3 out of 4 semifinalists last year are gone in IW [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

3 out of 4 semifinalists last year are gone in IW

Lee
03-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Will Spadea be the next and final one?

Deboogle!.
03-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Let's hope so!!!!

Lee
03-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Let's hope so!!!!
:devil: :devil: :devil:

joeb_uk
03-15-2004, 09:25 PM
:P

Leo
03-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Interesting observation. It will certainly hurt all of their rankings badly.

azza
03-16-2004, 03:13 AM
Hey Vince is heaps cool i hope he wins :)

Lee
03-16-2004, 05:10 AM
Finally, all 4 semifinalists are gone after 3 rounds playing a total of 6 matches among 4 of them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
03-16-2004, 06:44 AM
LOL Lee

Though I must say I'd have rather Andy played Spadea in the 4th round so he could get revenge, I'm glad Escude won :)

WyveN
03-16-2004, 07:02 AM
escude is probably a more dangerous opponent for Andy then Spadea, in terms of gamestyles anyway

I think last week was a bit of a fluke

Deboogle!.
03-16-2004, 07:05 AM
escude is probably a more dangerous opponent for Andy then Spadea, in terms of gamestyles anyway

I've never actually seen Escude play more than a couple points, but sure. If no other reason, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. And Andy would've been out for a little blood against Vince too, which never hurts the chances of winning ;) But whatever, no matter. I'm so thrilled with how Andy played against Safin that almost anything could happen in the match against Escude and I won't care lol

merle
03-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I hope Andy vs Nico is going to be a great match! :lick:

Leo
03-16-2004, 04:40 PM
It should be a good one.

Nicholas better win so I can forgive him for all those missed opportunities in his Aussie Open match last year with Agassi. :rolleyes: ;)

tangerine_dream
03-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Sorry, Leo, but Escude could bring his "A" game to the court at AO and he'd still lose against Agassi. :)

Sjengster
03-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Ah, but have you seen that match tangerine? Escude was completely dictating the play, he was beating Agassi at his own game from the baseline and slamming incredible returns and winners from everywhere, and in the third set at one set all he had almost a dozen chances to go up a break but couldn't take any of them (including a stunning return that Agassi barely scraped into court, but Escude then missed a mid-court sitter). Not to mention that he led 3-1 in the fourth set and then 40-0 on his serve at 4-4 and ended up being broken... that's the Escude mind for you.

Of course, it'll be a very different style against Roddick and there'll be few opportunities to attack his serve, but Escude is always a difficult and unpredictable customer. My main concern is that he'll be tired, he hasn't played much tennis recently and he's won two 7-6 in the third marathons already. But hey, if he's going to thrash Schalken into the bargain, he might as well try and go deep in the draw...

tangerine_dream
03-16-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm not denying that Escude can beat Agassi, he's just not gonna do it at AO. ;)

WyveN
03-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Well he came within a few points I feel.........had he won a few points in 2003 he would have had all the momentum and Andre would be in a lot of trouble

J. Corwin
03-17-2004, 07:56 AM
I enjoyed that match very much even though I'm an avid fan of Andre.

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 08:51 AM
I agree with Sjengster and Wyver, Escude was the only person who gave Agassi problems during that AO, he definitely had more than enough chances to impose his game on Agassi, it's lucky Roddick isn't like some of the fans totally outwardly disrepecting their opponents.

It will be a very different match, but if he is on and Roddick isn't playing well don't be surprised if it's a very tough match.

Sjengster, I mean Escude was only going to Doha for a bit of practice and he ended up winning the tournament, he probably won't win Wells, but stranger things have happened.

Domino
03-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Such as Harel Levy making the final of Cincinatti? Nah, I give Escude credit for being such a fun player to watch when he is on, and if he is on, this could be a great match.

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Such as Harel Levy making the final of Cincinatti?

Is that the best you come up with? I am disappointed try the great Spaniard with flowing mane Roberto Carretero winning the 96 Hamburg final as a qualifier, and the only match he won later that year at the US Open was when Jordi Burillo defaulted.

Domino
03-17-2004, 09:02 AM
In an instant, Levy was the first name that came to my mind, sorry.

Deboogle!.
03-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Well obviously Escude could give Andy trouble, on the men's tour it seems lately that on a given day any man can give any man trouble lol. If Andy plays at the level he did against Safin (not necessarily using the same tactics, but doing whatever he does with success), I think he's tough to beat right now. That said, who knows if he can do that, but the win over Safin should certainly give him confidence. It also deserves noting that the conditions strongly favor Andy as well. Outdoor hardcourt in the US at night with the US crowd and unlike Marat Escude is far less-known/less popular. Normally I'd question how much influence a really excited crowd truly has on player's performance but after seeing it live for my self a few times in Scottsdale, I'm a new believer.