Thread for the AO
yay
Vamos!

Xristos
01-04-2007, 07:59 AM
V A M O O O O S!

Johnny Groove
01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
no, no, no, no, this can be the AO thread, but the other thread also encompasses Sydney.

And where is the Vamos Tour in the title?

MariaV
01-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Erm yeah, I think we should make this the AO thread, no?
And maybe title it The "Vamos Tour ready to rock Oz" Thread?

chocc0
01-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Your wish is my command !!!!

chocc0
01-05-2007, 09:47 AM
um....how do i change the title? it wont let me ???

Johnny Groove
01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
:lol: To change the title, just edit the firs post and change the title at the top, cherie :wavey:

Xristos
01-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Another solid win.

mallorn
01-11-2007, 08:29 PM
It's just a few hours until the draw. :yippee::unsure:

There's no actual update on Rafa's injury, just a couple of quotes from Roger's and Andy's pressers.
SAP OPEN MEDIA CONFERENCE
January 8, 2007
Andy Roddick

Q. Is it fair to say that Nadal is struggling now? Or given his age, is he making adjustments?
ANDY RODDICK: (Laughter).

Q. I knew you were going to laugh. He hasn't won a title since the French Open.
ANDY RODDICK: It's fair to say that you're struggling right now (laughter).

Q. Seriously, though, hasn't won a title since the French. On hard courts, he hasn't been producing the same results.
ANDY RODDICK: You don't want to hear what I have to say.
No, dude, he's still winning matches. He's not losing first rounds. The guy made the semis of Masters on a hard court, on a fast indoor court. I'm sure he thinks he could play a little bit better. To say the guy's struggling, I mean, look at his age, with everything that he's accomplished. I mean, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Q. Do you think there's an adjustment period now for him or not?
ANDY RODDICK: In what way?

Q. Teenage guy, knowing he has to make some adjustments to his game, moving on. He hasn't quite put up the same results. Maybe he's trying to do a couple things technically, mentally.
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. The first six months of the year are on clay. Obviously that's a bit more of his comfort zone. You know, it's anything. He's got the game. He's going to have results. Obviously clay is going to be his best surface. That's not a secret. That's kind of the hand that he's been dealt.
I think he'll be just fine. I don't think he needs advice from me.

Q. Roger, you've had some great battles with Nadal over the last 12 months. He's under a bit of an injury cloud. Do you take notice of that?
ROGER FEDERER: Obviously I hear everybody talking about it, but I doubt that he's going to pull out here. From what I've heard, he's just being cautious, which is the right thing to do just before a Slam. He's come a long way, from Chennai and everything. So it's a tough thing to do, to sign up to two tournaments before a slam. I guess it gives him some extra days, and I see him playing very well here, actually.

Q. Given the battles you've had with him in the past, going forward, do you think he has the potential to be a real long-term top 10 player?
ROGER FEDERER: Yes, absolutely. I think he's improving on fast courts. For those who still haven't understood yet that he's still a good hardcourt player, or even grass, they should start to wake up.
He's really improved a lot. I think he's a big favourite going into many events playing well, it's just that he's always come up against a guy who's just really playing well at the moment, since the French Open. I see him, you know, being very tough. I mean, people are saying: is his body going to hold up and everything?
For the moment, I definitely think it will, you know.
Yeah, he's getting experienced, you know, he's going to be improving more and more, so he's not going to be easy to beat, so it's going to be tough.

MariaV
01-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Guys, do you want the full draw here or just the quarter? :o
I'll put the quarter just now.

James Blake USA (5) vs. Carlos Moya ESP
Peter Luczak AUS (WC) vs. QUALIFIER
QUALIFIER vs. QUALIFIER
Robby Ginepri USA vs. Nicolas Almagro ESP (32)
Lleyton Hewitt AUS (19) vs. QUALIFIER
Frank Dancevic CAN vs. Victor Hanescu ROM
Juan Martin Del Potro ARG vs. Alessio Di Mauro ITA
Evgeny Korolev RUS vs. Fernando Gonzalez CHI (10)
Andy Murray GBR (15) vs. Alberto Martin ESP
Fernando Verdasco ESP vs. Paul-Henri Mathieu FRA
Juan Ignacio Chela ARG vs. Potito Starace ITA
Paul Goldstein USA vs. Jarkko Nieminen FIN (17)
Stanislas Wawrinka SUI (31) vs. Kevin Kim USA
Julien Benneteau FRA vs. QUALIFIER
Kristof Vliegen BEL vs. Philipp Kohlschreiber GER
Robert Kendrick USA vs. Rafael Nadal ESP (2)

Kendrick again. :o But on the other hand now he knows what to expect. :D
So VAMOS kiddo! :bounce: :bigclap: :yippee:
And after the 1st rd it doesn't look too bad till Blake. :tape: :bolt: Hewitt is obviously not in top shape so... :tape: :bolt:
(I do NOT mean to jinx him or anything. )

Xristos
01-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Rafa will get into final!

mallorn
01-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks, Masha! :)

Well, Rafa needs to be serious from the get-go, but hopefully he'll know how to beat Kendrick NOT IN 5 SETS this time. I've never seen the two guys he could meet in the second round. :o Andy M has a difficult second round, and an interesting first round with Blake and Charly, who are playing in the final of Sydney! I think if Blake beats Moya he'll be good for the QF, as good a competitor as Hewitt is I'd say Blake would be the favourite given Lleyton's recent history.

Rafa's in Melbourne, training, and Tio Toni finally joined him. :cool:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3031/33db8kc2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

MariaV
01-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Aniaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! :hug: :hug: Will you watch live at nights? Or do you need to be fresh for the day? :o
I hope Blake will be tired from Sydney :devil: :devil:
And who knows what Lord Carlos still has in store for us. :angel: :bowdown:

mallorn
01-12-2007, 09:04 AM
:lol: It would help if I was awake at work, you know... :p I guess I'll try to watch the most interesting matches live and just record as much as I can for later viewing. It's going to be tough. :( And the scheduling is so unlucky - I get three weeks off starting Jan 26. :rolleyes:

MariaV
01-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Awww. :awww: But you have Fridays off too, no? Unlike me. :( :mad:
I am gonna pull some all-nighters and be like a zombie again! :banana: :banana:
I might come to msn too, just so you know. But probably not too much.
And I'll try to avoid fighting on MTF. :angel:

mallorn
01-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Yes, I have Fridays and weekends off, thank goodness.

I can't be like a zombie, unfortunately. :( :( :( I need to know what I'm doing. :lol: :rolleyes:

MariaV
01-12-2007, 09:20 AM
I need to know what I'm doing too but that doesn't stop me from watching tennis all night. The proper smilie should be :o but I prefer :banana: here. ;) :lol:
OK, have a good day and don't ponder on Rafa's chances too much. ;) :wavey:

Tess Gray
01-12-2007, 06:38 PM
I hope Rafa's finally gonna beat Blake though. It's about time:rolleyes:

Vamos Rafa!!

yana
01-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I hope Rafa's finally gonna beat Blake though. It's about time:rolleyes:

Vamos Rafa!!

and THE BIRD too, if they'll meet

guga2120
01-13-2007, 02:04 AM
Berdych wouldn't worry me at all in a 5 set match, no matter where there playing, but Blake, thats a tough match up for him, every time they have played Blake has dominated the matches.

yana
01-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Berdych wouldn't worry me at all in a 5 set match, no matter where there playing, but Blake, thats a tough match up for him, every time they have played Blake has dominated the matches.

if I remember correct, Nadal was the one who dominated in Shanghai. I didn't watch the match, but I know that in the second set, nadal was 4-1. That means that he couldn't put his head togheter to win that match. He lost because of his lack of confidence. But, I think he'll do it in AO because everybody think that he don't have a chance. That means that he is not gonna be under pressure.

oz_boz
01-13-2007, 01:26 PM

Berdych is 9-0 in 5 set matches, while Blake is 0-9. I think Nadal would rather play James in a fifth. But maybe you mean that Nadal has less chances of taking Blake to a fifth, and perhaps it is so.

Sunset of Age
01-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Any idea when he's playing in CET? Don't want to miss that match...

VAMOS RAFA!!!

Tess Gray
01-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Any idea when he's playing in CET? Don't want to miss that match...

VAMOS RAFA!!!

I'm really happy that Eurosport is airing al the matches live :D that way I can watch them... eventhough it's in the middle of the night:rolleyes:

Denisse
01-13-2007, 04:12 PM
when's he playing?

Sunset of Age
01-13-2007, 04:24 PM
when's he playing?

As far as I know, on Tuesday - which means Monday Night here in Europe.
I really hope someone can inform me on the right time, as I'll have to set my alarm to get out of bed in the middle of the night!

I sense two very tiring weeks coming up... :cool:

Tess Gray
01-13-2007, 04:39 PM
I really hope someone can inform me on the right time, as I'll have to set my alarm to get out of bed in the middle of the night!

On the AO site Rafa is the very last to play... http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/draws/ms/r1s4.html
so maybe if we're lucky we dont have to watch it in the middle of the night... maybe they're still playing at 10 or 12 AM!

i hope so;)

yana
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM

According to Eurosport:

Day 2: monday at 12 a.m. GMT-first transmission (01.00 CET)
tuesday at 8.30 a.m. GMT/second (9.30 CET)

Sunset of Age
01-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Thank you very much for the info, dear people!

Denisse
01-13-2007, 04:55 PM
thanks! i still have no idea what time that would be here, but that helps :p

guga2120
01-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Berdych is 9-0 in 5 set matches, while Blake is 0-9. I think Nadal would rather play James in a fifth. But maybe you mean that Nadal has less chances of taking Blake to a fifth, and perhaps it is so.

thats a good point i just feel Berdych is to inconsistent mentally to beat Nadal in a grand slam, and do think if Nadal could get Blake in 5, he could win, but its just a very tough match for him, b/c Blake just seems to handle Nadal's spins so well. Its suprising Nadal is a better player, Blake just has so much confidence against him, and even in Shanghai when he was down 1-4, just kept playing with alot of confidence. I just hope Nadal gets a shot to play him.

Tess Gray
01-13-2007, 05:17 PM
thanks! i still have no idea what time that would be here, but that helps :p

allright lets see...

if its aired CET 9.30 AM... the time difference with Honduras is -7 hours... than it should be... 2.30 AM :)

Correct me if I'm wrong :angel:

Denisse
01-13-2007, 05:40 PM
allright lets see...

if its aired CET 9.30 AM... the time difference with Honduras is -7 hours... than it should be... 2.30 AM :)

Correct me if I'm wrong :angel:

wow! that's way too early!:eek: thank you :hug:

Johnny Groove
01-13-2007, 05:52 PM
hello loves, good to see i wont be the only zombie here. The matches start here at 7 PM every night :o

Sunset of Age
01-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Hahah. It will be a true Rafa Zombie Party going on here!

MariaV
01-13-2007, 06:50 PM
They'll start 2 am Estonian time but in the morning I'll have to go to work so I hope Rafa won't play the night session over there when I have to be at work. :mad:
And Rafa's half will play on Tuesday. See you at Rafa's Zombie Party here! :wavey: :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:
VAMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:

PoderShileno
01-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Vamosss Rafa¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Alexandy
01-14-2007, 05:41 AM
This is going to be a horrible two weeks: trying to go to class, doing major amounts homework, and watching tennis. I predict I won't be getting much sleep. But if Rafa wins it will all be worth it!!! :yeah:

Johnny Groove
01-14-2007, 09:47 PM
another Spanish inquisition :rolls:

veyonce
01-15-2007, 05:34 AM
Transcript of Rafa's Press Conference on 14 January 2007

January 14, 2007
Rafael Nadal
MELBOURNE, VICTORIA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How are you feeling? How is your injury?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, I feeling fine, no? I am practicing here hundred percent, so I don't have any problem. I feel hundred percent perfect.

Q. Is that a relief? Were you worried?

RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. How worried were you about the injury when it happened?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, not much, no? Because I think was not important injury, no? I arrive to Sydney, it was very late the day before. When I go out of the plane, I have very, very hard the muscle. So I was thinking just is very tired, no injury. But I asked to the physio of the ATP on court, when I come on court, and he tell me is better if you stop because if you continuing, is possible is going to be important injury, no?

Q. So you've got no worries about how your preparation has been?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I am fine.

Q. At last year's US Open you talked about Australian Open being your special goal for this season. Could you talk a little bit about that.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, I wasn't here last year. Is one of my favorite tournaments in the year, no? Is special tournament here, special atmosphere.

When I came here two years ago, three years ago, I always play my best tennis here, very nice matches on center court, two times against Lleyton and one time against Youzhny. So I feel good here. I want to play good here.

But that's not the final goal of the season. The season is just a start. I want to play good here. But if not, is a lot of season remaining for trying playing my best.

Q. You talked about working on your serve on the break, your aggression.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I have some changes on my serve. The rest of the game, I need play the same like last years, no? Because I was playing well, I was playing good. Just trying to improve little bit my forehand winner and a little bit the volley, everything, some points of some shots, some aggressive shots. But the rest, I need continue with the same game, no?

Q. Do you feel like you need to end points quicker to save your body?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is not for save the body, no, because I just have 20 years old. The tennis always is difficult. You need improve for try to be in the top players of the world, no?

Q. How do you see your rivalry with Federer? Do you feel the work you've done over the break will help close the gap between you two?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't think nothing, no? I just think to arrive here, try to play my best tennis here. But for play Federer, always the same. I need be in the final. For win the final, I need play very, very, very good tennis before. I just think about the first round right now. If I win the first, we will see the second.

But no more than this, no? Every match and every player is difficult.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=40733

MariaV
01-15-2007, 07:19 AM
Thank you SO much for everything Veyonce! :kiss:
Rafa is up 2nd tomorrow. It will be VERY hot! :scared: :unsure: So most probably the roof will be closed. Hope it will favour Rafael!

Rod Laver Arena Start Time 11:00 AM
Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Maria Sharapova (RUS)[1] vs. Camille Pin (FRA)
followed by
Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Robert Kendrick (USA) vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Tess Gray
01-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Vamos Rafa!!:D :D

NaDALiTa
01-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Merry Australian Open to every Rafa fan!! and VAMOS NUESTRO NIÑO !!! :wavey:

Weebl
01-15-2007, 11:56 PM
:dance: ooo I'm so exited to finally see rafa play again!
I don't care I have to stay awake all night I've got too much energie now anyway
actually it's good now I've got to wait I have plenty of time to learn for my Three tests tomorrow:rolleyes: ....
Everyone have a wonderful night with Rafa :hug:
Vamos Rafa rock this party :rocker2:

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Oh man, Shutupova is taking AGES to win her match! Aaarrrcchhh!!!

MariaV
01-16-2007, 02:02 AM
At least I am fully awake! And hopefully Rafa can finish his match before I have to go to work. :D Hi everyone! VAMOS!!!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:

Carlita
01-16-2007, 02:03 AM
Oh man, Shutupova is taking AGES to win her match! Aaarrrcchhh!!!no kidding! :fiery: she took at least 90 minutes of my well needed sleep! :armed:

Carlita
01-16-2007, 02:04 AM
At least I am fully awake! And hopefully Rafa can finish his match before I have to go to work. :D Hi everyone! VAMOS!!!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap::wavey:hi Maria :hug:

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Hi People! All ready for The Ultimate Rafa Zombie Party now???

Can't take much longer now... oh man, I'm so tired... 3:17 AM here...
if I don't make any sense in my further posts this night... forgive me, please.

Carlita
01-16-2007, 02:19 AM
haven't you slept at all then? I slept from 22.00 - 02.00..... probably not enough...but it's something :lol:

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 02:28 AM
Nay, I expected Shutupova to have finished the match within one hour... big, BIG mistake, so it seems...

Carlita
01-16-2007, 02:34 AM
ah like me :lol:

ohmy:tape:nando!! Did she just mess up a major lead?

:fiery::armed:

MariaV
01-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Hi dears, yeah, LOL, I thought Sharapova would finish her match in under an hour. BIIIIG mistake. :lol: Carlita, I finally got somewhat 4 hrs of sleep too but I'm still doing OK. :lol:

I've been ready for The Ultimate Rafa Zombie Party for quite some time, only Sharapova doesn't want to let it start. :lol:

Carlita
01-16-2007, 02:58 AM
What I don't really get.... they won't start new matches in this heat because it's too hot...blabla..... BUT, the people playing right now, it's not too dangerous for them??? :scratch: If it's too hot for the others it's too hot for them.... so, stop the matches! I mean, they don't run any risks?! Ridiculous!

Carlita
01-16-2007, 03:00 AM
:sobbing: 7 all, it's neverending :sobbing: allez Pin!

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 03:02 AM
:sobbing: 7 all, it's neverending :sobbing: allez Pin!

Yeah...

VAMOS PIN!!!!

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Brrrr. 8-7 for shriekapova now....

Carlita
01-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Im sure Miss Shriek will get it in the end..... blah

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 03:10 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Okay, enough of THAT for now.
Bring on RAFA!!! :worship: :rocker:

Carlita
01-16-2007, 03:17 AM
first they need to close the roof :zzz:

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 03:18 AM
first they need to close the roof :zzz:

Yep. Betfair.com is giving excellent coverage of that right now...

Carlita
01-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Yep. Betfair.com is giving excellent coverage of that right now...can you watch there for free?

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 03:20 AM
can you watch there for free?

Yes, no problem! I switch between my telly and my computer all the time! :D
Just sign up, no need to actually make bets.

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 03:29 AM
Well, they're on court now!

VAMOS RAFA!!!!

Carlita
01-16-2007, 03:32 AM
Yes, no problem! I switch between my telly and my computer all the time! :D
Just sign up, no need to actually make bets.hmm doesnt seem to be working cause all i see is a nice white screen :awww:

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 03:36 AM
hmm doesnt seem to be working cause all i see is a nice white screen :awww:

Working fine over here... Kendrick and Rafa busy exchanging balls...
Did you sign up and such?

Carlita
01-16-2007, 03:39 AM
Working fine over here... Kendrick and Rafa busy exchanging balls...
Did you sign up and such?yes, made my account, went to :watch australian open live, a new screen pops up...click on the rafa match see this:

Australian Open - Kendrick v Nadal Player only (http://livevideo.betfair.com/#)

Streaming Time Delay: Although content on Betfair Live Video is advertised as 'live', you should be aware that Betfair pictures are typically delayed by 10-20 seconds. For further information see the TandCs (http://livevideo.betfair.com/#) . Some Live Video events may be restricted based on geographical location.
© 2006 The Sporting Exchange Limited. All rights reserved.

then what? when I click op player only...i get the white screen:confused:

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 03:45 AM
yes, made my account, went to :watch australian open live, a new screen pops up...click on the rafa match see this:

Australian Open - Kendrick v Nadal Player only (http://livevideo.betfair.com/#)

Streaming Time Delay: Although content on Betfair Live Video is advertised as 'live', you should be aware that Betfair pictures are typically delayed by 10-20 seconds. For further information see the TandCs (http://livevideo.betfair.com/#) . Some Live Video events may be restricted based on geographical location.
© 2006 The Sporting Exchange Limited. All rights reserved.

then what? when I click op player only...i get the white screen:confused:

I got that quite a few times when I tried before... could be due to downloading speed or such. Anyway - Eurosport;s still showing Rochus, and Kendrick is up 1-0 now.

Good luck watching, and hope normal TV coverage regain their senses soon!

Carlita
01-16-2007, 03:48 AM
Yeah i see him on tv :D so it's fine

vamos Rafaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :clap2:

MariaV
01-16-2007, 04:48 AM
Oh, that was an intense 1st set! :banana: Excellent end to that TB!! 8-6 :banana: :yippee:

Carlita
01-16-2007, 04:51 AM
:banana: now finish before I leave for work...in about 2 1/2 hours...should be enough :) then again...:unsure: you never know:o

RogiFan88
01-16-2007, 04:52 AM
Rafa will run away now in straights.

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Think so, too. Good solid match.

Sadly enough I won't be able to see the end... have to crash now, 6:21 AM and an appointment coming up in 4 hours, bah!

Have fun and VAMOS RAFA!!!

Carlita
01-16-2007, 05:23 AM
:wavey:

MariaV
01-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Nice solid match from Rafa. 7-6 (6) 6-3 6-2 :D
A few mini breaks in the TB but well handled in the end and great serving from Rafa! :bowdown: :worship:
And the other guys haven't got to playing yet so should be good till the Blake qf. :tape: And hopefully beyond. :D

Naide
01-16-2007, 07:55 AM
vamooooooooooooos

MariaV
01-16-2007, 08:28 AM
From the AO site.

Nadal clears first hurdle
by Luke Buttigieg
Tuesday, 16 January, 2007

Spanish star Rafael Nadal, the men's No.2 seed at Australian Open 2007, says he is pleased to have got through his opening match on Day Two at Melbourne Park, but isn't looking too far ahead just yet.

Playing his match at Rod Laver Arena under the closed roof after the Extreme Heat Policy had been activated earlier in the afternoon, Nadal had to work hard early against American Robert Kendrick.

But after saving a set point at 5-6 in the tie-breaker - after he had failed to convert one of his own earlier in the set - Nadal won three straight points to take the opening set and then broke once in the second and twice in the third en route to his 7-6(6) 6-3 6-2 win.

"Well I'm happy," he said. "(It) is a good start for me. I have a very difficult first set, I have my chance, some break points in the first. I don't know, one break point, maybe more than one." It was 2 BPs actually before the TB. :lol:

"After I had set point down with 6-5. So, well, (it) was important for me (to) win the first tiebreak. After, the match change a little bit. Was easy after. Most important thing is I won today. Always is very difficult to start one tournament."

Out-pointed 29-32 in the winners' count Nadal only committed 14 unforced errors to Kendrick's 43 for the match, and the two-time French Open champion told reporters after his triumph that he prefers playing outdoors.

"Well, (it) was a little bit different feeling because is indoor court, so that's little bit change," Nadal added. "That's fine, (it) is unbelievable hot outside. I prefer play without indoor, but that's it, that's fine."

Having beaten world No.1 Roger Federer in four finals last year - in Dubai, Monte Carlo, Rome and when he defended his French Open crown - Nadal wasn't looking any further ahead than his second-round clash with either Belgian Kristof Vliegen or German Philipp Kohlschreiber.

Nadal added that he's feeling '100 per cent fine' after suffering an injury scare that forced him out of last week's Medibank International in Sydney, and that he's confident he can succeed on any court if his form stands up, even though clay is his preferred surface.

"If I am playing good, I can play all surfaces fine," he said. "I play the final on Wimbledon, the fastest place in the world. If I am playing good, I can play good in all places, but if I am playing bad, I can play bad in all places, too." :o :o :lol:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2007-01-16/200701161168935294718.html

MariaV
01-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Oh, and the presser transcript is also already up. :D

Tuesday, 16 January, 2007
R. NADAL/R. Kendrick
7‑6, 6‑3, 6‑2

An interview with: RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: First question, please.

Q. A good start to the tournament given the conditions today, a lot of seeds having troubles. What are your thoughts on your match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, was a little bit different feeling because is indoor court, so that's little bit change. But, well, I'm happy, no? Is a good start for me. I have a very difficult first set. I have my chance, some break points in the first. I don't know, one breakpoint. Maybe more than one.

After I had set point down with 6‑5. So, well, was important for me win the first tiebreak. After, the match change a little bit. Was easy after.

Q. Had no problems with the conditions?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. That's fine, no? Is unbelievable hot outside (smiling). I prefer play without indoor, but that's it. That's fine. Most important thing is I won today. Always is very difficult to start one tournament.

Q. There's been talk that the court might be a bit faster this year. Did you find it faster than when you were here two years ago?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't remember (smiling). The ball is different. That's sure. That's important.

Q. Does that suit you or not? Is it good for you or not?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I going to tell you after the tournament.

Well, the topspin is not the same like the last ball. But, well, that's the ball, and I need play my best with this one.

Q. You feel the ball is faster than the other one?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is not going up. Still a little bit more down. The first moments, the first hits to the ball, it's going up. But after, when you play two, three games, the ball is like this, very big.

Q. Does this mean you don't have enough opportunities to practice with similar balls?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, yeah. Always you have the opportunity to practice with these balls at home. But the ball change a lot with the weather, with the conditions. It's changing a lot. If I practice with these balls in Mallorca right now with cold, all change down here.

Q. What about your injury from last week? Is that all gone now?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't feel nothing, so I am hundred percent fine. That's fine. Thank you.

Q. Do you feel a hundred percent comfortable with your shorts you wear? Have you ever thought about changing them? :haha: :rolleyes:

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I feel hundred percent fine, yeah.

Q. If you compare with the match against the same opponent in Wimbledon, what was better today? The conditions are better for you? He played less well? You played better?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, is a little bit slower, so that's a little bit easier for me because with the serve I have more chances always in the return.

I don't remember. I don't think if I play ‑‑ I don't think I playing worse today than Wimbledon, no? Wimbledon was a great match, very complete match, very difficult. Today the conditions is a little bit better for me.

But I play not my best match. I play serious match today, so that's enough. :yeah:

Q. Would this be a good surface to play Roger on for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, for play Roger, I need win ‑ I don't know ‑ five more matches. So that's a lot.

Q. Let's say if you do. Does Rebound Ace help you or not?

RAFAEL NADAL: If I am playing good, I can play all surfaces fine, no? I play the final on Wimbledon, the faster place in the world. If I am playing good, I can play good in all places. But if I am playing bad, I can play bad in all places, too (laughter). :o :o :lol: Indeed!

Q. There was some talk about the heat rule. Some players had to play in the heat, some others didn't play, some like you played indoors. Do you feel it's fair in a Grand Slam tournament that players play in different conditions?

RAFAEL NADAL: With one day in the middle, maybe don't affect nothing, no? If you play tomorrow, and tomorrow I play indoor, one play outside, so.... Sometimes if the match is very hard, very tough, can affect a little bit. But now like this, maybe doesn't matter, no?

I prefer play outside, so....

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2007-01-16/200701161168935771937.html

MariaV
01-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Am I alone here today with Veyonce posting? :o :o
Philipp Kohlschreiber up next. He beat Vliegen 5-7 6-3 6-4 6-2.
VAMOS!!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bounce:

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Am I alone here today with Veyonce posting? :o :o
Philipp Kohlschreiber up next. He beat Vliegen 5-7 6-3 6-4 6-2.
VAMOS!!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bounce:

Hahah, no, you're not, but I had yet to deal with something I'd call a Major Jetlag from past night!

I wanted to leave the telly at something like, well, 6:30 AM but found I couldn't, so I stayed up and watched the whole match - so glad I did!

Nice, solid win for Rafa - and very good to see his adjustments to his game (better serve, close to baseline e.a.). And his post-match interview on court was nothing less than PRICELESS!
You do know what I'm talking about, no? :devil: :angel:

cmurray
01-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Rafa looked really good. Better, in fact, than I've seen in a long while. Clean ball striking, good serving, and best yet, his returning was getting better. I haven't been this pleased in Raf's game in a long time.

I REALLY liked his serving...there's a lot more pop on the ball now.

Well done Rafi. And yes, Karin, the post-match interview was......funny. ;)

MariaV
01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Nice, solid win for Rafa - and very good to see his adjustments to his game (better serve, close to baseline e.a.). And his post-match interview on court was nothing less than PRICELESS!

:haha: :haha: It was commented in the GM thread a bit.
Rafa handled it really well. :haha:

MariaV
01-16-2007, 02:32 PM
I haven't been this pleased in Raf's game in a long time.

Me neither, since Wimbledon I'd say. :D
Let's hope he can keep it up all way to the final. :D

Naide
01-16-2007, 02:39 PM
http://www.eurosport.es/tenis/mc_vid32545.shtml

little interview

Clara Bow
01-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Overall, good match from Rafa. He improved as the match went on, and started hitting more deep balls - which I like to see. Like others here, I was more pleased with his play than I have been for a while. :)

mallorn
01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Hola everybody! :wavey:

I'm a bad, bad fan, I missed The Ultimate Rafa Zombie Party. :o :sobbing: I did try to stay up, but when Shriekapova was three all in the second set at half past two I gave up. :o I had a feeling she might be on the court for a long time and boy was I right. :rolleyes:

I recorded Rafa's match though and I'll be off to watch it soon, can't wait to see him play a clean match. :dance: 29 Ws and 14 UEs? Way to go, Peartree! :inlove: Only saw the match point and the on-court interview. :o :haha: What was Woodbridge thinking?! Even Simon and Mats were dying in their booth. :lol:

I'll be back with comments on Rafa's play later, if I have any. :p

PS. The outfit looks a tiny bit better with Rafa in it, but I'm still not a fan.

cmurray
01-16-2007, 07:17 PM

I'm a bad, bad fan, I missed The Ultimate Rafa Zombie Party. :o :sobbing: I did try to stay up, but when Shriekapova was three all in the second set at half past two I gave up. :o I had a feeling she might be on the court for a long time and boy was I right. :rolleyes:

I recorded Rafa's match though and I'll be off to watch it soon, can't wait to see him play a clean match. :dance: 29 Ws and 14 UEs? Way to go, Peartree! :inlove: Only saw the match point and the on-court interview. :o :haha: What was Woodbridge thinking?! Even Simon and Mats were dying in their booth. :lol:

I'll be back with comments on Rafa's play later, if I have any. :p

PS. The outfit looks a tiny bit better with Rafa in it, but I'm still not a fan.

Does anyone have video of the interview? They didn't show it on espn.

Tess Gray
01-16-2007, 07:19 PM

ehm... no I dont know... I was sleeping:rolleyes:

yana
01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.eurosport.es/tenis/mc_vid32545.shtml

little interview

thanks for the vid, I like him with the curly hair instead of that washed effect at AO Players Party. :)

Denisse
01-16-2007, 07:50 PM
yaay, i get to watch the match right now! i tried to stay up yesterday, but i just couldn't..it started like at 10 pm here, and i kinda go to bed at 8....:p

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 08:32 PM

I'm a bad, bad fan, I missed The Ultimate Rafa Zombie Party. PS. The outfit looks a tiny bit better with Rafa in it, but I'm still not a fan.

No matter, if Rafa maintains the form he displayed yesterday night, I expect there to be a lot more upcoming Rafa Zombie Parties!

BTW, do you know if there are perhaps a few pics from that post-match interview floating around on the net? I'd really like to have one of those as it'll do well as special entry in my personal blog...

Johnny Groove
01-16-2007, 10:30 PM
does anyone else think his new serve looks alot like Federer's? :shrug:

nice match, good in the 2nd and 3rd sets, still not a fan of Broc and cheese/ Ninja turtle ensemble :o

Sunset of Age
01-16-2007, 11:59 PM

Oh, ABSOLUTELY. Nothing wrong with taking some good advice from a dear friend... :devil:

mallorn
01-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Does anyone have video of the interview? They didn't show it on espn.
Sorry, haven't seen one yet, will let you know if I do.
No matter, if Rafa maintains the form he displayed yesterday night, I expect there to be a lot more upcoming Rafa Zombie Parties!
I'll be able to watch from Thu night on. :yippee:
BTW, do you know if there are perhaps a few pics from that post-match interview floating around on the net? I'd really like to have one of those as it'll do well as special entry in my personal blog...
With Woodbridge you mean? Haven't seen any. :shrug:

nice match, good in the 2nd and 3rd sets, still not a fan of Broc and cheese/ Ninja turtle ensemble :o
Still haven't seen it, damn it. :smash:
Oh, ABSOLUTELY. Nothing wrong with taking some good advice from a dear friend... :devil:
Last time I checked it was Tio Toni that was Rafa's coach. And the 'close friendship' exists mostly in the slash writers' minds. ;)

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 01:17 AM
With Woodbridge you mean? Haven't seen any. :shrug:

Still haven't seen it, damn it. :smash:

Last time I checked it was Tio Toni that was Rafa's coach. And the 'close friendship' exists mostly in the slash writers' minds. ;)

Yep, with Woodbridge, I mean... well, they'll be appearing somewhere soon I guess.

Of course it's Tio Toni that is Rafa's coach - but I did notice the line that Rafa and Roger have been talking to each other for quite some time together after Shanghai - and I don't think you have to be a slasher to accept there's at least some kind of friendship between the two, as they've admitted themselves. (I didn't say 'close', did I? ;) )

cmurray
01-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Hey...if you're going to model your tennis after someone, it might as well be the tennis Messiah, right?

I liked the new serve. It won him a lot more free points than he's used to seeing. I remember when Andre changed his serve - it made a BIG difference in his results.

Also, all slashiness aside, I think Rafa and Roger have a nice relationship. I'd even go so far as to say that they have a nice chemistry together (not THAT kind of chemistry). It's always interesting to watch them together. This is something unique that we haven't really seen with great tennis rivalries. I mean, Pete and Andre - for all that they had that amazing rivalry - had NO chemistry whatsoever.

MariaV
01-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Oh, I liked the cheese & broccoli outfit on court! :D :D :D But it's not about the outfit really! :p
And I liked the new serve even better! :devil: :lol: Remind you it might not work always yet....

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 03:33 AM
Also, all slashiness aside, I think Rafa and Roger have a nice relationship. I'd even go so far as to say that they have a nice chemistry together (not THAT kind of chemistry). It's always interesting to watch them together. This is something unique that we haven't really seen with great tennis rivalries. I mean, Pete and Andre - for all that they had that amazing rivalry - had NO chemistry whatsoever.

Yeah, that's no less than unique - and perhaps one of the primal reasons why I cheer for the both of them.

Rogi's just done his part of the deal tonight - now it's Rafa's turn again!
Vamos, Rafa!:worship:

MariaV
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Rod Laver Arena Start Time 7:30 PM
Women's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Jelena Kostanic Tosic (CRO) vs. Samantha Stosur (AUS)[24]
followed by
Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Rafa has the night match tomorrow. This time I have to be at work and won't get to see it. :( Hope it'll be as good and painless as the 1st rd match. :D
VAMOS!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bounce:

Sunset of Age
01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Rafa has the night match tomorrow. This time I have to be at work and won't get to see it. :( Hope it'll be as good and painless as the 1st rd match. :D
VAMOS!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bounce:

Ha! That finally means a night with sleep for me!
Hope I get up in time, though. :D

Tess Gray
01-17-2007, 07:06 PM
I just heard great news!!
:D
Rafa's match is airing here at 9.30 AM.. wich means I can watch it live and I dont have to stay up all night *cheering*:worship:

Naide
01-18-2007, 10:03 AM
bring on the match!

adee-gee
01-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Well.....he won 7-5 6-3 4-6 6-2, but he made a hell of a meal of it :help:

Still absolutely nowhere near the form of last year, and I really think he's in real danger of losing to Wawrinka if he plays like that. Stan is a bad match up for him, he's very solid from the baseline and is consistent and powerful enough cause Rafa major problems.

He needs to step it up big time :scared:

MariaV
01-18-2007, 02:36 PM
ADAM!!!!!!!!!! :kiss:
I'm at work so haven't seen a point played but he can't be THAT bad as to lose to Wawrinka. :lol:
Blake was awesome but this Kuznetsov kid is no measure of course. :shrug:
Talk to you all later! :wavey:

Naide
01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
no no no he wont lose against wawrinka, im afraid for later:eek:
anyway vamoooos rafa

linus
01-18-2007, 02:51 PM
from the past two rounds, what worried me is just when match is on-going, Rafa would kinda turn back something unsure... :rolleyes: if he really can go further (focus then Stan cant stop him still) needs to get 100% ready. to some degree, giving thanks to Kendrick and Kohlschreiber, their style helps Rafa to test himself :p

some funny shots did bring me happiness and laughters :lol:

mallorn
01-18-2007, 03:06 PM
I only saw the last set, and Rafa played really well...then. Kohlschreiber was very impressive too, even Frew kept complementing him, and that's not common.

The match was again longer than Rafa would've wanted, but I think a tight match may prove a blessing in disguise as it will keep him on his toes. He's been choking in difficult situations lately and he needs to repeatedly get out of tight spots to regain confidence, there's no other way.

MariaV
01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Aniaaaa! :kiss:
I hope to see you online during the weekend! :)
VAMOS! :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:

P.S. And please kick Marat's virtual ass tomorrow while I'm at work. :mad: :(

Johnny Groove
01-18-2007, 03:10 PM
why is he playing at 1 in the morning? :o

mallorn
01-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Aniaaaa! :kiss:
I hope to see you online during the weekend! :)
VAMOS! :banana: :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap:

P.S. And please kick Marat's virtual ass tomorrow while I'm at work. :mad: :(
Masha! :smooch: I'm almost done at work. I'm so thrilled I feel like jumping up and down, I'll be able to watch almost all the matches now.. :yippee::lol: And chat and stuff. :)

What was up with Marat in his last match? :o :o :o I saw the result and thought "I hope Masha survived this! :eek: "

mallorn
01-18-2007, 03:23 PM
why is he playing at 1 in the morning? :o
You tell me, I only saw the last set. :shrug: :lol:

NaDALiTa
01-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm really disappointed by this match, i mean all the match it seemed he was walking on thin ice. His hits werent as sharp as usual. When Kohlschreiber started playing with a lot of topspin Rafa couldn't manage to hit the ball back.He was in a very odd day. He did things he was'nt used to for instance when he double-faulted on a break-point....rather strange for such a warrior.I came to the conclusion he needed to play a bit more to balance his level.....or maybe he was testing his limits.......but i don't think so, he was so fiery when he won !!!
Every victory is good to take but i hope it will help him, because i'm not sure Wavrinka will lose the opportunity of winning Rafa (especially a few weeks before the Davis Cup !!)

Rafa has also made good winning points,i'm sad he vamoses less and less :(

mallorn
01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
^^ I hope he'll be more motivated and alert for his next match. Wawrinka could be troublesome, but I think it would take a very poor effort from Rafa to let Stan take three sets from him.

He was quite pumped up and vamosed a few times in the last set. :D

mallorn
01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Of course it's Tio Toni that is Rafa's coach - but I did notice the line that Rafa and Roger have been talking to each other for quite some time together after Shanghai - and I don't think you have to be a slasher to accept there's at least some kind of friendship between the two, as they've admitted themselves. (I didn't say 'close', did I? ;) )
Maybe you understand 'dear friend' in a different way than I do. I just don't call everybody I like a 'dear friend.' :shrug: I do think they like and respect each other but, as Rafa said, there's a language barrier, not to mention the age difference. I think it was telling that Raf said he was surprised how much they talked in Seoul - clearly he hadn't expected it, so they can't have had many long conversations before. I suspect that with their busy schedules they don't really have many opportunites to spend time together, even during tournaments. Rafa said, "I couldn't say that he is a really good friend of mine, but I get on well with him, better than with many others on the tour." (Which, BTW, made me very curious about the 'many others.' :devil: )

I don't know who they modelled the service motion after, but I know Rafa and Toni planned to do the work on Raf's serve during the previous off-season, but couldn't because of the foot injury. A lot of thought, dedication and effort went into it (1000 serves in 4 days just a few days after Shanghai) and the way you summed it up implied that it was just a simple matter of listening to Roger's advice. I know you were joking but it still seemed a bit dismissive to me. You just happened to touch a sore point. ;) The way Toni is joked about and not given credit by many on this forum annoys me. :( The geniuses in GM have no clue about him and to what extent he influenced Rafa and the best they can do is repeat the frigging joke about him fixing the draws. :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
01-18-2007, 05:54 PM
...and the way you summed it up implied that it was just a simple matter of listening to Roger's advice. I know you were joking but it still seemed a bit dismissive to me. You just happened to touch a sore point. ;) The way Toni is joked about and not given credit by many on this forum annoys me. :( The geniuses in GM have no clue about him and to what extent he influenced Rafa and the best they can do is repeat the frigging joke about him fixing the draws. :rolleyes:

Please, Mallorn, I was only joking! I did put a little :devil: -icon behind my post, didn't I? But I get your point, if this is a sore point for you, that it may have appeared a little dismissive -but believe me, that was NEVER my intention. I am sorry to have hurt your feelings. :hug:

Mind you, I do not belong to that large continent of MTF-posters that dismiss Toni - I think he's done an incredible job getting his nephew as far as he already got. And I know enough about statistics to know all those draw-rigging jokes are pure nonsense. You won't ever catch me joining in on any of those, I ensure you!

Okay, now for Rafa's match - which I was lucky to see in its entirety. :D
Highly entertaining and exciting, I must say! Kohlschreiber did an excellent job, very nice playing, and most definitely gave Rafa a much harder task than he had expected (that's what I think, anyway). I have to say the game's level wasn't that high, but it was as I said, very entertaining. Excellent shots from both (GREAT net play!!!) exchanged with very embarrassing UE's - Kohlschreiber gave the term 'moonballing' ;) a new meaning I think, as he indeed sent a few balls... to the moon! :)
I enjoyed every minute of the match, and kudos to both players for that.

With regards to Rafa: he isn't there, yet. It was obvious he was truly being tested. Double faults, UE's, general sloppiness - this will have to improve. I'm sure Rafa will work on this, and of course, this match was an excellent test for him - and will most definitely make him ever so sharp for his next match. Vamos Rafa!:worship:

And now, I'll have to take care of the roof tiles which are being blown from my roof... we are having a terrible 10 Beaufort storm at this moment!

Tess Gray
01-18-2007, 06:39 PM
I watched Rafa's match too.. and I actually liked it.. As you said claybuster.. not amazing tennis but very entertaining:D

And the storm :o OMG!! I was watching Rafa's match.. and my roof was actually moving..!! I think it's still on though ;)

VAMOS RAFA!!:worship:

Sunset of Age
01-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I watched Rafa's match too.. and I actually liked it.. As you said claybuster.. not amazing tennis but very entertaining:D

And the storm :o OMG!! I was watching Rafa's match.. and my roof was actually moving..!! I think it's still on though ;)

VAMOS RAFA!!:worship:

Ah yeah, the Storm...! The roof's still on here, but there are a few tiles missing - fortunately nobody was out on the street when they came down.

Ah, another very heavy night for me coming up... Rogi's turn tonight...

mallorn
01-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Please, Mallorn, I was only joking! I did put a little :devil: -icon behind my post, didn't I? But I get your point, if this is a sore point for you, that it may have appeared a little dismissive -but believe me, that was NEVER my intention. I am sorry to have hurt your feelings. :hug:
Oh, you didn't hurt my feelings, it just rubbed me the wrong way. ;) Nevermind, I found out long ago that I have a different sense of humour to most people here. :p :D

Ah yeah, the Storm...! The roof's still on here, but there are a few tiles missing - fortunately nobody was out on the street when they came down.
The wind is sooo strong here as well! And it's supposed to pick up even more during the night. :eek:

Johnny Groove
01-18-2007, 11:33 PM
what kind of storms do you guys get? not hurricanes, i hope ;)

also, i must say that having shotty internet access (stealing it from neighbor while he is at supermarket :o ) is really annoying, especially during a slam.

i havent had internet for about a week :o

mallorn
01-19-2007, 12:10 AM
what kind of storms do you guys get? not hurricanes, i hope ;)
Actually, Western Europe has been hit by a hurricane, Kyrill. There are more than a dozen fatalities. :eek: Over here it's not so bad yet, but it's supposed to blow at 180 km/h during the night. :scared:
also, i must say that having shotty internet access (stealing it from neighbor while he is at supermarket :o ) is really annoying, especially during a slam.

i havent had internet for about a week :o
What happened to your regular internet access? I had some problems too, my router broke down and not only did I have to cough up for a new one, but spent over an hour setting it up. :mad: It's working like a charm now, though. :yeah:

An article from AP:
Nadal advances at Australian Open

By JOHN PYE, AP Sports Writer

Rafael Nadal was knocked down, not out. Hit once on the hand and sent sprawling by another stinging shot aimed in his direction, Nadal kept his composure in a 7-5, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 win Thursday over Philipp Kohlschreiber and reached the third round of the Australian Open.

After zinging a shot into Nadal's left hand at 1-1 in the second set, Kohlschreiber went right at Nadal again in the next game, knocking him down with another laser. Nadal blocked it back as he fell away and dropped his racket, allowing the German to hit an easy winner. Nadal got up slowly, looking over his shoulder and shaking his head.

"The first one I understand, fine — you are in the net, you want to win the point," Nadal said. "But the second one ... he has all court."

Kohlschreiber went for broke, ripping 48 winners and 58 unforced errors in the 3 1/2-hour match.

"He was in the way, I think," Kohlschreiber said. "It's tough, if you're not sure to pass him, go to the middle and play fast. I know he's not used to play so good volleys. For me, it was just a normal play."

It takes more than a few stingers to intimidate the muscular Nadal, who has spent a record 78 weeks at No. 2 in the rankings behind Roger Federer. But the Spaniard did not help himself, losing his serve three times in the third set.

"It was very important for me — a very good test because I finished the match very good physically," he said. "I didn't play good in the third set ... I didn't have confidence in my serve. But it came back."

Nadal won five titles last season, but has not returned to a final since losing at Wimbledon to Federer last July. He recently was upset in the semifinals at Chennai and then retired with a groin strain from the Sydney International last week. He said a win against Kohlschreiber is another move in the right direction.

"That gives me very good confidence," he said. "This is the first match in the year when I feel better, I feel good in some moments. So that's very important or me."

(...)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070118/ap_on_sp_te_ga_su/ten_australian_open_53

For Nadalita :kiss:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/946/120bn7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

MariaV
01-19-2007, 02:48 AM
Masha! :smooch: I'm almost done at work. I'm so thrilled I feel like jumping up and down, I'll be able to watch almost all the matches now.. :yippee::lol: And chat and stuff. :)

What was up with Marat in his last match? :o :o :o I saw the result and thought "I hope Masha survived this! :eek: "

Marat was being typical Marat! :rolleyes:
So good you're not a Marat fan! This time I didn't die, I just couldn't take it any more when he was losing and playing so horribly all of a sudden in the 3rd set that I went to work. I was ready to strangle him! ;) A set and a break up and then oafing again! And he started so well, I even thought - oh, this is gonna be easy and finish before I have to go to work. Boy was I wrong again. That's our Mr Unpredictable for you! :rolleyes: But we Marat fans are used to dying so...

And good, hope I survive Friday at work and then get online more. :D See you around! :wavey:

MariaV
01-19-2007, 02:55 AM
P. S. I didn't see any of the Rafa's match but I saw Blake and even if it was vs a (weakish) kid Blake looks - :unsure: :scared:
That qf will be hard for Rafa.
Anyway, VAMOS!!!!!!! :bounce: :bigclap: :yippee:

MariaV
01-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Rafa said, "I couldn't say that he is a really good friend of mine, but I get on well with him, better than with many others on the tour." (Which, BTW, made me very curious about the 'many others.' :devil: )

Birdman, Djoker, Ljubo to name a few. :devil: ;)
I don't think he converses too much in English with the guys who don't speak Spanish. :shrug:
Sory for spamming.

mallorn
01-19-2007, 10:44 AM
^^ I love Marat. But luckily for me I don't die during his matches ... anymore. ;)

He and Andy are playing a very tight match. Marat oafed only once so far, when he was serving a break up in the first set, and of course went on to lose the TB. *sigh*

Rafa's interview is up:
R. NADAL/P. Kohlschreiber

7‑5, 6‑3, 4‑6, 6‑2

Q. Could you tell us where you got hit with those two balls, how badly it hurt. When Kohlschreiber hit you at the net with those two balls, where did it hit and badly did it hurt?

The first one there in the finger. The other one I touch with the racquet. The first one I understand hundred percent fine. You are in the net, you want to win the point. But the second one is a little bit struggling because he has all court for him, no? But it's fine.

Q. Where did the second one hit you?

No, no. In the racquet.

Q. On the racquet?

Yes. For very good luck on the racquet. For nothing put me in one eye, something, in the face.

Q. It was a good fight. Did you like it?

Yeah, I am happy with this match, no? Was very important for me. Is very good test because I finish the match very good physically. The first set I play very good tennis, too.

Kohlschreiber play a good match. Was playing great tennis. I just play bad maybe the final of third set, no? I serve bad. I play without confidence with my serve and with my forehand and backhand. I miss a lot.

But it's fine, no? After I come back very well with very good attitude. I am very happy for that, no? I feel faster on court than the other days, no? Today I feel the faster day when I start this season, no? I am happy. Maybe I improve my tennis here. I feel better here than Shanghai right now. I have good confidence next round.

Q. Were you surprised by the way he played?

No, I know every match is tough. You could see, Roddick was losing two sets to love against Tsonga. Safin two sets to one. When you are at the hotel and you saw the TV, when you go on court, you think, I going to have a difficult match, too.

Q. Does it give you confidence that you don't play your best and you still win?

Well, that's very important, no? Is very important win when you're not playing the best because that's a good point. That give me very good confidence. But I am happy with my game today. I feel better. Maybe is the first match in the year when I feel better, I feel good in some moments, no? So that's very important. I am trying every day to get my hundred percent. But I am fine. I improving every day, so that's very important for me.

Q. Do you feel like you need to improve in your service games?

He was returning the ball very well. He was returning very well. But I won the first set with one break. I play bad this break, no? I miss some balls. But after he play good. In the third set, he has very good points when I was serving. Sometimes is not easy, no? But, well, I need continuing improve my serve always. And sometimes the problem is not just in the serve. You have one player in front. You have to compete against him. He can return very well. Sometimes you need more luck than the other.

Q. Do you expect a more difficult task in the next round?

Well, every match is very difficult, no? You never know what's happening the next round. He is a very good player. He play very aggressive all the time. He play very fast. We will see. Going to have a difficult match. I need play my best for win, no? But I feel better every day and I will try.

Q. What do you know about him? Never played him?

I think I never play against him. He's a good player. I saw him lot of time on the tournaments. I know he has very good backhand. He play very good all the time, touching the ball very hard.

Q. Fans were very loud. Did the Spanish fans help you or did the German fans bother you at all?

Everything is fine, no? The atmosphere was fine. Always here I play good matches here against Hewitt against one Australian. The people here is very nice, respectful with the game. Was nice. The German, the Spanish, so everything fine.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2007-01-18/200701181169109221578.html

Tess Gray
01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Storm is over.. My roof is still on:D a couple of things in the garden didnt make but.. ooh well;)

Nice interview! thanks:)
Vamos!:worship:

sondraj06
01-19-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry but I don't get the marat thing, for a while I've been coming to this board and reading post but only recently started posting. But I always hear about, these so hot players, that I never get to see because I didn't have cable, until now and they only show so much of the same players on regular t.v, during certain slams. so now that I get to see these folk I don't see it. Marat to me looks like frankenstein, no offense to any one. not knocking you if you like him, that is just what I thought the first time I saw him. and I didn't even know who he was until his match with andy so. And from the way people talk about his attitude makes me wonder what's so special, yeah don't see it. and then there's felicano right I guess and he's not terrible cute either so, I don't know not my cup of tea. but question what I really don't get besides the looks thing, is the obssession with andy murray, I have seriously yet to see what is so great about this boy and his tennis playing, he seems average to me, and it seems like there are a lot of other better fit young and up coming tennis stars to look out for. So if some one could explain it to me, why everyone's so impressed with him. thanx

Denisse
01-19-2007, 03:14 PM
marat is funny...if you get his sense of humor, but i guess if you want to know about all those players you should go to their forums, people there will tell you :p we'll tell you about rafa :)

yana
01-19-2007, 06:33 PM
So rafa's match begin in the morning reunion, the third after two women match. how long do you think those two matches would last? I think 3 hours.

Sunset of Age
01-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Marat to me looks like frankenstein, no offense to any one.

You're not the only one, don't worry... Marat's looks don't do it for me either. He is too tall for me! :devil: But I do think he has an interesting personality and a good sense of humor, so I understand why he's so much liked.

Storm hasn't done too much damage to my own place but I've read that there is at least for 160 million euro damage cost in my country...

Well, looking forward to tonight! Hope it's going to be a good match for Rafa (of course!). Till laters...
VAMOS!

Sunset of Age
01-19-2007, 06:35 PM
So rafa's match begin in the morning reunion, the third after two women match. how long do you think those two matches would last? I think 3 hours.

Three hours would be a reasonable guess... but I remember I expected Shutupova to take less than an hour for her match two days ago, and it lasted... ages!
Let's hope the ladies make quick work of it this time.

yana
01-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Three hours would be a reasonable guess... but I remember I expected Shutupova to take less than an hour for her match two days ago, and it lasted... ages!
Let's hope the ladies make quick work of it this time.

tell me about it! because of her i lost most of Rafa's match. when i wake up he had match point in the third set. and I thought: that's it, it's over, after 20minutes I can see Rafa! But you know what happend next...So I go back to sleep and I put my alarm clock two hours later and I manage to see only the last game from rafa's match. :mad:

Weebl
01-19-2007, 08:42 PM
OMG :eek:
I'm at my fathers and because of the storm the dish was blown away!
And since he lives in a little village with no cable :fiery: that means no tv and no Rafa for me :sad:

but anyway; Vamoooss :kiss: I hope Rafa will show You some fabulous tennis so I'll be a little less dissapointed :angel:

Johnny Groove
01-19-2007, 08:46 PM
my internet is back! Now i dont have to be a criminal! :banana: :banana: :banana:

:smooch:

cmurray
01-19-2007, 09:54 PM
wow. Was all of Europe getting a huge storm? It is snowing in upstate NY right now....as it always is in January. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope you all are okay.

mallorn
01-19-2007, 10:22 PM
^^ Yes, the storm was huge. Over 40 people were killed and there was huge material damage. In fact, the weather in Europe has been totally abnormal as this has been the warmest winter in recorded history. E.g. in Poland we haven't had snow ONCE this winter (except for the mountains) and it's been over 10 degrees Celsius almost daily (whereas last year at this time we had -20 degrees for two weeks).

The weird thing is, I slept through the whole thing. :o I was so tired after all the work and the tennis that I didn't hear the thunder, the hail, or the wind that was blowing so hard it uprooted two trees in a nearby park. :o

Jonathan, I'm happy to read you're not a criminal anymore. :lol: :yeah:

Johnny Groove
01-19-2007, 10:55 PM
i hope all the Europeans are ok, as that storm sounds bad :eek:

we had a bunch of hurricanes in the past 2 years, 04 and 05 (including Wilma, which hit the day AFTER Rafa won madrid, luckily not the day before, as i didnt have power for a week, and i woulda pulled out my hair wondering about the result :o ) and in 06, every "expert" was calling doomsday for Florida and NOTHING happened :o

but, back on topic, i really hope the womens matches dont take too long (though im Sure they will, WTA is such a joke) so i can see Rafa at a decent hour :banana:

adee-gee
01-20-2007, 05:27 AM
Rafa wins 6-2 6-2 6-2 :dance: definitely worth being up at 5am for :D

The best he's played for a long time. Wawrinka was poor, but Rafa really stepped it up. His forehand looked a lot better and he was really aggressive.

And the shot on match point :hearts: :worship:

Sunset of Age
01-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Excellent match from Rafa!

He totally demolished Wawrinka. Was he even there on court or was that his not-so-talented twin brother we haven't yet heard of before?

VAMOS RAFA!

MariaV
01-20-2007, 05:35 AM
LOVELY, LOVELY, LOVELY MATCH!!!!!!!! GREAT SERVING, GREAT VARIETY!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
And lovely scoreline 6-2 6-2 6-2!!!!!! :D :D :D
VAMOS!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

MariaV
01-20-2007, 05:48 AM
And the shot on match point :hearts: :worship:

Oh that was one fun challenge from Wawa! :haha: It was great, Wawa wasn't smiling though. HAHA

I must say Wawa has the shots, he wasn't as poor as you make him Adam, and the match was long again because he could come up with great shots sometimes, it's just that at ALL the crucial moments Rafa played better, and as played the decisive points really well today it should give him more confidence facing the evil Blake should it ever come to that. :D

MariaV
01-20-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm sorry but I don't get the marat thing, for a while I've been coming to this board and reading post but only recently started posting. But I always hear about, these so hot players, that I never get to see because I didn't have cable, until now and they only show so much of the same players on regular t.v, during certain slams. so now that I get to see these folk I don't see it. Marat to me looks like frankenstein, no offense to any one. not knocking you if you like him, that is just what I thought the first time I saw him. and I didn't even know who he was until his match with andy so. And from the way people talk about his attitude makes me wonder what's so special, yeah don't see it. and then there's felicano right I guess and he's not terrible cute either so, I don't know not my cup of tea. but question what I really don't get besides the looks thing, is the obssession with andy murray, I have seriously yet to see what is so great about this boy and his tennis playing, he seems average to me, and it seems like there are a lot of other better fit young and up coming tennis stars to look out for. So if some one could explain it to me, why everyone's so impressed with him. thanx

Well, tastes differ you know. And it's totally OK, would be boring if everyone had the same tastes and same opinions on everything. :lol:
About Murray I like his tennis, I like that he's thinking on court, coming up with interesting answers. :D And he improved a lot last year, I'm impressed by what Brad's brought to him. :D And I really hope he can bring the Wimbledon title to the UK again, FINALLY! :D
I was disappointed by Marat's complaining and whining tbh, I don't idealize him, I just got so hooked on him after seeing his amazing tennis and for one personal reason. I am not obsessed by anyone though, not Marat or even Rafa. :lol:

mallorn
01-20-2007, 08:48 AM
A very good match, nice to see Rafa step it up and boss Stan on the court. :D :D :D I'm sure he was delighted with how easy it proved to be ... maybe he heard people speculating Wawrinka had a shot at him and he wanted to make a point. :lol: As for me, I was very happy to see Rafa serve well, be more aggressive and particularly play the big points well, again. He won seven out of eleven BPs and was broken only once. :yeah: Also, he seemed incredibly focused throughout the match. :worship:

AP via Forbes:
Nadal, Sharapova Advance at Aussie Open

By JOHN PYE 01.20.07, 2:55 AM ET

Rafael Nadal wasn't really challenged by Stanislas Wawrinka until the last point. The second-seeded Nadal breezed into the fourth round of the Australian Open with a 6-2, 6-2, 6-2 victory Saturday, curling a forehand winner into the right corner on match point that just caught both the side and baseline.

The players walked to the net - Wawrinka challenging the "in" call just for the record - and shook hands when video replays confirmed the ball was good.

Nadal made only 19 unforced errors in 24 games, and dropped serve just once - when already up two breaks in the second set.

The 20-year-old Spaniard said it was an improvement on his second-round win over Philipp Kohlschreiber, when he thought he played his best tennis of the year.

"Today I improved - I play my best today for sure for a long time," said Nadal, who has spent a record 78 weeks at No. 2 behind Roger Federer. "I played a very complete match.

"I am very happy because if I continue playing like today, I have a chance for a win."

He could next play Scotland's Andy Murray, the only man other than him to beat Federer last year.

Murray was due to play Juan Ignacio Chela of Argentina in a Saturday night match. That was moved indoors to Vodafone (nyse: VOD - news - people ) Arena after play on all outside courts was called off for the day because of rain.

(...)

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/01/20/ap3345651.htmlors in 24

AFP via ABC Sport:
Nadal closing in on peak form

Spain's world number two Rafael Nadal cranked up his Australian Open campaign in Melbourne with his best performance of the tournament on Saturday, a straight sets demolition of Stanislas Wawrinka.

Nadal, seeded to meet defending champion Roger Federer in the final, took just over two hours to put away the Swiss 31st seed 6-2, 6-2, 6-2 and surge into the last 16.

Standing in the French Open champion's path to the quarter-finals is either British 15th seed Andy Murray or Argentina's Juan Ignacio Chela.

The 20-year-old left-hander looked in sparkling touch at times against Federer's Swiss Davis Cup team-mate, securing seven service breaks to reach the fourth round in Melbourne for the second time in three attempts.

"I played my best match, 100 per cent. I played very, very good. I'm happy for that," Nadal said.

"I am improving. I finished with very good feelings in the fourth set of my last match and today I improved the tennis. I played my best all the time.

"I feel very comfortable with my forehand, with my serve, with my backhand. Today maybe I played a very complete match.

"I am very happy because if I continue playing like this, like today, I have a chance for a win, for a winner's match."

It was not all one-way traffic against Wawrinka. He outscored Nadal with outright winners 25 to 21, evenly spread between his forehand and backhand.

"Today maybe I won 6-2, 6-2, 6-2, but always the points are tough. But in every set I have 4-1 with two breaks, so that's important," said Nadal.

(...)

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200701/s1830540.htm

Naide
01-20-2007, 08:49 AM
wow he killed him

adee-gee
01-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh that was one fun challenge from Wawa! :haha: It was great, Wawa wasn't smiling though. HAHA

I must say Wawa has the shots, he wasn't as poor as you make him Adam, and the match was long again because he could come up with great shots sometimes, it's just that at ALL the crucial moments Rafa played better, and as played the decisive points really well today it should give him more confidence facing the evil Blake should it ever come to that. :D

Stan wasn't terrible, definitely not at his best though. But I think that was mainly down to Rafa. If Rafa had played like he had been recently I think it could've been a very different match, but he was much more aggressive and looked more confident that I've seen him in a while.

Chela/Murray next, Rafa's game matches up really well against either of them :)

linus
01-20-2007, 09:57 AM
an easy win is always welcome, isnt it :aplot: :yippee:

but I have to say I did plan to stop watching this match from time to time after the 1st set, of course I still would like to watch it when Rafa serving. Stan knew what he should try but he wasnt able to control it to work. he is not in his best form since this early year, Rafa didnt feel much pressure.

but Rafa stood kinda far away from line when returning again, this was scaring to me (his opponents will shot easily winners) :aplot: some times he was forced to one side of court to make himself in danger while Stan had too many errors :lol:

btw... I like Rafa' cruel eyes when he couldnt win some balls :lol:

get ready for something better, Rafa :hug: you have such a big chance to go further so dont waste too much of your own energy please :angel:

Naide
01-20-2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.eurosport.es/tenis/mc_vid32751.shtml

Tess Gray
01-20-2007, 01:01 PM
OMG :eek:
I'm at my fathers and because of the storm the dish was blown away!
And since he lives in a little village with no cable :fiery: that means no tv and no Rafa for me :sad:

but anyway; Vamoooss :kiss: I hope Rafa will show You some fabulous tennis so I'll be a little less dissapointed :angel:

Too bad you couldn't see it :( but I couldn't either because it was in the middle of the night... Im glad he won though!! :D

BTW.. its my birthday today..!! :D

atheneglaukopis
01-20-2007, 01:08 PM
I see Rafa is rocking on. :yeah:

MariaV
01-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Saturday, 20 January, 2007
R. NADAL/S. Wawrinka
6-2, 6-2, 6-2

An interview with: RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Question, please.

Q. Was it a harder match than the scores indicated?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, always. Every match is tough. Every match is different. Every match have difficult moments.

But today maybe I won 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. But always the points are tough. But in every set I have 4-1 with two breaks, so that's important, no?

Q. Are you happy with your form going into the second week? Is this where you would like to be?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, for sure I'm happy today. I play my best match, hundred percent. I play good today - very, very good. I'm happy for that.

Q. It was the first time you played Wawrinka. What do you think about him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he has a very good shots. He serve well. Very good backhand. On the forehand sometimes irregular. So what? He's young, too. He can improve. He's No. 31 in the world right now, so that's very good number, and improving.

Q. If you play Murray next, how different will he be to Wawrinka, the challenge?

RAFAEL NADAL: A hundred percent different. He's a different player, different style, everything different. You can't compare the matches, no?

We will see. If is Murray, is going to be very difficult match. If it's Chela, too. We will see Murray's improving his game. He's very young. Just one less than me, yeah. Well, he start good the season in Doha playing the final. We will see.

Q. You knew him in Spain?

RAFAEL NADAL: When he was in Spain, I never practice with him. He was in Barcelona and I live in Mallorca all the time. Different places.

Q. How much more confident are you having played like that compared to Thursday night?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am improving, no? I tell last night I finish with very good feelings in the fourth set. I play my best tennis in the season, and today improve the tennis. I play may best today for sure all the time.

I feel very comfortable with my forehand, with my serve, with my backhand, too. Today maybe I played a very complete match. That's it. I am very happy because if I continuing play like this, like today, I have a chance for a win, for a winner's match. I can lose too, but I have chance to win. :worship: :worship:

Q. Are you peaking at the right time?

RAFAEL NADAL: From this year?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: For sure, yeah, hundred percent. :D :D :D

Q. Do you feel physically 100% now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, for sure. Before the match was a little bit tired, because last match, last night, I have a difficult match, and I don't have too much time. I finish very late. I was sleeping at 5:30, 6:00 in the morning. Just have one day and a little bit more.

But, well, today was not very long match. That's important. For Monday, I going to have hundred percent, for sure.

Q. You don't feel the injury any more?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't feel nothing. Thank you. :D :D

Q. You have won many titles as a young player, have lived with the pressure of being No. 2. You've seen in England on your visits what happens to English players under expectation. The pressure that Murray is under, is it the same as yours, or do you see it as different?

RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, well, the pression, everyone have his pression, no? I am No. 2, but maybe he wants to be the No. 2 or No. 1, no? I am No. 2 right now. But I have my pression because I want to continue being No. 2, and he have the pression for come to No. 2. That's it. :angel:

I want to enjoy when I am on court. Now I am -- I feel with a good feeling when playing tennis. When you are playing well and you are in third round, fourth round in Australia, you have to be happy and play. For sure I want to win and I have pression, but everyone have the same.

Q. Is Murray one of the players that you think in years to come will be one of your great rivals?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know, no? I say he's very good player. He can be one of the best players in the world. He is one of the best players of the world right now, no? But he can continuing like this and win Grand Slams, win very good titles. That's it.

I don't know if in three years, four years I going to be in the top five. But you never know in the future, no? So for sure he has a very good potential. But is coming very good players, too, no?

Young players, new generation, still very good generation: Nalbandian, Hewitt, Roddick, Federer, Davydenko, Blake, Robredo. Every player is there and everyone wants to win because Federer is not old, Roddick is not old, Blake is not old, too. Robredo, Davydenko, every player is maximum 26. So everyone have the chance.

Q. After you won the French Open this year, people were surprised you haven't won since. Coming into 2007, is there any reason why you didn't quite go on in the second half of last season?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I know every player in the tour knows how difficult is win a title, no? I don't know. Ferrero was four years maybe playing the Masters Cup, or three. He has 11 titles. Moya, I don't know, a lot of years playing the tour, five Masters Cup, one of the best players of the world every year. He has maybe 19 titles. You know how difficult is win the title, no?

I play very bad -- me, in my opinion, I play very bad in Toronto, Cincinnati, the first two Masters Series of the second half of the season. After I play a very good US Open. I play a good US Open. I have a very good chance for be in the semifinals. I lost against Youzhny. Youzhny was playing very good. I play very good in Madrid. Lost against Berdych, was playing a very good match. I lost the semifinals of Shanghai against the best, Federer. That's it. I don't play too much tournaments, just play six tournaments. I have my chance in three.

Q. Murray has made a habit of beating Spanish players. He beat Martin, then Verdasco. Have you spoken to either of them since they played the matches?

RAFAEL NADAL: We will see. I have chances -- more chances to lose than to win. I don't know. Every match is different. Every player is different. No one Spanish player is the same. I don't know. For sure he has the chance.

If he win today, he has a chance for beat me and arrive to the final and win the tournament because he's very good player. But I will try my best.

Q. What about Chela?

RAFAEL NADAL: If it Chela, going to be tough match, too. Chela is a veteran player. He has good experience in all surfaces. Going to be tough, too.

Rafa complimentary as always. :angel: Hasn't anyone told the lovely Spaniards the English word pressure? :lol:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2007-01-20/200701201169295219984.html

MariaV
01-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Nadal matches Open best
by Luke Buttigieg
Saturday, 20 January, 2007

Spaniard Rafael Nadal has equalled his best result at Melbourne Park by cruising through to the fourth round of Australian Open 2007.

The 20-year-old matched his 2005 effort in reaching the round of 16 at the year's opening Grand Slam when he brushed aside the challenge of Swiss No.31 seed Stanislas Wawrinka 6-2 6-2 6-2.

Fresh from victories over American Robert Kendrick and German Philipp Kohlschreiber on Days Two and Four respectively, Nadal needed only 122 minutes to ease past 21-year-old Wawrinka under the closed roof at Rod Laver Arena.

The dual French Open champion's reward as he strives to reach the last eight for the first time Down Under is a clash with fellow young gun Andy Murray, the No.15 seed from Scotland, who saw off Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela in three sets.

Nadal and Murray have never met before on the ATP Tour.

Match Facts

• Nadal's first serve percentage was high at 71 per cent compared to Wawrinka's respectable 55

• Nadal also won an amazing 84 per cent of those successful first serves against 58 to Wawrinka

• Wawrinka won the winner count with 25 to 21 but Nadal committed fewer unforced errors with 19 to 32

• Nadal won a total of 99 points for the match to Wawrinka's 62

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2007-01-20/200701201169271173421.html

NaDALiTa
01-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Well done chiquito !!! :woohoo: it was much more better than the 2d round , i'm really happy with the level he shown, it will be tough against Murray, but impossible is not spanish ;) ;)

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4937/rafalq5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

BRING ON MURRAY :aplot: :haha: :haha:

Johnny Groove
01-20-2007, 03:06 PM
that forehand on mp :drool:

sondraj06
01-21-2007, 01:16 AM
I just got into the biggest argument about Roger, like ever, probably in the history of this forum. Because I said I thought Roger was arrogant. But it stemmed honeslty from the fact that I was so tired of everyone coming down so hard on nadal, not his tennis but him, so I wrote a post seriously asking people why they hated him so much, and outline some things I thought was arrogant about Roger. But reafirmed that I was not bashing him, just pointing out that he has some not so admirable qualities as well, but I don't take every opportunity to insult him when I post, and that just turn into hell from there. Now I know, this is not the place to have anything less than favorable opinion about the king of gods Roger Federer. But the Post was in the Gonzalez vs. hewitt thread In genereal messages and it starts like on 7 or 8. and it just went from there. won't do that again. but now the threads ruined so, yeah fed fans need to take a chill.

but here is the link to my blog about it, check it out it goes into full detail, but if you won't to read the argument go ahead it entertaining.

But here's a link to my blog about it

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog&pop=1&indicate=1

atheneglaukopis
01-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Rafa complimentary as always. :angel: Hasn't anyone told the lovely Spaniards the English word pressure? :lol:No, we're just going to start saying "pression" too. :lol:

winterskies
01-21-2007, 03:43 AM
No, we're just going to start saying "pression" too. :lol:

It's my word of the day. :lol:

yana
01-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Rafa's match is the second in the evening session...guess what? after Sharapova's. that's a good sign. till now she brought luck to our kid.

MariaV
01-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Cheer hard for the kid! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap: :bounce:
I will be at work but I hope to see the match later! :D
VAMOS! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap: :bounce:

adee-gee
01-21-2007, 07:08 PM
I hope it's a good match :awww:

Whoever wins, I want to win the tournament. I want Rafa to win because I think he needs the win more than Murray.

Vamos :rocker2:

Johnny Groove
01-21-2007, 07:10 PM
murray has NO CHANCE :)

Johnny Groove
01-21-2007, 07:21 PM
currently, the first 7 topic on GM are about Federer and Nadal, including a thread titled "Federer is God" :rolleyes:, and all of them bashing Rafa, degrading his performances and downplaying his chances at the final :lol:

MariaV
01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Jonathan, and you of course cannot stay away. :lol:
It's OK.

He can beat Murray tomorrow but I am sooooooo afraid of Blake. :scared: :unsure:
Another Blake-Fed snorefest final would not be good. :yawn:

Johnny Groove
01-21-2007, 07:24 PM
its impossible to stay away :kiss:

adee-gee
01-21-2007, 07:48 PM
currently, the first 7 topic on GM are about Federer and Nadal, including a thread titled "Federer is God" :rolleyes:, and all of them bashing Rafa, degrading his performances and downplaying his chances at the final :lol:
:lol: but you started one which was inevitably going to turn into a Rafa bashing thread :smash:
Jonathan, and you of course cannot stay away. :lol:
It's OK.

He can beat Murray tomorrow but I am sooooooo afraid of Blake. :scared: :unsure:
Another Blake-Fed snorefest final would not be good. :yawn:
Don't be scared dear Maria :smooch:.....James has to beat Gonzo first which won't be easy. And it's time for Rafa to beat James :armed:

MariaV
01-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Ah, good to see you optimistic Adam! :kiss: :D
It's high time for Rafa to beat James indeed, but will he be able to? :scared: :unsure:

Johnny Groove
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
what can i say? im an instigator :devil:

and Rafa will destroy murray, beat Blake, beat Berdych, and beat Roger :yeah:

Tess Gray
01-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Personally I think it's a little pathetic what they're doing in the GM thread... Bashing each other... :o

I hope Rafa wins tomorrow and I thinkhe has a good shot!!:cool:

Vamos Rafa!!:)

adee-gee
01-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Ah, good to see you optimistic Adam! :kiss: :D
It's high time for Rafa to beat James indeed, but will he be able to? :scared: :unsure:
No more scared smilies! You're making me nervous :o :smash:

Noooo we don't want him to destroy Murray, we like Murray :awww:

adee-gee
01-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Jonathan I can't believe you've got me roped into this :help:

mallorn
01-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Jonathan I can't believe you've got me roped into this :help:
Boys. :D
That'll shut the haters up. For a couple of hours. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mallorn
01-21-2007, 08:25 PM
About the match, I'm with Adam and Jonathan, positive thinking, and one match at a time! ;)

Unfortunately I won't be able to see the match live as I'll be at work as well, :( although maybe I'll manage to pop back home for a moment to check the result.

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/k015.gif

VAMOS RAFA!

Sunset of Age
01-21-2007, 09:50 PM
The best way to end those pathetic hate threads (from BOTH sides, I might as well add) is to stay away from those and NOT post there - and certainly not to start threads yourself which will without any doubt derail into another mutual bashing thread... no offense meant, just saying. :rolleyes:
In other words: don't feed the trolls.

And again - not all that think that Federer is great (which he IS) hate Rafa. Rafa himself is perfectly capable of respecting Federer and vice versa - wish their fans could just have the maturity to follow their example. :angel:

I'll be following Rafa's match live tomorrow! Wow!
And of course I expect him to beat Murray. Vamos, Rafa! :worship:

NicoFan
01-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm so nervous for Rafa's match. :scared:

But win or lose, he's our sweetie! :hug:

VAMOS RAFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fiery:

NaDALiTa
01-21-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm also very nervous and i can't miss the match........so i'll skip school to vamos our sweetie!!! Dunno what will be the key of the match willing maybe! :shrug: But i'm sure Rafa will give his best to kick Murray's butt as harder as possible :lol:

So Aupa RafiTa EL CraCk De Las Pistas !!!

Johnny Groove
01-22-2007, 01:39 AM
i dont want to skip school like Shanghai :lol:

veyonce
01-22-2007, 01:58 AM
I agree with ClayBuster. Don't post on those bashing threads.. Why feed the trolls...

On a lighter note, Murray's description about Rafa is so funny... :lol:

The Sun
Murray gets Rafael prize

By CHARLIE WYETT
January 22, 2007

ANDY MURRAY has revealed the moment Rafael Nadal persuaded him to quit Britain and move to Spain.

The Brit teenager is due to face the Spanish world No 2 in the fourth round of the Australian Open today.

He has never played singles against Nadal and will be aiming to become the first Brit to reach the quarter-finals here since John Lloyd in 1985.

Murray, 19, admits a chat at an event in Andorra was the key to him leaving his family for a two-year stint at the Casal-Sanchez Academy in Barcelona, where he developed into a rising star.

Also amused by Nadal’s dodgy hairstyle at the time, Murray said: “It was after the Under-16s European Team Cup when we had that discussion.”

“Rafa told me about facilities in Spain. He had Carlos Moya to practise with along with other top players. I had my mum and brother Jamie to play against.”

“It was then I decided I had to move to Spain to progress —— and I’ve been friends with Rafa since.”

“He’s a nice guy. His English is not the best but it’s not as though I can speak his language, so I can’t criticise.”

“The first time I saw him was maybe when I was 13. I remember watching him play and that his hairstyle was like a bowl.”

“He was saying ‘‘vamos’’ after every point.”

Murray, the 15th seed, has been impressive here and has yet to drop a set.

He added: “I am looking forward to the Nadal game as it will be a good test.”

“I must try to neutralise his speed. I could get close to him but it will be difficult.”

He will play on the main court, the Rod Laver Arena, at around 10.30am UK time after Maria Sharapova meets Vera Zvonareva.

The Scot added: “I’ve played Andy Roddick on Centre Court at Wimbledon but this is a huge match.”

Murray is appearing in only his seventh Grand Slam but he has now progressed to the fourth round for the third tournament in succession.

This is only his second Aussie Open but it took Tim Henman five attempts to reach the fourth round and Greg Rusedski seven visits before making the last 16.

Murray’s latest victim was Argie Juan Ignacio Chela, who he beat 6-3 6-2 6-4 on Saturday.

Chela said: “It will be a good fourth-round match. But Nadal is such a strong player.”

Nadal, 13 months older than Murray, has won two successive French Open titles and reached last year’s Wimbledon final.

He said: “If I continue to play well, I have a chance against Murray, but it is also a match I could lose. It will be difficult.”

British Davis Cup captain Lloyd, who reached the Aussie Open final in 1977, warned: “Andy can beat anybody over three sets but over five in hot conditions . . . he would have to play the match of his life to beat a good Nadal.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2007030406,00.html

Excerpts From Bordermail article:-

Unforced errors hit Smith
By MARK MURRAY

Meanwhile, Phil Shanahan’s son, Mark, will hit up with No.2 seed Rafael Nadal before his centre court match tonight.

Shanahan was requested by the Spanish ace yesterday and throttled balls with him in front of almost 1000 spectators in practice.

“It’’s awesome, I hit the ball really well too which is a bonus. Hopefully I might be able to get in and watch his match in the box,” he said.
http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/bm/sport/623197.html

chocc0
01-22-2007, 04:03 AM
omg i cant wait for tonights match, too bad Sharapova has to be on first, anyways Vamos rafa!

veyonce
01-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Hopefully Rafa can win in straight sets... Want him to get a good rest before his next opponent...

Daily Record
ANDY CAN TAKE RAF WITH THE SMOOTH
TENNIS: AUSTRALIAN OPEN... Silky style will see off Nadal

22 January 2007
By Alix Ramsay

MELBOURNE is buzzing and the locker room is taking note - this morning Andy Murray takes on Rafael Nadal, one of the leading lights of the new generation against the established order.

A place in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open is up for grabs and no one is willing to put money on the outcome.

Nadal, the world No.2 and the French Open champion, should, on paper, be the clear favourite over the world No.15, but so swift has been the Scot's progress and so impressive have been his recent results, that the showdown has everyone's mouth watering.

Sitting courtside and chewing his nails down to the knuckles will be Emilio Sanchez. It was to Sanchez's academy in Barcelona that Murray went as a spindly 15-year-old, emerging three years later to race up the rankings in his first two seasons on the tour and establish himself in the world's elite.

Sanchez, 41, retired from the pro tour in 1998 having won 15 singles titles, 50 doubles titles and having reached No.7 in the world singles rankings and No.1 in the doubles rankings. He knows what makes a champion. As Spain's Davis Cup captain, he also knows Nadal's game inside out. And when he looks at the match-up between the two men he doesn't see much to separate them.

Sanchez said: "I think Andy uses the angles a bit more than Rafa when he wants to open up the court. He has more of a smooth serve, more natural."

"Rafa has a manufactured serve because he's not naturally left-handed, he's right-handed, and when you have to throw something with your other hand it's more unnatural."

"Andy can step more inside the court and be more aggressive. But it will all depend on how long Andy can last. If he can last the entire match then it's going to be very interesting."

Whatever happens today, Sanchez knows the kid beanpole who arrived at his academy will challenge the old order soon enough.

He said: "First of all I was not impressed. Normally when you see a player you watch him and you can like him or not but you really find out about his abilities when you play with him."

"I played with him and I was amazed because it looked like he was not going to get to the ball and at the end he was not only getting to the ball he was doing something with the ball."

"This is something that you don't learn, you either have it or not. This is what the good players have."

"His fighting spirit just got stronger because in Spain you go to the small satellite tournaments, you go to the qualifying, you see 80 guys there from Spain, all so tough."

"I think that's what he understood more because he was already very big in his own country. But he was going there and seeing 80 guys just like him trying to make it and then he became tougher."

"Also from playing on the clay and being tough he really learned from it. You can see from the way he goes to the ball, it's more smooth. I think it's something that helped him."

"This year he is stronger and you can see that he serves better."

"The other day in the match with Verdasco he was struggling. But at the moment where he looks like he's angry and maybe he's going to lose it, then he starts to get into position and be more aggressive."

"Mentally he's a bit different to the others because he has more tools. He's also a fighter and that makes a difference."
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tennis/tm_headline=andy-can-take-raf-with-the-smooth-&method=full&objectid=18511556&siteid=66633-name_page.html

The Mirror

MURRAY'S SERVING TO MAKE NAD SAD

22 January 2007
Jim O'Brien In Melbourne

ANDY MURRAY must serve like a demon if he is to beat Rafael Nadal when the two young stars of tennis collide at the Australian Open today.

Brad Gilbert, the coach who has put Murray through a tough off-season training regime, laid out their plan yesterday for the match at Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena.

Gilbert said: "If Andy is having to do all the running, then it's going to be a tough night for him."

"The key is how well Andy serves, and how aggressively he can play."

Nadal, the world No.2 who has been hampered by injuries, is good friends with Murray from their days together as youngsters at a tennis school in Barcelona.

Yet this will be the first time the pair have met in competition and Murray said: "I think the first time I saw him was maybe when I was 13. It was at a European team championship. I just remember watching him playing."

"He had kind of a bowl haircut. He was bouncing around, he used to pick his shorts like he still does."

"He played similarly to how he does now. It's nice to see he hasn't really changed that much."

"He's someone who I have a lot of respect for. He has a good game, he fights a lot."

"I just want to see what sort of problems I can cause him and find game plans for the future when I play against him."

Nadal said: "I have more chances to lose than to win... because he's a very good player. He has a chance to beat me and go to the final and win the tournament because he is a very good player."

And Australian legend John Newcombe believes Murray can upset Nadal as he inevitably heads towards a place in the world top 10.

Newcombe, the Australian Open champion in 1973 and 1975 as well as three-time Wimbledon champion in 1967, 1970, and 1971, says the British No.1 has the firepower to break into the world's elite.

"Andy Murray, together with French pair, Richard Gasquet and Gael Monfils, is one of several young players who could cause a surprise this year," Newcombe said. "Federer is in a category apart from the other players in men's tennis and Nadal is in a category below him."

"Everybody else is in another category below those two, but anything can happen on any given day."

"If Andy plays his best tennis he could beat Nadal, but he can't afford to make many unforced errors, and will also have to serve very well."

Newcombe admires Nadal's consistency and added: "After the seasonending ATP Masters Cup in Shanghai last year, everybody went on holiday, except Nadal."

"He went straight back to Spain and started working on his serves and volleys the next day."

"Nadal leads the head-to-head with Federer 6-3 but Murray has to put all that out of his mind. It could be a close match."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/tm_headline=murray-s-serving-to-make-nad-sad-&method=full&objectid=18511935&siteid=94762-name_page.html

MariaV
01-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Jonathan, good boy for not skipping school! :yeah: :D

I LOVE GONZO, I LOVE GONZO!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: Absolutely incredible hitting from the man, a little shaky at finishing the match but got it done in 3 anyway, a totally new Gonzo mentally lately, I won't even be too sad should Rafa lose to him! :o :o
OK, that's all for now, I am off to work! :wavey:

NaDALiTa
01-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I only skip school for Australian Open and Roland Garros :haha:

Vamos Rafa, he is playing quite good right now,hope he won't go to the tie break.....i hate tie-breaks :fiery:

NicoFan
01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Rafa just broke in the 2nd.

Please hold!!!

VAMOS RAFA!

NicoFan
01-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Two sets all!!!

VAMOS RAFA!

adee-gee
01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Rafa is extremely lucky, he's not playing well. First set was pretty high standard but Rafa's returning is :help: every ball is landing in the service box, even off 2nd serves.

Murray at 7-6 4-1 was absolutely destroying him, Rafa was playing some horrible shots. Murray's level has dropped and Rafa has taken advantage, but Rafa still is playing terribly.

Murray looks injured, Rafa will win now but he's got no chance against Gonzalez playing like this.

Björki
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
vamos Rafa :bounce:

NicoFan
01-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the report Adam - I'm stuck at work and can't see it. :sad:

Bad news for Rafa - even if he gets by Murray that means Fernando will kill him. And while I like Fernando too, I'm a little annoyed with him right now :lol: so wanted Rafa to win that one.

VAMOS RAFA!

sondraj06
01-22-2007, 01:05 PM
yeah he doesn't have a chance against Gonzo playing like this,is he having girlfriend troubles, it does not seem like his mind is in it

adee-gee
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the report Adam - I'm stuck at work and can't see it. :sad:

Bad news for Rafa - even if he gets by Murray that means Fernando will kill him. And while I like Fernando too, I'm a little annoyed with him right now :lol: so wanted Rafa to win that one.

VAMOS RAFA!
I've gotta leave for work after this 3rd set :(

Rafa will win it in 4 now, he's got the break in the 3rd and doesn't really look like he's in much trouble, but he's still not playing well. Murray can't find a first serve and doesn't have the same conviction he had for the first set and a half.

adee-gee
01-22-2007, 01:11 PM
:help:

Dreadful game to gift the break back.

NicoFan
01-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Rafa... :sad:

Come on Rafa kick butt!

VAMOS RAFA!

adee-gee
01-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Painfully bad.

RogiFan88
01-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Rafa will bagel Wee Andrew...

Carlita
01-22-2007, 02:50 PM
:woohoo: :crazy: :bounce: yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! :D Thank you Rafa :hug:

NicoFan
01-22-2007, 02:52 PM
He did it!!

:woohoo: :bounce: :banana:

I'm sooo happy!

My internet crashed for most of the 4th set so I was really freaking out.

Yeay RAFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

silver7
01-22-2007, 03:03 PM
:woohoo:RAFA!!! Well done! This match was just :eek: Both played veeery well! :woohoo: RAFA

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Great heart RAFA

Forever Vamos RAFA

maqk
01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Rafa = SpainTennis King, what a player

adee-gee
01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Great fight. He needs to play like he did against Wawrinka to beat Gonzalez though, some of the shots he played today just won't get it done. The depth on his groundies was horrible, Murray was controlling every rally.

safinaferrero
01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
2nd post in this forum greaaaat match vs murray i was kinda afraid sometimes but nadal reacted as the great champion he is hat off to him !:hatoff: and muxa suerte contra Gonzalito

maqk
01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
SpainTennisKing is the best, what a match, how well he did in the end, I was sacared in ther 4th set when that Murray was serving too good but 6-1 in the final was a smash,

maqk
01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
RafaSpainTennisKing, love you for beating that Murray out of the Oz

mallorn
01-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Jesus. Christ. :help:

I've got to see this. I hope Murray was playing really well, cause if he didn't... :o :help:

I could only sneak a peek at the livescores a few times at work and each time Rafa was down. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the 7-6, 4-2 score, and then in the fifth when he was 2 BPs down in the first game. It's a blessing in disguise I couldn't see it live. :rolleyes:

I don't even want to think about Gonzo right now. :o

safinaferrero
01-22-2007, 03:31 PM
yeaah great wins not for murray fans he must have hoped during the match that Rafa wouldn't have the coj**** to play better but he played with el corazón :kiss:

NicoFan
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
It's a blessing in disguise I couldn't see it live. :rolleyes:

I feel the same way - I would have had a heart attack somewhere along the line. :lol:

VAMOS RAFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sunset of Age
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM

I've got to see this. I hope Murray was playing really well, cause if he didn't... :o :help:

Well, to inform you on forehand: Murray played AWESOME in the first and second set, really, really great tennis - very aggressive (in the tennis-meaning of the word, going to the net, serve-volley play) and that really got Rafa into trouble as was obvious from the scores. And NO, Rafa wasn't playing bad at all, he was doing very good, but Murray was on fire.

But... typical Andy... he couldn't finish it off. He had gazzillions of BP, but just couldn't break through, which was partly due to his own nervousness (I guess) and surely also due to Rafa's great fighting :worship: !

And that immense fighting spirit is what got Rafa through in the end.
Great performance from both - but the best won! ;)

ae wowww
01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Just heard a classic gag from Murray - apparently Nadal has never done weights before, and those are natural :lol:

Naide
01-22-2007, 05:25 PM
rafffffffffffffaaaaa te quieroooo vamoooos

mallorn
01-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Just heard a classic gag from Murray - apparently Nadal has never done weights before, and those are natural :lol:
Well, actually Rafa, as well as his previous and current trainer have been saying all along that he doesn't do much weightlifting. He does chin pull ups, swimming and weights - but with very few repetitions. They want to prevent him from gaining weight, which would be disastrous for his feet - in fact, he lost 4 kg in the off-season.

It's not like everybody else in his family is scrawny, all the men are powerfully built, so I don't see why people have such a huge problem with accepting that he's just built like that. :shrug: Besides, according to Tio Toni, the muscles seem twice as big on TV. ;)

Tess Gray
01-22-2007, 05:49 PM
I though Toni was the only coach Rafa's ever had...

Anyway, I dont think Rafa played that bad.. pretty good actually.. I loved the match... It was great tennis!!:D

I'm looking forward to the gonzo match!!

Vamos Rafa:bigclap:

adee-gee
01-22-2007, 06:20 PM

I could only sneak a peek at the livescores a few times at work and each time Rafa was down. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the 7-6, 4-2 score, and then in the fifth when he was 2 BPs down in the first game. It's a blessing in disguise I couldn't see it live. :rolleyes:

I don't even want to think about Gonzo right now. :o
:hug:

Murray did play very well, but I still think Rafa allowed him to play well. Maybe it's just me and it was hard watching a match where I really like both players, but I seem to be the only one who didn't think it was such a great match. Murray was hitting the ball really cleanly, but if you watch the match look at the depth of Rafa's returns and on his groundies (especially the backhand). Gonzo will eat those up.

yana
01-22-2007, 07:30 PM
seems that nadal's mental strenght is back! and that is very important for the next match. it's a totally different match with a totally different player. and i hope that it won't be a night session anymore because I want to see the maches.

Johnny Groove
01-22-2007, 09:15 PM
who says his mental strength is gone? how many break point did he save? thats right :)

afraid of Gonzo next round, and i was almost freakin out in my library, when i shoulda been doin research on Abe Lincoln :lol:

RogiFan88
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
it's not his mental strength that has returned, it's his confidence -- mental, he's always the same -- tough and relentless

Sunset of Age
01-22-2007, 10:02 PM
it's not his mental strength that has returned, it's his confidence -- mental, he's always the same -- tough and relentless

Well, not totally sure about this - to me it indeed seemed that Rafa was struggling with his confidence after Wimbly. It has been getting better and better since the Shanghai semifinal, I daresay. I guess it's a matter of definition - having confidence in ones ability could well be an integral part of one's overall mental strength.

And talking about mental toughness... it's Murray who needs some lessons on this matter, I gather. I mean - 17 BPs, 3 breaks? :eek:
Glad he didn't take those lessons before meeting Rafa, though. ;)

adee-gee
01-22-2007, 11:44 PM
I'd have to disagree, he still looks well short of confidence to me.

NicoFan
01-23-2007, 12:00 AM
afraid of Gonzo next round, and i was almost freakin out in my library, when i shoulda been doin research on Abe Lincoln :lol:

I'm afraid of Fernando too next round. :scared:

Gonzo has got a lot of confidence right now.

But as I always say, win or lose Rafa is our sweetie. :hug:

VAMOS RAFA!

mallorn
01-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Ok, here are my random thoughts on the match:

- Having watched the match without worrying about the result I must say Rafa didn't play poorly at all. The first set was brilliant, with both guys playing awesome tennis. They were very well-matched - all the stats show this as well. I haven't seen that many matches in the tournament so I can't talk, but after 6 games Mats said they were the best games of the tournament so far, tennis-wise. Throughout the match Andy threw everything at Rafa, and it worked for him in patches, but there were other patches were Rafa outplayed Andy. The only part of the match that worried me was the TB; Rafa tightening up like this drives me nuts. He was very tentative - he was giving Andy short balls, he wasn't aggressive at all; he hit 2 service winners and 4 UEs to Andy's 3 aces and 1 UE - and that was it, the set was gone, and Rafa didn't even make the TB competitive, after playing a brilliant set of tennis. What a waste, and it gave Andy momentum for the second set and made the match so much more difficult for Rafa. However, Rafa fought very well, and the way Andy was playing throughout it was certainly no disgrace to lose two sets to him. All in all, I think these two match up well and we can expect great matches from them in future.

- I don't care for the foul language that Andy uses during his matches at all but I can't help but love his game. He's got such a great movement and variety and he is so smart, and he fights so hard. Out of the young guns, he's definitely my favourite, game-wise. It's funny how he seems so grumpy but he was actually saying sweet :eek: things about Rafa both before and after the match. I loved the handshake and embrace at the net. It's great to see someone actually fight on the court rather than talk big in the pressroom *cough*Djokovic and Ljubicic*cough*. So :worship: to Andy, even though he almost scared me to death. :lol:

- I think Gonzo'll be a very tough match for Rafa, unless he has an off-day or chokes, which doesn't seem very likely. I hope Rafa isn't too tired, that's the second match that he finished in the middle of the night and it was probably dawn before he finally went to bed. I wish he could finally see the daylight during his match, but there's a fat chance of that happening.

I agree, that's the impression I got out of the TB. However, he's improving in that department and did well on BPs throughout the match.

Johnny Groove
01-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Did anyone else have their eyes watering up with the play in the 5th set? Sweet Lord, he played so well. :)

*cough*Djokovic and Ljubicic*cough*

They're all the same from that area :o

NicoFan
01-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Ok, here are my random thoughts on the match:

- Having watched the match without worrying about the result I must say Rafa didn't play poorly at all. The first set was brilliant, with both guys playing awesome tennis. They were very well-matched - all the stats show this as well. I haven't seen that many matches in the tournament so I can't talk, but after 6 games Mats said they were the best games of the tournament so far, tennis-wise. Throughout the match Andy threw everything at Rafa, and it worked for him in patches, but there were other patches were Rafa outplayed Andy. The only part of the match that worried me was the TB; Rafa tightening up like this drives me nuts. He was very tentative - he was giving Andy short balls, he wasn't aggressive at all; he hit 2 service winners and 4 UEs to Andy's 3 aces and 1 UE - and that was it, the set was gone, and Rafa didn't even make the TB competitive, after playing a brilliant set of tennis. What a waste, and it gave Andy momentum for the second set and made the match so much more difficult for Rafa. However, Rafa fought very well, and the way Andy was playing throughout it was certainly no disgrace to lose two sets to him. All in all, I think these two match up well and we can expect great matches from them in future.

- I don't care for the foul language that Andy uses during his matches at all but I can't help but love his game. He's got such a great movement and variety and he is so smart, and he fights so hard. Out of the young guns, he's definitely my favourite, game-wise. It's funny how he seems so grumpy but he was actually saying sweet :eek: things about Rafa both before and after the match. I loved the handshake and embrace at the net. It's great to see someone actually fight on the court rather than talk big in the pressroom *cough*Djokovic and Ljubicic*cough*. So :worship: to Andy, even though he almost scared me to death. :lol:

- I think Gonzo'll be a very tough match for Rafa, unless he has an off-day or chokes, which doesn't seem very likely. I hope Rafa isn't too tired, that's the second match that he finished in the middle of the night and it was probably dawn before he finally went to bed. I wish he could finally see the daylight during his match, but there's a fat chance of that happening.

I agree, that's the impression I got out of the TB. However, he's improving in that department and did well on BPs throughout the match.

Gracias Mallorn! So good to hear that the little man really played well.

And Adam... :smash: You had me loca all day thinking that our Rafa played poorly. I should know better than to trust you. :haha:

MariaV
01-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Thanks everyone. I haven't seen the match, just saw the last points and the handshake, really sweet. I like Muzza's game too. :kiss:

And I don't care if Rafa loses to Gonzo in the semis, Gonzo in the final would be nice too, I hope Gonzo will then beat the living daylight out of Fed the ballerina. :lol:

MariaV
01-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Yet another night match as expected. This time I WILL go home to watch. :armed: :fiery: Or at least watch it later. ;)
VAMOS!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap: :bounce: At least should be fun! :D

Rod Laver Arena Start Time 7:30 PM
Men's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)[10] vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

NaDALiTa
01-23-2007, 01:00 PM
i'm really disappointed by the schedule :( i'll be in class while Rafa will play :sobbing:

MariaV
01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Rafa's interview is not up. :(

Nadal grinds out five-setter to advance
by Jason Phelan
Monday, 22 January, 2007

No.2 seed Rafael Nadal is through to the quarterfinals of Australian Open 2007 after defeating Scot Andy Murray 6-7(3) 6-4 4-6 6-3 6-1 in a tremendous battle of wills on Rod Laver Arena on Day Eight.

Both players pulled out an astonishing array of shots during the titanic struggle that thrilled the crowd for three hours and 51 minutes on Monday night.

The No.15 seed had the world No.2 on the ropes at several different points in the encounter, but the Spaniard refused to give in and toughed out the five-set win to set up a quarterfinal clash against Chilean No.10 seed Fernando Gonzalez - his best result in an Australian Open so far.

Neither player was able to establish a break during the opening set, but two unforced errors from Nadal on his serve in the tiebreak proved crucial.

Taking over on serve, Murray looked to have wrapped up the set when the Spaniard sent his forehand return wide. A challenge was forthcoming, but proved unsuccessful, giving the Scot the first set.

The serves of both players were under pressure early in the second set, but it was Nadal who faltered first, Murray breaking him to go 3-1 up. The Scotsman was in the driver's seat when he held serve to establish a 4-1 scoreline, but appeared to lose focus for a period allowing Nadal to come storming back with five consecutive games to take the second set.

Murray spent much of that time wincing in pain and clutching at his right side, although his play was not noticeably affected and at no point did he call for the trainer.

The rout looked on when Nadal broke again to go 2-1 up in the third, but seemingly from nowhere, Murray found his rhythm again. First he evened the set when he broke back in the sixth game, then he completed the comeback when he broke in the tenth game to take a two-sets-to-one lead that had looked highly improbable not too long before.

Perhaps struggling to comprehend his abrupt reversal in fortunes, Nadal was shaky before holding his first service game in the fourth, but was put under even more pressure the next time he served.

The Spaniard saved five break points before holding to even the set at 2-2, but in a crucial oversight, Murray failed to use one of his challenges to query a ball that was called out, but was shown to be in. A successful challenge would have seen him go 3-1 up with a break and the momentum, but instead it was his opponent who rallied.

Nadal broke Murray in the seventh game to go 4-3 up and when the Scot double-faulted on break point two games later, the match was headed for a fifth set.

The career five-set records of the respective players - 6-2 for Nadal and 3-3 to Murray - favoured the Spaniard and the numbers didn't lie as the deciding set unfolded.
Nadal achieved the first service break to go 2-0 up, while Murray failed to convert five break points in the very next game and visibly wilted as a result. Broken again in the fourth, the Scot finally held to get on the scoreboard in the last, but the hole was too deep with Nadal serving out the match comfortably.

Match facts

• Murray committed 67 unforced errors to Nadal's 32
• Murray had more break points - 17 to 16 - but Nadal had more breaks - 7 to 3
• Nadal won a total of 166 points to Murray's 149
• Nadal's first-serve percentage was 73 per cent to Murray's 53
• Murray hit 55 winners at the net and Nadal 33

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/match_reports/2007-01-22/200701221169393560711.html

Naide
01-23-2007, 02:14 PM
night session good, ill be able to sleep before

adelaide
01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I've kind of fallen out of the whole tennis cycle but Rafa's run actually has me really excited :banana:

mallorn
01-23-2007, 04:49 PM
^^ :lol: Rafa does that to you. :p

From The Age:
Late night, but Nadal finds touch

by Jake Niall

RAFAEL Nadal didn't get to bed until 6am yesterday and awoke in his hotel about 3.30pm. If that's a preparation for grand slam quarter-finals that even Marat Safin would think twice about, it wasn't a matter of choice for Nadal, who prefers hitting balls to nightclubs.

Nadal's match with Andy Murray, perhaps the Open's most significant to date in terms of present and future ramifications, stretched for almost four hours and didn't finish until 1.50 am.

The Murray match doesn't strike one as the type of tune-up that a No. 2 seed would fancy, either. It was long, late and there were periods when Nadal was on the edge of the cliff — a set down and 2-4. But having survived the ordeal, the Nadal camp now believe that a five-set, four-hour dogfight against a future rival was just what he required.

"I was fighting all the time," said Nadal. "I need one victory like this, no?"

Nadal's full-time public relations man, the ex-ATP official Benito Perez Barbadillo, said that the Spaniard had not been playing, or practising well, in the early part of the tournament, and that his wrestle with Murray had played Nadal into better form.

"When he arrived here, he was playing really bad," said Barbadillo, who added that Nadal didn't blame tiredness — he had no break and came straight from Doha* to Australia — for his struggles. "Just not playing good." Barbadillo added, ruefully: "It didn't happen to Federer yet."

No, Roger isn't showing signs of fatigue, boredom, injury or anything that might cause a stutter in his poetry. Nadal remains the man most likely to stretch or foil Federer — he just eliminated the only other player (Murray) boasting a victory over the champion in the past 13 months.

Nadal, though, can't think like the rest of us and project three matches ahead, or he'll botch the next hurdle, hotter-than-chilli-Chilean, Fernando Gonzales, one of few with a positive ledger (2-1) against the dual French Open champion and Wimbledon finalist.

Gonzales beat Nadal in 2003 and 2004, on clay and hardcourt respectively, results that warrant respect, albeit Nadal was barely 17 on the first occasion. Rafa won their last encounter on Roman clay in straight sets last year and went on to record the most exciting of his four victories over Federer in that final, fending off two match points.

The history between the pair might be bunk, but Gonzales' form isn't. Nadal noted that Gonzales had beaten James Blake, who hitherto had been playing "very good here". Rafa suggested that his best would be required tonight.

Despite the seeming homogenisation of tennis — blokes with big serves, forehands and racquets playing mainly from the baseline — there is still such things as good and bad match-ups. Nadal is Federer's worst match-up, and Federer is a bad match for everyone. Nadal has had anything but a rails run this year. "He's had a very tough draw," said Barbadillo.

While Nadal will have to serve better against Gonzales et al, his sub-par serving against Murray should be discounted. As Barbadillo explained, Nadal deliberately slowed his first serve on Monday night to ensure a high percentage landed — 73 per cent, no less. The reasoning was that Murray is lethal against second serves.

As the Murray-specific plan suggests, Nadal prepares rigorously for each opponent. Even if it means the odd late night and mid-afternoon siesta.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/late-night-but-nadal-finds-touch/2007/01/23/1169518710725.html
*Chennai

mallorn
01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
From The Australian:
Gonzalez has shot against Nadal spin

by Courtney Walsh

ANDY MURRAY has provided hard-hitting Chilean Fernando Gonzalez with a potential blueprint on how to conquer Spanish star Rafael Nadal today. The Scot managed to push the world No.2 to the brink of defeat in a superb tactical display on Monday night, with only his inferior fitness bringing him undone late in the match, won by Nadal 6-7 (3-7) 6-4 4-6 6-3 6-1.

Central to Murray's theme was a premise to finish points as early as possible against Nadal, thus denying the Spaniard the chance to work his opponent from one side of the court to the other with his heavy, top-spin groundstrokes.

Murray, now coached by Brad Gilbert, was more aggressive than usual, tried for more outright winners and regularly approached the net.

"I wanted to try and keep the points a little bit shorter. Naturally not many guys want to trade shots ground for ground with him," Murray said. "But I played maybe 20, 30 per cent more aggressive tonight than I normally would."

Given his firepower, particularly off the forehand, Gonzalez is well-equipped to end points, as he showed in his past two wins against Lleyton Hewitt and James Blake.

The Hewitt match is a more reliable guide to the Chilean's chances against Nadal than his defeat of Blake, given the Australian's preference for grinding baseline rallies.

Gonzalez barely made an unforced error against Hewitt early but will find Nadal's heavy spin shots more difficult to handle.

Murray, who varied tactics throughout the match, also used subtle changes to depth, height, pace and spin to frustrate Nadal's attempts to dictate the match in the first two sets.

While Gonzalez, the world No.9, regularly slices his backhand, he lacks the variety and guile of Murray and conceded his best form occurs when hitting freely from the baseline.

But Murray is not discounting the 26-year-old's chances. "It depends what your game style is. You know, there's probably not just one way to beat him," Murray said.

"The guy hasn't beaten Federer six times for nothing.

"You have to do everything well and you have to play a really, really solid match if you want to win."

That could be where it gets tricky for Gonzalez, who has struggled in the past with trying to be too perfect in big matches.

"I'll try to make my game and maybe don't try to play too good, you know," Gonzalez said.

"That's a big error that sometimes I make."

Gonzalez, whose career has surged since hiring coach Larry Stefanki, will take some confidence from the fact he is in career best form and holds a 2-1 lead over Nadal in head-to-head matches, although he was soundly beaten 6-4 6-3 in their most recent meeting in Italy last year. A wary Nadal believes his quarter-final rival is a superior player since hiring Stefanki.

"Sometimes last year I saw him and he played all the time at full (pace), pushing hard, very hard all the time with the forehand," Nadal said. "Now he's playing with more calm all the time, sometimes slicing the backhand. He's improved a lot."

But unfortunately for Gonzalez, Nadal believes he, too, has stepped up. He said he moved a step closer to Grand Slam winning form against Murray.

"It was a very, very, very important match for me," Nadal said.

"I was fighting all the time. I needed one victory like this. Andy is playing at an unbelievable level. I am happy for the victory because, before the match, I knew I was going to be a very difficult match against one of the best of the world."

Murray had one final tip Gonzalez would be wise to remember.

"Don't leave the ball in the middle of the court to his forehand," Murray said. "If you do that, you're going to do a lot of running."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21107293-2722,00.html

NicoFan
01-23-2007, 05:44 PM
This is in Spanish - sorry, I'm at work so I don't have time to translate it - kind of interesting on what Rafa is doing to recuperate from his long match against Murray.

From latercera.cl:

El tenista español, Rafael Nadal, rival de Fernando González por los cuartos de final del Abierto de Australia, debió someterse a una serie de rutinas para llegar en forma al duelo con el chileno, luego de las casi cuatro horas que empleó para derrotar al británico, Andy Murray.

Nadal, que por quinta vez llegó a los cinco sets, necesitó de un tratamiento especial de recuperación física para el duelo de la madrugada del miércoles (05.30 horas de Chile) ante el "Bombardero de La Reina".

El fisioterapeuta del español, Rafael Maymó explicó las medidas adoptadas para la recuperación del dos de la clasificación mundial.

"Primero, justo después del partido, hacemos regeneración aeróbica con la bicicleta para la musculatura, y en el hotel un baño de contraste en la bañera fría helada, con cubitos de hielo, sin pasarse porque es duro a esas horas de la noche y tampoco apetece mucho, y luego una ducha caliente para coger ese contraste y regenerar", señaló Maymó.

"Después hay que meter un poquito de mano, porque tras un partido como ese se queda un poco tocado", explicó Maymó, quien destacó la capacidad de su pupilo para sobreponerse al esfuerzo físico.

"'Rafa' recupera bien, y aquí tenemos la suerte de que tenemos un día entre partido y partido, porque si hoy (martes) tuviera que jugar sería muy duro. En un día y medio se puede recuperar muy bien", manifestó.

El fisioterapeuta explicó que siempre están vigilantes especialmente con su pie izquierdo, "porque es donde tuvo el principal problema el año pasado, pero es un tema que está controlado y con el que estamos pendiente siempre", además de poner especial énfasis en el cuidado de sus piernas, finalizó.

http://www.latercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3308_5832_248251186,00.html

yana
01-23-2007, 05:45 PM
i hope it goes well. rafa plays well against latinos, at least that's my impression. but i'm really unlucky, cos i can't see tomorow match either. why they can't put him to play in the afternoon?

RogiFan88
01-23-2007, 06:34 PM

if he didn't have some kind of confidence, he w have lost in 4 sets but he hung in and won in 5; he's more confident this week than he was at USO06

adee-gee
01-23-2007, 08:56 PM
And Adam... :smash: You had me loca all day thinking that our Rafa played poorly. I should know better than to trust you. :haha:
:lol: I don't think he did play well :shrug:

Maybe it's just because I've been watching some matches from the clay court season and Wimbledon last year, but it just seems to me like his game is not even close to how it was then.
if he didn't have some kind of confidence, he w have lost in 4 sets but he hung in and won in 5; he's more confident this week than he was at USO06
He's mentally strong, a lot stronger than Murray, that's why I think he won. If he was confident he wouldn't be looking up to his box for guidance every 5 minutes. He's making an uncharacteristic amount of unforced errors and getting very frustrated, he just doesn't really look confident to me....I agree he's probably slightly better off than he was at the US Open, that match against Youzhny was horrendous he couldn't keep the ball in play in the 4th set.

Sunset of Age
01-23-2007, 09:19 PM
:He's making an uncharacteristic amount of unforced errors and getting very frustrated, he just doesn't really look confident to me....

At least his Main Rival seems to be suffering likewise. ;)

Johnny Groove
01-23-2007, 09:24 PM
will rafa ever get to see the light of day in a match? :o

hes played basically every match either at night (or in the morning :o ), with the roof closed, or both

RogiFan88
01-23-2007, 09:26 PM
:lol: I don't think he did play well :shrug:

Maybe it's just because I've been watching some matches from the clay court season and Wimbledon last year, but it just seems to me like his game is not even close to how it was then.

He's mentally strong, a lot stronger than Murray, that's why I think he won. If he was confident he wouldn't be looking up to his box for guidance every 5 minutes. He's making an uncharacteristic amount of unforced errors and getting very frustrated, he just doesn't really look confident to me....I agree he's probably slightly better off than he was at the US Open, that match against Youzhny was horrendous he couldn't keep the ball in play in the 4th set.

winning the match is more than just "slightly better"

as Rafa says, "we shall see" in the next match -- how does Fena compare to Wee Andrew as Rafa's opponent?

sondraj06
01-23-2007, 10:16 PM
could anyone help me out, I'm in the U.S, and I need to know when Nadal is going to play here, thanx.

adee-gee
01-23-2007, 10:22 PM
At least his Main Rival seems to be suffering likewise. ;)
His main rival is still playing considerably better though :sad:
winning the match is more than just "slightly better"

as Rafa says, "we shall see" in the next match -- how does Fena compare to Wee Andrew as Rafa's opponent?
Very different....I fear that Gonzalez will dictate too many of the points, whoever wins will be down to him. If he's on fire and keeps hammering winners, there isn't much Rafa can do about it....hopefully he has an off day though :unsure:
could anyone help me out, I'm in the U.S, and I need to know when Nadal is going to play here, thanx.
Depends what part of the US you're in ;) probably around 3.30am :o

Sunset of Age
01-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Well people, hope you're all looking forward to seeing Rafa's next match as much as I am!

9:30 AM for us in Europe. I'll be watching.

VAMOS RAFA!!!

Johnny Groove
01-24-2007, 01:55 AM
hey guys, i cut my hair. i hope i dont jinx him :scared:

then again, i last cut my hair during Madrid, so who knows :shrug:

MariaV
01-24-2007, 04:46 AM
I finally got to watching some of the match vs Murray, that should give Rafa some confidence as he himself said. :D
But what I noticed Rafa again acknowledged his opponent with a gesture after the match like he did with Fed last year in their great finals and I think he has done that on other occasions too. Have you seen anyone else doing that? At least I haven't and that's one more reason why I simply love Rafa.
Buena suerte hoy, Rafael! VAMOS!!!!!! :yippee: :bounce: :bigclap: :banana:

Lopaka
01-24-2007, 05:45 AM
I can't say I recall Rafa acknowledging an opponet (and Roger) exactly as he did Andy Murray the other evening. They both deserved recognition for their determination and athletic ability shown during that marathon match.

My strongest memory of Rafa as a gentleman and spotsman is the why he stepped back at Wimbledon after his win over Andre Agassi. It does not seem we see those selfless qualities much these days. The concern for the sport and others are certainly quailities I admire in Rafa. :worship: Having been a fan of Andre and even more of a fan of Rafa those scenes still bring a lump to my throat.

MariaV
01-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Oh, I definitely remember he did the same gesture to Roger after the Rome final, I noticed it back then already. (And it was also a great great match, one of the best last year IMO.) I'd need to check about the MC final but I'm sure it wasn't the first time he did that. OK, never mind.

mallorn
01-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Damn it. :shout: Not only is he playing the last QF, :shout: they can't even put him on the court as scheduled :shout:. 40 minutes from now, he'll finish in the middle of the night again. :shout:

And it's been snowing here all night and I've got tonnes of snow to remove and soon I've got to go to work for about an hour. :shout:

mallorn
01-24-2007, 08:42 AM

VAMOS RAFA!

MariaV
01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Why will it take so long until Rafa's match? :mad: I am still at work. I'll go home soon. Sorry about the snow Ania, we have snow too. :(

mallorn
01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
No idea. :shrug:

It's snowing again. I need to take a taxi.

I hate snow. :bigcry:

MariaV
01-24-2007, 09:11 AM
:hug: :hug: Don't cry, dear. Thinking of Rafa should make you smile! :hug: ;)
It's sunny here, and not snowing any more. :D

I guess it'll take 40 min to get the day session spectators out and the night session spectators in. Too bad the matches were so long today. :(

mallorn
01-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks. :hug: I'm too nervous to smile, actually.

Yeah, I guess that's why. Why did they have to take so long. :(

Ok, I'm off now. :wavey:

MariaV
01-24-2007, 09:15 AM
I hope you'll come back to good news! :hug: :wavey:

adee-gee
01-24-2007, 09:56 AM
I've got snow as well :banana:

Rafa's a break down in first set, 4-2 to be honest he's playing really well actually, Gonzo just came up with a few huge shots to break. Rafa's had a few break points but not really had much of a chance on them.

adee-gee
01-24-2007, 10:06 AM
First set Gonzo 6-2....Rafa's not playing that badly, just too good from Gonzo :shrug:

maqk
01-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Rafa whats wrong, y r u losing, break gonzo all time

mallorn
01-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Well, I'm back, and Rafa is two sets to love down. I was right to be nervous. :bigcry: