Henman - Indian Wells 2004 Champion? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Henman - Indian Wells 2004 Champion?

Horatio Caine
03-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Henman's draw is looking pretty good now with Schuettler going out. I think he has a good chance of reaching the semis at least.

joeb_uk
03-14-2004, 03:44 PM
i dont see him winning it, but he could have a good run

Horatio Caine
03-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Tehe real danger match is if he plays Arthurs / Bjorkman. They could both knock him out. He could ease past Roddick in the quarters though.

TheBoiledEgg
03-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Marat's coming thru that section so NO

Horatio Caine
03-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Henman can take Marat out - he beat him at this very tournament 2 years ago, on his way to the final

Yonge
03-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Oh I would love for Tim to win another TMS.

Anyway, here's the updated projected draw for Tim:

round: potential opponent (W-L record)
1st round: bye
2nd round: def. Larose
3rd round: Corretja (1-1)
4th round: Bjorkman (4-5)/ Arthurs (2-1)
Quarters: Roddick (2-1)/Safin (2-2) /Schalken (4-1)
Semis: quite tough to project, but accroding to seeds:
Moya (4-5)/ Calleri (1-1)/ Massu (2-1)/ Nieminen (0-0)
Final: Hewitt (0-7)/Federer (6-1) /Agassi (1-2) /Grosjean (4-3)

BTW: My 100th post!

Havok
03-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Henman can lose to both Safin and Roddick. He'll prob get as far as the quarters, but he might have trouble once he reaches there and faces either Andy or Marat

sigmagirl91
03-14-2004, 06:19 PM
He must get by Corretja first. If he does, then it's Arthurs/Bjorkman. If he does manage to make the qtrs., then Andy or Marat can dispose of him there. It's not like Corretja, Arthurs, or Bjorkman are pushovers or anything.

Horatio Caine
03-14-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm probably tempting fate (particularly with Henman!) but Corretja hasn't been in brilliant form the last few years. Henman is playing well and should get past him really, even though they have had played two tight matches against each other.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-14-2004, 06:51 PM
i really can see Henman doing well here. Cos Schuettler has gone out, he has an easy draw compared with the rest of the high seeds who all have to meet each other. As long as he doesnt run into Hewitt in the final, I wouldnt be surprised if timmo won it for the queen

sigmagirl91
03-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Oh, frooty, you KNOW he would like to win it for the queen....

Frooty_Bazooty
03-14-2004, 07:10 PM
yeah i think him and the queen have a lil something something going on at the side :secret:

sigmagirl91
03-14-2004, 07:14 PM
I think they do. Think we should clue in Lucy?

Frooty_Bazooty
03-14-2004, 07:18 PM
No, lets just blackmail the Queen. im sure she has some cash stashed somewhere in her house

Denise
03-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Really??? Henman IW champion?? I don't think so. And I hope Not. lol.
MARAT has great chances!! Dammit, he'll going to play against Andy Roddick. I can't wait to watch Marat kickin' Andy again :p

sebastiagol
03-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Henman Champion...hahahahaha.. the far he can go is to R32 or R16 .. no more than that..
And if he faces Safin.. Marat is going to destroy him very easy..

Fedex
03-14-2004, 07:41 PM
He could make the final, aslong as he dosnt play Marat. He will kick Andy's ass if they meet, but if he meets Safin(likely) then it could go either way

Denise
03-14-2004, 07:45 PM
I already laughed here as well. Hahahaha. :angel: I don't even believe he's gonna come in R16. lol. Poor Tim!!

Yeah, I totally agree with u Sebastia!! Marat is goin' to destroy Andy easily... Hope they'll really face in IW!! Besides, Does Marat can face Roggi in semi or before?? GOSH.

Fedex
03-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Marat cannot play Roger till the finals ;)

Havok
03-14-2004, 08:05 PM
so he'll kick Andy's ass, who he's had a shitload of trouble with, but Henman will be 50/50 with Safin even though henman won their last meeting:scratch: anyways, good to see Tim doing great again, i guess

sebastiagol
03-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Marat - Roddick 60/40

Marat - Henman 100/ 0

also is imposible that Henman goes to R16

Roger already in semis??..i dont think so.. first he faces Pavel.. and if he win Gonzalez is wating for him.. and is going to make him suffer..

tangerine_dream
03-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Henman's not going anywhere so long as Hewitt stands in his way. :retard:

Denise
03-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Marat cannot play Roger till the finals ;)

really?? YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! That's wonderful Lollll... Roger is the only one who i'm afraid of, u know... to play against Marat :p But who knows the final MARAT x ROGGI?? Nice chance to revenge, right Marat?? hahahaha :devil:

Havok
03-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Marat - Roddick 60/40

Marat - Henman 100/ 0

Roger already in semis??..i dont think so.. first he faces Pavel.. and if he win Gonzalez is wating for him.. and is going to make him suffer..
and you got these numbers from where :scared::retard:

sebastiagol
03-14-2004, 08:34 PM
i got the numbers from the rigth side of the keyboard of my computer..

Denise
03-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Marat - Roddick
60/40 Marat - Henman 100/ 0

lollllll..... 100/0???? I didn't remember Marat won all. It's obvious Marat is totally fav in this match :P You're screw Tim hahaha.

60/40?? Marat has a "large" advantage not only 'cause he won more matches but also 'cause he won the last one. Furthermore, the head to head proves Marat is the best. I assumed he's more strong than Andy.

For me Roggi is totally favorite in IW!! But of course I wanna Marat to win ;) Pavel and Gonzalez?? bah, I think Roggi win easily.

Denise
03-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Henman's not going anywhere so long as Hewitt stands in his way. :retard:

I agree only because he's weak lollllll :devil: :devil: :devil:

Sjengster
03-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Henman's biggest threat before the final is Roddick, shortly followed by Moya. Safin too, but Henman beat him in straights here at IW two years ago (when Safin just like this year was coming off a runner-up finish at the AO and Henman was playing very well, just like he is at the moment). I'm certainly not over-confident, but he should make the quarters when he has to play Corretja and then the winner of Arthurs/Bjorkman; Arthurs at least is very beatable, and he beat Bjorkman quite comfortably the last time they played. But I don't think that Safin is guaranteed to get past Roddick just because he won a tight five-setter at the AO.

sebastiagol
03-14-2004, 08:47 PM
i was talking about the posibilities.. in % ..
60% to Marat..and 40% to Andy.. that % is because the way they are playing these days..

Federer beating easily Gonzalez??.. bah.. Federer is going to suffer with "Gonzalez The Rock "..
he is going to beat Federer..you will see..
With Gonzalez the % are never important..

Sjengster
03-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Uh-huh - Safin is 100% certain to beat Henman? Try and remember who won the last time they played here, will you? In case you hadn't noticed Henman's game has a lot of similarities with Federer's, they both use the slice backhand to give him no rhythm and pace in the rallies and can both block a lot of his winning serves back into play. I'd say that's 50-50, or at most 60-40 Safin.

Gonzalez is so unpredictable I don't know how you can be sure he will beat Federer. He's certainly got the game, but then which Gonzalez is going to show up?

Havok
03-14-2004, 08:55 PM
60/40?? Marat has a "large" advantage not only 'cause he won more matches but also 'cause he won the last one. Furthermore, the head to head proves Marat is the best. I assumed he's more strong than Andy.
so then that means Santoro is the best player in the world right :scared::retard:

Havok
03-14-2004, 08:56 PM
i got the numbers from the rigth side of the keyboard of my computer..
exactly what i thought, your numbers are complete :bs: try harder next time:retard:

Horatio Caine
03-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Tim's most difficult upcoming match is the Bjorkman / Arthurs match, contrary to everyone else's opinions (!). Henman has only squeezed past Arthurs e.g. at Queens 6-7 7-6 7-6 and still trails head to head (4-5) with Bjorkman. I don't think he would lose to Roddick to Safin because their games match up well to his and they can't do a lot to hurt him, especially if their serves aren't firing on all cylinders. However, i have to agree with tangerine_dream in saying that he won't get past Hewitt. I'm not sure what it is with that man, but he hasn't found the right game plan to beat him..and i'm not sure whether he ever will. It's a familiar situation for Federer when he plays Tim as well.

Sjengster
03-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Sure, but that match with Arthurs was on grass, these are fairly slow hardcourts. Agree that Bjorkman is still a big danger, but I find it hard to view either of those as bigger threats than two Top 10 calibre players who have won Grand Slams in Roddick and Safin. Henman has of course been bagelled by Arthurs before at the AO (at least Schuettler avoided that fate yesterday), but that was when his confidence in his serve was at an all-time low, he said it himself.

Yonge
03-14-2004, 09:24 PM
News: Massu and Nieminen lost to Nadal and Arazi respectively. So Tim has 2 new potential opponents in the semis.

Quarters: Roddick (2-1)/Safin (2-2) /Schalken (4-1)
Moya (4-5)/ Calleri (1-1)/ Nadal (0-0)/ Arazi (8-3 BUT Arazi has won last 2 meetings)

sebastiagol
03-15-2004, 12:29 AM
exactly what i thought, your numbers are complete :bs: try harder next time:retard:

Cool you noticed that,
you are clever and funny, but very "WEKO" at the same time..

So ..Chupalo!

Havok
03-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Cool you noticed that,
you are clever and funny, but very "WEKO" at the same time..

So ..Chupalo!
WHAT:scared:

Leo
03-15-2004, 01:42 AM
No.

I wouldn't be surprised if Corretja beat Henman in the next round.

RogiFan88
03-15-2004, 02:37 AM
Leo, that w be very interesting if he did... why not? Alex has absolutely nothing to lose... and everything to gain! So... VAMOS, ALEX!!

Leo
03-15-2004, 03:51 AM
Leo, that w be very interesting if he did... why not? Alex has absolutely nothing to lose... and everything to gain! So... VAMOS, ALEX!!

Yeah, Alex seems to be playing well again. If his passers are on, Timmy better watch out. :devil:

Denise
03-15-2004, 04:15 AM
so then that means Santoro is the best player in the world right :scared::retard:

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! U're damm exaggerated, han?? :D But Marat won 3-0 against Andy (it was a suposition about the head to head) and MArat against Santoro is totally diferent because HE WON the last match.... so, even with all that dilemma, Marat overcome and that's the important thing. Well, where's the victory of Andy?? against Marat Safin?? LOL.

Santoro the best player?? :confused: l did not say it Gosh lol, in fact, I don't even remember when/where/how he won his last title. He sucks!! lol :devil: Ok, I'll try to be more clear next time :retard::retard:

Denise
03-15-2004, 04:32 AM
Henman's biggest threat before the final is Roddick, shortly followed by Moya. Safin too, but Henman beat him in straights here at IW two years ago (when Safin just like this year was coming off a runner-up finish at the AO and Henman was playing very well, just like he is at the moment). I'm certainly not over-confident, but he should make the quarters when he has to play Corretja and then the winner of Arthurs/Bjorkman; Arthurs at least is very beatable, and he beat Bjorkman quite comfortably the last time they played. But I don't think that Safin is guaranteed to get past Roddick just because he won a tight five-setter at the AO.

I know Henman has great results in his matches with Safin and other players. I think he can surprise me more... but I dunno 'cause when i watch his matches he sometimes lost due to silly things. He was playin' well and somehow he lost the concentration or confidence and lost the match. But he's playin' well this year, right??

About Safin, you must be right. I mean, we're doin' our "maths" here through the last matches and stuff. Of course nothing is 100% guaranteed. The history can change but I hope not :P Go Ma! Follow the numbers, lol. j/k

Denise
03-15-2004, 04:40 AM
i was talking about the posibilities.. in % ..
60% to Marat..and 40% to Andy.. that % is because the way they are playing these days..

Federer beating easily Gonzalez??.. bah.. Federer is going to suffer with "Gonzalez The Rock "..
he is going to beat Federer..you will see..
With Gonzalez the % are never important..

Yeah, we cannot always follow the numbers lol. Of course Gonzalez is talent. He has that poweful forehand!! He's actually playin' pretty well. Would be great if he surprises Roggi and win!! No prob for me lol :p

Yonge
03-15-2004, 12:19 PM
News: Moya and Schalken were upset by Labadze and Escude respectively. So there are changes yet again to Tim's projected draw:

Quarters: Roddick (2-1)/Safin (2-2) /Escude ( 4-7) Escude has won last 2 meetings in straight sets - who knew he's been a problem for Tim???

Calleri (1-1)/ Nadal (0-0)/ Arazi (8-3 BUT Arazi has won last 2 meetings)

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 12:37 PM
If he manages to beat Corretja he will probably face Bjorkman and I don't fancy his (Henman's) chances because both their games match up well.

Yonge St. Clair - I'm very impressed with those stats!! I think u can eliminate the following from the list as possible Henman opponents: - Safin (will go ut to Roddick), Escude (might survive against Spadea but unlikely to beat Roddick), Calleri (will lose to Nadal) and Arazi (I think he might lose to Labadze).

Also, I think Hewitt will lose to Federer in the semis and Hrbaty could shock Agassi and if not, Grosjean could be a good contender to go far, along with Mirnyi.

Come on Max - trounce that disgrace of a player known as Coria!!!

Come on organisers at the Nasdaq Open - please give Greg a wildcard!!!

jtipson
03-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Yonge St. Clair - I'm very impressed with those stats!! I think u can eliminate the following from the list as possible Henman opponents: - Safin (will go ut to Roddick), Escude (might survive against Spadea but unlikely to beat Roddick), Calleri (will lose to Nadal) and Arazi (I think he might lose to Labadze).

Wow - that's confidence - are you really sure that Roddick will beat Safin? I wouldn't rule out Escudé either, since he has the kind of game that might trouble Roddick.

Also, I think Hewitt will lose to Federer in the semis and Hrbaty could shock Agassi and if not, Grosjean could be a good contender to go far, along with Mirnyi.

Hewitt/Federer is another tight one (in the quarters, if they both get there). Whoever comes through into the final from the top would be a very tough proposition for Tim if he gets that far. I wouldn't even be sure he'd take out Federer right now.

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 01:31 PM
He could take out Federer no matter how well Federer is playing. Henman is the only player to have beaten Federer since November - at the Paris Masters and in Rotterdam. At both times Federer was on a high with the world number 1 position in prospect and with having another Grand Slam title under his belt. Unless Federer alters his game against Tim then he won't beat him. It is the same for Tim playing Hewitt - the tactics have to change.

In answer to your previous comment - I think Roddick will edge out Safin, probably 7-6 7-6 or something like that. Roddick looked solid against Gambill and never lost serve in the entire match. However, although he won the match easily in the end, I am shocked that he dodn't convert 1 of his 10 break points in the opening set. He will have to do better gainst Safin. Safin struggled through his match with Hernych, a heavy server. Therefore i think Roddick has the edge in that match.

I think Escude will go to Spadea - Vincent is playing well and Escude is struggling (2 match points down to Verdasco). Even if he does survive that match, he will be no match for Roddick.

joeb_uk
03-15-2004, 03:45 PM
im guessing your from england jez?

*Ljubica*
03-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Henman and champion to NOT go in the same sentence

Ignore the End of Season Masters in Paris where no one else was interested and were all saving themselves for Houston

He always gets good draws but Champion????

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Well Judio, I am NOT a Henman fan by any stretch of the imagination, - far from it actually - but having spent a week at Paris Masters' last year I really do not agree with your comments about no-one else being interested! Henman won that tournamernt fair and square with some impressive results against top opposition (Federer, Roddick, Kuerten) - I think you do him and the other players a disservice with your comments.
I personally don't see him winning IW but have to give credit where credit is due with regard to his Paris victory.

TheBoiledEgg
03-15-2004, 04:26 PM
if if there is no one to play........ he'll still find some way to lose

and then come out with "that was another bitter pill to swallow" :haha: :tape:

go old man Alex :yeah:

RogiFan88
03-15-2004, 04:31 PM
si, vamos Alex!!!

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Judio - your comments are disgraceful and offensive. Yes Joeb I am British but that is not the point. Henman won the Masters fair and square and every top player was interested in winning. Federer wanted to take over the top spot in the rankings that week and he was beaten by a better player. Grosjean wanted to win in front of his adoring public but was beaten by a better player. Kuerten wanted to consolidate his place in the top 20 but couldn't and finally, and most importantly, Roddick wanted to put some distance between him and Federer at the top of the entry rankings for Houston. He also wanted to gain on Federer's large lead in the Race. Are you saying that these guys weren't interested in getting themselves into a good position for the Masters Cup? What you say is rubbish and not thought through properly. Maybe he won't win another Masters title or a Grand Slam title but that doesn't make him a fluke. He beat the bet players in the world back to back in one week and barely broke sweat. Excellent victory for Henman...the sign of many more things to come.

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 04:37 PM
and by the way...as much as i like corretja...he should retire because he is taking up valuable wild cards in the events he chooses to play. If he is as good as he is supposed to be by now then he should have been made to qualify for some of the recent tournaments. Give his wildcard to Rusedski for the Miami Masters!

TheBoiledEgg
03-15-2004, 04:38 PM
give a wc to a joke like Rusedski :tape:

Greg should just go on holiday and not bother until Queens

jtipson
03-15-2004, 05:06 PM
He could take out Federer no matter how well Federer is playing. Henman is the only player to have beaten Federer since November - at the Paris Masters and in Rotterdam. At both times Federer was on a high with the world number 1 position in prospect and with having another Grand Slam title under his belt. Unless Federer alters his game against Tim then he won't beat him. It is the same for Tim playing Hewitt - the tactics have to change.

In Paris Federer was really at a low point - he had just been injured, he was struggling in his matches (he was very fortunate to beat Verkerk), and he was miles off being number one in either race or ranking. This of course wasn't the case in Rotterdam (although he certainly wasn't at his best). But I do agree that Henman has the game to match up to his, and I certainly don't want to take anything away from his excellent performances at Bercy (which, like Rosie, I was lucky enough to see live).

Roger is too good a player to not find a way around Tim soon though. As you say, his tactics have to change, and I expect he will figure out what he has to do over the next few months.

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Too true - i don't expect him to keep beating Federer. Just look at the Zib match - Zib found a way to beat Henman at the 3rd time of asking.

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Any justification for your comments on Rusedski Boiled Egg? Any views on the outcome of his drugs trial?

Sjengster
03-15-2004, 06:45 PM
TBE and Judio have never had any justification for their comments on the British players, I've been on here longer than you have and have learnt that lesson well enough. The old "he only beat the top players because they were tired" argument is one step away from the usual things that people shit out about Hewitt and Roddick's "fluke" Slam wins.

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Get in there!! Immediate break for Henman to 15. Now serving at 2-0 in the first set

*Ljubica*
03-15-2004, 08:01 PM
and by the way...as much as i like corretja...he should retire because he is taking up valuable wild cards in the events he chooses to play. If he is as good as he is supposed to be by now then he should have been made to qualify for some of the recent tournaments. Give his wildcard to Rusedski for the Miami Masters!

Rusedski :eek: OMG - you cannpt be serious! Even now, Alex Corretja is a far better player than Greg will ever be - and a true gentleman too - Vamos Alex :)

Frooty_Bazooty
03-15-2004, 08:57 PM
now that Hewitt is out you really have to favour tims chances even more. he's the only person who tim really wouldnt have a chance in hell of beating

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Couldn't agree more with you Frooty but Corretja is turning the tables thanks to a very cra first serve percentage from Tim. If he doesn't boost that fast then he is going to lose

Horatio Caine
03-15-2004, 09:06 PM
crap is what i meant to say and i mean it! That serving is horrendous! When he gets the first serve in he wins 80% of the points. Corretja is having free swings at his second serve which is not good. Nevertheless it is good that despite Corretja is serving well he is unable to really hurt Tim with his serve. I feel that Tim has chances in pretty much every service game to break him.

tangerine_dream
03-15-2004, 10:51 PM
No more Hewitt! No more Safin! Henman's chances of winning this thing just blew the door wide open. :banana:

Yonge
03-16-2004, 01:45 AM
Alright, Tim's road to IW championship is getting easier by the day!
Hewitt and Bjorkman,who both have winning records against Tim bowed out today but there still is a GREAT amount of work to do. Here's Tim's updated projected draw:

3rd round: def. Corretja
4th round: Arthurs (2-1)

Quarters: Roddick (2-1)/ Escude (4-7) Escude has won last 2 meetings/ Spadea (2-1)

Semis: Calleri (1-1)/ Dent (0-0)/ Blake (1-0)/ Arazi (8-3) Arazi has won last 2 meetings on clay

Final: Federer (6-1) /Agassi (1-2) /Grosjean (4-3)

Yonge
03-16-2004, 01:51 AM
Oh, I forgot to add Haas (2-2) and Coria (1-2). Tim could potentially meet them in the finals.

BTW, I think it's interesting that Tim has beaten Guille on clay while Guille has beaten Tim on hard.

Sjengster
03-16-2004, 02:23 AM
Yes, although they should both have won the matches they lost - Coria led by a set and a double break and then served for the match, Henman led on serve in the final set and had umpteen chances to break before some tenacity and a little helpful line-calling enabled Coria to break and win.

Sjengster
03-16-2004, 02:23 AM
Don't forget the other match they played last year which is rather more representative of where their surface strengths lie - the first round of Rome, where Henman got crunched 2 and 1.

RogiFan88
03-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Well I have to say that week in Paris was the BEST I've seen Tim play... he was quite impressive vs. everyone... he frustrated the hell out of Pavel, Roddick and Federer... they all smashed their racquets in disgust... it was rather amusing...

Altho I hate watching Rogi crumble mentally to Tim, I do want him to face him before Wimby, if only to keep playing his archnemesis and beat him once and for all legitimately... almost every player has someone they either never or hardly ever beat... Tim is THAT guy for Rogi... no wonder Tim LOVES to play him!

Yonge
03-16-2004, 03:16 AM
RogiFan88, that is exactly why I get very nervous everytime Tim plays Roger. I have a feeling that time will come soon - when Roger finally defeats Tim. :tape: If it's gonna happen though, I hope it doesn't happen at Wimbledon.

Horatio Caine
03-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Well...I wouldn't say that his chances of winning have been increased hugely. You only need to look at the unseeded players left in the draw and you see how good they are. Escude is Tim's nemesis, Arthurs is immensely difficult if he serves well, Labadze is a hard server and hitter (I think?!!), Dent is mighty dangerous, Blake is a good all round player, Haas is growing in confidence and Youzhny can cause, and has caused several upsets. I don't even need to go into the quality of the seeds! The weakest non - seed is probably Labadze but i was impressed with the may he dumped Moya.

However, this time i don't think Tim will take out Roddick (should he play him) cos his serving is crap and Roddick will take full advantage of it. Expect Federer to struggle with Fish - there might be an upset there. Coria should lose in a great battle with Grosjean, Haas might beat Chela, Arthurs might take out Henman (hopefully not!), Escude could take out Roddick and you never know, Labadze might cause another shock and beat Calleri though that is unlikely. Did Nadal have match points in that mammoth tie break with Calleri?

Finally, Sjengster, although i don't diagree with you over the fact that Tim's strength isn't on clay, I have to dsagree with you using that match to back up your point. Tim had barely come back into action after his shoulder injury, and was low in confidence both in his form and in his shoulder. He had also pulled out of the Monte Carlo TMS with a slight knee injury and therefore his preparation for Rome TMS was limited. Coria on the other hand was high in confidence after some encouraging results at the start of the year and he knew he was superior to Tim on clay. Now, i don't doubt that Coria would beat Tim on clay because he would, but not by that scoreline - maybe morelike 6-4 6-4 i.e. close but convincing win.

WyveN
03-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Expect Federer to struggle with Fish - there might be an upset there.

what exactly does Fish have to bother Federer with?
They sort of play similarly only Roger does every shot better.

Horatio Caine
03-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Fish plays serve and volley and when his game is firing he is tough to beat. If Federer is off guard then Fish could trouble him and possibly beat him. I admit it is perhaps unlikely but i wouldn't put it past him. He plays a similar game to Henman (although not as good!!) and we know how much trouble Federer has with Tim!!

joeb_uk
03-16-2004, 02:27 PM
jez why do you hate coria?

Corey Feldman
03-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Tim will have to deal with Arthurs before any of those potential match ups, wayne should have won theyre last meeting on grass at queens in 2001, but chocked in a couple o tie breakers, but it was nice of wayne to remove a few tough obstacles from henmans path in rainer, jonas

RogiFan88
03-16-2004, 02:50 PM
s be easy for tim to beat wayne then... and then it's Pandy is it?? catch-22 situation for me tho... Pandy into the Final? NO!! Tim vs. Rogi in the Final? not much better, in fact, worse... oh well, we'll see what happens... every day a new winner and loser...

RogiFan88
03-16-2004, 02:55 PM
I for one, am hoping Coria can beat Grosgros...

Rogi is aware of Mardy's strengths... s be interesting.

Haven't seen Pandy yet but the way he's playing, I w not be surprised if he beat Tim, if Tim gets there...

Who's playing better Haas or Chela?? Chela did well to get back into that match vs. Hewitt altho Hewitt sure did crap out in the 3rd... badly!

Escude could take out Pandy? You think??? He can crap as much as any guy... maybe more!

Leo
03-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Coria has a better chance of beating Agassi than Grosjean does, so go Guille! :D

Corey Feldman
03-16-2004, 03:01 PM
well giving escude is 7-4 over tim, id rather roddick won that match ! ubt yes, henman v federer in the final would be a dream come true, especially as tim would grind him again ;)

Horatio Caine
03-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Joeb - I don't hate Coria - I just dislike him. Hate is such a strong word. In a word - he is a dick. No respect for his some of his fellow players etc.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Arthurs took Tim out, especialy if Tim serves as badly as he did against Corretja. He will be a sitting duck. Roddick has to beat Escude for Tim's sake, should he beat Arthurs!! Henman hates playing Escude and it is easy to see why.

RogiFan88
03-16-2004, 03:14 PM
if only Coria could beat AA... then if Rogi meets him in the SF it w be their first meeting, right?? interesante...

jtipson
03-16-2004, 03:14 PM
well giving escude is 7-4 over tim, id rather roddick won that match

Wow - you'd rather Roddick *beat* the player you've named yourself after? That must be a first.

Personally I don't mind who beats Roddick (although I'd prefer someone did, to keep him at a nice big distance from Federer's number one spot). I think Nico could be up to the job, even moreso than Tim, since his previous wins against Andy have been very tight.

Horatio Caine
03-16-2004, 03:40 PM
No win against Andy is easy.

Corey Feldman
03-16-2004, 07:34 PM
hehe jtipson, im actually tim henmans greatest fan ever, escude comes in a close 2nd

good luck with your picks in JD stock market game *so he says dropping a hint *

Corey Feldman
03-16-2004, 07:38 PM
also i musy say, as much as i like escude, he is involved in too much of a war when he plays matches, he cant win the easy way very often, he's like canas.needs to always fightback...i feel if roddick gets ahead early, that'll be the end for nico, and then henman v roddick can be 1 very enjoyable match for me, with 2 UP picks ;)

jtipson
03-16-2004, 09:22 PM
also i musy say, as much as i like escude, he is involved in too much of a war when he plays matches, he cant win the easy way very often, he's like canas.needs to always fightback...i feel if roddick gets ahead early, that'll be the end for nico, and then henman v roddick can be 1 very enjoyable match for me, with 2 UP picks ;)

Aha! Penny drops...nice picks Mike ;) I did wonder about taking Roddick too, but I guess I wanted Safin to win that one (fatal mistake!). Moya was my downfall this week so far; after JCF pulled out I toyed with Nieminen (but bad h2h), Nadal and Soderling, and then I just went with the *safe* bet.

Oh well, next week another TMS to play with. Fortunately I'm still in my first year doing this so every week I climb a little bit ;)

Corey Feldman
03-16-2004, 11:33 PM
heh jtips, you've had a heck of a 1st season, averaving almost a grand's worth of pts per event , but thx, i was happy to see safin lose i must say, im not a fan of that cry baby:), and i know what you mean with Moya, i never took him for my acapulco picks last week cos i kept telling myself "surely he cant be in a 4th final in 5 events" i paid the price, so it was hard to imagine him in a 5th final! so i was glad i never fooled myself this time with carlos, instead i picked enqvist who er bloody bombed v Haas :)
henman to tame the english-based wayne !!

Horatio Caine
03-17-2004, 07:11 PM
U guys doing the ATP Fantasy Tennis thing?

jtipson
03-17-2004, 07:15 PM
It's a slightly different game (and free): http://www.jdland.com/cgi-bin/sm/smcentral.cfm

You pick 5 players for the week you think are going to increase their rankings points, and one you estimate who will lose. Good fun, once you know the vagaries of the 12-month rolling rankings ;)

Corey Feldman
03-17-2004, 09:07 PM
yes jez, its great fun, you become so much more interested in alot of other players form and results, before this game, i only cared about henman's results and that was it, this game opened up a whole new outlook on

Corey Feldman
03-17-2004, 09:07 PM
the world tennis tour

*why the last sentance never printed dont ask moi* :)

Horatio Caine
03-17-2004, 09:27 PM
My attention is focussed on the ATP Fantasy Tennis Fling at the mo but i'll bear your stock market game in mind!

J. Corwin
03-17-2004, 11:23 PM
I played the ATP Fantasy Tennis last year. Ended up in top 200 I think. Didn't pay too much attention to it.

Horatio Caine
03-18-2004, 12:31 AM
I'm beginning to believe that Tim really could win the title now. If he gets back Escude / Roddick then he should sweep past Blake and get to the final.

Horatio Caine
03-18-2004, 12:32 AM
I can't believe how comprehensively he whipped Arthurs!! 6-1 6-3!!! Outstanding

tangerine_dream
03-18-2004, 12:54 AM
I wish I could've seen the match but Tim seems to be playing great. :banana:

Corey Feldman
03-18-2004, 04:05 AM
its kinda a pity henman v roddick needs to happen in the qf, coulda be so worthy of a final or sf , at least , surely tim cant beat a-rod again!, especially the way andy wipped escude so badly, making only 9 unforced errors, but i did suspect escude would be tired from his wars against verdasco and spadea, with a possible federer v agassi SF, this indian wells has been memorable so far.and maybe the final might be the icing on the cake, whoever makes it that is

tangerine_dream
03-18-2004, 04:39 AM
Tim vs Andy .... yummy :lick:

Fedex
03-18-2004, 04:44 AM
I knew it would come to this :devil: See, i'm still very confident in Henman since Escude couldent get the Roddick serve back, while Henman does that quite well. That will frustrate Andy, because he will actually have to fight to win the points. GOOO TIM!!!! KICK HIS ASS, AGAIN!!!!! :woohoo: :banana:

J. Corwin
03-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Should be a good one.

argiesf
03-18-2004, 07:56 AM
are you kiddin me?

Space Cowgirl
03-18-2004, 09:14 AM
I hope Henman does well

Alan
03-18-2004, 09:43 AM
My hopes are high on Henman!

i'm getting the same feeling as when he was in Paris ;)

the best of luck!

Horatio Caine
03-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Come on Tim!! Give Andy a good ass - kicking!!!!

Neely
03-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Come on Tim!! Give Andy a good ass - kicking!!!!
:lol: "ass-kicking" might be a little bit too much... but I think he has very good chances to win... he certainly has the game to threaten Andy and I'd give Tim the overall edge if he returns well.

really, I'd not be surprised if Tim wins that... good luck to both, I hope it will be a great match to watch! :cool:

Corey Feldman
03-18-2004, 01:26 PM
both tims wins over andy have been very close, 1 or 2 points here and there coulda changed everything, i think an "ass kicking" is out of the question, if tim is gonna win again, he'll needa win those tight games, roddick made just 6 unforced errors v escude, 17 aces and 33 winners, and escude has a similiar game too henman

dreaming of federer v agassi, henman v labadze SF'S!!

RogiFan88
03-18-2004, 02:22 PM
I can't believe how comprehensively he whipped Arthurs!! 6-1 6-3!!! Outstanding

Not THAT outstanding... it is Arthurs after all but Tim has been winning easily... he likes this tourney and remember he lost to Lleyton in 2002 [boy did he crap... ]... no doubt his Paris win has given Tim a lot more confidence.

I want Tim to beat Andy but if he AND Rogi make the final it will be nervewracking but interesting!! :p

I say there, Tim, kick Pandy's butt, old chap!! ;)

Blaze
03-18-2004, 02:41 PM
I know Henman is probably the one to trouble Roger the most if Roger makes it to the final but I just want for the two of them to play in the final even if it means Roger losing. But i think Roger will do well because all tru tennis fans know that despite his number 1 ranking he will be the under dog if he and Henman were to play and in most cases he strife as an under dog.

Horatio Caine
03-18-2004, 03:35 PM
I disagree with Escude on his view that Henman has a similar game to Escude. He doesn't. Escude could rally from the back all day and he often plays for outright winners. Tim can, and does, neither. He gets into net as much as possible whereas Escude doesn't. Oh and by the way...Tim is playing some of the best tennis of his career and Escude is a bit crap at the mo. It was like leading a lamb to the slaughter against Roddick. Tim should provide for much better entertainment!

tangerine_dream
03-18-2004, 05:03 PM
I want Tim to beat Andy but if he AND Rogi make the final it will be nervewracking but interesting!! :p I say there, Tim, kick Pandy's butt, old chap!! ;)

:haha: Ok RogiFan, it sounds to me that you're more of an "anti-Andy fan" than a real "Roger Federer fan". You get more pleasure watching Andy lose than watching Roger win. :eek: I've never seen anyone like that before. :smash:

No Fed fan--no real Fed fan <g> --wants to see Tim Henman beat Roddick. :)

You should get on the Roddick bandwagon right now and cheer Andy on because the last person Roger wants to see across the net from him is Tim's gleeming british teeth. ;) :lol:

oxy
03-18-2004, 05:06 PM
if rogi gets tim in finals...i think it will be very close & am tipping rogi to finally get 1 over timmy....go rogi...;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-18-2004, 05:21 PM
:haha: Ok RogiFan, it sounds to me that you're more of an "anti-Andy fan" than a real "Roger Federer fan". You get more pleasure watching Andy lose than watching Roger win. :eek: I've never seen anyone like that before. :smash:

You should get on the Roddick bandwagon right now and cheer Andy on because the last person Roger wants to see across the net from him is Tim's gleeming british teeth. ;) :lol:

Making assumptions about people that you dont' know personally is very very... stupid ;)

I'll be all over rooting for Tim and Coria for the rest of the tournament, since they are the only ones left that I care about. Oh, Blake too. Rah. Go them.

Chloe le Bopper
03-18-2004, 05:22 PM
I think that Henman-Roger is a much much much purdier matchup that Roddick-Roger. The "rivalries" might be just as one sided, but at least Federer can give Henman a match.

shaoyu
03-18-2004, 05:23 PM
if rogi gets tim in finals...i think it will be very close & am tipping rogi to finally get 1 over timmy....go rogi...;)

Yes! Tim please! Rogi needs another practice with you before Wimbledon!

Chloe le Bopper
03-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Yes! Tim please! Rogi needs another practice with you before Wimbledon!
If Federer must get a win in against Henman, I hope he does it now and not at Wimbledon ;)

Federer can win 600 Wimbledons. Henman just wants one ;)

jtipson
03-18-2004, 05:29 PM

Gah - absolute piffle. RogiFan, I'm right with you - here's another *real* Federer fan who'd love to see Tim kick Andy's **** tomorrow night (although I don't think it's gonna happen).

Most of Roger's real fans can't wait for him to have another shot at Tim, and a TMS final would be a great place for it!

tangerine_dream
03-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Making assumptions about people that you dont' know personally is very very... stupid ;)

Yes I know, but I can see that once again my ;) smilie and my :lol: :haha: smilies and my :smash: smilie did not properly translate and my New England sahcahsm just flew right over all the pretty heads again.

Bahstahds.

Fine, I will join you all.

Go Timmy! Kick Andy's ass! :banana:

jtipson
03-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Maybe then tangy, for those of us not privileged enough to understand your *sarcasm*, you could explain what you really meant?

RogiFan88
03-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Oh boy, here we go again... Tangy on an anti-RogiFan rampage... whatever...

plum_juice10
03-18-2004, 07:18 PM
I definately want Tim to KICK pandy's butt tonite!

Horatio Caine
03-18-2004, 08:16 PM
:banana:

Horatio Caine
03-18-2004, 08:17 PM
rock on Tim!! Kick Andy's big arse over the Atlantic!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Deboogle!.
03-18-2004, 08:21 PM
I think he'd have to go over the Pacific. Going from CA over the Atlantic Ocean would be quite a tall order.

LCeh
03-18-2004, 08:25 PM
I think it will be a very good match. No matter who wins, the winner will gain a lot more confidence going into the next match. I think they both have good chance of beating each other, it's just who will play better tonight, but I think Andy will have a slight advantage since he has been playing so well this week.

Havok
03-18-2004, 08:32 PM
I definately want Tim to KICK pandy's butt tonite!
it's tomorrow night :tape:

Corey Feldman
03-18-2004, 09:52 PM
jez, i think you have to say tim has ALOT better results on clay then escude, and he does play from the back alot, besides, escude won qatar this year, thats not the worst possible year so far by any means, and i dont think he as 100% fit the last month or so, as he missed rotterdam, his most succesful event.

Corey Feldman
03-18-2004, 09:54 PM
chela is giving federer a real tought work out so far, hmmmm

armaniman
03-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Roger will still have his number lol ..tight though so far.....3-2 and deuce

armaniman
03-18-2004, 09:57 PM
advantage Fed, Come on jump on him right now

armaniman
03-18-2004, 09:58 PM
And he does....4-2 federer

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:01 PM
5-2.....nice !!!

Corey Feldman
03-18-2004, 10:01 PM
ok, looks like federer has gotten thru his little early match blip, now he should hand chela a lesson...

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:03 PM
6-2....lovely jublee...looks like i came in here at just the right time lol

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:07 PM
sorry chela but theres no hewitt 25% first serves today.....I'd play for pride.....

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:08 PM
you got henman v roddick to look forward to though...henman beat him in legg manson classic and in the paris TMS last year so your getting an interesting match up.

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:12 PM
6-2...2-0......the fed express is in a hurry tonight

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:19 PM
about to be 4-0 fed

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:25 PM
6-2 4-0......take that chela !!

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:27 PM
i did warn chela he was in for a Federer smacking for knocking out tommy haas LOL
6-2 5-0.....LOVE IT

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:33 PM
6-2 ...6-1 not bad !!! nice workout !!!

Leo
03-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Ugh, just give Federer the trophy already.

Well, Henman is still in the draw, so you nver know. He's the only one with a remote chance.

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:37 PM
that match demonstrates why gamblers are in love with roger federer lmao

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Ugh, just give Federer the trophy already.

Well, Henman is still in the draw, so you nver know. He's the only one with a remote chance.

take henman out and its his trophy, but roger has to get over that mental henman ghost, and henman has to try not to feed the duck for that clash to take place.

LCeh
03-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Everyone on the tennis tour right now is hoping their name is not Chela... ;) lost 9 games in a row, won 3 games out of 15 games, points won 39-63, incredible...

armaniman
03-18-2004, 10:49 PM
it shows how shit hewitt played.....when he beat haas i knew it was gonna be a total mismatch against federer........but henmans serving stats have been pretty good this week so you never know.....we all remember TMS paris last year.....kuerten, federer, roddick....we need another henman v federer clash......please beat the duck !

Fedex
03-19-2004, 12:15 AM
RogiFan, it would be best to ignore Tangerine when she is making 'anti'Rogi' comments. I actually want Rogi to play Tim in the Final of a big event, so he can possibly get over that hump, plus the fact that at least Rogi can give Tim a match, unlike Andy. Actually, in Dubai i really wanted to see Rogi play Tim to see if he could get revenge. Same here, i dont care if Rogi losses, i want Tim to be his opponent in the Final.

Fedex
03-19-2004, 12:18 AM
After all, arent we getting ahead of ourselves??? Both Rogi, and Tim, and Andy could all crash out, and have an Agassi-Blake Final. I mean The QF, arent even complete, yet were talking about the final.

Chloe le Bopper
03-19-2004, 12:25 AM
it shows how shit hewitt played.....when he beat haas i knew it was gonna be a total mismatch against federer........but henmans serving stats have been pretty good this week so you never know.....we all remember TMS paris last year.....kuerten, federer, roddick....we need another henman v federer clash......please beat the duck !
I don't think that it just "shows how shit Hewitt played". Chela was up and down that match himself. I imagine that today, he wasn't given any chance to be up ;) Hewitt was up and down too. That was a fat match.

sigmagirl91
03-19-2004, 01:08 AM
RogiFan, it would be best to ignore Tangerine when she is making 'anti'Rogi' comments. I actually want Rogi to play Tim in the Final of a big event, so he can possibly get over that hump, plus the fact that at least Rogi can give Tim a match, unlike Andy. Actually, in Dubai i really wanted to see Rogi play Tim to see if he could get revenge. Same here, i dont care if Rogi losses, i want Tim to be his opponent in the Final.

I just find it more convenient to ignore her altogether. No point in getting myself stressed out over "AntiRogi" comments....
And, it wouldn't be a bad thing to see Tim and Roger play in the final-or even Andy and Roger.

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 01:22 AM
After all, arent we getting ahead of ourselves??? Both Rogi, and Tim, and Andy could all crash out, and have an Agassi-Blake Final. I mean The QF, arent even complete, yet were talking about the final.

Yep, that could definitely happen lol (though it seems unlikely!) and just because you all are talking about it, that's probably what will happen ;)

Or.... it could be a Coria/Labadze final, no? lol or a Coria/Blake final...

tangerine_dream
03-19-2004, 02:01 AM
I just find it more convenient to ignore her altogether.

You sure are doing a lousy job of it. :haha:

Havok
03-19-2004, 02:52 AM
ok COME ON NOW this is some of the biggest :bs: I've seen. Federer giving Henman more of a match than Andy. what would you rather Federer get to a tie-break, lead it, then miraculously lose it and flake out in the next set???? Andy gives henman more of a match than Federer does. both times Henman beat Andy it was very close (saving MP in one of them, and the other winning in 2 consecutive tie-breaks).

WyveN
03-19-2004, 04:35 AM
Soon enough both andy and roger will be beating henman routinely

Deboogle!.
03-19-2004, 04:41 AM
Good, Andy can start tomorrow ;)

Fedex
03-19-2004, 05:05 AM
Thats not what i said you dumb fuck. :mad: I said that Henman vs. Rogi would be more exciting the Rogi vs. Andy, because Henman knows how to play Rogi, unlike Andy.

Horatio Caine
03-20-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm beginning to think that Labadze could shock Henman given Irakli's surprising form. I doubt that Annacone or Henman knows anything about him or what to expect. Added to that, a big lefty serve could be a problem for Tim. However, one can take into account the fact that Labadze has yet to play a net rusher so he could crack under the pressure. Who knows. What do you guys think?

joeb_uk
03-20-2004, 07:24 PM
i dont think tims semifinal match will be easy, i think its gonna be a tight match! i was thinking henman may lose myself, i just had the suspicion of an upset

plum_juice10
03-20-2004, 08:09 PM
Hahaha!!! Tim beat Pandy!! HAHAHA!!!

Good on u Tim! Good luck and I hope u win the title!!