Least Coachable Player [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Least Coachable Player

Devotee
03-14-2004, 05:06 AM
Which player would you least like to coach?

MisterQ
03-14-2004, 05:09 AM
Fernando Gonzalez. Totally unwilling to do anything but hit the ball as hard as he can, even if the chance of making the shot is almost zero. Defense is not in his vocabulary. A coach's nightmare!

It's too bad, though, because if he would listen to a coach and think on the court, his ranking could improve dramatically.

rassklovn
03-14-2004, 05:36 AM
Devo, where is the other option there are two players on that list who should be there.

Rios - all that natural talent and didn't believe in working hard and also having the tendency not to turn up playing when he didn't feel like it.

Action Jackson
03-14-2004, 05:38 AM
Rass, would the other one be Gaston Gaudio?

He is definitely a coaches nightmare, he has plenty of talent, one of the best backhands, great defensive skills, speed, but the choking and the mental problems associated with him are incredibly hard to deal with and I don't think a psychologist would be able to do much with him.

Fedex
03-14-2004, 06:10 AM
Gonzo, as well. But MisterQ, i think that IS what is coach's advice/strategy is, hit the fucken ball as hard as you can!!!

sebastiagol
03-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Gonzalez always hit the ball very hard, since he was a little boy, and always his coachs said to him that he had to hit it more slowly.. but he never wanted to.

except by Horacio De la Peña.

Fedex
03-14-2004, 06:20 AM
Perhaps, he should of taken his coachs' advice??

sebastiagol
03-14-2004, 06:32 AM
maybe, but that his style..everything or nothing

Domino
03-14-2004, 06:35 AM
From what I saw in Vina Del Mar, Gonzo wasn't killing every ball, and was playing a lot smarter. Possibly his loss to Duckboy in Aus Open taught him something.

I would have to go with Federer here. He can say to his coach, "I don't need you to win big titles," and fire them.

rassklovn
03-14-2004, 06:47 AM
From what I saw in Vina Del Mar, Gonzo wasn't killing every ball, and was playing a lot smarter. Possibly his loss to Duckboy in Aus Open taught him something.

I would have to go with Federer here. He can say to his coach, "I don't need you to win big titles," and fire them.

But who got him there initally Domino? It was Lundgren and Carter, but no need for him to find a coach at this moment in time.

Gonzo could easily mix it up and has done it, no one remembers the dropshots that were sending Agassi mad, but he doesn't have the consistency. I think he should actually get fitter.

Domino
03-14-2004, 07:18 AM
"Least Coachable" - refers to the now. Federer is the least coachable now because he has no need for a coach.

rassklovn
03-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Or it could mean they are so hard to coach, that is virtually impossible to coach them.

Domino
03-14-2004, 07:22 AM
It is all up to interpretation. I just believe right now Federer should be almost impossible to coach because now he knows he doesn't need one.

Dirk
03-14-2004, 09:10 AM
If Roger starts to struggle then I think he will get a new coach. He said not having one helped because he would spend more time on his own to figure out tactics against an opponent. At this point I don't think he needs one. In fact I could see him going the whole year without one.

sigmagirl91
03-14-2004, 06:28 PM
I almost said Safin, but I changed my mind and went with Hewitt because it seems like, at one time, that he switched coaches as often as I changed clothes.

Horatio Caine
03-14-2004, 06:39 PM
I would've thought Rusedski is someone anyone would least like to coach. At one time he went through more coaches than racquets smashed by Marat Safin! Now he has trouble finding a new coach, and is it any wonder?!! I have to say that I side with him on the whole Pat Cash hate issue. Cash is a fucking knob.

jazz_girl
03-14-2004, 06:40 PM

He is definitely a coaches nightmare, he has plenty of talent, one of the best backhands, great defensive skills, speed, but the choking and the mental problems associated with him are incredibly hard to deal with and I don't think a psychologist would be able to do much with him.
I totally agree, I was thinking about him too!

Maria Giulia
03-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Federer, he has no need of a coach IMO. :)

Maria Giulia
03-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Hmmm... sorry, I didn't understand the question of the thread... Btw, I wouldn't like to coach Safin, because he seems too indipendent to me...

sigmagirl91
03-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Safin needs me to coach him; I'll whoop his narrow ass.....

*Ljubica*
03-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Either Gaudio or Safin - both nice guys, but both must be a total nightmare for a coach.

jazz_girl
03-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Safin needs me to coach him; I'll whoop his narrow ass.....
LOL!!!! I'd love to see that!!!

Angelito
03-14-2004, 11:36 PM

No doubt, Gaudio would be a nightmare. He just doesn't like tennis, so why would I coach him?

Ma. Estefania
03-15-2004, 01:06 AM
Philippoussis....