Hewitt to defend the Indian Wells Title? I don't think so!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt to defend the Indian Wells Title? I don't think so!!!

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 06:56 PM
There is absolutely no way that Hewitt is going to defend this title. Given the upsets that have already happened in the draw and the huge depth in mens tennis, anybody could win the title. Who do you think will win the Tennis Masters Indian Wells 2004 and why?

alfonsojose
03-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Well. He lost the first set against Chela 3/6. We'll see if this is just a scare or the begining of the end .. Hewitt = Hingis .. The only have one power .. the power of good-bye.

joeb_uk
03-15-2004, 07:48 PM
There is absolutely no way that Hewitt is going to defend this title.

i think that is taking it to far, ive never been a fan of him but i think he has a chance.

Sjengster
03-15-2004, 08:00 PM
I don't know where people can make these kind of sweeping statements from, Hewitt may be playing like crap at the moment but he's still taken the Chela match to a third set and looks the likelier winner. Pity, but you can't prise the IW trophy from him easily.

joeb_uk
03-15-2004, 08:18 PM
looks like hes maybe could be right 5-1, 40-40 lol

joeb_uk
03-15-2004, 08:20 PM
hewitt out!

Deboogle!.
03-15-2004, 08:22 PM
:eek: wow.

joeb_uk
03-15-2004, 08:23 PM
6-1 final set

FanOfHewitt
03-15-2004, 08:26 PM
The most disappointing thing for me, being a fan of his, is that he gave up near the end of the third set. He never gives up! Not a very encouraging sign.

Served at 35 percent first serve for the match, and had 40 odd unforced errors. Terrible performance.

MisterQ
03-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Lleyton, this is not good...

That was his big win of last year -- he's going to lose a lot of points...

Deboogle!.
03-15-2004, 08:30 PM
yea Q, he'll slide to what like 17 or 18 or something? It's in nitsansh's thread. wowie zowie.

Pink Panther
03-15-2004, 08:31 PM
:eek: Totally unexpected...

alfonsojose
03-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Hey, cherry11. Ferrero looks really sad in your Avatar. Was he talking about the chickenpox?

Hewitt .. you're in trouble ...

WyveN
03-15-2004, 08:46 PM
big shock? hardly

Yes he may even match it with Roddick/Federer (not in slams) when he makes it upto them but that is not the reason he wont be winning any more slams, it is because he is way to susseptible to lose to the lesser players

IN MY OPINION

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Hehe - what did i tell yer!!

*Ljubica*
03-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Way to go Juan Ignacio - :worship: - I am sooo happy :p Now all I want is Marat to win later on!!

alfonsojose
03-15-2004, 09:10 PM
He only has Miami before grass season. He's not going to do anything on clay (I he wins RG i'll cut my hair like Guga :haha:)

Pink Panther
03-15-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey, cherry11. Ferrero looks really sad in your Avatar. Was he talking about the chickenpox?

LOL! Nah, I wish I could see his spotty face. :D That was from the AO this year. Does he look really sad? You don't see him smile very often anyway.
Looks the 6-0, 6-0 that pamendoz claimed is not going to happen. :angel:

sigmagirl91
03-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Potato lost. Dang, and he will drop to no. 18, too?

TennisLurker
03-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Hewitt talks about his Chela Match.

LLEYTON HEWITT

March 15, 2004

Q. I saw you go 3-Love up, decided to watch something else, came back, saw you win the second set, saw your breakpoints in the first game. I couldn't understand the final score.
LLEYTON HEWITT: It was a bit like that, wasn't it (smiling)?
Yeah, there was a lot of momentum changes out there. I felt like I hit the ball well early on. You know, I came out very aggressive right from the start. Had a chance to go 4-Love up. You know, didn't feel like I played too bad a game. I felt like he didn't miss a lot of balls out there today.
It's extremely heavy with the balls out there, you know, to play a guy like that. You know, it's a big change from when you get new balls, and then probably a game or so, you know, even after you change balls because, you know, they're very heavy, it's hard to hit winners, especially against a guy like that. He's standing a couple of meters behind the baseline and running everything down.
Q. He was finding corners very well, wasn't he?
LLEYTON HEWITT: He played well. He didn't make too many mistakes. He definitely didn't make any easy mistakes anyway. He chased a lot of balls down. Yeah, even when I felt like I had him on a stretch a couple of times, he came up with good defensive shots, I guess the kind of shots you learn to play when you grow up on clay.

Q. Are you feeling a little bit shell-shocked by it?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Not really shell-shocked, I don't think. Yeah, I'd seen him play tough matches in the past. You know, he's beaten Roddick. He's had a couple of tough matches with Roddick since then, as well. Yeah, I've seen him play.
He's always had reasonable results on a hard court. And this kind of hard court I'd say suits him the best. With, you know, the balls fluffing up a lot out there, making it slower out there for him, as well.

Q. You're usually so quick about court. Today it didn't seem it was quite you sometimes. You didn't seem to be moving quite as rapidly or off the mark as you usually do. Any reason for that?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, I felt a little bit heavy out there today, just running around. I don't know if it was my first match out in the heat for a while. You know, obviously I played a night match the other night. Haven't played outdoors for a while.
Whether that's got something to do with it. You know, it's hot conditions out there today. Yeah, I did feel, yeah, a little bit heavy out there, yeah.

Q. How much slower is the court from last year?
LLEYTON HEWITT: A fair bit slow. You know, I don't know if it's all the court, though. I think it's got a lot to do with the balls. The balls, they're getting worse and worse by the week.

Q. Physically there's nothing wrong?
LLEYTON HEWITT: No, no. I'm fine.

Q. If you don't feel shell-shocked, how are you feeling? What are you feeling?
LLEYTON HEWITT: I'm actually happy with how I hit the ball. I felt like I hit the ball well out there today. I felt like I timed the ball well, I just didn't take my chances when I had them. Obviously, if you're 3-Love up, you have a chance to go 4-Love up, you'd like to think you're going to get that set.
You know, if you're getting that, I had Love-40 in the first game of the third set, Love-30, Love-30, next two games. Even 5-1, I had Love-30, 15-40. Had a lot of chances, wasn't able to capitalize on it. Against these guys, you have to be able to capitalize on them.

Q. Kind of a crapshoot from week to week? You find out what it is when you get there?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, a little bit. Obviously, a little bit's got to do with the court as well, how much it's chopping the ball up. But I think the majority definitely has got to do with, you know, the ball and how it's made.

Q. How big of a disappointment is this for you, going out in the early round?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, it's disappointing, you know. But, you know, I'd like to think there's lot bigger matches, you know, around the corner for me. As I said, you know, I felt like I was actually hitting the ball well. In practice, I've been hitting the ball well. In all my matches this year, I've played pretty good.
So, you know, it's disappointing to go out. But, you know, he had to play one of his best matches I think to beat me out there today.

Siva
03-15-2004, 11:25 PM
He probably wanted to spend some time with Kim.... Had she played, he would have won a couple more matches :)

Ma. Estefania
03-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Yeah right....

tangerine_dream
03-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Too bad, Hewitt. :sad:

But he's won this thing two years in a row. None of his peers can say the same so I'd say that even though he lost, he's still doing pretty good. :yeah:

So with Lleyton out, Henman's chances of winning IW just got a whole lot better. But he faces Roddick next and that's an iffy matchup. Will be interesting to see what fireworks come out of that. :banana:

Horatio Caine
03-16-2004, 12:28 AM
Sorry Tengerine but he doesn't face Roddick next. He faces most probably Bjorkman and with his performance today i would expect the Swede t owin. Had Tim served a whole lot better he would've caned Corretja 6-2 6-2 but instead he served crap. Bjorkman would kill him if he did that again.

Roddick could play Sapdea again - a repeat win for Vincent?!! Hardly likely!!!

RoddickPride
03-16-2004, 12:32 AM
Federer will win 90% of everything this year!

tangerine_dream
03-16-2004, 01:10 AM
Yes, but either way, Henman would be the next monkey Andy has to throw off. :tape: I'm not too concerned about Spadea. I supposed I should be. :lol:

sigmagirl91
03-16-2004, 01:57 AM
Nah, he shouldn't be concerned about Spadea; he should be concerned about Feds....

Sjengster
03-16-2004, 02:01 AM
Spadea could be his opponent in the very next round; Federer wouldn't be until the final, and that's assuming he got past the likes of Agassi or Coria. Which one do you think Roddick's concerned about at the moment?

WyveN
03-16-2004, 03:26 AM
Roddick should smash Spadea especially if he plays even close to as well as he did today

if he loses to spadea after today then there are some unexplainable issues

WyveN
03-16-2004, 03:31 AM
Federer will win 90% of everything this year!

for that he will have to play around 60 tournaments?

Fedex
03-16-2004, 05:35 AM
Well, on the bottom half of the draw the only player i'll be seriously cheering for is TIM!! :banana:
Almost time to smash Andy yet again!!!

Fedex
03-16-2004, 05:38 AM
Roddick's next opponent will be Escude. It would be nice if Escude could upset Andy before Andy gets a chance to play tim, since he'll have preparation for Tim's game, since Escude plays the same style as Henman(Serve & Volley)

Horatio Caine
03-16-2004, 10:21 AM
No No No!! Escude has to go! We don't want to Tim to play Nick! Tim has dreadful problems with Escude and would most likely lose! Andy has to win!

Tim plays Arthurs - a good match up. I hope Tim serves better than he did against Corretja though otherwise Arthurs will make life very difficult for him.

Come on Tim!! Come on Andy!!

*Ljubica*
03-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Can't stand Roddick - don't much like Tim - so it's got to be Escude all the way for me - Allez Nico!

Horatio Caine
03-16-2004, 02:22 PM
j'espére que tu perde Nico!!

Horatio Caine
03-16-2004, 02:24 PM
pour que Henman puisse gagner ses matchs contre Arthurs et Roddick et devenir championnat du Indian Wells!!

vene
03-16-2004, 03:46 PM
This year belongs to Roger....

Leo
03-16-2004, 04:33 PM
big shock? hardly

Yes he may even match it with Roddick/Federer (not in slams) when he makes it upto them but that is not the reason he wont be winning any more slams, it is because he is way to susseptible to lose to the lesser players

IN MY OPINION

Nice touch at the end, but not good enough. ;)

Roddick has lost to Bjorkman, Enqvist, and Spadea this year.
Ferrero has lost to Guccione (come again?) and Carraz this year.
Federer has lost to, well, Henman this year.

Not even the top dogs are invulnerable to upsets at the hands of "lesser players."

P.S. This is Hewitt's first loss in 2004 to a lower-ranked player.

Leo
03-16-2004, 04:35 PM
This year belongs to Roger....

Baaah!

Uh, yeah.

tangerine_dream
03-16-2004, 05:42 PM
But, you know, he had to play one of his best matches I think to beat me out there today.

LOL. It's nice to see that Lleyton's ego hasn't deflated in the heat. :devil:

Hewitt had 42 unforced errors compared Chela's 15. You got outplayed Lleyton. Sorry kiddo.

RoddickPride
03-16-2004, 07:20 PM
for that he will have to play around 60 tournaments?

Sorry, i meant of everything he plays!!!!!

WyveN
03-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Ferrero has lost to Guccione (come again?) and Carraz this year.
Federer has lost to, well, Henman this year.
[/QUOTE]

The obvious difference is that Ferrero, Andy and Roger have already established themselves at the top and have not lost to "lesser players" at the 2 big tournaments this year.

P.S. This is Hewitt's first loss in 2004 to a lower-ranked player.

This is hewitts second loss at a big tournament. Not a good sign considering how much the surface/conditions suit him and how well he was able to play here even during the shocking 2003.

FanOfHewitt
03-17-2004, 05:19 AM
The obvious difference is that Ferrero, Andy and Roger have already established themselves at the top and have not lost to "lesser players" at the 2 big tournaments this year.

Well Hewitt lost to Federer at the Aus Open, are you suggesting that Federer is a "lesser player"?

This is hewitts second loss at a big tournament. Not a good sign considering how much the surface/conditions suit him and how well he was able to play here even during the shocking 2003.

But he has also won 2 tournaments this year, which is a good sign. His last match was terrible, but other than that I can't see how you could call his year thus far anything but a success.

WyveN
03-17-2004, 07:27 AM
he won 1 tournament this year, sydney was sort of default ;)

J. Corwin
03-17-2004, 07:47 AM
I think it's still too early to say Lleyton's year has been a failure.

WyveN
03-17-2004, 08:27 AM
I am predicting it will be a failure, relative to most people's expectations anyway

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 08:30 AM
You would be loving it if he fails wouldn't you Wyver. I am not saying I wouldn't, but I think you would enjoy it more.

Btw, check out the old players thread it needs your input.

Domino
03-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Wouldn't the year be more interesting though if more top players were on form?

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 08:52 AM
No, why Domino? Tennis isn't necessarily interesting just because the same few are in all the finals?

Next you will be trying to tell me tennis is boring because a Swiss person is #1 at the moment.

Domino
03-17-2004, 08:58 AM
What the hell? What words are putting in my mouth? I just would like to see all of these talented guys in the top 10, to kind of make this year more exciting than last year. Ferrero, Roddick, Federer, Hewitt, Haas, Safin, Coria, Nalbandian-All of them on form would be a dream for me, because think of all the possible matchups. I like watching tennis, and I like all of these guys, and seeing them play each other usually results in very exciting matches. Roger is my favorite out of these guys, and I hate Roddick, so please don't label me as some idiot U.S. redneck just because I want to see all of these guys do well.

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 09:04 AM
What the hell? What words are putting in my mouth? I just would like to see all of these talented guys in the top 10, to kind of make this year more exciting than last year. Ferrero, Roddick, Federer, Hewitt, Haas, Safin, Coria, Nalbandian-All of them on form would be a dream for me, because think of all the possible matchups. I like watching tennis, and I like all of these guys, and seeing them play each other usually results in very exciting matches. Roger is my favorite out of these guys, and I hate Roddick, so please don't label me as some idiot U.S. redneck just because I want to see all of these guys do well.

Hahaha, there is a differencein what I actually said "next you will be trying to tell me etc," not that you were. Thanks for clarifying that statement but just because you have top guys playing each other doesn't guarantee anything in more cases the hype is bigger than the reality.

To tell you the truth it isn't important who is playing as long as they can play good tennis and it doesn't matter where they are ranked.

Domino
03-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Yeah, but I want it to happen because all of these guys have so much promise.

argiesf
03-17-2004, 09:13 AM
will win against Federer ...and kick Roddick...C'MON MAGO!

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 09:13 AM
There are lots of promising players that have never delivered in fact they probably would be the majority, promise doesn't actually matter until they start delievering the goods consistently.

argiesf
03-17-2004, 09:15 AM
yeah right

WyveN
03-17-2004, 09:17 AM
You would be loving it if he fails wouldn't you Wyver. I am not saying I wouldn't, but I think you would enjoy it more.

Have to admit I wouldn't be upset if Hewitt didn't do to well but I am almost certain he wont make a big impact (slam finals) so I will enjoy it more if some of the top players I dislike don't do to well ;)

WyveN
03-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Hahaha, there is a differencein what I actually said "next you will be trying to tell me etc," not that you were. Thanks for clarifying that statement but just because you have top guys playing each other doesn't guarantee anything in more cases the hype is bigger than the reality.

Exactly, these match ups are fun for the fans but more often then not the actual matches are dissapointments.
Coria v Grosjean was far more entertaining then Roddick-Safin

I am sure there was even more entertaining matches between lesser players in IW but they dont televise them

Action Jackson
03-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Exactly, these match ups are fun for the fans but more often then not the actual matches are dissapointments.

I am sure there was even more entertaining matches between lesser players in IW but they dont televise them

Well said I mean you know about my Aus Open experiences. I mean I was at the French Open one year and the best match I saw was between Corretja and Gumy who wasn't ranked that high at the time.

More of a case of hype for the journalists and some fans. Last years French Open was an example Costa vs Robredo, Coria vs Zabaleta were better than many matches where the top players played each other.

lsy
03-17-2004, 01:00 PM

I got to watch the Coria vs Grosjean match and you're right, it was very entertaining indeed. As much as I like Rogi, I still enjoyed the Coria match much better today.

And I saw Mikhail in his first set v Andre too, I thought this guy is really quite good, it's a pity he couldn't keep it up in the second set. I only wish I get to watch many of these different players.

WyveN
03-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Youzhny is probably the classic chocker......a shame but he makes almost every match difficult for himself. Quite fun to watch but extremely frustrating.

lsy
03-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Well I can see why...I thought he had some good chance v Andre in the first set. He was matching up very well v Andre in those rallies even though sometimes he was forced quite way out of the baseline. Also made some great dropshots (I rarely see Roger do these) and has a pretty solid one handed backhand. Fun to watch indeed.

alfonsojose
03-17-2004, 01:47 PM
The courts seem slow, it's good for topspin i love rallies guys, not that good for 34 years old Agassi.

Horatio Caine
03-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Agassi should defeat Corai but he'll lose the semi final to either Chela or Federer. I can't see him making the final.

Sjengster
03-17-2004, 08:15 PM
What, you think Agassi is likely to beat Coria and then lose to Chela if he plays him in the semis? I know Chela's been playing well, but if Agassi can beat Coria then surely he'll be a breeze in comparison.

Horatio Caine
03-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Chela is playing well enough to beat Agassi right now and if he plays as he did against Hewitt then he can wear Agassi down. I think Agassi can literally swat Coria away.

Anyway, i think Agassi will play Federer in the semis and lose to him easily. Federer will get to the final and will win only if he doesn't play Henman. Any other player can't beat him. Henman can but i think maybe Federer might get win number 1 against him anyway. In conclusion, the title is pretty much Federer's.

WyveN
03-17-2004, 09:21 PM
In conclusion, the title is pretty much Federer's.

pretty big conclusion considering another 3 out of the top 5 seeds are still in the tournament + his nemesis Henman

Horatio Caine
03-17-2004, 10:25 PM
who can stop him though (apart from Henman)?

Fedex
03-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Andre will always be tough for Rogi!! So never say it will be easy for Rogi. If those 2 play in the semis, i expect a tough 3 setter, despite the fact that Fed beat him easily in the final of TMC rembember their first match at TMC, much much closer.

shaoyu
03-18-2004, 02:25 AM
Chela is the current return game leader on ATP matchfacts, he is top 5 for all 4 return categories. So I think his win over Hewitt is no fluke.

rassklovn
03-18-2004, 02:31 AM
As if Chela's win against Hewitt was a fluke. If you saw the match then you would say it wasn't a fluke.

The fact was Chela was very solid and Hewitt made too many UE's trying to prove that he can be more aggressive, but his shot selection was ordinary.

Federer is 2-0 against Chela, but he has to get through to the final first before any talk of the title is realistic.