Best Nation Of Fans? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Best Nation Of Fans?

joeb_uk
03-13-2004, 05:02 PM
hey guys, i was wondering with all of your experiences who have you found to the be the best nation, when you have travelled to tournaments etc?

*Ljubica*
03-13-2004, 06:11 PM
hey guys, i was wondering with all of your experiences who have you found to the be the best nation, when you have travelled to tournaments etc?

Personally, I would say the Aussies are among the best. They are passionate about their sport, and obviously support their own guys, but they are generally very fair-minded and applaud anyone who plays well and plays fair. They seem to enjoy themselves too - bringing quite a party atmosphere to the court.

Marine
03-13-2004, 06:23 PM
I'd say like Rosie.

"when you have travelled to tournaments etc?" ...but it would be better to put the question to the players themself, no ? lol

Deboogle!.
03-13-2004, 06:36 PM
I've always heard the best things about the Australian crowds too.

I've only ever seen one crowd live and in person and it was an American crowd, which happened to be very knowledgable about tennis in general and all the players got support, but I know American crowds are not always like this lol

oxy
03-13-2004, 06:57 PM
i heard about davis cup 2000...so my guess is spain's is definitely one of the worst.

Shadow
03-13-2004, 06:59 PM
i agree with everything Rosie said. definetly the Aussies!!!! :worship:

the worst is the American crowd.

tangerine_dream
03-13-2004, 07:59 PM
I like the Australian and American crowds. They seem very similar: loud, passionate, fun, and generally polite towards visiting teams. :bigclap:

faboozadoo15
03-13-2004, 10:10 PM
:rolleyes: at those who say american crowds are the worst... have you seen a match televised in france, germany, spain, argentina, chile, croatia.....

seems like the asian crowds are awesome. they attend well, and give a lot of support.

Havok
03-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Canadian crowds:shrug: we got no top players, so we pretty much cheer for whoever is on the court really

Kristen
03-14-2004, 12:46 AM
I can't really give an opinion since I've never left Australia (yes, poor me! I NEEd to go to Europe). But, the Aussie crowds...well, we either act like total asses to the players *re. Davis Cup last month/clapping on double faults* or pick some stupid/endearing characteristic about a player to support him.

It's a lot of fun, unless you're an Aussie going for Sweden, and the guy behind you yells out 'you're full of bullshit björkman!" Anyway, most of the time its just a few people that embarrass me for being an Aussie tennis fan! ;)

Ma. Estefania
03-14-2004, 01:29 AM
I think that definitely the best fans talking about being polite, respectful, but at the same time cheerful, etc. would be definitely the Aussies.

But IMO the best crowds talking about support are the noisy ones, and in that case are the latinamerican ones. I know that most of them are not respectful at all; but when you're there among them, supporting, cheering, etc. I think you really don't think in respect or in the way the "other"(rival) will feel affected.

Marine
03-14-2004, 09:02 AM
"have you seen a match televised in france, germany, spain, argentina, chile, croatia..... "

You can't compare france germany with matches in south america !!!!

amethyst
03-14-2004, 10:36 AM
From everything I saw on TV I would say Aussies (very passionate AND very fair). The Asian fans in Masters Cup Shanghai were amazing, too.

joske
03-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Canadian crowds:shrug: we got no top players, so we pretty much cheer for whoever is on the court really

Maybe that's the key then? :)

Oh and well I've never even been to a big tourney *neither have I been to a small one :( * but yeh it seems to me that Aussies make great crowds.... I read somewhere that sports are like their religion, and well, looking at events like the AU Open I think that's not an exaggeration :)
They seem like one of the fairest crowds (fair as in fair-play that is :))

Angelito
03-15-2004, 12:39 AM
We Argentinians could be a really bad crowd but we're also very cheerful and supportive with foreing players. If you don't believe me ask Moyá or Gasquet.
Still we're really far of being the best nation of tennis crowds.

faboozadoo15
03-15-2004, 02:43 AM
"have you seen a match televised in france, germany, spain, argentina, chile, croatia..... "

You can't compare france germany with matches in south america !!!!
that's true... but all of them have higher instances of rude behavior.
americans just go for americans... in other countries fans go against players for no reason...

Lisbeth
03-15-2004, 02:55 AM
I think the French crowds are definitely the best dressed!

I also think the Wimbledon crowds always seem very knowledgeable and polite. A little subdued but that's probably because of the trauma they went through to get in!

Other than that I think most countries have good and bad points. Most Aussies are fair and sporting but a few are not. Similarly some French may be intolerant, some Americans blinded by patriotism and some Argentinians rowdy and thoughtless, but mostly tennis crowds in all those places are great.

Leo
03-15-2004, 02:58 AM
How about the Spanish? :devil:

Kidding of course, but I don't think they're that much worse than other crowds, as many people say. Nor are the Aussies as angelic as many think.

Lisbeth
03-15-2004, 03:10 AM
I think one problem is that certain incidents give a bad reputation, for example the Spanish have been pretty bad at recent Davis Cup finals (compared to, say, Aussies at the same event), yet they might be lovely in the early rounds and at tournaments.

You're right though, Aussies are certainly not angelic. However I think cheering good points on both sides (which we almost universally manage to do) covers a lot of other sins in the eyes of players!

Leo
03-15-2004, 03:13 AM
True, they can be very respectful to non-Aussies.

But after reading some reports I'd say the Aussies' behavior at the DC final last year almost rivaled that of the Spaniards three years before. That damn Corretja doll, for one thing. :rolleyes: I was also astonished when they unfairly booed Serena off the court after winning her '03 AO semifinal against Kimmy.

Lisbeth
03-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Um, I didn't see the booing incident so I can't really comment but I would be very, very surprised if that happened. My understanding was thet the clapping was heavily geared towards Kim so Serena got silence rather than boos. I'm sorry if I'm wrong. I have seen an Aussie crowd boo any athletes exactly one. It was at the Olympics and involved the worst display by a team I ever seen, and even then only about 10% of people joined in with the rest going "shoosh"!

Agree some of the attitude to the Spanish and Swedes was out of line but it was all relatively limited in the overall atmosphere whereas in Spain it just seemed persistent. Maybe the Aussie bad behavious was focused on by the media where you are - and maybe the Spanish bad behaviour was also overexposed here! I suspect both considering what the Davis Cup is.

Lisbeth
03-15-2004, 03:23 AM
Anyway, I didn't come in here to defend Aussie but rather to point out that every country has its good and bad eggs.

Leo
03-15-2004, 04:49 AM
Very true, unfortunately.

Denise
03-15-2004, 06:50 AM
THE BEST CROWD ARE US, THE BRAZILIANS!!! Lollll..... we scream, we cheer them up.... we're realllly nice!! specially if u are not a brazilian tennis player!! Lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll calleri, tell them how's ur week when u was here, in Costa do Sauipe - Brasil Open :devil: :devil:

trixy
03-15-2004, 08:06 AM
Well as much as I love Australian crowds (seeing as I'm a part of them) but i think recently this tag that we seemed to have received as 'one of the best crowds' has made us do the complete opposite, I sweart at the Aussie open i felt like Lleyton Hewitt wanted to turn every match into a davis cup tie. From my limited experience with other crowds I'd say the chinese they were absolutely spectacular doing the TMC shangai.

WyveN
03-15-2004, 08:11 AM
I find the Australian Open crowds are terrific.......knowledgeable, fair and know how to have fun.

In DC it is a different story though as I find the fanatics to be morons, but even they add to the atmosphere

Chloe le Bopper
03-15-2004, 08:21 AM
How about the Spanish? :devil:

Kidding of course, but I don't think they're that much worse than other crowds, as many people say. Nor are the Aussies as angelic as many think.
heh. Me likes the Spanish crowd, they are very passionate ;) "Ferrrrrrrreerrrroooooooooooooooo" during the opponents service motion... RAH! ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-15-2004, 08:22 AM
I find the Australian Open crowds are terrific.......knowledgeable, fair and know how to have fun.

In DC it is a different story though as I find the fanatics to be morons, but even they add to the atmosphere
I like crazy DC crowds. That's what makes DC, imo, is the crowd and how into it they are.

I think that the guys who bitch and moan about the crazy home crowds need to suck it up and quit bitching. That is assuming that they aren't gettind chairs and bottles thrown at them, in which case they have every reason to run for their lives. And yes, Hewitt, I'm talking to you. And yes, I have seen "the" match... likely more times than any of you have ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Um, I didn't see the booing incident so I can't really comment but I would be very, very surprised if that happened. My understanding was thet the clapping was heavily geared towards Kim so Serena got silence rather than boos. I'm sorry if I'm wrong. I have seen an Aussie crowd boo any athletes exactly one. It was at the Olympics and involved the worst display by a team I ever seen, and even then only about 10% of people joined in with the rest going "shoosh"!

Agree some of the attitude to the Spanish and Swedes was out of line but it was all relatively limited in the overall atmosphere whereas in Spain it just seemed persistent. Maybe the Aussie bad behavious was focused on by the media where you are - and maybe the Spanish bad behaviour was also overexposed here! I suspect both considering what the Davis Cup is.
The Spanish crowds behavior was not "bad", imo. They didn't yell at out threads at the Aussie's, they didn't chuck things at them. They were just bloody loud and booed Hewitt a few times. Big f-ing deal. Welcome to Davis Cup... time to stop crying about it ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-15-2004, 08:27 AM
(of course, by "a few times" I mean "persistently, throughout the entire match" ;))

Lisbeth
03-16-2004, 01:37 AM
(of course, by "a few times" I mean "persistently, throughout the entire match" ;))

;) LOL!

But I agree that while a bit of common decency goes a long way, rowdy crowds are, and probably should be, part and parcel of Davis Cup and players just have to deal with it.

Lisbeth
03-16-2004, 01:39 AM
Well as much as I love Australian crowds (seeing as I'm a part of them) but i think recently this tag that we seemed to have received as 'one of the best crowds' has made us do the complete opposite, I sweart at the Aussie open i felt like Lleyton Hewitt wanted to turn every match into a davis cup tie. From my limited experience with other crowds I'd say the chinese they were absolutely spectacular doing the TMC shangai.

Yep the Chinese were absoultely great. Crowds with limited chance to see a sport often are good, but they were exceptional.

propi
03-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Spanish :bounce:
But the question in soooo relative... I don't thing 2 people share the same notion :confused:

naiwen
03-18-2004, 09:03 AM
fans by tournaments:

AO: sweet
RG: loud, and not friendly to the players they don't like (e.g.: Serena)
Wimbledon: good, polite
US Open: very bad to non-American players (e.g.: Roddick vs Nalbandian)