellow players with the utmost spirit of fairness and who promoted the game through his off-court activities.

Roger Federer
Tim Henman
Carlos Moya
Paradorn Srichaphan
-----

? This list is weird to me. How do they pick nominations?

CanadianBoy18
03-16-2004, 04:27 PM

JUSTINE HENIN HARDENNE

:tape:

Chloe le Bopper
03-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Justine actually does a lot off court and is certainly professional, not that you would know that.

Back to the ATP: I'm under the impression that the Edberg Award might as well be called "Mr Congeniatlity"... do I have that right? Yeah, yeah, it's based on who is "fair" etc., but it really comes down to who is extremely well liked, does it not? The two sort of go together.

alfonsojose
03-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Gay newcomer .. Feliciano Lopez
Gay player of the year .. Rainer ?

:lol:

Chloe le Bopper
03-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Gay newcomer .. Feliciano Lopez
Gay player of the year .. Rainer ?

This was so much funnier than it should have been. I don't usually find the gay comments about players very funny, but for some reason, this was.

Lopez is also up for transvestite of the year, and will likely win that one unanimously. He'll also likely run away with it this year as well, but Nalbandian is doing his best to make sure that it's a two horse race.

Vass
03-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Who thinks that there is a contender for Roger in the Elberg award?

Corey Feldman
03-16-2004, 07:30 PM
yes queen rebecca, i think guys like todd martin, rafter and obviously edberg himself shared this award for years, generally those kinda guys who dont insult linesmen/umpires/opponents, its a bit of everything, im not aware henman is that liked by fellow pro's, not that he is disliked either

Deboogle!.
03-16-2004, 07:46 PM
I'd pick Paradorn for the Edberg award... his likability and niceness could be part of his lack of big success on court, but he seems pretty well-liked by everyone. Plus what he does back home in Asia with the Paradorn Super Tour and stuff, I mean he's like a one-man tennis machine in most of SE Asia lol

alfonsojose
03-16-2004, 08:14 PM
INDESIT better clothes award - Guga Kuerten
Website award - MTF :worship:
Pete Korda award - desert (Gred Rusedski is clean)

LCeh
03-16-2004, 08:15 PM

Maybe I am just a Roger fan, but I like his chances. He is so cool on the court, he is so nice to his fans, and he is also a very down to earth person. Not to mention he has also created the Roger Federer Foundation. Even though its goal is not yet set, but I would expect Roger to use it well to help more people.

J. Corwin
03-16-2004, 08:29 PM
I thought they were announced during Monte Carlo...or maybe that's when the awards/trophies(whatever) are given out.

Leo
03-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Who thinks that there is a contender for Roger in the Elberg award?

I'd call him the major underdog, actually. Henman and Srichaphan seem better choices, IMO. Well, I don't even know who judges these things and how they are judged, so I'm just bullshitting.

Leo
03-16-2004, 11:15 PM
I thought they were announced during Monte Carlo...or maybe that's when the awards/trophies(whatever) are given out.

I think the awards are given out at Monte Carlo. Move over, Oscars!

Deboogle!.
03-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Leo, it says at the ATP site that those awards are voted on by the other players

Leo
03-17-2004, 01:36 AM
Leo, it says at the ATP site that those awards are voted on by the other players

Oh, interesting. That might hurt Coria's chances, then, considering his unpopularity with even his compadres. :eek: :p

JeLuliA88
03-17-2004, 03:56 AM
I think Coria should win the Most Improved player award and newcomer of the year- nadal or ascione

Chloe le Bopper
03-17-2004, 08:14 AM
I don't think that Coria is actually that uh, hated. He just shares a special relationship with his Argentine buddies ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-17-2004, 08:15 AM
I think the awards are given out at Monte Carlo. Move over, Oscars!
It says right in the article that they are given out in Miami, hence the thread title.

I was under the impression that they give them out wherever won "masters series of the year" the year before, but that might be total rubbish.

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 08:22 AM
yes queen rebecca, i think guys like todd martin, rafter and obviously edberg himself shared this award for years, generally those kinda guys who dont insult linesmen/umpires/opponents, its a bit of everything, im not aware henman is that liked by fellow pro's, not that he is disliked either

Henman is fairly well liked by his peers. Alex Corretja has won this award on a few occassions, but it's time to give it to someone else.

Srichapan would be a good choice for that and Nadal would have to win best newcomer.

Originally posted by Queen Rebecca
I don't think that Coria is actually that uh, hated. He just shares a special relationship with his Argentine buddies

From what I hear he isn't hugely popular his whining, drug ban wouldn't help, irrespective of this he should win Most Improved award, even fellow pros can respect achievements of people they don't like.

Chloe le Bopper
03-17-2004, 08:35 AM
From what I hear he isn't hugely popular his whining, drug ban wouldn't help, irrespective of this he should win Most Improved award, even fellow pros can respect achievements of people they don't like.

Fair enough.

alfonsojose
03-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Rainer won most improved player .. :worship:

Space Cowgirl
03-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Rainer won most improved player .. :worship:

Excellent! :cool: Think I will use that pic of his from the ATP site as my next avatar

J. Corwin
03-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Good for Rainer.