Who Will Win Hrbaty or Agassi ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who Will Win Hrbaty or Agassi ?

rassklovn
03-14-2004, 07:19 AM
I have to say I am looking forward to this match, so can the Dominator continue his great 2004 form and take out Agassi in the next round?

Hrbaty does play well against the top players. He leads Agassi 2-1 in the H2h, and the match Agassi won at the French Hrbaty had enough opportunities in that 2nd set breaker to bust it open.

Hrbaty is intimidated by Agassi's game and he beat him the only time they played on hardcourt in Miami 99.

Hopefully Hrbaty can continue his form and take Agassi out of Wells.

Domino
03-14-2004, 07:38 AM
It can go either way. You can't count Agassi out of any match until it is over, but he has that injury hanging over his head, and Hrbaty is blooming with confidence. I am leaning towards the Dominator, but Agassi is Agassi.

WyveN
03-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Not sure the form Andre is in right now but I have to pick him.
Simply because I saw Grosjean destroy Dominic at Aus Open in the last 3 sets and Andre is a bit better then Seb. Also Andre likes this surface

rassklovn
03-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Not sure the form Andre is in right now but I have to pick him.
Simply because I saw Grosjean destroy Dominic at Aus Open in the last 3 sets and Andre is a bit better then Seb. Also Andre likes this surface

My brother said that Hrbaty was handling him easily leading a set and a break, then halfway the 2nd set Grosjean was just playing out of his mind was that true? He didn't go to that match you know.

I see your point but how he plays against Grosjean isn't the same as playing against Agassi. As you know some players games match up better with others.

The thing is I hope people won't start whining about injury excuses if Agassi loses this match.

CooCooCachoo
03-14-2004, 08:03 AM
I think Baldy will be able to clinch the victory, because I don't consider Hrbaty someone who is able to beat the biggest of players out there. But he has a good shot at winning (probably his best ever) and I hope he can pull it off.

WyveN
03-14-2004, 08:04 AM
No, injury excuses aren't justifiable. If Andre was injured he wouldn't play here like he didn't in Scottsdale.

The reason I am using Grosjean as a example is that Grosjean and Andre have similar game types and this is on a similar surface.

It is true that Hrbarty looked like he was cruising to victory for a set and a half but after that Grosjean just completely turned the match around.

I only saw the last set during which Seb was playing amazing and Dominic was a bit down on himself so not sure what caused the turnaround.

Would be good to see Dominic get a win but I doubt it will happen.

Action Jackson
03-14-2004, 08:15 AM
I think Indian Wells is a lot quicker than Melbourne Park though Wyver, but I can see the reference.

The thing is the last time they played was in 2000 and Hrbaty has improved his consistency from those days.

The Grosjean/Agassi reference I can see that but Agassi hits with more pace than Grosjean and Hrbaty loves power, I can see an upset brewing.

CooCooCachoo, Hrbaty has a positive record against Agassi, Safin, Kafelnikov (when he was good), Rios (when he was a top player), gave Sampras plenty of problems. I think that's good enough.

WyveN
03-14-2004, 09:06 AM
I remmember Hrbarty choking big time against Sampras on a very hot day at AO in the 4th round. 97 I think.

rassklovn
03-14-2004, 09:07 AM
That Hrbaty did, I was there and he had him but he was feeling the heat but not literally.

Satanic Pasteur
03-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Hrbaty also leads Roger but they only played once a long time ago.

I saw the whole match between Dominator and Seb and it was a very good one I think.
The two know each other for a long time because they were rivals during their junior years.
During first set and a half Hrbaty was almost unplayable making Grosjean run everywhere but Seb began to mix up the paces and had some luck on key points and that was enough to turn the tide of the battle because Dominator often looks robotic and when his opponent play smart by using all shots (like Grosjean did alterning sliced and flat backhands, flat and topspin forehands) he can be in big trouble. He also forced Hrbaty to come to the net a few times and in this area he is hardly better than Enqvist :devil:

After second set, the match was over and Seb cruised to victory with Hrbaty looking lost on the court, it was an interesting match from a strategic point mainly.
At times, it looked like a lesson we could call "how to destroy the machine".

azza
03-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Dominik

joeb_uk
03-14-2004, 12:17 PM
"I think Baldy will be able to clinch the victory, because I don't consider Hrbaty someone who is able to beat the biggest of players out there."

i agree coocy

armaniman
03-14-2004, 12:27 PM
I will be very surprised if agassi doesnt win although chipmonk was showing some good form before his match where he retired with the flu.

Action Jackson
03-14-2004, 12:30 PM
joeb, so Safin isn't a top player then? Yes, he has beaten Roddick, Federer, Agassi, Coria as well, then again they are probably not players in your eyes?

Experimentee
03-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Hrbaty is definitely able to beat top players and has a good chance of doing so against Agassi. I wasnt aware that Agassi had an injury, if so it makes Hrbaty's chances better.

However I'm still leaning towards Agassi, because sometimes Dominik has problems with consistency, for example at the AO he played his best tennis against Gaudio, carried that on for about a set and a half against Grosjean but then started to miss everything. Grosjean was also playing smart, running and retrieving everything and mixing things up. I dont get the comparison with Agassi there, on that night Grosjean was running like a rabbit and getting everything back, Andre normally will not run unless he is sure he will reach the ball. Also Andre doesnt have as much of a variety of spins and slices like Grosjean does, and is more an attacking player rather than a defender. They are completely different players. The way Grosjean was playing at the AO bothered Dominik, but i think the way Andre plays will play right into Dominik's hands. He just needs to worry about his consistency.

AgassiFan
03-14-2004, 04:18 PM
<<<<<No, injury excuses aren't justifiable. >>>>>>

If course they are justifiable. This is tennis, not chess. The difference in skill level between a #1 player and a #15 player can be negated with a groin or hamstring pull. Easy.

People get injured DURING matches, not before. They also feel better, enter a tourney and it flares up. Etc.

Andre is 33 going on 34. At his healthiest he can still beat anybody. But bring nagging injuries in the equation and he can't compete.

I do have my doubts. I know he had a wrist inury that led him to skip 2002 AO. He has, knock-knock, since recovered from it obviously. But what about the rumors he was injured around summer 2003? What about his injury status NOW? Any confirmations?

Deboogle!.
03-14-2004, 04:25 PM
If course they are justifiable. This is tennis, not chess. The difference in skill level between a #1 player and a #15 player can be negated with a groin or hamstring pull. Easy.

People get injured DURING matches, not before. They also feel better, enter a tourney and it flares up. Etc.

I think Wyver's point was that if Andre is injured enough to where it would affect his game, he shouldn't even be playing in the first place.

Regardless, after his match yesterday against Sanchez he said he felt ok, so it's a non-issue anyway.

It's tough to pick against Andre, but it seems like Hrbaty will play him close at least, if not pull it out. Should be a good one!

AgassiFan
03-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Regardless, after his match yesterday against Sanchez he said he felt ok, so it's a non-issue anyway.

Just ok? What about feeling great, I thought it was a code for "ok".

What was he feeling OK from anyway? He barely played in the last 7 months since USO.

What's the dealie with the injury?

Deboogle!.
03-14-2004, 06:11 PM
I meant ok in a very general sense, geez lol

He pulled out of Scottsdale with some hip something or other. I don't think he'd push playing at IW if he wasn't healthy enough to, I'm not worried about Andre

AgassiFan
03-14-2004, 06:20 PM
He pulled out of Scottsdale with some hip something or other

Let's hope it's "other" becauser at this point, hip/knee/ankle/back/wrist/shoulder injury = retirement

And I want Andre to play until 2006 and win a coupla mo' slams.

Deboogle!.
03-14-2004, 06:34 PM
no no it was definitely hip, I was there and that's what it said in the local paper.

You take things so literally lol. I said "something or other" b/c I'm not sure what exactly was wrong with the hip, since it didn't say anywhere.

J. Corwin
03-14-2004, 09:02 PM
I pick Agassi to win in straights

Billabong
03-14-2004, 10:22 PM
GOOOOO ANDRE:D!!!

WyveN
03-14-2004, 10:28 PM
I meant ok in a very general sense, geez lol

He pulled out of Scottsdale with some hip something or other. I don't think he'd push playing at IW if he wasn't healthy enough to, I'm not worried about Andre

i agree, the amount of physical activity to win *each point* in tennis is amazing. Unlike in say a team sport, it is extremely difficult to play tennis competetively if your not near 100%

tangerine_dream
03-15-2004, 04:39 AM
I have a feeling this match is going to be so close. :scared: But I want Andre to win, of course. I hope he does and that he's injury-free. :banana:

Denise
03-15-2004, 06:54 AM
AGASSI for sure!!! :angel: Go egg head!!!!!!!!!!!! lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll :mad: :devil: :devil:

alfonsojose
03-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Go Andre ..!

Rainer :sad:

rassklovn
03-16-2004, 06:00 AM
Hrbaty made too many UE and served poorly, and decided when he was behind not to try and change anything i.e take the pace of the ball, throw some heavy balls, just flat, flat, flat then again that is his weakness is his predictability.

Agassi served very well and was soild, but he didn't get that much of a workout and deserved to win as easily as he did.

J. Corwin
03-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Andre just too good for Domink today

WyveN
03-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Dominic doesn't have much to hurt the consistent powerful baseliners

Leo
03-16-2004, 04:38 PM
So much for that.